CMC 09: Best Performer Competition

Printer-friendly version
kids-group-trans.gif
Cindy at Music Camp

By Teek
© 2019

Chapter 09
Best Performer Competition

Summary: The Best Performer Competition is started. Ariel is not happy that Cindy is on the list, but when she finds out the connection between Frank and Cindy, safety is threatened. Ariel is out for blood.

********** CAUTION: No actual physical assault, but Ariel tries. Cindy is bullied and threatened in this chapter.**********

The next morning at breakfast, Mr. Elks announced the Best Performer Competition sign up would be open until after lunch. Knowing that only twenty-five percent of the campers will put their names in, Cindy was surprised that everyone at the table was going to sign up. Most of the kids had been in it before. Cindy and Samantha got the details from the table members. First, and most importantly, anyone was able to sign up. After putting your name in for consideration, each specialist music teacher would recommend three kids from the list. Every kid recommended, would be in the competition. The judges would be Mr. Elks, a conductor from the local symphony orchestra, a Rock’n Roll professional, and a music talent scout. On Thursday and Friday, they go around listening to all the kids in the competition, giving each one points in different musical categories. The five kids with the highest number of points are asked to perform their favorite song for the judges Friday evening. The winner gets a big trophy at the end of the concert on Saturday.

Last year, Jessica, George, Marcus, and another kid at the table were in the top five. Jessica was the winner. Marcus and George had won in other years. Marcus had upped his game this year and figured he could win again this year. That was at least, until he heard Samantha and Cindy playing. Now he wasn’t sure if he could win or not. The other teenagers at the table that had not heard the two of them play yet were surprised by Marcus’ admission. They had heard of Mr. Elks comments about Cindy, and had listened when people at the table had listed Samantha as also someone who could be in the top three. To hear Marcus say that however, really made them look at the two little kids they were protecting in a new light.

The day’s schedule for Cindy and Samantha was the same as the day before. For Jessica however, there was a big change. She now had a thirty-minute solo lesson added to her day in conducting. Mr. Elks set it up for her, knowing one class last year probably did not prepare Jessica for conducting in front of a big audience. Back then, she wanted to play, not conduct. He also knew her orchestra was full of strong willed prodigies in music. Mr. Elks wanted her to be fully prepared for the job in front of her. So, after her 30 minute piano lesson with Mrs. Greenburge, she went off to a conductor lesson with Mrs. Star.

Walking out of her lesson with Mrs. Star, Jessica ran into one of Ariel’s friends.

“So twirp,” the teenager started in on Jessica. “The only way you could win this year was to get Ariel thrown out of the Best Performer Competition. Nasty trick, sending around a rumor that a Little was the best performer at camp. If that lie hadn’t been spread all over camp, Ariel would have been in the competition and won. Imagine a little baby like Cindy winning. Impossible. Diaper wearing babies can’t win anything but baby beauty contests.”

“Really,” Jessica said with a smile on her face. “Have you heard her play yet? She is way better than you, Ariel, or me. I agree with you though, the reason Ariel has never won the Best Performer Competition must be because she is a diaper wearing baby.”

With that, Jessica turned and walked away. Leaving behind her, a confused and angry teenager.

At lunch, Jessica told the table about her encounter with Ariel’s friend. Everyone except the teacher was laughing at Jessica’s response. After the meal, the teacher went up and relayed to Mr. Elks what they had heard.

At about 2:30, Mr. Elks walked into the little orchestra’s practice session.

“Mr. Elks,” Jessica said. “We weren’t expecting you.”

“It’s okay Jessica, I am not hear to judge your composition. I wanted to talk to the group of you.”

“Oh,” Marcus said.

“Marcus and George, I am pleased with how you and the other teenagers at your table have provided companions for Samantha and Cindy throughout the day. I know this can be difficult at times, but it is very nice of you to do it. I am however, worried about something I heard today from two different staff members.”

The group looked at each other before looking back at Mr. Elks.

“Jessica, you had a run in today with one of Ariel’s friends?”

“Yes sir,” Jessica acknowledged.

“Who was it?”

“Lucy sir. She didn’t threaten me sir. She just falsely accused me of spreading a rumor about Cindy being the best performer at camp.”

“That was relayed to me,” Mr. Elks responded. “I want you all, and I mean all of you, to be careful though. Mrs. Star overheard the interaction and if you had threatened Lucy, I would have to kick you out of camp just as fast as I would kick Lucy out for threatening you. Oh, and that baby comment is teasing and harassment. I know Lucy said it first, but don’t do it back. Remember, teasing and harassing others can also get you kicked out.”

