Laura, part 21

Printer-friendly version

I let out a long, satisfied moan as I stretch my slender body out on the sun lounger. It’s the hottest summer I’ve ever known, but that’s not the only thing that makes it the best summer ever- there’s also the fact that I have a disposable income of my own from not one but two part-time jobs, I have a tall, sexy boyfriend who seems to fancy me more with every passing day, and the not-so-small fact that I’m currently wearing just a tiny bikini, whereas 365 days ago, I was stuck in a cramped classroom wearing a hot, stuffy school uniform.

It’s still weird to think that I’ll never wear that uniform again, and even weirder to think that in four months’ time, I’ll be legally allowed to learn to drive a car, and twelve months after that, I’ll legally be an adult. Weirdest of all is the thought that for the past eight months, I’ve been able to have sex with whoever I want, which in my case, is just one person- though Kain and I are yet to ‘take advantage’ of that fact.

That’s not say that we haven’t ‘played’ with it, of course, much like we did immediately after Kain’s birthday, but actual sexual intercourse hasn’t been on the table- or on the sofa, or in the bed, or wherever. We’ve discussed it, but nothing has been ‘done’ about it yet. The fact that we both live with overprotective parents and/or younger siblings doesn’t help either. However, this isn’t dampening our mood, or ruining our summer, as there’s plenty of fun that can be had with your clothes on (even if my bikini is stretching the definition of ‘clothing’ a little), and in just two days’ time is the moment every girl in school has been dreaming of since the moment they started Year 7- the Year 11 leavers’ prom!

Ever since the end of our exams, Nicole, Suriya, Harriet, Megan, Mia and I have spent virtually all of our free time trying on dresses, experimenting with the perfect hair and make-up looks and about a hundred other things to prepare ourselves for the big day on Friday.

And it’s precisely that that’s made this summer the best of them all- because all throughout, I have been unconditionally accepted as a girl by all of the people I care about the most. After five years of being ‘Laura’, I’ve almost completely forgotten what it was like to be a boy, and I am in absolutely no rush to remember.

“Refills coming up!” Suriya announces as she emerges from her kitchen with a large pitcher of tropical fruit juice that thankfully has several large ice cubes floating in it.

“Here- let me help you with that babe,” Ryan (Suriya’s new boyfriend) says, helping the tiny girl with the heavy-looking pitcher and earning a giggle from her as he grabs a generous helping of buttock with his free hand. Naturally, Suriya’s bikini is just as ‘lightweight’ as mine, and is attracting a lot of attention from the other boys in the garden. One of the boys, however, is deliberately not looking at Suri, as he only has eyes for one of the girls in the garden.

“Here you go babe,” Kain says, sitting down next to me and giving me a soft, gentle kiss as he hands me my cool drink.

“Thanks,” I giggle as I snuggle next to my boyfriend’s warm, toned body- an action that makes him very ‘obviously’ excited. “Glad you’re sitting down, then?”

“HELL yes,” Kain giggles, wrapping an arm around my slender waist.

“You- sorry, WE won’t have to wait much longer,” I whisper into my boyfriend’s ear. “I promise.” Kain and I both smile as we relax onto the sun lounger together and watch the goings-on in the rest of the garden, but deep inside, I am just as nervous about Friday as I am excited.

There's a part of me that's desperate to lose my virginity. It's the same part that has occasionally taken over and led me to some very stupid decisions in the past (such as what happened with Scott), and is constantly whispering in my ear that I have a willing (occasionally VERY willing) boyfriend, and that it's going to have to happen eventually, so why not get it over and done with?

This argument, however, always leads to a counter-argument from another side of me that says that 'getting it over and done with' is the absolute worst possible attitude with which to approach sex, that I should enjoy it, make the first time special, something I'll always remember fondly, and this is why Kain and I haven't rushed into it.

...And then I'm reminded that, as thousands of hours of American TV have reminded me, prom is THE night when this is supposed to happen. Logically, I know that this is silly, that real life is nothing like TV or movies, and indeed, most of my friends have lost their virginity long before prom. It's just that I'm not one of them. If I had been a genetic girl, with an actual 'front door', then it might be different, but the truth is that I'm not- my choices are limited to 'back door' or 'chimney', neither of which are designed for the task, which just reminds me that the rest of my body isn't designed right, that while surgery might give me a 'front door' I won't be able to have it for another two years and even then it'll require months of recovery and pain and by this point I've argued with myself so much I get a headache and decide to forget the whole thing, only to start the whole argument again days, sometimes hours later.

There's only one thing that's certain, though- I can't avoid this argument forever, and Kain certainly won't want to wait forever, no matter how much he states he would be willing to...

"You okay babe?" Kain asks, instinctively sensing that one of these 'headaches' is imminent. "You thinking about, umm, prom?"

"Yeah," I sigh, before sipping my drink. "Nothing that can't be put off 'till tomorrow though, hehe! You going to play some basketball with the boys?"

"You don't want to cuddle with me some more?" Kain pouts, before chuckling. "...Or is this you saying 'get off the sun lounger I need an even tan'?"

"That's it," I reply with a grin, making my boyfriend chuckle before giving him one more tight cuddle.

"Kinda making it hard to stand up again babe," Kain says, before laughing, giving me a kiss and slowly rising from my sun lounger, allowing me to stretch out in the hot midday sun.

