Doorway to Amaru Meru Part 7

Printer-friendly version

Doorway to Amaru Meru

Part 7 of 8

Amaru.jpg

I was afraid of what this might mean. How can the Earth gate be opened without the ring and necklace or the right celestial events?

“It must be Vikold. Syette, did you know he could do this or what his plans are?”

“For many years he has been trying to find a way to open the gates. He has attempted to open them many times. Before you came, I believe he wanted to go to Earth to find you, now, I have no idea what is motivating him.”

“Whatever it is, it can’t be good.”

“I think I could get to the gate magically, but I’m not sure it’s wise to go alone.”

Sharian and Lucassian came forward. “We’ll go with you.”

“I can go as well.”

I looked at Syette and wasn’t certain I could fully trust her yet. “Whatever Vikold is planning, I’m going to need support from the Viangi. I’d appreciate it if you and Tayodh could go to the Viangi capital and try to persuade them that the Twuilhe and I are not threats.”

“Twila. I need you to do the same for the Twuilhe.”

They nodded and left leaving Beor, Lucassian, and Sharian with me. “Beor. I’ll call you if I need you.”

Beor flew off and vanished in a flash of light. I wondered when I teleported if I did the same.

I gathered Sharian and Lucassian together and glanced back at my necklace. The bead representing the Earth gate and my ring had stopped glowing. “Whatever Vikold did, the gate wasn’t open very long. Let’s get over there.”

Placing a hand on each of them, I willed us to the Earth gate temple.

***

The world vanished and then reappeared before us. The last time I was here I was in little state to see what was left of the temple after my magic exploded outward and Beor crashed his way in. There were large stones and debris littered across the tiled floors. At first glance, the room was empty.

A small cry sounded from our left and out of the shadows Vikold stepped forward with a rather disheveled looking blonde woman in his grasp. I recognized her right away. It was Samantha.

“Let her go, Vikold.”

Vikold kept Samantha tight against him. “I thought you would be dead by now.”

“For all your attempts at turning and killing me, you never succeeded. Let her go and I’ll let you live.”

Vikold laughed. “You can’t harm me. The Nakco blood curse still flows in your veins.”

“Are you certain you want to test your theory?”

Vikold looked from me to Sharian and Lucassian before biting Samantha on her neck and pushing her forward towards us. Samantha began screaming and I knew the kind of pain she was going through. I reached for her as she slumped to the floor.

“Let him go. We have bigger problems.”

Samantha was convulsing on the floor as I faced the Earth gate. I stretched forth my hand and sealed the gate. Only the ring and necklace could open it again.

“I’ve sealed the gate for now. Let’s get Samantha to the Dragon Temple.”

“Who is Samantha?”

“I know this woman from Earth.”

Lucassian gently lifted the now unconscious Samantha up into his arms. Seconds later we were standing in the Dragon Temple.

“Wow… This is quite the place.”

“Take her into the bedroom and lie her down on the bed. You need to stay close to me Lucassian.”

“Why?”

Sharian guided Lucassian into the bedroom. “Because if you don’t, you’ll be dragon food.”

Lucassian laid Samantha on the bed and stepped back. I reached down and tenderly stroked her face. “I’m sorry you got pulled into this, Samantha.”

I turned to Sharian. “If Samantha responds like the way I responded, then she should sleep for a few days. We need to find a way to counter the Nakco curse.”

“How do you know her?”

“She… She was my girlfriend back on Earth.”

“Your girlfriend?”

I spun away from Sharian and Lucassian to hide my embarrassment. “When I was sent to Earth, I was transformed into a boy. You know this.”

Sharian’s voice grew slightly agitated. “You and her…?”

I turned back to face him. “No. We never… I was confused. I cared for her, but I can’t say that I loved her. Every time I had a dream, I woke questioning myself. I was never able to give my heart to anyone.”

Sharian hugged me tight and kissed me. “You don’t have to explain. I believe you for I know we could never have what we have had you ever given your heart to someone else. How did Vikold know about her?”