Again, all the kids looked at each other before looking back at Mr. Elks.

“Ariel may be scared enough to stay away from all of you, but I don’t think her friends are. At dinner the Best Performer Competition list will be posted. All five of you are on the list. I expected this, but I don’t think Ariel and her friends will have. Jessica, George, and Marcus, you have won before, so they will expect you to be on the list. Samantha is the youngest kid we have had on the list since Marcus got on the list his first year here. Since Cindy is never seen without her dolly, they probably think she is even younger. Ariel and her friends are not going to be happy to see two kids so young on the list, especially Cindy.”

Jessica, George, and Marcus all nodded their heads at that.

“Any Littles on the list always catch campers’ attention. This year, there are three. Cindy, Samantha, and a nine year old named Elvis.”

The group laughed.

“Laugh all you want,” Mr. Elks responded. “But he is a good guitar player. Yes, I know, but to add to the similarities of his name sake, he also sings pretty good too.”

“I have heard the kid play,” Marcus added. “He is good, but he won’t end up in the top ten this year. Maybe in years to come, but not yet. Do we need to set up the Protection Squad to watch this little kid too?”

“If possible, sure. If not, let me know. Also let me know any places you are having trouble providing coverage. I will arrange for some staff to fill in where needed. Now, I need everyone to not talk about who is on the list until it is posted after dinner. If you need to tell your table mates at dinner about Elvis being on the list, that is okay, but if you can do it without telling them, even better.”

“We won’t tell anyone Mr. Elks,” Marcus responded, while looking around at the others nodding in agreement.

“Jessica, are you feeling safe,” Mr. Elks asked. “I know you have dealt with Ariel for years, but you have never had to deal with any grief from her friends individually.”

“Don’t worry Mr. Elks. I’m fine. They all know, without Ariel, I am the best piano player at camp,” Jessica looks at Marcus with a smile. “Well, as far as everyone at camp, except for all of us, believe. What they don’t know, is that I have always been better than Ariel.”

“Marcus,” Mr. Elks walked over to the piano. “How do you want to be judged this year, as a piano player or a Rock'n Roll electric guitar player?”

“Interesting question,” Marcus pondered. “I’ve won for my guitar playing, so let me be judged this year on the piano.”

“Great,” Samantha rolled her eyes. “Now, I have no chance of winning.”

Everyone laughed, including Samantha.

Jessica tapped her baton on the lectern, “Okay everyone. Okay, let’s get back to practice. We don’t have much time to get this perfect, and we have to get Mr. Elks out of here before he realizes what influence Marcus has had on my composition.”

“What?”

“Calm down Mr. Elks,” Jessica proclaimed. “We have kept about ten percent of the original composition.”

“Very funny Jessica,” Mr. Elks headed for the door. “I know when I am not wanted.”

As the door closed behind him, Mr. Elks heard the room fill with laughter before the fully closed door blocked the noise.

It was about ten after three when Mr. Elks stuck his head into the room for the second time, “I believe I told you all that the Littles were to stop after two hours.”

Samantha and Cindy quickly started packing up their instruments, “We were just leaving Mr. Elks.”

George and Marcus laughed.

“Sorry Mr. Elks,” Marcus said as he stood up grabbing his tablet. “We just lost track of time. I’ll take the Littles over to your house to play for the afternoon.”

“Okay,” Mr. Elks smiled. “Thanks for making sure they get their safely.”

Samantha and Cindy played with the toys and the doll house up until dinner, with only a small stop to put on a singing and dancing performance amidst a bunch of giggles.

After dinner, Jessica, Cindy, and Samantha went off to Jewelry making. They made matching friendship bracelets and necklaces covered with glitter. Cindy made sure everything had extra glitter on it, for who doesn’t love things with glitter.

After evening activities, Jessica convinced Cindy and Samantha to join her in the auditorium. They were having open microphone time. After a quick detour to get Cindy and Samantha’s instruments, they all went together to the auditorium. Upon arriving, they signed up to play a song together.

“They’re pretty good,” Jessica said to Cindy as they sat down to listen to others perform. “Did you know Lori up there plays three instruments? The saxophone is only her latest one.”

“Wow, three instruments.”

“Really,” Samantha interjected. “I wish I could play more than one instrument. Mommy says I can’t until I’m ten. My music teacher says I am never allowed to switch, because I am too good at the violin.”

