Curtain Fall Chapter 11

Printer-friendly version

Curtain Fall - Chapter 11

Posted in the Albuquerque Village

To Adrasteia -

I and my friends were spellbound by our first true meeting! Your spirit, beauty and cleverness found us utterly captive to the force of your personality! You have truly won me over, and gained the respect of my companions! Please forgive their earlier rambunctiousness. They were simply feeling over-protective. Perhaps we can meet in a public place to show to all concerned that there are no hard feelings?

From - Yearning for Adrasteia

Jill read the personal and giggled. “Dang Dave! You have a clever way with words!”, she thought. Perhaps she could meet Dave again. The reference to a public place suggested that they wanted the meeting to to be seen. That meant that the public response to Adam’s revelations about the attempted capture must have caused a PR headache. They wanted to relieve the pressure. Meeting her peacefully in public would likely do that.

She’d talk about it with the gang first, however. The plans they’d come up with before worked brilliantly and if they all could plan like then again, then all the better!

Jill touched bases with Maggie and Gary and Carol, of course, at work and collectively they settled on an nice casual bar that had private booths and good food. Carol then called Samantha and invited her as well. That night they all met at the “Marvin’s Garden”. After settling, ordering some drinks, and generally relaxing with each other, Jill finally decided to get things started.

Pulling out the personal and handing it around she started, “Well it looks like the government has decided that I’m not a desperate threat anymore. The uproar surrounding the Journal article, which I understand has gone nationwide, has convinced them that it would be a bad idea pursue me too aggressively. I’m inclined to offer them an olive branch. But I don’t feel I’ve a right to decide this unilaterally. If this is a ruse and they find a way to exploit this to find me, you might come under their scrutiny as well. They might even try using any one of you as a pressure point against me.”

Her work friends looked at each other, weighing the possible threats, while Samantha watched them. Then she took a deep breath and declared, “DAMN WOMAN!”, she lowered her voice quickly at the frantically worried looks she received and continued in a fierce whisper, “You’re a hero! Act like one! You can’t run and hide. We all know your life might be dangerous. It is possible that we might come into danger as well. Hell, Lois Lane found herself in more trouble that you can shake a stick at! Don’t let us hold you back from doing what’s right. Hell, I’ll hit you with a frying pan if I even think you’d hide to protect me!”

The gang all laughed and Gary, chimed in as well, “Samantha is blunt,”

“Read obnoxious!”, piped up Carol to more laughter.

Reigning in his chuckling Gary continued, “but she is right. Making peace if possible with the ‘Suits’ is the smart and needed move. And if we can do it in a way to earn more positive PR, then all the better!”

Jill looked around at her friends, “Is that how you all feel?” From each, she felt unfailing loyalty and support. Eyes glistening she turned to Sam, “Thank you Sam, for you are just about the most fearless woman I’ve ever known! I just hope I’m worthy of all your support!” She was almost overwhelmed by the tidal wave of affection and she turned it right around and offered her own love and admiration to each and every one. There were surprised gasps from Maggie and Gary, but it was clear that they all felt what she gave them.

“Now. How do we do this?”, she asked with a tremulous smile.

——————————————

“Well,” David remarked ironically to the Colonel standing next to him as he looked around, “we did tell her we wanted a more public meeting...”

Feber and Colonel Thompson, the officer tasked with meeting Lady Adrasteia sat in the box seat section with a visual path clear down to the field of the stadium presently holding the Albuquerque Isotopes Baseball Club AAA team game waiting for the 7’th inning stretch. The stadium was filled to more than capacity once it had been discovered that Lady Adrasteia would make an appearance sometime that evening after the sixth inning. Folks were beside themselves in anticipation. The Colonel winced in reply but said nothing.

Not only was every seat filled, but there were camera teams from all the local unaffiliated TV stations and several from national systems like CBS, ABC, NBC, CNN, and Fox. There were also a significant contingent of city police on hand for crowd control.

David started chuckling and Colonel Thompson looked at him. “What are you chuckling in your beard about? If there is a need to put her down, we’re going to have a hard time of it. We can’t guarantee that a drone strike would be precise enough!”

