Back to School Chp. 1

Printer-friendly version

Nora looks at herself in the mirror and couldn’t believe it was the first day of school. Melody and Ginger were prepared and had their school schedules.

“Come on girls. We got to leave for school.” Nora grabs her purse and carry tote with everything she needed for school.

“Coming mom.” Melody and Ginger come rushing out of their shared bedroom.

Both girls had on their new school clothes. Melody was wearing a brand-new pair of blue jeans that hugged her body, new matching blouse, and brand-new sneakers. Ginger had on a skirt and a new blouse for the first day. The heels she had on were appropriate for school.

Nora checks the girls over to make sure they weren’t breaking any school rules. She knew the rules have gotten tighter at the school this year.
What was allowed last year, wasn’t allowed this year.

“You girls remember when you’re in school, your cellphones are to be turned off or on vibrate. I don’t want to get any reports that your phone has been taken away.” Nora was told the students could have their phones, but they had to be either off or on vibrate.

She has been given permission to take them away if she catches a student using one during class. The only way they could get them back, was for the parent to come up to the school to collect it. She still had her jammer if her students didn’t obey the rules.

“Alright, let’s go.” Nora starts heading out to her Mustang.

The girls follow behind Nora and get in. Ginger got to ride in the passenger seat, while melody took the back seat.

“Ginger, go ahead and take some money out of my purse for yours and Melody’s lunch and snack.” Nora glances towards Ginger.

“Okay, mom.” Ginger reaches behind the driver seat and picks up her mothers’ purse.

She pulls out two five-dollar bills. She hands one to Melody and puts the other one in her purse. Ginger puts her mother’s purse back where it was.

Nora pulls into the teacher’s parking lot and parks her car. She gets out and grabs her bags and her purse. She looks at her girls “alright, you two behave today and go and catch-up with your friends.”

“We will mom.” Ginger and Melody run off to catch up with their friends.

Nora heads inside the school and checks in at the office to see what has been put in her mailbox. The normal material she gets once a month.

“Mrs. Midnight, its good to see you again. Did you have a nice summer?” Mr. Thompson had spotted the government teacher from last year, in the office.

“Yes, I had a very nice summer. How was yours?” Nora glances towards the clock on the wall.

“My family and I went camping and hiking in Colorado.” Mr. Thompson loved the time they spent camping and hiking.

“That’s good to hear. Are you ready to mold and educate the new students coming in?” Nora was ready for the challenge.

“I hope this year is better than last year was.” Last year was a bad year until Nora came along and started making changes.

“Oh, I think it will be. Well, I need to get to my class and start setting up for today’s lesson. See you at lunch.” Nora heads towards her
classroom on the second floor. It was the same classroom she had last year.

Nora grabs a cart and loads it up with school books from the supply room. She counts all the books a third time to make sure she has enough books to give to her students. She couldn’t wait to see her new students and her returning students that failed her course.

Outside:
Melody spotted her friends and headed over towards them. She hasn’t seen them since they went to Hawaii.

“A-April-l, J-Joseph-h.” as Melody walks over to them.

“Melody, how was your trip to Hawaii?” Joseph could see she had gotten some sun.

Her fair skin was a little darker, and she looked little more fit, then she did before she left. The necklace she had own, was made of seashells. She had own matching earrings as well.

“I-It was f-fun-n. I-I played with an L-Liger-r and went s-surfing-g.” Melody like learning how to surf from Tizzy and Krisha.

“What’s a Liger?” April was curious.

“I-It’s-s a c-cross-s between a Lion and a T-Tiger-r,” Melody remembered what Cheshire told her about them.

“What do they look like?” April wanted to see a picture of one.

“L-Like this-s.” Melody brings up a picture of Simba and Shur Khan for April to look at.

“Wow, they are big.” She plays the video and watches as Simba and Shur Khan played and ran.

“Who is the woman playing with Simba?” April was curious about her.

“T-That’s Tizzy-y. S-She’s a police officer-r. S-Simba-a is her k-kitty c-cat-t.” Melody liked Tizzy and hopes to visit her again.

“Who does Shur Khan belong too?” April wonders if Tizzy owned him as well.

“T-That’s-s my Aunt C-Cheshire’s-s kitty c-cat-t.” Melody liked Cheshire because she was nice to her and knew how she felt.

“You have relatives in Hawaii?” Joseph was surprised to hear that.

“I-I didn’t know, my f-foster-r mother-r had family t-there-e.” Melody was surprised Cheshire said to call her Aunt Cheshire.

“Hey, guys.” Carol waves to her friends.

Everyone looks towards the sound of the voice and notices a young girl with short brown hair, wearing a floral dress and dress shoes walking
over to them. She had a pink backpack over one shoulder and a small white purse hanging from her left shoulder.

Joseph couldn’t believe his friend Charlie had come to school dress as a girl. He knew Charlie was a transgender person and had introduced his girly side to him.

“Your parents let you come to school dressed as a girl?” Joseph was amazed.

“Yeah, my counselor said that I should start dressing full time and my parents were hesitat to let me. When we spoke to Principal Kramer, he said I could come dressed as a girl to school. I know if I have any problems, I can go to Mrs. Midnight. I have her for my homeroom teacher and for the government class tool.” Carol couldn’t believe she had Mrs. Midnight for class.

She heard that she was tough, but fair and would work with you if you were having a problem. She also had her for homeroom as well. Which means she could speak to her about any problems she was facing.

Ginger had found William and was hanging with him and their friends. She loved feeling his strong arm around her waist.
William gives her a kiss “so how was your trip to Hawaii?”

“Fun, I learned to surf and found out I had relatives in Hawaii.” Ginger missed Tizzy and her family.

“It also looked like you got a nice tan while you were there.” William noticed her skin was darker.

“Well, I did spend most of my time in my swimsuit and surfing.” Ginger loved surfing.

“Did someone say surfing?” Chuck heard Ginger talking about surfing.

“Yeah Chuck, I learned how to surf from a cousin I didn’t know I had.” Ginger didn’t know Cheshire would request them to call her auntie.

“Oh? Where did you learn to surf?” Chuck was curious.

“My cousin Tizzy taught me. She surfs and is a police officer in Hawaii.” Ginger liked Tizzy’s husband. He was a nice person.

“Wow, your mother is a retired DSS agent and now you have a cousin that is a police officer. What does your aunt do?” Chuck was wondering.

“She’s a professor that specializes in large cats,” Ginger remember Tizzy telling her that Cheshire was a zoologist that specialized in large cats.

“You mean she handles cats like lion and tigers?” Chuck loved big prey cats like lion and tigers.

“Yep, if you want to know about big game cats, my Aunt Cheshire wrote several books about them,” Ginger remembered seeing a few books she wrote on her bookshelf.

“Wow, I would love to meet her.” Chuck loved big cats.

“Well, you would need to fly to Hawaii to meet her.” Ginger didn’t think she came stateside much.

“You could always email her.” William figures Ginger could give Chuck her email address.

“True.” Chuck looks towards Ginger “do you think she would mind?”

“I can ask her, Chuck. Let me send a text to her and I’ll let you know by lunchtime.” Ginger pulls her cellphone out and sends a text to Cheshire.

The first bell rings letting them know they need to get to their first bell class..

“We better head to class.” Ginger and the rest of her friend’s start heading to their first bell classes.

up
276 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

School is very cyclic

Like the seasons, except for a new crop of students. each with their own damage and problems, and endearing personalities, a good teacher has to basically be a people person.

Thank you

Thank you for more Nora

You're Welcome

I enjoy writing about Nora and her family. She's a semi-protege of Cheshire's.

garfieldwritingsf.jpg
If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
― Toni Morrison

Finicky Details

Just an FYI: cell phone jammers are illegal to use in the U.S. To cover the cellular bands would also jam law enforcement communications, as the two share the same frequency ranges. Government entities can use them, with authorization, but that means places like prisons, law enforcement, etc. Not a teacher in a school setting.

Besides, what kind of example would a teacher be setting for her students if she uses an illegal device? ;-)


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

New crop of problems?

Jamie Lee's picture

First day of school lets everyone shake off the dust from summer vacation and once again try and remember how to study.

The first day of school also lets those who aim to cause trouble scope out those who need to learn a different kind of lesson, and make plans when to administer that lesson.

Those new to the school, who don't know about Nora, and have lessons of their own to teach, are going to get a lesson they never expected. One which may get them relocated if they push the limits too far.

Others have feelings too.