Mrs. Star came out onto the stage, “What a wonderful performance by Lori and Melissa. Now, we have Mike and Jan.”

Everyone clapped as they came out onto the stage. Mike immediately started to play on his guitar as Jan headed for the microphone. The audience fell silent as a lovely voice echoed through the auditorium. Everyone was mesmerized until the end of the song, when Mrs. Star came out to introduce the next performers.

“Jessica,” Samantha asked? “Can we do anything?”

“Yeah, that is the point of this. This is practice for performing in front of an audience, not in playing your particular instrument.”

“Cindy,” Samantha leaned down to smile at Cindy sitting on the other side of Jessica. “Let’s do what we did this afternoon?”

“Really?”

“Sure, Jessica can play it on the piano.”

“Play what?”

“Unless she wants to join us singing and dancing,” Samantha added.

Jessica grabbed the two younger girls and dragged them out of the auditorium, “Okay you two, speak up. What are you talking about? What do you want me to play or even more ridiculous, what do you want me to sing and dance?”

“Let It Go, from Frozen,” Cindy and Samantha said in unison.

“And what makes you think that I even know the song,” Jessica asked?

“Well,” Samantha said with all honesty. “Everyone knows that song.”

“You know it. Don’t you Jessica?” Cindy looked at Jessica with a questioning look.

“Of course I do,” Jessica replied. “My best friend and I use to sing it together.”

“Oh, that’s great,” Samantha said jumping up to give Jessica a hug.

“Now wait a minute,” Jessica leaned over, putting Samantha back down on the ground. “I didn’t say I would get up on stage and do it with the two of you.”

“Oh, come on Jessica,” Cindy said. “You said we can get up there and do anything.”

“Anything, yes, but Let It Go?”

Samantha smiled, “Well, if you want the first time Cindy performs in front of an audience to be when she plays your composition, then say no. I will go tell Mrs. Star that we have decided not to perform tonight.”

“Ha, Ha, Samantha. I know that Cindy has performed on a stage before.”

“No, SHE hasn’t,” Samantha said still smiling.

“Samantha, I have known Cindy longer than you have. I heard all about this spring when she got up on stage at her elementary music performance.”

“Cindy? Cindy got up on stage and did that?” Samantha asked.

Jessica looked at Samantha and then over at Cindy.

“Samantha does have a point Jessica,” Cindy admitted. “Cindy has never been up on stage performing before.”

“But you told me . . . oooooooooh, Cindy, never has. Now I get it.”

“She’s a little slow, but we love her anyways,” Samantha said.

Cindy giggled.

Just then the girls heard someone scream out, “Ariel, he is over here.”

Cindy, Samantha, and Jessica turned to see one of Ariel’s friends by the corner of the building waving her hands above her head.

“Ariel wouldn’t dare do anything,” Jessica said. “She would be kicked out if she did anything, and never allowed to come back.”

“What’s the big deal to a kid who is too old to come back next year anyways?” Cindy hugged the Molly doll that was in her arm, “I don’t want to see Ariel. Let’s run.”

“All of us running will do no good,” Jessica said. “Ariel and her friends will just catch us. Anyways, she may not be coming for us. She said, ‘he’ is over here.”

As they all slowly started heading for the auditorium doors, they heard Ariel’s friend yell at them, “STOP! You three pip-squeaks stay right there. Ariel is looking for you.”

“Cindy and Samantha,” Jessica said quietly. “Quickly run inside and get Mrs. Star.”

They both ran to the door and were inside before Ariel’s friend managed to reach Jessica.

“Oh, you shouldn’t have done that Jessica. Ariel will not be happy.”

“I don’t care what Ariel feels about it. She is not going to hurt those two Littles,” Jessica declared.

Just then Ariel turned the corner of the building, “Are you talking about the imposter, Cindy?”

“You stay away from Cindy. Mr. Elks . . .”

“I don’t care about Mr. Elks anymore, or my parent’s consequences,” Ariel interrupted. “That Cindy creature is going to pay for what he has done to me. You should be just as mad as me Jessica. You were also tricked by that little imposter.”

“What are you talking about Ariel?”

“Only the biggest camp secret. Cindy is really a boy named Frank.”

“Cindy a boy, now that really is funny Ariel,” Jessica tried to laugh, but all that came out was something that sounded fake. “I never knew you had a sense of humor.”

“This is no joke Jessica,” Ariel pounded her fist into her other hand. “I am going to pulverize that sissy Frank kid.”