I paced back and forth. “I don’t know. The gate wasn’t open very long. He only had time to travel to Earth and come back. I’m guessing he was testing his ability and by some random chance, Samantha must have been there on the other side. Knowing that I care for the people of Earth, I can imagine Vikold thought he had something to bargain with and simply grabbed her.”

Lucassian looked at Samantha. “It was probably part of his test to see if he could bring someone back through the gate. Even infecting Samantha might be something he had planned all along.”

“For what purpose?”

“People. Followers. Technology. If you want power, the Nacko curse could be used to get access to all of that. The people of Earth, with no magic, would be easy targets.”

I paced back and forth. “How do we negate the Nakco curse?”

Sharian put his hand on my shoulder. “I understand you care for her, but she may be lost.”

“I don’t accept that. How can the Amaru Meru create an orb that can regenerate a High Priestess or a collar that can absorb magic?”

“Those are ancient technologies.”

“Then it’s a good thing we’re in an archive filled with ancient information. Lucassian, please stay with Samantha.”

***

We had spent an entire day researching and the result was rather frustrating.

“Is it really this simple, Sharian?”

“Simple for you, not the rest of us.”

“Everything we have seen indicates that the High Priestess magically created these objects. There’s no spell, no special formula.”

“In some ways, it makes sense. If anyone could create an object that could regenerate a High Priestess, then you would think that High Priestesses would have been assassinated in the past. The creating of the orb was done by a High Priestess. I think you just need to concentrate on making an object that will remove the Nakco curse.”

“Why do I even need an object? I’m certain I can simply use my magic to destroy the curse in Samantha.” I growled. “I’m so stupid. All this power…”

“But now you know, Aila. This knowledge truly unlocks your full capabilities.”

I frowned as I moved into the bedroom and sat next to Samantha. I looked back at Sharian and Lucassian. “This may have negative consequences.”

Sharian looked at me questioningly. “How so?”

“You just have to know Samantha… Here goes nothing.”

I felt the sparks of my magic dance between my fingers. Looking down on the peaceful sleeping face of Samantha, I closed my eyes and focused on destroying the Nakco curse. My hand moved towards her heart and paused. I concentrated on the release from bondage, the freedom from the curse, and then I touched her skin.

Samantha’s body jumped on the bed as if I had used electric paddles to start her heart. I waited an impossibly long minute when suddenly Samantha’s eyes opened.

Her voice was weak and strained. “I must have had too much to drink last night. Who are you?”

I noted she was speaking English and it took a little effort for me to switch. “I’m Aila. What do you remember?”

Lucassian brought a glass of water and I helped Samantha take a sip.

“I came here to Peru to find Luke, my old boyfriend. I went from hotel to hotel until finally someone said they had a room registered to him, but they were upset because he never checked out. Then I happened to overhear a motorcycle rental guy complaining about a man that rented a motorcycle and left it at the Gate of the Gods. I remember Luke mentioning this site before, so I went there hoping I might find some clue as to what happened to him. That’s when some weird stuff happened.”

“Weird stuff?”

“I’m certain it was all a dream. I dreamt I was sitting there looking at this big, useless piece of carved stone when suddenly the whole thing lit up like a million light bulbs had turned on. This strange guy appears, looks around, grabs me and takes me away to a broken-down stone building. There were other people there… Wait. You were all there.”

Samantha tried to push herself up, but I put my hand on her shoulder to keep her down.

“Samantha, I need you to breathe. Take a deep breath and then I’ll help you up.”

She stared at me but took a breath and I eased her up into a sitting position. She looked from me to Sharian and to Lucassian and then around the room. She started breathing rapidly then grabbed her neck where Vikold had bitten her. “This isn’t real!”

“Shhhh. Calm yourself. You were looking for Luke Williams.”

“Yes! You know him?”

“I do, actually.”

Samantha looked me over carefully and sighed. “I knew there must be someone else. God, you’re gorgeous. No wonder.”

“It’s not like that, Samantha.”

“Wait? How do you know my name? Where is Luke? Where am I? Did you kidnap me? Where’s my phone?”

I touched Samantha on her forehead and used a little magic to put her to sleep before I laid her back down. I stood and took Sharian and Lucassian to the side.

“This is going to be hard for her, but the good news is it looks like the curse is gone. She doesn’t know where she is. I could take her back to Earth, but there’s another problem.”

“What is the problem?”

“She’s not quite ten of our years old and when Vikold bit her, his magic infused her. Although the curse is gone, there is a very good chance she is going to come of age and try to gather magic. It’s as if she was magically awakened.”

Sharian looked concerned. “So, if she were to go back and have her coming of age what would happen?”

“My guess is as good as any, but I suspect she might die. Earth has no magic for her to draw. I think we must keep her here at least until she comes of age.”

Lucassian stared at Samantha. “I can look after her.”

Sharian laughed. “I’m sure you would like that.”

Lucassian blushed. “She’s not anything like Aila… I mean she’s pretty. Not as beautiful as Aila, but still pretty.”

I laughed. “That might be just what she needs.”

***

I leaned over Samantha and pushed her hair from her eyes. A slight bit of magic caused her to stir. “Good morning, Samantha.”

Samantha’s eyes opened slowly. “Hmm. You again?”

“We have a lot to discuss.”

Samantha’s voice was tinged with anger. “I’m sure. What the hell is going on?”

“There’s no easy way to tell you, I think it’s best to show you.”

Sharian was sitting not too far away. “This will go over well.” He smiled as he said it.

“Let’s get you up.”

“What did that man say? What language is that?”

“It’s the language of the Amara Meru.”

“Amaru what?”

“You’re going to need some food, but I think that should wait until I give you the grand tour.”

I guided Samantha over to the doorway that led into the Dragon Temple. I opened it and walked her through.

“This place is called the Dragon Temple. It’s a library of sorts, but it is also protected by dragons.”

“Enough with the jokes. Where am I?”

Beor walked in from the outside platform and came over to us.

Samantha was shaking and almost ready to pass out. “That’s…”

“A dragon. His name is Beor.” I reached up and stroked his cheek. “He’s my animal companion. Sharian, the man in the bedroom, is my husband.”

Samantha was in shock, but she was still speaking which was a good sign.

“This doesn’t look like Earth.”

“You’re right, it isn’t.” I guided her to the outside platform so we could look down on the river and jungle below. The twin suns and two moons were all visible. “Welcome to Amaru Meru.”

***

What transpired over the next four hours was a great deal of explanation. I told Samantha about the gateway to Earth, about Vikold, and even about magic. As she began to realize the enormity of her situation, she began to get introspective and her questions became much more personal.

“You say I was infused with magic by Vikold’s bite and you think I might be a witch now?”

I smiled. “No. All the people of Amaru Meru have magic. Your twenty-fifth birthday is coming up soon, isn’t it?”

“How do you know this?”

I took Samantha back inside the temple and waved my hand towards the stone wall. There was an image of a little girl with her parents. “That little girl is me and behind her is the gate to Earth that you came through. Watch closely.”

“The girl changed into a boy and then he went through the gate.”

“Yes. Those were my parents and they used their magic to hide me and protect me.”

“Why?”

“Because the man, Vikold, wished to control me so he could destroy an entire faction of people. You’ll see next that he attacked, and my parents defended the gate until it closed. Unfortunately, in defending me and the gate, they were killed.”

“You appeared on Earth as a little boy?”

“Yes. I grew up on Earth.”

Samantha was very silent for a long time, but I allowed her time to process things.

“You said you knew Luke Williams. He has a story about being found at the Gate of the Gods and adopted by his parents.”

“I am Luke Williams, Samantha.”

“But… no… This can’t be.”

***

It took another few hours to prove to Samantha that I was Luke. It was a long and difficult conversation, but she slowly began to understand all of it.

“That’s why you struggled to commit to me. It wasn’t me at all.”

I didn’t have the heart to tell her that it was also her.

“What a trip. So, you went to Peru and felt called to go to the gate on the winter solstice and you came through to this world?”

“Yes. In the process of passing through the gate, the spell that hid me as a male, completed and I landed here as you see me now.”

“Unbelievable. You must have been so frightened.”

“I was. I thought I was dreaming.”

“And Sharian is your husband?”

I blushed. “Yes.”

“How can you go from being a male on Earth to a woman here and suddenly being married?”

“I know it may sound strange, but when I was a young girl, Sharian was magically chosen for me. It doesn’t feel weird or strange. I was born female and all my life I felt like there was something else for me, a different role, and even someone else waiting for me.”

“This all makes sense now; how you struggled with commitment and why you felt like you weren’t on the right path.”

“You mentioned you came to Peru to find me. Why?”

“I did a lot of soul searching after you left. At first, I was angry with you, but then I took some time to assess myself. I hadn’t realized how broken I was; how manipulative. I didn’t like how I left things with you and I needed closure. I came to apologize and to see if there was any chance we could be together.”

“And now?”

“The Luke I knew no longer exists and I’m on another planet. It’s a lot to absorb. What I don’t understand is why Vikold wanted to control you.”

I sighed. “That’s another lengthy discussion and I need to spend time with Sharian. Let me introduce you to Lucassian., but first you need to learn our language.”

I reached out and touched Samantha’s forehead.

“Can you understand me?”

“I can… Wow. You could make millions on Earth with that trick. If I get magic, will I be able to do that?”

“That depends of your level of magic and your focus abilities.”

Samantha had many more questions, but I led her back to Lucassian.

“Lucassian, meet Samantha. I hope you can help answer some of Samantha’s questions and she needs some food.”

“I’m happy to help.”

I slipped into Sharian’s arms as I watched Lucassian lead Samantha towards a balcony.

“How did that go, Aila?”

“I think she will be all right. I’m not so sure about me.”

“What’s the matter?”

“It’s one thing for me to go through and to adapt, but to know others are struggling because of me is hard to deal with. Samantha’s arrival has complicated things. Mentally, I’ve had to go back and assess everything I’ve done.”

“I think I can understand that. You had another life on Earth. To move forward, you had to compartmentalize your thinking and figure out what was happening here. That meant setting aside Earth and people that were close to you.”

“Exactly. Here, I’m Aila and everyone seems to know what I’m supposed to do and be. Trying to explain that to someone from Earth gets really complicated, especially when that person knew me as Luke Williams. Do you think Lucassian and Samantha will be all right here by themselves for a bit?”

“You want to leave them?”

“I’d like to repair the temple and the throne room of Yalshema and hopefully learn more about what Vikold is up to.”

“How long do you think that might take?”

“Overnight. I was hoping we could find a room somewhere.”

Sharian smiled. “I’ll go check with Lucassian and make sure he doesn’t wander too far. If I know Lucassian, which I do, he seems rather taken with Samantha.”

***

The temple with the Earth gate was very quiet. I had learned much about how my magic worked and repairing the temple wall and roof was a simple matter of me visualizing how it was supposed to be and letting my magic flow. I watched as large stones rose up and fitted themselves back into place and this made me remember the scenes of High Priestesses on Earth raising monuments.

While I repaired the temple, Sharian looked to see if he could find anything that would indicate Vikold’s plans. He returned to the main temple just as I was finishing the repairs.

“The place is cleaned out. Maybe we’ll find out more at Yalshema.”

“It would be nice to simply take a boat ride down the river again, but we promised Lucassian and Samantha we would be back tomorrow morning. Are you ready?”

“I’m ready for a room and a bed. Let’s hope this time we receive a better welcome.”

I wrapped my arms around Sharian and kissed him. “This time we stay together.”

***

The throne room in Yalshema had been vacant when we arrived, and I quickly made the repairs to the roof before the two of us explored the city. The city was strangely vacant, and it wasn’t until we walked into the residential area that we saw anyone.

“High Priestess Aila! Master Sharian!”

We turned to see a woman running towards us. “Twila. It’s good to see you. Where is everyone?”

“You’ve not heard?”

“We’ve been rather busy.”

“Vikold has mobilized his Viangi army. They were spotted heading north of the Viangi capital city. Master Saurel gathered the Twuilhe. There is going to be a war.”

Sharian spoke what I was thinking. “They must have left recently. Assuming Vikold had a head start then the armies would come together near the Markan fields as early as tomorrow.”

“Between Vikold and Saurel, I get the feeling there will be much bloodshed. What happened during the Great Culling? How were the Twuilhe killed?”

“Vikold caught them off guard. He attacked the Twuilhe in small groups making sure his Viangi were killing them all before they could heal. With both armies fully aware of each other, the Viangi will cause destruction while the Twuilhe will rebuild and heal. It will be a painful standoff.”

“Then why attack?”

“I’m guessing Vikold believes he can take the Twuilhe off guard again.”

“Let’s get back to the dragon temple. I think I might have an idea.”

***

It was only seconds after arriving at the temple when Samantha started asking more questions.

“Is it true?”

“Is what true, Samantha?”

“Lucassian explained to me why Vikold wanted to control you. You’re like the President but for an entire world.”

Sharian clarified things for her. “She’s High Priestess over twenty-two worlds. Twenty-one, plus this one. Although most of the other worlds, like Earth, would not recognize her.”

“Oh my God. You’re like Queen of the Universe.”

I sighed. “And I was wondering if being a doctor would have been too much. Give me a few moments.”

I walked out into the Dragon Temple and called to Beor.

The others stayed at the door to the bedroom, but I felt their eyes on me as the massive dragon landed and came to me.

“I have a request of you, my friend.”

***

When I returned to the bedroom and after Beor had flown off, I was inundated with more questions.

“I still can’t believe you’re Queen of the Universe. How do I get a dragon?”

“It’s not that simple, Samantha.”

Sharian touched my cheek with his hand. “What are you planning, Aila?”

“A third army to hold everyone at bay until I can get the Viangi and Twuilhe leaders to talk. I’m just not sure you will like what I’m thinking.”

***

The next morning, I led the others from the bedroom and out onto the Dragon Temple platform.

“While the dragons have agreed, they won’t necessarily be happy about it.”

Beor landed as did three other large dragons.

“Stay here a moment.”

I went to Beor and stroked his cheek before addressing the other dragons.

“These are my friends. Please don’t eat them.”

“They know this is as important to them as it is to the people of Amaru Meru, Aila.”

“Sharian. Come here, please.” I waited until Sharian came to my side. A large red dragon shifted uneasily next to me. “Sharian, this is Ukar. He will lead one half of the dragons. Be safe, my love.”

“I will.”

Sharian climbed up onto the dragon’s neck as I moved over to another large dragon. “Lucassian.”

“You’re certain about this, Aila?”

The dragon stretched his neck out and sniffed Lucassian.

“They want to help us. Gondyr, this is Lucassian. You and Bivalth will lead the other half of the dragons.”

Lucassian quickly climbed up onto the dragon’s neck leaving a medium sized female dragon without someone. I waved to Samantha.

“Your turn, Samantha.”

Samantha moved to my side and bravely stretched out her hand towards the gray dragon.

“She’s beautiful.”

“With the exception of Sharian and me, you will be the first person to ever ride one of these creatures. Bivalth, this is Samantha. You both will fly next to Lucassian and Gondyr.”

“This is a great privilege, Aila.”

I helped Samantha up onto the dragon before giving final instructions.

“Lock your feet under their shoulder scales and hang on tight. You’re not flying them, rather they are merely carrying you. I’ll be communicating to them through Beor.”

I walked over to Beor and climbed up onto his neck.

“I’m as ready as I’ll ever be.”

Beor thrust his wings down and we rose rapidly into the sky, a sky almost black from the large numbers of dragons flying all around us. We flew slightly southwest towards the Markan fields. Beor and I arrived before the others to assess the situation.

To the south were thousands of Viangi and to the north of the fields were slightly fewer Twuilhe. We had arrived just in time as it appeared as if the two armies were getting ready to rush across the fields at each other.

Beor and I dove between the two armies and Beor let out a blast of fire before we landed in the very center of the fields between both armies. Behind us, thousands of dragons dropped from the skies. Lucassian and Samantha’s dragons led their half of the dragons to line up and face the Twuilhe while Sharian and his dragon did the same opposing the Viangi. From my perspective, the dragons did much to stop the advance of the two armies.

Dismounting, I concentrated on a design and the ground began to churn at my feet. The grasses and flowers parted, and a mass of circular stone erupted around me. It rose up and created a stone platform with three symmetrical spires rising above the rest.

Ukar, Gondyr, and Bivalth landed behind Beor and Sharian, Lucassian, and Samantha joined me on the stone surface of my newly made temple.

“That’s a pretty impressive entrance, Aila.”

“Let’s hope it has the right impact, Sharian.”

“Beor, have the dragons move aside for the Viangi and Twuilhe leaders to pass through to come to meet me here.”

We watched as the dragons in front of Vikold and Saurel shifted to the side. The intent was clear, and it didn’t take long for Vikold and five of the Viangi leaders to boldly step forward even as their eyes betrayed their fear of the dragons. Saurel followed suit with his leaders.

When they were halfway to my new temple, I rose up into the air so that everyone could clearly see me. I could hear the shouts of awe from the gathered armies and Vikold and Saurel stopped their approach. Using a little magical enhancement, I spoke to everyone.

“For those of you that have not met me yet, I’m Aila, your chosen High Priestess. In the absence of a High Priestess, many atrocities took place. I’m not here today to assess blame, but to seek unity for all the people of Amara Meru.”

I paused to let that sink in before continuing.

“I’m not on the side of the Viangi, nor the Twuilhe, but on both of your sides. From what I have learned, I’m unique. I’m different than any other High Priestess that has come before me. My animal companion is a dragon, and this has granted me access to the magic of dragons. I’ve also been touched by extremes of dark and light magic, from Nakco to Lioca. My power is vastly greater than any High Priestess. I don’t tell you these things as a threat, but rather to let you know I can stop this war if I chose to. As you can see, I also have the support of the dragons.”

“I’m here today to tell you the truth. We are one people of two factions separated by our magical disciplines. Dark and light magic are not evil and good, but necessary opposites to each other. Evil, exists in everyone, including your leaders. It is evil that causes us to believe that the destruction of the Twuilhe or Viangi would set us free, but the reality is that the destruction of either would mean the destruction of all, for balance must be maintained.”

“I will now meet with the Twuilhe and Viangi leadership, but the decision to go to war this day, isn’t theirs alone, it’s all of yours. If you choose to fight, knowing the destruction of who you think is your enemy will ultimately destroy yourselves, then so be it. I will withdraw the dragons, leave to another world, and let you fight. It’s your choice, not mine, for I won’t lead a people bent on destruction of themselves.”

I lowered myself back to the ground and watched as close to three quarters of both armies turned and walked away. That was a good start.

Vikold and Saurel were fuming mad as they both led their leaders the rest of the way to the temple platform.

I was surprised when Saurel spoke first.

“This is an outrage! No High Priestess has ever intervened in such a blatant disregard to the social order and in such a vulgar display of magic. I denounce you, Aila.”

“Master Saurel. Whether or not you accept me as High Priestess know that I have ascended and am the High Priestess. What’s lurking in your heart that you would have such a negative reaction to me? Could it be that you wished me to side with the Twuilhe? That you wished me to exterminate all the Viangi?”

“The Viangi should pay for their actions in the Great Culling and any real High Priestess would support that.”

“Really? You think I should randomly kill some ten thousand Viangi, leaving widows and orphans in my wake, causing the same suffering that the Great Culling caused on the Twuilhe? Evil acts do not require an evil response.”

