What Milsy Did -31-

Printer-friendly version

Milsy and Senidet learn the good news, then have to locate a pair of boots... Later, Captain Merek presents Milsy with a new project.

grakh on parchment

What Milsy Did

by Penny Lane

31 - Important Announcements


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2019 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Author's note: Many readers may experience deja vu while reading parts of this tale. This is unavoidable, since Milsy's tale is inextricably intertwined with that of Garia. Interactions between the two are already documented and therefore must be presented as such.

However, Milsy's story is becoming significant in its own right, and interactions with Garia (and others) will always be presented here as seen from Milsy's point of view, so they will not be exactly the same as in other tales.



"What are we going to do with all these winter clothes?" Her hands on her hips, Milsy stared at the heaps of thick coats, gowns and other attire which had been draped over almost every available surface. "I don't think these are going to fit in my clothes closet at all!"

"As you say, Mistress," Bursila agreed. "These quarters are designed for a male Questor, naturally, since no-one ever thought that a woman would be capable of the post. Lady Garia has shown all that is not true, and, if I may venture, you yourself may become a Questor in time."

Milsy frowned. "I am forced to agree, Bursila, though the thought fills me with dread. I have heard what happened when Garia addressed the massed ranks of the Questors! I do not have her fire, I regret. Still, you are right, we have attire that no man would ever require, and we have nowhere to put it all."

"I am in like distress, Mistress, since my room is designed for a manservant, and there is even less hanging space. The servants who brought these did mention that, now that the Wardrobe Department has disposed of some excess stock, there may be some spare rails they could provide for us."

"Hmm. A short term solution, I deem, but we may have to make use of one or two. I thought that moving in here was a good idea, I am not so certain now."

Bursila suggested, "Mistress, it is common for the nobility to pack away clothes not required for the season, for example, we may pack away some of your summer gowns."

"I don't think that it will make enough difference, Bursila, but it can only help." Milsy wrinkled her nose. "I do not have that many summer gowns anyway! Nor did I have the chance to wear many, we have been too busy making things instead of standing around being admired."

"As you say, Mistress." Bursila paused. "If I may suggest, I would choose one of your new winter gowns this morning. It is apparent that something important happened last night, and you may be required, indeed, to stand around and be admired today. If it is not so, it will not be so far to come and change into something more appropriate."

"You are right, Bursila, and I suppose that means boots and a housecoat as well?"

"Of course, Mistress. It is not warm this morning, you must needs be well protected against a chill."

As on the previous day, Senidet and Molleena appeared while Milsy was finishing her preparations for breakfast. Both were also attired in their new winter clothing, though Senidet was not wearing her newly-issued winter boots.

"Good morning to you both," she greeted them. "Has there been any news?"

Senidet shook her head while Molleena curtseyed.

"Mistress," the maid said, "I was briefly able to ask if anybody had any fresh news about what happened yesterday and all manner of possibilities are being spoken of." She blushed. "I am not sure that any of them are true, though. Some are so unlikely that even I would not believe them! Why, someone even thought that Prince Keren -"

She stopped, blushing. "Mistress, I should not delay you with idle chatter. I would just say that the most popular thought is that Prince Keren is to be betrothed, but that no-one knows whether it is to be Princess Eriana or Lady Garia."

"Which is about what we had decided yesterday," Milsy said. "Very well, I expect we will find out sooner or later, do you not agree?" She frowned. "Senidet, I notice you do not wear your winter boots as we do. Are they yet too warm for you, or is there some other problem?"

"If it please you, Milsy, it seems that the boots which were delivered to my chamber are too big! I do not know how this has happened, I am sure that when I was fitted yesterday they were of a comfortable size. If you may advise me, what should I do?"

Milsy grinned at the smith's daughter. "Don't ask me, I haven't been here long enough to fully understand how the Wardrobe functions, even though they now make all manner of strange garments for me! Bursila, do you know any more?"

"Very little more indeed, Mistress," her maid replied. "I will note, however, that when Lady Garia and Lady Merizel both attended the Wardrobe together on a previous occasion, certain items were delivered to the wrong chamber. Mayhap this is a similar occurrence."

"Ah, yes, of course! With everyone desiring their winter gear it is very likely that some mistakes have been made. Senidet, do you need my help to find what you should have had?"

Senidet looked worried yet determined. "If I may, I would like to attempt the Wardrobe by myself first, Milsy. I must learn to find my own way about the palace, I deem. Should I not be understood, then I doubt not there will be many in the palace who would assist me."

"As you say! But before you may venture yonder, we must first discover what the King has decided, and there is little doubt we should learn that in the dining room. Let us go and break our fast, then."

