My Week at The Lake Day 5

Printer-friendly version

“Come on slowpokes.” Chris was a quarter of the way up the switchback of Crabtree Falls.

They had left early after breakfast. They took Edwards SUV, instead of taking two cars. Jimmy had come along with them on this trip. He tried to keep up with her, but he couldn’t. She was a lot fitter then he was. Plus, she was enjoying herself as she went higher up the path.

Edward and Anthony jogged up to stand with Chris. They were waiting for Jimmy and Bruce to catch up with them. Bruce finally appears with
Jimmy a few minutes behind him. He looked to be a little exhausted.

“We can take a few minutes if you guys want too. We’re not that far from the top.” Chris couldn’t wait to get to the top of the waterfall.

“We can wait for a while.” Edward figures he could give Jimmy some time to rest.

Chris hands a bottled water to each person and some gorp mix. She especially likes the dry apples and peaches. The mix she made for herself, had pineapples, apples, bananas, and peaches.

Chris walks over to the lookout and looks at the waterfall as it cascades down beside them. She pulls her cell phone out and snaps a few photos of the waterfall. She would love to take some of the water back with her.

After fifteen minutes they start their way up to the top of the waterfall. Chris arrives first and then the others. She looks at the waterfall and smiles. she loved the view from the top of the waterfall.

They look around and enjoy the instant meals Chris packed along with some more water. She looks at everyone to see how they were enjoying their meal. She noticed Jimmy wasn’t enjoying his. Like the others did.

“What’s wrong Jimmy? Don’t you like your lunch?” Chris had a beef stew one.

Jimmy looks over towards Chris “it wasn’t what I was expecting.”

“Next time we go hiking, I could make sandwiches instead.” Chris had everything she needed back at the camper.

After an hour of enjoying the view from the top of the waterfall. They head back towards the SUV. Chris was hanging back, so she could get pictures of the waterfall. Jimmy had found an old slim tree branch he was using as a walking stick.

The other guys were ahead of him and Chris. Chris was ahead of him. An evil idea pops in his head.

“Come on slowpokes. We’re heading back to the campsite.” Edward calls back to Chris and Jimmy.

Chris increases her pace and the next thing she knows, she trips on something and goes tumbling down the path. She tries to brace herself but failed as she slides down the switch back. She tries to get up, but her ankle and wrist were hurting her.

A sly smile appears on Jimmy’s face as he watches Chris tumbles down the switchback. He stays where he is, just watching. He doesn’t bother to go and help Chris as she lays on the ground.

Bruce turned back to see if Chris and Jimmy were coming. He notices Chris laying face first on the ground.

“Guys, Chris needs help.” Bruce runs towards her.

Edward and Anthony turn around and rushes towards Chris as she laid on the ground. Anthony kneels next to her like Bruce was doing.

“Chris are you okay?” Bruce held her hand.

Anthony gently picks her up off the ground and brush the dirt off her. He notices the cuts and scrapes on her body. She goes to take a step and winces in pain.

“Ow!” Chris uses Anthony for support.

“What is it?” Bruce looks at Chris with concern on his face.

“I think I sprained my ankle and wrist.” Chris wanted to get back to the car right away and put an ice pack on her ankle and wrist.

“How did you fall?” As Anthony picks her up in his arms and carries her.

“I think I tripped on a root or stone.” Chris didn’t see what she tripped on.

Jimmy comes down finally “are you alright, Chris?”

He had a straight face as he approached Chris and everyone. He carefully approaches the group.

“I’m fine. It’s my ego that took a bruising,” Chris felt foolish being carried in Anthony’s arms like a child.

When they get back to the SUV. Edward takes the emergency kit Chris keeps in the backpack she brought. He takes the ice pack out and put it on her wrist and ankle.

Chris pops a few aspirins in her mouth to help with the pain. She gets comfortable as she sits in the passenger seat. It doesn’t take them long to get back to camp.

Anthony carries Chris inside and lays her on the sofa she has been sleeping on. Edward comes in and checks her ankle. He has sprained his a few times.

“Fill a ziplock bag with ice and put it on her ankle, Anthony.” Edward was careful as he felt around her ankle.

“So, is anything broken?” Chris looks towards Edward for an answer.

“No, I think you just sprained it.” Edward takes out an ace bandage and wraps Chris’s wrist.

“I can’t believe I tripped on a root.” Chris felt foolish and embarrassed.

“It happens to the best of us, Chris. Why don’t you take it easy and I’ll make dinner for everyone today?” Edward places the ice pack on her
ankle.

“Thanks, Edward.” Chris smiles at him.

“Any time.” Chris watches as he leaves the camper.

Anthony looks at her “are you going to be okay?”

“Yea, I’ll be fine.” Chris shivers from the ice pack.

She pulls her fire kindle out and starts reading a book she bought.

up
194 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I have to wonder if

the accident was arranged somehow.

Re: I have to wonder

Oh, yeah, it was. Remember that stick Jimmy was carrying? He used it to cause her to trip and fall. She thought it was a root.

Jimmy the rat fink

Someone needs an attitude adjustment. The best adjustment tool is a closed fist.

Re: Jimmy the rat fink

Or a quick shove off a nice, high cliff, say five hundred feet or so. Lots of broken bones are likely, perhaps even a fatality.

At some point, one of the others is going to catch Jimmy in the act, beat the ever living crap out of him and leave him behind.

Jimmy is an evil little toad,

Jimmy is an evil little toad, why did he even bother to come along.

Gorp??

Man it’s been a while since someone used the word gorp. Seems like our wonderful author is into hiking or cycling. Well done at bringing back some nice memories. Thank you.

Jimmy will get bold and more stupid then, get caught.

No, that was Gort.

Brooke Erickson's picture

No, that was Gort.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Too bad no-one saw Jimmy trip

Too bad no-one saw Jimmy trip Chris. I actually believe he was hoping Chris would fall over the side of the trail and go down a long way, so no-one could find the body. Plus I would be questioning him as to why he did not go to help Chris when the fall occurred as he was with her. Further he did not come and help when the others did. Very strange indeed if they think about it all.