“That is exactly why I am laughing! In every encounter I’ve had with her she’s done everything in her ability to avoid fighting. The first time she wasn’t even there; she just watched our bad faith. Then she found a way to get to me while I was completely alone with no one around to fight. I was in a bathrobe for god’s sake. Now this. If we decide to act in a hostile way, it will known across the planet it seconds. I have to admire how she thinks!”

Thompson snorted but then stiffened as a soldier ran up to him and whispered excitedly in his ear. “Aw shit!”, he exclaimed with feeling.

“Let me guess, the SecDef ordered a little insurance, just in case, and something has gone wrong?”, David asked unhappily. “What was it?”

“Rocket equipped drone. It’s just gone off-line...”, admitted Thompson.

“Well I guess that means we’re about ready for showtime th-“, David started to reply but was cut off when the stadium speakers began playing unexpected music.

Recognizing what was playing caused David to break out in outright laughter. “Really?!?!? The Theme to the movie Wonder Woman?!?”

The crowd in the stadium began roaring with excitement as they looked about feverishly. Shortly fresh shrieks were heard and people began pointing to something in the air.

Looking up, highlighted by a spotlight on the Goodyear blimp “They have spotlights?!?”, David marveled, as a figure floated sedately down from the blimp and into the stadium lighting. She looked almost mythical as she drifted down. Fully outfitted in the crimson gown he’d seen once before and armored in her cuirass, bracers, buckler and a new small collection of 2 ft. long diamond shaped plates, that floated around her she almost looked like Athena, stepping down from Olympus.

Lady Adraseia measured the rate of descent so that just as the song playing finished, her feet lit on the pitcher’s mound; and the crowd who had grown quieter as they watched her float down went absolutely mad!

David and the Colonel, who’d begun rushing from the box shortly after the music started had time to get to the field before it stopped and proceeded to march quickly out to the mound. They came to a stop before her and stood looking at her. The crowd hushed expectantly...

Jill for her part felt like she’d been plugged into a high tension wire from all the emotions she felt from all around and found it very difficult to maintain the regal aloof visage she tried to present.

David, for his part could see her eyes squinting with laugh lines and the grin she fought to keep from her face. He broke his formal posture and lean forward on one foot, “ I have to admit you can make an entrance! But the theme from Wonder Woman? Really!?!?!?”

Jill couldn’t hold it any longer and broke down giggling on National television and she stepped forward to grab David in a big hug! Laughing she responded, “I thought it was cool!”, as she and David floated up several feet in the air so as to give everyone, Media included, the best view possible. Then before he could respond she pulled away enough to plant a big kiss on his cheek.

“Now don’t panic now, you’re safe, but look and wave at the crowd!”, Lady Adrasteia said with mischief in her voice.

Of course, the first thing one does when told not to panic is to tense up and when he realized he wasn’t on the ground any longer he became white as a sheet, but he gave a feeble wave to the crowd who’d gone absolutely insane! Jill, of course felt the panic starting to rise and she placed her arm around his waist and lowered them both to the ground again in front of Thompson who, even having seen her do something similar in the Acme videos, watched open mouthed.

Jill looked at him and quickly glanced to David. With laughter in her voice she asked, “Oh dear, did I break him?”

Hearing this caused Thompson to jerk a bit and collecting himself, rose to attention and saluted her. “Colonel Gregory Thompson mam! A pleasure to meet you!” He barked nervously she until moved and swept him into her arms as well. He then relaxed as he could almost feel her glee at harmlessly tweaking him and he reached forward and embraced her back. “Wow! Your, ur, not going to float me are you?”

Jill broke out laughing again and with an earnest smile, assured he was safe.

Once she released him she offered her arm to David and nodded to the cluster of vidcams and representatives of the Media affiliates. David Feber, now recovered from his short flight took her arm, with Thompson on her other side and all three calmly walked to the local and national reporters with the diamonds silently floating around the three.

The stadium had quieted a bit but was still thunderous until Adrasteia turned to look up at the crowd and mimed lowering and then placed her finger to her lips. All saw this as it was plastered on one of the giant displays in the stadium. Captivated the audience quieted; and she turned back to the reporters.

