Doorway to Amaru Meru Part 8

Printer-friendly version

Doorway to Amaru Meru

Part 8 of 8

Amaru.jpg

I braced myself for Vikold’s attack; time slowed to a crawl. I could see the hatred in his eyes and his intent was clear. My magic rose up within me to protect myself. I considered a preemptive attack, but even that was halted when a massive golden head stretched over my shoulder and bit Vikold into two pieces. I could hear the crunching of bones and a second bite finished what was left of him.

In shock, I looked back at Beor. I swear he was grinning like a puppy that had just torn apart a slipper.

“A dragon has to eat sometime, Aila.”

“So much for diplomacy. Beor.”

Beor seemed to shrug. “Vikold didn’t seem too interested in diplomacy and Nakcos are quite tasty.”

I sighed. “You have something in your teeth.”

Turning back to the aghast group, I noticed something quite strange. Saurel grabbed his throat, shook violently, and fell to the ground dead.

Sharian stepped forward and pulled Saurel’s clothing to the side to expose a scarred bite on his neck. “This is a Nakco bite. Master Saurel was under Vikold’s control and when Vikold died, so did Saurel. We should check the archives, but I wouldn’t hesitate to offer the theory that Saurel had fallen to Vikold’s Nakco blood curse years before the Great Culling. Vikold could have masterminded everything, including Master Saurel’s dislike of our High Priestess. I believe we owe it to ourselves to all take a step back from our hatred and fear of one another and investigate if perhaps we have all be misled.”

There were many nods of approval.

“I want you all to know that I didn’t order Beor to…” What are the right words? Swallow? Feast upon? “…ingest Vikold. My question to all of you remaining is where do you now put your allegiance?”

Possibly it was the shock and awe of Beor’s protection of me, or even that I had shown magical abilities beyond anything they had witnessed before, but one by one the remaining Viangi and Twuilhe leaders knelt at my feet stating the following.

“As witnessed by those around me, I acknowledge Aila as my High Priestess.”

When that was complete, one of the Viangi leaders stepped forward. “What would you have of us, High Priestess?”

“Go home to your families. In two weeks, I would ask the Viangi and Twuilhe leaders to return here at this temple, the Temple of Peace and Truth. I ask that Syette and Tayodh as well as Lucassian and Twila also come to that meeting.”

They all nodded and walked back to what was left of their armies.

Turning back to Beor, I stroked his cheek. “Thank you for protecting me and my thanks to all dragon kind. Let them know they are free to leave.”

“You are also one of us, Aila. Never forget that.”

I laughed. “I may be one of you, but I’ll keep my own eating habits if you don’t mind. I’ll take my friends back to Yalshema.”

It was just Samantha, Lucassian, and Sharian left after the dragons had flown away.

Samantha started clapping. “That was awesome! You can fly, Aila! I rode a dragon! There was fire, magic, and Vikold got eaten!”

“I’m actually just grateful you didn’t die like Saurel, Samantha. You were bitten by Vikold too.”

Samantha paled. “I never thought of that. Good thing you were able to get rid of the blood curse.”

“For you and me both. What do you say if Lucassian shows us one of the fancier dinner places in Yalshema? I’m starved.”

Lucassian bowed and extended a hand to Samantha. “Such an esteemed opportunity to take the loveliest of women out to dinner.”

“Wait… How do I pay for food?”

Sharian and Lucassian laughed. “Money means nothing in a society when magic users can create money. They may ask you to clean the dishes though.”

“I’d actually be fine with that. Where to, Lucassian?”

“The residential district.”

A moment later we were all standing in the plaza where we had last met up with Twila. Our arrival hadn’t gone unnoticed and Twila once again rushed out to meet us.

“High Priestess Aila! What news do you have of the war?”

“Averted. Everyone is heading home.”

“That’s wonderful news. I knew you were the right person to be our High Priestess.”

“You might be the only one aside from Sharian that ever thought that. Will you join us for dinner?”

“I would love to, High Priestess!”

***

I leaned back into Sharian’s arms. I found his presence both electrifying and comforting. Dinner had been wonderful, and it was perhaps the first time since my arrival that I felt I could focus my attention on my food and relax long enough to enjoy it.

Twila had taken Samantha to a room near mine and Lucassian escorted them both. That left Sharian and me alone in my old room. I could have replaced my old, small bed with a larger one, or even built a palace somewhere in the countryside, but I didn’t have the heart or energy for it. Sharian’s arms were all the comfort I needed.

“It’s been a challenging few days, Aila.”

“It’s been a challenge since I arrived here.”

“If you could have avoided it all, would you?”

“There are moments I would like to have avoided but there are many good things that have come about. I now know there is life on other worlds. That’s a worldview changer. There’s magic and dragons and for the first time in my life, I’m in love. Had I never come, I would have never known you existed. I would have lived my life as Luke Williams, eventually gotten married without finding true love, had the typical two point five children and a dog, and worked as a doctor in a sterile monolithic hospital. I know I would have been very dissatisfied with my life. Now you’re stuck with me.”

“I couldn’t be happier about that. How can someone have two and a half children?”

***

When morning came, I extracted myself from Sharian’s arms and went to the bathroom. I teased the knots out of my long hair with my fingers and a touch of magic, then adjusted the dress I was wearing since I was still unable to create something from scratch that fit me well or looked decent.

The mirror’s reflection gave me pause as for the first time I saw myself as Aila and a wife. At first glance, I was checking to see if I was presentable for Sharian. It took a moment for me to realize I was no longer staring at a stranger. I had quickly come full circle and knew without a doubt that I was the happiest I had ever been.

Moving back to the small bed, I bent down and kissed Sharian and watched his eyes slowly open.

“You interrupted my dream.”

“Was it a good dream?”

“In my dream, I was about to toss you on the bed and make love to you. Yes… It was a great dream.”

“Dreams are overrated.”

Sharian grabbed me, pulled me on top of him, and rolled me over. My giggling and laughter quickly changed to soft and gentle moans as he began kissing me down my neck.

We took our time pleasing each other without the pressures of impending death, war, ascensions, or blood curses. Our love making was sensual and passionate and when we finally and reluctantly got up to face the day, I couldn’t do anything or go anywhere without leaning into or touching Sharian.

When we met up with Samantha, Lucassian, and Twila later in the morning, it was Samantha that commented on my peaceful glow. It is odd feeling embarrassed and not embarrassed at the same time. I hugged Samantha and it felt like we had become sisters. I did notice something, however.

“Congratulations, Samantha. Today is your awakening. I could feel your spirit open itself to magic. This means that in two days you will be ten of our years old and you will have your gathering.”

“This is better than shoes shopping.”

“Lucassian, do you feel comfortable explaining to Samantha what she can expect?”

He turned to Samantha and smiled. “I’m yours to command, my lady.”

Samantha giggled. “I could get used to this.”

***

Several weeks had passed and it was now time for the Viangi and the Twuilhe meeting. Although it had been a peaceful few weeks, I had certainly not been idle and much had taken place. Samantha, as it turned out, was a Viangi Senal and three days after her gathering, she travelled alone into the Valley of the Chosen to return with a beautiful blue bird as her companion. That particular bird allowed Samantha to focus on water magic, which had pleased her tremendously as she could now make her drinks hotter or colder to her liking.

Today she stood slightly behind me wearing a dazzling dress, a mischievous smile, and a violet flower in her hair. Her hand was clasped around Lucassian’s and the two appeared to be heading in a very romantic direction. Twila stood near Lucassian and I could sense she felt a little out of place with all the dignitaries around.

Even with everything else going on, Sharian and I had managed to find time to travel to Fanglia, the capital city of the Viangi and get to know the incredibly hospitable citizens there. They had been open and receptive to me and many were looking forward to what the future might bring.

I looked over my shoulder and winked to Syette and Tayodh before turning back to the leaders of the Viangi and the Twuilhe and the additional crowd of people that had gathered.

“Thank you all for coming. It was only two weeks ago today that the Viangi and Twuilhe met across these fields from each other with their hearts set upon the destruction of the other. I have spoken to many of you over the past days and I believe there is a desire for peace. Peace, however, can simply mean tolerance and coexistence. I would like to see us go beyond peace and strive for unity. Unity would mean that we celebrate our differences and come together to forge a new vision for not only our world but perhaps others as well.”

One of the Twuilhe leaders spoke out. “What must happen for us to be unified?”

“It starts with forgiveness. I’ve reviewed magical convergence archives of key events of the past ten years. Vikold used his Nakco blood curse to put under his control key people essential to bringing about strife and discord for the sole purpose of elevating himself into a position of ultimate power. I saw that Master Saurel, acting under Vikold’s influence, strategically placed Twuilhe in locations where Vikold could surprise and overwhelm them leading to the Great Culling. If you can believe this to be true, then you know the great people of the Viangi had no real intention to harm the Twuilhe, but rather Vikold manipulated their emotions and misled them into believing lies about the Twuilhe. Understanding the truth is the first step towards forgiveness but forgiveness is always an individual decision.”

One member of the Viangi looked extremely sorrowful. “What if we don’t deserve forgiveness? We killed parents, wives, and children.”

“Then you begin by forgiving yourselves.”

“High Priestess Aila speaks from the heart. For all Vikold and the Viangi have done to her, she could have easily walked away from or destroyed the Viangi.”

What happened next was profound and touching as the Viangi leaders moved to face their Twuilhe counterparts, fell to their knees, and begged forgiveness. The Twuilhe leaders lifted them to their feet and vowed to seek unification as one people.

“You’ve all taken incredible steps today and I commend you. The Amaru Meru are one people, not two factions. Together we can accomplish anything we set our minds to.”

“What other steps must we take, High Priestess Aila?”

“There are two things I ask. First, that we have traditionally held places of leadership for Masters and Manu. This is not a true representation of all our people. We need to move beyond determining a person’s value by the level of their magic. I ask that Syette and Tayodh, Twila and Lucassian be added to Viangi and Twuilhe leadership.”

There were mumblings about this, but they agreed.

“Secondly, I would like us all to come together to design a new capital city where those Viangi and Twuilhe that wish to live together will have that opportunity.”

“This seems fitting, High Priestess Aila.”

“There is much work for all of us to do, but we will do it together. Let it be known to all people, that unity and peace exist between the Viangi and Twuilhe, and, because I can, I mark this day as an annual day of celebration of the Amaru Meru.”

***

What followed was much discussion and assignment of work and committees, as well as many requests of me to travel Amaru Meru and meet with the people. When the clamor had subsided, and I was finally able to step back from the crowd, Sharian greeted me with a warm embrace.

“It’s nice to know at least one prophecy was correct.”

“Better unification than utter destruction.”

Syette approached us. “Thank you, High Priestess Aila. You have shown me such great favor and I’m completely unaccustomed to such leadership. Vikold treated us badly and yet you elevate me into a position of responsibility and authority. I, for one, will work to assure your vision becomes a reality.”

“Our vision, Syette.”

Syette bowed slightly and slipped away as Twila and Lucassian stepped forward. “You’ve given us a great honor.”

“I trust you both to represent all castes of people well.”

Twila hugged me and Lucassian held back.

“I was wondering, Aila. Would you preside over Samantha’s and my joining ceremony?”

I glanced over at Samantha and smiled. “Of course. You might have to tell me what I’m supposed to do though.”

“Samantha was hoping for a contingency of dragons as well.”

I laughed. “I’ll see what I can do.”

Tayodh came to me next. “Who would have thought that I, the lowliest of all, would be called a leader of my people? I remember the day you arrived and how the slightest sound or vanishing wall would make you tremble. Look at you now. You’re every ounce a High Priestess. You, no doubt, will serve Amaru Meru well.”

“Thank you, Tayodh, I hope that you will always see me in such a favorable light.”

With a hug from me, Tayodh vanished into the crowd leaving Samantha standing there.

“You and Lucassian?”

Samantha smiled. “If the women of Earth only knew how attentive men are here, you could charge high admission at the gate. Your mom always said that all things work out for good. I think she’s right. Had none of this happened, I wouldn’t have been so happy.”

“I was worried you wouldn’t like it here.”

“I want to stay, but I have a few things back on Earth I should wrap up.”

“I think I could arrange a trip. I’m sure we could convince Sharian and Lucassian to come along. Think of it as a wedding present. That and…” I magically created a pair of ugly red high-heel shoes and held them out to her. “…these.”

We both started laughing.

***

With everything settled between the factions, we found a short window of time where we could escape to Earth. I had done my best to create clothing more suitable for tourists in Peru that we could all wear. Sharian and Lucassian were a little worried having never left Amaru Meru before. It gave me some satisfaction knowing Samantha and I would finally be the knowledgeable ones for a change.

I waved my hand and my necklace and ring began to glow. The temple gate shimmered with light and before fully opening, it gave us a view of Earth on the other side. It was dark, and no one was around so with another wave, I opened the gate and we all stepped through.

I had a moment of fear that I might return to Earth suddenly transformed back into my old self, but I knew that magic spell had long been removed from me. The moment we appeared in the crisp Earth air, I looked down at myself and smiled before turning to close the gate behind us.

“Is everyone feeling all right?”

Lucassian gasped. “Earth does have air, right?”

“Of course. We’re at high altitude here. Just breathe slow and deep and you’ll be fine.”

Sharian took my hand in his. “Lead the way.”

We walked down the pathway until we reached the parking area. There I tested my magic and imagined a Land Rover. I was rather pleased with myself with the outcome and we all climbed into it only to discover it wouldn’t run. When I opened the hood, I noticed half of the motor was missing. Apparently, my imagination was lacking specific engineering knowledge. Sighing, I waved my hand to get rid of my useless creation.

“Looks like we do this the old-fashioned way. We teleport. Give me a minute to check out our landing spot.”

In the blink of an eye I was at my old room in the Taypikala Lago Hotel in Puno and very thankful the room was vacant. As I looked out towards Lake Titicaca, it inspired an idea and I returned to the group about ten minutes later.

I brought us all back to my old room and Samantha and I laughed at Sharian and Lucassian trying to figure out how everything worked. They were fascinated with the bathroom, light switches, and the television but frustrated by the language. I transferred my knowledge of Spanish and English to them, so they wouldn’t be completely lost.

Once morning came, we slipped out of the hotel and retraced my path I had taken not more than two short months ago. For me, it was a nostalgic walk as I contemplated everything that had transpired since I was last there. It truly felt like a lifetime ago.

Puno was the same bustling little city as it always had been, and I still felt tall in comparison to the natives even though I was slightly shorter than I had been before. Although I could have created money, I chose to use the leftover money from my old wallet and I made a beeline for the corner store I sat in before.

Having purchased four dulce de leche alfajores and some Inca Kolas, we all sat down at a table. I waited for the reactions from my companions the moment they bit into the alfajores and I wasn’t disappointed.

Sharian reached for my hand and squeezed it. “These are amazing! This is where you grew up?”

“Yes. We lived not far from here.”

“I feel bad I wasn’t here with you.”

“You’re here now. That’s what counts.”

Lucassian was like a squirrel as every new sight and sound caused him to look around. “I had heard the people on Earth were uncivilized. The people here seem kind and friendly. Their technology is impressive.”

“This place we are in is considered primitive to many people. In general, the people in Peru are very gracious and friendly, but people are people and not everyone on Earth is the same.”

When we finished our food and drinks, we stepped out into the busy street just as several helicopters flew over the city in the direction of the lake. Sharian and Lucassian had never seen such a thing.

“There were people flying in those machines! This is amazing!”

“I sort of like the peaceful quiet of our home without aircraft buzzing all around.”

As we walked, we spotted a group of people standing outside the window of an electronics store. News was playing on multiple televisions in both Spanish and English. We paused to watch.

“…discovered this morning. As you can see by our helicopter camera footage, a remarkable geologic feature has risen overnight in Lake Titicaca. We’re switching live to a geologist on a boat…”

A man was running his hands over a smooth stone pillar that rose some twenty feet above the surface of the water. “This is remarkable. There are twenty-five of these pillars, twenty-six if you count the one that looks like two pillars melded together. That melded pillar is of completely different stone. Each pillar must be many thousands of tons and I can’t fathom the geologic processes that must have occurred to thrust these up from the lake bottom.”

There was much commotion behind the man.

“We just identified that there is writing on the pillars. There are dots and pictorial images. This indicates these pillars, or at least the writings are made by intelligent beings…”

The camera view switched back to the helicopter as they panned out revealing all twenty-five pillars.

Sharian pulled me aside. “Did you do that?”

I nodded. “It should take them a few years to decipher the meaning of it. I used the archive to learn where in the Earth’s night sky Amaru Meru is. The twenty-five pillars can be mapped to a star constellation here on Earth. The pillar that is two in one and of a different stone, represents our twin suns and where our world is located. The dots on the pillars are a mathematical Fibonacci sequence to indicate intelligent life create them and I added a pictograph set of symbols that might lead scientists here to believe this was created as a sign.”

“Why would you do this?”

“I hope one day we can reach out to Earth and let them know they’re not alone in the universe. That knowledge could radically transform the people here and give them something else to think about. The people of Earth have become increasingly self-centered and divisive. Knowing there are others in the universe might cause them to unite instead of fighting and bickering amongst themselves. Over time I would like to leave more symbols and one day, when the time is right, I would expose the people of Earth to the truth of their existence.”

I pulled them all with me into a quiet alley. “I want to introduce you to two wonderful people.”

We gathered together and in the blink of an eye we were standing in a beautiful, serene place with manicured grass, trees, and flowers. Before us were two gray headstones amongst many all around us. A fresh wave of sadness fell upon me and as my tears fell, I dropped to my knees and created a bouquet of flowers that I placed on my Earthly parent’s graves.

“Mom. Dad. I wish you were still here to see me and to guide me with your wisdom. Growing up, I believed everything you told me, then as I got older, I began to question your beliefs. Now that you’re gone, I realize the folly of my ways and wish you were here to tell me when I’m wrong. Sometimes I wonder how you could continue to give of yourselves even to people that had their hearts filled with evil and darkness; how you were so free to offer forgiveness that I often struggle to give. I love and miss you both so much.”

When I stood, Sharian hugged me. “These are memorials to the people that raised you?”

I nodded.

“I wonder what they would think if they knew who you really were, High Priestess of the worlds.”

I laughed a little. “I know what they would say. First, they would tell me not to have a big head. Then they would say that no matter who you are, or what role you play, it’s important to treat everyone as if they are the most important person in the world. I know I fall short every day, but I hope the lessons they taught me about goodness, love, and kindness will make me a better person and better leader.”

Sharian produced two flowers of his own and placed one on each gravestone. “Thank you both for taking care of my Aila. You would be proud of her.”

I sniffed and pulled everyone into a group hug.

“I love you guys. What do you say, Samantha? Should we introduce these two to sushi?”

***

***

End of Doorway to Amaru Meru

Thank you for taking the time to read this final section of my story. Normally, I write complete stories, but I was lured by the January Reader Retention Contest to write a complete story as a series. The contest counts the kudos and reads, so if you liked this part, please offer a kudos.

On January 16th, I will publish an author’s commentary on Doorway to Amaru Meru giving my readers a chance to hear my thoughts as to the what, why, and how the story unfolded as it did.

As always, I love to hear from you. Please leave a comment or send me a message.

Casey Brooke

up
262 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ex Draconis Machina?!!

Bad dragon, no biscuit!

Just kidding.

So, dragon takes a bite out of crime and it turns out there were two villains, sorta. It is almost like a Scooby Doo revealment scene :).

So Beor, would you like a Nakcos snack?

Snack yummy

mountaindrake's picture

Humans should remember that you are crunchy and taste good even better with condiments. It is better to eat bad humans the good ones can learn to be a benefit to all.

Have a good day and enjoy life.

Yikes!

It's the old fish gotta swim, dragon's gotta eat gambit.

Or the Shaggy version

Yoiks!

It’s the ol’ fish gotta swim, dragon’s gotta eat gambit, Scoob!

do not annoy a dragon

because you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

lovely ending

DogSig.png

Fantastic Story

Enemyoffun's picture

I started reading this story when you posted the first part. It was the first time I read anything you wrote. I was amazed. I quickly went to read your other works. They were very good as well. I can't wait to read more of your writing in the future :).

Other tales

My5InchFMHeels's picture

If you haven't gotten around to them yet; The Cauldron, Amaia, Thyria's Bow, and especially Shalim IV are probably all in my top 10-15 favorites on BC.

Excellent

My5InchFMHeels's picture

This was a excellent ending to a wonderful story. And so much could be done with it if the inspiration should ever visit.

Serial or not, I'll be watching for your next story.

So here it ends.

Monique S's picture

That unfotunately means I can give no more Kudos to show my appreciation :(
I wish you luck with this contribution, Casey.

Monique.

Monique S

Excellent

As always your stories are amazing, this is one of you better ones. I loved that Beor just ate vikold it was pretty funny. I wonder if Aila’s children will inherit dragon magic.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

First scene with tasty Vikold reminded me...

... of a scene from some old Japanese or Hong-Kong movie where karate/kung-fu master was placed against young samurai. Young samurai watched moves of the karate master for some time. Then just cut off one of the legs of the karate master, when it got too close to him, with his sword.
Sword trumps legs. Gun trumps sword (if correctly used). Big gun trumps gun. Dragon trumps all :-)
(if you know what the movie was - tell me please. As I seen it in my teens when I understood about 10 words of English and no other languages, and movie was in some Oriental language with English subtitles...)

I only know...

Aine Sabine's picture

Gun trumps sword. Raiders of th Lost Ark!

Wil

Aine

Snack Dragon?

Superbly inventive. Everybody is psyched up for a battle royal between Aila and Vikold when Beor leans over and crunches Vikold.........end of game. Unexpected and brilliant move to end a trouble maker. I just love it.

Will

You're a BIG TEASE!

NoraAdrienne's picture

Now that you've shown us this world. Will you take us to the other world's that do hold Aile as High Priestess?

Welcome to Chinese

food. And nachos. Earth may be the only civilization with rudimentary space travel, Pern indeed.

Loved it!

Aine Sabine's picture

This was an awesome book! I need a new printer so I can bind all your works! LOL!

Wil

Aine

Marvelous story

Jamie Lee's picture

So it was snack time for a dragon and that ended the real problem all along. To bad good hot sauce wasn't there, Vikold might have tasted even better.

Aila found out, after the cause was removed, the people didn't want a war, and her meadiating showed them a better way to live in harmony.

Samantha did turn out alright in the end, especially after riding a dragon. She actually found a happiness that eluded her before.

This fantastic story pulled the reader along with the adventure in each chapter. Each chapter let the reader guess what might happen given the action in that chapter, only to be surprised by what actually happened.

Because of the gates to other worlds, more adventures would be fun to read.

Others have feelings too.