To Be or Not to Be, That is the Existential Question: Chapter 2: Or Not to Be

Printer-friendly version

"To Be or Not to Be, That is the Existential Question" If given the power of a comic book superhero, is that person obligated to play the part for the greater good?

To Be or Not to Be, That is the Existential Question

Chapter 2: Or Not to Be

Last Time:

I thought to myself, 'Thank god! The pain is finally gone." I tried to say something around the breathing hose in my throat, but nothing came out. I put every effort into wagging a few fingers, but I couldn't move. Nothing!

In the background of the silence around me, I could hear a faint noise. Over the noise I hear a doctor say, "Okay, that's it. Mark time of death as 4:32am." Beyond the doctors I could hear the sound of great racking sobs.

And Now:

I thought to myself, 'No, this can't be. I can't die, not now." With every fiber of my being and soul, I fought the pull that tried to take me away from my mortal body.

I felt the pull lessen, then snap. Around my body, an intense light began to glow. Shortly the hospital personnel were shielding their eyes from the radiance that surrounded me. I could hear a gasp from outside the room. Then a voice yelling, "Let me go, that's my child in there. You have no right to keep me away!"

Soon, I felt the comforting hug from my mother. I could hear the equipment in the background begin beeping more and more erratically, before in a cascade of sparks and pops, the equipment exploded, leaving the acrid stench of burned wiring and ozone.

My mother was dragged out with the bed and everyone else to escape the terrible smoke. The light surrounding me continued to grow and pulsate, quickly adopting the pattern of a heartbeat in perfect rhythm.

We were pushed into another room. The pulsing finally subsided and broke apart like a chrysalis. I spoke in a whisper, the hose down my throat having miraculously disappeared, "Mom? Am I alive mom?"

I felt her hold me tighter, "Yes, baby. You are alive!" I then fell into a peaceful slumber.

***********************

Sometime much latter, I dreamed. Dreams of peace and happiness like I never knew. I had no sense of myself though, just a spirit in the bright and sunny wilderness, enjoying my surroundings.

I felt comfort and contentment in my dreams, but knew that I had to return the waking world and face my life. No more time to hide. The longer I waited, the more sure I was that my destiny awaited me. I practically willed myself awake.

As I opened my eyes to the sight of my mother holding onto my hand from the right side of the bed. Sunlight filtered through to softly shine on her, though she appeared to be asleep, slightly drawn and haggard from too little sleep.

I looked to the other side of the bed, facing the door. At first I could barely make out the sound of voices in the corridor. When the voices became clear, it was my father talking quietly with the doctor. The doctor was saying, "I've done all I can to keep the media at bay as well the local, state and federal authorities away. But sooner or later, the news will leak. Something like this thas never happened in a small town like ours."

Dad said, "Thank you doctor! Your help has been invaluable." I could hear the sound of his shoes, oddly making clacking noises in a mostly empty hall. As he entered the room, he noticed I was awake and smiled at me.

His smile warmed me and it felt as if the sun had cleared from behind clouds, though it was already bright. Softly I said, "Dad?"

Dad's smile widened, "Hey, Sunshine. Are you feeling better now? Does anything hurt? We can get the doctor to give you something."

In a soft voice, "That's not necessary, I feel fine." Without thinking, "Actually, I feel great. Like I could take on the world, and nothing can stop me." It was then that I first truly notice I was laying in bed naked, though no longer bound to the bed. For some reason, it didn't seem to really bother me.

Mom started to rouse. Waking she says, "Oh, my dear, you've finally come back to us." Dad walked around the bed and rested his hands on mom's shoulders.

Calmly, before either of them could say another word, again in that soft voice, "I've changed, haven't I?" Obviously a stupid question, I was a girl now. I could feel every part of my body if I thought about it. Right down to how the faint draft blew between the empty void of my new sex.

I don't know why I wasn't freaking out right now. I should be hysterically demanding answers. But, somehow, it just felt right. And again, I felt at peace. "Do the doctors know why I've changed into a girl? Or, are they still running tests?"

They each tried to say something different from the other, evidently relieved I was fine and excepting of my current lot in life. How know's? This could be the calm before the storm. I laughed, though it came out more of a giggle, "One at a time please."

