Love Less -12- Maddy Returns

Printer-friendly version

“Don’t you look smart in your school uniform,” said Jessie after greeting Les.

Love Less
Love Less -12-
Maddy Returns

 
"What's wrong?" Dr. Owen asked.

Les sat there trembling, sure that he could never speak because what would he say? "I'm… It's… You're going to find out…" he stammered in spite of himself, sure that he would simply blurt it out if he kept talking.

But Dr. Owen turned as they both heard the front door open. "Hey-O!" Dr. Jessie called. "Maddy's here."

"We're in my office," Owen called back. He started to stand but seem to change his mind and settled back into his chair. "Do you want to talk about what has you upset?" he asked.

Les shook his head, clearly miserable and frightened.

The doctor watched him, saying nothing for a long moment.

Les trembled. Almost he wished to confess his deception, but he kept silent. Maddy, after all, was here and she had already produced a miracle or two, getting him out of the police station and into this beautiful home. Even if he had to disguise himself as a girl to make her plan work, it had worked.

"Excuse me," said Owen. Rising from his chair, he stepped to the door and opened it. "We're in here," he called out, then returned to his desk, leaving the door open. He smiled at Les, "Don't be afraid. We can be sure to find you a woman doctor if that will make you more comfortable with the exam."

Les started. A woman doctor? What? Why? He trembled, having no clue that Owen had concluded that he —or she, as the doctor assumed— was afraid of being seen unclothed in front of a male.

Maddy and Dr. Jessie came in the open door, wearing serious expressions. "Don't you look smart in your school uniform," said Jessie after greeting Les. Then to Owen, "Honey, Maddy wants to talk to Elle alone for a bit."

"It won't be long," said Maddy. "Some of it is about her parents, and I've already told Jessie what I can about them." She smiled at Les, communicating confidence and reassurance to the boy.

The Drs. Davenport soon left the office, closing the door behind them. Les watched them go with some anxiety.

"Hello, Ellie. You do look nice," said Maddy, pulling his attention back to the social worker. She held her arms open, motioning that it was okay for Les to find a hug if he needed one.

The boy stepped into the embrace. "They need a physical exam, so I can go to school," he said, tears threatening to start.

Maddy hugged him gently. "It's okay. It's okay. We can handle this."

"We can?" he murmured against her shoulder. "But they'll find out I' m… I'm…"

"It's okay," Maddy repeated. "We'll tell them first. We'll tell them the truth before they find out. The truth is very powerful."

Les pulled back. "The truth?"

Maddy nodded. "First, though, I have to tell you about your parents."

Les's heart sank.

Maddy moved him closer to the couch in the office and indicated he should sit down. He did so, then lifted slightly, using his left hand to smooth his skirt under him the way Pris had shown him.

Maddy smiled approvingly.

"Are my folks coming for me?" he asked the social worker.

She shook her head. "No, not for some time. I've been up all night tracking them down. Your mother, Corinne, has a broken jaw. They've had to put a pin in and wire it shut. She may file charges, but it isn't clear against who. Or if she may have charges against her. She's still in the hospital but will probably be released today."

She went on. "Your father, Leland, is being held for assault, disorderly conduct, destruction of property, and resisting arrest. He can't make bail, and the night court ordered him held because he refused to enter a plea."

Maddy continued. "He's unlikely to see a judge today, but he'll probably get a lawyer assigned. I'm going to file paperwork to keep him and Corrie away from you."

Les shook his head. "You… you…."

"They left you alone in the motel, it is a clear case of neglect, and I don't expect any disagreement from the judge at family court, especially since I've already placed you with a foster family. Your folks don't even have a legal residence in the state." Maddy smiled at him.

"Do you like living with the Davenport's so far?" she asked.

Les felt his eyes burning. "I… but… they need an exam so I can go to school."

Maddy nodded again, still smiling. "Is that the school uniform you're wearing?"

"Yes," Les told her. "It's one of Pris's. It's a private school, just for girls. I…" He trailed off.

"You look pretty and sweet in it, dear," she assured him.

Les's face turned pink. "Maddy. Mrs. Madison? You do know that I'm…."

She interrupted him. "Physically a boy? Yes, I figured that out this morning after talking to your mother. Stepmother."

Les blinked. He'd been sure that she knew earlier and had come up with the idea of disguising him as a girl to keep him out of the juvenile detention center.

She was nodding. "But you present as a girl, quite successfully. None of the Davenports have indicated they thought you might be a boy, have they?"

"I did tell Pris I was a boy, but she laughed. She thought I was joking."

"There you go," said Maddy. "You didn't try to prove it, did you?"

"Uh, no," Les admitted. "I slept in the same bedroom with her last night, in my own bed." He paused. "She thinks I'm pretty." He blushed again.

"Everyone does, dear. And you still have the same problem you had last night. There are no safe foster homes or safe holding centers for a slender, pretty boy in this county. I'm not allowed to take you home myself, or I would." She sighed, seemed to remember something and continued. "I've got a plan."

Les pushed his hair away from his face. He stared at her.

"You're transgender," said Maddy.

The boy blinked. He had heard the word.

"A transgender girl. It's pretty obvious that you can successfully pass as a girl," said Maddy. She waved at Les sitting there in the plaid school jumper and red bowtie.

She sat beside him on the couch. "Tell the truth, seriously. Would you rather be a girl or a boy?"

He stared at her.

"I can be blunt," she said, taking his hands in hers. "Would you rather be a girl living with the Davenports—or a boy down at juvenile hall?"

He trembled.

"I'm certain I can get the Davenports to accept you as a transgender girl. And I'm going to do everything I can to keep those morons with your last name from getting custody of you."

"But I am a boy…." Les began.

"Physically, as far as sex goes, you are of the male sex," agreed Maddy. "But, honey, I wasn't the only one at the police station who took you for a girl at first. You don't present your self as a boy, not as a person of the masculine gender. You just don't." She squeezed his hands.

"Lord knows with a male role model like your father," she muttered, "but your step-mom is no prize either."

Les pulled his hands away and wiped his eyes. "Did they…."

She shook her head. "Neither of them asked about you, or each other for that matter. Well, Corinne did say she hopes your father rots in jail. She just assumed that was where he was."

"And she was right," said Les.

Maddy yawned. "Excuse me. Look, we can get the Davenports on your side. They're good people. I know they will accept you as a transgender girl."

"For … how long?"

"As long as necessary. Weeks, months. Do you have any other relatives who could claim custody?"

He shook his head. "Mom-mom, my real Mom, Rebecca, is in Texas. I'm not sure where. She had a nervous breakdown. Her brother, my Uncle Billy, uh, William Engels, lives in Indiana. He's on probation for a car accident when he was drunk. He can't drive, or-or leave the state."

"Jesus," said Maddy rubbing her face again. "How do you end up such a sweet kid with a family like that?"

Les began to cry, quietly.

Maddy grabbed tissues from a box on the doctor's desk and handed them to him.

"I don't know what to do, Maddy," he said.

She pulled him close and hugged him again. "I do," she said.

up
318 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

wow, tough predicament

He's got such a great place to be, I'm sure it will work out for him

Loving it

Alice-s's picture

Loving it, loving it

The moment of truth

laika's picture

Good place for a drum roll. I'll be hearing one---maintaining the suspense---until next chapter. I'm hoping their revelation will lead to a "Welcome home, foster daughter!" and not an "ABSOLUTELY NOT!" from the adult Davenports, and a big sisterly hug instead of "Ewwwww get away you creepy weirdo!" from Pris. Elle deserves a home like theirs. And I'm glad the parents-from-hell are screwing up so bad, leaving no doubt in anyone's mind that they shouldn't be trusted with taking care of a cactus, let alone a sweet kid like her.
~hugs, Veronica

Tough, Sweet Boy-Girl

BarbieLee's picture

Anyone besides me shed a few tears over what kind of life this poor child has led? Toss in a doubtful future and it is a wonder she is still so innocent and naive. We hope Maddy can give this girl a chance at life.
always,
Barb

Wonderful work with the scene settings, dialog

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

He's where he should be

Jamie Lee's picture

Maddy is,besides being smart, a very compassionate woman. Plausible deniability is Maddy's defence when Les's gender status comes up with her boss. This alone will keep her fat out of the fire and Les out of a terrible situation.

The Owens don't seem the type to turn a child away who needs a safe place to live, so Maddy telling them Les is TG shouldn't pose a problem. More so because Les doesn't appear to be a boy.

Others have feelings too.

i have afeeling a medival

will turn up several anomalies, I like this story and am firmy on maddy's side( How could I not?)

And for that demand, Maddy will say ...

AuPreviner's picture

Ni! Ni! Ni!

Like a good neighbor, State Home is there ...

AuP ;-)

P. S. Sorry, I couldn't resist either.


"Love is like linens; after changed the sweeter." – John Fletcher (1579–1625)

Miss Maddy to the rescue

Woo hoo! Again, expertly written; with every submission I get sucked right into Les' world in less than 2 sentences.

Hugz! - **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

Wow

Here’s to hoping they accept Elle/Les.

Poor kid

Samantha Heart's picture

Is between a rock & a hard place. I think Maddy is right this poor sweet kid is teansgender & honestly the Davenport's ARE his/her ONLY option. So I hope this truly works. As dor the rest of this kids family... no one is winning any prizes.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Great writing

The story strikes all the sympathy chords and and feels so realistic it can't help but pull you right in.