Burger Queen Chp. 14

Printer-friendly version

“Thank you for calling Skyvue Catering Service, Bobby speaking. How can I help you?” Bobby grabs the pad they kept near the phone.

“Are you still taking orders for Thanksgiving dinners and Christmas dinners?”

“Yes ma’am, we are still taking orders for both dinners.” Bobby flips to a clean page on the pad.

“I like to place an order for twenty people.”

Bobby explains what the dinner consists of and give the caller options. This was their fourth order today she has taken.

“Your order comes to, $225.00 and it will be delivered to you, ma’am.” Bobby hangs the phone up after the person ends it.

“Another order for Thanksgiving dinner?” Lucas looks over towards Bobby.

“Yep, they want the deep-fried Turkey dinner.” Bobby counts how many dinners they had to prepare for Thanksgiving.

“And we have the shelter Thanksgiving dinner to cater as well?” Lucas knew Alissa always did what she could for the shelter.

“Yep, we have forty Thanksgiving dinners to do and several catering jobs.” Bobby grabs another tray of burgers to take out to the truck. She was almost done with loading the truck up.

Lucas washes his hands and grabs the rest of the items they needed for the truck. He was driving the truck and it was going to be him and Alissa on the truck today. Alissa and Gregory were out shopping for all the items they were going to need for the pre-order dinners.

Meisa and Marylin were still handling their food carts. Lucas sits in the driver seat, as Bobby takes the passenger seat. They head towards their first stop for the lunch crowd.

Food Market:
Alissa and Gregory walk through the marketplace visiting some of her favorite stalls. As she is passing one stall that was new in the market.
She noticed it wasn’t very busy and had some interesting produce. There was a young woman running the stall.

They stop at the stall and look at the vegetables on display. They were big and fresh. Alissa looks around for the merchant and spots her packing up a box of vegetables.

“Hi, I love your stall and all the fresh vegetables you have for sale.” Alissa was looking at a huge tomato

Heather looks over towards the woman that just spoke to her “thank you.”

Heather walks over towards Alissa and Gregory. She has seen them a few times visiting the market. According to what she found out about them, they owned a catering service and a food truck. They only bought from the market and they had a few merchants they normally bought their supplies from.

Alissa looks over the tomatoes, onions, and heads of lettuce. Gregory was busy looking over a few other items they needed for the Thanksgiving dinners they had to prepare. He turns around and looks at Alissa and Heather.

“How much for three boxes of carrots, celery, potatoes, onions, and tomatoes?” Gregory was handling the money.

“Three hundred total for all of them.” Heather couldn’t believe they were only buying three boxes.

Alissa walks over to look at some apples and peaches she could make a few pies and cobbler from. She already had the flour and everything else she needed. She still needed to stop at the bakery for the buns and bread to make stuffing from.

“I would like to add in three boxes of apples and peaches as well.” Alissa direct her gazes towards Heather.

“That will be another hundred dollars.” Heather had a smile on her face.

Alissa could see she was making Heather’s day with her purchases. To bad, she didn’t sell spices and herbs.

“Here you go. I want to add two boxes of spinach as well.” Gregory hands her five hundred dollars.

“No problem.” Heather gives him a discount for what they purchase.

“Thank you.” Alissa looks at all the stuff they must transport back to the van.

Gregory spot Alissa looking at all the boxes they had purchased “go ahead and get the spices and herbs you need. I’ll go and get the cart.”

“Thanks, Gregory.” She looks towards Heather “thank you as well.”

“You’re welcome. I hope you come back and shop with me again.” Heather would love to have them as steady customers.

“We’ll see.” Alissa gives her a friendly smile as she walks down to the vendor, she gets her herbs and spice from.

Gregory shows back up with a cart to transport their purchases back to their van. He loads the cart with help from Heather.

“Thanks for helping me.” Gregory smiles at Heather.

“You’re welcome. Hope to see you again.” Heather watches as Gregory heads back to their van with the load.

Alissa buys all the herbs and spices to replenish what she has used. She buys a little extra because of all the orders she had coming in. She
picks out a few extra spices and herbs for a few special dishes she was going to make for the shelter.

Once Alissa was done with her shopping. She starts back towards the van with her purchases. She spots Gregory on his way back to her “all loaded up?”

“Yep, all loaded up.” Gregory had an apple in his hand, as he takes a bite out of it.

“Good.” Alissa gets in on the passenger side.

Gregory gets behind the driver seat and puts on his seat belt. He knew Alissa still felt uncomfortable about riding in a vehicle, because of the accident she was in.

“Did you get everything you needed?” Gregory glances towards Alissa.

“Yep, and I also got a few extra things I want to make for the shelter.” Alissa knew Rachel will love what she got planned.

“Rachel will love you for that.” Gregory knew how much Alissa respected Rachel for everything she has done.

“I’m just surprised that Rachel has managed to run the shelter as long as she has, on a shoestring budget.” Alissa knew it isn’t easy running
the shelter and helping as many people that she does.

Gregory takes them by the first food cart to see how it was doing. They spot Meisa with a line at the chart and a young man helping her. They have never seen the teenage boy before.

Food Cart One:
“I wonder who that is?” as Gregory parks the catering van nearby.

Gregory and Alissa get out and walk over to the food cart. They noticed that a teenage boy was helping Meisa by fixing the burgers and collecting the money as the customer paid for their meal. They stop a few feet away and just watch Meisa and the young man.

Meisa was doing the cooking and the young man put the burger altogether and rung the customer up. He was good at putting the burgers
together and greeted the customers in a friendly matter. Gregory and Alissa were impressed as Meisa and the young man worked together.

Once the line was down, Gregory and Alissa approached the food cart. The boy spotted them and pulled on Meisa’s shirt sleeve.

“That’s a good helper you have there, Meisa.” Gregory looks towards Meisa, while Alissa was watching the young man.

Meisa was startled when she heard Gregory’s voice. She turns to face Gregory and Alissa.

“He’s a good kid. He was helping me to pay me back for buying him lunch last week.” Meisa knew Peter didn’t have any money to buy lunch, because he was paying for his mother’s medical bills.

Alissa looks at the young man as he stood nearby. He looked tired and worried about Meisa.

“Well, we can’t have him helping you without the proper attire, now can we?” Alissa smiles over towards the young man.

“I have to agree with Alissa, Meisa. So, tomorrow when you come to work. Bring the young man with, so we can outfit him properly and fill his paperwork out.” Gregory went along with Alissa’s assessment.

Meisa smiles because Alissa just basically was giving the okay to hire Peter. She looks towards Peter and winks.

“I’ll make sure Peter is there, Alissa.” Meisa will have to explain Peter’s situation to her.

“Sounds good. Do you need anything?”

“No, but could you take the deposit with you?” Meisa hands a clear bag to Alissa with a deposit slip and money in it.

Alissa takes the bag and hands it to Gregory. She looks back towards Meisa.

“Okay, Bobby and Lucas should be here soon. Just let them know we have the deposit.” Alissa double checks her wristwatch for the time.

“I will, boss.” Meisa just smile as she watches Alissa and Gregory walk off.

Peter approaches Meisa “did I get you in trouble?”

“No, you didn’t kid. Alissa was genuine in her offer for you to work for her.” Meisa just smiles.

Meisa and Peter go back to work, as Gregory and Alissa drive off. She serves up a customer that had approached her cart.

“Why did you hire that boy?” Gregory was curious.

“The look in his eyes. He’s got a lot on his plate.” Alissa had seen that look before.

up
181 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos