Music School Chapter 12

Printer-friendly version

Lindsey watches the football game from her seat. Her saxophone was resting on her lap, until they had to go out and play. Their marching uniform was making her hot. She hated playing at the football game and she found the game boring.

She looks over towards Tessa. She was playing the keyboard percussion instrument. It took her a while to get use to playing it. It made a nice tone as you struck the keys on it.

“I will be glad when this football game is over. We’re losing by ten points.” Sara had leaned over to talk to Lindsey.

Her band was entering the Battle of the Bands contest. So, far there has been over sixteen bands that have entered. Most of them were made up of members from every grade level.

“Well, we still have the rest of the game to attend to.” Lindsey checks her mouth piece on her sax.

By 10:00 pm. the football game was over. Lindsey couldn’t believe her school lost the game by three points. She gets on the school bus that brought them and secure her instruments. Sara sits next to her.

Lindsey looks at her “you know, you normally don’t sit next to me. What’s up?”

“I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind listening to a demo me and my friends made. I know you can’t show favors while judging, but we want your impression and what we can do to improve our music. This is our first time playing before a crowd.” Sara hands Lindsey a thumb drive.

“Alright, I’ll listen to it and make some recommendations for you. Are you and your band available this weekend?” Lindsey had an idea to help the group play in front of a group of people.

“I can ask them. What do you have in mind?” Sara was curious.

“I’ll let you know. Bring them up to the studio tomorrow. If any one needs to be picked up. Let me know and I’ll send Krist to pick them up.” Lindsey hears her cellphone beep.

She pulls it out and notices that it was Shirley in Atlanta texting her. They have been texting back and forth with one another. Shirley had been taken and placed with her aunt Jenny. Her birth mother and father had been found dead when she got home from the concert. They had overdose on heroin mixed with fentanyl. Lindsey helped her through everything and even attended her parent’s funeral.

Shirley was like a sister to her. She was only a year younger then Lindsey herself.

The text read: Q: What is the difference between a drummer and a vacuum cleaner?

“I don’t know. What is the difference between a drummer and a vacuum cleaner?”

A: You have to plug one of them in before it sucks.

ROFL! Lindsey had a smile on her face.

“Do you have any more?” Lindsey liked that joke.

Q: What's the difference between a saxophone and a chainsaw?

“I don't know, what is the difference between a saxophone and a chainsaw?”

A: You can tune a chainsaw.

A smiley face shows up on Lindsey’s screen.

“What am I going to do with you?” Lindsey liked Shirley’s jokes.

“Teach me how to play the guitar.” Shirley wanted to learn how to play.

“Alright, I’ll skype with on Sunday, after I come back from practice.” Lindsey figures she could help Shirley learn by Skyping.

“How was the football game?” Shirley knew Lindsey was going to be playing during half time at the game.

“We lost by three points.” Lindsey figures she’ll be honest to Shirley.

The school bus she was on, arrives back at the school. Barbara was waiting for her.

“See you on Sunday, Lindsey.” Sara waves at her, as she walks over to a silver pick-up truck.

Lindsey waves back to her. She walks over to her mother’s car and spot Greg in the car as well. Lindsey gets in the back.

“How was the game?” Greg was curious.

“We lost by three points.” Lindsey takes her marching jacket off.

“You sound like you were bored.” Barbara looks in the rear view mirror at Lindsey.

“I was. I really don’t like watching a bunch of guys run around on a field trying to hurt one another entertaining.” Lindsey leans back against the back seat.

Barbara just smiles at her daughter as they head home. She was amused by Lindsey’s statement. She pulls her car up into the driveway, next to Greg’s car.

“We’re home sweetie.” Barbara had noticed that Lindsey had fallen asleep on the way home.

Lindsey wakes-up and head inside the house towards her bedroom. She puts her saxophone on the floor near her bed and strip out of her marching band uniform. She grabs a clean pair of panties, her night shirt and head into the bathroom and take a bath.

She gets the water just like she likes it and soaks for a while. She was listening to the music Sara and her band made and could tell where it needed improvements. She makes some mental notes to add a different cord or version to the song. By the time it gets to the fifth song, the water was cold.

Lindsey gets out and slip her nightshirt and clean panties on. Instead of heading to her bedroom, she heads into her practice room and hook her laptop up to her sound mixer and replay some of Sara’s band music. She plays the original tune and then make changes to it, so it flows better. She hopes Sara like it.

Once she was done going through all the songs and making some modification to them. She shuts down all her equipment and head to bed. She hopes Sara will like some of the modifications to the songs. It seemed that they were heading in the direction she went with the song.

She covers up a yawn as she crawls into bed. It was two in the morning by she lays down in bed. She grabs her teddy bear and hugs it.

When Lindsey gets up the next day. It was around ten in the morning. She stumbles into the living room and waves to her mother and Greg. She walks over and sits on Barbara’s lap.

Barbara puts her arms around Lindsey and could tell she was still waking up. Her poor baby had a bad habit of staying up late working on music.

“You, know something sweetie, I might have to give you a set bed time when you’re not performing.” Barbara was concerned about Lindsey’s health. She was on a special diet and taking medication for her blood.

“I was working on some music for Sara and her band. I have no idea what they are calling themselves.” Lindsey covers a yawn up.

“Well, I think for now on, if you’re not practicing or performing. Your bed time is going to be ten o’clock, Lindsey.” Barbara was going to make sure gets some sleep.

“Okay, mom. How about on the weekend when I’m not performing?” Lindsey was resting against Barbara’s shoulder.

“Eleven o’clock. Midnight, the latest.” Barbara figures Lindsey could stay up later to work on her music.

“There’s some muffins in the kitchen, that will hold you over till lunch. We’re going out for lunch, Greg’s treat.” Barbara looks over towards Greg.

Greg has been watching Barbara baby Lindsey, which was fine. She just turned thirteen a few weeks ago. The band threw her a nice birthday party.

“Hope you like Chinese food, because that is what were going to be having.” Greg was thinks about taking them to the new place that opened.
So, he could do a review of it.

Lindsey looks over towards Greg “I love Chinese food.”

“Good, because this is a new place and I think you’ll like it.” A smile forms on Greg’s smooth face.

Lindsey gets up and heads towards the kitchen to grab a muffin and a glass of milk. Afterwards she heads back to her bedroom and gets dress to go out with Greg and her mother.

up
174 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I think Barba is right

Samantha Heart's picture

About the bed time. Lindsay does need her sleep that girl has a bad habit of letting time get away from her when she's working on music. She just zones out & nothing else matters when she is in the music zone. On the other hand Lindsay is hellping another band.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Sad, but...

Jamie Lee's picture

The reason for Shirley's abuse is now clear, sad but clear. That her birth parents only thought of themselves and their own pleasure, is sad as is their deaths. At least Shirley is with family who will treat her right and keep her safe.

Those jokes of Shirley's were a bomb, pure corn, funny. That alone shows she's doing better.

Lindsey gets so involved with music that she loses track of time, as anyone does who really enjoys what they're doing. So it's a good idea for Barbara to set bed time for her.

Something which may or may not become a problem, is Greg taking notice of Lindsey being babied. Lindsey still has issues that can affect her, even though she acts as though she's okay. Hopefully if Greg makes his business to try and get Barbara to stop babying Lindsey, he will get her entire story before he acts, or there will be trouble.

Others have feelings too.