They reached the dining room almost before anyone else, which meant that Milsy had to wait impatiently for other arrivals. Several of the senior staff who Milsy knew by sight appeared but she didn't want to accost them and possibly embarrass herself. Eventually, Eriana appeared, trailed as usual by her two silent maids.

"Good morning, Your Highness," Milsy curtseyed.

Eriana seemed to be more relaxed this morning, for some reason. "Good morrow to you, Milsy. You are, as usual, early to break your fast."

Milsy smiled. "Not difficult, Highness, when my chambers are just there." She gestured through one of the new windows.

"As you say. I see you have a housecoat on over your gown today, and boots. It is colder today, is it not? Although I am used to such temperatures in Einnland, I am pleased that I was permitted to go to the Palace Wardrobe and obtain some extra layers. At home we make much use of furs, but I do not think that such garments are suitable for the King's breakfast table."

Milsy suppressed a giggle. "Ah, I think not, Highness... although, I can see the virtue of such attire when one has to venture outside."

"As you say!"

"Um, Highness, would it be appropriate to ask what happened yesterday? The whole palace is filled with rumors."

Eriana stared at Milsy for a short while before softening. "Milsy, I may not break a confidence concerning a private meeting with the King, you must know that." She thought for a moment. "Let me just say... that, much to my regret, it is unlikely that I will become the next Queen of Palarand."

"You mean that -" Eriana's expression was bland. "...Ah, as you say."

"I have no doubt that the King will make a formal announcement today, Milsy. You will not have long to wait to discover the truth or otherwise of such rumors." She chuckled. "In many ways, the palace resembles my father's halls, but at least here lives do not depend on the truth or otherwise of a rumor."

When Keren and Garia entered the dining room with the Queen there was a scattering of applause from those already present. Eriana, Milsy and Senidet walked across to join them.

"Your Majesty, Your Highness, My Lady." Milsy curtseyed. "Is it true? I have heard such rumors that I wished to be true but could not believe."

"My dear," Terys replied, "It is true, and there will be a formal announcement after breakfast by the King, when we take our regular audience."

"Ma'am, that's wonderful news!" Milsy's face fell. "Does that mean Garia is going to be busy all day?"

"I do not believe so, my dear. There will doubtless be some interest in her this morning but there is no rush in this matter. You desire to speak with her?"

"Ma'am, I do," Milsy replied.

Garia added, "There are some matters between us need resolving, Ma'am. The armsmen, for one, and oaths for another. You remember, I told you the other day?"

"I remember, my dear. Yes, I think you two had better resolve those questions before too long. Shall you require advice from myself, or perhaps that of Kendar?"

Garia said, "Um, I think we'd better just talk first, Ma'am. Then when we have questions to ask we'll come and find someone who has the answers."

"As you say, dear."

Robanar appeared, talking animatedly to Merizel. Once in the room Terys went to join him while Merizel approached Garia looking extremely excited.

"Garia! I mean, good morning, Your Highness, Your Highness, My Lady." Merizel executed a belated curtsey and then carried on gushing, "I barely believed what you told me last night, though I knew it would happen eventually. The King confirmed it as we met in the corridor just now. Oh, congratulations, both of you, I am so pleased!"

"So it would seem," Keren said dryly. "Mistress Senidet, has any told you the news?"

"Your Highness, there are many rumors about the palace this morning. From what I have just heard, it seems that Garia is to be betrothed to you. Is this so?"

"It is, Senidet."

"Then I must add my congratulations to you and to the Baroness. Oh!"

"Some problem, Senidet?"

The smith's daughter looked abashed to be speaking to Keren in this manner, but they had journeyed from Blackstone together and she felt she could impose.

"Highness, I wondered what would happen to Blackstone, should Garia become your bride."

"Oh, that's easy," Garia said. "Blackstone carries on as it is. There's a complicated arrangement already in place for just such circumstances as these. I'll dig out the papers and you can see for yourself. I think it will do you good to find out what happens behind the scenes when baronies like mine get set up."

Senidet frowned. "'Behind the scenes', Milady?"

"Oh, it means all the hard work people do that most people don't get to see," she explained. "Like most of what your father does, in fact."

"As you say, Milady."

Garia saw Kendar about to bang his staff and said quickly, "Everyone! After breakfast the King will announce it formally in the Receiving Room. You'll all be there, won't you?"

"Of course, Garia!"

Kendar banged his staff and everybody separated to find their respective seats. During the meal there was a noticeable buzz around the tables as the news filtered along to those who had not yet been officially informed. At the end, Kendar banged his staff again for silence.

"If it please you, His Majesty and Her Majesty will this morning conduct an audience in the Receiving Room, where an important announcement concerning His Highness Prince Keren will be made. The audience will begin in a quarter of a bell."

