Masks 21: Part 2

Printer-friendly version

Part Two

"Good afternoon," said Energia, to the group gathered in the meeting room. "I'm here to give you some practical information on super costumes."

This time she was more at ease. Perhaps because the subject was more focused, as well as more familiar. Energia noted that two of The FX team members were in attendance.

"First, let me explain that my own attitude towards costumes is quite different even from those of most masks." She indicated what she was wearing with posture and a sweeping gesture of her hands. "I started wearing a super costume at a pretty young age. I've worn them as much or more than regular clothing for most of my life. I've also been around supers and entire super teams for most of my life. I went to a high school where most of both students and teachers were masks, and most of them wore costumes at least during the day. To me, this is normal clothing. Modern costumes are very comfortable, easy to clean and very, very durable."

She moved to the female mannequin the team had provided. Energia had already fitted it with a generic super costume body stocking the day before.

"Costumes have multiple functions. They protect, both physically and legally. They identify. Costumes have to be comfortable and practical, and have places to store equipment. Different physical abilities - and simple differences in tastes - require different designs and even different materials."

She spoke of durable fabrics, layering and the costume discretion, as she put additional items on the mannequin for demonstration. She followed that with half an hour of passing around swatches of different costume materials, as well as giving a slideshow of example completed costumes. Then she started on the accessories. She made brief mention of medical gear, communications equipment and several other types of item.

Finally, she moved into the stylistic aspects of costumes.

"Don't get so caught up in trying to look fierce or sexy that you loose sight of what the costume is for. It's fine to want to show off your assets or intimidate the bad guys, but there have been several instances of someone - men as well as women - designing for appearance who wound up showing more than they meant to when they got into a fight."

That brought some smiles and even a few chuckles.

"Is it true that you can't go to the bathroom without taking a suit like yours off?" asked Tone, one the the members of The FX. Who was actually attending in costume, though hers was composed of a two-piece core with additions.

"It used to be. Not any more. Believe me, folks who wear bodystockings are very grateful for that."

Energia moved back to the mannequin and showed how the crotch could be opened.

"The folks I get my costumes from have offered this as an option for about the past five years," said Energia. She frowned a bit, teasing the details out the memories of her hectic life of the past half decade. "I think what took so long is the secure part. There have been openable costume bottoms - mainly variations on the zipper fly - for a long time, but some saw them as too risky. Others thought they ruined the lines. There actually have been situations - usually involving a captured hero - where just having a costume which was hard to get off saved someone from rape."

Though she provided no details, Energia specifically recalled Colossa telling her about the time Template fought Energex in New Orleans during her work there after Katrina.

"This new seal operates a bit like a cop's secure holster. You have to use exactly the right angle," said Energia. She suddenly realized that the end of class was approaching and she hadn't mentioned one piece of equipment. "Besides the usual utility equipment, I also strongly recommend getting an emergency button. This can be concealed somewhere in your costume. There are a lot of different designs. If you're badly injured, or simply don't have time to make a proper com call and really need help, push off the safety cover and push the button once. It then sends a digital signal encoded with your ID info and last detected GPS location. The device is like an aircraft crash beacon. If activated it broadcasts an emergency locator signal until the battery runs down - in about five days - or someone who knows how switches it off. You will be taught how to switch it off, of course, but should still expect people to at least try to contact you by radio."

"I looked at some prices," said Coordinator, who usually went by Ma. She was not only another FX team member but their base commander. As well as the oldest member. She was, as usual, in civvies, and Energia thought that most of those present didn't even know she was on the team. "Proper super costumes are very expensive."

"Yes, but they're worth it. An established team would usually have at least some pieces around to put together, but folks who are just starting out have to pay the price. You might check with other public teams to see if they have any remnants they can give you folks.

"That, by the way, is something to remember in general. Heroes support each other. Hero teams support other hero teams. Even when there are rivalries and disagreements."

"What about security?" asked another man, who appeared to be in his thirties. "I mean, maintaining your secret identity when purchasing a costume. How do you do that without letting the tailor know who you are?"

"It's not hard for people in an incorporated team to get costumes. Most businesses willing to deal with supers will have methods to maintain confidentiality. For example, by using just the mask name of the specific team member. That way only the team knows the personal details. Well, except for the measurements you have to send. Otherwise, just rent a box at a UPS or whatever under a fictional name."

The next speaker seemed a bit embarrassed, but also determined to ask his question.

"How do you deal with, well, the practicality of changing clothes back and forth? Where do you keep the costume when in civilian ID, and vice versa? Can you really wear a costume under your civvies? The costumes you've shown us are too bulky for that."