Dad started by answering my most immediate question, "The way the doctor described it, was something about a dormant gene, one that chose now to become active."

I nodded my head, "Did he say it was a Meta-gene?" Already knowing the answer.

"That's the one. He explained that in every case where a Meta-gene became active, the patient always ended up being changed to female, completely and forever. There's no going back now."

I said it jived with everything I knew in popular mythos.

Mom asked, "Are you really okay with this? Changing into a girl, I mean. You don't seem upset by all this."

I said, "I'm fine right now. Maybe later it will hit me and I get freaked out then." I moved to get out of bed, on the away side of them, feeling I needed to use the restroom. I slipped to the floor, noting that as high as the bed was, I had lost more than a few inches in height.

Walking to the bathroom, my body's movements were smooth and graceful, almost like I had grown up in this body. I sat on the toilet and hardly thought about how the difference was. I wiped front to back, stood and flushed. I came out to the little sink by the door to wash my hands.

The few people walking in the hall were all hospital staff, the all either didn't notice or didn't care that I was completely naked. Like it was a common, everyday thing here. The ones that did look my way, just smiled at me. I turned to face the mirror, at last, getting to see how I now looked.

Mom and dad came to stand behind me. Mom and I were now the same height, and I now had to look up into dad's twinkling eyes. Dad's eyes stared into my own, "Like what you see? Sweetheart?"

It was easy to see everything what this body had to show. My build was better than average, on the curvey side of athletic. My breasts were large, but not terribly so. Same thing about my ass. My face was pretty, or at least I thought so. The face was surrounded by a halo red hair with a couple blonde highlights at the part over my right eye. It came down to the nape of my neck.

I lifted both arms and flexed the muscles. They were strong without looking gross. There was no way as a boy I could ever get a girl this hot. Looking in the mirror, this body seemed to exude confidence and sexuality. That brought to mind that I look almost exactly like the comic book character, Joanna Dark, aka Perfect Dark.

joanna+dark.jpg

Mom and dad both had expectant looks on their faces, "Well?" They said together.

My voice seemed to match my new looks, as I say, "I look pretty."

Mom says, you're more than just pretty, you're beautiful. Even perfect!"

Dad smiles, "I agree, only now, you make my life harder. As a boy, I didn't have to worry too much about you. But now, I see this beautiful young woman and worry if I can protect you from the world. There are a lot of bad people out there just waiting to hurt someone like you."

But mom adds, "But, what we have seen so far, we think that you'll do more than take care of yourself."

I ask, "Does this have anything to do with why I'm not wearing any cloths or had even a blanket or sheet covering me."

***********************

It took a little time for the two of them to explain to me, cute in their tennis game like fashion, back and forth. But, the end story was that, while I slept, anything laid over me would simply disappear when it contacted my skin. Dad said that watching it was akin to the special effect of something brushing a force field. Neither could they take blood samples cause the needles would also fizz out of existence.

After some time talking about family things in general, I asked, "So when do I get to leave here?"

Mom says, "The doctor said he has someone who can provide authentic credentials, SSN, driver's license, ID and change all your records for us. He just needs a name for you. We thought you'ld like to choose your own name."

"That" Dad said, "and the doctor would still like to try to get a blood sample."

We talked it over and they both told me, that at times I was glowing with a radiance. They offer choices that had some meanings of relevance. With some further thought, I decided, "I've has found a name I like and decided, it will be partly keeping something similar to my old name, but something new."

Into the quiet of the room, I said, "I am, Glenyth Aonani Larsen."

Mom was a little surprised, she said, "I really thought that with how much time you and I watched "Charmed", that you would choose Phoebe."

I smiled, "I considered it, but didn't want to be called a witch."

Dad said, "Sweetheart, with your looks, the only name they'll call you is Angel."

"Whole different story dad!" Laughing.

Mom says, "I did bring some of your PJ's, figuring if they disappeared after you woke up, it wouldn't be too much of a loss. And we would figure it out then. Want to try them on?"

I say, "Sure, let's give them a try. It's either that or spend the rest of my life in the nude, ha ha." Then I thought, "I just realized that toilet paper and towel didn't fizz out, so maybe it is some kind of subconscious protection."