Milsy, Senidet, Bursila, Molleena and their two armsmen followed the others trooping through the corridors to the great Receiving Room, which was already rapidly filling despite the weather. They joined the crowd in front of the thrones. Keren had taken the seat next to his father's throne, with Eriana to his right, while Garia sat next to the Queen's throne.

Milsy looked around at the audience in the Receiving Room. This was the first public function involving the King she had attended, and the largest crowd. There were at least a hundred and fifty people there, a number of them no doubt other palace servants who 'just happened' to be nearby to hear the King's words. There were a significant number of guardsmen around the room and Milsy wondered why. The rest of the crowd were apparently petitioners or friends and relatives of those who were. All had traveled in that morning and all were dressed for the outdoors, which was just as well since there was no heating in the room.

Kendar banged his staff and Robanar and Terys entered through the doors behind their thrones to stand in front of them. Everybody in the room bowed and curtseyed. The King and Queen took their seats and those in the room who had them followed suit. Most, of course, remained standing. Kendar took a small scroll from his sash and began to read.

"His Majesty Robanar, by the Maker's grace King of Palarand, together with Her Majesty Terys, by the Maker's grace Queen of Palarand, attend an audience of their people here today. If any should have dispute, concern or grievance which the King or Queen may judge, let him stand forward that they may hear his petition." He paused, then continued, "Before the first petitioner is heard His Majesty makes an important announcement concerning his son Prince Keren, Heir to the throne of Palarand. Silence for the King's words!"

The rustle in the room died away magically as Robanar stood.

"My people," he began. "It gives me great pleasure to announce that a suitable consort has been found for our son Prince Keren."

Everybody's eyes became riveted on Eriana, sitting beside Keren.

"This young lady came to Palarand under mysterious circumstances and we have taken her in, given her shelter and residence in the palace. The bonds between our son and this young lady already run deep and it seems right for him, for her, for Palarand and for Alaesia that these bonds shall continue and be confirmed by their marriage."

There were some expressions of confusion, now, of puzzlement. Some looked at Eriana, at Garia, not knowing what was happening. There were two young ladies present, which was which?

"I speak, of course, of Lady Garia, Baroness Blackstone. She has already proved her worth to Palarand and it is fitting that she should be joined to our son Keren, who will guide Palarand in the years following our own reign. Keren, Garia, stand forth that our people may recognize you."

Garia rose and stepped forward, then turned and joined Keren to stand in front of his parents. They in turn stood up and positioned themselves either side of the young couple. All eyes were definitely on Garia, now.

"Behold, our son Keren and our daughter Garia. No date has yet been determined for the wedding since there are more serious matters that presently concern Palarand, but we deem it will be celebrated soon after Spring's Dawning."

There was a moment's stunned silence, but the applause began, slowly at first but building up until most of those in the room were clapping, even the guardsmen. The expressions on the faces of those around Milsy told a different story, though. Those who were familiar with Garia, like the palace staff and most of the guildsmen she could identify in the crowd, were smiling or grinning as they knew her and thought it would be a good match. Some of those whose clothes picked them out to be of noble rank or maybe city burghers looked disapproving while the bulk of the audience looked merely relieved that their Prince had finally found a consort.

Robanar waited for the noise to die down before adding, "So that you may come to know the woman who will one day be your Queen we propose to hold events in the palace and the city that you may meet her and speak with her." He gave the crowd a lopsided smile. "I will not wish a hard journey upon you, we will devise such events as the weather permits us. Kendar, have the customary notices of betrothal made, that they may be distributed about our lands for the benefit of our people."

"As you command, Sire."

"Now, perhaps we should deal with matters more urgent to you all. Keren, you may conduct Garia from this room, if you would. Kendar, let us continue with our customary routine."

"As you desire, Sire."

Kendar began booming out instructions as Keren led Garia out through one of the doors behind the throne. All of Garia's retinue followed. As the crowd surged forward, Milsy grabbed Senidet's hand for security and her two guardsmen forged a path towards the main doors, followed by the four women.

As they walked along the corridor to Milsy's door, she asked, "You are going to the Wardrobe now, I deem?"

"I think that would be best, Milsy. Although these shoes suffice for now, if it should become any colder I will have need of boots like your own, and it may take some time to correct the mistake."

"Ah, it might be as well to check everything else that has been delivered, Senidet. If they can get one thing wrong -"

"As you say." Senidet nodded understanding. "Was there something that you had planned for me this morning? If there is time after I have visited the Wardrobe, I mean."

Milsy turned to her own maid. "What was I supposed to be doing this morning, Bursila? There are several projects I could look at with Senidet, but if there is anything more important I should be doing?"

"Mistress," Bursila said, "if I may remind you that there are still clothes everywhere."

Milsy slapped her forehead. "I forgot! Aye, Bursila, we must attend to that first, of course." To Senidet's enquiring look she explained, "All our own winter attire has been delivered and there is almost nowhere to put it, so it has just been heaped over everywhere in our quarters. The usual occupant, the Royal Questor, would be a man, and he would not need space for so much as we do."

"And you have a solution, perhaps?"

"Part of one. The Palace Wardrobe, having disposed of many unnecessary garments recently, now has spare rails, some of which we may borrow for a while. It might be better if we went there first to see what we can pick up."

"Of course. I would be pleased to help, Milsy, since it permits me to see more of how the palace functions."

Milsy smiled. "To your chamber and then the Wardrobe it is, then. After you."

* * *

Milsy grinned. "Your place or mine?"

Garia smiled back. "Actually, I haven't been to Morlan's - I mean, the Royal Questor's - quarters since we left the palace months ago. Do you mind if we come over? I know you have room for meetings."

"Of course, Garia! Who should I expect?"

"Me and Merizel, I guess. Keren? Will you join us?"

Keren shook his head. "Something has happened in the city. Marshal Forton is expected during the afternoon, my father may wish you to join our discussions. If you go to the laboratory then we'll know where to find you."

"Okay. Shouldn't be a problem. See you later."

Garia, Merizel and Milsy set off from the dining room trailed by their maids and four guardsmen, two of hers and two for Milsy. Because the recent cold spell had generated ice everywhere they couldn't take the direct route to the Questor's quarters but went through the corridors before ending up at a well-remembered door. They entered and went straight to the sitting room where Bursila immediately poked the fire back into life. The three selected chairs and sat down, for a moment just examining each other.

"You've certainly changed, Milsy," Garia remarked. "Life in the palace obviously agrees with you."

"It's not so much the palace as the guildsmen, Garia. Once they realized that I wasn't stupid, whatever my past may have suggested to them, I have had nothing but help. I really have to thank you for giving me the opportunity to show everybody what I could do." She smiled. "Having the King and Queen at your side certainly helps, too! They knew what you were capable of, they wondered if I could become something similar. I don't think I'm the same as you, we're different, but we both show what women can do, can't we?"

"That's certainly true! I changed a lot of minds on our journey north. Palarand is never going to be the same again."

"Aye." Milsy looked at Garia. "You are not the same, either. You have battled men and monsters, not to mention falling in love with a certain Prince of our acquaintance! I am not certain I could have managed any of those things. Still, I cannot complain. For a kitchen drudge I'm not doing so badly, am I?"

Garia realized that there was someone missing, a certain person who had been present the last time she had been in this sitting room.

"You're not! Speaking of romantic attachments, where is Tarvan? I thought we'd have bumped into him since we've been back."

"Ah, he's in Teldor presently, Garia. You would not believe the quantities of wire which are needed to make all that we have invented. Or perhaps, coming from Earth, you would. He supervises the construction of three workshops... no, factories, I believe the word is, which will make wire of various kinds. One will be of copper wire for electrical use, another will be of iron or steel wire for construction purposes, the third will produce a mixture for use in manufacturing."

"Oh. We must have passed on the road. And with winter here you can't even send letters, can you."

Milsy grinned. "We can, provided we keep them short so that the semaphore system can take them. We use a code so that no nosey persons can find out what we speak about."

"You two are serious?"

Milsy smiled at the question. "We are! I think it was as natural an attachment as your own, Garia. There was no need for negotiation, we just found that we spoke of the same things and enjoyed each other's company as you did."

"I'm pleased for you two, I really am." Garia paused, her expression becoming business-like. "Now, we'd better get down to the reason for this meeting. This morning I've been with Captain Merek where he formally handed over the men who have been escorting you to House Blackstone."

Milsy nodded. "Aye. He told me at lunch."

"Good. Of course I'm happy for those men to keep doing what they already do but it raised a number of questions, not least your own status. You see, nobody is sure just who or what you are now. Can you ever remember giving your oath to anyone?"

Milsy frowned. "No, I can't, Garia. Is this a problem?"

"Not really, but it's causing uncertainty. Someone is going to ask why, for example, House Blackstone men should protect someone who has no alliegance to their Baroness. Everybody in this land answers to someone. Who do you answer to?"

"I don't know," Milsy answered slowly. "It never occurred to me, I was just enjoying myself. I assumed all that was taken care of." She looked at Garia. "You have considered the matter, of course."

"Me and the Queen, yes." Garia smiled herself. "It seems I have learned a great deal about how the status system works in Palarand though there's nothing like it in Kansas. The way I see it you have three choices, though there may be others. First, you could become my vassal. If you do that you have the use of my armsmen as a right. Second, you become a direct vassal of the King. I'll still provide the troops, seeing as how we both do odd things that don't fit in with the usual palace routine, but you'd be his responsibility, not mine. Third, you could become a Free Guildswoman, if there is such a thing. That would mean you'd only have your Guildswoman's oath to bind you, but that may be all you'd wish for."

"And the armsmen in the third case?"

Garia shrugged. "I don't know. Hey! I'm making this up as I go along, you know."

Milsy grinned. "I'll let you into a secret, I do too! Please don't tell Tarvan, will you?" Her face became serious. "There's other angles to this that I can see. Where would I live? I reside here in the Questor's quarters at the King's pleasure, if I choose wrongly I could be thrown out. And then there's the problem of funding. Tarvan and I could do a lot more if there was more coin for materials. As it is we have to buy materials with Guild grants and they are sorely tried with everything else that is happening."

"I can believe that! In fact, I am personally funding a lot of the development they are doing. Hmm." Garia's expression became thoughtful. "I could just cut out the middle man, I guess. Look, if you were to swear to me, you'd have access to my treasury, which the Queen tells me is uncomfortably large for that of a mere baroness. In fact, she's told me I need to employ some accountants to handle the cash flow."

"Cash flow... interesting phrase, but it describes the process very well, doesn't it? Um, I think you should find out just what Tarvan and I have been doing down here before you start making offers like that. Oh!" Milsy giggled. "I keep forgetting where you come from! You've probably seen everything we have invented before, haven't you?"

"That's not necessarily so, Milsy. I don't expect Anmar to follow the same path as Earth and I don't really want them to. By imitating Earth you may miss other, more useful ideas and devices, other ways of looking at problems. In fact, I didn't want Gerdas to use the twenty-four hour system but it seems that it is too useful to ignore."

"You're right. It makes it so much simpler to organize the day that I wonder we hadn't thought of it decades ago. The bell system is good enough for present use, mostly, but it won't work much further into the future, not once we start tying Palarand and the nearby countries together with the semaphore system. After that we'll have an electric telegraph, and then I imagine we'll be speaking to one another. Am I right?"

"Wow. Yes, you are right. But a voice telephone system is a lot more complicated than a telegraph system will be. You're not just sending pulses of electricity from one end to the other." Garia waved a hand. "That's for another time. You understand what I was saying about not imitating Earth?"

Milsy nodded positively. "Yes. But there's no reason we can't pick out the good bits, is there? As to the other matter, can I think on it a while? In fact, why don't I show you some of our experiments out in the laboratory? That will give me time to decide what to do."

Garia, Milsy and Merizel left the sitting room and entered the great laboratory. Since it was such a huge room it was very cold and they made sure to close their coats around themselves as they walked through.

"I must apologize," Milsy said, "If I had thought about your visit we could have gotten some heating organized in here. Normally it's too hot with the forge and the steam engine running together."

"That's fine," Garia replied. "We're probably not going to be in here too long anyway. Wow, did you do all this while we were gone?"

"Not by myself, of course." Milsy was bashful. "I just have the crazy ideas, the guildsmen run around and make them for me."

Most of the benches in the long room remained untouched from when Garia had last seen it. The two at the far end, near the furnace, were the ones she and Keren had used and Milsy had taken full advantage of their availability. One had two brass clock mechanisms on it, interconnected with wires and a battery in the middle.

"Is this from when you figured out how to use the Great Clock?"

"It is, but the story is a little more complicated, Garia. The guildsmen who look after the clock had to do some maintenance on it and they invited Tarvan along to have a look, since he had shown some curiosity, so naturally he invited me. I didn't even know what the word clock meant at that time. The guildsmen weren't too sure but he convinced them I was harmless so we went off to the Clock Tower... you've been there, of course?"

"Me? No, I never got that far. The only tower I have been up is the big one over the water tank with the lookout post on the top. I did some star-gazing with Master Gerdas."

"Oh, as you say. The lightning rods have made a real difference there, I can tell you... where was I? Oh, yes. When we reached the tower it had the most amazing mechanical thing inside, almost filling the top of it. Hanging underneath was a pendulum and some weights which made everything go. They explained to Tarvan that, whenever the weights neared the floor they would have to wind them up again and this would take time, so that the Great Clock gradually became less and less accurate, eventually needing to be corrected by a sand-dropper brought from another clock in the Hall of the Guilds.

"They didn't have to do the winding that day, just some lubrication and other cleaning up jobs, so Tarvan and I stood on the walkway while they did that and tried to work out how we could improve the clock. First idea was a steam engine, of course, but that wasn't practical since someone would have to stoke it day and night and the power need was very small. Then we talked about having two weights, so that one going down would pull the other up and so on. That's when I learned why perpetual motion wouldn't work!

"Finally I realized that I was becoming... tranced by the motion of the pendulum and thought, what if we could make the arm of the pendulum close a spring switch each time it swung, and that switch turned on an electromagnet for just a moment, while the pendulum arm was right there. Wouldn't that be enough to just keep the pendulum going without needing a weight at all? Then Tarvan said, what about when you had to change the battery, and I pointed out that you could put a new one in before you took the old one out."

"That's a very clever idea, Milsy."

Milsy looked pleased. "I thought so myself, and in fact Tarvan couldn't see anything wrong with it, but when we explained it all to the guildsmen they practically ordered us out of the tower at sword-point! They didn't want anyone tampering with such an important machine, and I cannot blame them for that. So we asked Guildmaster Parrel next time we met and he obtained these two clock mechanisms from the Clockmakers' Guild to experiment with. It took us a week to prove that this clock," Milsy indicated the one nearest the window, "kept better time than the Great Clock did when modified to use the battery instead of a weight.

"During that week I idly wondered, amongst other ideas, if the same switch that operated the pendulum could operate pendulums in more than one clock... and Tarvan pointed out that, if one clock kept good enough time, we didn't need pendulums in the other clocks at all. Then the whole idea exploded with terrifying speed and before we knew it Master Parrel had suggested installing what he called Repeater Clocks in all the major rooms in the palace."

"Like those clocks in the Receiving Room and the family dining room."

"Indeed, Garia. A big problem we faced was that the dawn and dusk bells reset the bell numbers and this makes the mechanisms very complicated, even if we added extra wires to set the numbers right. Then Master Gerdas came along with his ideas of hours and minutes and the design of the whole thing changed completely... is it like this on Earth?"

"It can be, and there's a danger there. If you let a committee get hold of your ideas, bad things can happen to it. Sometimes, of course, you need a committee to make sure your idea will be useful to the largest bunch of people, so they are not all bad. So, this other clock is your slave clock, is it?"

"Slave Clock... ah, I think I like that name better than Repeater Clock. Yes, it is. As you can see, it was made exactly the same as the other one but we took half the parts out because they weren't needed. That made a big impression on the Clockmakers' Guild, I can tell you. Anything that saves time and materials making a clock can only be good, don't you agree?"

"Absolutely. We're always looking for shortcuts or simplifications to make life easier. Like using paper instead of parchment." Garia turned to the other bench. "What about -"

A footman approached from the domestic end of the laboratory. He bowed and then addressed Garia.

"Milady, the King desires your presence in his parlor."

"Oh, of course. Milsy, I have to go. I'll see you at the evening meal, yes?"

"As you say, Garia."

Garia turned to the footman. "Lead the way, please."

Merizel asked, "What about me, Garia?"

"Uh, I don't know, Merry. You'd better come along and see, if the King doesn't want you then no doubt he'll let us know."

Milsy and Bursila watched as the footman led Garia, Merizel, Jenet and Tandra out of the laboratory.

Milsy muttered, "Garia is right, you know. Presently, we and Tarvan are doing special projects for the King, we are loosely connected to the palace and we are loosely connected to the guilds, but I doubt we are part of any official organization at all! Come, let us go back to the sitting room, where it is at least warmer than it is in here."

Having made themselves comfortable, Milsy asked, "Have you any thoughts, Bursila? What I should do, I mean? It is no good letting me make this decision, since I have recently been but a servant like yourself. I have no idea how such matters are determined."

"I do not, Mistress," Bursila admitted. "My roots are a sleepy country castle, I know as little of the arrangements of palaces or guilds as you do. If I may suggest, Master Tarvan may be able to assist when he returns from Teldor."

"That is true. He is on his way, we have but to wait a day or two. Meanwhile," she changed the subject, "are you satisfied with how we have arranged our attire?"

"Not really, Mistress, though at least we may now find anything we need without difficulty. When we moved here from Lady Garia's chamber it seemed a sensible idea, now I wonder if it was."

The two talked a while about several personal and other matters and were eventually interrupted by the appearance of Senidet and Molleena.

"Ah! Come in, sit down, warm yourselves. Have you managed to discover the problem?"

Senidet made herself comfortable and replied, "Aye, Milsy. It seems that the Wardrobe is changing its records from using our normal numbers to using the Garian numbers. One of the attendants is not so familiar with the new shapes and read the numbers wrong. It took Lady Dyenna some time to find out where my boots had been delivered."

"Oh, I see. Is everything correct now?"

Senidet raised a booted foot. "Indeed, Milsy. Lady Dyenna thanked me for my help in finding the problem."

Milsy's eyebrows rose. "You understand the Garian numbers, of course?"

