It Was an Accident

Printer-friendly version

When i was a little boy, i never would have guessed my little prank would turn into the cause of many generations of mass hysteria. I think i am getting ahead of myself, so lets start from the very beginning.

My name is Henry Leighton. I am 18 years old fresh out of high school. I was an all-American athlete. I played football and cheer, i was captain of the wrestling team, i ran short distance and long distance track and field, and i did gymnastics and ballet in the summer. I was also one of if not the best Shakespearean actor to grace the theatre of that school since the program opened. (Ask my drama teacher Mrs. Hayes, told the whole class i was her favorite). I graduated top of my class with honors as Valedictorian. I hope to one day become a doctor and cure every known disease.

I know what you are thinking, "Henry, that's a bit ambitious dont you think?" I'll be the first one to tell you you are right but also wrong. You see, normal medicine cannot begin to come close to what i have in mind. Of course this goes against every rule They have ever taught me. Never reveal the true extent of miraculous events. In air quotes. They say it all the time but have no real power to actually stop me. Actually, that is how i was able to breeze through all those thirteen years of school. Did i forget to mention that magic is real. Yeah I'm a mage. Or at least i will be some day. It takes years of honing your skills and ability to become a mage. What i actually am is a demimage. This means that i have some control over my power and can use it sparingly without hurting myself. I am only one spell from being granted the title of mage. After that only one other person has ever become the strongest magic mage to exist, The Encantor. He died over three thousand years ago. Legend says he found a way to reincarnate.

Well, as it is, i know from my many studies through my lifetime that a person is formed by their environment. This means that even if it were true, the Encantor would have no memories of his former self. You see, in the event of a reincarnation, as the person gets older, they will have bouts of Déjà Vu. Over time they will start to remember but will pass it off as nothing but a dream. You may be asking yourself, "How are you so knowledgeable about this?" Well i can answer that, i have been studying the work of The Encantor since i was eight years old. It has been what has allowed me to stay so focused.

Anyway, back to the true focus of our narrative. You see, i was always a bit of a prankster growing up. Now i know what you have in mind, let me be the one to burst your bubble. I am not going to become a doctor to terrorize people, you sick bastard... sorry. I want to be a doctor so that i can unite the worlds of science and magic.

I dont think it will go very far into the discovery but i have gotten pretty good at being subtle. My plan is to create potions that will alow small amounts of magic to permiate the body. I guess its good that im not that strong otherwise, or i might end up wiping out half of life as we know it... wow, am i lucky. Where was i, oh yeah, after i finish medical school, i am going to open a clinic with my best friend Helen. She is a nom, thats a non magical human for all of you noms out there. I told her about my magic about a year into our friendship. She was freaked out at first but then she warmed up to the idea of the mystic properties that surround us. It was actually her idea to fuse the magical with the scientific. Brilliant girl but she had to work hard to understand a lot of things.

 

Authors note:
Hello readers. I wanted to take the next story i have in a different direction. I feel that it will help make the stories fit together. Seeing as this story is already longer than my previous works i have decided to make it multiple chapters. Dont worry, we'll get to the actual tg in the next chapter but for now you can get caught up on my previously mentioned other works. Keep in mind that my older works "Not Myself Today" and "Stranger by the Hour" will not be considered canon. Please let me know how i am doing all comments (constructive) are welcome.

up
107 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ambitious Goal

Daphne Xu's picture

But very much laudatory. Uniting the worlds of science and magic really entails understanding how magic works. (Science means understanding things, not memorizing the various facts established by science.)

Cell-phone devices allow one to talk to someone a long distance away, while apparently talking to oneself. (A small box in one's hand is unnecessary.)

Or how about Shock and Awe from Darth Sidious and Winifred Sanderson? Would standing barefoot on the ground defend you from the lightning bolts? (The lightning bolts should go straight into the ground next to the caster -- or into the caster herself -- and get nowhere near the target.)

-- Daphne Xu

I've actually seen it

I've seen it before on Disney's The Sorcerer's Apprentice and also Thor where magic is just science we dont understand. Well, i wanted to take that a bit further i guess you're right about the star wars and hocus pocus.(took a while to get the reference) though i want to make it more like Wizards of Waverly Place i know its ambitious (thank you for that by the way i was waiting for that since i started writing) but i feel if it is done right, it will shine even bigger than the Disney Overloards who can make anything happen at the literal snap of the gloved left thumb and index finger.
Thanks for the input and validation.

You're welcome. "Gloved left

Daphne Xu's picture

You're welcome. "Gloved left thumb and index finger" -- a reference to The Mouse?

There's one cheap way to reconcile magic with science: inside a computer simulation, the laws of physics go poof. I tried it with my least-well received story, "Naughty Outdoor Adventures".

-- Daphne Xu

Disney takeover

I was making a jab at disney and how everything disappears around them after mcu and star wars... and fox. The gloved left hand was a reference to Thanos. Im usually too chicken to name names.