"Fanny packs," said Energia, flatly. She turned side-on to the audience and lifted her cape to show hers. "Seriously. That's one reason some folks wear capes; to hide the fanny packs. You don't need to stuff the entire costume or regular outfit in there, either. Just the parts which might show or get in the way. Of course, for an official, full time team those on duty should be in costume anyway, at least partially. Lone heroes learn to locate several safe places around the city to stash things if they need to leave their civilian clothes or shopping or whatever someplace safe while they go into action."

"It still seems... kind of uncomfortable," said one woman, shifting uneasily in her seat. "Wearing those multiple layers for hours at a time."

"A huge amount of work has been done on making costumes - even the bulkier ones - comfortable for long-term wear," said Energia. She grinned. "It helps to have gadgeteers and masterminds around who are motivated by wanting their own outfits to be comfortable."

* * *

"There's a saying in some circles that speed is life," said Vic, nodding to her group, as she began her first class. "Well, when it's part of general maneuverability it can save your life. If they can't hit you - with a beam, a fist, a blade or whatever - they can't hurt you."

This class was not meant to teach anyone either individual self defense or team tactics. It was to emphasize that such training was needed, and that it went far beyond the short series of courses being taught by Tricorne over the Summer. Afterwards, though, Vic heard some of those in the class talking as they left, and realized that she might not have made her point.

"It figures a girl would say we need to dodge," said one guy, quietly, and snidely, to one of the other male students. "They should'a let someone who has actually been in fights teach this class. A man. Get rid of all that pansy nonsense."

"Yeah," said another. "They couldn't even get a girl with a good figure."

Vic sighed, and resolved to work on her class notes. As much as she hated to brag, mentioning her experiences would likely get her more respect. As well as emphasizing that she was several years older than she appeared to be. Perhaps wearing her badge or even medal would help.

* * *

Despite some disappointments - and surprises - the first day of classes went very well. That evening, back in the large common room at Tricorne's lair, Energia and Vic gave their reports to the other two members of the team. They noticed that Blue Impact seemed upset about something, however. Once they were finished, they found out what.

"Artemis Franks got the charges against her dismissed," said Blue Impact, with a tired sigh. "She was able to convince the District Attorney's office that she was a victim of circumstance. I think it was actually a matter of too little direct evidence implicating her, aided by having plausible deniability. The fact that she arranged proper medical care for Emil Logsdon - at considerable expense - helped with that."

"That's... just so..." said Gadgetive, outraged.

"Yeah, well, there's no hard evidence that she actually did anything wrong except lie to us and the FBI about not knowing where Emil Logsdon was," said Blue Impact, with a sigh. "She still says she thought he was someone else. Everything else she can blame on her henchmen. Who are getting the finest legal aid money can buy, thus ensuring their loyalty. She's evil, but she's smart evil."

"I just had a disturbing thought," said Energia, looking worried.

"If it's in connection to this case, I'm surprised you've only had one disturbing thought," said Vic, dryly.

"What if the theft of the Tuesday Ruby was a distraction?"

"I have wondered the same thing," said Blue Impact, nodding. "How better to get away with stealing something than to have someone blatantly take something else, while you covertly take what you really want and replace it with a duplicate."

"Exactly. We need to get in touch with the folks at the museum and ask if they have inventoried the other items in the minerals building since the theft."

The older super nodded and sighed. Obviously, there was more bothering her than just Artemis Franks escaping justice.

"On a more personal note, the owner of the Jaguar I hit Major Grow with is suing me for destroying his car."

"Wasn't that already damaged before you grabbed it?" said Vic, puzzled. "I mean badly damaged."

She grimaced.

"I've become a bit of an unwilling expert on cars getting mangled."

"Yes, but despite those sworn statements all of you and the FBI folks made, the owner is still suing me. If I could get the security videos from the area I could show that it was already beyond reasonable repair before I grabbed it, but Franks has convinced even the banks owning the ATMs in the area not to cooperate. That won't last, but until I can get around that blockage things could get bad. As in there being an injunction against me acting as a hero bad."

"They can't do that!" said Gadgetive.

"Sure they can. You can sue over anything."

* * *

The next day dawned as gloomy as the end of the previous one had been. The mood in the old bakery was similarly downbeat. As usual, Blue Impact was the first member of Tricorne awake and on the job. Even Vic only beat her by about twenty minutes. When the quartet assembled for breakfast, Blue Impact explained what was bothering her.

"Turns out our suspicions were too late," said Blue Impact, sourly. "There's been a murder and theft at the mineralogy museum downtown."

"Wait. Was it the Idol's Eye diamond?"

