Doorway to Amaru Meru - Complete story

Printer-friendly version

Doorway to Amaru Meru

Amaru.jpg

People say that dreams are your brain’s normal way of processing events in your life and making sense of an irrational and confusing array of stimulation throughout the day. I have dreams that work their way into the fabric of my subconscious making my waking hours sometimes more confusing than when I sleep. They hound me and instill a sense of disconnectedness from my daily life.

“Earth to Luke. Have you listened at all to what I’ve been telling you?”

I had one of those dreams last night and my mind was still unpacking it all. In my dream I was young. Very young. Two huge, bright objects poured their light through a white stone-trimmed archway. A handsome man and a beautiful woman came over to me and picked me up. They smoothed my long brunette hair and kissed my forehead. It all felt so real.

“I’m listening, Samantha. You were telling me about the red high heels you and Emily found at the mall.”

“Yes! Oh my God, they were fantastic. We were walking by the ice cream shop when I looked over and there they…”

I’ve always had a unique ability to absorb what was going on around me without paying much attention to it. It’s not that I wasn’t interested in what Samantha had to say, but after having one of my otherworldly dreams, I tended to withdraw some.

“…calling to me. When I looked at the price, I almost passed out…”

“Samantha, I’m sorry to interrupt. I’ve got to get to class.”

“We’re still on for tonight?”

“It’s mom’s birthday. I’m taking her out to dinner. I mentioned that to you earlier this week.”

Samantha pouted, and my heart went out to her. We had been dating for a year and sometimes I wasn’t quite sure what she expected of me. In many ways I felt trapped. Trapped in a relationship that everyone, including my mom, said was the greatest thing and that Samantha was a real catch. Trapped working my way through medical school to go to work as a doctor for the rest of my life. For some reason I just felt like this was the wrong career for me. Finally, I felt trapped in the culture and expected norms of society. None of it felt right to me, but maybe it was just me.

***

“Happy birthday, mom.” I held up a glass of red wine and she reciprocated with hers. “Is there anything you want for your birthday?”

“I want for nothing. Ever since you came into our lives almost twenty years ago, I couldn’t have been more blessed.”

“I wish dad were still with us.”

“He would have been so proud of the handsome, intelligent, young man that you’ve become. It hasn’t been easy since he went to be with the Lord, but I know it was all God’s will just as I know God has a plan for your life.”

“I had another dream last night.”

“It’s possible these dreams are actual memories from before you were found. You were old enough to have some memories from your early childhood.”

“How can they be? I’m always a young girl in them, and the landscape is nothing like anything here. It’s all so vivid and real even though none of it makes sense.”

“Then it could be demonic. I could have the church pray for you.”

“Mom, please don’t start. There’s nothing insidious about them. I shouldn’t have brought it up. This is your birthday.”

“The best gift you could ever give me is for you to be happy. It’s upsetting that these dreams bother you so much. Have you thought more about your future with Samantha?”

“She’s a beautiful woman, but I’m just not sure. Sometimes I think she cares more about things than me.”

“I’ve seen you struggle in your relationships, Luke. You’ll know when God puts the right one in your path.”

“Was it that way with you and dad?”

“Yes. We both met at a church missions festival and knew we were meant for each other. Just think, if we hadn’t married and gone to Peru to be missionaries, we would have never been able to adopt you. It all worked out for good.”

“Except that dad got sick.”

“Hush. It’s hard to accept that bad things happen to good people, but it’s even harder to believe we can expect any goodness in this sin-filled world at all. Your father was an exceptionally good and kind man. Please don’t blame God that he was taken from us.”

“I’m sorry. It seems like everything I say today is coming out wrong. I will always be thankful you both adopted me. There have never been more caring and wonderful parents. You gave so much and sacrificed everything for me.”

Mom laughed. “You see it as a sacrifice, and yet I see you as a miracle. We could never have children and we prayed and prayed. Then, one day, someone said they found a four-year-old boy at the Gate of the Gods. They asked if we could take care of you. You were always the perfect child. You learned English in just a few months and were the most beautiful and inquisitive boy we have ever known. Now look at you, all grown up, handsome as the day is long, and will finish your medical school next year. I couldn’t be more proud.”

Mom reached out her hand and grabbed mine. She closed her eyes and I knew what was coming. “Dear Lord, please show Luke that you love him and that all things work for good. Help him know what the right path is. Open the right doors so that he can see the destiny you have for him. Remind him that love conquers all and that the darkness can never take him.”

I felt a gentle squeeze of my hand and I wiped a tear that had slipped of its own accord down my cheek. “Thanks for always being there for me, mom.”

She reached out with her other hand and held mine loosely. “There’s still time enough for you to meet up with Samantha. Thank you for a lovely birthday dinner. I love you, Luke.”

“Maybe we can go see a movie?”

“The ladies are having a prayer meeting tonight and I promised I’d be there. Let’s get together this weekend. I’m sure your tired of your own cooking.”

“For sure. I love your cooking. I’ll see you Saturday.”

I watched mom leave. I struggled with her faith, but I couldn’t deny how well she handled dad’s death. I was thirteen when we moved to the United States from Peru. Dad’s illness caused them to leave the mission they felt called to be at. A year later he passed away. I had ten years with the man I knew as my dad.

It’s not that I have outright rejected my parents’ beliefs, but I’ve struggled with the concept of a benevolent and kind god when bad things happen.

I sat another minute before standing to leave. It was at that moment a thunderous crash shook the restaurant. I took several quick steps towards the door then paused. My instincts told me it was mom, but I fought that idea. I paused only a second as my legs propelled me forward and out the restaurant door.

I rushed forward and stopped. Mom’s car was in pieces. The engine bay, what was left of it, was on fire. A large semi-truck was up on the sidewalk and had knocked over a street light not more than a hundred feet away.

I was running again and reached the car. The door had been sheered away by the impact with the truck. My medical training kicked into high gear and my hands pressed tightly against the open arterial wounds. I knew enough not to move her.

I cried as I looked upon the face of my mom; a face covered in blood and glass. Her graying hair was matted and plastered to her face.

She reached up with a bloody hand and cupped my cheek as my tears flowed freely. “My beautiful boy…”

“Don’t speak, mom. Help is coming.”

“I’m in… the Lord’s hands. I’m at peace…”

“Mom don’t speak like that. You’re going to be all right.”

“You… never could lie… well. Tell the ladies… I… won’t be coming…”

“Mom! No! You can’t leave me!”

“I’m going home… to be with… your dad… I’ll see you again… one day… I… love… you…”

Her body relaxed in my arms and I knew she was gone. I crushed her to my chest and wept.

***

“It’s been weeks, Luke. You need to get on with your life. You can still catch up with your classes.”

I sat in silence across the table from Samantha. Mom’s death had me questioning everything. Her church had reached out to me. They brought food, which I could barely eat, they cleaned, and they prayed. When the time came for the funeral, the church was filled beyond capacity. My parents had been well loved and respected in the community. People adored them. The people’s faith was moving, but it was their good and kind acts over the weeks that touched me deeply.

I reached over the table and squeezed Samantha’s hand. “I’ve got a few more things to wrap up yet.”

Samantha looked at me with a mix of empathy and frustration. “Call me.”

“I will.”

***

I looked up at the bank and then down to the small key in my hand. Mom and dad never had much. They had worked tirelessly helping the people of Peru for years and when dad got sick, the medical bills used all their savings. They had rented their home and like the people they had always been, gave of everything they had to anyone in need. It seemed incongruent that they had a safety deposit box.

Upon entering the bank, I looked around until I spotted a lady that might be able to help me.

“I’m here to retrieve the contents of my mom’s safety deposit box.”

“You must be Luke Williams. We received the paperwork from the lawyer’s office this morning. I’m sorry for your loss.”

“Thank you.”

“Let me show you to the safe.”

We walked across the bank and through the heavy safe doors. The woman pointed out a box and I used the key to open it. Inside was another metal box that I slid out of the wall. I was then led to a small curtained room.

“Take your time.”

When the woman had left the room, I ran my fingers delicately over the metal box before opening it. Inside was a brown manila envelope. I didn’t know what I would expect to find but a plain envelope wasn’t something normally portrayed in the movies. I took the envelope out, left the room, and handed the box back to the lady.

I sat in my car and stared out the window a long time before driving home. When I got home, I waited a few minutes pondering the remnants of my life before reaching for the envelope. I emptied the contents onto the couch cushion next to me. There were five stacks of hundred-dollar bills, each stack amounting to two thousand dollars. I also discovered a handwritten letter and a necklace with a ring on it.

It wasn’t the money or the letter my fingers grasped first, but the necklace. I’d seen this before in my dreams. The metal beads were iridescent; not quite gold, but something similar with a slightly transparent look about it. The ring was far more impressive with ornate designs and a single large blue gemstone. I would call the gem a sapphire, but it was unique in its ability to refract light. That I’d seen it in my dreams felt somewhat validating, but it also generated many more questions.

My emotions had run high over the past weeks and I hesitated to bring even more to the surface by reading the letter. I did, however, pick it up and start to read. It was dated almost a year ago.

Luke, our beloved son. I write this to you on December 21, 2017, nineteen years to the day you were found and brought into our lives. I’ve thanked God for you every day of my life since. If you are reading this letter, then you know that I have gone to be with the Lord and with your dad. It was always my intention to give you this money and necklace when you graduated. Ten thousand dollars isn’t much, but we thought it would allow you to get a start in your life. I believe God will guide you in how you use it.

Even though we adopted you, we loved you as if you were our very own. To see you become such an honest, loving, young man, warms my heart. Sometimes, when I feel weak and miss your dad, I long for the days back in Peru when we were all together. Things were simpler there and I found much clarity for my thoughts.

I remember the day you were brought to us. Natives had found you at the carved opening of the Gate of the Gods. They recognized you weren’t native by the color of your skin, so they brought you to us. You were wearing the strangest clothing we had ever seen and around your neck was the necklace and ring. Obviously, this necklace belongs to you and maybe will help you find out more about yourself.

Now comes the hard part of the letter to write. I hope that when I left you I had the opportunity to tell you in person how much you meant to your dad and me. In case I didn’t get that chance, know that we loved you very much. You are the son any mother would have been proud of. You filled our lives with joy from the moment you came into our lives. You made us a family and I regret that I will not be there to hold your own children in my arms.

We will see you again for death is not the end.

I love you, Luke.

Holding back the tears was useless. The last person in my life that truly knew me, believed in me, and loved me, was gone. I fingered the ring and looked at the stack of money. I read and re-read the letter. What am I to do now?

I scanned the letter one more time and paused on one sentence. Glancing at the money, I picked up my phone.

***

Samantha sat across from me wearing a skintight red dress that accentuated her figure. Beauty was something Samantha certainly didn’t lack.

“A nice meal in a romantic restaurant… You’re up to something, Luke.”

Inwardly I winced as I held her gaze. I just need to get on with it. “I’m not going back to school this year. I’m taking some time off.”

“What? That will set you back an entire year.”

“I need clarity. Mom’s death has caused me to think about many things. I’m going to Peru for a few months.”

“Peru? Are you nuts? What about us?”

“It’s just for a few months, Samantha. I’ve got my whole life to live and I want to make sure I’m doing what I’m supposed to be doing.”

Samantha slammed her napkin down on the table. “You’re not thinking clearly, Luke. That’s to be expected after losing your mom. We had a plan. You would finish medical school, become a doctor, and we would get married. I’m telling you now that you just need to get back to school and everything will work itself out.”

“When did we make those plans?”

“We’ve been dating for a year, Luke. What’s a girl to think?”

“I apologize if I’ve misled you in any way, Samantha. I like you very much and don’t see my travel plans as something that should interfere with our relationship. Haven’t you ever questioned what life is all about? Haven’t you ever stopped to wonder if you’re making a difference in this world?”

“You’re going to be a doctor. How much more can anyone do to make a difference? No! I don’t ask myself these things.”

“I do, Samantha. Maybe I’ll find some answers where things all started for me.”

“It sounds to me like you’re running away. Your crazy parents finally sucked you into their cult.”

“That’s a terrible thing to say, Samantha. My parents were good, compassionate people. They gave of themselves sacrificially to anyone that needed help. I’m not sure why you’re making such a big deal out of this. Come with me.”

Samantha’s face scrunched up. “You want me to go to Peru? Do they even have cell phone coverage there? I don’t think so. You’re throwing away everything!”

I put some cash on the table to cover the bill and tip and stood. “I’m sorry you don’t see this as something that will ultimately help me solidify my future. I’m not the one throwing anything away. Goodbye, Samantha.”

“Don’t you walk away from me! We had a plan!”

I took a deep breath when I exited the restaurant. Maybe this would all blow over, but Samantha showed little empathy. If I was honest with myself, I didn’t see a future with someone as shallow of she was. It could still be me and my letting my dreams influence my feelings in the wrong way, but either way, I felt peace and I left with a renewed urgency to get to Peru.

***

It took a week for me to organize myself, speak to the university, shut down my apartment, sell some unneeded items, pack, and arrange my trip. I spent the last night at a hotel near the airport. That’s when Samantha called me for the first time since the restaurant.

“I’m sorry, Luke. I said things I didn’t mean. I was just upset and felt you were leaving me.”

“I’m heading to the airport tomorrow, Samantha. I’m glad you realize you said things that were hurtful. I hope we can remain friends and when I return maybe we can start fresh.”

“There’s no need to start fresh. Come over now. Move in with me and we can put this whole thing behind us. I love you, Luke.”

The last few words sounded like a desperate plea. I cared for Samantha, but our week apart had allowed me time to see Samantha for who she was. “If you truly love me then you’ll be here when I get back. Maybe the time apart will make us both realize what is most important in our lives.”

“I can’t believe you’re doing this to me. Don’t expect me to wait for you. You could have had it all. We’re done.”

The line went dead and moments later her status changed on her Facebook account.

“I wish I could talk to you, mom.”

***

It was a beautiful day. Twin suns reflected their light across the shimmering lake as I ran gleefully across a flowering meadow. Millions of flowers of blue, violet, and pink hues waved in the gentle breeze. Suddenly I was tackled from behind. My long brunette hair came out of my golden chain that had bound it back and drifted before my eyes as I laughed and giggled.

“I’ve got you now, Aila.”

The ever-present watchful eyes of my guardians carefully assessed our actions but didn’t intervene when I rolled over to stare into the piercing blue eyes of a young, but slightly older boy.

“I let you catch me this time, Sharian.”

Sharian laughed and picked a violet flower and placed it into my hair. I felt a heated rush come to my face. The symbolism of his act was startling and unheard of.

Moments later I was lifted from the ground and separated from the boy.

***

I jolted awake as the plane hit some turbulence. I swore I could still smell the flowers from my dream. This wasn’t the first time I had seen the boy in my dreams, but it was the first time I heard anyone speak. I was called Aila and his name was Sharian.

“I take it you had quite the dream.”

I glanced to an elderly woman sitting next to me. “I’m sorry if I disturbed you.”

She laughed. “You drooled all over my blouse and your snoring kept everyone awake.”

I could see it in her eyes that she was joking. “I’ve been told my snoring is like being immersed in a rose-petal infused bath while listening to Brahm’s Lullaby.”

That caused her to smile. “This is such a long boring flight. Where are you headed?”

“Near Lake Titicaca in Peru.”

“You’re adventuresome. What’s there for you?”

“I lived there for nine years. I thought it was time to go back for a while.”

“Are you single?”

I hope she wasn’t asking for herself.

She pulled out her phone. “I only ask as my daughter seems to be your age.”

“You’re trying to set me up with your daughter?”

“Arranged marriages are all the rage these days.”

“You just met me.”

“Any handsome guy that can talk about a rose-petal infused bath and Brahm’s Lullaby must have something going for him. I’m kidding, of course. Did you tell me if you were single?”

***

The conversation with the lady proved to be an excellent time killer and soon I was waiting to board the plane for my last leg of my journey to Juliaca near the shores of Lake Titicaca. The entire trip would be nearly twenty hours long. What little sleep I got was filled with strange and wonderful dreams. Each dream seemed to build upon the previous in terms of increasing my desire to come back to Peru.

My final flight felt short in comparison to the previous two. Stepping out of the airport at an altitude of over twelve thousand feet reminded me just how much I acclimated to far lower elevations. I recalled as a child never experiencing being out of breath while running around all day long. I couldn’t say that my fellow passengers were fairing nearly so well as I was.

I was very grateful to get into my room at the Taypikala Lago Hotel in Puno. I booked a room there for a week to allow myself to rest and get adjusted before deciding on something a little more rustic. Since the time zone was only one hour ahead, I only had to recuperate from the full day of travel.

***

I woke suddenly with the high intensity sun coming through my window. My dream had lingered into my wakefulness. This dream had been different. It repeated itself over and over. I saw flashes of a calendar date, December 21, 2018, then flickering images of the pink marble rock of the Gate of the Gods. This was followed by the first rays of sunlight and then everything repeated.

Having sat in cramped seats on planes for almost a full day, I was eager to stretch my legs and decided a hike was in order if for no other reason than to clear my head. Ever since I found the ring necklace in the safety deposit box, I had been wearing it and this morning was no exception. There was something special about it as it regularly appeared in my dreams. I pulled out my backpack, purchased some bottled water, and ate a meager breakfast before setting off.

I walked slowly southwest and up and away from the lake into the main part of the small village where the hotel was located. Not more than a half a mile from the hotel was the Templo De La Fertilidad. This is definitely not the place to visit if you had residual envy about the size of the parts between your legs. Stone erections were placed everywhere; on the temple roof, in trees, and row after row of them as markers that looked very much like a cemetery.

The village where I was staying offered few amenities other than churches and a living fish museum, so I decided to head north and after several hours of walking I reached the heart of the Puna district and main shopping area. This was where we used to come for our main supplies when I was living here, and I was happy to see that nothing had changed that much. Nothing that is except for me.

When I left Peru, I was thirteen and at the time I was as tall as most of the full-grown men here. The average height of men in Peru is under five-foot-five and since my departure, I had grown so that now, I was quite the anomaly being nearly ten inches taller. My skin was never quite the creamy white of my adoptive parents, but neither was it as dark as the Peruvians.

In some ways I was feeling slightly out of place, but the smells coming from the shops, the motorcycle taxis belching blue smoke in the air, and the plethora of small minivans roaming the streets in what could only be described as organized chaos felt like home. I loved the days when I could come into town and run from store to store finding all my favorite treats.

I spotted a store that looked familiar and stepped inside to rows of dulce de leche alfajores. These were cookies that had a caramel sauce squished between them. I ordered one and an Inca Kola, thankful my language skills were still excellent. I sat at a table and took through the window to the bustling city as I ate and drank more sugar that I knew I should.

The instant I bit into the cookie my mind drifted back to living here with my parents. Mom was right. Things were simpler here and that helped my mind to focus on what was most important. I could now see why my parents loved it here so much. The people were warm and caring, the food, a delectable mix of cultures, the altitude good for you heart and lungs, and the air was pure and clean as long as you were upwind of the cars.

The area was filled with interesting history and lore. It is said there are underwater ruins in the lake; ruins that rival the construction methods of the pyramids. This was also the home of the Incas.

I bought an extra alfajor and drink to go and checked the time. I was too late for a lake cruise and a calendar caught my eye. December 20. On one hand I wanted to tempt fate and on the other I felt compelled to find out exactly what my dreams were telling me. I was found not far from here, twenty years ago on the morning of Dec 21. If I came for clarity, then I needed to return to where it all began. I turned from the store to find a motorcycle rental.

After securing a motorcycle, I rode south for an hour, past my hotel and to the Gate of the Gods. The locals called it Puerto de Hayu Marka, the Doorway of the Amaru Meru in the Valley of the Spirits. After parking the motorcycle, I hiked up the short pathway to the stone gate making sure I memorized the trail for the next time I would come in the early morning hours before sunrise tomorrow.

The area itself was extremely scenic with spectacular thin ridges of pink stone that thrust upward from grassy hills. The formations reminded me of the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs and the vegetation was indicative of a typical high-altitude desert.

Approaching the gate, I could clearly see that it wasn’t a natural formation. The gate’s face of pink stone was perfectly flat with two large verticals cuts to outline the gate itself. The gate appeared as a square, roughly twenty feet vertical and horizontal, with a second cut into the stone that partially resembled the letter T. That smaller indentation in the rock just fit my height.

When you think of a gate, you think of something that you can see through. Not this gate. It was simply stone that had been carved away, no more than two feet deep into the solid surface of the rock face. There is no gate to pass through, it’s more of an alcove in the solid stone. I sat on one of the many stone benches that had been erected over time and tried to picture myself as a mere child twenty years ago. Someone had left me here.

I stood as dusk began to settle and placed my hand on the stone face. This place was not unlike many native American archeological sites. The unique geography was reason enough for the natives to believe the place was mystical and over generations they used the site for sacred rituals. There was nothing supernatural about this place. It was just carved stone amongst succulents in a beautiful setting.

Somewhat disillusioned, I walked back to the motorcycle and made my way to the hotel for the night.

***

I woke before my alarm. My dreams once again created an urgency for me to return to the Gate of the Gods by sunrise. Sunrise was just after six in the morning and it would take me all of forty minutes to ride the motorcycle and hike to the gate.

I grabbed my backpack, put on my necklace, and started my ride in the dark. By the time I got to the trailhead, the eastern sky was beginning to turn green with the nearing sunrise. After carefully making my way to the gate, I sat inside the stone cutout and waited for the sun.

Slowly the greens gave way to yellow and orange hues and I smiled. I wasn’t expecting anything, but the isolation and crisp morning high-altitude air was exhilarating.

The moment had come, and the first rays of sunlight made their way down the rockface above me. I stood and stepped back watching the light of the sun work its way lower and lower across the pink stone. Finally, the gate was fully lit, and I turned back to face the sun.

Twenty years ago, on this day, I was left here. I was all alone. Now, without my parents I’m once again all alone in this world. I wondered why this didn’t bother me.

A low hum began. I felt it in my feet as it passed up and through the rocks I stood on. I turned to face the gate. Light began appearing from inside the cracks of the rocks. The light crept inward until the entire inner gate was awash with blinding white light.

The urgency from my dreams was there once again. It drove me forward one step at a time. In a single act of defiance to whatever fate might be calling me to, I thrust out my hands to grab the edges of the stone to hold me back. My necklace slipped free from beneath my shirt. It stretched towards the light now no more than a few inches away from me. It pulled me towards the light with a force beyond anything I could describe. I tried to hold back, but my hands slipped free and I plunged through the gate.

I floated as light streamed all around me. My senses told me I was moving, but I felt no wind or resistance of any kind. I held out my hand in front of my face and my fingertips began dissolving before my eyes. I screamed as my body dissolved away but my voice was lost to me. Then the light vanished and there was nothing. No light, no sound.

***

How long I spent in the nothingness I have no idea for I had no form, no sensation. I knew I existed but that was all. Then, a single point of light appeared. It grew rapidly until all I could see was white light.

The next thing I knew, I was standing on something solid and falling forward. The white light receded, and I took a shaky breath. Slowly, all my senses came back to me. I was kneeling on something hard. My breathing became normal and rhythmic. I could feel my backpack on my back.

My eyes slowly opened to see polished stone tiles. Lifting my eyes upward, I saw the feet of dozens of people. I continued to lift my head until I focused on the face of one man that stepped forward from the crowd. It wasn’t a kind face, nor was it inherently evil, but his eyes were dark and penetrating.

“As the prophecies foretold, you’ve finally returned to us, Aila.”

“Aila?” My voice wasn’t my own and I felt a heated rush through my body. I was overwhelmed with dizziness and I slumped forward onto the tiles and descended into the solace of darkness.