“Now, perhaps we can hear you gentlemen!” Can they?”, she asked as she gestured at those in the seats. Seeing confusion in the reporters’ eyes she turned to the local dugout and yelling, requested a mike linked to the speaker system. Within 2 minutes a batboy ran a hand mike out. She smiled, and thanked the young man and then turned first to Dave and then to the reporters. Nodding, she invited them to ask a few questions. She pointed to the first.

“Mark Anderson of CNN mam,” he began, “you are standing next to several members of a government that has on at least one occasion attempted for forcibly take you prisoner without evidence of wrong doing. Can we ask why?”

Jill chuckled a bit, “No Hello? No what’s your favorite ice cream? Right into pregnant phrasing. Well, let me respond to your question and implied criticisms then: I choose to stand here because I did nothing wrong. There are forces in our government whose sole purpose is protect all of us. Can you honestly say that seeing me appear on the scene suddenly as I did, and considering what has happened already elsewhere in the world would I not raise potential concerns? Those elements may have exceeded their authority and gone beyond their orders, but they were still motivated by a desire to protect you all.

No one was ever injured in these excesses. Since the error has been made known to me through officials like deputy director Faber here, should it continue to tarnish my view of the rest?” She gave him a forceful look and continued, “I’m not a Hatfield and the men and women David represents are not the McCoys! We can hopefully do better.”

She pointed to the next. “Fred Shelby of ABC. Have those guilty of acting beyond their orders been removed?”

Jill looked at David and he took the microphone, “Those responsible are facing appropriate disciplinary actions.” Seeing he wasn’t getting more he tried to speak again but Jill pointed to another individual.

“Bob Stanton of Channel 8 News, mam; why did you make yourself known here?”

Jill smiled warmly at the man, “Well Bob, I’m a native of the environs. I’ve been here most of my life, I love this city; where else would I appear?”

The questions went on for a few more minutes until Jill stopped the questions, with the assertion that she’d interrupted the game long enough an she wanted to catch the last few innings to the laughter and cheers of those in the seats. She excused herself and allowed herself to be led up to the box seat suite suite by David and Greg. To the amazement and nervous discomfort of the police and David’s entourage the diamond shaped plates positioned themselves around the three and between any visibly armed follower. Finally they achieved the privacy of the suite.

“Once again madam, you impressed me with your entrance!”, David remarked once the door closed.

Jill giggled, “It was a bit over the top, but you asked for this to show I’d reconciled with the government. I think with the hugs and kisses I brought that point across. As for the music”, she giggled again and responded with a look of mischief, “I thought that was just fun!”

Smiling, David preferred, “It didn’t do any harm to your mystique either did it?” After she nodded he asked, “How did you manage that anyway?”

She waved airily and responded, “Oh, it quite amazing what one can ask for and get away with when a ‘superhero’ asks the manager of the stadium; and when she calls from the blimp overhead.” She then turned a gimlet eye towards Thompson, who until this point had been watching with almost awe the easy camaraderie between the deputy director and Lady Adrasteia, and added pointedly, “By the way, there’s a ball of U.S. Army debris in the cabin space of the blimp’s gondola. I think it’s harmless now, but you might want to offload it carefully when the blimp lands. It looked like it at one time had something like Hellfire missiles.”

Thompson paled.

Jill clapped her hands one with authority and then turned back to David, “Now that I’m here officially, I’d assume there are a few who wish to speak with me?” She felt a little surprise at her ready acceptance from David, but he nodded.

“Yes, yes there are.” He reached and touched the surface of a tablet and the tell-tale chiming of a Skype call rang out. As it rang, Jill approached the table with the tablet and positioned herself between the men. Shortly the connection screen was replaced by a room with an even dozen men of power, chief amongst them the Vice President.

Jill recognized from the news the VP and several others and was quite taken aback. Off-balance, she turned to David and whispered Sotto voce and with a somewhat strangled voice, “Vice President Summers!?!?!?” Having visibly paled, she spoke up in a slightly quavering tone, “Good evening Mr. Vice President!”

VP Summers chuckled inwardly a bit in surprise at the discomfiture displayed by Lady Adrasteia and returned the greeting. He then introduced a large portion of the White House cabinet while the Fallen heroine looked on a bit dazedly.

“I’d like to offer my thanks for your willingness to forgive our extreme precautions. Until very recently we feared and believed you to be a representative of the unknown nation in the Amazon.”, Summers nodded towards Feber. Deputy Director Feber was dispatched to your location for that very reason. He, and by extension we now understand that you are not.”

Jill, with effort (and soaking in the alert but calm attitude of David and Joshua) calmed herself and replied, “I’ve seen the photos of them. I can easily understand why you’d think I’m one of them. I might even credit the possibility that much of my body might be related to them.” She saw eyes widening at the admission, and felt surprised wariness from Thompson.

“I can only assure you that my mind and heart originates from right here in New Mexico. The only idea I have is that my mind and spirit were thrust into my new body and replaced the original owner.”

The Vice President digested this and cautiously suggested, “Would you be willing to aid us in learning more about your body? So that we might potentially better understand the nature of the Brazilian nation?”

Jill, chuckled darkly at that. “Do you honestly expect me to have enough trust in your honor to allow me to be examined by you? Your request for this meeting suggests you are attempting to smooth things and make peace, yet not even an hour ago I was forced to disable and render harmless an armed drone that would have been in a position to attack me and potentially cause tremendous collateral damage and death!” With thunder in her eyes she continued, “At every turn I have attempted to ensure my safety and that of others through peaceful means. I can not say the same for your administration!”

Feber and Thompson alike stepped back and almost quailed for it appeared as if the room had come alive dangerous electricity; as if she were shedding anger and the potential for violence like a banked fire from within her that she’d loosened control of.

Jill felt waves of fear coming from David and even terror from Thompson and she with effort brought her emotions back under control. “No, Mr. Summers. You ask to much of me. Take solace that I am offering an olive branch. Do not threaten me or mine again or we may find out just what the limit of my power is. To your regret.”

With that she mentally reached out to the tablet and with barely a thought crushed it to a large marble of metal and fragmented glass.

As David and Joshua stared at what had been a tablet in horrified amazement, Lady Adrasteia turned to David and said, “David, I know you were unaware of the drone and the continuing aggressiveness of elements within the government. As a result I will continue to be open to efforts, by you alone, to reach me.”

Her eyes softened and the fire of her anger faded. “Please don’t disappoint me!” She looked as if she would say more when a shocked expression came across her face. “If you will excuse me!” And with that the doors of the suite wrenched open and she left quickly.

The men outside the door had just enough time to watch Lady Adrasteia step into the open air and leap into the night, but not before hearing her curse, “Oh my god! When it rains it pours!”

—————————————

Carol and the gang were in a restaurant known as the “Sumo Sushi” watching, like everyone else, the live broadcast of the events at the stadium when the night was filled with the sound of sirens. Police cars started coming from almost every direction to stop near The Wells Fargo bank across the square. They quickly began forming a perimeter around the building and area.

Samantha looked out the window of the restaurant, “Hey guys! It looks like someone set off major alarms at the bank over there! The cops look really freaked!” This of course cause a good percentage of the people in the restaurant to rush to the window to see.

The restaurant audience watched a number of the newer “combat” vehicles recently acquired by the city arrive and 2 squads of SWAT were seen dashing out with armed with AR-15s.

“Guys... I’ve got a bad feeling here...”, Carol said starting to back up, “Everyone! Back away from the window!” This wasn’t anything like a standard response to a robbery. The fact that the bank had been closed for hours only reinforced her concerns. The only time she’d heard of this level of response was when a powered Fallen was involved.

The door of the bank opened and a handful of men carrying great sacks of something stepped out and froze upon seeing the array of police. They crouched and coming up from behind were two figures. The first was one of the first criminal Fallen, the Ripper. His muscle bound physique was unmistakable. The second was a relatively new Fallen villain who’d made his appearance for the first time 4 and a half months after the Curtain Fall, and was known by the papers as the Torch. Where Ripper was known for general invulnerability, the Torch was identified as a powerful pyrokinetic. Rather like main the character in the book Firestarter, he could project areas of intense heat causing things to seemingly spontaneously burst into flame. Torch wasted no time and focused on one of the nearest police cars, causing it to quickly explode as the gas tank superheated. Men nearby were thrown several feet with hair and clothes also blazing.