“You will do nothing of the kind Ariel,” Mrs. Star said coming out of the auditorium. “You were warned that any more incidents would mean expulsion forever. Now go pack your bags Ariel. You will be going home tonight.”

“Not before I pound that little sissy Frank kid into the ground. It will be worth losing my license during my senior year in High School,” Ariel snarled looking for Frank. “Ahhhh, there he is right behind you. All dressed up as a little diaper wearing baby girl. So Frank, thought you could pretend to be a girl and get away with it? Is that what you thought, Frank? Well, you were wrong, you little freak. Then you get me kicked out of the Top Performer Competition. You will pay for that you little Tranny. No trans kid is welcome at this camp, no matter what Mr. Elks says. Once the other campers know that Mr. Elks admits transgender freaks into this camp, parents will be demanding their money back and pulling their kids out.”

“Really,” someone asked loudly from the crowd behind Mrs. Star? A big teenager named Mike made his way up to Mrs. Star. “Who is this transgender kid you talk about Ariel?”

With an evil smile, Ariel replied, “That freak behind Mrs. Star holding the dolly. What a sissy.”

Mike looked at the two kids behind Mrs. Star, “Isn’t that the kid everyone is talking about named, Cindy?”

“Yeah,” Ariel responded. “And don’t believe for a second that IT is actually the best performer at camp. That was just a lie made up by Jessica over there to get me out of the Best Performer Competition.”

“Really,” Mike smiled and looked down at Cindy. “I never would have guessed that Cindy here was Transgender. She looks so girly. Seems like such a tough thing to be born in the wrong body. No wonder she always carries around a dolly with her. It is hard enough at her age being away from home, but to do it as a transgender little girl. Cindy, you have some guts. Can I shake your hand?”

“No,” Ariel wailed. “That is a boy named Frank. He is a freak. A bizarre freak of nature. We should be beating it up, not shaking it’s hand.”

Mike knelt down next to Cindy and Samantha. He smiled and held out his hand.

“You know, Mike is right,” a teenage girl from the crowd said. “It is impressive such a little girl has so much guts to do that. I also want to meet this amazing kid.”

“Sounds much scarier than standing on stage and preforming,” another voice from the crowd added.

Suddenly lots of kids were lining up behind Mike to shake Cindy’s hand.

“No, you don’t understand,” Ariel screamed. “Let me at the weirdo.”

Before Ariel could even take two steps, a group of kids moved to stand between Cindy and Ariel.

“It looks to me Ariel,” Mrs. Star pushed her way through the crowd. “Like you do not have a lot of supporters here. Now, are you and your friends going to come with me, or are we going to stand here until Mr. Elks comes.”

“Too late for that Mrs. Star,” Jessica said pointing at Mr. Elks, Mr. Gibson, and Mr. Lamar turning the corner with a large group of kids following behind them.

“So,” Mr. Elks said coming up behind Ariel and the four other kids standing with her. “What do we have going on here?”

“Ariel decided she didn’t want to be at camp anymore, so she threatened to beat up Cindy,” Mrs. Star calmly commented.

“What a shame,” Mr. Elks said. “I hate to see kids leave camp early, but to have five leave in one night. I am not sure we have ever had so many choose to leave at once. Mrs. Star, could you please escort Jessica, Cindy, and Samantha to my house. They are going to have a sleepover party at my house tonight. Mr. Gibson and Mr. Lamar will help me escort these five ladies to the Administration offices.”

“Wait,” Ariel interjected. “You can’t do this. That freak is the one that should be leaving, not me. We have to teach him a lesson. Weirdos like him shouldn’t be allowed to be around the rest of us.”

Ariel lunged towards Cindy. Mr. Elks reached out his arm to stop her, but it was only enough to slow her down. The crowd between Cindy and Ariel however, moved closer together and towards Ariel. A group of them moved in to stop her in her tracks.

Under protest, Ariel and her friends were led off, with a group of teenage boys helping the teachers. A problem aroused however, when Mrs. Star tried to lead Jessica, Samantha, and Cindy off to Mr. Elks’ house.

“Cindy,” Mike asked getting back down to Cindy’s level. “Were you going to perform at open mic?”

“Yeah,” Cindy replied. “Samantha and I were going to sing the song Let It Go from Frozen.”

“Mike you can talk with Cindy another time. I need to get her to Mr. Elks’ house,” Mrs. Star tried to interrupt.

“Who here would like to hear Cindy and Samantha sing?”

The crowd indicated that they wanted to hear Samantha and Cindy sing.