Vikold stood there with his arms crossed and a smug smile on his face.

“Is this the consensus of all the Twuilhe leadership? Am I wrong? Am I unworthy to be High Priestess?”

That shut them up for the moment. I turned to face Vikold.

“And you, Vikold? I believe your motivation has been clear all along. You tried to turn me towards the darkness to control me so that you could use me to destroy the Twuilhe because you knew that without the element of surprise, the Viangi couldn’t eradicate the Twuilhe.”

Vikold took a step towards me. Everyone around me tensed, including Beor.

“You think you understand my motivation, but you’re a naïve little girl lacking knowledge. You think your parents sent you through the gate for your protection, but it was to spare them the shame of raising a defective High Priestess. It was an honor to kill them for the glory of Amaru Meru.”

The images of my parents burning at the hands of Vikold and the Viangi gave rise to great anger within me. Magic sparked between my fingertips.

Vikold smiled. “You can’t even control yourself. You’re a disgrace. You can’t kill me, Aila. I own you. I created you and now I will prove it to everyone by killing you.”

I could both feel and see the massive magical energy Vikold was building in himself. Red magic danced across his hands as he raised them towards me.

***

End of Part 7

Thank you for taking the time to read this section of my story. Normally, I write complete stories, but I was lured by the January Reader Retention Contest to write a complete story as a series. The contest counts the kudos and reads, so if you liked this part, please offer a kudos.

This story is a complete novel made up of eight parts. I plan to post one part every two days so watch for the final part, part 8 coming January 15th.

As always, I love to hear from you. Please leave a comment or send me a message.

Casey Brooke

up
251 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I think I would like to see

Monique S's picture

Aila make Vivkold implode with his own magic!

Monique S

He just keeps trying.

The only keeping him alive to try again is plot armor.

The only question now is whether it'll be Aila or the dragons that will turn him into a pile of dust. Or maybe a pot of flowers.

Maybe

There are other ways to destroy an enemy without physically doing so.

She can simply contain him while he rails and exhausts himself or cuts him off from his access to magic lowering his caste to zero.

The leadership can change then.

Her true power is in her impartiality.

The dark side will need to show penance for what they’ve done in the Culling.

How she handles him will set the tone for her service.

Vikhold

He’s done his life is over he has crossed too many lines, the only question is how he dies and by whom. Also didn’t Beor say that once she ascended she would be immune to their magic because of their bond or something. I wonder if he is going to attack sharian or someone else.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Not On My Watch!

Aine Sabine's picture

I watch video and had tears in my eyes! That's the true Doctor, not his gender. It's the Message!
Loved this Chapter! Hope he doesn't expect to use Samantha and I hope she's really cured!

Wil

Aine

Amaru Meru! Read it now!

Amaru Meru is a well written story and there is only one chapter left! Get busy and read the whole story in one gulp if you can.

I excitely await the final chapter to see how balance is achieved.

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

The worst punishment for him

The worst punishment for him would be to strip him of his magic and make him live without it.

Uh oh

I wonder how this standoff will turn out.

Attack first

Vikold should have looked at the Evil Overlord list. Attack first, monologue only after you've won.

Attack first

In this case, he needs to rally his remaining supporters. Monologuing has an actual practical purpose.

Aila

Didn't she say she had Dragon Fire? Now would be a good time.

Nieve

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Vikold calls her nieve, but he is truly foolish. That's not going to end well for him.

Cliffhanger!

Excellent story with the ultimate cliffhanger ending in the second from last chapter. Guaranteed readership for chapter 8. Of course the quality of this is also a big factor in keeping your readers engrossed.
Thank you for sharing.

Back blast

Jamie Lee's picture

Vikold sure is playing with fire if he thinks he has the power to destroy Aila. He knows nothing of dragon magic and that Aila took the orb from Saurel when he was going to use it on her.

If the orb had no affect on Aila then Vikold is in for one big surprise when his magic either harmlessly hit Aila or cooks his own goose.

Others have feelings too.