***

My eyes fluttered open. I could see a beautiful violet flower resting delicately on white silky sheets next to my face. I thought perhaps I was in Peru and back at the hotel except that the flower looked like no flower I had ever seen before. The violet petals gently curved into iridescent, almost glowing yellows and gold at the center. It was beautiful, and the scent vaguely reminded me of something.

I lifted my head and looked around. The room was bright from sunlight coming through a window, but the walls were made of rough, dark stone. The floors were wood, and the furnishings constructed of strange materials. A wisp of long brunette hair floated before my eyes and I moved quickly to look behind me to find the source of it.

Rolling over in the bed, I found no one there, only more hair that pulled against my head and weight that shifted across my chest. I closed my eyes and breathed deeply wishing this dream would simply go away. When I opened them, everything was still the same. I reached for the hair and found it attached to my head. I stared at my hand that was slender and feminine before looking down to find two breasts partially hidden by thin, shiny, black fabric.

“This can’t be…” I pushed myself backwards and out of the bed even as I questioned my own voice; a voice that sounded silky, delicate, and smooth. My feet met with the cool wooden floors and I stood upright. Looking down past my breasts, I could see that the hem of the gown I was wearing stopped just below my knees.

“I’m a woman…” My hands moved to my face and slid through my long hair before descending to my breasts. They were full, heavy, and supple. My head moved quickly from side to side causing my hair to slide across my back. I was looking for anything that could tell me for certain I was dreaming, or perhaps dead. What caught my eye was a mirror in the corner of the room and I slowly made my way towards it.

My first view of myself caught me off guard for standing in the mirror was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. She was flawless, lean, and what she was wearing did little to hide her shapely body. I spun around expecting to see another woman in the room, but there was none and when I turned back to the mirror, the woman in the reflection did the same. She was me and I was her. I moved closer to examine my face. My eyes were turquois like the greenish blue of a tropical sea. They were stunningly vibrant. My lips were full and slid easily over perfect teeth.

Stepping back, I was more amazed at my beauty than frightened for the reflection of myself brought peace to my soul. My hair was gorgeous and fell to the middle of my back. It looked like highly polished mahogany.

I tore myself away from my reflection and was instantly fearful as the sound of a door opened behind me. A slightly older woman entered and closed the door behind her. She curtsied ever so slightly.

“I’m glad to see you’re finally awake, Priestess Aila. My name is Tayodh and I’m here to serve you. I must say, it’s a great honor to meet the legendary missing priestess. That you came through the Earth stargate is leading to much speculation about the prophecy.”

I recognized she wasn’t speaking English, but I understood it and responded in the same language. My fear dissipated slightly as I tried to absorb what she had said. I had so many questions.

“Why do you call me Priestess Aila?”

“Master Vikold told me you might not remember everything and would likely be confused. You were very young when you went missing just before the Great Culling. There is no mistaking your eyes, for every High Priestess has unique eyes and your image was cast throughout the worlds in an attempt to find you. You are indeed Aila of Yalshema, daughter of the Manu Priestess Feylen and Master Jannalor.”

“But why are you calling me priestess?”

“I mean no disrespect to you. You have not yet come of age so are only considered a priestess. Upon your tenth birthday, you will gather your magic and be sent on your quest to find your animal companion. Only when you return will your title be bestowed as High Priestess.”

“You’re a high priestess as well, Tayodh?”

She laughed. “Oh my! I’m of the Onal caste, Priestess Aila. There is only one High Priestess in all the worlds at any time. Our prophets have foretold your arrival. These are exciting days for we have been without a High Priestess for over ten years.”

“You said I come of age when I turn ten?”

“I can see your confusion, Priestess Aila. If you spent your missing years on Earth, then you would equate one of our years to roughly two and a half Earth years. We would need to confirm with the historians when to expect your birthday.”

“You mentioned prophecy several times, Tayodh. What prophecy?”

“I beg you to forgive me, Priestess Aila, but I’m forbidden to speak of the details of the prophecy. Master Vikold has decreed this. I see you have many questions, but I’ve been directed to bring you to the temple. I must get you ready.”

My confusion hadn’t ebbed. If all of this was real, then somehow, I was in a new world and now a woman. I glanced back at my reflection. What if this is real? What if my memories of being a young girl were real? What if…

“I have placed your things here, Priestess Aila.”

Tayodh touched a mark on the wall and the rough stones vanished. Beyond the stones was a small room with clothing. My pants, shirt, and backpack were there. My hand went to my neck and my ring necklace was no longer there.

“My necklace…”

“Master Vikold has it. He was afraid that until you come of age you can’t protect yourself or it. I’ve never seen the ring and necklace of the High Priestess before. It’s a priceless relic. I must say that you were wearing very strange clothing. Might I suggest this outfit? I’m sorry these clothes are not befitting your status. They were the best we could find for you.”

I walked over, fully aware of how my new body was moving. I tried my best to ignore the subtle movements. My fingers lingered on the finest fabric I had ever felt. “This will do fine, Tayodh.”

“Let me lay it out for you and I will give you some privacy to change.”

“Thank you.”

Tayodh tipped her head slightly to the side. “There’s no need to be thanking me, Priestess Aila, but you’re very welcome.”

“My mom would slap me upside the head if I wasn’t thankful.”

“Manu Priestess Feylen?”

“No… Someone back on Earth.”

“I’ve never been to Earth. There’s no magic there and the people are savage. It’s why we left.”

I had dozens of questions just for her last statements, but Tayodh quickly laid out the dress, curtsied, and slipped out of the room.

I looked over the dress absentmindedly. Perhaps this is a parallel universe and in this universe I’m Aila and on Earth I’m Luke. I just need to get back to Earth which means I must find the gate.

With somewhat renewed energy, I slipped out of the nightdress and took a moment to stare at myself in the mirror. Without the nightdress, it was very clear there was nothing left of my maleness. I did, however, find myself drawn to my reflection and yet not drawn to it in the same way I would have been on Earth as Luke. This mystified me.

Turning back to the dress ensemble I noticed there were knee-high black leather-like boots, something that resembled women’s black dance shorts, and the black dress which offered an asymmetrical cut exposing one thigh while covering the other. I slipped on the shorts and boots before putting on the dress. The dress had something to support my breasts and straps under the breasts snugged everything up well. The overall look was dark, sultry, and quite sexy in my opinion.

I wished I had more time to figure everything out, but it wasn’t long before Tayodh came back to escort me to Master Vikold. I wasn’t feeling overly confident in myself hoping that no one would see through the ruse that I was a male although even I was beginning to question myself on that. Had I really been born here and somehow sent through the gate to Earth some twenty years ago? If so, then perhaps I started out as a female and maybe, just maybe, that’s why I struggled in my relationships. Have I been unable to commit because I never felt quite secure with who I am?

I found myself torn. Torn between a chance to learn about another world or to go back to everything I knew. Perhaps I’m dead. If so, wouldn’t I see mom and dad as mom always said we would see each other again.

Tayodh led me through hallways and rooms until I began to wonder if I would ever find my way back to where my clothes and backpack were. Finally, we ascended a stone ramp and turned a corner to arrive at a large space with polished tile floors. What drew my immediate attention was the stone gate. It was carved far more elaborately than the one in Peru. Across the room from the gate, a small circular hole in the stone wall allowed the sun to cast a focused ray of light onto the floor. In a remote way, this reminded me of the ancient Mayan observatories.

“Welcome, Priestess Aila. I trust you have recovered from your passage between worlds?”

I recognized this man as the one I had seen the moment I came out of the gate.

“You have me at a disadvantage for we have not been formally introduced.”

“Ah, yes. I’m Master Vikold. I must say, you’re far more beautiful than your mother and she was quite breathtaking.”

“You knew her?”

He ignored my question and walked around me slowly. “We’ve been looking for you for many years. Perhaps you can enlighten me as to how you found yourself on Earth?”

“I have no knowledge of what transpired. Can you tell me how I can return?”

“Anxious to return so soon? Our hospitality isn’t to your liking? Eight years from now, on our summer solstice the sun from Earth and our suns will simultaneously power the gates from both ends. This will allow someone to pass back through.”

“Eight years?”

Vikold smiled but it wasn’t comforting. “Eight of our years.”

I felt a dark heaviness upon me. If he isn’t lying, then I’m stuck here and stuck as a woman.

“I’m sure this is disconcerting for you, but this is your true home. This is where you belong.”

Vikold stepped towards a wall and tapped his finger on a mark that closely resembled the one Tayodh used in the bedroom. An entire wall of stone vanished, and sunlight flooded the temple. I was transfixed by the sight of the world beyond the temple and I blindly followed Vikold out onto a large stone deck. Up until this moment I had questioned the possibility that this was all some elaborate hoax, however, before me left no doubt I wasn’t in Kansas, Peru, or Earth anymore.

What I saw took my breath away. Twin suns hovered high above the horizon. A giant lake glittered like sapphires in the distance. Between me and the water were miles of rolling meadows, forests, and jungle. Mountains with sharper peaks than the Rockies stretched towards the heavens like ghostly gray fingers coming up from the ground. Two moons, one emerald green that hung suspended behind the mountain peaks, and another that was red with swirling white gaseous clouds drifted ever so slowly over the jungles to my left. As I looked down, I could see the shape of the temple. I was standing close to the top of a pyramid of stone that rose up through the jungle canopy.

To my right, a dark, forbidding valley was guarded by huge faces carved out of the distant stone cliffs. Above the faces, strange serpent-like creatures flew while closer to the pyramid a myriad of colorful birds darted between the treetops.

Tayodh had silently came up behind me. “Welcome home, Priestess Aila. Welcome to Amaru Meru.”

“On Earth, the natives called the stone gate the Doorway to the Amaru Meru.”

Vikold stepped back in front of me. “We are the people of Amaru Meru. I’m certain you must have many questions and I’m a very busy man. I have two historians that will guide you and answer your questions. For your safety, you’re not to leave the sanctuary of this structure and the immediate vicinity.”

Vikold turned to where two people were waiting. “Asunru is from your home city of Yalshema. We found him a few years after the Great Culling and he has earned his place amongst us.”

A man with a cowl over his head took a step forward. He was tall, a good six inches taller than I was.

“I have also assigned Syette to assist you in your transition back to Amaru Meru.” I glanced at a pretty woman who merely offered a sly, sinister grin. “I will leave you in their capable hands.”

I watched Vikold leave. I felt lost as if I was stuck in an impossible dream. I’m a woman in a strange world. Had I arrived here as a man I would still be dealing with lack of understanding and little knowledge of customs and culture, but now I was dealing with that and a new body.

I stood in silence, not knowing what to do. Asunru turned to Syette. “I’m happy to start with the Priestess.”

Syette stepped in front of the man and hissed back at him. “I’ll not remind you of your place, Onal Asunru. The Priestess is mine.”

There was obvious tension between the two and I saw Asunru flex his fist before turning and stepping back into the shadows of the temple.

“What was that all about?”

Syette stepped up close to me. “You need to learn how things work around here. Onal’s are barely worth the food we feed them and Asunru isn’t truly one of us.”

“Onal… I’ve heard Tayodh say she was Onal. Vikold is Master, and my mother was Manu? These are roles?”

“Castes. Onals are the lowest order, the ones with the least magic. They typically work as servants and maintain magical devices created by higher castes. They don’t even have an animal companion. The next caste level is Senal. That’s what I am. The highest level is named differently for women and men. Women of that caste are called Manu which is the equivalent of Master for men. Then there is you.”

“Me?”

“You’re the next High Priestess. The High Priestess reigns over all. You would know these things had you not run away to that backwards planet.”

“I have no idea how I got to Earth. Perhaps my parents would know more. Are they still alive?”

She laughed and turned away. “They died in the Great Culling.”

“I think I’ve dreamed of them, but I can’t say I have memories of them.”

“They were angry and disobedient people that used your birth to garner favor in the realms and they sought to overthrow the interim leadership of the people. In the absence of a High Priestess, there is often conflict between the factions.”

This didn’t sit well with me. “Political factions?”

“Magic is what creates the factions. There is light magic and dark magic. Light magic users belong to the Twuilhe faction and dark magic users are Viangi. Asunru is Twuilhe.”

“Light and dark, good and evil. Even on Earth they have the same concepts.” I thought of mom before Syette’s angry voice caught me off guard.

“You understand nothing! Light magic is merely focused on creation and dark, destruction. Neither are good or evil. They are both equally needed and equally valued. You developed those archaic beliefs on Earth.”

I was getting a little defensive. “What do you know of Earth?”

“We’ve visited Earth for thousands of years. When we first arrived, the people were little more than beasts of burden. We put them to work, built civilizations, gave them culture and skills yet they hated and feared us for it.”

It was best to change topics as otherwise I might get myself into trouble. “Can you show me your magic?”

“Asunru!”

The hooded man came out from the shadows and stood near me.

“The Priestess wants a demonstration of magic. I think she deserves to see it.” She grabbed my hand and pulled it towards her. “Hold your hand still.”

“Don’t do this, Syette.” His voice was low and threatening.

She sneered at Asunru. Red light began dancing between her fingers and suddenly my hand blistered as if placed in a metal forge. I screamed in pain and fell to my knees. My fingers blackened, seared, and smoke drifted up from them. Moments later Asunru grabbed my burned hand with his and as white light danced between his fingers, my hand healed, and the pain slowly went away.

I forgot all about the fact I was a woman. I forgot I was a woman with nothing to combat magic. I forgot I was on another world and understood nothing. I lashed out with anger. Standing up, I slapped Syette before I could control myself.

She wiped her lip and looked at me with loathing. “Just as I suspected. You’ve been tainted by Earth. You’re no more than a savage yourself. You’re not worthy to become High Priestess.”

I watched in horror as red light danced over both of her hands.

“Enough!”

We all turned to see Vikold coming towards us.

“She struck me, Master Vikold. She deserves death.”

“Be gone with you, Syette. You couldn’t kill her if you tried.”

“Perhaps not, but she would burn.”

Syette turned and walked away.

“It was my fault. I asked for a demonstration of magic.”

“She could have burned a stick just as easily. I apologize, Priestess Aila. Not everyone is as pleased as I am that our future High Priestess is amongst us. Asunru. You will take over from here.”

“Yes, Master Vikold.”

Vikold left and Asunru waited until we were alone.

“I, for one, am very glad you have returned. I knew your parents.”

“You used the past tense. I’m to assume Syette wasn’t lying and they are truly dead?”

“Sadly.”

“What were they like?”

Asunru looked around cautiously. “We can’t speak of them here. It’s important you understand what is expected of you. In two days, you will have your tenth birthday.”

I was beginning to tire of everything. “This is when I get little sparkly lights on my fingers? Do people throw a party for me and we all eat cake and ice cream?” I immediately regretted saying this. “I’m sorry. I’m having a hard time processing everything.”

“I don’t judge you for this. Walk with me, Aila.”

Asunru was silent as he led me through the structure and back to my room. I felt awkward and more than a little frightened to be alone in a room with a man. I watched him closely as he slid off his hood.

I blinked several times making sure my vision was clear. There was no mistaking his eyes. They were the same as the boy from my dreams.

“Do I know you?”

He moved quickly over to me. “Shhh…” His voice was a mere whisper. “You don’t know me.”

“I do…”

“No… You’ve never met me before.”

“Sharian?”

“It’s not possible for you to remember. The spell should have removed everything.”

“It’s you… from my dreams. That was real?” I spun around and looked at the bed. Suddenly it came to me. The flower was the same kind that Sharian had placed in my hair. I reached for the flower and held it out. “I remember you.” I felt such joy and a rush of emotions.

He frowned. “What you’re experiencing isn’t a memory. They are fragments and residual echoes created when passing through the stargates.”

“No… I’m certain.” I was desperate. Before me was a tangible link to something I believed was real. “I need to know…”

Asunru, if that was his real name, seemed to struggle.

“In two days, you will reach your tenth birthday. When this happens, you will gather your magic, but be warned. As High Priestess you will possess both light and dark magic, but you will not have full strength until you find your animal companion. Eight days after that, you will ascend into the fullness of your heritage. It will take time for you fully learn your abilities. Be cautious of the darkness.”

He turned away and put his hood back up before quickly exiting the room. I desperately needed time to think, but I felt a connection to him. I rushed towards the door and opened it only to find he was no longer in sight.

I took this as a sign that I needed to regroup. Can I trust fragments of my dreams? My entire worldview had shattered. I went back to the room and grabbed my backpack. I pulled out an Inca Kola, the remaining aflajor cookie, and a plastic bottled water. They felt physical in my hands; tangible. They were evidence that I wasn’t dreaming or dead. I quickly searched through my old clothes pockets and found my wallet. My driver’s license was there with a picture of me and my name from Earth.

This can’t be a dream. It’s all too real. I pulled out mom’s letter and reread it. I was found at the Gate of the Gods wearing the ring necklace and very strange clothing. Other worlds exist. The Gate of the Gods, the Doorway to the Amaru Meru is truly a gateway. Someone had taken me from my parents here and sent me through the gate to Earth. The gate on Earth and the gate here only opened once every twenty years. The last time it opened, I was sent from here.

I put the Inca Kola, my wallet, letter, and water away and sat down on the bed. I held out the aflajor cookie and took a bite, closing my eyes as the sweet flavors erupted in my mouth. I must assume this is all real.

Looking down past my breasts to my exposed thigh, I took a deep breath to center myself. I need to learn and absorb as much as I possibly can. I can’t let this body… being a woman… interfere with doing what I need to do to survive. I glanced at my reflection in the mirror and shook my head. Easier said than done.

I finished the cookie and tore my eyes away from the mirror. I looked around the room and found a marker on a different wall. I touched it lightly and a section of wall vanished to reveal what could only be a bathroom. It seemed even on other worlds people still must take care of the basics. There was a bath, already filled with hot water, and something that resembled a toilet except that it had no tank and the seat was longer and narrower. A sink with a serpent’s head faucet continuously had water flowing from it. The faucet reminded me of stone serpent images from ancient civilizations on Earth.

Moving to the sink, I splashed warm water on my face and looked around for a towel. There were none, but I did find several more markers. I touched one by the sink and I felt a slight tingle on my face and hands and instantly they became dry.

When I stepped back into the bedroom, I found Tayodh waiting for me.

“Where is Asunru?”

“He left suddenly.”

“I apologize, Priestess Aila. I’m sure you have many questions, and therefore we had historians assigned to you.”

“Perhaps you could answer some of my questions?”

“I’m happy to assist you in any way I can.”

***

I spent the rest of the day with Tayodh and she helped me understand much of the day-to-day living activities I needed to know. The bigger questions, such as what was expected of me and trying to understand my place in this world, were to be left for Master Vikold or my assigned historians.

I felt I had done well for my first day and I was mentally exhausted by the time I went to bed. I found I was constantly having to refocus my thoughts away from my physical body to the task of learning. I did manage to eventually get some sleep and woke refreshed even though I was still disoriented. As hard as I tried to ignore being female, I found I was dwelling on the changes to my body. Each move, or slight breeze that caused my hair to blow in front of my eyes was enough to make me pause.

“Good morning, Priestess Aila. I see you have already dressed. I’m to bring you back to the temple.”

I had been itching to explore by myself, but such would not be the case. When we entered the temple, Master Vikold and Syette were there.

“I trust you’re adapting well, Priestess Aila?”

“Tayodh has been invaluable in assisting me understand the new environment.”

“Since we can’t seem to locate Asunru, I will be placing you back under Syette’s care. I’ve spoken with her and she is eager to prove to you that she means you no ill.”

Syette was hard to read this morning. She looked demure, but her eyes never strayed from me.

Vikold left and took Tayodh with him leaving me feeling quite concerned for my personal safety.

Syette came over to me, knelt at my feet, and held my hand to her forehead. “I must apologize for my actions yesterday, Priestess Aila. Master Vikold has explained that you’re not responsible for my parent’s deaths. You see, my parents were killed when your parents led the Twuilhe against the temporary ruling faction of the Viangi. I blamed you for it and your presence, your face that reminds me of your mother, surfaced many bitter emotions in me.”

Mom always taught me to be the forgiving type and Syette appeared contrite. “I accept your apology and offer my own for striking you. Perhaps we can start fresh?”

Syette rose to her feet but kept holding my hand in hers. “I would like that. Let me show you something.”

She led me to a large wall of smooth stones and held up one hand. Red light flickered on her fingers. At first, I tried to pull away, but she held me fast and waved her hand across the surface of the wall. Images began to appear. “I won’t hurt you, Priestess Aila. I have sworn an oath to Master Vikold that I would be your protector and guide. He told me that you would bring me peace.” Her hand gently squeezed mine. It felt rather intimate, but I was unsure of her motives and I found her touch confusingly comforting.

“Yesterday, Master Vikold suggested you couldn’t kill me. Why would he say that?”

“He is correct. The High Priestess is magically protected throughout their life. While you can be hurt, you can’t die from magically inflicted wounds. Most of our High Priestesses live very long and die of natural causes. I was wrong to cause you pain, but you must know I used the limit of my magic to do what I did to you because while you don’t manifest your magic, you still have some within you. Tomorrow, when you come of age, you will be far more powerful than I ever will be and yet you will still not be complete until you bind with your animal companion. Let me show you.”

The images on the wall shifted. I was watching a woman dressed in layers of golden fabric hold out her hand and raise a stone fifty times her size.

“What you’re seeing happened thousands of years ago on Earth. Our High Priestess travelled to Earth and used her magic to build cities of stone. Earth’s people believed we that came through the gate were gods for we brought with us our magic.”

I could see monuments of stone rising and statues being formed.

“We gave the people of Earth a foundation of technology. We built monuments to our animal companions and they, in turn, began worshipping creatures that resembled them. Our dragons became the Mayan serpents of stone, our birds became Egyptian gods.”

“Why didn’t you tell them the truth and steer them away from their false beliefs?”

“They hated us and instead of being thankful for all that we had done for them, they attacked.”

The images changed, and I saw the High Priestess sleeping in a room only to be murdered by men with spears and axes.

“Earth wasn’t ready for us and they killed our High Priestess. Knowing that we were mortal, they rebelled, and we chose to leave them to their destructive ways.”

The images shifted again. I saw wars and the people of Earth advance technologically. Then the pictures changed again. I saw angels, demons, werewolves, and vampires.

“I don’t understand what I’m seeing.”

“Periodically, we travelled back to Earth. We would send a pair, one Twuilhe and one Viangi to find people who might be open to learning more about us. Every time the people of Earth turned our people into deities and legends.”

“But angels and demons, werewolves and vampires?”

“Due to their creative magic, the Twuilhe came across as benevolent beings. They were worshiped as angels. The Viangi appeared more demonic in the eyes of the people from Earth. Some of our people could be construed as vampires as they thrive at night and their magic can control a victim through their bite and some of our animal companions look similar to Earthly wolves.”

“You’re saying Earth’s cultures and myths are a direct result of interactions with the Amaru Meru? There are vampires here?”

Syette smiled, and this time it seemed genuine. “Yes, but as to vampires that you might think of from Earth’s culture, our people are merely a subclass of the Viangi and they don’t drink blood. In light and dark magic there are those in both factions that develop subclasses. Those that form the lightest of the light magic and those that are the darkest of the dark magic. We call the dark subclass Nakco, controllers of souls.”

“Tell me about the animal companions.”

“The animals on Amaru Meru also have magic and they form a type of symbiotic relationship with their human companions. When you find yours, you will always feel connected to them and you can call them. Each animal type helps their human companion focus their magic.”

“What’s yours?”

I could see Syette concentrate for a moment. “I called her.”

Seconds later a bright red bird that appeared to have its tail feathers on fire flew in and landed on Syette’s shoulders.

“What is it?”

“Earth would call it a phoenix, but here it is a rare animal companion called a flametrill. She helps me specialize in fire magic.”

“Thus, my burnt hand. She’s beautiful. What kind of animal will I get?”

“I can’t say. It is different for every person, but a High Priestess can be aligned with almost any animal.”

“Yesterday you said that good and evil didn’t exist, that both light and dark magic were necessary. Help me understand.”

Syette continued to hold my hand and led me back outside onto the deck. “Look around you. What do you see?”

“Life. It’s everywhere.”

“For the plants to grow, what do they need?”

“Nutrients.”

“And where do those nutrients come from?”

“I think I understand where you are going with this. The death of a tree allows it to put its own nutrients back into the soil to help the new life grow. You’re talking about a circle of life. So, applying this to light and dark magic…”

“You can’t build a building without having the resources to build it. The very act of creation requires destruction. You can’t heal something that is healthy.”

I took a moment to ponder that. “The Great Culling. What was that?”

“Our last High Priestess died about eleven of our years ago. Her essence drifted until a new High priestess could be found. That was you, but you had to be born and reach your tenth birthday before you could draw magic unto yourself and become our High Priestess. Between High Priestesses, the factions alternate leadership of the people of Amaru Meru. This time, it fell to the Viangi but the Twuilhe wouldn’t accept this and they formed an army and attacked. They had hoped to take the Viangi off guard, but the Viangi fought back and defeated the Twuilhe uprising.”

“That uprising was led by my parents?”

“Yes. They claimed that by having you, they should be responsible for leading our people.”

“It’s not nice to hear that one’s parents were bad. Somehow I pictured them to be kind and caring.”

Syette turned away from me for a moment. “Tomorrow is your tenth birthday. In the morning you will be brought to the temple. It is normal for a High Priestess to absorb both light and dark magic, but they tend to draw more of the magic from the ruling faction.”

“You think I will have more dark magic then?”

“Almost guaranteed. I know it’s a lot to take in. I will take you back to your room, so you have time to prepare yourself. I suggest you take a bath and get to bed early.”

Syette walked me to my room and stepped inside with me. When I went to move towards the bed, she pulled me back.

“I hope after tomorrow you won’t forget about the lower classes like myself, Priestess Aila. I was wrong in how I treated you yesterday. I have been able to see beyond the subtle resemblance of you mother when I look at you. Before I never have the chance again, I wish to give you something.”

Syette leaned in and kissed me. My eyes opened wide at the slight heat, almost as if electricity danced along my lips. I was both appalled and intrigued. It neither felt wrong, nor right but it left me confused.

Syette pulled away with a slight smile. I saw red light flickering on her lips.

“Until tomorrow, Priestess Aila.”

When the door closed behind her, I nearly collapsed on the bed. I was so confused. When I closed my eyes, I saw the boy Sharian. He was Twuilhe. There was purity and kindness there. If my Earthly mom were in a faction, she would be Twuilhe. All my years I struggled with the concepts of good and evil. What if Syette is right? That good and evil are merely human constructs. I hate to admit it, but there is a lure to the darker magic.

***

I woke with the scent of a flower intruding upon my dreams. When I opened my eyes, there was a fresh violet flower resting next to me again. I made note to ask Syette what the meaning of the flower was. I got up quickly for I was anxious to start the day. I had decided to have my bath this morning and, in some small way, I was interested in seeing Syette for what had transpired yesterday was new and unique. Her kiss made me feel less alone.

When I left the bathing area, I saw a new outfit spread out on the bed. It was a shimmering gray gown. Once I had it on, I looked at myself in the mirror. Today I was much happier to see my reflection. There was something uniquely powerful about being a beautiful woman.

Tayodh came into my room.

“To think I will be here to witness your coming of age, Priestess Aila. It is a great honor. The gray dress symbolizes the hybrid nature of the High Priestess, being neither light or dark, Twuilhe or Viangi. You’re unique in that you’re both. Are you ready?”

“Yes… I think I am.”

Tayodh led me back to the temple. I was then told that each tile represents one day within the year and I was directed to stand on a specific tile. As the rays of the twin suns passed through the small hole, the light came closer and closer to me. Master Vikold and numerous people entered the temple. They were all dressed in black and chanting. In the dark recesses of the temple, I could see several men and women with dark eyes and light skin. They must be Nakco.

I looked around the room. Syette was there next to Master Vikold. She winked at me and smiled. The ray of sunlight moved steadily closer and just before it hit my tile, I saw movement at the side of the chanting crowd. It was Asunru. His cowl was off, and his eyes bored into mine with longing and compassion. In his hand was a violet flower. His mouth began to move, and I tried to concentrate on what he was saying. That’s when the ray of sunlight hit my tile and I screamed as pain tore through my body.

***

My screams echoed through the temple. I couldn’t breathe, and my back arched as my feet lifted off the ground. I stared in horror as black and white wisps of luminescent air swirled around me. I tried to breathe, and more pain erupted through my shaking body.

I’m dying.

“Focus on me, Aila.”

I could hear Asunru’s voice in my head as the black air closed in on me. I managed to open my eyes and I sought out Asunru. Through the blackness that swirled about me, I found him. His eyes radiated warmth. As I concentrated on him, the air began to change. More white air slid in with the dark.

When I thought my lungs could no longer bear it, I screamed again, and the white and black air rushed inside of me. It filled me completely. I felt the magic. There was light and darkness, creation and destruction, Twuilhe and Viagni.

I began regaining some control and I looked down towards my hands. Light of all colors danced across my fingertips. Slowly, I was lowered to the ground as the swirling air dissipated. I gazed around the room and I could no longer find Asunru. There was some fear and more than a little awe on the faces of those around me, yet probably no more than on my own at the experience.

Master Vikold stepped forward and tipped his head. He seemed a little angry at first, but he smiled and held out my necklace which I grateful took and placed around my neck.

“May I be the first to greet you, High Priestess Aila. There is still more to do before your ascension and to you receiving your full powers and title, but know we are here for you and will help guide you on your next steps.”

“Will the guidance be as lacking as to what I was to go through this morning? For I have never felt such tremendous pain.”

“No one can fully prepare you for receiving your magic and the experience is unique for each person. Your experience is not uncommon for a High Priestess. This temple is a sacred place and it allowed you to absorb what you needed within the safety and control of your people.” He handed me a wooden stick. “As is customary, the new High Priestess must choose their primary faction. Concentrate on the stick and let your heart guide you. Light, darkness, life, death, it is your choice.”

I held out the stick in my hand and glanced around the room once again. Syette smiled and I caught the slightest hint of red light floating across her lips. My hands followed suit and soon red light began moving between my fingers. The stick burst into flames and in the light of the fire I could see Master Vikold’s smile.

Then, just as the fire began, it died and white light came forth from my fingers. The burned scars on the stick faded and vibrant green leaves erupted. Seeing the stick burst into life gave me joy and as the scent of a violet flower came to mind, flowers appeared on the stick like a bouquet. It was the most exhilarating thing I’ve ever felt. To feel within me the ability to destroy and create.

Vikold took the stick from my hand and looked at it angrily before throwing it off to the side. “The results are inconclusive. Your quest to find your animal companion will establish your primary faction.”

Syette frowned. “But she chose dark magic first.”

Vikold turned quickly to the crowd. “You will leave us. All except for Syette.”

Once everyone had left the temple, Vikold paced back and forth. “I should have prepared you better, High Priestess Aila. The Great Culling was a failure on all our parts. Many people were killed. Because the Twuilhe faction rebelled and attacked us, the remaining people of Amaru Meru fear the outcome of your primary choice. The people believe the High Priestess should be Viagni to show the worlds you are not in favor of the violent Twuilhe and that we’re united. There are two prophecies regarding you. The first is that you will unite us all, the second, that you will utterly destroy one of the factions. It’s my belief that your choice will set one of the two prophecies into motion. I leave you in Syette’s hands to prepare for your quest to find your animal companion.”

“What of Asunru?”

Syette frowned.

Vikold turned and walked away. “He has not been seen for several days, High Priestess Aila.”

Syette reached for my hand and I felt unsure and pulled mine slightly away.

“You reject me now that you’re High Priestess?”

“No… It’s just that I thought…” I shouldn’t say any more. “I’m pleased to have you as my guide in this next step.”

Syette smiled and took my hand to lead me back out to the deck overlooking the land. When we got outside, she pointed towards the valley guarded by two giant stone faces. “The faces of light and dark guard the entrance to our most sacred valley, the Valley of the Chosen. In three days, you must travel alone deep into that valley. There you will be confronted by the creatures and minions that reside there. You will be tested, and you will use your magic to fight until your chosen companion animal yields to you. When you return, you will present your companion animal and five days later, your title will be magically assigned through enlightenment. Eight days after that, you will be fully ascended to the role of High Priestess.”

“Are there meanings to the days? It seems like my milestone events are following a pattern. I arrive on the first day, then two days later I gather my magic. Three days after that I must start my quest and five days later I’m magically assigned my role.”

“You’re correct, High Priestess Aila. Creation follows patterns and mathematical sequences are the foundations of all life. It is our tradition to reflect these patterns in our various rituals.”

“On Earth this pattern is called a Fibonacci sequence.”

“These patterns are in all life.” She held up my hand and gently stroked my fingers. “From the tip of your finger to the first knuckle is one segment in length. To the second knuckle, is two, and to the third is three, and fourth at your wrist is five.” She reached up and touched my face. “Even the placement of your eyes, nose, and…” Her fingertips brushed my lips and I could feel her fire magic tingling them. It was a slightly arousing feeling. “…lips are mathematically proportioned.”

I turned away knowing I was blushing.

“When I first saw you choose dark magic, fire magic, it greatly pleased me, High Priestess Aila.”

My heart was beating faster than it should until my eyes alighted upon the stick still full of violet flowers. My breathing normalized, and I felt at peace. There was no question I felt drawn to Syette. The way she was responding to me was better than Samantha ever did. It was alluring but I struggled with it. My mind told me I was still male, but my heart knew otherwise.

Now feeling back in control of my emotions, I turned back to Syette. “How do I prepare for my quest?”

***

Syette had spent countless hours with me over the past day training me in how I could use my magic. I felt an urgency within my spirit that the results of my quest to find my animal companion would be crucial for determining my future. This urgency helped me focus on the task at hand rather then being pulled into an emotional web or continuing to focus on my new body.

I had noticed that Syette had increased her flirtation with me but, if anything, I felt myself slowly pulling away. Perhaps it was the violet flowers that I found on my pillow each morning. Maybe it was my dreams that had returned with greater vibrancy and realism than ever before; dreams of Sharian.

I thought back to my life on Earth and how I felt trapped. Knowing what I have already learned, I felt foolish for all the years I spent in school training for a career that I was never destined for. I thought a lot about Samantha and now that I was a woman I could understand more of her motivation. Ever since my arrival here, I had felt insecure. While Samantha had been self-absorbed, deep down I believe she was looking for security in the form of a husband and good provider.

Syette, on the other hand, seemed overly aggressive. Her presence continued to stymie me. She seemed eager to touch me and she often used her magic to enhance the feeling of her touch. When I dreamed, however, I dreamed of Sharian.

Tayodh entered my room and curtsied to me. “Please excuse me, High Priestess Aila. Syette informed me that she will take you outside today. Might I suggest an outfit for you that would be most suitable for time in the jungle?”

“That would be wonderful, Tayodh. Thank you.”

Tayodh’s smile was infectious. She pulled out clothing that would be closer fitting, and the dress had much less length to it. To me this appeared more like a short skirt and I would have more skin showing than ever before. I had become accustomed to the feeling of the dresses and I began to enjoy trying on each new outfit.

Tayodh smoothed out the dress on the bed and picked up the violet flower that was on my pillow. “You have a lover, High Priestess Aila?”

“A lover? Not that I’m aware of.”

“This specific flower is a symbol of eternal love. It is often given to the person someone intends to marry.”

“I’ve had one on my pillow every morning since I first arrived.”

“A secret lover then.”

I frowned. “I think I would rather they just come speak with me. It’s a little frightening to think someone is coming into my room every night while I sleep.”

“Oh… That’s not likely. Can you imagine waking a High Priestess up and startling her? They’d be nothing but ash. I think they’re sending you the flowers by magic. Of course, that would require a Master or Manu caste to do such a thing.”

“That makes me feel a little better.”

“Any idea on who it might be?”

“I only really know you, Master Vikold, and Syette. I don’t think Master Vikold would do such a thing. He doesn’t seem to be the attentive type. That just leaves you and Syette.”

“As beautiful as you are, High Priestess Aila, I’m already married to a man.”

“And Syette hated me at first, so I would rule her out. Plus, she isn’t Manu, so she would have to place them here physically.”

“You need to be seeking a Twuilhe, not Viangi. This is light magic at work.”

“Thank you, Tayodh. I’ll get changed and meet Syette in the temple.”

“You’re very welcome.”

***

I changed into the new outfit and checked myself out in the mirror. I loved the way the short skirt looked on me and I turned from side to side to get different views. What I had felt at first was a difficult challenge to be a woman, I now loved everything about my new body. I still felt vulnerable around men but having witnessed the power I had at my fingertips it made me more confident.

What remained confusing was that I wasn’t looking upon myself with the same eyes that I used to. Even Syette, with her dark, sultry looks was slowly becoming less arousing to me. I realized that was partly why I was distancing myself from her. I wished Asunru was around that I could test my theories. Was I truly becoming attracted to men?

I was both anxious and nervous to head outside. Growing up, I spent a lot of time outside and took every opportunity to camp and hike, so I was familiar with the outdoors; the outdoors on Earth. Syette had spent some time filling me in on the various types of animals I might encounter but I had no idea what plants to avoid and what hidden dangers lurked here.

I met Syette and she immediately took my hand and pulled me down through the structure. When we reached the bottom floor, she touched a mark and the stone wall vanished. From this point I could see three wide trails that angled off into the dense foliage. One, headed what I considered west towards the lake, one directly north towards the Valley of the Chosen, and a third that went in an easterly direction.

“Try to pay attention, High Priestess Aila. While I have no doubt you can protect yourself, you must always remain alert.” Syette pointed to the middle trail. “This is the trail you will take tomorrow. I’ll lead for now, then you can lead coming back.”

Syette let go of my hand and quickly vanished up the trail. I followed at a quick pace, but it was clear she had left me behind and was nowhere to be found. I continued to move ahead hoping I would catch up while at the same time I was constantly scanning the wide variety of plants and small animals I was seeing.

I moved along the trail until I came to a creek crossing. The creek was of moderate size, but the edge of the trail was the top of a short five-foot drop into a pool of water below. I considered turning around when I was tackled from behind and sent flying over the edge into the pool below. I sputtered as I came up to find Syette laughing and swimming slowly around me.

“You must be careful, High Priestess Aila. Wild beasts can lurk in the jungle and pounce on you from behind; beasts that might choose to take advantage of you.”

I wasn’t so sure I liked this part of the training. I loved swimming and the water, but Syette had taken me by surprise by my lack of awareness.

Syette pressed herself against me and tried to kiss me, but I turned my face away and swam for the shore. At first, she was angry with me then her countenance softened. “I’m sorry, High Priestess Aila. I must have startled you and you’re unhappy with me. I beg your forgiveness.”

She stood and held out her hand. I hesitated to take it but thought better of it and took her hand in mine. Syette reacted quickly and pulled me towards her so that we fell into the soft grasses at the edge of the pond. I sprawled on top of her and in a quick move, Syette rolled us over with me pinned beneath her.

She pressed her lips against mine with much intensity, but this time her magic hurt me. Using a combination of magic and physical strength, I sent electrical shocks through her and pushed her body away from mine. I used just a small amount of magic, but the effect was profound for Syette flew back and landed spasming in the grass some ten feet from me. I immediately felt badly and reached out to grasp her wrist with healing magic to help her recover.

Her eyes went wide before turning dark and yanking her wrist away from my touch. “You dare spurn me! You’re nothing but the spawn of traitors to the Amaru Meru! I should have killed you before you gained your magic and spared the worlds. Watch your back, Aila, for it presents an excellent target.”

Syette scrambled up the bank and back to the trail before taking one last hateful look at me. She ran off towards the temple structure.

I sat back down feeling rather dazed by the whole encounter. I had so little knowledge about this place and the culture. Could I have breached some societal norms or led Syette to believe that I was attracted to her. Granted, at first there was an element of sinful seduction, but I attributed this to my sexual confusion and the need to feel wanted, secure, and loved.

I was very tempted to not go back but I realized I had little knowledge of the land and I wasn’t prepared for an extended journey. I stood and made my way back up to the trail. I paused a moment and considered the feeling of freedom before realizing I would probably fair better being dropped off in Antarctica. Turning back towards the temple structure, I walked at a slow and deliberate pace so that I could take in my surroundings.

I had almost made it back when half a dozen people led by Master Vikold found me on the trail.

“I’m glad you’re safe, High Priestess Aila. When you didn’t return in a timely fashion, we decided to come find you.”

“I’m grateful for your concern, but as you can see I’m perfectly fine.”

“Syette informed me that you attacked her.”

“Did she also tell you that she tackled me off a waterfall then pinned me to the ground to take advantage of me? Did she inform you that after I repelled her attack, I healed her to make sure she was all right?”

“She failed to mention those things.”

“I’m sorry if I somehow led her on, but I have no romantic feelings towards her. I thought she was merely being friendly and I’m ignorant of the customs here.”

“The good news is that you’re unharmed.”

“I will take this experience to heart. If nothing else, Syette taught me a valuable lesson to be on my guard out here. Perhaps I could use someone to teach me social customs.”

“There will be time enough for that after you find your animal companion. Let’s get you back so you can be well rested for tomorrow.”

***

I woke early and found a similar outfit to the one that I wore the previous day. Tayodh had brought me a pack filled with supplies. Other than that, I was ready to go. Syette had yet to show herself and for that I was grateful.

I found another flower and considering I had magically locked the door after Syette’s threat, I was led to believe my secret admirer had to be someone that I had never met. The obvious choice would have been Asunru, however Syette stated he was of the Onal caste and wouldn’t be capable of such a feat.

There was little pomp or ceremony to my departure other than Master Vikold deciding I should not risk the necklace and I should leave it in his protection. Since he had given it back to me once before, I thought little of it.

The hike to the entrance of the sacred valley would take several hours and once past the creek where Syette had tackled me, I was in new territory. Knowing the magic I had at my fingertips I wasn’t too frightened, but the images I had been shown of potential animal companions resembling lions, wolves, and even large fanged birds left me skittish and slightly jumpy at every sound and rattle of a bush.

I had travelled several miles by my own estimation when I began noticing smaller statues of faces on either side of the trail. When I suggest they were small, they were in comparison to the ones carved on the cliff faces, but these vaguely reminded me of Easter Island.

The further I travelled, the more monuments and statues I encountered. When I rounded a bend, I saw a stone bench with a single violet flower on it and a letter. I looked around suspiciously but found no evidence anyone was near.

Hoping the letter contained the answer to my so-called secret admirer, I sat down and read.

Aila,

Today you embark on your quest to find your companion animal. I’m sorry I can’t be with you to guide you through this important milestone towards your final ascension. I have no idea what you’ve been told but know that your choice could possibly mean the end of one of the factions and with it the lives of millions of people.

Don’t worry about what animal companion you should choose as the right one will choose you. You have the ability and power to make any animal yield to you but understand the right animal companion will not hesitate to challenge you. Even though you may feel threatened at times, you must wait for them to attack first.

You have no reason to accept what I have written here as anything other than hearsay. For many reasons your return to Amaru Meru was not as it should have been and those around you are attempting to manipulate you. Trust your heart.

I reread the letter before using my magic to burn it to dust. I was both frustrated and intrigued. Why offer me hints and tell me I was being manipulated without explaining more? Other than Syette’s odd behavior, I’ve been given no reason not to trust Master Vikold, however, I admit that my lack of understanding of this world could easily lead me to being misled. The questions that come to mind are why manipulate me at all and who is the one doing the manipulation?

I stood and looked back down at the flower with a mixture of frustration and wonder. The extraordinary violet flower spoke to me and I hated to leave it there. Picking it up, I put it into my hair and continued along the trail.

***

After another hour of walking, the jungle opened as I approached the mouth of the Valley of the Chosen. A slowly meandering river of crystal-clear water exited the valley between the massive carved faces. Looking up from where I was standing, I could barely make out the tops of the cliffs. Beneath the eastern carved face, a small boat was tied to a stone dock.

I made my way to the dock and ran my hands over the intricately carved gunwales of the boat. They appeared to be made of ivory and the hull of the boat seemed to be formed of a single enormous leaf. For all the magic and technology, I marveled at the simplicity of design.

I looked up the valley and river and the sheer cliffs made walking from here impossible. I stepped into the boat, released the rope, and sat down on the single seat. At the stern I saw a magical mark and I touched it lightly. Since there were no paddles, I expected this mark to propel the craft forward and wasn’t too surprised when it moved on its own accord into the current.

The little boat had no rudder, but it headed upriver between the carved cliff faces as if it knew exactly where it was going. I took the opportunity to eat and drink while I passed through the steep canyon. Periodically, I looked up as the sounds of deep bellowing roars of dragons flying far overhead gave me concern.

As I rounded a bend, I could see what appeared to be a temple carved out of the cliff face. There was no obvious path to it for from the water to the first ledge of the temple was nearly five-hundred feet of slick, smooth stone. Dozens of dragons flew and circled the temple. I was surprised that the deep bellowing roars came from dragons that were, in my estimation, quite small. Most were not any larger than I was. That was until I spotted one golden-skinned dragon perched high above the others. Even from this distance I felt its eyes following me up the river. I was a snack, a mere morsel to such a creature and I was pleased the boat turned a corner putting the dragons and the temple out of sight.

Slowly, over the next hour, the valley walls became less harsh and steep and the jungle plants began to take hold along the river’s edge. After another bend, the valley flattened out even more and the boat docked itself on the far side of the river.

I stood on the stone dock and stretched. Before the situation with Syette yesterday, she had managed to describe the trail for me. From here I must hike another two hours until I come to a large circular platform carved out of the stone. I was to light a fire in the center of the platform and, in her words, survive the night.

I shook my head and felt my long hair slide over my back. It was less than a week ago that I was a man in Peru. I had been completely oblivious to this world that seemed more like fantasy fiction than reality. I slid my hands down my lean hourglass figure before holding one hand up and causing my magic to flit across my fingertips in colorful bands of light. No one would ever believe this back on Earth.

I began walking along the jungle trail and quickly established that there was far more wildlife here than near the temple structure where my bedroom was. Birds of all colors and sizes darted back and forth across the trail and I could sense large predators paralleling my path as they made their way through the dense underbrush. Occasionally, something very large would rustle a bush.

To keep my fear under control, I concentrated on the path and thought about the mysterious letter. If what was written was true, then the animals wouldn’t attack me unless it was to be my animal companion. That was all except for the one that would be. The little birds and animals weren’t the ones that concerned me, it was the larger ones with talons, fangs, and might normally hunt people for breakfast.

It was dusk when I finally came to the platform. I hadn’t realized it, but I had been steadily climbing in elevation and from the edge of the platform, I could see the river several hundred feet below me. The stone platform appeared to be carved from a single massive rocky outcropping. The diameter was roughly one hundred feet and the stone surface was carved with intricate whorls and patterns that led one’s eye towards the center.

To the back of the platform and away from the edge that fell towards the river, a vertical cliff rose several hundred feet and the far side from the trail gave a breathtaking view of a smaller tributary that cascaded down a series of stone steps. I noted the trail ended here.

I stood on the edge and watched as the red swirling moon drifted lower towards the horizon. Soon it would be dark and there would be no moons tonight to light the night. I took it all in and didn’t have to imagine myself in an Isaac Asimov story. I was here, living on another planet.

Darkness fell quickly and still I hesitated in lighting the fire. This was the first chance I had to look up into the night sky. As the stars burst forth, I wondered which one might be the one that Earth orbited. Somewhere out there in the vastness of space I had lived another life. A life that seemed more like a dream to me lately.

Moving to the center of the platform, I stretched out my hand and lit the wood in the recessed center. I wondered who might have prepared the wood for this event. Perhaps this all tied into the magic of the Amaru Meru and these rituals took care of themselves in a grander cycle beyond my comprehension.

I sat close to the fire with my back towards the cliff face and partially towards the waterfall. This, in my opinion, would reduce the numbers of creatures from coming up behind me. Syette told me the lighting of the fire symbolized my readiness to the creatures of Amaru Meru. To me it was a beacon. I’m here… come eat me.

It wasn’t long before I had my first animal visitors. Small birds flew in and landed on the stone near my feet. They watched me carefully before flying off. I was amazed by the dazzling array of colors and shapes of the inquisitive little creatures.

Shortly after the small birds arrived and left, small land animals scurried up towards me. Some looked a little more lethal and even hissed at me, but most reminded me of squirrels and weasels. At one point there must have been a dozen little furry animals and birds around the fire and I was vaguely reminded of Snow White.

As the night progressed it was as if the more dangerous and larger creatures crept from their lairs. It was getting more and more difficult to sit peacefully and several times I felt my magic rise within me defensively.

A large blue serpent slithered into the firelight to my left; its scales seemingly luminescent. I stayed perfectly still as it moved close to my foot, raised itself up, and barred fangs that were close to four inches in length. I was preparing for it to attack, when it turned its head away and vanished quickly. I breathed a sigh of relief until I discovered why it left.

I could hear something large moving at the edge of the platform, but the fire kept me from seeing what exactly it was. It slowly circled but turned back just as I caught a glimpse of coarse, bristling fur. I could hear its low rumbling breath.

This felt like the worst horror movie ever to me. Some savage creature paced nearby. At times I swore I could hear its claws scratch the stone surface of the platform. I caught only glimpses and it wasn’t going away like the others.

Minutes passed, and I doubted I even breathed when slowly, a beastly face appeared directly across from me. Its green eyes glinted in the firelight, its rows of fangs dripped saliva. It was neither wolf nor lion but looked like a hybrid of both.

It took a step towards me and I could now see the massive rise of its shoulder and thickly muscled body. I tensed as magic began dancing across my fingers. With a roar that shook the jungle, it leapt for me. I rolled to the side just as a huge wind blew me to the ground. In mid air the massive beast was snatched from the sky by a single set of claws.

I stared up into the night sky to find the stars had vanished and then suddenly reappeared as something even more enormous flew by. I made my way back to the safety of the fire. The jungle had gone silent. I waited; my ears straining, my eyes darting back and forth.

Then I felt it. The ground I stood on shook and the darkness receded as a massive stream of fire erupted from the edge of the platform. In the glow of the fire I could see golden scales and when the blast of fire stopped, and my eyes adjusted once again, the head of a dragon slipped from the darkness as it turned its yellow eyes on me.

***

I was beyond frightened. The beast that had leapt towards me over the fire was one I was positive could have easily shredded me into tiny bits. Now, as the dragon’s head passed unharmed through the flames of my fire, I knew no amount of magic could harm this creature. I was doomed.

There was no use running, and no use fighting. I stood as tall as I could and hoped my fear didn’t show. The dragon moved its head within inches of me. One snap of the massive jaws would sever me two. One blast of fire and I would be no more than ash.

I willed my magic quiet as I stood my ground. I sensed his great age, wisdom, and intellect. “I know you could end my life if you chose to do so. I’m not your enemy and I won’t try to harm you.”

The dragon inhaled deeply causing my hair to whip towards him as if a small gale had suddenly come up behind me. I waited for a blast of fire that never came. I reached out with my hand and touched the side of his golden-scaled cheek.

Sparks sizzled between us at my touch and I felt the dragon flinch. I felt his magic and it was powerful. It wasn’t the same kind of magic as my own.

“I am Beor.”

The voice sounded clearly in my head and I responded in kind.

“I’m Aila.”

The dragon shifted so that a single eye could focus on mine.

“No dragon has ever bound themselves to a human before. Dragons are the physical manifestations of magic, but the world of Amaru Meru is on a precipice.”

“Why do you speak with me, Beor, and what is this precipice?”

“You are the key, Aila. Your choices will determine the fate of the world, the fate of magic, and the fate of dragons.”

“Then would it not be best to kill me so that I couldn’t make the wrong decisions?”

“If I kill you then the world will end anyways for in the absence of a High Priestess, the human factions will go to war. The end of one faction will mean the end of everything, for balance must be kept.”

“Tell me what I must do to prevent this.”

“Had the quokka and you bonded as companions you would had fallen too far into dark magic to recover.”

“The beast that you stopped from attacking me? It was a dark magic beast? Is that what a quokka is?”

“Yes.”

“Why is it wrong for me to have too much dark magic?”

“As High Priestess, you have far greater magic than any other human. Too much light or dark magic will corrupt you and you already gathered far more dark magic than light during your coming of age. Dark magic attracts dark magic beasts and having such a beast for a companion would have vastly increased your dark magic and caused you to fall into darkness. Your gathering was not as it should have been.”

“I don’t understand. I thought both dark and light magic are needed. Creation and destruction.”

“You are correct, Aila, however darkness leads to evil and control.”

I almost turned away. Good and evil. Am I really having this conversation with a dragon?

“I thought evil was a construct that man has made.”

“No, Aila. Good and evil have always existed in all of us. It is not a construct, it is a reality. You know this. It was a part of creation.”

“Vikhold has been trying to get me to choose darkness. Why?”

“He who controls the High Priestess controls their destiny. If you fell into darkness, you and your power could be controlled by him or others.”

“What must I do?”

“As long as you live, you are bound to make choices. There is nothing you can do to avoid this. I will bind myself to you as your companion to protect you from binding yourself to a dark animal and falling into darkness.”

“If I were to bind myself to you, what will happen to me?”

“Your magic, both light and dark will grow in power. You will also gain dragon magic.”

“How do we bind ourselves?”

“Through blood.”

***

It was dawn by the time Beor and I completed our ceremony of binding ourselves by blood. It was both painful and exhilarating yet, when all was done, I knew it had been the right choice.

“Our magic is bound together, Aila. Our fates sealed.”

I reached my hand to rest it on the flank of the giant golden dragon as we stood side by side on the stone platform overlooking the river below. We were one and the same now. Not like lovers or friends, but something else. Companions that could never harm or separate themselves from the other.

“I can feel it, Beor. Thank you for keeping me from making a bad decision and descending into darkness.”

“Your Earthly mother would be proud of you.”

That Beor knew about my Earthly mother was part of the binding process. We had opened ourselves to the other and while he knew me, I also felt in touch with his ageless knowledge.

“I feel a need to meet the Twuilhe. I’ve been exposed to the Viangi for too long. Balance is needed.”

“I will take you wherever you like.”

“I’m not ready to face the Twuilhe just yet and need time to myself to contemplate all that has transpired. Can I get to the Twuilhe from the valley entrance?”

“Yes. Simply follow the river to the lake.”

***

It had felt natural climbing onto Beor’s neck and flying with him. What had taken hours of hiking and being in a boat before had only taken minutes and soon Beor had deposited me on the river bank and flown back off to join his kind.

I had thought I would feel bereft without his absence, but the binding, the connection we shared was tangible even though he wasn’t next to me. Now, as I looked towards the path that would lead me back towards the temple, I felt no fear for my magic had grown immeasurably.

Turning away from that path, I began following the river and I hadn’t travelled far when a man in a hooded cowl came out of the jungle to confront me. I was both pleased and slightly irritated when he removed his hood.

“Are you here to guide me back to Vikold, Asunru? I’m not going back to him. Not right away anyways.”

“I can see you’re upset with me and rightfully so.” Asunru looked towards the trail that headed back to the temple. “We have little time. Vikhold will arrive at any moment. I have a boat nearby that will take us quickly downriver and into Twuilhe lands.”

“I’ll leave with you on one condition. That you drop this mystery and secrecy and answer my questions truthfully.”

Asunru stared into my eyes and seemed to struggle with himself. He glanced at the flower that had miraculously stayed in my hair through the night and started to reach for it before pulling away. “I’ll answer everything, but you must be the one to gauge the truth. Quickly, we must hurry.”

He turned and slipped into the jungle and I followed him. We walked quickly and silently for nearly an hour before we came to a boat like the one at the river’s dock. This was slightly larger with two seats and once we were both on board, Asunru touched a marker and the boat pulled out into the main current and moved with the flow of the river.

I was still enthralled by my surroundings, but my focus was on Asunru and how his presence did something to me. He was confusing, confounding, and enticing.

“Before you start asking questions, High Priestess Aila, I think you should hear my story.”

“I’ll withhold my questions until you’re finished.”

“My name isn’t Asunru, but Sharian as you had suspected.”

My anger rose within me, but Sharian merely nodded and held up his hand.

“Please, let me explain everything. Before you were sent through the gate to Earth, I was your companion. Your parents were wise and good people and it is the tradition that the faction who births the new High Priestess becomes the temporary ruling faction with the parents of the High Priestess becoming the leaders of the Amaru Meru until the High Priestess fully ascends.”

“That’s not how it was explained to me but continue.”

Sharian frowned. “I’m sure you have been told exactly what Vikhold wanted you to hear. When you were almost two years old, close to five Earth years, Vikhold rebelled and led the Viangi to attack the Twuilhe. His goal was to take you from your parents and take the leadership of the Amaru Meru by force. Knowing that your life was in danger, your parents came to the Earth gate, placed a spell upon you to hide and protect you, and sent you through. That was eight of our years ago.”

“Again, this is different than what I was led to believe.”

“The spell changed your gender to a boy and erased your memories to assure your safety. Your magic would protect you and bring you back to us one day. It was likely your magic that allowed you to remember, to have dreams…”

“Why wouldn’t my parents accompany me? Why send me alone? This makes no sense.”

“Your parents had obligations as leaders of the people. Your mother was going to leave with you, but at the moment you were sent through the gate, Vikhold attacked. Your parents fought valiantly and held off Vikhold until the gate closed. Once the gate closed, Vikhold killed your parents and led an all-out attack against the Twuilhe.”

I opened my mouth and closed it not knowing what to say.

“For two years Vikhold attacked the Twuilhe. Tens of thousands of Twuilhe perished in the Great Culling. Finally, he realized he couldn’t defeat us all. I believe he found copies of the prophecies and changed tactics. There are twenty-one gates and the prophecies foretold you would return one day. Vikhold assumed you had been sent through the Earth gate but had ordered the Viangi to take possession of all the gates awaiting your return. By controlling you, he could ultimately eradicate the Twuilhe and rule everything.”

I knew the answer already, but I wanted to test Sharian’s truthfulness. “How could he control me?”

“By leading you into darkness.”

“Assuming your story is true, how do you fit into all of this? Why did you lie to me about who you were?”

“I’m a few years older than you. I knew of the plan to get you away from Amaru Meru but was ordered to stay back as I was too young. I was hidden away by the Twuilhe and in the years that followed, I studied. I discovered the prophecies a few years ago and after I came of age, I went to the Twuilhe leaders. I begged them to try to take back the gates so that we could be there for your arrival, but they feared Vikhold and more slaughter. Frustrated, I made my way to the Viangi and used my knowledge to infiltrate them. Vikhold believed I was a true historian and tested me over the years to prove my loyalty to him. Believing you to be returning soon, I tried to position myself to be there when you returned so that I could possibly counter Vikhold’s influence.”

“If the Twuilhe leaders refused to help you, why did you do this on your own?”

Sharian looked away and ignored my question. I decided to switch back to the other topic pressing on my mind.

“You didn’t answer my other question. Why did you lie to me?”

“When you told me about your dreams and you called me by my true name, I became fearful. I couldn’t help you if I was dead and if Vikhold found out my true identity, he would kill me for certain. I couldn’t risk staying and being exposed, so I chose to influence you from a distance while I tried once again to get support from the Twuilhe leaders.”

I stared into the jungle as it passed us by. “I saw you when I came of age…”

“I projected myself into the temple. Vikhold wished to direct only dark magic into you and I did my best to counter him by calling to you.”

“How can you do this as Onal?”

“Syette called me Onal and that is the story I gave them all. That I was of a lesser class. I’m actually a Master.”

My hand immediately went to the flower. “It was you all along then? You’ve sent me these flowers. You gave me one when I was young. Tayodh told me the significance of the flower.”

Sharian turned away. “I was promised to you. I…”

I could see his conflict and it touched me.

“When a High Priestess is born, Aila, a mate is chosen through a magical ritual. Sharian is bound to you much like I am, but at a different level. Love binds him to you. Do not underestimate the level of his sacrifice. Sharian speaks the truth.”

Beor’s words caught me off guard. I considered the dragon’s words carefully and felt the pull on my own heart. Had the tables been turned, what would I have done for Sharian?

“Your words ring true to me, Sharian. You went against the wishes of the Twuilhe leaders. You put yourself at risk for me.”

“I couldn’t do otherwise.”

“When you say that Vikhold tested you… What do you mean by that?”

Sharian looked away again and I reached for his cheek to turn his face back towards me.

“He hurt you, didn’t he?”

“It means nothing, High Priestess Aila.”

“It means everything.”

***

Sharian’s constant presence was a pressing distraction to me. As before at the temple, I felt drawn to him, but the more time I spent around him the more this connection grew. My mind struggled against my heart. I don’t know this man and yet I can’t live without him.

I hid this conflict throughout the day and even as we found a clearing to camp for the night, I could feel my heart winning the battle. I kept myself busy by using my magic to shield us and start a fire.

Sharian sat across the fire from me; his eyes never strayed. “When you went into the Valley of the Chosen, what happened?”

“Many dark creatures came to me. Each one was larger and more frightening than the last.” I tried to change the topic slightly. “What of you, Sharian? If you’re a Master, then you must have an animal companion.”

The bushes behind Sharian parted and a huge, white cat stepped forward, nuzzling his cheek against Sharian’s.

“She’s a dawon and they only companion themselves to Lioca.”

“What’s a Lioca?”

“Lioca is equivalent to the Viangi Nakco.”

“You bite people to control them?”

Sharian smiled and the simple act warmed my heart. I resisted the urge to throw myself into his arms.

“Lioca have extreme light magic. While we retain our light magic focus, Lioca have the unique ability to make people trust them. We were most often confused with Earthly angels. It was how I was able to infiltrate the Viangi.”

“Nakco use their magic to control through darkness and Lioca make people want to believe them. They are similar in a way. You don’t sprout white feathery wings and fly, do you?”

“No.”

“How do I know you’re not deceiving me and using your magic to make me trust you?”

“Unlike Nakco that inject a blood curse into someone, Lioca skills are more ephemeral. I could never use it to make a High Priestess trust me and rarely any Masters.”

“What about Vikold?”

“It came in handy, but since he wanted to use my talents, it was easier to make him see what he wanted to see. He saw me as trustworthy and when I lied to him that I supported his desire to turn you towards darkness, he believed me.”

“The dawon… she’s beautiful. How does she help you focus your magic?”

“Dawons are fiercely loyal, sacrificial, and strong. Not that I needed it, but she strengthens my bonds and enhances my ability to create and send objects.”

“Like the flowers on my pillow each day?”

Sharian nodded.

“I remember a dream, or perhaps it was a memory. You put a flower in my hair and my guardians separated us.”

“It’s a memory. One of my fondest of us before everything happened. You could have rejected me. Should have rejected me, but you didn’t. The guardians were much more watchful after that.”

“I’ve got so much to learn. I feel like I’ve missed my life and know so little about what I’m expected to be and do.”

“What was it like on Earth?”

“That’s hard to explain. People are people it seems. I was adopted by a loving and kind family, grew up and went to school. I trained to become a doctor. I lost people I loved very much. Wait… I have something for you.”

I rummaged through my pack and pulled out the Inca Kola. I opened it and handed it to him.

“This was my favorite drink growing up.”

Sharian sniffed it and scrunched up his nose before taking a sip. “It tickles my tongue. I like it.” He paused and looked at me. “I have to admit, I’m a little jealous.”

“Jealous? Of me?”

“Yes. To think other people looked after you and cared for you… You never answered my earlier question. What happened in the valley? I assume you have your companion.”

“Sort of.”

“That’s a rather vague response, High Priestess Aila.”

“Please, call me Aila. You don’t ask me to call you Master.”

“Only when we are alone. It’s disrespectful to not add your title when you’re around others.”

“My title refers to my rank in society. I despise the fact that there were societies on Earth that classified people in castes. It’s not right.”

“Tell me about your companion.”

“You’re rather insistent, Sharian.”

“It’s important to understand your magical disposition and for the timing of events leading to your full ascension.”

“Five days from now.”

“Five days from now, you claim your title and eight days after that you fully ascend. There is spiritual meaning to the timing of these events. They are each crucial milestones and your decisions impact your final destiny.”

“Yes. I received a companion of sorts. He protected my destiny.”

“I don’t understand. How would your animal companion do that?”

“He told me I was sliding too far into darkness and that I needed to remain balanced to avoid being controlled and used to fulfill the prophecy.”

“What do you mean by he spoke to you?”

“You don’t speak to your companion?”

“We communicate, but it isn’t speech. Start from the beginning. This is important as I must assess the danger we might all be in around you.”

“Danger? From me?”

“If you’ve fallen into darkness, we could all be in danger.”

“I didn’t take a dark magic animal as my companion if that’s what you’re worried about.”

“I don’t understand why you’re hesitating to elaborate, Aila, but I see no reason not to trust you. I’m taking you to the Twuilhe leaders and I wish no harm to come to them or any of my people.”

“These are the same Twuilhe leaders that refused to help you? When you left me at the temple, you returned to them. Are they now offering to help?”

“No… They refused once again to help me, so I came to look for you myself. They fear you, Aila. They fear the prophecy.”

“They sound like a bunch of wusses.”

“I’m not familiar with that term.”

“People that are afraid of their own shadows. Ones that know what’s right but refuse to act for fear of retaliation.”

“They’re not all like that.”

“I hope not.”

***

We travelled another day on the river, eventually coming out to the large lake I spotted from the temple. On the right shore of the lake was the first city I had seen on Amara Meru. It’s white stone walls and spires were breathtaking. Nothing on Earth could compare to the artistic beauty and yet I saw some similarities in design.

“Welcome to Yalshema, Aila. Do you recognize anything?”

“There… the balcony doors on that tower. I remember something about my parents… The field of flowers… Is that the one?”

Sharian smiled. “Yes. We used to chase each other in the fields and that room belonged to you. Looks like we didn’t arrive unnoticed.”

A large contingency of men and women dressed in white clothing were coming towards us. Sharian silently led me towards them.

“What’s the meaning of this, Master Sharian? You defy us and bring disaster upon us?”

Ignoring the chastisement, Sharian introduced me. “Master Saurel and leaders of the Twuilhe, let me introduce to you our High Priestess Aila.”

Saurel tipped his head and looked me over carefully before turning back to Sharian. “You overstep your bounds.”

I decided it was time for me to talk.

“I was coming this way anyways, Master Saurel. Master Sharian was kind enough to guide me. He’s done much to keep me safe.”

“What brings you here, High Priestess Aila?”

“By your tone, it feels like I’m not welcome here. If my history is correct, wasn’t I born Twuilhe? Did my parents not die to keep me from the hands of Vikold?”

“I sense you’ve acquired more dark than light magic. You’ve been tainted by the Viangi.”

I turned around to head back towards the boat but Sharian reached for my hand. There was a tangible electric shock that ran through me. This was similar in many ways to Syette’s subtle use of magic in her flirtation, but Sharian’s touch left me breathless and flushed. Would this always happen to me when he touched me?

I turned towards Sharian and saw the concern in his eyes. Shifting my gaze back towards Saurel, I felt anger rise within me, but I spoke softly. “When I first arrived back on Amara Meru, I was told by the Viangi I was tainted by Earth. They don’t know me, and I dare say neither do you. I came here to seek balance. The Viangi were not entirely truthful with me and I can’t be a High priestess without knowing and understanding this world and the people that live here.”

Saurel tipped his head much further towards me. “I apologize, High Priestess Aila. We feared the prophecies.”

“Is that the prophecy where I destroy a faction or the prophecy that I unite all people that you fear?”

“That depends on which faction is destroyed or what unity might look like. Both can be frightening outcomes. May I ask what your companion is?”

“You may ask, but all I will say is that he is not of dark magic.”

“It is wise for you to not disclose everything about you. You are curious about this world as we are of you. Come, it is getting late. Let us feast to your arrival. We have much to discuss.”

***

Sharian stayed close but it was clear Master Saurel didn’t trust him. There always seemed to be several men and women hovering nearby and I could only assume these were guards of some sort. I sat next to Saurel at a table that was slightly higher than all the others around the massive room. I tasted many succulent foods and listened to the conversations all around me.

Perhaps my female intuition was warning me, but I felt this was all rather phony; a carefully orchestrated show of kindness. I had many questions for the Twuilhe leaders, but this event gave me no good opportunity to ask them. Frustrated, I stood and asked if I could retire for the evening.

“Certainly, High Priestess Aila. We have a room prepared for you.”

“Would it be possible for me to stay in my old room? The room I had as a child?”

“It’s hardly befitting of your status, but it has been left untouched.” Saurel seemed to contemplate this for a moment and then waved his hand to two people. “High Priestess Aila, let me introduce you to Onal Twila, and Senal Lucassian. They can guide you to your old room and provide anything you might need.”

“What of Master Sharian? Can he accompany us?”

“The Twuilhe leaders would like to spend some time with Master Sharian yet this evening. You can meet up with him again in the morning.”

“Why is it that I loathe to be away from Sharian, Beor?”

“You are bound to him, Aila.”

“I don’t trust these people.”

“Nor should you, but you should not fear them either.”

I looked over at Sharian and smiled. “Thank you, Master Sharian. I look forward to learning more from you tomorrow.”

That brought a smile to his face as Twila and Lucassian led me away. I turned once before leaving the large hall and found Sharian staring after me.

***

“It’s truly an honor to assist you, High Priestess Aila. I’m sure you would like to change out of those Viangi clothes and I’ll do what I can to find something for you.”

“Thank you, Twila. Please don’t go to too much effort.”

Twila was leading and Lucassian had fallen into place next to me.

“It’s good to know you’ve returned to us. I’ve missed having Master Sharian around here.”

This peaked my interest.

“You know Master Sharian?”

“Since childhood. After the Great Culling he and I got to know each other much better. He looks so much better now that you’re back, High Priestess Aila.”

“He’s a good man.”

“The best. He won’t speak to me about what he went through and the Twuilhe leaders are not pleased with him. I know he would do nothing to harm the Twuilhe.”

Twila interrupted us. “Here is your old room, High Priestess Aila.”

Twila opened the door and we all stepped inside. Flashes of my dreams and memories flickered in my mind as I looked around the room. There was a small bed and bright colors on the walls. I immediately felt like I had come home.

“Are there pictures of my parents? I don’t see any.”

“They were all moved into our archives to preserve them. I could speak with someone to get you access.”

“I would appreciate that, Twila. I can’t even remember what they looked like.”

“I never met them, but I’m told they were wonderful people. Master Saurel has asked Lucassian and me to stay close in case you need anything. Are you certain you wish to stay here the night? The bed is so small.”

“I’ll be fine. Thank you both.”

I waited until they both left before taking a deep breath. Seeing my old room brought forth a wave of emotions. Longing and sadness, confusion, and deep sorrow as I thought of my Earthly parents. I sat down on the bed and wept.

***

The cry had done me good and I had managed to fall asleep on the small bed only to be awakened by the light of the twin suns streaming through the white stone framed balcony doors. I cleaned myself up and checked myself out in the mirror. It had been a few days since I had seen my reflection.

When I first arrived transformed into a woman, I was both shocked and every move I made caused me to obsess about the slightest details. However, I found as the days progressed, I was able to stop focusing on the subtle smaller differences. My movements were more fluid, and I had become accustomed to wearing dresses.

Seeing my reflection once again, I noted the increased confidence in my stance. Knowing I had magic to protect myself and a dragon to call upon took away the worries of being female in a male dominated world. I noted that I was no longer desiring to go back to who I was as Luke and in many ways, I never had been Luke.

A knock sounded on the door and Twila entered with Lucassian in tow. Twila was holding a beautiful white dress and Lucassian held a portrait.

“I managed to get this from the archives, High Priestess Aila. We will leave these here in your room and give you some time. Master Saurel would like to see you at your convenience.”

“Thank you both.”

Twila laid the dress out on the bed and Lucassian hung the portrait on the wall before exiting the room. I moved over to the portrait and stared at the handsome man and beautiful woman that were my real parents. They appeared kind and loving and I had tiny fragments of my memories with them. If what was said happened was true, then Vikold and the Viangi killed them to gain power and control over me. My life as I know it was molded by those events.

Thinking of Vikold and what was done made my magic rise within me. I wanted to lash out in anger.

“Be careful of your emotions, Aila. Anger is a useful emotion, but uncontrolled anger leads to darkness and evil.”

My magic receded at Beor’s words. “I could easily be persuaded to attack the Viangi for what they have done, but to what end? My real parents will still be dead. My life will still be the life I have led. Somehow I must look towards the future and making a better life for everyone.”

“By focusing on the outcomes of your choices, you will become a wise leader. It is when leaders make rash decisions that things go wrong.”

“Do you know the truth of what happened, Beor?”

“It is as Sharian told you.”

“What should I do?”

“Trust your instincts and know evil exists to some degree in all people.”

“That’s comforting…”

I hesitantly turned away from the portrait and changed into the white dress before heading back into the hallway to find Twila and Lucassian waiting for me.

“We can take you to Master Saurel now, High Priestess Aila.”

“I’d like to see Master Sharian first.”

Twila and Lucassian looked at each other before Twila responded for both. “Master Sharian can’t be found. Master Saurel might know where he is.”

As I thought about this, I recalled there was no flower on my pillow this morning. I felt much unease. “Then please take me to Master Saurel.”

We entered what appeared to be a throne room of some sorts and Saurel and five other Twuilhe leaders were standing next to him. Sharian wasn’t there.

Twila and Lucassian slipped out of the room leaving me alone with the group.

“Ah, there you are, High Priestess Aila. I trust you slept well?”

“My memories of my childhood are somewhat limited, but seeing my old room brought a sense of comfort I’ve not felt in many months, Master Saurel. I wished to see Master Sharian. Do you know where he is?”

Saurel offered a slight frown before replacing it with a fake smile. “I will take you to him shortly. As Twuilhe leaders, we need to confirm your disposition and seek assurance you are on our side. The Viangi must pay for what they did to your parents and the Twuilhe. With your support, the Twuilhe will lead an attack against the Viangi.”

“I may be new to Amaru Meru and new to this role I’m supposed to play as High Priestess, but I do know that destroying one faction will lead to the loss of magic.”

“We don’t need to destroy the Viangi, just send a powerful message. Ten, maybe twenty thousand deaths should put them in their place.”

“I’ll not support that, Master Saurel. Vikold and some of the Viangi may be filled with evil intent, but not all the Viangi are this way. We need each other.”

“I would think that with what they did to your parents that you would be more amenable to this. According to the timelines, you’re still not fully High Priestess until your ascension and thus we take no orders from you. It is my belief that you have absorbed too much dark magic and have fallen into darkness.”

“Don’t you see that you’re behaving no differently than Vikold? You wish to manipulate me to your cause. I thought by coming here that I might find balance, but I see the leadership of the Twuilhe aren’t what I was expecting. Please take me to Master Sharian.”

“There’s no need for me to take you.”

Saurel waved his hand and Sharian was led into the room surrounded by four men. His hands were bound, and a strange glowing collar was around his neck. It was clear he had been beaten.

“What have you done to him?” I could barely contain my anger, but I managed to hold it in check.

“Show her.”

Sharian was dragged closer to me and his sleeve pulled up. A wicked looking burn mark, long healed, was on his forearm.

“That’s the mark Vikold gives to his minions to show their fealty to him. Sharian serves the Viangi and as the traitor he is, he will be put to death.”

“Then you’ll have to kill me as well.”

“So be it…”

***

Saurel moved towards me and held two objects, one in each hand. One was a collar like the one Sharian was wearing and the other was a silver orb.

“We refuse to recognize you as High Priestess, Aila, as you have shown yourself to be in alignment with our enemy.” He held up the orb in his right hand. “This is the orb of regeneration. It has never been used in the history of the Amaru Meru. It can counter the magic of the High Priestess allowing us to safely end your life and force the regeneration of a new High Priestess.” He held up the collar in his other hand. “This collar will allow you to live, but it will constantly absorb your magic rendering you as any underage citizen without magic. You have a choice, Aila. Death or servitude.”

“I need you, Beor!”

“I’m coming, Aila. Because of our binding, the orb cannot affect you. Your magic is now different than any other High Priestess.”

This gave me confidence and I took a step towards Saurel. I stretched out my hand and willed the orb into it. Saurel’s eyes went wide with fear as the orb flew into my hand. I was a little surprised myself.

“You will remove Sharian’s collar. Now!”

Saurel looked like he had taken a blow to his head. “How…?”

I could feel Beor’s presence. Suddenly, the roof of the room imploded as Beor crashed through it and flew down to land next to me.

“Meet my companion, Beor.”

“This… This has never occurred before…” Saurel fell to his knees and everyone else followed suit. “Forgive us, High Priestess Aila.”

“I can forgive what you would do to me, but I’m not sure I can forgive what you have done to Sharian. There is no man with as much honor as him. I don’t believe he would ever put Twuilhe lives at risk.”

“But he bears the mark…”

Having a dragon at your back would be enough to make anyone confident.

“Enough, Saurel! It was Master Sharian that appeared to me when I came of age to protect me from drawing too much dark magic. He put himself at risk while you refused to help him. I’m certain there is a perfectly good explanation for the mark had you been willing enough to listen.”

I slipped the orb into a pocket of my dress, walked over to Sharian, and placed my hand on his cheek. The magic rose within my fingers as I grabbed the collar and watched it fall apart in my hands. I then willed healing into Sharian and watched as even his burn mark dissolved away.

Sharian’s eyes finally focused on mine and then turned to see Beor behind me. He smiled at me before turning angrily to Saurel.

“You wouldn’t listen to me, Master Saurel. I took the mark as well as the other abuse by Vikold to prove I was trustworthy to him. I did this so I could be close to Aila when she returned.”

I walked over to Saurel and looked down upon him. “When I first arrived, I believed the Twuilhe to be good and Viangi to be evil. What you’ve proven to me today is that evil can exist in either faction. I came here to find balance and all I’m leaving with is disillusionment.”

He looked up at me. “What would you have of us, High Priestess Aila?”

“Find a way to redeem yourselves.” I turned to Sharian. “Would you come with me?”

“Always.”

Beor lowered his massive neck and I slid up onto it before pulling Sharian up behind me. With a mighty downward thrust of his wings, we flew up and out of throne room.

“Where are we heading, Aila?”

“Someplace safe… Is there somewhere I could go to learn more?”

“The dragon temple has an ancient archive.”

“Then let’s go there, Beor.”

Beor banked and we headed upriver.

“Now I understand why you were hesitant to tell me what your companion was. I failed you, Aila. I’m sorry.”

“No. It’s my fault. I should never have left you last night.”

I felt Sharian’s arms pull me a little tighter against him. It felt wonderful.

“Where are we heading?”

“To the dragon temple near the entrance of the Valley of the Chosen. There’s an archive there.”

“Why do you want to go to an archive?”

“Perhaps we might find something there that can help guide me as to what to do next.”

“After your show of force, I’m certain you could have stayed in Yalshema.”

“After threatening to kill me and have you killed? I think my welcome was rather worn out. What happened to you?”

“After you left the feast, I was taken by Master Saurel to be questioned for my disobedience. I wasn’t expecting an easy time, but I had nothing to hide. That’s when they snuck up behind me and put on the collar. I was at least somewhat numb by the negation of my magic to feel the physical beating.”

“Why would they do that?”

“They’re afraid, Aila. The Great Culling left them broken and anything Viangi is suspected. Over the years, there have been several spies that caught the Twuilhe off guard. Now they take no chances.”

I slipped my hand into Sharian’s and felt the same spark as before. “Are you doing that?”

“Not intentionally. The first day I remember feeling it was when I tackled you in the meadow. It’s why I gave you the flower. I’ve always felt our being together was meant to be.”

“All my life I struggled to commit to a relationship. I don’t like being away from you, Sharian.”

“The feeling is quite mutual.”

***

Beor descended onto the temple platform some five hundred feet above the river. What couldn’t be seen from the valley floor was the vast and extensive cavern and entrance to the dragon temple.

I climbed down and stroked the mighty dragon’s cheek. “Thank you, Beor.”

“You are bound to me and thus not a threat to the other dragons that reside here, but Sharian is not. He should stay near you for his own protection.”

I smiled as several young dragons hissed at Sharian. “I think I can handle that.”

“Beor tells me you should stay close to me, Sharian. The dragons see me as one of their own because of Beor.”

“And I’m happy to stay close to you.”

“I’m sure I’ll never fully know or understand all that you went through over the years for my benefit.” I took his hand in mine and leaned in close to kiss his cheek then produced a violet flower to give to him. For all the magic I had at my fingertips, I was still frightened by his possible response.

He took the flower and slipped it into my hair. “To one a flower is given, to one a choice needs to be made.”

“What is that supposed to mean?”

“The one receiving the flower of love and commitment has a choice to make. They must choose to accept the giver or reject him.”

“I didn’t know…”

“Now you do.”

“If I accept the giver, what does that mean?”

“It means you give of yourself to them forever.”

“I just gave you a flower and you gave it back to me. What does that signify?”

“It means that I’ve already accepted you.”

“Since when?”

“Since the meadow.”

“For all these years, you’ve waited for my response?”

“Yes, and I’ll continue to wait until you’re ready.”

To accept Sharian would be to deny everything that I had been for most of my life. I wasn’t certain yet. “How long will you wait?”

“For you?”

I nodded.

“Forever.”

“Are you certain you’re not just enamored with the memory of a little girl from so many years ago?”

“I was enamored with her then and I still am. I was magically chosen, yet we both have free will to decide for ourselves.”

I stared into his eyes and took his hand in mine. “I suppose touching me is something forbidden?”

“Yes, but we live in strange times.”

I laughed. “You think these are strange times? I just found out I’m supposed to be High Priestess of a world, leader of a people I never knew existed, and there’s magic and dragons flying around. You should see things from my perspective. Strange is an understatement.”

“Worlds. You’re the High Priestess of many worlds. I just don’t want you to be incorrect in your assessment of the situation.”

“Fantastic. Just what I wanted to hear… Shall we see what this archive is all about?”

***

I had expected a vast room filled with rows upon rows of dusty leather-bound books and scrolls. What I discovered was that an archive of the Amaru Meru was closer to a magical YouTube than a library. There were walls with markings to touch that would display lifelike images of events and chairs to sit in to select virtual documents from the air in front of you.

Of course, Sharian was right at home except for the odd dragon I had to shoo away from him. I didn’t even know what to look for or where to start.

Sharian was a big help and guided me through the process of how to search and perform research.

“Stand here, Aila.”

I stood where Sharian pointed and faced a blank wall of stone.

“Wave your hand towards the wall and think of an event, person, or object.”

The weight of the orb in my pocket guided my thoughts as I waved my hand and sought an answer to the orb that could take away a High Priestess’ power. The wall shimmered, and images began to appear along with hovering writings. The images were of the creation of the orb and the writing gave historical background.

“The images appear to be actual events, Sharian. I guess I’m used to seeing someone’s interpretation of the events leading up to how and why the orb was created.”

“All our archives are like this. Nothing was left to chance. We never wanted someone to relay history, we wanted to see it firsthand.”

“That wouldn’t go over so well on Earth. Everyone has an opinion on what should have happened and what did happen. How did these get recorded?”

“Most of what I’ve seen here are convergence recordings. There are events that are publicly recorded, and they are stored in the various archives around Amaru Meru. What we see here seem to be from magical convergence. When major events happen that involve a lot of magic, the images are stored as if recorded from the eyes of the individuals participating. What’s interesting about the creation of the orb, is we’re seeing it through the eyes of the High Priestess at the time. Masters of Viangi and Twuilhe are also visible and together they created the orb. The image of the document represents the agreement that was spoken and bound into the orb. It says the orb was created to protect the worlds from an evil High Priestess.”

“Knowing how much power I feel, I can understand why they would create such a device. What other kinds of recordings might we see?”

“How about your binding to Beor?” Sharian waved his hand and the images changed. It was as if I was reliving my time on the stone platform as beasts came to me one after the other.

“That’s a little frightening to think I’m being recorded.”

“Companion binding of a High Priestess would involve much magic and would be captured.”

“What about my parents? Would they be in here somewhere?”

“Try it.”

I thought of my parents and waved my hand and an image of several people appeared. I wasn’t positive, but it looked like the temple where the gateway to Earth was located. At least six people stood around a little girl dressed in an iridescent gown. A beautiful woman I recognized as my mother placed the ring necklace around my neck. Everyone began chanting and before my eyes, the girl changed into a little boy. The gateway then opened, and my father wept as he hugged the boy and told him to walk into the gate. I could see my mother hesitate and look back at my father with tears in her own eyes, when suddenly chaos erupted within the temple. Fire exploded everywhere and my parents and other Twuilhe began to burn.

I turned away from the images and wiped at my tears. Sharian was instantly at my side.

“I’m sorry, Aila. I’ve not seen this myself.”

“I should have known better. The spell they placed upon me made me forget about Amaru Meru. I understand it was for my own good, but seeing them… I look at the images like watching a movie of someone else. I was that little girl. Those were my parents…”

Sharian took my hand. “Enough of this for the day. I believe there are rooms here for us to use. Besides, I can’t get to them without you by my side. The dragons think I’m a nice snack.”

***

I was numb from seeing the images. I have vague memories of the day I was found on Earth. They were the earliest memories I could remember apart from my dreams.

Sharian led me through the temple and secured a door behind us with a magic lock. Once he felt like the coast was clear of dragons in the area, he relaxed a little and sat us both down on a large bed.

“I’ll sleep over there, Aila. You take the bed.”

Sharian stood to leave and I grabbed his hand. I felt the same sparks as before that filled my entire body with warmth. “The bed is large. Please stay.”

“It’s not acceptable…”

“I’m not asking you to make love to me, Sharian, just to be with me. I don’t wish you to be uncomfortable and I’ve got no one left… You’re the only person on two worlds I know and trust.”

Still he hesitated.

I stood and faced him. “I’m afraid, Sharian.”

“You’re the most powerful person in all the worlds. What could you be afraid of?”

“I’m afraid this is all a dream; that I’ll wake up and find myself back on Earth. I’m afraid if this is all real, that I’ll never live up to being High Priestess. I’m afraid that if I make a wrong decision, it will destroy many lives.”

“That’s a lot to be afraid of. This isn’t a dream, Aila. If you fear making decisions, you’ll immobilize yourself.” He smiled and tapped my head gently with his finger. “You’ve got too much going on up here. Stop thinking with your brain and analyzing everything and start thinking with your heart. There is goodness in you, Aila.”

Sharian’s nearness was overwhelming. My head told me I was a fool and nothing I did was right, but my heart told me I couldn’t live without Sharian. My brain said I didn’t know him, and my heart said I’ve known him all my life.

“Then I’m going to trust my heart and make a decision. I accept the giver. I yield myself to you, Sharian. I surrender my heart and my foolish brain for I’ve never felt anything so strong in all my life. More powerful than magic or dragons is the love I’ve felt for you all my life; hidden behind my loss of memories was a connection that has bound my fate to you and kept my heart from straying.”

Sharian’s hands cupped my face and his lips pressed against mine. I yielded to the stirring within me and pressed up against his body. The magic sparks that danced between our lips drew forth an unquenchable passion from the very depths of my soul.

When we parted, I knew without a doubt that this was what it was like to be kissed by your soul mate.

“I guess that solves the question where you will be sleeping tonight.”

Sharian stroked my cheek with his hand. “It certainly does. The couch looks comfortable enough.”

“What?”

“If I sleep with you in that bed, I’ll not be able to control myself. There are reasons we can’t… Not until you fully ascend.”

“You’re kidding me… That’s eleven days from now.”

“There are reasons for this. Some are traditional and make no sense at all, but others have real consequences. When you ascend, your magic stabilizes and locks. There will be no more chances to sway your magical leaning. Being Lioca, our mating would severely imbalance you towards light magic. By accepting me and giving of your heart, we are bound spiritually and magically, but we must wait to be bound physically.”

“I’ve never felt anything like this before, Sharian. Eleven days… This is going to be torture.”

***

It certainly had been torture trying to sleep. My heart and body yearned for Sharian’s touch and knowing he was in the room nearby made it impossible to sleep. I contemplated whether there were physical, spiritual, or genetic differences between the Amaru Meru people and those on Earth or if magic somehow created a bond deeper than anything I had ever experienced before. There had been times in my relationship with Samantha that I thought I loved her, but nothing could come close to what I felt with Sharian.

After Sharian had awakened and we found a source of food and water, we sat and discussed what needed to happen next. The discussion was often interrupted by snuggling and kissing.

“Tell me a little more about the milestones, Sharian.” My fingers were entwined with his and I leaned into him as we sat on a couch together.

“You recall the caste levels?”

“Onal, Senal, Master and Manu, and then the anomalous me, High Priestess.”

“Everyone has the first milestone, called awakening. This happens two days prior to their tenth birthday. You arrived on your awakening milestone as it was prophesied. Awakening is very much like it means; your spirit opens itself to magic and for most people the two days from awakening to their birthday are often filled in isolation, meditation, and self-reflection. The second milestone follows two days later with the tenth birthday. This is called the gathering. Onals don’t have any other milestones after their gathering. For the rest of us, on the third day after our gathering, we then travel into the Valley of the Chosen to gain our animal companion. That third milestone is called the binding. Masters then must wait five days for the fourth milestone, or enlightenment as it is called. Enlightenment confers upon a Master or High Priestess their title, but this is more than just being given a title, something happens magically that defines their sphere of influence. Finally, for a High Priestess, the fifth milestone comes eight days later. This is called ascension and magically ratifies all the powers and authority of the High Priestess.”

“It all sounds so complicated. On Earth, you’re considered an adult at the age of twenty-one years and you usually just go out to a bar to get drinks.”

“You’re not allowed to drink before then?”

I laughed. “I meant drinking alcohol, a substance that affects your body like a drug.”

“You purposefully drug yourself on your birthday? That seems a bit odd.”

“You’re right. It is. I guess my enlightenment milestone is tomorrow. Is it as painful as the gathering?”

“No. However, a High Priestess’ milestones have always been attended by leaders from both factions. Sadly, this won’t be the case for you. Nothing about your ascension has been right. Your life would have been so much better had Vikold not tried to take power.”

I considered that for a moment. “Maybe if everything was as it should have been, then I wouldn’t have been the same person I am now. My experiences have made me who I am. I bet Saurel would have been happier if I was brought up under the scrutiny of Twuilhe guidance.”

“We can’t speculate on what could have been, just what is. I’m very pleased with how you turned out.”

“You can thank my Earthly parents for that. They were both very special people.”

“One day I would like to meet them.”

“They’re both dead. Mom died in a car accident a month ago. I miss her.” My hand absentmindedly went to my neck. “You know, it’s funny. After my mom died, she had left me some things that were kept in a safe place. It was the first time I remember seeing the ring necklace outside of my dreams. I know it is part of being a High Priestess, but it reminds me of my mom. I hate that Vikold still has it.”

“Every High Priestess has worn it.”

“What’s the significance of it?”

“I don’t know, but we’re in the right place to find out.”

***

Once we were back in the archive, I waved my hand towards the wall and thought about the ring necklace. The images that came forth were confusing. A High Priestess would be wearing the necklace and the ring, and they would be before an open gate. Other images showed the High Priestess wearing the necklace at her time of ascension and the necklace was glowing brightly. After about an hour of seeing images, it was Sharian that began putting it all together.

“Do you notice the beads on the necklace? One of the beads seemed to be glowing as well as the gem on the ring when the image shows an open gate.”

“I don’t see the significance of that.”

“Count the beads.”

“I see twenty-one.”

“One bead for each gate…”

We scrolled through the images again and different beads glowed with different gates.

“I can see the correlation about the number of beads to gates, but I’m still not sure what it all means.”

“Our history tells us that we used to travel back and forth through the gates far more frequently than we do now. I believe what we’re seeing is the ring and necklace powering the gates. I suspect that whomever has the ring and necklace can open the gates at will without having to wait for the timing of celestial events.”

“Do you think Vikold knows this?”

“I doubt it, but I’m sure he believes there is much power in them. That’s why he took them from you. Eventually he may figure it out. I’m more concerned about the other images as the ring and necklace may be a requirement for your ascension. Vikold might understand that and is keeping them from you so you can’t ascend, or you eventually come to him playing into his hands.”

“I’m less worried about ascending then him figuring out he can freely move from world to world. He’s evil and power hungry. He could destroy everything and anyone in his path in those worlds without magic. I need to get it back.”

“No, Aila. It’s too dangerous.”

“I don’t understand, Sharian. Am I not High Priestess? Can’t I just swoop in and burn the place to the ground?”

“You’re not invulnerable. Magical attacks would do little against you, but physical attacks can still kill you.”

“What good am I then?”

“I think you misunderstand your role, Aila. Yes, you have more magic than anyone else, but that was used to establish authority. The High Priestess leads our people and has the final say when agreement can’t be reached. You’re not a war goddess.”

“A man on Earth once said that all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. We can’t leave that power in the hands of Vikold. Do you know what happens if a High Priestess doesn’t ascend?”

“I think there is a possibility that without the necklace during ascension the High priestess might regenerate. You would lose all your power and authority. I don’t know for certain as I don’t see any examples of ascension without the ring necklace.”

“I don’t care about the power or authority, Sharian. But if what you suggest is true, then the worlds will be without a High Priestess for another ten years. There will be no one to stand against Vikold. Right now, I have power. I should take the chance to protect the lives of everyone.”

“You would be playing right into Vikold’s hands. The Twuilhe leaders will refuse to help and the two of us alone… I can’t risk your life, Aila. Not after I just got you back.”

My heart broke seeing the sadness in Sharian’s eyes. I reached for him and kissed him. “You’ll never lose me. I promise.”

***

The next day Sharian had prepared a small ceremony for my fourth milestone of enlightenment. I’m not exactly sure how he did it, but when he led me to the middle of the temple Beor and the other dragons were waiting in a circle. I stood in the center of the circle and felt rather foolish.

Sharian knelt on one knee in front of me and held up a violet flower. “On this auspicious day and in front of these witnesses, I commit myself to you, High priestess Aila. I will be your protector and lover no matter what the circumstances our lives may take us.”

Sharian must have known the timing exactly, as at that moment I felt a rush of magical energy pour through me. I felt different, more confident than ever before.

“Two things are happening here, Aila. You just received your enlightenment and now Sharian is awaiting your public response to his offer. Take the flower, High Priestess Aila.”

I glanced at Beor and winked before dropping to my knees before Sharian. Taking the flower from his hand, I placed it into my hair.

Sharian looked a little flustered. “The High Priestess never kneels to anyone, especially to me.”

“This High Priestess will always kneel to the man that has my heart. I accept you, Sharian, and I also commit to you to be your protector and lover no matter what the circumstances our lives my take us.”

Sharian pulled me up and kissed me. “Did you feel it? The moment of your enlightenment?”

“I felt the magic course through me for my enlightenment and I also felt my heart flooded with love from my betrothed.”

***

It had been a simple ceremony, but it was profound to me. We spent the rest of the day snuggling, talking, kissing, and fighting our urges to do more.

It was late when I finally heard Sharian’s deep, rhythmic breathing. I got up and slipped out into the temple. Beor was waiting for me.

“I feel like a horrible person, Beor.”

“Your decision will not be without great pain and suffering, but I believe it is the right choice.”

“If something happens to me, will you protect Sharian and take him where he needs to be?”

“Yes.”

I glanced back towards the door and everything I held dear. It was for him that I chose this path. I climbed up onto Beor’s neck and we flew from the dragon temple towards the gate to Earth.

***

Beor deposited me close to the temple. I remembered enough of the layout to get back to my old room, the main Earth gate area, and I had a suspicion as to where Vikold might stay. The jungle at night was more ominous as the moons cast multiple shifting shadows. Everything but my confidence level was much higher than before.

It wasn’t long before I reached the temple and touched the mark to grant me access inside. I was now kicking myself for not keeping the Viangi outfit as my white dress was easy to spot in the dark hallways.

I crept slowly through the temple, my ears straining to hear the slightest sound. As I moved further into the structure, hallways became lit and I was nearing places where there was more activity.

I was about to move into another hallway when the wall behind me vanished.

“You!”

I felt a firm grip on my wrist and my arm tingled with someone’s magic as I spun around. Syette’s dark eyes bored into mine. Her fire magic doing little to me. I put my hand over her mouth and pushed her back into her room and up against a wall.

“You’re no match for me now, Syette. One shout from you and I’ll leave you in pieces on the floor. Do you understand?”

Syette nodded and I slipped my hand from her mouth to her neck. I let my magic dance there just enough so she could feel it.

“Where did Vikold put my ring necklace?”

“You’ll never get it.”

I raised my magic enough to make her feel it even more. “That’s not an answer to my question.”

Syette squirmed beneath my touch. “It’s in his chambers. Down the hallway to the intersection, turn right, and at the end of that hall is his room. You won’t make it out of here.”

I altered my magic and willed Syette into a deep sleep. I marveled at my ability to use magic and how easily it came to me. I considered changing into some of her clothes, but with the hallways lit, it would make little difference. Looking down on Syette, I didn’t wish her harm. She was of Amaru Meru and maybe she could be redeemed.

Slipping back into the hallway, I turned the corner and made my way as quickly and quietly to the room Syette claimed to be Vikold’s. I touched the marker and cringed feeling a magical lock on it. It took no more than a moment to use my magic to unlock the door and open it, but my time was rapidly running out. I could sense danger and trouble and it was very likely that my forcing the lock would be made known by the person that put it on in the first place.

I stepped into the dark room with only small amounts of moonlight coming in from the window. This was a large, lavish room filled with luxurious furniture and tapestries. In the far corner of the room I spotted a desk with a black box on it. A mirror hung above the desk and my moonlit reflection looked rather ghostly to me.

The box beckoned me, and I walked over to the desk and slowly lifted the lid of the box. The ring necklace glittered before me. I reached for it but paused. Something wasn’t right. I turned around to find nothing behind me. Turning back to the mirror, I glanced once again at my reflection. A flicker of something caught my eye and then Vikold’s face appeared next to mine. Before I could do anything, his teeth sank deep into my neck. Fire burned through my veins and I screamed in agony.

***

I gasped for air much like a fish out of water as I collapsed onto the floor. Vikold’s Nakco blood curse seared its way through my veins. My magic could do nothing to stop it. Darkness seemed to pour in all around me. As I slipped into and out of consciousness, I could see my fingers dancing with magic as they convulsively grabbed the carpets on the floor.

I heard my screams as if hearing them from a distance. All that I knew began to fragment in my mind. There was nothing but the comfort of darkness.

***

“It’s about time you woke up, High Priestess Aila.”

My eyes opened slowly. I was lying on a bed in a dark room and my master’s voice had spoken to me. Internally, I fought, but I had no idea what I was fighting. It made me angry.

“It’s time for you to get up.”

I had to obey his command even though I hated it. I hated him and yet I didn’t know why. I sat up and looked around the room I was in. I saw but I couldn’t piece together what I was seeing as if there was a barrier between my consciousness and my senses.

“You’ve been asleep for two days, High Priestess Aila. It’s time for you to get to work.”

Master Vikold moved to a desk and pulled a ring necklace from a box. It reminded me of something but there was nothing tangible I could grasp, and, as quickly as I connected to it, it vanished from my thoughts.

“Come here.”

I moved towards my master and glanced at my reflection in the mirror. There was a sense of who I was, but the pale-skinned, dark-eyed woman staring back at me was different. I managed to hold onto a single word in my mind. Aila.

Vikold placed the necklace around my neck, stood back, and smiled. “I should have done this a long time ago. Follow me.”

My legs moved of their own accord and as the walls and hallways passed me by, I held onto the one word that resonated within me. Aila… Aila… Aila… I was nothing but a shell, a ghost.

We entered a large open space and my anger continued to grow. I had recognition, but I couldn’t hang onto any memory long enough to gain understanding.

A woman pushed her way through a crowd of people towards me. She was upset and slapped me hard. I registered the pain but felt nothing but my simmering rage.

“You control her now, Master Vikold. Give her to me for all I have done for you.”

“You think I should reward you? You’ve failed me time and time again. Strike her, High Priestess Aila.”

My magic rose up within me as my arm lashed out towards the woman. I hit her with a combination of force and magic that sent her sprawling into a nearby wall. There was a sense of power and I could feel my mouth twitch into a slight smile.

I screamed internally. Aila… Aila… It was my last and only shred of connection to who I was.

The woman stirred and rose shaking to her feet. She wiped blood from her lip, looked angrily at Vikold and slipped away and out of sight. I wanted to feel anything other than anger, but I couldn’t.

“Our plan has been a success and our victory is at hand. By controlling the gates, the Viangi were in position to secure the High Priestess when she returned to us. Although we suffered some setbacks, Aila absorbed far more dark than light magic in her gathering. We must also assume she bonded with a dark magic animal companion for no light magic beast would have come to her. By taking the ring and necklace of ascension, Aila was forced to return to us or the High Priestess would have been regenerated. Two nights ago, Aila tried to steal back the necklace. It called to her so that she could fully ascend five days from now. That call drove her to me and I infected her with a Nakco blood curse. She is now fully under my control and with her power, we will destroy the Twuilhe once and for all.”

I heard Vikold’s words, but it was difficult to register what he was saying.

“Now, I will show you ultimate proof.”

A man was dragged forward. He struggled in their grasp as his eyes sought mine. There was something about him.

“This man came to us years ago. We believed his disillusionment with the Twuilhe was real and after extensive testing, he took our mark of obedience. We believed him to be Onal, but he was a Master and Lioca. He used his magic to build trust inside our ranks making it hard for us to penetrate his facade. His desire was to infiltrate us and work against our goals. It has come to my attention that this man is none other than Sharian, magically chosen mate to Aila.”

Sharian… Sharian…

“There can be no greater test of our High Priestess than for her to kill this man, a Lioca, a Master, her chosen mate. High Priestess Aila. Kill him!”

The man’s eyes widened as I stepped forward and grabbed his neck with one hand. The other men holding him stepped back and away.

“Aila…” The man’s voice was barely audible.

There was something in his eyes… Aila… Sharian… I began to tighten my grip as my magic built. Words came into my head.

“Love conquers all and the darkness can never take you.”

My hand began shaking. Sharian… Sharian… I felt my lips tingle and my body flush with warmth.

“Kill him!”

My fingers tightened slightly, but a thread of light appeared in the darkness of my mind. It connected words and thoughts and I could feel once again. I felt love. Love…

I closed my eyes as I felt my life returning to me. When I opened them I saw Sharian. The darkness was still there within me and it tore at my mind and clawed at me. The pain was immeasurable as I fought to regain my hold. My shaking hand slid from Sharian’s neck to his cheek and I leaned forward and kissed him before succumbing to the pain wracking my body.

“Beor!”

People were moving all around me as I screamed out in defiance against the darkness. A wave of white light ripped through the temple throwing the Viangi like rags in all directions. Sharian fell over me to protect my body as stones crashed all around us.

***

I woke on the comfort of a soft bed, but I was anything but comfortable. My muscles were convulsing and twisting in pain.

“You’re safe, Aila. Fight it. Fight the darkness.”

Sharian’s worried face came into focus as he hovered near me. My muscles calmed and the fire within my blood temporarily subsided.

“I’m… sorry. I… had no… control.” I started weeping uncontrollably. “Forgive…”

Sharian’s hand stroked my face and hair. “It is me that needs to ask your forgiveness. I had no idea the ring necklace was calling to you. I should have gone with you. I was selfish, wanting to keep you safe for myself.”

My shaking hand reached for his. “I’m dying, Sharian.”

“No!”

“I… can feel it. Either I… succumb to the darkness…” I coughed and shook a little. “…and become… a mindless tool… or I will die… fighting against it.”

“No… You can fight it, Aila. Your magic is different. No one has ever fought themselves free of the blood curse of the Nakco. You’re winning.”

I squeezed his hand. “Too… much darkness. Too much dark magic.”

It had taken all I had to fight off the darkness to share those words. The pain once again tore through me causing me to lapse into a fitful sleep.

***

When I woke next, the pain had greatly diminished, but so had my energy. Death was close, but it also seemed like I had a momentary reprieve.

“Aila!” Sharian looked drained.

“I don’t have long, my love.”

Tears fell from his cheeks. I was his beloved for his entire life. His lips found mine and instead of pulling away, I held him fast against me. I returned his kiss.

Sharian tried to pull away again, afraid he may hurt me. Again, I held him tight and kissed him.

“I would… if you would grant me one wish… to be your wife just once.”

Sharian paused and kissed me deeply. Our tears mingled and fell to the sheets. I felt every touch, every spark of magic. Our passion grew even though my energy was diminishing. His hands were on me, gently removing my clothing.

I yielded completely to him; indulging in the most intimate of moments. When we came together as one, I moaned with ecstasy and was filled with indescribable joy.

Afterwards, we laid there in each other’s arms as I drifted into a deep sleep.

***

I was in a place where light was all around me. There was no struggle, no pain. I was me. Aila. A man approached me from the distance and as I recognized him, I ran to him.

“Dad!”

He enveloped me in his arms and held me tightly. He kissed my cheek. “I always knew I would see you again.”

“But I’m different than the last time you saw me. I’m not the same person.”

“I’d recognize your spirit anywhere. You’re my Luke but I see now that you were always much more. There’s someone here that wants to see you.”

I looked past dad to see my mom. Tears fell from my eyes as she ran to me and hugged me tightly. “There you are, my sweet one. I’ve longed to see you so much.”

She pulled back, held one of my hands in hers, and let her other hand stroke my face.

“You’re so beautiful. Now I understand why you couldn’t ever commit to anyone. I see you’ve found your soul mate, your one true love like I did with your dad. Your face shines with goodness, kindness, and love.”

“I’ve found him, mom, but if I’m here with you…”

“Don’t you fret, sweetheart. It’s not your time. We’ll see you again one day. We love you.”

Dad wrapped his arms around us both.

“I love you both so much.”

Mom and dad started to walk away from me, but mom turned back. “There are others that wish to see you. Don’t be in a hurry to return to us. We’re fine.”

The light swallowed my Earthly parents but gave something else back. Two people, a man and a woman stepped towards me. The woman was beautiful and had long brunette hair and the man was tall and handsome. They crushed me to them in a firm and warm embrace.

“Remember…”

Suddenly, it was as if a wall in my mind was taken away. Memories were unlocked and rushed forth like a bursting dam. I took a step back and while I had suspected these were my real parents, I now knew for certain. I remembered them.

“Mother! Father!”

I fell once again into their arms. Mother caressed my long hair just like she did so many years ago. They held me tight and kissed my forehead.

“We never meant for any of this to happen, our beloved daughter. We’ve felt the pain and confusion that you’ve suffered. You will be the greatest High Priestess the Amaru Meru has ever known. You’ll never know just how proud we are of you or how much we love you.”

“I can’t be High Priestess. I have too much darkness in me.”

“This is not a place for someone filled with evil and darkness, Aila. You have found balance. Our time here is short. We love you, Aila.”

“When will I see you again?”

“When your time is done, but that won’t be for a very long time yet.”

They started to drift away, and I reached for them. “I love you!”

The light wrapped around them and I was alone once again, but this time, I didn’t feel alone anymore.

***

I woke in a state of blissful warmth, a feeling of complete safety, and, while drained, no torment or internal struggles churned within me. Sharian’s face was next to mine and his body draped over me. I moved my hands to his face and kissed him. “My beloved, Sharian.”

His eyes shot open. “Aila.”

“I hope your not done with me yet. Something happened. My magic has balanced and there’s no more pain or pull towards the darkness. I think you’re stuck with me.”

“That’s the best news I’ve ever heard. I thought I lost you.”

“I think you saved me. Since I hadn’t ascended yet I was still susceptible to changes in my magic. When you…” I smiled. “When you made love to me… You infused me with Lioca magic, bringing balance to me.”

“You’re certain?”

“I’m still depleted and weak, but I feel the magic balanced within me.”

“Of course, your weak. You haven’t eaten anything for days.”

“Days?”

“Your ascension is tomorrow.”

I reached for the necklace, but it wasn’t there. “Where’s the necklace?”

“I have it here. You were wearing it when you levelled the place and Beor came to get us out of the temple.”

I sat up but felt a little woozy. Sharian sat up next to me and protectively wrapped his arm around my shoulders. On a stand near the bed was the ring necklace.

“I don’t remember much. I’m sorry I left you, Sharian. The necklace, it called to me and while I had power, I felt secure enough to get it back on my own. When I found Vikold’s room and the necklace…” I reached a hand to the right side of my neck. “Vikold appeared behind me and I felt incredible pain in my neck. After that, I only remember fragments. The darkness was overwhelming. I had no control of myself. I didn’t even know who I was.”

“The bite of a Nakco is extremely powerful. No one has ever broken free of their control before.”

“How were you there?”

“When I woke and found you missing, I knew immediately where you had gone and Beor was waiting for me outside. I snuck into the Earth gate temple but was captured. Two days later I was dragged into the gate room to find you there under Vikold’s control. Somehow you broke free long enough to call Beor and send the Viangi flying in all directions. I grabbed you and Beor took us back here to the dragon temple. That was days ago.”

“Days… Do you know what happened to the Viangi in the temple?”

“I’m fairly certain they were all alive, just unconscious.”

“Vikold will be upset. I wonder what he is up to now.”

“Like me, he either felt you would fall into darkness or die. I don’t think he considered what making love to a Lioca would do to you.”

I slipped my hand into his and laid my head on his shoulder. “I know what it did to me… I guess we’re married now?”

“Spiritually, magically, and physically. Let me get you something to eat.”

“That would be great, because it’s the physical aspect of those three that I need the most help. Food, a bath, and you and not necessarily in that order.”

***

I walked out of the dragon temple bedroom feeling mostly restored. The smile on my lips might never go away and it would take a few days of sustenance before I was one hundred percent. I would also be forever grateful for the builders of these magnificent structures for their baths would be the envy of any five-star hotel on Earth.

Beor was waiting for me and I walked up to him and wrapped my arms around his thick, scaled neck.

“Thank you, Beor. That’s three times you’ve saved me.”

“It is a selfish habit of mine. Of course, if you were to die, I would not be around much longer myself.”

“You’re not growing tired of me yet?”

“I have not had so much fun in many years. Are you ready for your ascension, Aila?”

“I thought I just had to wear the necklace at the right moment.”

“There is more to it than that. You must travel to the Temple of Ascension and there, before witnesses, you will ascend. You might wish to change your clothes as the ones you are wearing look rather worn.”

I looked down at my white dress and indeed, it was quite dirty. “You don’t happen to know here I could find a replacement, do you?”

“You can magically create one yourself, however, you might wish to choose from one of the outfits in the Dragon Temple’s wardrobe. We dragon’s have no need for such refinement.”

“That‘s right, Beor. You’re very handsome already. I can magically create a dress…” I smiled and thought of how I produced a flower, but when a blob of cloth appeared at my feet and I held it up I knew I hadn’t done a very good job.

“It helps if one knows exactly what they want before they create something.”

“I thought I did. Where’s the wardrobe?”

***

My magically created dress was quite the failure, but I didn’t give myself too hard a time about it. After all, I don’t have a lifetime of experience being a woman and wearing such clothes. I was proud that I was able to create a pile of material though.

I wasn’t sure how long the clothes in the wardrobe had been around. Having spoken with Beor, it had to be many, many years since humans came here last. I spent some time scrolling through ascension archives until I spotted an outfit I liked. I then looked through several dozen dresses until I found something similar. With a few careful magical adjustments after I put it on, I was impressed by what I saw in the mirror.

I made my way back to the bedroom and to an anxious Sharian. One look at the new me having bathed and changed into a stunning golden and glittery gown, and Sharian’s anxiety vanished. Throw out all the magical power I had, and I would still be able to control Sharian just by looks alone. I loved this about being a woman.

“You’re breathtaking, Aila. Where did you find that dress?”

“There is a closet filled with clothes here, but you may wish for my protection as the dragons are looking hungry.”

“I look like a peasant compared to you.”

I snuggled up to Sharian. “You look like the most handsome man in the world to me.”

“Mmmm. I could get used to having you around to boost my ego.”

“I’m getting pretty adept at magical things too.”

“Really? Show me.”

I took his hand in mine. “This may feel a little weird the first few times.”

In the blink of an eye we were standing on the edge of the Dragon Temple looking down on the river below. Sharian gasped.

“That was incredible… and dangerous. Another inch…”

I frowned. “Concentration is really important. I was thinking of taking us to the clothes closet but thought about seeing you in a swimsuit in the last second. We veered a little towards the river. Let me try again…”

In an instant we were standing at the wardrobe.

“Aha! I did it!”

“I think I may need some new underclothes. How are you doing that?”

“Beor showed me. I asked how he could find us so quickly when I called to him and he showed me. It’s all part of dragon magic.”

“I had no idea.”

“I can also do dragon fire and…” I rose myself up off the ground a little. “I think with practice, I can fly. Dragons aren’t designed to fly. Their wingspans aren’t enough to lift them for proper flight. They use magic to enhance their abilities.”

“You’re enjoying this too much.”

I put on a contrite face. “I have a new lease on life. I’m married to the most wonderful man alive. And I can teleport myself and fly. I see nothing not to enjoy.”

Sharian pressed my back up against the wall. He was about to kiss me when I looked over his shoulder and flicked my fingers towards a dragon creeping our way. “Shoo!” I turned back to Sharian, smiled and kissed him.

Sharian teased me. “You just wait until I get you to a place where I’m not an appetizer. Then I’ll show you who is in control.”

“You’re already in control of me. Test me.”

“All right. Kiss me.”

I made it look like I was a little dazed. “Yes, Master…” I gave him a sloppy kiss and giggled. “Let’s get you ready for the ball, Cinderella.”

“What ball and who is Cinderella?”

***

The next morning, I opened the necklace and separated the ring from the beads. I put the ring on my right index finger and placed the necklace around my neck as I had seen other High Priestesses do for their ascension.

I felt Sharian’s arms wrap around me from behind. “Are you ready to lead the worlds?”

“Earth would never follow me. I think they would rather nuke me out of existence than follow an alien woman. I don’t know anything about the other worlds and this one has two factions of people, neither of which seem to be interested in me leading them. We could lead a very quiet life.”

“Regardless of the outcome, you will ascend to be our High Priestess. I couldn’t imagine any other person more capable than you.”

“I can’t even teleport us safely.”

“People take years to develop their magical skill. I think it is coming naturally to you.”

“Always the optimist. Just wait until I try to make you some socks.”

***

We flew on Beor to the Temple of Ascension. According to Sharian this place was located centrally between the Viangi and Twuilhe capital cities.

As we climbed down off Beor’s neck, I noted many similarities to the place where I went to be bound to my animal companion. The circular temple platform was built on massive stones and at the edges of the circle twenty-one white pillars arched gracefully into the sky. The temple itself was positioned at the top of a hill and while jungle surrounded the place, two clearly visible roads headed north and south where I would assume they would lead to the capital cities.

“It’s quiet here.”

Sharian was visibly upset and this confused me.

“On any other ascension, people would have flocked here. There would be hundreds of Viangi and Twuilhe. Some would be here for weeks in advance making sure the temple was prepared. I’m sorry, Aila. You deserve better.”

I pulled Sharian close. “It is what it is and if I’m honest, I’m not sure I would be comfortable with hundreds of people anyways.”

“At least some Twuilhe and Viangi should have come to represent the factions.”

“Your ascension will be witnessed by many, Aila.”

Bushes began parting and creatures of all kinds slipped from the jungle to pause at the edges of the temple. Sharian spun around, his eyes wide.

“These are light and dark magic animals. Are you causing this, Aila?”

“They came to be witness to your ascension, to honor the High Priestess.”

“Beor says they have come to witness my ascension.”

I could sense I still had time before the ascension and I felt at peace even though some of the creatures looked quite fierce. Soon dragons began to arrive. Twenty-one of them. They each took a position atop the pillars. I worked my way to the center to get a better feel of the magnitude of what I was seeing.

“I’ve never heard of anything like this happening before, Aila.”

Two people arrived from the north road. I recognized them as Twila and Lucassian. Lucassian smiled and hugged Sharian. “It’s good to see you both well, my friend.” He looked around at the animals and dragons. “Did we miss something?”

“I’m glad the Twuilhe finally came to their senses. Where are the rest?”

“Master Saurel gave orders to the people not to attend. Twila and I decided to disobey. Our short time with High Priestess Aila was enough for us to believe she is worthy.”

“All that’s missing now are representatives of the Viangi.”

“That would be us.”

I spun around to see Syette and Tayodh coming up from the southern road.

I remembered Syette crashing into the wall after Vikold ordered me to hit her. “Syette, I’m so sorry for striking you… I wasn’t…”

“I’m not here to cause trouble, High Priestess Aila. I know you were under the blood curse of Vikold. Seeing how Vikold treated me, I took time to search for the truth and discovered I had been living under a lie. Vikold deceived me. I was wrong to lie to you about your parents, but I was only doing as instructed. How is it that you broke free from Vikold’s curse?”

“My animal companion is a dragon. I think that has much to do with my ability to fight the curse as dragon magic is different. However, it was the love of my mate, Sharian, that ultimately pulled me from the darkness.”

“I didn’t expect you to survive. I ran into Tayodh on the road here. She puts great faith in you. I ask your forgiveness for my part in what was done to you.”

“What of your allegiance to Vikold?”

“I no longer follow him, but I don’t expect you to trust me. Over time, I hope you will.”

I walked over to Syette and stared into her eyes. They were no longer dark and filled with anger, but they were moist with sadness. “I forgive you, Syette.”

I hugged Tayodh before hugging Twila and Lucassian. “I’m sorry if I’m not the High Priestess everyone was expecting.”

Sharian came to my side and glanced cautiously at Syette. “Nonsense, High Priestess Aila. You’re exactly what we need in this strange age we live. It’s time. Take your place in the center of the temple.”

I clung to Sharian another moment and kissed him before walking to the center. Everyone, including Beor, moved back to the edges of the platform. I stood alone and contemplated all that had transpired up to this point in my life. Closing my eyes, I saw the face of my Earthly mom.

“You’re destined for great things, but true greatness comes from humility.”

I dropped to my knees as I felt the first tears fall from my cheeks.

“What is she doing?” I could hear Syette, but I was too focused on what I was seeing with my eyes closed.

My Earthly dad appeared to me next. “Leadership is not using your power to influence, but in knowing that while you have power you choose to lead by example.”

My biological father then appeared. “Unity is not the absence of disagreement but in the willingness to listen to opposing viewpoints.”

My mother was the last to appear to me. “My darling, Aila. Don’t worry that you won’t live up to other’s expectations, for the worlds have chosen you to lead them. While you may doubt yourself, know you’re everything that is needed. I believe in you, my cherished daughter.”

As the words of my biological and Earthly parents sunk in, a new confidence rose up within me. I knew I didn’t have to be anything other than myself. A woman. A wife. A friend. My contentment came from within and not from what others thought of me.

I stood to my feet and opened my eyes. I focused on Sharian and smiled as the necklace and ring began to glow. I didn’t even have to think about what I wanted to do, but I rose up from the temple floor to hover a few feet above the ground. Rays of light, one from each of the twenty-one pillars poured into me. When the light stopped, I lowered myself back to the ground to see everyone fall to their knees before me.

I rushed over to them. “No! Please, no!” I pulled them up one by one. “I’m not to be worshipped or bowed down to.”

When they were all standing, I fell to my knees before them. “This is the way it should be. I’m a servant of the people.”

Sharian and Syette both reached for me at the same time and pulled me to my feet.

Syette took my hand in hers and pulled the back of it to her forehead. “Had I not seen this for myself, I would have never believed it; that our High Priestess would kneel at our feet is beyond my comprehension. For clearly, you have more power than any High priestess before you and could easily be rid of us all. I promise my faithfulness and loyalty to you, High Priestess Aila.”

Syette took a step back and Sharian cupped my face with his hands and kissed me. His kiss made me flush with warmth.

“You are, indeed, the High Priestess of the worlds. I’m honored to call you my wife.”

“No more honored than I am to call you my husband.”

Lucassian nudged Sharian. “I knew we missed something! Master Saurel should have been here. They all should have been here. I think they were still in shock over a dragon busting through the roof.”

Tayodh stepped forward and curtsied. “I would be honored to be your aid, High Priestess Aila.”

I smiled and hugged Tayodh. “Thank you, but I might have something better in store for you.”

“What could be better than serving the High Priestess?”

“When the right time comes, Tayodh, you will know.”

Twila stepped forward. “Then perhaps you would wish that I serve you?”

“For now, for all of you, excluding Sharian who is my beloved husband, I would only ask for your friendship as long as I’m deserving of it. And please, call me Aila.”

Each one stepped up to me and took my hand. “It would be an honor to call you friend, Aila.”

I would never forget as one by one the creatures of Amaru Meru tipped their heads and slipped back into the jungle. The dragons flew up and made their way back towards the Valley of the Chosen. I had a deep sense of joy as I looked over each of my newfound friends. I watched with a smile on my face as Lucassian wrestled with Sharian playfully. Beor’s massive head came over my shoulder and I reached to stroke his scaled cheek. I was enjoying this moment.

Sharian turned my way and his eyes went from happiness to concern as they shifted their focus to my necklace. I glanced down to see one of the beads glowing and my ring was as well. I could sense what was happening.

“The gateway to Earth just opened.”

***

I was afraid of what this might mean. How can the Earth gate be opened without the ring and necklace or the right celestial events?

“It must be Vikold. Syette, did you know he could do this or what his plans are?”

“For many years he has been trying to find a way to open the gates. He has attempted to open them many times. Before you came, I believe he wanted to go to Earth to find you, now, I have no idea what is motivating him.”

“Whatever it is, it can’t be good.”

“I think I could get to the gate magically, but I’m not sure it’s wise to go alone.”

Sharian and Lucassian came forward. “We’ll go with you.”

“I can go as well.”

I looked at Syette and wasn’t certain I could fully trust her yet. “Whatever Vikold is planning, I’m going to need support from the Viangi. I’d appreciate it if you and Tayodh could go to the Viangi capital and try to persuade them that the Twuilhe and I are not threats.”

“Twila. I need you to do the same for the Twuilhe.”

They nodded and left leaving Beor, Lucassian, and Sharian with me. “Beor. I’ll call you if I need you.”

Beor flew off and vanished in a flash of light. I wondered when I teleported if I did the same.

I gathered Sharian and Lucassian together and glanced back at my necklace. The bead representing the Earth gate and my ring had stopped glowing. “Whatever Vikold did, the gate wasn’t open very long. Let’s get over there.”

Placing a hand on each of them, I willed us to the Earth gate temple.

***

The world vanished and then reappeared before us. The last time I was here I was in little state to see what was left of the temple after my magic exploded outward and Beor crashed his way in. There were large stones and debris littered across the tiled floors. At first glance, the room was empty.

A small cry sounded from our left and out of the shadows Vikold stepped forward with a rather disheveled looking blonde woman in his grasp. I recognized her right away. It was Samantha.

“Let her go, Vikold.”

Vikold kept Samantha tight against him. “I thought you would be dead by now.”

“For all your attempts at turning and killing me, you never succeeded. Let her go and I’ll let you live.”

Vikold laughed. “You can’t harm me. The Nakco blood curse still flows in your veins.”

“Are you certain you want to test your theory?”

Vikold looked from me to Sharian and Lucassian before biting Samantha on her neck and pushing her forward towards us. Samantha began screaming and I knew the kind of pain she was going through. I reached for her as she slumped to the floor.

“Let him go. We have bigger problems.”

Samantha was convulsing on the floor as I faced the Earth gate. I stretched forth my hand and sealed the gate. Only the ring and necklace could open it again.

“I’ve sealed the gate for now. Let’s get Samantha to the Dragon Temple.”

“Who is Samantha?”

“I know this woman from Earth.”

Lucassian gently lifted the now unconscious Samantha up into his arms. Seconds later we were standing in the Dragon Temple.

“Wow… This is quite the place.”

“Take her into the bedroom and lie her down on the bed. You need to stay close to me Lucassian.”

“Why?”

Sharian guided Lucassian into the bedroom. “Because if you don’t, you’ll be dragon food.”

Lucassian laid Samantha on the bed and stepped back. I reached down and tenderly stroked her face. “I’m sorry you got pulled into this, Samantha.”

I turned to Sharian. “If Samantha responds like the way I responded, then she should sleep for a few days. We need to find a way to counter the Nakco curse.”

“How do you know her?”

“She… She was my girlfriend back on Earth.”

“Your girlfriend?”

I spun away from Sharian and Lucassian to hide my embarrassment. “When I was sent to Earth, I was transformed into a boy. You know this.”

Sharian’s voice grew slightly agitated. “You and her…?”

I turned back to face him. “No. We never… I was confused. I cared for her, but I can’t say that I loved her. Every time I had a dream, I woke questioning myself. I was never able to give my heart to anyone.”

Sharian hugged me tight and kissed me. “You don’t have to explain. I believe you for I know we could never have what we have had you ever given your heart to someone else. How did Vikold know about her?”

I paced back and forth. “I don’t know. The gate wasn’t open very long. He only had time to travel to Earth and come back. I’m guessing he was testing his ability and by some random chance, Samantha must have been there on the other side. Knowing that I care for the people of Earth, I can imagine Vikold thought he had something to bargain with and simply grabbed her.”

Lucassian looked at Samantha. “It was probably part of his test to see if he could bring someone back through the gate. Even infecting Samantha might be something he had planned all along.”

“For what purpose?”

“People. Followers. Technology. If you want power, the Nacko curse could be used to get access to all of that. The people of Earth, with no magic, would be easy targets.”

I paced back and forth. “How do we negate the Nakco curse?”

Sharian put his hand on my shoulder. “I understand you care for her, but she may be lost.”

“I don’t accept that. How can the Amaru Meru create an orb that can regenerate a High Priestess or a collar that can absorb magic?”

“Those are ancient technologies.”

“Then it’s a good thing we’re in an archive filled with ancient information. Lucassian, please stay with Samantha.”

***

We had spent an entire day researching and the result was rather frustrating.

“Is it really this simple, Sharian?”

“Simple for you, not the rest of us.”

“Everything we have seen indicates that the High Priestess magically created these objects. There’s no spell, no special formula.”

“In some ways, it makes sense. If anyone could create an object that could regenerate a High Priestess, then you would think that High Priestesses would have been assassinated in the past. The creating of the orb was done by a High Priestess. I think you just need to concentrate on making an object that will remove the Nakco curse.”

“Why do I even need an object? I’m certain I can simply use my magic to destroy the curse in Samantha.” I growled. “I’m so stupid. All this power…”

“But now you know, Aila. This knowledge truly unlocks your full capabilities.”

I frowned as I moved into the bedroom and sat next to Samantha. I looked back at Sharian and Lucassian. “This may have negative consequences.”

Sharian looked at me questioningly. “How so?”

“You just have to know Samantha… Here goes nothing.”

I felt the sparks of my magic dance between my fingers. Looking down on the peaceful sleeping face of Samantha, I closed my eyes and focused on destroying the Nakco curse. My hand moved towards her heart and paused. I concentrated on the release from bondage, the freedom from the curse, and then I touched her skin.

Samantha’s body jumped on the bed as if I had used electric paddles to start her heart. I waited an impossibly long minute when suddenly Samantha’s eyes opened.

Her voice was weak and strained. “I must have had too much to drink last night. Who are you?”

I noted she was speaking English and it took a little effort for me to switch. “I’m Aila. What do you remember?”

Lucassian brought a glass of water and I helped Samantha take a sip.

“I came here to Peru to find Luke, my old boyfriend. I went from hotel to hotel until finally someone said they had a room registered to him, but they were upset because he never checked out. Then I happened to overhear a motorcycle rental guy complaining about a man that rented a motorcycle and left it at the Gate of the Gods. I remember Luke mentioning this site before, so I went there hoping I might find some clue as to what happened to him. That’s when some weird stuff happened.”

“Weird stuff?”

“I’m certain it was all a dream. I dreamt I was sitting there looking at this big, useless piece of carved stone when suddenly the whole thing lit up like a million light bulbs had turned on. This strange guy appears, looks around, grabs me and takes me away to a broken-down stone building. There were other people there… Wait. You were all there.”

Samantha tried to push herself up, but I put my hand on her shoulder to keep her down.

“Samantha, I need you to breathe. Take a deep breath and then I’ll help you up.”

She stared at me but took a breath and I eased her up into a sitting position. She looked from me to Sharian and to Lucassian and then around the room. She started breathing rapidly then grabbed her neck where Vikold had bitten her. “This isn’t real!”

“Shhhh. Calm yourself. You were looking for Luke Williams.”

“Yes! You know him?”

“I do, actually.”

Samantha looked me over carefully and sighed. “I knew there must be someone else. God, you’re gorgeous. No wonder.”

“It’s not like that, Samantha.”

“Wait? How do you know my name? Where is Luke? Where am I? Did you kidnap me? Where’s my phone?”

I touched Samantha on her forehead and used a little magic to put her to sleep before I laid her back down. I stood and took Sharian and Lucassian to the side.

“This is going to be hard for her, but the good news is it looks like the curse is gone. She doesn’t know where she is. I could take her back to Earth, but there’s another problem.”

“What is the problem?”

“She’s not quite ten of our years old and when Vikold bit her, his magic infused her. Although the curse is gone, there is a very good chance she is going to come of age and try to gather magic. It’s as if she was magically awakened.”

Sharian looked concerned. “So, if she were to go back and have her coming of age what would happen?”

“My guess is as good as any, but I suspect she might die. Earth has no magic for her to draw. I think we must keep her here at least until she comes of age.”

Lucassian stared at Samantha. “I can look after her.”

Sharian laughed. “I’m sure you would like that.”

Lucassian blushed. “She’s not anything like Aila… I mean she’s pretty. Not as beautiful as Aila, but still pretty.”

I laughed. “That might be just what she needs.”

***

I leaned over Samantha and pushed her hair from her eyes. A slight bit of magic caused her to stir. “Good morning, Samantha.”

Samantha’s eyes opened slowly. “Hmm. You again?”

“We have a lot to discuss.”

Samantha’s voice was tinged with anger. “I’m sure. What the hell is going on?”

“There’s no easy way to tell you, I think it’s best to show you.”

Sharian was sitting not too far away. “This will go over well.” He smiled as he said it.

“Let’s get you up.”

“What did that man say? What language is that?”

“It’s the language of the Amara Meru.”

“Amaru what?”

“You’re going to need some food, but I think that should wait until I give you the grand tour.”

I guided Samantha over to the doorway that led into the Dragon Temple. I opened it and walked her through.

“This place is called the Dragon Temple. It’s a library of sorts, but it is also protected by dragons.”

“Enough with the jokes. Where am I?”

Beor walked in from the outside platform and came over to us.

Samantha was shaking and almost ready to pass out. “That’s…”

“A dragon. His name is Beor.” I reached up and stroked his cheek. “He’s my animal companion. Sharian, the man in the bedroom, is my husband.”

Samantha was in shock, but she was still speaking which was a good sign.

“This doesn’t look like Earth.”

“You’re right, it isn’t.” I guided her to the outside platform so we could look down on the river and jungle below. The twin suns and two moons were all visible. “Welcome to Amaru Meru.”

***

What transpired over the next four hours was a great deal of explanation. I told Samantha about the gateway to Earth, about Vikold, and even about magic. As she began to realize the enormity of her situation, she began to get introspective and her questions became much more personal.

“You say I was infused with magic by Vikold’s bite and you think I might be a witch now?”

I smiled. “No. All the people of Amaru Meru have magic. Your twenty-fifth birthday is coming up soon, isn’t it?”

“How do you know this?”

I took Samantha back inside the temple and waved my hand towards the stone wall. There was an image of a little girl with her parents. “That little girl is me and behind her is the gate to Earth that you came through. Watch closely.”

“The girl changed into a boy and then he went through the gate.”

“Yes. Those were my parents and they used their magic to hide me and protect me.”

“Why?”

“Because the man, Vikold, wished to control me so he could destroy an entire faction of people. You’ll see next that he attacked, and my parents defended the gate until it closed. Unfortunately, in defending me and the gate, they were killed.”

“You appeared on Earth as a little boy?”

“Yes. I grew up on Earth.”

Samantha was very silent for a long time, but I allowed her time to process things.

“You said you knew Luke Williams. He has a story about being found at the Gate of the Gods and adopted by his parents.”

“I am Luke Williams, Samantha.”

“But… no… This can’t be.”

***

It took another few hours to prove to Samantha that I was Luke. It was a long and difficult conversation, but she slowly began to understand all of it.

“That’s why you struggled to commit to me. It wasn’t me at all.”

I didn’t have the heart to tell her that it was also her.

“What a trip. So, you went to Peru and felt called to go to the gate on the winter solstice and you came through to this world?”

“Yes. In the process of passing through the gate, the spell that hid me as a male, completed and I landed here as you see me now.”

“Unbelievable. You must have been so frightened.”

“I was. I thought I was dreaming.”

“And Sharian is your husband?”

I blushed. “Yes.”

“How can you go from being a male on Earth to a woman here and suddenly being married?”

“I know it may sound strange, but when I was a young girl, Sharian was magically chosen for me. It doesn’t feel weird or strange. I was born female and all my life I felt like there was something else for me, a different role, and even someone else waiting for me.”

“This all makes sense now; how you struggled with commitment and why you felt like you weren’t on the right path.”

“You mentioned you came to Peru to find me. Why?”

“I did a lot of soul searching after you left. At first, I was angry with you, but then I took some time to assess myself. I hadn’t realized how broken I was; how manipulative. I didn’t like how I left things with you and I needed closure. I came to apologize and to see if there was any chance we could be together.”

“And now?”

“The Luke I knew no longer exists and I’m on another planet. It’s a lot to absorb. What I don’t understand is why Vikold wanted to control you.”

I sighed. “That’s another lengthy discussion and I need to spend time with Sharian. Let me introduce you to Lucassian., but first you need to learn our language.”

I reached out and touched Samantha’s forehead.

“Can you understand me?”

“I can… Wow. You could make millions on Earth with that trick. If I get magic, will I be able to do that?”

“That depends of your level of magic and your focus abilities.”

Samantha had many more questions, but I led her back to Lucassian.

“Lucassian, meet Samantha. I hope you can help answer some of Samantha’s questions and she needs some food.”

“I’m happy to help.”

I slipped into Sharian’s arms as I watched Lucassian lead Samantha towards a balcony.

“How did that go, Aila?”

“I think she will be all right. I’m not so sure about me.”

“What’s the matter?”

“It’s one thing for me to go through and to adapt, but to know others are struggling because of me is hard to deal with. Samantha’s arrival has complicated things. Mentally, I’ve had to go back and assess everything I’ve done.”

“I think I can understand that. You had another life on Earth. To move forward, you had to compartmentalize your thinking and figure out what was happening here. That meant setting aside Earth and people that were close to you.”

“Exactly. Here, I’m Aila and everyone seems to know what I’m supposed to do and be. Trying to explain that to someone from Earth gets really complicated, especially when that person knew me as Luke Williams. Do you think Lucassian and Samantha will be all right here by themselves for a bit?”

“You want to leave them?”

“I’d like to repair the temple and the throne room of Yalshema and hopefully learn more about what Vikold is up to.”

“How long do you think that might take?”

“Overnight. I was hoping we could find a room somewhere.”

Sharian smiled. “I’ll go check with Lucassian and make sure he doesn’t wander too far. If I know Lucassian, which I do, he seems rather taken with Samantha.”

***

The temple with the Earth gate was very quiet. I had learned much about how my magic worked and repairing the temple wall and roof was a simple matter of me visualizing how it was supposed to be and letting my magic flow. I watched as large stones rose up and fitted themselves back into place and this made me remember the scenes of High Priestesses on Earth raising monuments.

While I repaired the temple, Sharian looked to see if he could find anything that would indicate Vikold’s plans. He returned to the main temple just as I was finishing the repairs.

“The place is cleaned out. Maybe we’ll find out more at Yalshema.”

“It would be nice to simply take a boat ride down the river again, but we promised Lucassian and Samantha we would be back tomorrow morning. Are you ready?”

“I’m ready for a room and a bed. Let’s hope this time we receive a better welcome.”

I wrapped my arms around Sharian and kissed him. “This time we stay together.”

***

The throne room in Yalshema had been vacant when we arrived, and I quickly made the repairs to the roof before the two of us explored the city. The city was strangely vacant, and it wasn’t until we walked into the residential area that we saw anyone.

“High Priestess Aila! Master Sharian!”

We turned to see a woman running towards us. “Twila. It’s good to see you. Where is everyone?”

“You’ve not heard?”

“We’ve been rather busy.”

“Vikold has mobilized his Viangi army. They were spotted heading north of the Viangi capital city. Master Saurel gathered the Twuilhe. There is going to be a war.”

Sharian spoke what I was thinking. “They must have left recently. Assuming Vikold had a head start then the armies would come together near the Markan fields as early as tomorrow.”

“Between Vikold and Saurel, I get the feeling there will be much bloodshed. What happened during the Great Culling? How were the Twuilhe killed?”

“Vikold caught them off guard. He attacked the Twuilhe in small groups making sure his Viangi were killing them all before they could heal. With both armies fully aware of each other, the Viangi will cause destruction while the Twuilhe will rebuild and heal. It will be a painful standoff.”

“Then why attack?”

“I’m guessing Vikold believes he can take the Twuilhe off guard again.”

“Let’s get back to the dragon temple. I think I might have an idea.”

***

It was only seconds after arriving at the temple when Samantha started asking more questions.

“Is it true?”

“Is what true, Samantha?”

“Lucassian explained to me why Vikold wanted to control you. You’re like the President but for an entire world.”

Sharian clarified things for her. “She’s High Priestess over twenty-two worlds. Twenty-one, plus this one. Although most of the other worlds, like Earth, would not recognize her.”

“Oh my God. You’re like Queen of the Universe.”

I sighed. “And I was wondering if being a doctor would have been too much. Give me a few moments.”

I walked out into the Dragon Temple and called to Beor.

The others stayed at the door to the bedroom, but I felt their eyes on me as the massive dragon landed and came to me.

“I have a request of you, my friend.”

***

When I returned to the bedroom and after Beor had flown off, I was inundated with more questions.

“I still can’t believe you’re Queen of the Universe. How do I get a dragon?”

“It’s not that simple, Samantha.”

Sharian touched my cheek with his hand. “What are you planning, Aila?”

“A third army to hold everyone at bay until I can get the Viangi and Twuilhe leaders to talk. I’m just not sure you will like what I’m thinking.”

***

The next morning, I led the others from the bedroom and out onto the Dragon Temple platform.

“While the dragons have agreed, they won’t necessarily be happy about it.”

Beor landed as did three other large dragons.

“Stay here a moment.”

I went to Beor and stroked his cheek before addressing the other dragons.

“These are my friends. Please don’t eat them.”

“They know this is as important to them as it is to the people of Amaru Meru, Aila.”

“Sharian. Come here, please.” I waited until Sharian came to my side. A large red dragon shifted uneasily next to me. “Sharian, this is Ukar. He will lead one half of the dragons. Be safe, my love.”

“I will.”

Sharian climbed up onto the dragon’s neck as I moved over to another large dragon. “Lucassian.”

“You’re certain about this, Aila?”

The dragon stretched his neck out and sniffed Lucassian.

“They want to help us. Gondyr, this is Lucassian. You and Bivalth will lead the other half of the dragons.”

Lucassian quickly climbed up onto the dragon’s neck leaving a medium sized female dragon without someone. I waved to Samantha.

“Your turn, Samantha.”

Samantha moved to my side and bravely stretched out her hand towards the gray dragon.

“She’s beautiful.”

“With the exception of Sharian and me, you will be the first person to ever ride one of these creatures. Bivalth, this is Samantha. You both will fly next to Lucassian and Gondyr.”

“This is a great privilege, Aila.”

I helped Samantha up onto the dragon before giving final instructions.

“Lock your feet under their shoulder scales and hang on tight. You’re not flying them, rather they are merely carrying you. I’ll be communicating to them through Beor.”

I walked over to Beor and climbed up onto his neck.

“I’m as ready as I’ll ever be.”

Beor thrust his wings down and we rose rapidly into the sky, a sky almost black from the large numbers of dragons flying all around us. We flew slightly southwest towards the Markan fields. Beor and I arrived before the others to assess the situation.

To the south were thousands of Viangi and to the north of the fields were slightly fewer Twuilhe. We had arrived just in time as it appeared as if the two armies were getting ready to rush across the fields at each other.

Beor and I dove between the two armies and Beor let out a blast of fire before we landed in the very center of the fields between both armies. Behind us, thousands of dragons dropped from the skies. Lucassian and Samantha’s dragons led their half of the dragons to line up and face the Twuilhe while Sharian and his dragon did the same opposing the Viangi. From my perspective, the dragons did much to stop the advance of the two armies.

Dismounting, I concentrated on a design and the ground began to churn at my feet. The grasses and flowers parted, and a mass of circular stone erupted around me. It rose up and created a stone platform with three symmetrical spires rising above the rest.

Ukar, Gondyr, and Bivalth landed behind Beor and Sharian, Lucassian, and Samantha joined me on the stone surface of my newly made temple.

“That’s a pretty impressive entrance, Aila.”

“Let’s hope it has the right impact, Sharian.”

“Beor, have the dragons move aside for the Viangi and Twuilhe leaders to pass through to come to meet me here.”

We watched as the dragons in front of Vikold and Saurel shifted to the side. The intent was clear, and it didn’t take long for Vikold and five of the Viangi leaders to boldly step forward even as their eyes betrayed their fear of the dragons. Saurel followed suit with his leaders.

When they were halfway to my new temple, I rose up into the air so that everyone could clearly see me. I could hear the shouts of awe from the gathered armies and Vikold and Saurel stopped their approach. Using a little magical enhancement, I spoke to everyone.

“For those of you that have not met me yet, I’m Aila, your chosen High Priestess. In the absence of a High Priestess, many atrocities took place. I’m not here today to assess blame, but to seek unity for all the people of Amara Meru.”

I paused to let that sink in before continuing.

“I’m not on the side of the Viangi, nor the Twuilhe, but on both of your sides. From what I have learned, I’m unique. I’m different than any other High Priestess that has come before me. My animal companion is a dragon, and this has granted me access to the magic of dragons. I’ve also been touched by extremes of dark and light magic, from Nakco to Lioca. My power is vastly greater than any High Priestess. I don’t tell you these things as a threat, but rather to let you know I can stop this war if I chose to. As you can see, I also have the support of the dragons.”

“I’m here today to tell you the truth. We are one people of two factions separated by our magical disciplines. Dark and light magic are not evil and good, but necessary opposites to each other. Evil, exists in everyone, including your leaders. It is evil that causes us to believe that the destruction of the Twuilhe or Viangi would set us free, but the reality is that the destruction of either would mean the destruction of all, for balance must be maintained.”

“I will now meet with the Twuilhe and Viangi leadership, but the decision to go to war this day, isn’t theirs alone, it’s all of yours. If you choose to fight, knowing the destruction of who you think is your enemy will ultimately destroy yourselves, then so be it. I will withdraw the dragons, leave to another world, and let you fight. It’s your choice, not mine, for I won’t lead a people bent on destruction of themselves.”

I lowered myself back to the ground and watched as close to three quarters of both armies turned and walked away. That was a good start.

Vikold and Saurel were fuming mad as they both led their leaders the rest of the way to the temple platform.

I was surprised when Saurel spoke first.

“This is an outrage! No High Priestess has ever intervened in such a blatant disregard to the social order and in such a vulgar display of magic. I denounce you, Aila.”

“Master Saurel. Whether or not you accept me as High Priestess know that I have ascended and am the High Priestess. What’s lurking in your heart that you would have such a negative reaction to me? Could it be that you wished me to side with the Twuilhe? That you wished me to exterminate all the Viangi?”

“The Viangi should pay for their actions in the Great Culling and any real High Priestess would support that.”

“Really? You think I should randomly kill some ten thousand Viangi, leaving widows and orphans in my wake, causing the same suffering that the Great Culling caused on the Twuilhe? Evil acts do not require an evil response.”

Vikold stood there with his arms crossed and a smug smile on his face.

“Is this the consensus of all the Twuilhe leadership? Am I wrong? Am I unworthy to be High Priestess?”

That shut them up for the moment. I turned to face Vikold.

“And you, Vikold? I believe your motivation has been clear all along. You tried to turn me towards the darkness to control me so that you could use me to destroy the Twuilhe because you knew that without the element of surprise, the Viangi couldn’t eradicate the Twuilhe.”

Vikold took a step towards me. Everyone around me tensed, including Beor.

“You think you understand my motivation, but you’re a naïve little girl lacking knowledge. You think your parents sent you through the gate for your protection, but it was to spare them the shame of raising a defective High Priestess. It was an honor to kill them for the glory of Amaru Meru.”

The images of my parents burning at the hands of Vikold and the Viangi gave rise to great anger within me. Magic sparked between my fingertips.

Vikold smiled. “You can’t even control yourself. You’re a disgrace. You can’t kill me, Aila. I own you. I created you and now I will prove it to everyone by killing you.”

I could both feel and see the massive magical energy Vikold was building in himself. Red magic danced across his hands as he raised them towards me.

***

I braced myself for Vikold’s attack; time slowed to a crawl. I could see the hatred in his eyes and his intent was clear. My magic rose up within me to protect myself. I considered a preemptive attack, but even that was halted when a massive golden head stretched over my shoulder and bit Vikold into two pieces. I could hear the crunching of bones and a second bite finished what was left of him.

In shock, I looked back at Beor. I swear he was grinning like a puppy that had just torn apart a slipper.

“A dragon has to eat sometime, Aila.”

“So much for diplomacy. Beor.”

Beor seemed to shrug. “Vikold didn’t seem too interested in diplomacy and Nakcos are quite tasty.”

I sighed. “You have something in your teeth.”

Turning back to the aghast group, I noticed something quite strange. Saurel grabbed his throat, shook violently, and fell to the ground dead.

Sharian stepped forward and pulled Saurel’s clothing to the side to expose a scarred bite on his neck. “This is a Nakco bite. Master Saurel was under Vikold’s control and when Vikold died, so did Saurel. We should check the archives, but I wouldn’t hesitate to offer the theory that Saurel had fallen to Vikold’s Nakco blood curse years before the Great Culling. Vikold could have masterminded everything, including Master Saurel’s dislike of our High Priestess. I believe we owe it to ourselves to all take a step back from our hatred and fear of one another and investigate if perhaps we have all be misled.”

There were many nods of approval.

“I want you all to know that I didn’t order Beor to…” What are the right words? Swallow? Feast upon? “…ingest Vikold. My question to all of you remaining is where do you now put your allegiance?”

Possibly it was the shock and awe of Beor’s protection of me, or even that I had shown magical abilities beyond anything they had witnessed before, but one by one the remaining Viangi and Twuilhe leaders knelt at my feet stating the following.

“As witnessed by those around me, I acknowledge Aila as my High Priestess.”

When that was complete, one of the Viangi leaders stepped forward. “What would you have of us, High Priestess?”

“Go home to your families. In two weeks, I would ask the Viangi and Twuilhe leaders to return here at this temple, the Temple of Peace and Truth. I ask that Syette and Tayodh as well as Lucassian and Twila also come to that meeting.”

They all nodded and walked back to what was left of their armies.

Turning back to Beor, I stroked his cheek. “Thank you for protecting me and my thanks to all dragon kind. Let them know they are free to leave.”

“You are also one of us, Aila. Never forget that.”

I laughed. “I may be one of you, but I’ll keep my own eating habits if you don’t mind. I’ll take my friends back to Yalshema.”

It was just Samantha, Lucassian, and Sharian left after the dragons had flown away.

Samantha started clapping. “That was awesome! You can fly, Aila! I rode a dragon! There was fire, magic, and Vikold got eaten!”

“I’m actually just grateful you didn’t die like Saurel, Samantha. You were bitten by Vikold too.”

Samantha paled. “I never thought of that. Good thing you were able to get rid of the blood curse.”

“For you and me both. What do you say if Lucassian shows us one of the fancier dinner places in Yalshema? I’m starved.”

Lucassian bowed and extended a hand to Samantha. “Such an esteemed opportunity to take the loveliest of women out to dinner.”

“Wait… How do I pay for food?”

Sharian and Lucassian laughed. “Money means nothing in a society when magic users can create money. They may ask you to clean the dishes though.”

“I’d actually be fine with that. Where to, Lucassian?”

“The residential district.”

A moment later we were all standing in the plaza where we had last met up with Twila. Our arrival hadn’t gone unnoticed and Twila once again rushed out to meet us.

“High Priestess Aila! What news do you have of the war?”

“Averted. Everyone is heading home.”

“That’s wonderful news. I knew you were the right person to be our High Priestess.”

“You might be the only one aside from Sharian that ever thought that. Will you join us for dinner?”

“I would love to, High Priestess!”

***

I leaned back into Sharian’s arms. I found his presence both electrifying and comforting. Dinner had been wonderful, and it was perhaps the first time since my arrival that I felt I could focus my attention on my food and relax long enough to enjoy it.

Twila had taken Samantha to a room near mine and Lucassian escorted them both. That left Sharian and me alone in my old room. I could have replaced my old, small bed with a larger one, or even built a palace somewhere in the countryside, but I didn’t have the heart or energy for it. Sharian’s arms were all the comfort I needed.

“It’s been a challenging few days, Aila.”

“It’s been a challenge since I arrived here.”

“If you could have avoided it all, would you?”

“There are moments I would like to have avoided but there are many good things that have come about. I now know there is life on other worlds. That’s a worldview changer. There’s magic and dragons and for the first time in my life, I’m in love. Had I never come, I would have never known you existed. I would have lived my life as Luke Williams, eventually gotten married without finding true love, had the typical two point five children and a dog, and worked as a doctor in a sterile monolithic hospital. I know I would have been very dissatisfied with my life. Now you’re stuck with me.”

“I couldn’t be happier about that. How can someone have two and a half children?”

***

When morning came, I extracted myself from Sharian’s arms and went to the bathroom. I teased the knots out of my long hair with my fingers and a touch of magic, then adjusted the dress I was wearing since I was still unable to create something from scratch that fit me well or looked decent.

The mirror’s reflection gave me pause as for the first time I saw myself as Aila and a wife. At first glance, I was checking to see if I was presentable for Sharian. It took a moment for me to realize I was no longer staring at a stranger. I had quickly come full circle and knew without a doubt that I was the happiest I had ever been.

Moving back to the small bed, I bent down and kissed Sharian and watched his eyes slowly open.

“You interrupted my dream.”

“Was it a good dream?”

“In my dream, I was about to toss you on the bed and make love to you. Yes… It was a great dream.”

“Dreams are overrated.”

Sharian grabbed me, pulled me on top of him, and rolled me over. My giggling and laughter quickly changed to soft and gentle moans as he began kissing me down my neck.

We took our time pleasing each other without the pressures of impending death, war, ascensions, or blood curses. Our love making was sensual and passionate and when we finally and reluctantly got up to face the day, I couldn’t do anything or go anywhere without leaning into or touching Sharian.

When we met up with Samantha, Lucassian, and Twila later in the morning, it was Samantha that commented on my peaceful glow. It is odd feeling embarrassed and not embarrassed at the same time. I hugged Samantha and it felt like we had become sisters. I did notice something, however.

“Congratulations, Samantha. Today is your awakening. I could feel your spirit open itself to magic. This means that in two days you will be ten of our years old and you will have your gathering.”

“This is better than shoes shopping.”

“Lucassian, do you feel comfortable explaining to Samantha what she can expect?”

He turned to Samantha and smiled. “I’m yours to command, my lady.”

Samantha giggled. “I could get used to this.”

***

Several weeks had passed and it was now time for the Viangi and the Twuilhe meeting. Although it had been a peaceful few weeks, I had certainly not been idle and much had taken place. Samantha, as it turned out, was a Viangi Senal and three days after her gathering, she travelled alone into the Valley of the Chosen to return with a beautiful blue bird as her companion. That particular bird allowed Samantha to focus on water magic, which had pleased her tremendously as she could now make her drinks hotter or colder to her liking.

Today she stood slightly behind me wearing a dazzling dress, a mischievous smile, and a violet flower in her hair. Her hand was clasped around Lucassian’s and the two appeared to be heading in a very romantic direction. Twila stood near Lucassian and I could sense she felt a little out of place with all the dignitaries around.

Even with everything else going on, Sharian and I had managed to find time to travel to Fanglia, the capital city of the Viangi and get to know the incredibly hospitable citizens there. They had been open and receptive to me and many were looking forward to what the future might bring.

I looked over my shoulder and winked to Syette and Tayodh before turning back to the leaders of the Viangi and the Twuilhe and the additional crowd of people that had gathered.

“Thank you all for coming. It was only two weeks ago today that the Viangi and Twuilhe met across these fields from each other with their hearts set upon the destruction of the other. I have spoken to many of you over the past days and I believe there is a desire for peace. Peace, however, can simply mean tolerance and coexistence. I would like to see us go beyond peace and strive for unity. Unity would mean that we celebrate our differences and come together to forge a new vision for not only our world but perhaps others as well.”

One of the Twuilhe leaders spoke out. “What must happen for us to be unified?”

“It starts with forgiveness. I’ve reviewed magical convergence archives of key events of the past ten years. Vikold used his Nakco blood curse to put under his control key people essential to bringing about strife and discord for the sole purpose of elevating himself into a position of ultimate power. I saw that Master Saurel, acting under Vikold’s influence, strategically placed Twuilhe in locations where Vikold could surprise and overwhelm them leading to the Great Culling. If you can believe this to be true, then you know the great people of the Viangi had no real intention to harm the Twuilhe, but rather Vikold manipulated their emotions and misled them into believing lies about the Twuilhe. Understanding the truth is the first step towards forgiveness but forgiveness is always an individual decision.”

One member of the Viangi looked extremely sorrowful. “What if we don’t deserve forgiveness? We killed parents, wives, and children.”

“Then you begin by forgiving yourselves.”

“High Priestess Aila speaks from the heart. For all Vikold and the Viangi have done to her, she could have easily walked away from or destroyed the Viangi.”

What happened next was profound and touching as the Viangi leaders moved to face their Twuilhe counterparts, fell to their knees, and begged forgiveness. The Twuilhe leaders lifted them to their feet and vowed to seek unification as one people.

“You’ve all taken incredible steps today and I commend you. The Amaru Meru are one people, not two factions. Together we can accomplish anything we set our minds to.”

“What other steps must we take, High Priestess Aila?”

“There are two things I ask. First, that we have traditionally held places of leadership for Masters and Manu. This is not a true representation of all our people. We need to move beyond determining a person’s value by the level of their magic. I ask that Syette and Tayodh, Twila and Lucassian be added to Viangi and Twuilhe leadership.”

There were mumblings about this, but they agreed.

“Secondly, I would like us all to come together to design a new capital city where those Viangi and Twuilhe that wish to live together will have that opportunity.”

“This seems fitting, High Priestess Aila.”

“There is much work for all of us to do, but we will do it together. Let it be known to all people, that unity and peace exist between the Viangi and Twuilhe, and, because I can, I mark this day as an annual day of celebration of the Amaru Meru.”

***

What followed was much discussion and assignment of work and committees, as well as many requests of me to travel Amaru Meru and meet with the people. When the clamor had subsided, and I was finally able to step back from the crowd, Sharian greeted me with a warm embrace.

“It’s nice to know at least one prophecy was correct.”

“Better unification than utter destruction.”

Syette approached us. “Thank you, High Priestess Aila. You have shown me such great favor and I’m completely unaccustomed to such leadership. Vikold treated us badly and yet you elevate me into a position of responsibility and authority. I, for one, will work to assure your vision becomes a reality.”

“Our vision, Syette.”

Syette bowed slightly and slipped away as Twila and Lucassian stepped forward. “You’ve given us a great honor.”

“I trust you both to represent all castes of people well.”

Twila hugged me and Lucassian held back.

“I was wondering, Aila. Would you preside over Samantha’s and my joining ceremony?”

I glanced over at Samantha and smiled. “Of course. You might have to tell me what I’m supposed to do though.”

“Samantha was hoping for a contingency of dragons as well.”

I laughed. “I’ll see what I can do.”

Tayodh came to me next. “Who would have thought that I, the lowliest of all, would be called a leader of my people? I remember the day you arrived and how the slightest sound or vanishing wall would make you tremble. Look at you now. You’re every ounce a High Priestess. You, no doubt, will serve Amaru Meru well.”

“Thank you, Tayodh, I hope that you will always see me in such a favorable light.”

With a hug from me, Tayodh vanished into the crowd leaving Samantha standing there.

“You and Lucassian?”

Samantha smiled. “If the women of Earth only knew how attentive men are here, you could charge high admission at the gate. Your mom always said that all things work out for good. I think she’s right. Had none of this happened, I wouldn’t have been so happy.”

“I was worried you wouldn’t like it here.”

“I want to stay, but I have a few things back on Earth I should wrap up.”

“I think I could arrange a trip. I’m sure we could convince Sharian and Lucassian to come along. Think of it as a wedding present. That and…” I magically created a pair of ugly red high-heel shoes and held them out to her. “…these.”

We both started laughing.

***

With everything settled between the factions, we found a short window of time where we could escape to Earth. I had done my best to create clothing more suitable for tourists in Peru that we could all wear. Sharian and Lucassian were a little worried having never left Amaru Meru before. It gave me some satisfaction knowing Samantha and I would finally be the knowledgeable ones for a change.

I waved my hand and my necklace and ring began to glow. The temple gate shimmered with light and before fully opening, it gave us a view of Earth on the other side. It was dark, and no one was around so with another wave, I opened the gate and we all stepped through.

I had a moment of fear that I might return to Earth suddenly transformed back into my old self, but I knew that magic spell had long been removed from me. The moment we appeared in the crisp Earth air, I looked down at myself and smiled before turning to close the gate behind us.

“Is everyone feeling all right?”

Lucassian gasped. “Earth does have air, right?”

“Of course. We’re at high altitude here. Just breathe slow and deep and you’ll be fine.”

Sharian took my hand in his. “Lead the way.”

We walked down the pathway until we reached the parking area. There I tested my magic and imagined a Land Rover. I was rather pleased with myself with the outcome and we all climbed into it only to discover it wouldn’t run. When I opened the hood, I noticed half of the motor was missing. Apparently, my imagination was lacking specific engineering knowledge. Sighing, I waved my hand to get rid of my useless creation.

“Looks like we do this the old-fashioned way. We teleport. Give me a minute to check out our landing spot.”

In the blink of an eye I was at my old room in the Taypikala Lago Hotel in Puno and very thankful the room was vacant. As I looked out towards Lake Titicaca, it inspired an idea and I returned to the group about ten minutes later.

I brought us all back to my old room and Samantha and I laughed at Sharian and Lucassian trying to figure out how everything worked. They were fascinated with the bathroom, light switches, and the television but frustrated by the language. I transferred my knowledge of Spanish and English to them, so they wouldn’t be completely lost.

Once morning came, we slipped out of the hotel and retraced my path I had taken not more than two short months ago. For me, it was a nostalgic walk as I contemplated everything that had transpired since I was last there. It truly felt like a lifetime ago.

Puno was the same bustling little city as it always had been, and I still felt tall in comparison to the natives even though I was slightly shorter than I had been before. Although I could have created money, I chose to use the leftover money from my old wallet and I made a beeline for the corner store I sat in before.

Having purchased four dulce de leche alfajores and some Inca Kolas, we all sat down at a table. I waited for the reactions from my companions the moment they bit into the alfajores and I wasn’t disappointed.

Sharian reached for my hand and squeezed it. “These are amazing! This is where you grew up?”

“Yes. We lived not far from here.”

“I feel bad I wasn’t here with you.”

“You’re here now. That’s what counts.”

Lucassian was like a squirrel as every new sight and sound caused him to look around. “I had heard the people on Earth were uncivilized. The people here seem kind and friendly. Their technology is impressive.”

“This place we are in is considered primitive to many people. In general, the people in Peru are very gracious and friendly, but people are people and not everyone on Earth is the same.”

When we finished our food and drinks, we stepped out into the busy street just as several helicopters flew over the city in the direction of the lake. Sharian and Lucassian had never seen such a thing.

“There were people flying in those machines! This is amazing!”

“I sort of like the peaceful quiet of our home without aircraft buzzing all around.”

As we walked, we spotted a group of people standing outside the window of an electronics store. News was playing on multiple televisions in both Spanish and English. We paused to watch.

“…discovered this morning. As you can see by our helicopter camera footage, a remarkable geologic feature has risen overnight in Lake Titicaca. We’re switching live to a geologist on a boat…”

A man was running his hands over a smooth stone pillar that rose some twenty feet above the surface of the water. “This is remarkable. There are twenty-five of these pillars, twenty-six if you count the one that looks like two pillars melded together. That melded pillar is of completely different stone. Each pillar must be many thousands of tons and I can’t fathom the geologic processes that must have occurred to thrust these up from the lake bottom.”

There was much commotion behind the man.

“We just identified that there is writing on the pillars. There are dots and pictorial images. This indicates these pillars, or at least the writings are made by intelligent beings…”

The camera view switched back to the helicopter as they panned out revealing all twenty-five pillars.

Sharian pulled me aside. “Did you do that?”

I nodded. “It should take them a few years to decipher the meaning of it. I used the archive to learn where in the Earth’s night sky Amaru Meru is. The twenty-five pillars can be mapped to a star constellation here on Earth. The pillar that is two in one and of a different stone, represents our twin suns and where our world is located. The dots on the pillars are a mathematical Fibonacci sequence to indicate intelligent life create them and I added a pictograph set of symbols that might lead scientists here to believe this was created as a sign.”

“Why would you do this?”

“I hope one day we can reach out to Earth and let them know they’re not alone in the universe. That knowledge could radically transform the people here and give them something else to think about. The people of Earth have become increasingly self-centered and divisive. Knowing there are others in the universe might cause them to unite instead of fighting and bickering amongst themselves. Over time I would like to leave more symbols and one day, when the time is right, I would expose the people of Earth to the truth of their existence.”

I pulled them all with me into a quiet alley. “I want to introduce you to two wonderful people.”

We gathered together and in the blink of an eye we were standing in a beautiful, serene place with manicured grass, trees, and flowers. Before us were two gray headstones amongst many all around us. A fresh wave of sadness fell upon me and as my tears fell, I dropped to my knees and created a bouquet of flowers that I placed on my Earthly parent’s graves.

“Mom. Dad. I wish you were still here to see me and to guide me with your wisdom. Growing up, I believed everything you told me, then as I got older, I began to question your beliefs. Now that you’re gone, I realize the folly of my ways and wish you were here to tell me when I’m wrong. Sometimes I wonder how you could continue to give of yourselves even to people that had their hearts filled with evil and darkness; how you were so free to offer forgiveness that I often struggle to give. I love and miss you both so much.”

When I stood, Sharian hugged me. “These are memorials to the people that raised you?”

I nodded.

“I wonder what they would think if they knew who you really were, High Priestess of the worlds.”

I laughed a little. “I know what they would say. First, they would tell me not to have a big head. Then they would say that no matter who you are, or what role you play, it’s important to treat everyone as if they are the most important person in the world. I know I fall short every day, but I hope the lessons they taught me about goodness, love, and kindness will make me a better person and better leader.”

Sharian produced two flowers of his own and placed one on each gravestone. “Thank you both for taking care of my Aila. You would be proud of her.”

I sniffed and pulled everyone into a group hug.

“I love you guys. What do you say, Samantha? Should we introduce these two to sushi?”

***

***

End of Doorway to Amaru Meru

***

Thank you for reading Doorway to Amaru Meru. I originally posted this story as an eight-part series for the January 2019 Reader Retention Contest and have now combined the parts to repost as a single solo story.

I hope my stories give you hope and whisk you away to another world where our daily lives and struggles can briefly fade away.

Please take a moment to write a review or send me a message. I love to hear from you.

Casey

up
153 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Whisk away!

Casey

Thank you for sharing your stories! They all have 'whisked' me away to other worlds and places!

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

Wow

I think you out did yourself on this one, it was simply awesome! I loved every little bit of it.

The complete story

...managed to hold my interest where the episodes could not.

Anne Margarete

Excellent story, the

Excellent story, the characters were believable and the storyline was engaging.

I especially appreciate your taking all the parts of your story and collating them into a single document. I probably would have missed it otherwise and I wish that more authors would take the trouble to do this.

Not Bad, But…

…I'd personally like to see more plot and character development done here. The initial setup shows promise, but then things start to get a tad too predictable for my tastes. A lot of events in the majority of the story seem to just…conveniently happen without much lead-in at all, though I admit only certain circumstances absolutely require such foreshadowing. I'd also have liked to read what Samantha was going through in terms of her thoughts between the beginning and end of the story.

Always with a song in their heart.


Lyrical magical, confound it all; I've gone and gotten myself stuck lost somewhere deep in the Infinity Library again…

Hard or Easy depends on author

BarbieLee's picture

Stories of this length able to hold together from beginning to end are telling if the author immersed themselves into the story. Casey is one of those who joins her actors and actresses in every story. She writes from being there herself rather than as an observer watching events take place. She is also able to handle the actions of her actors like a seasoned director.
An excellent pleasurable read. Well done Casey.
hugs hon
always,
Barb
Life is too short to take seriously. Have fun with it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Amara Meru

Sabrina W's picture

Excellent story!