"Why, of course! Lady Garia had some sheets printed with instructions on how it all worked and many in Blackstone have had the benefit. Those who can read, of course, and do their numbers." She blushed. "Which my father taught me several years ago."

Milsy grinned. "You are lucky, you could learn all that at your father's knee. I had to wait until I came to the palace before I could learn to read, write and do my numbers. What a difference that knowledge has made! Lady Garia desires that all, whatever their age and station, learn the same and Palarand will be a different place when it is done."

"So she has told us, on the journey down the Palar."

"Changing the subject, had you any thoughts what you wanted to do this afternoon, Senidet?"

"Thank you, Milsy, I wondered if you could explain to me how those small clocks function. I mean, I think I see how the electricity works, but it is the part before, how it is possible to go from that swinging... what did you name it? The big weight on the long rod?"

"Oh, the pendulum? Yes, of course." Milsy grinned at Senidet. "It is simple, really, but I think we must needs make use of a blackboard, since the numbers - the Garian numbers - are important. Oh, and I can tell you how the old system works as well, and why the King has decided that the twenty-four-hour method will be better."

"I wondered about that. To someone who does not know, it will seem an unwanted change and cause annoyance and confusion, but if the King deems that we must needs change, I desire to know the reason for it."

"As you say! Let us go, then, to the study where I can explain all."

* * *

As Milsy and Bursila were making themselves ready for the evening meal, an apologetic Tilmar knocked on the bedroom door. After making themselves tidy, Bursila opened the door.

"My apologies, Mistress, to disturb you this way. Captain Merek desires a word, before you attend the evening meal."

"If he may wait but a few moments, we will be ready to speak with him."

"As you wish, Mistress."

In the sitting room they found Merek waiting. "Mistress, I have just come from a meeting with the King and others, concerning the war which we shall soon be forced to prosecute."

Milsy noted the serious expression he had. "Go on, Captain."

"Among many other matters, he has asked me to review the readiness of the palace and those within it for war. I find that, after recent events, we are mostly well prepared, but something we spoke of recently has become more important, I deem.

"If you would consider making firm designs and plans for installing the electric alarm system we spoke about. I would not ask you yet to begin construction, but to provide lists of materials, and of the bells and men it might take to install such a system, that we might plan accordingly."

Milsy was surprised. "Captain, the alarm system is yet but an idea in my mind. I have bent some thoughts as to how it could be done, but I would need to know where the alarm points may be placed about the palace and grounds, and what kinds of... signals, shall we say, it must needs provide your men."

"Of course. I will make my Quadrants available to you to explain what they desire." He quirked a smile. "Mind you, we have five Quadrants, you might be offered five different ideas! Of course, not all the men will be available immediately, two are at ease, but the planning will take some weeks, we judge. The King does not expect that such a system as we contemplate will be ready before the winter has passed."

"I'm sure we can work out something, Captain. We now know how and where to place wires about the palace, it should be but a matter of designing a box which even the most... untutored... guardsman may understand."

Merek smiled. "You need not gentle your words, Mistress! Many of our men are clever enough, but there are always some who will misunderstand even the simplest instruction. You understand our needs well, I deem. I look forward to what you may provide for us."

"So do I, Captain. So do I."

up
225 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Milsy as defense contractor

She is applying new technologies to Palarand’s defense so she is a defense contractor. Bring on the 1000 crown alarm bells :)

Seriously though, compensation? She is a free agent at the moment so should get compensation beyond room and board.

Knowing Queen Terys

There is likely an account at least keeping track of what she is owed by various parties, the tricky part is, with all the industry and infrastructure investment and now the war, they don't exactly have much in the way of discretionary funds, which being an unexpected but not emergency expense, this and many other things would qualify for, there's likely a similar arrangement with the guilds, so long as they keep track of what is owed, given how investment heavy they are...

True

But the amount has not been negotiated unless it is for a customary rate for all guildsmen. She would be underpaid as a consultant.

Well it could be a percentage

Well it could be a percentage of profit rate for consultant work, you also have to consider Milsy as someone that has little directly experience with handling money, and with banking in its infancy getting money in a usable form now when those she's working with don't have much to spare at the moment is problematic.

However, Milsy was under the

However, Milsy was under the direct authority of the Monarch, and then under the authority of the Guildmistress/Baroness Blackstone. Considering the oversight that Terys had over Garia's royalties, it's unlikely that the guild would be doing any more than standard rates. Remember the conversation in Tranidor - there are standard guildsman contracts.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

A wonderful story!

I'm really enjoying this story and was so glad to see a new installment!

Thank You and I hope RL doesn't keep interfering with the time you have available for your muse.

Hugs
Gina

About this alleged Real Life...

We had the gas engineer in this morning to look at a boiler problem.