Both my parents agreed as I tried on the PJs. Nothing happened, so I guess that clothes were going to be part of my life. The fit of the PJs wasn't all that bad. The top and bottoms were a little long, thanks to my slightly more diminutive size. And thanks to having been somewhat overweight, my more than diminutive stature kept them from being too baggy.

It took me all that time to notice which PJs mom had brought me to wear, "Very funny, Mother!" Her and dad both laughing at my expense. I was wearing yellow PJs with Transformers logos and characters. And prominent across my chest was the Autobot symbol. I couldn't keep from joining them in the laughter.

Between laughs, she adds, "You always seemed to like ironic humor. Guess that hasn't changed"

It was about then when a male nurse entered the room, "Well, it seems like someone finally got to get dressed. Sorry to hear that! Ha, Ha. No, really, most of the staff, both male and female just loved to see how peaceful you finally slept."

Somehow I could sense that he only had the best of intentions, I said, "Thank you! Byron, " noticing his name tag. "Does that mean I should take my PJs back off?" Giving him a small wink. He started to get all flustered and figured I was being unfair to him. "I'm just teasing Byron." And smiled.

"That's fine, I deserved that. But, I must say, that when you smile, the whole room feels brighter."

It was now my turn to blush, coyly lowering my eyes, I ask, "So, my dad says the doctor would like to try for a blood sample?"

"Yes, let me just step out and let the doctor know that you're up and dressed."

Before he could leave, "Byron? Is there any chance I can get some food? I'm starving here."

Turning his head, "Yes, miss. I'll see what Food Services has." And then he was gone.

Not too long, the doctor walks in with a Phlebotomy tech. The doctors tag just reads Benjamin, but clearly he is a doctor with his cool demeanor. I could sense that this man was someone I could trust. He said, "Well, hello young lady. Good to finally meet you and talk. I'm Benjamin. You can call me that or Ben, Benny, even doctor or doc. But I do draw the line at Bugs Bunny impressions. Fair enough?"

"Fair enough Doc. My new name is Glenyth, Glenyth Aonani Larsen, and it's nice to meet you too.

The doctor says, "Good to know, now we can get your papers ready. It won't take too long. The results of the blood tests will take a couple of days to a week. But you can come back for that."

We all watch the blood tech as she prepares to draw a sample. I never liked seeing my own blood so I turned to look past the tech, over her shoulder. She says to be ready, just a small pinch. I barely felt the needle when I heard multiple gasps.

End of Chapter 2

Thanks for Reading!

Mopar

Goddess Blessings

up
192 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well, she either has a very

Well, she either has a very different colored blood, or the syringe once more simply disolved into nothingness.

Almost

Mopar's picture

Close, but, no cigar. Sorry, no spoilers. lol

Thanks for Reading!

Mopar

Goddess Blessings!

Spoilers

Mopar's picture

To find out, you'll just have to read chapter 3. lol

Thanks for Reading!

Mopar

Goddess Blessings!

Destructed clothing

So... The clothes, bed sheets, and needles all vanish into thin air when they come into contact with her body. I guess they all need to be thankful that the sheets that she was laying on, the bed, the floor, the floor below, the basement floor, the ground, the center of the earth...

Also, it's good that nobody who touched her for any reason lost their hands.

Probability

Mopar's picture

More than likely powers of this nature would be 'soul' bound, meaning they would be controlled by the soul consciously or unconsciously, possibly to different degrees and limits. Telling more than this could or not be considered a spoiler.

Thanks for Reading!

Mopar

Goddess Blessings!

Big Thanks

Mopar's picture

Thank you! Wendy Jean. Lately, the more I write, the more I feel that the stories should be set in their own universe, called the Freyaverse. I just don't know how to do that in the 'Add Story' page.

Thanks for Reading!

Mopar

Goddess Blessings!

Protection

Jamie Lee's picture

No blood could be drawn or anything put on Glenyth while she was unconscious so that might mean this was a form of protection to keep her from being harmed while unconscious. That she can put on clothing and blood be drawn when conscious backs up that theory.

So because gasps were heard when her blood was drawn what was seen was not normally expected.

Others have feelings too.