"No. However, it now appears that the ruby theft really was for someone else besides Artemis Franks, though it was timed to coincide with the attacks on the exhibit we were guarding. Whoever arranged that is probably also the same person who sent warning of the attacks to the museum. The investigators of the murder and second theft believe that the disturbance caused by the first robbery and the attack on the amusement exhibit was used to distract people while someone entered a different section of the museum to steal something there. So I'm thinking that Franks' activities may have been arranged by the same party - without her knowing about the gem theft ahead of time - or simply coincidence. Though I'm not betting on coincidence."

"That would explain why Franks keeps stalling about revealing where the ruby is," said Energia, scowling. "She doesn't know! Of course, the fact that someone guided her actions without her becoming suspicious ahead of time means there must be a serious mastermind behind all of this."

"The situation is actually worse than that. I agree she still doesn't know. So do the police, which is one reason they aren't currently pursuing charges against her. They may be hoping her actions will reveal who is behind all this. Of course, she could so afraid of whoever had it done she won't pursue revenge; or she perhaps may not even know who it was. If the latter case is true, she won't admit it, or that she's afraid of them, but may try to manipulate others into acting against that party. However, this new crime at the museum is much more serious. The victim was one of the assistant curators; the man in charge of the meteor exhibit."

"You do know it's a myth that meteors have mystical powers, right?" said Gadgetive, her tone scathing.

"This one had what appeared to be part of a technological device embedded in it," said Blue Impact. "Believe me, getting that bit of information was neither easy nor simple. The museum staff were supposed to be collaborating with NASA to map the meteor with CAT scans. Those would have been used to figure out how to extract the device."

"Wait, what?!" said Gadgetive, suddenly excited. "What... Why doesn't anyone know about this?! Also, how did anyone notice the device?!"

"Part of it stuck out past the meteor's surface," said Blue Impact, answering the last question first. "The broken lump of space iron was caught in a coring bit they were using to drill down into that big crater in Greenland. From what I understand the researchers were very annoyed, since they were trying for a combination ice core and sediment core, and had to start over once they removed the meteorite chunk. However, they immediately recognized it as likely being part of the asteroid which made the crater.

"The folks in Greenland decided that the American team could keep that chunk, since there should be plenty more down there. For a long time most people who saw the thing thought the angular shape projecting out of the rock was just an unusual mineral formation. Those who thought it might be an artifact had a hard time convincing anyone else, but once they did and had their suspicion confirmed, NASA offered their help. That agency is officially responsible for all alien artifacts in the US, remember. After a few weeks of dithering, the people in charge of the drilling project - who were being funded by the museum - officially asked NASA to take on the investigation. They quickly verified there was likely something technological in the rock. However, the day before they and the museum staff were supposed to start working on how to extract it, the man who physically had custody of the meteor turned up dead of unnatural causes. Namely, a substantial skull fracture. A check showed that the meteor was missing; in fact, it may have been gone for weeks; he hadn't looked at it for a while, waiting for NASA and his bosses to reach an agreement. Additionally, his computer and all his notes on the meteor were stolen."

"So the Tuesday Ruby theft actually was a diversion to delay the discovery of the meteor theft," said Energia, scowling.

"That's the working hypothesis," said Blue Impact. "On the chance that this actually is alien tech, the Office of Scientific Investigation has taken charge of the search for it. Over the objections of NASA."

"I wonder how whoever murdered that poor guy and took the rock knew about it," said Gadgetive, frowning in intense thought. "If we can figure that out, it might lead us to the guilty party."

"I better contact the Bureau of Special Resources," said Vic, also frowning. "OSI has some good investigators, but they're more used to finding people who are poisoning food or water than in dealing with alien tech. NASA, on the other hand, is more qualified to examine alien tech, but not to solve crimes."

"I wonder if this is part of whatever the alien ship on the Moon was after," said Energia, joining in the contemplative frowning. "The one that created the Moon Scouts. It found something which satisfied its programming in very old rock on Earth, remember."

"We'll likely never know," said Blue Impact.

up
80 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

superhero lawsuits

might be the toughest part of being a hero ...

DogSig.png

A couple of things.

A couple of things.

1) I don't remember the Moon Scout ship leaving. Has that been posted, and if so, which story was it? (I could just re-read them all to find it, but this is faster :) )

2) If Impact had a suit filed against her, she could immediately file for the security videos with the court/police. I guarantee you that the videos would have been turned over to their insurance companies (or the police) immediately after the fight. If they hadn't, then they would potentially be refused the ability to claim against their insurance for damages, as well as to show that they weren't involved in the conflict. For that matter, the police should have immediately canvassed the area for copies of any security footage. It's reasonably standard evidentiary practice for government investigations.