When he unscrewed the faceplate of the combustion chamber, he snapped off one of the retaining bolts. There had been a water leakage since the last inspection (April 2018) and the bolt had rusted solid. Not the engineer's fault.

Since the rest of the bolt is still in the combustion chamber, it would have to be replaced, meaning a complete stripdown and rebuild. The boiler is ~17 years old, so we have opted for a replacement, with a fat discount.

Just as the weather turns colder again :(

Penny

It could be a lot worse.

It could be a lot worse. Not having hot water is uncomfortable, but survivable. Our A/C went out just before the summer hit. In Houston, that's next to suicidal. (The second A/C guy managed to drain it, fired nitrogen through the system to eject something stuck in it, cleaned it up, put in a new fan motor (burned out due to the previous guy not checking that insulation panels had fallen on the motor), recharged the system, and it was back to good as new)

Surprised the guy didn't try to tap and use a bolt extractor first. (Still, at 17 years, most water heaters don't make it past 10)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

It's an interesting problem,

It's an interesting problem, they need to be able to easily encode "what and where" into the alarm, with a very limited bandwidth and have it be easy to understand. Moreover, it should be adaptable to other places as well...

An old friend

Teek's picture

This is the first story I read in this universe. I am so glad to see it continue it has a special place in my heart. Thank you

Timelines are a little confusing in all the different stories that are still continuing in different time periods. I just have to get back into Milsy timeline.

I am a little confused by the wardrobe problem. Why don't they just get the cabinetmakers in the Castle to make them some wardrobes? If these are going to be her quarters, it seems a very simple request that I am sure the queen would support.

I don't glad you are feeling better and well enough to be writing again Welcome back

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Technically...

LibraryGeek's picture

It's still the Royal Questor's Quarters; it's just that in the absence of such a person, Milsy is being allowed to use them, as they meet her needs better than any other available quarters within the Palace.

Since they're only temporarily hers, modifying the personal living space in a manner which might not suit the needs of said future Royal Questor is... discouraged, shall we say?

Grabbing free-standing clothes hanging racks works, and makes no permanent changes; it also has the advantage of being able to be done very rapidly, as the racks exist and are currently not being used, so it's just getting someone to move them once they obtain permission to use them. Like, it could be done within a couple of hours of being approved... which cannot be said of building and installing a new wardrobe.

No power tools considerably impacts the amount of time it takes to do such a thing; there's a reason I suffer from tool lust so much of the time... mind, someone is going to start thinking about small motors and drills, saws, etc., fairly soon, I would think, but I don't recall any mention of that so far, and definitely not to the extent that they'd be portable rather than stationary.

Since the clothes are already there, it needs to be dealt with now. Even if they did obtain permission to modify the living space, this would need to be done to deal with the clothes until such a modification was complete.

Yours,

John Robert Mead

They do have some 'motorized'

They do have some 'motorized' tools, but they're simple ones. It's been mentioned about having drills that they've burned out, for example. That requires high speed heat. So, they're probably driven by treadles and gearing from mills (even without steam engines).

I loved watching the woodwright's shop, with the treadle/pulley driven lathe, for example. Lumber mill rip saws, as well. It's just that most of them would have to be up the valley, with faster moving water through rock, for the mill races.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

IIRC

Fulvin was working on a drill press (he hadn't constructed one yet) a couple of chapters ago... Or maybe it is next chapter I'm only working on my third read through!

As always

I am in love with the story.

Love it still

and I've updated the Appendices

Such fun

Milsy gets to play and get paid for it.

Being a free agent can be great, but there's something to be said for playing in the lab and letting someone else handle the boring stuff.

Just ask Rae.

Never a dull minute

Jamie Lee's picture

Senidet suggested a way to run wiring so they don't touch after watching the carpenter making new drawers for the kitchen. The varnish they use on the wires when making solenoids would work but would also fail over time. As would the wax Senidet suggested to poor into the channels if the palace reach the melting point of wax.

Eriana has learned she is not to be the next future queen but has asked Garia for help in learning how to calm her temper.

The leaders of Yod have made a big mistake in their attempt to kidnap or kill Garia. They've taken cities in their quest which has angered citizens of those cities. They've possibly angered the citizens of Yod as well and that alone will bite them in the tush.

The drums of war are beating because of Yod, which makes it necessary for everyone to become ready for what might come.

Milsy has toyed with a palace alarm, more for a signaling device to call someone to a specific location. Now that toy needs perfected in light of recent events. This time coin won't be a problem as the war chest will cover the costs. If Milsy or Senidet think further, they might see they could be creating an alarm clock, by adding contacts to the existing clocks.

Others have feelings too.

Yikes. I missed this when it came out.

WillowD's picture

On the plus side I get to read three new (to me) chapters at once of one of the best stories on BCTS. Yay!