Desert Rose Part 5

Printer-friendly version

Forensic Department, Mesquite Police Department:
After leaving the junk yard, Detective Branston heads back to the station. He’s hoping his pal Edward Nut could power the cellphone and tell him what is on it. He arrives at the station and parks his patrol car in his normal spot. He gets out and heads towards Nut’s forensic lab and hopes he can retrieve something form the phone.

When Detective Branston walks into Nut’s lab. He hears him singing off key to Roxanne.
Roxanne, you don't have to put on the red light. Those days are over. You don't have to sell your body to the night, Roxanne.” Nut was singing into a stick in his hand.

Detective Branston just shakes his head as he knocks on the door. He knew people around the police precinct thought Edward was a nutcase, but he was good at what he does.

“Hey Nut, you want to turn the music down?” Detective Branston watches as Nut jumps from being found out.

He nearly jumped out of his skin when he heard Detective Branston’s voice. He puts the stick down he was using as a make belief mic and turn the music down.

“God! You nearly gave me a heart attack.”

“Well, you shouldn’t have your music up so loud. I need a favor from you.” As Detective Branston walks over to him.

“What do you need?” Nut knew Branston always needed a rush job done.

“I need for you to retrieve whatever information is still stored on this cellphone.” Detective Branston lays the bag that had the cellphone in it on the table.

Nut puts a pair of gloves on and takes the cellphone out to examine it. It looked in good condition and he had the plug necessary to charge it back up.

“I’ll see what I can do for you. Everything looks fine, so it shouldn’t be a problem to retrieve what data I can from it.” Nut takes it over to his work bench and plug it into one of the charges he has.

“Thanks.” Detective Branston walks out of Nut’s lab and back to his desk to go over what he has so far.

He needs to find the report the State Police would have filed on the SUV and occupants.

0100hrs. El Do Ray Impound Lot:
Alejandra moves quietly through the junkyard. She managed to sneak out of the room she was kept in and she uses the cover of darkness to move among the junk cars and such. She had managed to get all the parts she needed for her project and the parts she needed for her uncle.
Tonight, he fed her a six-pack of tacos he went and bought for her.

She shared what food he gave her with the others. The other people were paying off the debt they owed to the coyotes to bringing them to America. Basically, they were slave labor for her uncle. He wasn’t required to feed them, but he did. Her on the other hand, he could do whatever he wanted.

She manages to make it to where she had hidden a dune buggy she found among all the wreck vehicles in the yard. She has been working on it since she arrived at the junkyard. Her uncle didn’t know anything about it, because it had been buried under a lot of junk cars. The frame was intact, but it was missing everything else. During the day she would search for the parts she needed in the junkyard and come back out at night and remove them.

It has taken her almost eight months to put it back together properly. During that time, she had to be careful moving around the junkyard at night. Sometimes, she had to wait until her uncle drunk himself into unconsciousness. Other times she had to wait till he fell asleep after having his fun either beating her for something she forgot to do or forcing himself on the other women working at the junkyard.

Her uncle was a sadistic person and enjoyed inflicting pain on her and the others. She had the scars on her body from where he went too far. She checks one last time, as she ducks into the work area where the dune buggy was. It was almost complete. Alejandra grabs the tools she needed to finish bolting down the engine and connecting the fuel lines. She may not have gone to school like most mechanics, but after being forced to remove parts from junk cars and listening and watching the mechanics that worked at the junkyard. She learned how to rebuild the dune buggy. She steps back and couldn’t believe the buggy was finished.

She grabs the gas cans she filled up with gas from the tanks of the cars they got in. She pours the gas into the double fuel cells she found out in the junkyard in an old racing car. Once the tanks are filled up. She grabs the helmet and put it on. It was a little tight on her head, but she didn’t care.

The buggy was ready, and she could finally leave her uncle. She tries the buggy, but it doesn’t want to start right away. She pumps the gas pedal and presses the start button. The engine roars to life as she gives it some gas. She lets it idle as she looks at the gauges.

Alejandra gives it some gas and holds on as it shoots out of the area, she had put it back together. She drives through the junkyard and towards the main gate. She gives the dune buggy a little more gas and crashes through the gate. She reinforced the front of the buggy, so she could ram the gate. She also left bolt cutters for the others to use to escape from her uncle and his men.

She rides out into the night and follows the road. She had no idea where she was going, but she wanted to get as far as she could from her uncle.

up
259 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Now, if only she would have

Aylesea Malcolm's picture

Now, if only she would have bludgeon her uncle first.

bolt cutters

Yeah, like maybe use the bolt cutters on his head

I was thinking lower, but

Aylesea Malcolm's picture

I was thinking lower, but that works too.

I feel for this poor

Samantha Heart's picture

Girl now who will she run into most likely a,friend. .

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Pig needs skinned

Jamie Lee's picture

Alejandra's uncle doesn't seem to get out of the office much, or look closely when he does get out. And if that dune buggy is as loud as they can be, Aljandra's uncle had to have been totally dead to the world not to hear her leave.

Where will she go? Dune buggies often times aren't street legal, and her's isn't even licensed, so she'd have to stay off the streets. Maybe her only friend would happen to be Det. Branston, he did tell her to call him if she needed help.

Oh is her uncle going to be hot under the collar when he finds out his slave labor has flown the coup. To bad they didn't skin that pig before leaving, the price for pig meet might help them get far away.

Others have feelings too.

Flowers do bloom in the desert...

I like this story and I'm glad it continues.

Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors