The Visit - Chapter 19

Printer-friendly version

The visit.jpg

Chapter 19

Mr Walker stopped the discussion and pushed the document towards Robert and Adele to consider before highlighting its significance. It was a birth certificate issued 20 years ago but it was not issued at the same time as a second document that he also produced that was the death certificate for Elizabeth Deane.

He explained that the birth certificate was not mandatory at the time of the child’s birth but came into law shortly afterwards. Mostly it was the middle and high classes that ensured children were recorded and lower classes hardly bothered since many couldn’t read or write.

Adele jumped in first because Robert was too busy trying to absorb the information and she asked what had happened to Elizabeth’s body after she died. Mr Walker explained that Elizabeth’s body was brought back to Tavistock Square in London for burial in a graveyard at the church that was visible from Roberta Deane’s home. Miss Deane arranged for a private burial hoping that Elizabeth’s passing would bring some closure to the dispute with Williams family. She assumed the burial would be reported back by whoever it was that was spying on her for the family. Unfortunately it didn’t and in fact her persecution just escalated to a new level.

‘But the child?’

Mr Walker explained that with Miss Deane’s approval the child stayed with Edward Deane and his wife in Bristol and was raised as their own. Miss Roberta contributed to the costs of the child’s welfare and supported her brother in his attempts to set up a business on the basis that he agreed to treat the child as his own. However when Miss Deane checked a short time later she was informed by Edward that the birth of the child had not been registered by him and she was concerned. It was not in accordance with laws that had come into force in recent years and she felt it would cause problems for the child in later life.

Miss Roberta took immediate action herself as any mother would have done and instructed Foster & Walker to deal with the matter and register on behalf of the family. This was not unusual so documents were prepared by Mr Walker following a visit to Bristol where he met with the physician who had tried to save the life of Elizabeth.

The father was not traced so he was not named on the certificate that was accepted even though he had been named by Elizabeth when her pregnancy was confirmed. It seemed he had never returned to Bristol for reasons that were not clear and after a week of enquiries Mr Walker could not trace him. The birth was registered whilst he was in Bristol and Edward Deane and the physician were witnesses.

Mr Walker then re-iterated that Miss Roberta feared that the lack of a birth certificate could affect the inheritances that had been awarded to Elizabeth, by her father, on reaching the age of 21. She discussed this with Foster & Walker as well as considering the matter of her own last will and testament to consider that had been drafted and was held by them.

As for the shares in the Club, that concerned young Mr Arthur, this matter had been addressed at the time of the review of the will. Walker explained that Miss Roberta felt strongly that these should pass to the child on reaching the age of 21. In the meantime the share certificate was being held by Foster & Walker who maintained contact and attended meetings that had been established during Mr Arthurs meeting at the Club.

Miss Roberta had taken some time to recover from the loss of her daughter that brought back memories of her relationship with William Hudson and her belief that he was murdered. She was now worried for the future of the child since further attempts had been made to threaten her and there was still plenty of evidence that she was being closely watched. So she made it her priority to ensure the child was safe as it grew up.

Adele couldn’t contain herself any longer - ‘But the child? ’

Mr Walker paused looking for instruction from Aunt Roberta who gave a nod of approval to respond - ‘ the child was raised as the son of Edward Deane and his wife and as a family they continued to live in Bristol with support from Miss Deane as I have already explained.’

Robert was speechless because neither his mother or father, at least the two guardians who had supported him all his life, had never indicated he was anything other but their child.

It was then explained that Miss Roberta instructed Mr Walker to prepare a plan to protect the child that might mislead the family and their hired investigators and thugs that plan was agreed by Miss Deane and was immediately implemented.

By way of some justification Mr Walker explained that the grave of Elizabeth had been was desecrated as some form of threat against Roberta Deane and the headstone smashed so that it had to be replaced.

The plan that was agreed and implemented was to register the child as female to try to confuse the persecutors and the birth certificate was retained by Foster & Walker who then approached the Courts to seek permission to adjust the will of William Hudson claiming the Child was the only living descendant of Elizabeth Deane. The change in the will was done with Judge Flemings help and support because of his past friendship with William Hudson. Everything went through very smoothly.

So on the birth certificate the child was given the name Roberta Deane that was close enough to the child’s name that had been given to him by Edward Deane. Miss Deane then confirmed that she was present to sign the document that was also witnessed by the clerk of Foster & Walker. Miss Deane was confirmed as mother to Elizabeth and the only surviving blood relative and that as a business partner and the person who had shared her bed with William Hudson she was the best person to convey his wishes that he’d expressed on several occasions. Elizabeth Deane’s birth certificate carried the name William Hudson as father together with his profession. This was all on record with the Courts so Mr Walker was able to deal with the transfer of rights of Elizabeth Deane’s estate to her child, thereafter known as Roberta.

At the time there was no substantial estate involved and this had been decreed in public with fair notice so the actions were not contested by anybody.

Robert turned to Aunt Roberta and whispered ‘So you are not my Aunt or even Great Aunt you are my grandmother and your daughter Elizabeth was my birth mother. She died giving birth to me that is unforgiveable? ’ A rear ran down his cheek.

His question was answered firstly with a simple nod, a smile and a touch of his hand - ‘Yes you are my granddaughter Roberta but your mother died because of birth complications and I have no proof but I fear this was out of neglect on behalf of those in attendance or even planned. You were whisked away by my brother for safety that we should never forget. He will be forever in my thoughts despite our differences.’

Adele stepped in again in support of Robert- ‘ So Roberta is legally entitled to inherit all her mother’s estate that will include the shares in the Gentleman’s Club?’

