My Safe Place - Chapter 11

Printer-friendly version
Chapter 11

“Alright class, today we will be playing a game of dodge ball,” our gym teacher spoke to us.
We all cheered.

“I know some of you might know the rules of the game, but some might not know yet, so I have to explain before we begin.”

Everyone groans, but me. I have never played it before, so I feel like I am the loser here.

“The objective of dodge ball is to take out all the players of the opposite team," He begins. “A player is declared out if you either hit an opponent with a thrown ball. Before it hits the ground and below the shoulders, you catch an opponent's thrown ball before it makes contact with the ground or walls or you cross over any boundary lines.” He looks over at me because he can tell I am one that doesn't know the rules. “Now remember to win the game you must take out the other teams players, before time is up or have more players when the time is up than the other team.”

One kid comes over to me. “Thanks a lot, jerk.” He says.

“Now everyone line up while you are chosen sides.” the gym teacher said from across the room. I walked over with all the other classmates.
Lucas sees me. “Get away from me; I don’t want to catch the transgender disease.” He was pretending to be scared. I can tell. He was laughing with his friends. I kind of wish I could punch him in the nose, but I don't want to get in trouble. What would be worse getting suspended on the first day of school because I was being bullied.

I was chosen on the opposite team of Lucas and his friends, which was a good thing, but not the best, because I ended up not having fun. I was out immediately when the game started. All the boys went after me right away, and it was really hard on me. They all teamed up for the purpose of making me sit out.

I hate dodge ball.


~o~O~o~

The alley was dark and deserted. I was walking home from school, even though I could have taken the bus home. But after dealing with the bullies all day, I couldn’t handle seeing them again. As I walked, I contemplated going back to school the next day. I kick a can against a building which makes a cling clangy echoey sound. I was trying to take my frustration out.

I know I will get in trouble for not taking the bus home. Nikki or one of the staff at CC House will lecture me on walking home. “It’s not safe to walk home” Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah. It's not even dark out. Es the alley is dark, but it's not dark outside. It’s like what? 3:35? 3:40? Somewhere around that time? The sun is still out, and at least it's not raining.

I hear a cat meowing in the distance which sounds like it was in heat or it may have been hungry. I was starting to feel hungry at that moment because my tummy was growling just thinking of it. I thought about home and wondered what we were going to have tonight for supper. I also wonder what Ashley was planning on doing for fun. Probably a movie or something similar. She always thinks of something fun to do. We never did get a chance to finish watching that Harry Potter movie.

As I was walking along, I noticed places I hadn’t recognize from earlier today, heading to school. Was I going the right way home? Looking around, I saw a library. I defiantly wasn’t going the right way. I decided to run over to the Library to ask for directions or maybe even ask to use the phone.

While I headed inside, I noticed it was starting to get busy for this time of night, and the woman at the front counter was checking out customers. Was it always this busy at this time of night?

“Scuse me,” I asked.”

“Please wait your turn young lady. The woman at the counter told me. I looked down to the ground, not knowing what to do. I started walking around the library to the kids' section to find a book to read, while I waited.

As I turned the corner of one of the aisles, I had a big surprise… Ryan, Lucas and a few other boys from my class were there. They looked like they were up to something; Something not so good I could say.

I start to slowly walk the other direction, hoping they don’t look my way. I didn’t want another problem just like what they did at school today.

I make it to another aisle and keep looking back. My heart is beating fast. I turn different directions left and right hoping they didn’t see me and was about to hide under a table when...

“Well if it isn’t the Tranny!” Lucas said popping out of nowhere. I jumped. I wasn’t expecting him to jump out in front of me like that. He must have seen me.

“Hey guys, look at the Dickgirl we have over here!” He said to his friends who were coming up from behind him. They all were laughing.

“Dickgirl,” Ryan repeated because he says he is a girl and he has a dick.”

“Stop it!” I cried.

“What’s the matter pussy; afraid of us?” Ryan laughed

“What are you doing in my part of the city, in fact, my city of all places?” Lucas growled.

“Aren’t you suppose to be with that queer family of yours?” Ryan spoke up. I looked at him surprised. “That's right I know you live at that Queer Home For Queer People here in Crescent City. That’s where all the freaks live.”

I didn’t say anything. I was starting to cry.

“Look at the baby cry!” Lucas pointed at me to the boys. “Waaaaaaaaaa!” He imitated a baby as well as pretended to wipe his eyes.

Other people in the library walked by and didn’t stop to help. They just went on with their lives as if this was normal or they didn’t want to get involved. Some people were reading a book or listening to their iPods and walking the other way.

Lucas kicks me in the private area which makes me fall to the ground. I almost hit my head in the process. “I guess the he-she does have a dick after all” Lucas laughs, which has the other boys laugh as well.

“Well at least balls,” Ryan pointed out.

“Come on guys, let's get out of here.” All the boys walk away still laughing and left the library. I am still sitting on the ground crying holding my private in pain.

People walked by me not stopping to see if I needed help. Some most likely thought I was just a bratty kid not getting what I wanted and was throwing a tantrum. Eventually, I got up and walked over to the counter. There was still a big line. I couldn’t believe it. How could such a small place like this library be so busy?

Finally, when it was my turn, I saw the woman at the counter and froze. I was a bit shy.

“Can I help you young lady?” she asked.

I was still scared.

“If you don’t need anything move aside,” she growled.

Finally, I spoke up. “Where is CC House? I asked.

“CC House?” She looked confused?.

“Yes,” I tried again. “I am lost, where is Crescent City Homes?”

“I’m not sure what you mean?” She said looking at the line and then at me.

“Excuse me, Miss,” A young man in line spoke up. I looked over to him. “Crescent City Homes is a bit far from here. Here let me check out my books, and then I will write down the information for you on some paper.” He gets his books checked out and as he promised he writes down the directions.

“Thank you so much,” I say looking at the paper.

On the paper it said to Head southwest from the library toward Front Street, Turn right onto Front Street, Then Turn right onto B Street. Turn left onto Second Street, and I should see Crescent City Homes on my left.

I smiled. I skipped out to the door and

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I quickly stopped because the alarms went off at the door. I looked back at the woman at the front desk.

“Hold Up!” A security guard yelled at me.

“What did I do?” I cried?


~o~O~o~

“It must have been the boys that did it. I didn't even get a chance to look at any books when I was in the library. I just wanted to go home.” I cried. “Look at the security tapes!”
I was sitting in a chair in the office of the Library waiting for the police and Nikki to show up.
A security guard was standing next to me making sure I didn't leave the chair.

I was scared and crying.

“I didn’t do anything. I didn’t steal anything.” I was crying and wanted to go home. I was caught with a DVD in my backpack. I don’t know how it got there; I was holding my bag the whole time except when I was kicked. The security guard wasn’t listening to a word I was saying.

Eventually, I heard that a police officer came into the building and Nikki came in a few minutes after him. This was where I was starting to panic. I didn’t want to go to jail.

The police and Nikki talked to someone right outside the room I was sitting in. I see that they were talking, but couldn’t hear what they were saying. I was hungry, and I wanted to go home.

A few minutes later a policewoman and Nikki came into the room. Some man stood outside the doorway with his arms crossed.

“Please let me go, and I won’t come back here again! I Promise!” I cried.

“Hello Kiara, Don’t be afraid. my name is Officer Chill,” the police officer crouched down at my eye level. “It seems like you have gotten into a little trouble tonight.”

“I didn’t do it!” I cried.

“I know you didn’t. We all saw the surveillance footage. A bunch of boys about your age did it to you.”

“Yeah, Ryan and Lucas and his friends…” I grumbled. But then I spoke softly. “...And now I’m a squealer.

up
95 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wow, a new...

Mantori's picture

... chapter.

I remember reading this on TG Storytime.

I always wondered if you were ever going to finish this.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for a new chapter. Like a few other writers here, your work has always been amazing.

"Life in general is a fuck up,
but it is the rare moments of beauty and peace
in between the chaos,
That makes it worth living."
- Tertia Hill

Thanks for the chapter

WillowD's picture

The best part is that I found out there were 10 chapters before it that I could read first. This poor kid is definitely not living a good life. I hope those bullies get charged with assault.

Yay! It's back!

I was hoping this story would continue!

Hugs,
Leila

hooraayyyyy

Cindy Lou's picture

Been watching for you to continue. Guess I'd better start again so I remember it all. I hope you keep going...

please

please continue, It is such a touching story. We want to know what happens to Kiara, For her sake her father put away for life.