So, in this case, Blue Impact should simply be able to request the videos from the investigating group, and have them turned over to the court for a request for summary dismissal and countersuit for fraud. (or libelous behaviour)

Personally, I would file suit against the _lawyer_ for unethical behaviour for taking an obviously libelous suit. Plus report him/her to the local bar association.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

1) It was mentioned in Masks

Stickmaker's picture

1) It was mentioned in Masks XVI: The Outside Man. That's the one with _Der Schmale_. Template was talking with Lunie Liaison Jimmy Kent and he related how the Moon Scouts had been left powerless on the Canadian Shield after the alien ship responsible for their powers teleported something they uncovered to it. Then it began finishing repairs. I don't think I said it actually left, but it definitely did. Yeah; it wasn't as disabled as it let on to the Lunies.

2) The suit by the car owner was not filed until Tricorne was back in town for the Summer. The delay might have been deliberate. Blue Impact (that's Ms. Impact to you :-^) is still organizing her defense.

I'm an engineer, not an attorney, so if I get legal stuff wrong please let me know. I know about the discovery process and a few other things but far from all the details, and I have no idea how quickly various stages of the procedure happen. It looks like I need to do some rewriting. So, would it be more reasonable for the Jaguar owner to sue, or his insurance company? (There may be exemptions for some types of super-caused damage.)

Would it make more sense that this would be a civil suit or a criminal? I suspect the former.

Just passing through...

I have to wonder if the ship

I have to wonder if the ship will be back :)

I'm not an attorney, solicitor, or lawyer, but in IT, I've had to deal with surveillance systems. When something happens, the camera systems anywhere around whatever it was get copied by the cops. I've had to do it for theft and vandalism. If the police are involved, they ask for it. Most of the time it's not reported to the police - with something like this, with the police _right there_, they'd collect the evidence for their reports. Remember, our laws are interpreted in such a way that criminals can be held liable for _any_ damage that happens during their crimes (or apprehension). If two people rob a bank, and one is shot by the cops escaping, the -other- is then charged with manslaughter.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Oh - it'd definitely be a

Oh - it'd definitely be a civil suit. To be a criminal suit, it'd have to have been brought against her by a political body, such as a village, town, city, county, or state.

It'd be brought against her by the insurance company if they're trying to recover damages. It'd be brought against her by the owner if the insurance company refused to pay for whatever reason. "Your policy doesn't cover parking in a no-parking zone, and being stepped on by a super."


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Bragging

Directly attacking the perception that Vic is somehow unworthy might just make things worse. She would be better off using examples of some of her battles ostensibly to make other points - particularly some where the "stand up and fight" alpha male types had been taken out by the opponents. It gets the point across without seeming to be defensive or bragging.

Jorey
.

If she does want to brag, she

Stickmaker's picture

If she does want to brag, she can just wear her medal and note offhand that she got it leading the counterattack against the biggest Shilmek landing. :-)

Actually, though, Vic is rather modest about her accomplishments. I don't plan to do a follow-up to this - the plot is about to head in another direction - but might.

Just passing through...

Weirdly enough, once they get

Weirdly enough, once they get through with this storyline, I could see them doing some traveling seminars on heroing. Think of it as being like the various Tedd Talks. Go to a town with a super group established (so they can vet a venue and provide some security), give some "Watch/Read these" materials on the first day, then do a full Q&A on a second day, with follow up registrations for people wanting more information.

Do it right, and it won't even be traceable as who might end up a practicing super. The bulk of the information could be useful for all SORTS of folks, including first responders (fire/police), lookie-loos, current heros, retired heroes (brushing up on skills), etc. Bundle it up and sell it for all of those groups. You end up with police/fire having a better idea of what questions to ask a super to see if they can assist (or if it should be a "Call Super #6 and tell her to stay AWAY. This is a very volatile spill, and any flame can set it off."), supers know what questions to ask the police/etc, and lookie-loos get some information on why it's a bad idea to stand there and stare, even if you ARE from New York.

It'll also bring in some money for Tricorne.

I could see it as being a fun series of vignettes. You could even have criminals asking questions, without anyone knowing it. (Heck, some criminals might prefer to know how to keep the collateral damage down, in case of arrest and charges)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Those are some very good

Stickmaker's picture

Those are some very good ideas. I already have the basic plot for Masks XXII, but I'll definitely keep these ideas in mind.

Just passing through...

Oh - it wasn't for a full out

Oh - it wasn't for a full out story - that's why vignettes. I mean, you could have fun with little one offs.

I mean, from the criminal's POV. "Hand raised. - 'Yes'? 'At what point do you stop pursuit of a criminal?' " (or - "What are the worst things to deal with when pursuing a criminal?" )

Five masterminds, all auditing a Tricorne Tedd talk on dealing with criminals and the police... :)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Tropes

I just realized. ' "We'll likely never know," said Blue Impact.' Is one of those statements like "It's a one in a million chance." or "We're Safe now", or best known, "What could happen?"/"What could possibly go wrong?"


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.