Mr Walker quickly interjected to advise this was true but the matter of Elizabeth’s inheritance at the age of 21 had not in fact occurred. Since the rest of Elizabeth’s estate at the time of adjusting the will was negligible he did not anticipate any problems. The estate consisted of some personal items and private letters and a small amount of money in a safe box.’

Robert was trying to concentrate on what Mr Walker was saying but only the part about the private letters registered with him. He felt that might be the only link he had to his mother so he was immediately interested to have access to them. Mr Walker arranged for them to be collected from their safety deposit room.

Adele on the other hand persevered with her priority interest that she considered to be the most significant matter on hand - ‘But what about the shares in the Gentleman’s Club surely they had value so the estate wasn’t worthless?’

‘At the time there was no recorded valuation of the Gentleman’s Club and no necessity to recover William Hudson’s original investment or to sell his shareholding. Nobody came forward to object.’

‘But surely this action was dishonest?’

‘On what basis do you reach that conclusion young man. Miss Roberta was made pregnant by Mr William Hudson and their daughter was named as the beneficiary so with Miss Deane’s agreement and instructions she passed these directly to the registered daughter of Elizabeth Deane, Miss Roberta Deane the younger.’

Mr Walker confirmed that his firm had dealt with everything in accordance with the law and had been successful in having the will adjusted. So the shares were then placed in trust under the control of their client Miss Roberta Deane the elder, that would have been her daughter’s wish had she survived. Furthermore this was intended to stop any attempts by William Hudson’s family to claim ownership. They had done enough damage to the lives of Miss Deane and William in our opinion. So Mr Walker confirmed that Miss Roberta the elder remained as custodian until Miss Roberta the younger reached the age of 21.’

‘So in your opinion in three month from now on the occasion of Roberta’s birthday she will officially become a shareholder in the Club as am I?’

‘Yes but there is a clause that states that the transfer of shareholding is subject to Miss Deane being satisfied that Miss Roberta the younger is able to demonstrate her maturity as a young woman and ready to take on responsibilities assigned to her. It is also her intention to transfer some of the business interests that she had jointly owned with William Hudson that his family had also tried to access.’

Miss Deane did provide a little more for clarification stating that she was so far very happy with how Roberta had presented herself since arrival in Tavistock Square and she was impressed with her good manners that she felt was to the credit of her brother. She was also pleased that she had met such a polite young man who was the nephew of Judge Fleming who had been a true friend of William.

The clerk arrived with the private letters that were handed to Miss Deane since Robert had not reached the age of 21 and she scanned them quickly having seen them on a prior visit. Two letters were in her own handwriting that she recalled were to explain about her father who had disappeared suddenly from her life. There were others from her father written to Elizabeth that Miss Deane said were intended to explain why he had been unable to marry her before becoming her birth mother.

Adele was quick to speak again. ‘So does this mean that you will set certain criteria or tasks for Roberta enabling her to take control of the shares when she is 21.’

‘ My requirement is not severe it is simply that she stays with me in London from now until her 21st birthday, under my protection, to learn amongst other things how a respectable young woman is expected to behave. This provides me with an opportunity that I never had with my daughter Elizabeth and it is a small amount of time in Roberta’s life. I want her to forget the lower middle class lifestyle she was forced to endure with my brother who in the circumstances has done an amazing job. I want Roberta to settle into the middle and upper class society here in London and learn sufficient about the businesses that I still control as main shareholder. Of course Mr Arthur you may call upon her as you wish provided that you behave honourably and treat Roberta with respect.’

Adele nodded her agreement looking at Robert and they smiled at each other. Perhaps it was a little late for that.

At that the meeting had gone as far as intended so Mr Walker thanked the three of them for attending his office and agreed to provide some summary notes for their approval and his record. He recommended that they meet again in one week’s time after the three of them had chance to digest the information.

Mr Walker shook each of them by the hand to bid them farewell and Adele went outside and waved to the cab driver to collect them to return to Tavistock Square.

In the meantime Robert asked Aunt Roberta, who he was not ready to call Grandmother, that they go direct to the churchyard to visit Elizabeth’s grave. It brought a nod of approval from Aunt Roberta and Adele was happy to escort them. She was in high spirits after hearing the wonderful news and hugged Robert openly in full view of Aunt Roberta and several passers-by. She didn’t care who saw them she was so elated. Now she had a chance resolve her family business problems and enjoy regular company of his sweetheart Roberta.

They boarded the cab and it gently pulled away with the three of them in relaxed mood and reflecting on the information that had been provided. Robert now realised why his Aunt had been so critical of his appearance when he first arrived at Tavistock Square. She had only accepted him as Roberta rather than as his true male self.

On their arrival at the church Aunt Roberta respectfully led the way to Elizabeth’s grave along a pebbled path to a single grave in a secluded position in the shade of a large Oak that shaded most of the small graveyard. The headstone was prominent and in white marble imported from Italy. On it was engraved ‘the beautiful daughter of William Hudson and Roberta Deane. ’ No mention of the child for deliberate reason.

Aunt Roberta and Robert held each other and Adele stepped back to let them have some privacy and Miss Deane shed tears for the first time. Robert couldn’t hold back either since he realised how much he’d missed in his 20 years.

up
101 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

so,with the person in Tavistock square watching

Monique S's picture

Do we have to expect attempts on Roberta's life?

Will the villains be exposed? I sure hope so.

I very much like this plot.
Monique.

Monique S

Interesting times in London & Bristol

Thanks once again. I can see the benefit of accelerating the story and filling in some blanks. Better Kudos with fewer hits. Maybe the story was going on too long for some but I'm doing my best.
Hugs

Jules