Summer with Em - Part 10

Printer-friendly version

1842239-health-club-girl-in-a-gym-doing-weight-lifting.jpg

Summer With Em - Chapter 10

By Julie D Cole

I managed to smile through the blushes. ‘Hi Bec’s thank you.’

She took he seat next to Em and they kissed but on the lips this time.

‘Missed you Em.’

‘Missed you too gorgeous.’

I had understood that they were close friends for a long time but this time the body language between them was much more affectionate. They were clearly holding hands under the table and for a few minutes Amy, George and I might as well have not been there.

‘So girls a great choice of venue. I’m starving since I’ve had nothing to eat today. He shot off to a competition at the crack of dawn.’

We all smiled and agreed to start eating. I seemed to have been included twice now in the reference ‘girls’. I expected that she might have had a chat with Em about me because she wasn’t treating me as the guy who she’d interviewed.

‘So Kim what have you been up to today. Taking advantage of a weekend off shopping with Em?’

Em responded on my behalf. ‘Yes of course we have and we did OK see the bags.’

‘Nice. Anything for you sweetie?’
‘No today Kim needed to be priority since she was sort of undies. Next stop is something nice for later. Are we all still on for tonight? Dinner then Canal Street?’

All three nodded and it was clear they approved from the broad smiles on their faces. It seemed like Saturdays were fun days and I was getting the opportunity to join in. The food we were having would have been treat enough for me in one day and Em made it clear that she would cover my part of the bills.

As we worked our way through three delicious sharing plates and a dish of noodles the chatter seemed endless. This was a new experience for me and even though I was a few years younger and not familiar with the surroundings I was enjoying the social interchange and being treated as one of the girls rather than as a boy was adding to the excitement. I was happy to see the friendship between the two pairs of friends and already I was falling in love with Manchester. It already seemed to be more friendly than London with a lot going for it.

As soon as the dishes were cleared Bec’s excused herself to go back to work and three of us left her and Em sorting the bill out and looked in the window of the store opposite Wagamama’s. It gave Em and Bec’s to chat in privacy and they hugged before Bec’s kissed Em and then waved. I wasn’t sure what Bec’s weightlifting husband might have thought if he saw them together. It wasn’t my business but I didn’t want Em to get mixed up in anything and get hurt.

When Em came over to us we split up again and Amy and George went in the opposite direction to us. I whispered to Em that I needed to visit the bathrooms and I could see that they were not far away. I felt I’d have to take care and hope that I could sneak into either the disabled toilet or even the Mother and baby room but when we arrived they were occupied and so Em told me to be brave and she’d come with me to the ladies bathroom. We had to join a small queue that was quite embarrassing for me. I’d only ever had to queue at concerts or theatres at the intermissions. Still at least the cubicles were private and nobody glanced over neighbors shoulders.

‘There not so bad was it? You are doing well. No need to be scared. You blend in perfectly as I expected. By the way how is the new bra. Comfortable?’

‘Oh yes I’d forgotten I had it on.’

She had obviously been looking at my image in the mirror as we washed our hands and she had applied new lipstick after being kissed several times. Mine was OK.’

‘Right let’s do some more shopping. Are you OK with the bag. Free advertising as we walk around for Carolines shop.’

‘What are we buying and what is the plan for this evening?’

‘I think something nice for a dinner at a nice Italian restaurant full of charming waiters and then for a trip to a couple of bars and a club in Canal Street.’

‘But Em isn’t it dangerous for me to push it like this and won’t it be dangerous in an area down by a canal?.’

Em laughed. ‘No it’s not some sinister part of Manchester down by a canal where we could get mugged or sexually attacked. It’s a popular area full of nightlife and happy people who know how to enjoy themselves. Just stick together and I promise you’ll be wanting to go there as often as possible. It’s made for people like us.’

I went quiet since I’d know idea what she was talking about and I’d never heard of it. ‘Manchester has great nightlife and sometimes we even visit Chinatown later if we haven’t eaten earlier since food is even available at 4am in the morning. Manchester never sleeps for young people like us.’

It seemed like I was already accepted and being encouraged to show my feminine side but I don’t know what mum would make of it or for the apparent relationship between Em and Bec’s. She is pretty tolerant but Bec’s is married. Perhaps that explained why Em had never married or was it that she just enjoyed the single life?

‘Come on Kim let’s go look at somewhere that is trendy for girls of our age. That was the third time I’d been referred to as a girl in the last 2 hours. It wasn’t offending me but I wasn’t sure if things were moving along a bit too fast for comfort. Now the Manager of the Leisure Centre where I was working saw me as a girl and I wasn’t sure what that would mean come Monday morning. Had somebody flicked a switch whilst I wasn’t looking?

‘Where are we going?’

‘Somewhere where we can find you a couple of outfits that you can take home and then decide which to wear later.’

‘But I can’t afford that yet until I get some funds built up from working.’