The restaurant crowd responded with panic, turning and rushing away from the rattled restaurant front. In their panic several were pushed down by those rushing over and past...

Jill had felt the serious unease that Carol was feeling. This was why she’d fled David. Upon leaping into the air she saw an explosion in the distance and then a surge of terror and panic from the whole gang. Clearly they were in danger! Damning all that was holy for not being more like Superman and being ‘faster than a speeding bullet’ she moved in the direction of the panic.

Thankfully the source of the danger was no more than 20 blocks away and since she could move as the crow flies and not have to navigate streets she arrived at the scene barely 10 minutes later. By that time, however several more vehicles had exploded and Ripper was tossing several more. The police were obviously outmatched and she could see at least a dozen casualties cast about. If this wasn’t stopped soon, dozens more would be injured or die! Jill’s one comfort was that all her people out of sight. She could feel them. They were frightened but perceived themselves to be safe. She’d be able to act without distraction. But how to stop them?

From what she’d read, Ripper was immensely strong and bulletproof. Torch might not be but she had no desire to be a charcoal briquette! She knew she could use enough force she could easily stop Torch. Braining him with a brick might be enough but someone whose skin is almost impossible to pierce? She probably could do that but that much power getting through might easily kill him. And while Ripper had injured quite a few he hadn’t killed anyone. She wasn’t sure she could kill someone in cold blood. How to stop them without killing?

Floating above them a memory of a news broadcast talking about subduing through the “Carotid choke hold” surfaced. Placing moderate pressure on the sides of the neck could cut off blood flow the the brain and render the perp unconscious in seconds. That’s it! The final question was sneak attack or give them a chance to surrender? She’d never done this before and she knew that the carotid choke was considered a potentially lethal use of force so in order to avoid accidentally killing them she needed to offer them the choice.

With the decision made she began lowering to the ground and yelling at the top of her lungs with as much force and determination she could muster, “ENOUGH!!! Stop this NOW!!!”

Astonishingly, all combatants actually stopped to stare at the goddess that floated into view. Amazed that her yell had actually worked, she focused on the two Fallen. “You two! You have hurt or killed people here. NO MORE! Surrender or I will stop you!”

The two stared at her for a few seconds; then Ripper started to laugh, “What are you going to do honey? I’ll admit you are a pretty distracting piece of tail, but you can’t hurt me. While I can hurt you! With that he picked up a small car in both hands and after spinning like an Olympic Hammer Toss athlete threw it at her.

To his amazement, Lady Adrasteia raised a hand and the car stopped in mid-air. Angered that he was too arrogant and stupid to listen to reason, she glanced at him in fury and did what she’d seen in the news broadcast. She focused and pressed firmly to each side of his neck. The musculature provided more resistance that she’d expected, likely due to his unnatural strength, but she focused and pressed. Ripper startled from his initial shock and feeling something began to reach up towards his neck.

A puzzled look blossomed on his face and he took a step forward and then seemed to stumble and become confused. After a few seconds, he simply collapsed.

Watching Ripper felled by a glance Torch panicked and decided to burn the goddess floating before him but as he readied his column of heat a number of plates flashed in front of her, forming a barrier. He could see a number of the plates start to glow but before they could get more than a dull orange she drifted to the side so he could see her fury and suddenly he couldn’t concentrate. The his vision blurred and then he too collapsed bonelessly.

Just as at the event at the Acme, the area was silent save for the cars burning. Jill looked over to the henchmen who’d been carrying the sacks and tilted her head expectantly. To a man they dropped the sacks, any weapons they might have and stood raising their hands in surrender. She then looked to one of the older officers. One who looked like an authority figure. She caught his eyes and nodded her head at the surrendering men. Clearly frightened by the floating figure but able to find some distraction in doing his duty he began directing officers to take the surrendering men into custody.

While the officers where moving Jill reached over and uprooted a lamppost and lifting the unconscious body of the Ripper crushed into two balls: One around Ripper’s hands that had bee placed behind him and one around his feet and legs so that he was effectively hog-tied. As for the Torch, she had no easy fix but suggested handcuffs and a hood on the assumption he had to see what he wanted to burn.

After several minutes civilians began to step out of surrounding buildings and Jill saw the Gang step out of the restaurant and he felt their relief that the danger was past. She was beginning to feel the effects of adrenaline crashing she stepped forward and into the air to get out of site before she lost it. Once over the restaurant she dropped into the alley behind (where she and the gang had originally planned on meeting after the stadium) and slid to the ground; breaking for a few moments from nerves. As she crouched shivering she felt Carol sneak through the restaurant and kneeling gently scoop her up. They stayed there until Jill mastered herself and then assuring herself that no one was observing quickly swapped into her civilian clothes that Carol had stored in a duffel bag she’d brought. Together they rejoined the Gang. Once re-united, the group of friends went to their cars and adjourned to a bar removed from all the excitement...

—————————————

High-mother, Kadrapra, examined the device before her. It was secured after her new pet, Octavia, had explained to her its existence. An amazing mechanism that collects voices and sounds from great distances! What was the foreign word? Ah yes; a radio! Through it she could hear all manner of things from outside the people. Music and word of happenings elsewhere. It was marvelous! From it, she’d already learned that many different languages were spoken. These languages were the most certain indication that this world was vastly larger than what she’d been exposed to before the sky-ripping. And it was populated entirely by other than the people. Strange stunted beings who were inherently limited but had learned to compensate through cleverness with tools. This tool building made them potentially very dangerous if not approached and managed carefully.

By now, she’d arranged the harvesting of a small number of these creatures so that she might learn more about them. With pleasure, she’d discovered that her newest pet, Octavia, was a learned one whose spheres of knowledge included languages. She’d begun to have the pet teach her a bit about the dominant languages and cultures of these creatures. Through Octavia, she’d already learned that these creatures possessed an unnatural societal structure where males were considered dominant. This disturbing information was coupled with the revelation that many of these “nations” were quite warlike. As a result they excelled in building tools of violence and even wielded weapons that could bring the fire of the sun to a battlefield! This meant that honorable combat might not be used. She and her people would need to be very careful!

Kadrapra had also directed more direct investigations into these beings. They’d discovered that there were enough physical differences that taking ownership of them was much more difficult. The bond created was stunted and not nourishing. Control could be achieved, but it was a constant slow drain on her vitality. There was definitely a limit on the number of pets that could be harvested from these beings. This would certainly affect how she would have to handle these lesser creatures once her conflict within the remaining three cities was finished.

The High-mother looked down at Octavia, who was kneeling submissively at her feet and instructed her to, when not teaching the rudiments of the language of her home nation, the “States”, to review these “radio” broadcasts and assemble information that she thought Kadraprabah might find useful. Beaming, Octavia leaned a brushed her cheek against the cloth of Kadrapra‘s dress and throatily responded in the proper language, “Uma amin aute!”

up
176 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Uh oh...

Yikes the aliens are learning fast. That's not good! Also what in the world did they do to that poor girl that's like a zombie slave YIKES! And wow Jill, I love that it was the Wonder woman theme, I giggled when I read that xD She really knows how to make the suits uncomfortable and I LOVE that xD

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Zombie Slave?

northmiester's picture

It happened at the end of Chapter 10, After an American advisory team was captured...

odd race

not know radio? hmm ... interesting ...

DogSig.png

Don't get cocky

Jamie Lee's picture

While protecting the Nation does need to happen, might speech be a better communicator than an armed drone? Or the other things that have been tried.

Respect, and honor, are part of important aspect Lady Adrasteia takes very seriously. And the US Government has proven it has neither one. Shoot first then take names has ired Adtasteia to no end, so the laptop ending up as scrap isn't hard to understand--more so because of what they asked. None of them would welcome another being examing them as they planned to examine her, which made it rather stupid to even ask the question.

Torch and Ripper goofed like every arrogant person who suddenly has powers, they knew nothing of Lady Adrasteia's powers. They also got lucky in that she only put them to sleep and not squish their brains.

The Aliens should be very careful trying to work their magic on the human population. Like putting a stick in the opening of an ant hill, which gets the ants very excited, stir up the humans and the result may be the downfall of said aliens.

Others have feelings too.