Music School Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version

“Remember, I’m picking you up after school today, Lindsey.” Barbara watches as Lindsey walks out the front door.

“I will mom.” Lindsey yawns as she walks to the bus stop.

She stayed up late last night when she got back from The Station. Lindsey spots Ian as he approached the bus stop.

“Hey, you look like I feel.” Ian spotted how tired Lindsey was.

“I stayed up practicing late last night.” Which wasn’t unusual for her.

“How about you? You look like you didn’t sleep well last night.” Lindsey saw bags under Ian’s eyes.

“I stayed up late working on my math assignment. My math teacher gave us three pages of math problems to do.” Ian covers up a yawn.

“I know the feeling.” As Lindsey covers a yawn.

The school bus finally arrives. Ian and Lindsey board and sit together. They arrive at Tessa’s bus stop. Once she comes aboard, she sits in the seat in front of them with a friend of hers. She was dress in one of her long sleeve maxi dresses and wearing her favorite silver necklace.

Tessa turns around in her seat to look at Lindsey “so, did you talk to your mother last night?”

“Yep, she’s picking me up after school today and we're going to go and look at a few places.” That’s was why her mother was reminding her that she was picking her up.

“How’s your part-time job dealing with your popularity?” Lindsey knew Tessa worked part-time after school.

“They said that any day I need off for band performances or for school, I can have. I just need to let them know that day.” Tessa was glad that Stefano was willing to give her the days off.

“Sounds like your boss is enjoying your popularity.” Lindsey knew if she worked after school, her boss would enjoy having a popular band member working for them.

The ride to school was quick and over with. Ian, Tessa, and Lindsey wait until everyone is off the bus before they depart. They all head to their lockers and change their books out. They put away anything they don’t need for their next few classes.

Their morning classes are intense. Lindsey has several pop quizzes her teachers spring on them. By the time they head to lunch, Lindsey is tired.

Kaja plops down next to Lindsey “you look tired.”

“I am.” Lindsey could use a Red Bull or something to give her some energy.

“Here, drink this.” Ian hands Lindsey a Pepsi.

“Thanks, and where did you get this?” Lindsey looks at him.

All the soda machines and snack machines had been removed from their school. The teacher’s lounge was the only place you could grab a soda or snacks.

“I brought it from home. I keep a six pack in my locker.” Ian pulls one out for himself as well.

“Thanks.” Lindsey pops the seal and takes a sip. She had two more classes to get through, before band practice.

Band Room:
When Ian, Lindsey, and Tessa walk into the band room, they noticed that there was a new guy in there talking with Mr. Simmons. He was an older gentleman and lean looking. He was taller than Mr. Simmons by a good six inches or more.

Tessa leans close to Lindsey as she puts her saxophone together “is that Mr. Alexander?”

“I guess. Mr. Simmons said he was going to be here today.” As Lindsey finishes putting her sax together and wetting her reed.

“Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. I would like for you to meet Don Alexander, he is the Executive Director of the Georgia Youth
Symphony Orchestra. He is visiting us today to see who would like to audition for a spot in the Orchestra. He has ten spots open and he has other schools to visit.” Mr. Simmons had glances towards Lindsey, Tessa, and Ian.

Henry glances toward Lindsey “let me guess, he’s already chosen you?”

“Mr. Alexander has, but I haven’t said yes, yet.” Lindsey flips through the music they were going to play.

“Since your band became popular. It seems that you and your band members are getting all the opportunities.” Henry was starting to hate
Lindsey.

“Henry, you’re a good musician. If you wanted to join a band or even a jazz group, they would be lucky to get you. There’s no reason to be
jealous of me or my band. We work hard and practice till we get our songs right.” Lindsey knew Henry was a good player and would make a good addition to any band.

Mr. Alexander listens as the band plays their instruments. He could identify the students he had come to listen too, because of their playing and the sound of their instruments. The gothic looking girl that was playing the piano in the band and the sax player. He could hear the drum
player doing a good job of keeping everyone on tempo.

He listens carefully to everyone and picked out a few others that would make a good addition to the program. He stays till the end of class and when all the students have left for the day.

“You have a good group of students here, Williams. How long have some of your students been playing?” Don enjoyed what he heard.

“Some of them, since they got to this school. The rest for a few years. Lindsey, Tessa, and Ian are sophomores, Henry is a junior. He’s good but is a little competitive with Lindsey.” Mr. Simmons had spotted that.

“How come?” Don was curious.

“Well, first she is the youngest student in this school. She’s only thirteen years old. Secondly, she’s a natural when it comes to music. She hears music in her head and can put it to sheet music without any problems. She can play several different instruments. She puts a lot of practice time in to be proficient in the instruments she plays.” Mr. Simmons knew how Lindsey loved music and the instruments she plays.
Don looks at his friend “who writes the music for her band?”

“She writes most of it and corrects what other members of her band write. She’s a natural. Her friend and bandmate Tessa is really good on the piano.” Mr. Simmons loved how Tessa played.

“Do you think either one of them will accept my offer?” Don would love to have the two of them.

“I think they will.” Mr. Simmons knew how Lindsey enjoyed music.

Outside of School:
Lindsey watches as her friends get on the school bus. She wishes she was going with them, but she was waiting for her mother. She looks around and finally spots her mother. She was stuck in line, behind four cars.

Lindsey just waits, till her mother pulls up. Once Barbara stopped, Lindsey, climbs in.

“Hi, mom.” Lindsey fastens her seat belt.

“Hey, sweetie. So, are you ready to go and look at a few places for your band?” Barbara had a made a list of places that met the band's requirements.

“Yes ma’am, I’m ready.” Lindsey adjusts her seat belt as Barbara follows the traffic away from the school.

up
248 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Finding a place to practice

should not be that hard, There is always the music school itself.

Lindsay is really beginning

Samantha Heart's picture

To strech her self this with scool, school band, her band & now youth orchstra & she wants to do Jazz as well.... thats a bit TOO much for a 13 year old girl.

The practice studio serch should be intresting.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Green eyed monster

Jamie Lee's picture

Henry has no real reason to be jealous of Lindsey, even though she is more talented. Her involvement in a band occured while school was on summer vacation as did their success. As to her ability to play several instruments, it started long before she was in high school.

Henry needs to concentrate on his own abilities and not worry that he can't do as others can. If he doesn't he's going to end up angry over something that isn't any of his business.

Others have feelings too.