“Not tonight everyone,” Mrs. Star tried to take control of the situation. “The girls need to get over to Mr. Elks’ house.”

“But Mrs. Star. . .”

“Mike,” Mrs. Star said. “This is not the time.”

Looking up at Mrs. Star and then back to Cindy, “Okay, but tomorrow I want to hear you sing. I’ll play the music for you on my guitar.”

“Thanks,” Cindy responded with a slight smile.

“As I said earlier, I would like to shake your hand. I am impressed that someone your age would have the guts to come to camp as your true gender,” Mike again reached out his hand.

With some hesitation, Cindy took his hand and shook it.

“Okay, now we need to go,” Mrs. Star tried to physically maneuver the three girls towards Mr. Elks’ house.

Several of the kids said they wanted to shake Cindy’s hand too, but Mrs. Star wouldn’t let them. Instead the kids lined the edge of the walkway, giving Cindy complements as they went. Cindy tried to thank the crowd for stopping Ariel.

By the time they reached the house, it was just the three girls and Mike.

“Thank You Mike for helping protect the girls, but you should go now,” Mrs. Star directed.

“Cindy, Samantha, Jessica,” Mike commented. “I meant it when I said I want to hear your performance. I hope to hear you tomorrow night. I also saw that all three of you are on the Best Performer Competition list. I am also on the list, but I know I have no chance against some of the others on the list. If I lose to one of you, I am okay with that. It is for the best performer, not the best teenager. I wish you all luck. I look forward to hearing you all perform. And Cindy, I really am impressed with your guts to be yourself at your age. There is another transgender individual here at camp that I know of. They wanted to be themselves at your age, but were too scared. Now they regret missing those years. Be who you are Cindy, and never be ashamed of it, no matter what someone else might say. Bye for now.”

“Barbra,” Mrs. Star started to explain the intrusion when the door was opened. “Hunter asked me . . .”

“Cindy and Samantha,” Barbra immediately got down and hugged the girls. “Are you alright? What happened?”

“Ariel tried to beat Cindy up. She found out about Frank,” Jessica replied. “Do you know about Frank, Mrs. Elks?”

“Let’s go inside and talk,” Barbra said.

After Cindy did a quick trip to the bathroom, the girls gave Barbra a very confusing account of the evening, but she got the gist of everything. After the explanation, Mrs. Star left to go collect some things the girls would need for a sleepover. Location and list of necessities for Jessica and Samantha were written down. Everything from stuffed companions to clothes for tomorrow were included.

Furniture was rearranged in the guest room, and the girls set up on the floor to sleep. Pillows, blankets, and anything soft was gathered from throughout the house for the girl’s unexpected sleepover. The girls even arranged things in the room and grabbed a few chairs, so a fort could be set up. Sheets were used to cover the fort, or as Samantha called it, the Princess Castle.

When the room setup was complete, Samantha and Cindy convinced Jessica to practice a singing and dancing routine for Let It Go. After practicing it twice, the girls found Barbra and put on a show for her. Afterwards, Barbra got the girls to get ready for bed. Getting the girls to sleep was a challenge, but when giggles filled the house, it helped reassure Barbra that Cindy would be okay.

up
174 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well Arial & her friends

Samantha Heart's picture

Got theirs, but now HOW did they find out about frank? They must have had inside information for someone in the admin office, or broke in to find confidential files on all the campers. Something doesn't fell right here. And what damage they can do to Cindi if they called her mom.... not looking good.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

About time

Teek's picture

It is actually quite surprising someone didn't figure it out earlier. One day a flute playing boy named Frank is at camp and the next, a flute playing girl named Cindy is at camp. None of the adults seemed to think anything was strange about this. The kid didn't appear to be new to camp, they immediately knew everything.

Don't worry, no spies or secret agents in the Admin offices. Just a bunch of nosy teenage girls who saw what was in front of everyone's faces. The truth.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Reassurance is always nice

Teek's picture

Barbara is so nice and motherly, she needs reassurance occasionally that Cindy will be okay.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Elvis

I will never understand parents. Inflicting the name Elvis on a poor defenseless baby. There are some names that guarantee that a kid will be teased.

(I knew of a man named Arnold who was going to name his kid after his best friend, Benedict, until his wife pointed out there was a problem with that.)

Elvis Lives

Teek's picture

I am sorry, I couldn't resist. Parents name there kids all sorts of strange things. Here I was at Music Camp. Might as well have an Elvis.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

I expected worse to happen, but...

Beoca's picture

How in Eljudnir did Ariel manage to find out that Cindy was trans? I figured that Ariel would go after Cindy because bullies don't know when to give up, but how exactly she found that out doesn't make sense. Nobody in the group would have blabbed, and certainly the couple of staff members who knew wouldn't have done so either. I guess one of the other littles shared Ariel's views, and decided to wage war via proxy? Seems unlikely - wouldn't a little enjoy the teenagers getting salty about being shown up by one of their own - but how else do they find out? Raiding the camp office?

No complaints earlier

Teek's picture

I was shocked that no one complained of the lack of awareness of the switch. Kids are naturally curious and notice everything. They thrive on routine and consistency. Frank was part of camp for a week, and then vanished overnight, replaced by a girl with the same skills and knowledge and in the same classes as Frank was. She even sat in the same spot in the classes. Teachers didn't need to figure out her skill and ability level, they just took it that her skills were the same as Franks or better. No one questioned it when I had that happen, but someone finally figuring out the truth is unbelievable. Amazing.

I love that you enjoy the story enough to be concerned about Cindy, and her future safety. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Overlooking it makes sense, considering the Little-Teen dynamic

Beoca's picture

Why didn't they just clam up and enjoy Ariel's impotent rage? This still confuses me. If I was in their shoes, I do feel like it would be quite gratifying to see those older kids who always made fun of me and my peers being taken down a notch. I guess that they were just really serious about their views and really determined to inflict them.

Cautionary warning

WillowD's picture

Despite the cautionary warning at the beginning of this chapter I found it to be a very feel-good read. Thanks.

I try

Teek's picture

I try my best to only put in violence when absolutely needed. The story led to Ariel doing something stupid. Luckily I figured out how to stop her before it became actual violence. This chapter and the last were the two that caused me to remove the Sweet and Sentimental label from the story. It was intended to just be a sweet little tale, but it is no longer little, and no longer completely sweet. Like many of my stories, this one got away from me and went down avenues that I had not originally intended. PTSD was not supposed to be part of this story, but it is. Prodigies in music was no where in my mind when I started this story, but it went there fast. I try to write feel good stories, even with reality elements in them. I put the cautionary statement in there because I know some on this site have been physically attacked and as close as Cindy got to being beaten up, could have triggered someones PTSD.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

CMC Withdrawal

WillowD's picture

I think I'm "suffering" from Cindy at Music Camp withdrawal. It's been over 3 weeks. I hope the writing is going well.

All kidding aside, the fact that I remembered the story clearly enough to miss it is a strong testament to how much I LOVE this story. My memory sucks these days. This story is truly awesome. Thank you for writing it.

LIFE INTERFERES

Teek's picture

Life has been negatively impacting my health, which dramatically impacts my writing time and drive. to keep you interested, I shall post my next chapter.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

CMC

"Warning" --- Don't read this story unless you want to entertained by a story that fills you with emotion. You'll smile at how some people can be so supportive and protective, and disgusted with how others can be so mean. A great story that I can't wait to continue to read.

Willow

thanks

Teek's picture

Thank you for your supportive comment. It is greatly appreciated.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Two TG campers?

Jamie Lee's picture

Therapy is urgently needed by Ariel because of her out of control fixation of a small child who is TG and plays like an angel. The elephant in the room asks how she found out about Frank but not the other TG person at camp.

Ariel has never won the the top musician at the competition the entire time she's been attending music camp, which means her ability wasn't as good as she believed.

But to be outdone by a little kid, for her final time tripped her over the edge to enact violence against the little kid. Losing her driving license is the least of her worries, staying out of a psychological hospital is her now main problem. Or if Frank's parents decide, having her arrested for assault--might not stick but her actions against Frank will be on record and force Ariel into counseling.

Ariel's friends picked the wrong person to follow around or befriend. Now they are in the same boat as Ariel, and may end up with the same counselor.

Mrs. Star quickly changed the subject about Frank and the other TG person, as protection for the two or another reason?

Mike really flipped Ariel out when he wanted to shake Cindy's hand for having the courage to be who she really is in front of everyone. And when others also wanted to shake her hand, Ariel likely could have flown to the moon without any assistance.

How will others react the following day once the story gets out, and it will? Will the other TG person introduce themself to Cindy? Has the last of the angry people been kicked out of camp?

Others have feelings too.

good questions

Teek's picture

You ask a lot of really good questions. I hope I will be able to answer some of them in the next few days.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek