The Adventures of Madeline Brewer (2)

Printer-friendly version

Saturday came soon enough. A hazy mist hung over the whole town, the air was hot and humid. Stepping outside felt like one was stepping into a steam bath. The sickly sweet smell of magnolia blooms and blooming flowers scented the air. Across the street Ginger’s Bakery was putting out some fresh donuts in the display window. A few people were milling about the front of the local Post Office and finally a lone bagboy was gathering up some stray shopping carts in front of the Local Sunflower.

And across the street. Things where were we’ll starting to take shape. A few firefighters from “Benton Fire Station Number #2” Where helping to fill the dunking booth with gallons of ice cold water. In front of the dunking booth local craftsmen where setting up tables to display their wares. And finally toward the center of the park, a group of children their eyes glued to their phones where busy playing Pokemon Go. They were standing in the shadow of a monument called by all “The Confederate Monument” a marble pillar topped with two bronze statues. The first statue was a women dressed in a full dress, the women was handing a rolled flag to a soldier in full kit.

“Madeline.” A voice said behind me. “Are you sure about this?” The voice added.

I turned around and noticed my sister was standing there, her arms were folded across her chest and her long blonde hair was pulled back in a simply ponytail. She wore brightly, colored, light cotton dress.

“I think so.” I said blushing as I looked down at the ground. I started to run my fingers on my elbow. “Why do you ask?” I was still getting use to being addressed as ‘Madeline’ but today my sister had flat out told me that it was only proper I wear something cute, so she dug through her closet and fished out a pink and white sundress with a matching pair of white sandals with a low heel.

“Sis.” She said sighing and rolling her eyes. “Your just coming out of your tomboy phase. And the whole town will be seeing you up there. Heck the whole town is already lining up to dunk the poor soul who’s going to be the first one to take the seat.” She said nodding her head toward the forming line of women and children and such.

“Right, but like its for a good cause. Like all money goes to children’s ward of St. Joan’s Children Hospital.” I said as I shuttered. Two weeks, one fortnight, fourteen days.. How ever you wanted to say it, I had spent two weeks there following the wreck. And the nurses and staff where excellent.

“Right..” My sister said kneeling down to my level. “I guess I’m just worried about you. Anyway, you need to get changed into your bathing suit. There almost done filling the tank.” She said placing a loving hand upon my shoulder.

“Right.” A voice cut in. “Is are lovely volunteer ready?” The voice belonged to Lily who the one running this show. “Cause, right now where five minutes till where due to open and I’m already collecting money. So, she needs to get changed and get up that ladder.” She said peering at me. “Not getting cold feet are you?”

“Nope..” I responded as I switched my gaze between Lily and my sister

Before I could respond, one of the firefighters called out.

“All finished here Lil.” The voice belonged to one of the youngest of the group. He was tall, well tall for fourteen year old me. His hair was the color of molten gold and his eyes where deep blue. As I peered into his chest, I felt my heart start to throb, my breathing became shallow and my cheeks started to burn. And then, then the oddest thought popped into my head, I wanted that guy to see me in my bathing suit, I wanted him to dunk me.. I wanted to kiss him.. Then my mind became blank.

“Madeline?” My sister said giggling. “Earth to Madeline.. Earth to Madeline.” My sister teased as she waved her open hand in front of my face.

“Girl, you blushing like a bride of a alter and acting like a she-cat in heat.” Lily said as she held up her hands and twisted her wrist around. “Anyway where going live in ten minutes, so go ahead get changed into your swimming suit, do something nice with your hair, put a little lip gloss on or something.”

If looks could kill, then the look my sister was giving Lily would turn her into lunchmeat. Lily just shrugged and turned toward the gathered crowds. Dozens of children from the local middle school where forming up. Along with dozen of high schoolers as well.

“Maddie.” My sister said taking a deep breath. “Are you sure you want to go through with this? Your still, new to this whole girl thing and.. We’ll sitting up there your going to expose yourself to the whole town, and..” Her voice was thick with concern.

“Sis, I’ll be fine.” I said blushing deeply. To be truthful, I never felt so exposed as I felt wearing this dress. It was so light, so open. And even the faintest breeze caused the helm of the dress to be lifted up. Often I found myself forcing the thing down..

“I need to enroll you in finishing school or something..” My sister muttered as I forced the dress down again. She sound have series and half joking. “Maybe the Junior Auxiliary will be holding some lessons.” She said shaking her head as she peered me.

“Why?” I said as I reached down and removed the sundress. Once the dress was removed, I handed it over to my sister. She took it and offered me a small smile.

“You know, I always wanted a little sister.” She said looking me up and down. “Like before you were born, mom and I would sit and talk about possible names. And Madeline was not one of them. Do you know how lucky you are? Most girls don’t get to choose their own names.” She said reaching out her hand. Smiling she started to run her fingers through my hair, musing it up a little.

“Okay, Like I totally understand you two are having this, little sister, big sister, heartwarming scene going on. But Maddie, I need you get up there and get ready. Where about to open in four minutes.” Lily said in rushing tone of voice.

My sister and I exchanged another quick hug. And then taking a deep breath I started to climb the ladder.

And soon, I found myself sitting down upon the seat. A deep blush formed upon my cheeks as I peered out at the field in front of me. Through the net, I could see the field coming to life as small portable grills were brought out and charcoal fires were lit, filling the air with the puffs of gray smoke. Soon the smell of grilling chicken among other meats filled the air.

And there perched above the water, I waited and watched the sun climb higher and higher into the air. And for once, I felt like a normal teen.

up
176 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Prologue

WillowD's picture

I'm glad the prologue was added to the beginning of this story. When I first started reading these stories I found them intriguing but it felt like I started in the middle of the story. Now that the prologue has been added, these stories are a lot more satisfying. I look forward to more.

They are neat.

Aren't they? I would love to hear more of her story.