‘Come on I’ll bankroll you for a while. I want you to express yourself more and show the world what I see. You are beautiful just like your mum.’

‘But I’m not a girl.’

‘You don’t have to be a boy or a girl in Manchester. You can just be Kim. You didn’t see any prejudice today did you or at work. Bec’s accepts you as whoever you want to be like I do. I just feel you should be confident and I’ll help you. Amy and George like you.’

‘OK I suppose I have to trust your judgement. You are older and wiser.’

‘Please wiser is enough.’

We headed for Topshop since Em said we didn’t need to go mad with designer label shops and they had what she had in mind for me to wear for first time out with the girls that needed to be sensible. She was really saying dress their age not mine.

We tried a variety of options before Em gave the thumbs up to two outfits that she said best suited me. The sales assistant was patient moving rejected outfits to the transit racks to go back on display for other punters.

After an hour we had a decision and paid at the desk before heading to the shoe section to start all over again. Not exactly a 5 minute job with Em in charge. Apparently I should not select the first pair I’d seen no matter if I liked them so I just asked why on=line shopping was taking over and why Amazon were doing so well.

‘ Look shopping will never die. It’s all about the experience.’

We had time for another visit to Starbucks where we met Amy and George again. They were more heavily laden than us this time and couldn’t wait to show us their purchases. They would be wearing them for our night out before passing them to charity. Once worn and seen that was it as far as they were concerned.

‘One last call Kim before we go home to change.’

Em had booked appointments at a hair salon for wash and blow. It was amazing how time passed in each venue. We needed more hours in a day.

At least that detour saved time back at Ems apartment. After removing our make up we decided on hand showers to avoid wetting our hair.

We relaxed a while in front of tv and laid out the items we’d purchased that needed pressing. That was my job whilst Em supervised from the couch. It gave us chance to chat and so I decided on a friendly question first enquiring about our destination, Canal Street. She asked If I’d heard of Manchester GayPride that took place each August but in truth I had never heard of it. Em showed me the last event on her i-pad and I was staggered at the number of people who attended and especially for the parade.

‘Is everybody gay who visits Canal Street.’

‘Not at all. It’s just a venue and it’s where people can enjoy themselves and spend money.’

‘Aunt Em, are you and Bec’s in a relationship?’

‘We are friends.’

‘But she is married and yet you both seem attracted to each other.’

‘We are.’

‘Doesn’t he object?’

‘Why should he? It’s not like she’s having sex with another man. In fact she hardly has sex with him because he uses all his energy building his muscles.’

‘So he accepts you then?’

‘Nothing to accept we are friends.’

‘So he is not afraid that you are lovers?’

‘We sleep together if she stays over here when he is away. Bec’s needs me.’

‘Will she be staying tonight? Am I in the way?’

‘ Yes and No. Come on let’s choose which outfit is best for tonight. ’

up
244 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you ,Julie,

A continuation of your lovely story and much appreciated ,don't you dare stop now or your Aunt Alison will come out of retirement :)

OMG The Aunt Allison?

Where did she go since I've been trying to tempt her? She always encouraged us.

Jules

Thank you ,Julie,

Still in the same e-mail address and will be 86 next week (a geriatric delinquent trans girl ) :) Andrea has my address as does Shiraz
and Joanne ,would love to hear from you . xxxx

I am running out...

Mantori's picture

... of ways to say just how much I like your writing.

"Life in general is a fuck up,
but it is the rare moments of beauty and peace
in between the chaos,
That makes it worth living."
- Tertia Hill

Flattery

Will get you everywhere. I will keep trying to improve my reputation on this site. I don't post stories anywhere else.

Jules

Hidden gem

Podracer's picture

So happy that you continued this story Julie, or I might never have enjoyed reading it.

"Reach for the sun."

Thanks

I'm glad you are enjoying the story that is really appreciated. I needed to pick the story back up and finish it but I've found it's still early summer and it looks like a few more chapters yet.

Jules

Boys

Will will get to see her attitude toward boys when they hit the clubs.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Dense or living in a bubble?

Jamie Lee's picture

The way Em has had Kim dress, they could walk into any store selling women's clothing and no one would bat an eye with what they purchased. Except Kim.

The way Kim reacted to the greeting Em gave Bec, and they parting, makes one wonder where Kim has been living for 19 years. It's as though he's been living in a bubble his entire life, or his mind is on another level that he just appears dense at times.

Kim can't be so naive to not have heard of gay and lesbians, or have seen couples back home or around the college he attends. And yet, that's how it appears by the way he reacts to Em and Bec. And now he knows Bec will be spending the night with Em, how will he handle that during the night?

Em is not telling Kim everything about the club she's taking Kim to with the other ladies. Em has approved outfits which look good on Kim and make Kim hot looking. Kim already looks very good, and when he wears one of the outfits, when they enter that club, Kim will be hit on by other ladies, or guys, who want to dance or more. And Em will tell Kim to go with the flow, it's just a bit of fun. But for who?

Others have feelings too.