Eventually, morning turns to afternoon and early evening and the party in the garden dissipates, with all of us having topped up our tans ahead of Friday, even the naturally pale-skinned Harriet and Mia (who naturally spent all day cuddling together on their own sun lounger). Naturally, Kain is extremely disappointed as he watches me cover my body (well, some of it anyway) with the clingy sleeveless crop top and extra-short denim skirt I wore to Suriya’s house, but his disappointment soon vanishes when I slip my feet into my cork wedges and stand on my tiptoes to give him a long, gentle kiss.

“See you tomorrow,” Kain says with a nervous grin.

“See you tomorrow babe,” I say, giving Kain another kiss before he gets in his parents’ car and is driven away, leaving me to sigh as I slide onto the back seat of Megan’s parents’ car (though not before saying goodbye to the rest of my friends with gentle hugs, of course).

“Huh, you two CAN be separated then,” Megan says, smirking as I roll my eyes at her joke.

“Just ‘cause your boyfriend’s going to be stuck in fun land for the next week,” I retort, before sighing. “…Sorry.”

“Nah, knew what I was getting into dating a year 10,” Megan shrugs. “And George is a lot cooler than most of the boys in our year, heh.”

“Most, but not all,” I say with a smug grin. “Still feels weird knowing that I’m not going to be going back there next year, you know?”

“Oh- definitely,” Megan chuckles.

“Trust me, it’s weirder for your parents,” Megan’s mother interrupts. “One second I’m changing your nappy, the next you’ve got a boyfriend and are looking at universities.”

“Thanks for THAT mental image, mum,” Megan snorts.

“…And talking back to me as well,” Mrs. Cartman chuckles. “My mum would’ve said ‘you’re never too big to go over my knee’ but fortunately, times have changed.”

“Thanks also for the implied height joke,” my 6’ 2” BFF says to her 5’ 4” mother.

“That wasn’t a jab at your height and you know it,” Mrs. Cartman says. “Sometimes I’m amazed that you were considered the best behaved enough to be made Head Girl.”

“It was the other students who voted for her, Mrs. Cartman,” I interject, giggling as Megan sticks her tongue out at me.

“That explains it,” Mrs. Cartman chuckles. “I take it you’re looking to Friday as well, Laura?”

“Oh- definitely, hehe!” I giggle. “I’ve been looking forward to it since I started Year 7, heh. Of course, when I started Year 6, I never thought it would be possible, but- yeah. Huh, and you thought Megan getting older was ‘weird’.”

“I was never going to comment about that,” Mrs. Cartman says at the reminder that she is one of very few people I still have contact with who knew ‘Leon’- with Megan herself obviously being another.

“I never doubted it,” Megan says with a supportive smile. “At primary school I always thought how unfair it was that you were a boy. And it not like you exactly had it easy at school, but I am happy that things worked out for you the way they should.”

“Trust me, not as happy as I am!” I chuckle. “Yeah… There’s quite a lot about school that I WON’T miss.”

“Especially as you and your friends will probably still be hanging out together when you’re my age?” Mrs. Cartman asks.

“We’ll DEFINITELY be hanging out together,” I say with a confident smirk. “X8 forever, hehe!” Megan giggles as we exchange the official ‘Excellent Eight’ gesture- arms crossed over our chest with our fingers (but not our thumbs) splayed out.

We arrive back at my home a short while later, and after bidding farewell to my BFF with a hug, I step out of the car and let out a sigh as I see a fancy (and very out of place on our street) Lexus parked outside our house. Most girls I know would be excited by what this implies- that a bona fide Angel is currently inside our house- yet I can’t help but feel anxious, as if Alice is here, it also means that her boyfriend is here…

“And what time do you call this?” Ricky asks as I walk into the living room and instantly roll my eyes.

“Noon,” I retort, earning a smirk from my older brother.

“And are you going to get dressed or just walk around in your underwear all day?” Ricky asks, though before I have the chance to retort, this question is answered courtesy of a smack on the arm from the red-haired woman sitting next to him.

“Leave her alone,” Alice chastises in her strong north-eastern accent. “You look great, Laura!”

“Thanks,” I giggle as I plop down in my usual spot on the sofa and cross one long, tanned leg over the other. “What are you doing here, anyway?”

“Charming,” Ricky says as he leans forward and takes a swig of his beer. “We’re just dropping round as we’re off on holiday next week.”

“Anywhere nice?” I ask.

“Aye- off for a week in Singapore!” Alice excitedly replies.

"Wanted to go in September so we could catch the F1 race, but I'll be back at uni by then, so yeah," Ricky sighs.

"And we'll be busy launching the Spanish Angels next month too," Alice chuckles tiredly. “You guys going anywhere nice this summer?”

“Just Disneyland Paris, start of August,” Sean replies. “Figured the girls deserve a treat, with Lily about to start secondary school and Laura just finishing.”

“Even if it does mean I miss a friend’s wedding that I’d been invited to,” I pout.

“I’ve told you a million times,” mum says, “I’m not letting you travel all the way to Scotland by yourself! When you’re eighteen, then yes. And even you have to admit that’s not THAT long to wait.”

“Yeah, I guess,” I sigh, though in truth I am a little glad by mum’s ‘decree’- even though I would’ve been travelling up with friends (well, my boss, who’s one of the bridesmaids) the thought of being so far away from my family for so long was nerve-wracking. Even four years on, my ‘father’s actions are still ruining my life…

“When will you be filming the next season of your show?” Sean asked, before turning to me with a cheeky grin on his face. “We promised we’d wait until you got back before asking that question.” Naturally, this earns chuckles from everyone else in the room and an eye roll from me.

“Not going to be filming again until the New Year,” Alice replies with a knowing smile. “Got a few ‘other’ projects we need to work on in the meantime, hehe!”

“Is this the American Angels?” I ask excitedly. “Or is the rumour that you’re doing a ‘become an Angel’ competition true?” I bite my lip and my cheeks start to redden as the other four people in the room chuckle at my unintended fangirling.

“…Maybe and maybe,” Alice replied. “You’ll just have to keep following us online to see, won’t you?”

“Like there’s any danger of that NOT happening,” Sean teases, chuckling as I roll my eyes.

“Hysterical,” I snort.

“And don’t worry, even if they do one of those competitions you suggested, I’ll make sure you don’t get on it,” Ricky says with a smug grin.

“Oh- and what if I do apply?” I retort.

“You wouldn’t be allowed to,” Alice replies, making me sigh and shake my head. “Family member of an Angel. Or near enough, hehe!” I roll my eyes at Alice’s teasing, though on the inside, I can’t help but be excited at the fact that I am (technically) related to one of my idols.

“That, and I’d use my influence to make sure you didn’t,” Ricky shrugs, and I can’t help but giggle as his girlfriend’s eyes widen at the use of the word ‘influence’.

“Influence!?” Alice exclaims as mum and Sean also giggle at my brother’s expense.

“Yeah,” Ricky replies. “I say things and people listen.”

“You’ll have to introduce me to one of these ‘people’ some time,” Alice snorts, before allowing herself a giggle. “So, Laura, how are you enjoying freedom then?”

“Loving every second of it,” I reply with a grin.

“I can tell by your tan!” Alice chuckles as she points at my bronzed legs.

“Yep!” I squeak. “Though I need to spend as much time as possible outside ahead of Friday…”

“Ooh, yes, of course!” Alice giggles, and this time it’s my brother’s turn to roll his eyes. “The thing that almost makes five years of school worth it, hehe!”

“Don’t worry, I made sure Laura’s watched ‘Carrie’,” Ricky says, making Alice sigh and my mother spit in disgust.

“Isn’t that film an 18 certificate?” Sean asks.

“Not the remake,” I reply. “Sadly. It is nice that Ricky doesn't think of me as a child anymore, though.” For once, it's my smug grin that makes my brother fidget uncomfortably.

“Are- are you worried that anything like that-“ Alice stammers.

“Not really,” I say. “I mean, I was a prefect so I helped organise the prom, and it’s not like Kain’s only going out with me, you know, for a bet or a prank. And I’ll have my whole gang with me all night, heh!” In truth, though, there is a part of me that’s worried.

Even though they’ve had five years to get used to the idea that I am a girl, there are some people in our year who still can’t get that simple fact through their thick skulls. While there’s no one in the school as obnoxious as Sam Reid was, I got the usual whispers and giggles right up to the day I left the school, and without the threat of expulsion hanging over their heads, there may be someone who wants to do a ‘Carrie’ on me at prom. However, someone else who has no fear of expulsion is Harriet, who has effectively promised that anyone who does try to ruin our prom will get a beat down like the one she gave the aforementioned Sam Reid. That should hopefully be enough of a deterrent!

Alice and Ricky stick around for another hour, staying just long enough to say hi to Lily (who is naturally not exactly thrilled to have to endure my brother’s presence, even if it’s just for a few minutes). After a quick dinner (Lily having eaten at the friend’s house she went to after school) I head up to my bedroom, where my willpower isn’t strong enough to stop me from opening my wardrobe and sighing happily at the gorgeous dress contained within.

While it may be an off-the-rack dress (mum and Sean not being rich enough to afford a bespoke dress), it's nonetheless by far the most gorgeous dress I've ever owned. It has a nearly floor length skirt that's made of multiple layers of chiffon and a fitted bodice that hugs my curves and shows off a lot of cleavage. And best of all, it's in a radiant gold colour that emphasises my blonde hair and blue eyes perfectly. When paired with the high-heeled shoes and special jewellery mum and Sean bought me for the night, I will truly feel like the princess I always wanted to be.

Time seems to stop as I inspect the dress, loving the feeling of the gentle fabric flowing through my fingers and imagining how it’ll feel when it’s on my body and I’m dancing all night in it- or how it’ll feel when Kain slides it off my body. I’m only snapped out of my ‘trance’ when a gentle knock comes from the door, and my little soon-to-be-stepsister pokes her head around it.

“Oh, hey Lily!” I say, involuntarily grinning when she comes into the room and I can see what she’s wearing.

As I outgrew my clothes, I got rid of a lot of them, some to charity shops while others just went into the bin. Some clothes, however, were special to me, mementos of my transition that I simply couldn’t bear to part with. One of them is the very first skirt I ever wore, the short denim skirt my mum bought for me when I was eleven. For years it sat at the back of my drawer, acting as the occasional reminder that I AM a girl and I have plenty of people who support me, but when Sean and Lily moved in, it seemed like the perfect time to hand it over, and right now that skirt is hanging from my soon to be stepsister’s hips. In a strange way, seeing Lily wearing my old skirt is an even stronger reminder of my femininity than seeing it in my drawer or on my own body.

It should also go without saying that among my other ‘memento clothes’ are the dress I’ll be wearing on Friday, as well as the blazer and skirt that made up my uniform on my first day at secondary school- which Lily will also be wearing in a few weeks’ time when she starts Year 7.

“Your brother sucks,” Lily sighs as she flops onto my bed (I have an open door policy as far as Lily and my room are concerned, as long as she knocks first).

“OUR brother sucks,” I correct the eleven year old girl. “And yes, yes he does. I would ask what specifically he did to make him suck but I doubt it’d surprise me. At least he isn’t trying to shave your head, heh.”

“…He actually tried that?” Lily asks.

“He actually DID that,” I shudder. “When I was pretty much the same age as you.”

“He- ugh, sorry, sometimes forget you were- well, you know…” Lily mumbles.

“Yeah, I forget too,” I chuckle. “Don’t really want to remember most of the time, heh. Though the last five years, think I’ve kinda earned the right to wear this dress, you know?”

“How can you not have earned it?” Lily asks.

“Exactly,” I reply confidently. “Whether people like it or not.”

“Seems weird to think that Ricky was one of those people who, you know, didn’t like it,” Lily says. “I mean, he’s a jerk, but he’s, like, a supportive jerk, you know?”

“He wasn’t always,” I snort. “It’s probably the only thing he’s ever admitted he was wrong about, and even then it was only because of our- well, because of ‘Robert’.”

“Yeah,” Lily grimaces, shuddering at the thought of my so-called father. “So, umm… Can- can I have that dress after you’re done with it?” I smirk and roll my eyes at my sister’s feeble attempt at persuasion.

“HELL no,” I reply, giggling as the young girl pouts. “For a very good reason- when it’s your turn to go to prom, you’ll want your own dress. Hand-me-down uniforms are one thing, but prom- prom’s special. Trust me, when you’re older, you’ll get it.”

“Yeah, I kinda get the whole ‘sex’ thing,” Lily says, making my eyes go wide.

“I- I’m pretty sure your dad wouldn’t want to hear you say that,” I stammer.

“What?” Lily shrugs. “I’m eleven, we’ve had sex education classes at school."

“Wouldn’t tell your dad THAT either,” I snort.

“OUR dad,” Lily reminds me with a smug grin, and I can’t help but giggle. "And he already knows. It was fun watching his face turn purple, heh."

“...OUR dad,” I concur as I sit down next to my little sister and settle in for an evening of girly gossip.

Chatting with Lily takes up most of the rest of the night, along with chatting with my friends on Facebook and, of course, admiring my prom dress! I eventually opt for an early night, as while I may be on holiday from school, I still have a part-time job that I need to go to.

Sure enough, the following morning- after getting up at 7am, which is NOT fun- I walk the short distance through central London to my place of employment, where the manager is setting up for the day with a tired look on her face.

“Long night?” I tease the northern transwoman, who responds with a sigh and a roll of her eyes.

“Friend’s birthday last night,” Natalie replies, making me giggle.

“Thought you weren’t supposed to party the night before a school night?” I say, giggling even more as Natalie rolls her eyes again.

“I didn’t drink THAT much,” my manager snorts. “It’s just- it was a little bit of a ‘revelation’, for want of a better word, that’s all. Found out a few things that- ehh, never mind. Nothing you need to worry about. Especially considering what’s happening tomorrow!”

“Oh?” Saffron- one of my colleagues- asks from her position behind the counter. “What’s happening tomorrow?”

“Oh, just Miss White’s prom,” Natalie replies, making me blush and Shannon squeak with excitement.

“Oh, so cool!” Saffron giggles. “I still have the dress I wore to mine, heh. Just couldn’t bear to part with it, you know?”

“Ugh, tell me about it,” Natalie says, before sighing sadly. “Just wish I had a prom dress to keep, heh.”

“Oh- god, sorry…” Saffron grimaces. “Sometimes it’s just so easy to forget, you know?”

“That is kinda the point of the make-up,” Natalie chuckles. “And the hair, the jewellery, the ‘shape enhancers’. Oh, and the skirt, of course.”

“And the hormones,” I interject. “Well, in my case, anyway.”

“Could have them if I wanted,” Natalie retorts, before throwing me a bundle of menus. “Get these on the tables, we open in tem minutes.”

“Yes, ma’am!” I reply with a playful salute, making my colleagues laugh as we continue setting up.

Ten minutes later, the coffee shop opens, and twenty minutes after that it’s teeming with people wanting their morning coffee or, in some cases, eager to see if they can get a glimpse of or a selfie with anyone famous. The shop isn't shy about advertising its association with Heavenly Talent, and while Angels don’t drop in every day, they’re usually in at least twice a week- and as luck would have it, today is no exception!

“Ooh, wonder who it is today?” Saffron muses between serving customers as we notice the crowd outside grow more excited. The shop door opens a few seconds later, and I can’t help but giggle as the unmistakable figure of Jamie-Lee Burke enters, followed by her PA- and my close friend and occasional mentor- Nikki Phillips-Thomas. Despite their fame, they wait in line for their drinks like everyone else, and when they’re ready I naturally make sure I’m the one who takes them to their table.

“Ah, thanks Laura,” Nikki says as I place her sweet-smelling cappuccino in front of her.

“Do I need to drag the high chair over again?” I tease the Angel, who smirks as I place her coffee on the table.

“No, Olivia’s out with her dad and his family today,” Jamie chuckles. “Surprised you’re not out and enjoying the summer holidays, though!”

“Oh, she will be tomorrow, if her Instagram’s to be believed…” Nikki says, giggling as I start to blush.

“Please do not tease the staff,” I mumble.

“Ah, just ‘cause you haven’t got the tattoo, doesn’t mean you’re not one of ‘The Fellowship’,” Nikki giggles, and despite my embarrassment, I can’t help but get a warm feeling inside at the fact that these famous, successful women are treating me like an old friend.

“What’s happening tomorrow?” Jamie asks.

“One word, four letters,” Nikki replies. “P-R-O-M.”

“Ooh,” Jamie says with a wide grin. “I remember mine well. Mainly cause, you know, it was when I was 21, heh.”

“Yeah, I didn’t go to mine either,” Nikki sighs. “I’d started HRT a few weeks earlier and was NOT going to wear a tux or a suit, and, well, most of the kids at my school wouldn’t have reacted well to the sight of me in a dress. Still kinda feel sorry that Sarah missed out too, but I reckon it worked out in the end.”

“I’d say it did, seeing how you two are the cutest couple ever, hehe!” Jamie teases, making her PA roll her eyes.

“I thought we were meant to be teasing Laura?” Nikki says.

“I’m happy if you don’t,” I say smugly. “Can I get you two ladies anything else?”

“We’re fine,” Jamie says, before remembering something. “Oh, but if you, you know, want to talk before or after tomorrow, just shoot me a Facebook message, okay?” I smile and nod at Jamie’s offer- it’s obvious exactly what she’s offering to talk about, and I’m forced to admit that her advice could be useful. It’s not like I can talk to Lily about it, after all, and talking to mum, Sean or Ricky would be so awkward I’d probably die of embarrassment before getting any useful advice. I could always talk to Alice, but she can’t appreciate my ‘unique situation’ as well as Jamie or Nikki obviously can.

Jamie and Nikki stick around for another twenty minutes before leaving, though on her way out, Jamie gives me a knowing look that tells me that she expects a Facebook message later on today- an invitation I definitely intend to accept.

“These are for table 5,” Saffron says as she places two lattes and a delicious-smelling bowl of carbonara chips on my tray. “You and Jamie have a good chat, then?”

“Mmm,” I reply. “I mean yes, obviously we have a lot to chat about usually, but she’s really, you know, understanding?”

“I’ve always found that, yeah,” Saffron muses. “Think that’ll be all the Angels we get today though, so back to work, missy!”

“Yes, ma’am!” I say with another mock salute as I take my customers their refreshments.

My shift at the coffee shop ends just after 1:30pm, when Harriet, Megan, Nicole, Mia and Suriya come to the shop- the latter of whom takes over from me while I sit down at a table with the rest of the girlies to enjoy a hard-earned lunch.

“Just one day to go!” Nicole squeaks, literally bouncing up and down in her chair with excitement.

“Ahh, I SO can’t wait!” Mia sighs happily. “Tomorrow is going to be AMAZING. Like, literally from when we get up right to when we go to bed, right?”

“ESPECIALLY when we go to bed!” Harriet giggles, slyly giving her girlfriend’s bare, pale thigh a firm squeeze.

“Definitely,” Mia says, giggling as she exchanges a gentle kiss with Harriet.

“Ahh, you two are SO cute,” Megan sighs. “Kinda makes you wish they could just do away with the whole ‘prom king’ thing and just have two queens.”

“And why shouldn’t they?” Harriet asks smugly.

“Umm- because my boyfriend is cool, awesome and- umm, sexy…” I say, my voice faltering due to the implications of the word ‘sexy’.

“Well- yeah…” Megan grimaces. “Ah, god, Laura, you know I don’t mean to pry, but-“

“Then don’t pry,” I snap, before letting out a long sigh. “Sorry… It- it’s just, you know, still kinda sensitive?”

“What else is new?” Megan sighs, before smiling as Suriya approaches with our drinks.

“Hey girlies, sorry for the delay,” Suriya says. “So… What’s the goss today?”

“Laura needs to get laid,” Nicole bluntly replies.

“Ugh, what else is new?” Suriya says, before sighing. “I- I’m sorry Laura, I didn’t mean it like THAT, and tell me to get lost and mind my own business if you want, but- well, you know?”

“Yeah, sadly, I do,” I sigh. “And I know you girls all mean well, but- well, you know, right?”

“We just don’t want to see you get hurt,” Megan says. “Not that Kain of all boys is likely to do that, but, you know?”

“Let’s assume that we ALL know what we’re supposed to know,” I sigh. “And I appreciate the concern, but I’ll be fine. Kain’s so much of a gentleman he, like, jumps fifty feet into the air every time I hold hands with him, heh.”

“So god knows what’d happen if you held another part of his-“ Nicole says.

“NO!” The rest of us all shout, before descending into a fit of giggles that attracts quite a bit of attention from the nearby diners!

“Okay, okay,” Megan sighs. “Think we need to agree now- we do not talk of S-E-X before, during OR after prom, okay?”

“Suits me fine,” I reply, though I’m forced to giggle when Harriet and Mia let out disappointed moans.

“How are we meant to not talk about S-E-X when we share the same bed most nights?” Harriet asks with her trademark smug grin.

“…Okay, you two CAN,” Megan chuckles. “But only when you’re in private, okay?”

“Yes, ma’am!” Mia giggles, before giving Harriet’s thigh a firm squeeze that makes all of us giggle and sigh happily- especially Harriet herself!

“There’s part of me that kinda wants to know what you two talk about in private,” Nicole says.

“Well, if you’re up for a three-“ Harriet says, before being cut off by loud groans from the rest of us.

“Well, that rule lasted a good ten seconds,” I snort. “But thanks, girlies, I do appreciate the concern. But this is something Kain and I need to talk about alone. In private. Alone.”

“Absolutely,” Megan says as we sit back in our chairs and the topic of conversation mercifully changes to something a little less ‘intimate’.

The six of us (minus Suriya, obviously) stay at the coffee shop for another half hour before heading back to our respective homes, where I let out another groan as I see Alice’s fancy Lexus parked outside. What’s slightly more surprising, though, is the silver Mercedes Benz S-class next to it. Sure enough, when I enter my home, I let out an involuntary gasp when I see the Merc's owner sat on the sofa, and I realise that she is none other than Mrs. Jamie-Lee Milton.

“Oh- oh my god!” I gasp, stunned by the sight of my idol sat in my living room nonchalantly sipping a cup of tea. “What are you two doing here?”

“We kinda compared notes,” Alice replies with a slight grimace. “S- sorry about that… But I, you know, figured that as unofficial ‘big sister’ I had to, you know, have a talk.”

“And as we are, well, you know,” Jamie mumbles. “Alice kinda thought I’d be able to, you know, help out.”

“…I have had ‘the talk’, you know,” I say as I sit down next to the two famous women. “Mum kinda insisted- where is she, anyway?”

“Upstairs, giving us some privacy,” Alice replies. “And trust me, there’s a big difference between the ‘mum talk’ and the ‘big sister talk’.”

“Especially as there are some topics that, as I said earlier, only apply to ‘girls likes us’,” Jamie says softly.

“Most of that isn’t an issue anyway,” I shrug. “It’s not like Kain and I haven’t, you know, ‘fooled around’. He’s even comfortable with the sight of me naked.”

“Ugh, more than could be said for my first long-term boyfriend, heh,” Jamie snorts.

“Aye, I remember a few horror stories about him, heh,” Alice chuckles.

“He was the photographer, right?” I ask, racking my brains to try to remember some of my friend’s earlier blog posts, from before she became an ‘Angel’.

“Yep,” Jamie replied. “And kinda, technically my ‘fist’ as well.”

“Okay,” I say, fidgeting as the topic of conversation makes me increasingly uncomfortable. “Are you sure you’re allowed to be talking about this with me?”

“We- we just want to, you know, do whatever we can to help,” Jamie says, taken aback by my sudden confrontational attitude.

“Oh, and I do appreciate the concern,” I say. “But I- I’m kinda getting a bit fed up of my sex life being the hot topic of conversation. I mean, yes, I’d almost expect it from my friends and my parents, but from you two?”

“It’s not like we gossip about it behind your back!” Alice protests. “And you have to admit, you have been stressed about the whole thing.”

“Well- yes,” I mumble, before sighing. “…And I guess it’s partly my fault, what with the whole ‘Scott’ thing. Probably wouldn’t have nearly as many headaches if that hadn’t happened, heh. Everyone at school thought I was, like, a sex maniac after that, I dunno.”

“Ugh, now THAT is a reputation that sticks, sadly,” Alice spits.

“Uh- yeah, I know,” I reply, before sighing again. “…Sorry. I know you’re trying to help, but- it-“

“It feels like everyone else in the world is doing it and you don’t want to be left out?” Jamie asks sympathetically.

“God knows we should both know how THAT feels, right?” I ask, smiling as the blonde woman nods. “And yeah, I guess I am, maybe. And… Any advice you have to give would very useful, heh.” Alice and Jamie both smile as I relax back into the sofa. "Oh- umm, do you two want a refill of your drink?"

"...Think you've had enough serving people drinks for one day!" Jamie giggles.

The two Angels only stay for another twenty minutes before heading off, but that's enough time to convince me that whatever happens tomorrow, it has to be something that both Kain and I want. After they leave, I have a quick dinner with the rest of my family before heading to bed for an early night in a vain effort to be rested ahead of tomorrow.

Naturally, I don’t sleep much during the night, but I’m still woken by my phone’s alarm just after 7am. After a few moments of tired frustration at being woken this early, I roll over in bed and am immediately greeted by the sight of my prom dress hanging on my wardrobe door. All of a sudden, my tiredness is replaced by excitement (and a little apprehension), and I quickly throw back my bedsheets and rush to the bathroom to get ready for the day ahead.

After a long, thorough shower, during which I remove any and all body hair below my eyelashes, I head back to my bedroom and put on a light layer of make-up, before pulling on some clean, plain underwear, a loose tank top and a short pleated skirt. After carefully putting my dress, ‘special’ underwear and shoes in their respective bags and boxes ready for tonight, I head downstairs for breakfast- even though I’m far too excited to be able to eat anything!

“Good morning, princess!” Mum teases as I enter the kitchen and am handed a mug of sweet (and strong) smelling coffee. “Looking forward to tonight?”

“Ugh, totally!” I tiredly reply. “Thanks for all you, umm, all you’ve done for today. I know it wasn’t cheap.”

“And I know how hard you’ve worked the last five years at school,” mum says. “Everything you’ve had to go through… Even if your exam results aren’t perfect, you’ve earned tonight. Even if it is hard to see my little girl growing up, heh.” No prizes for guessing what you mean by ‘growing up’, I think as I sip my coffee.

“Umm, yeah,” I nervously chuckle.

“And speaking of ‘growth’,” mum says, placing a large, fatty-smelling bacon sandwich on the table in front of me. “Come on, you know you have to eat, especially today!”

“Yes, yes, I know,” I sigh as I take a small bits out of the sandwich. Even though it’s been years since my bulimia resulted in a hospital stay, and I am currently technically a few kilograms underweight, the prospect of such a filling breakfast makes my stomach even more unsettled than it already is. However, I force every bite down me- more for mum’s benefit than mine- and finish my coffee just as mum leaves for work and Sean leaves to take Lily to school.

I’m not left alone with my thoughts for long, though, as Megan’s father arrives a short while later in his people carrier. After carefully laying out my dress in the boot, I climb onto the back seat next to my BFF, who immediately grabs me and gives me a tight, excited hug!

“Prom day! Prom day!” Megan squeaks as she bounces up and down on her seat.

“Okay, okay!” I giggle as I wriggle free of Megan’s arms. “What ever happened to the head girl being the most mature?”

“The head girl is actually supposed to ‘set an example’,” Megan retorts, before staring at me expectantly. “…Well?” I roll my eyes and giggle, before bouncing up and down on the car seat myself.

“Prom day! Prom day!” I squeak, earning an excited giggle from my BFF and a loud groan from her father in the front of the car.

Needless to say, the car gets more energised as we pick up Harriet, Mia and Nicole, and by the time we arrive at Suriya’s house it’s a wonder the windows haven’t blown out from all the excited squeaking and screaming the five of us have been doing. Somehow, the five of us remain silent as we ring the doorbell, but that ends the second the door opens.

“Prom day!” Suriya squeaks as she’s engulfed in a group hug- well, by those of us not carrying our dresses, anyway!

After bringing our dresses into the house and hanging them up (checking them carefully for creases first, of course), the six of us immediately pile back into the people carrier to be taken to our first ‘appointment’ of the day at a local salon- but not just any salon. Like the coffee shop where I work, this salon is owned by Heavenly Talent, so is also ‘Angel’ themed, and as such is also extremely busy, exclusive and expensive. However, this didn’t stop our parents from clubbing together and booking the six of us in for full hair and make-up treatments- and this won’t be the last treat we receive today!

Even though we’ve been here before (for my sixteenth birthday), the six of us still gasp in awe as we enter the salon and are approached by a smartly-dressed woman who looks only a few years older than us.

“Hi!” The young woman says with a wide, genuine smile. “My name’s Gina, I’m the assistant manager and I’ll be looking after you today. You must be… Laura, Suri, Megan, Nicole, Harriet and Mia, right?”

“Yep, that’s us!” Suriya excitedly replies.

“It’s so good to meet you all!” Gina gushes. “Right this way, please, we’ve reserved our private room just for the six of you! And don’t worry, we know what tonight is, we’ll have you out in plenty of time, hehe!”

“Thanks,” Megan giggles nervously. “And thank you for having us all, heh.”

“Oh- trust me, it’s our pleasure, heh!” Gina replies. “Prom season has given us a LOT of business, heh. Just wish there was a place like this when I had my prom, heh.”

“When was your prom?” Nicole asks.

“Six years ago,” Gina replies, apparently not minding Nicole indirectly asking how old she was. “Well, my sixth form prom was, heh. Had an ‘Olympic’ theme ‘cause, you know, the London Olympics. Have you got a theme for your prom?”

“Just ‘elegant and beautiful’,” I reply.

“Which Laura chose herself,” Harriet teases. “She and Suri were prefects and were in charge of planning it, while Megan here was our head girl!”

“Ooh, really?” Gina asks as my tall BFF starts to blush. “I think I know who’s getting the first chair, then!”

“Umm…” Megan says, fidgeting nervously. “I dunno…”

“Well I DO,” Gina says, directing Megan and the rest of us to the side room where our beauty therapists are ready and waiting for us.

Naturally, we let out another gasp when we see the area that’s been set aside- much like my birthday, it’s been specially laid out with little snacks for us to nibble on and what look like glasses of champagne, but are in fact sparkling grape juice (not that that spoils the 'illusion'), as well as images of the Angels wearing prom dresses adorning the walls. Needless to say, my eyes are drawn to a photograph of the blonde woman who visited my home yesterday wearing a dress very much like the one I'll be wearing tonight.

“This is AWESOME,” I gush as I’m led to my chair.

“I’m glad you approve!” Gina chuckles. “We had pretty strict instructions we had to follow, heh!”

“Our parents told you to do this?” Mia asks, confused.

“Not them,” Gina says, directing a smug smile towards me.

“Umm…?” I mumble.

“I may have had a call yesterday from a certain Mrs. J Milton asking if a certain member of her ‘Fellowship’ had any upcoming appointments,” Gina says, and this time it’s my turn to blush as my friends all turn to look at me. “Turns out her ‘hunch’ was correct, so she gave us a few extra instructions, hehe!”

“…Thanks,” I say quietly as my friends all squeak excitedly in my direction. “Really gonna owe her now, heh!”

“If it helps,” Gina says, “you’re far from the first, well, ‘Jamie-like’ girl she’s insisted on a few extras for. Because of her ‘endorsement’ we do get a few transgendered girls coming here for prom or birthday parties.”

"Yep," I chuckle. "That was me for my sixteenth last November, heh."

"Mrs. Milton may have heard about that too," Gina chuckles. “So it's kind-of a standing order that whenever we get a girl like you, we kinda like to make a fuss.”

“Take it from me, the professional makeover IS a fuss!” I giggle as my beauty therapist turns me around and gives my hair a thorough wash.

Once my hair is washed and dried, the beautician sets to work with a curling iron, adding a playful wave to my long tresses. While some of my friends will be getting updos for tonight, I'm wearing my hair loose- at 5' 9" I don't need any extra 'help', but I do need my hair to look perfect, and when the beautician is done, it looks like a waterfall of liquid gold cascading over my shoulders.

Next are my nails- rather than go for a specific colour, I instead have a very shiny coat of clear polish applied to each perfectly-shaped nail- though toenails do get a coat of glossy gold-coloured polish.

Finally comes my make-up. After a few minutes in a hot face mask to open up my pores, I have a subtle glossy foundation applied, followed by a pair of long, heavy false eyelashes, dark, striking eyeliner and a light layer of glittery bronze eye shadow. Finally comes a thick layer of a very expensive brand of scarlet red lipstick. When I look at my completed look in the mirror, I let out a little gasp- it's hard to believe that the glamorous woman staring back at me is a sixteen year old girl. And, best of all, it's impossible to believe that she could be a sixteen year old boy.

Even though we’re in the chairs for ages, time seems to fly, and it comes as a shock (not to mention disappointment) to us when Gina returns to tell us our time is almost up, and our beauticians apply the finishing touches to our looks for the night.

“Aww, awesome work girls!” Gina says to her employees as we’re escorted from our chairs and into a private area with large mirrors that allows us to see our completed looks for the first time.

Needless to say, all of us are VERY happy with the work that’s been done, and we all squeak with excitement when Gina leaves and returns seconds later with a young woman who has a very fancy-looking digital camera with her.

“Hey girls,” Gina says. “This is Katie, and she’s going to take a few photos of you for our social media pages if that’s okay? Your parents have given permission for us to use the pictures for publicity.”

“Fine with us, right girlies?” Megan asks, to which all of us respond with eager nods.

“Though I’d want you to wait until tomorrow before putting them online,” Nicole says as she skips toward the makeshift studio that Katie and Gina quickly set up.

“Any particular reason?” Gina asks.

“Yep!” Nicole says smugly. “Don’t want to ruin the surprise for my boyfriend, hehe!”

“Same here!” Suri giggles as I feel the attention of the room turn toward me again.

“Well, obviously!” I giggle. “Just feel sorry for those two, having the surprise ‘ruined’, hehe!” I smile as Harriet and Mia look at me with mock offence, though I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t excited to see how Kain will react to my makeover!

“Ooh, are you two going together?” Gina asks, giggling happily as Harriet and Mia link their fingers. “SO cute, hehe!”

“We think so,” Mia says with a proud grin. “Can we have our photos together?”

“Don’t see why not,” Gina says. “Kate?”

“Sure,” Katie replies with a shrug. “Want me to do a group shot for all six of you?”

“That’d be awesome, please!” Megan giggles, and it should go without saying that all of us are in agreement.

After our impromptu photoshoot, we’re picked up by Suriya’s father and ferried back to her house, where the preparations start in earnest. One by one, the six of us take turns changing into our gowns, and when my turn comes, I’m so nervous I’m almost shaking.

As I step into the shimmering gown, it feels like my body is receiving a thousand tiny electric shocks from everywhere it clings to me. With every step I take, it frictionlessly swishes around my bare legs, and I can't decide if I feel like a Hollywood star, a princess, an Angel or all three put together. Certainly, when I look in the mirror, I could envision myself as any of them.

Eventually, all six of us are ready, and as we descend the stairs we’re greeted by Suriya’s sister, who looks like she’s about to burst into tears at the sight of us.

“Wow, just- wow,” Priya sighs happily. “You all look SO amazing. I’m so jealous I can’t go with you this year, heh!”

“Aww, thank you!” Suriya squeaks, exchanging a gentle hug with her sister- something all six of us do before heading into the living room for yet more photos, this time from Suriya’s equally-emotional mother.

We barely have time to breathe after our second ‘photoshoot’ before a loud car horn comes from outside, signifying the arrival of our ride- and, more importantly, our dates.

“Are we all ready, girlies?” Suriya asks with a smug grin.

“Never been readier!” I reply nervously, taking a deep breath as the doorbell rings. Seconds later, the four boys (Harriet and Mia obviously being each other’s date) enter the living room, and all of their jaws drop when they see us in our fancy dresses- and I have to confess, my jaw drops slightly as well when I see Kain in his smart suit.

Kain’s usual style is, like most boys, a combination of ‘slouchy’ and ‘non-existent’. For him, ‘shorts season’ lasts from March to October (though this is partially due to his height) and his tops drawer is filled with sports shirts and very little else. This doesn’t stop him from being cute, of course, and I know better than to expect serious fashion sense from a BOY, but tonight, he isn’t just cute, he’s absolutely hot, and it’s clear that feeling is mutual.

“H- hi,” Kain stammers as he approaches me with a small bunch of flowers, which I gratefully accept. “You- you look- wow!”

“So do you,” I whisper, before exchanging a gentle kiss with the gorgeous young man. "Thank you for being an awesome boyfriend."

Sometimes I think back to how much Kain pined after me before I officially became his girlfriend, and I’m forced to wonder whether or not I only went out with him out of pity, or a desire to just have ‘any’ boyfriend, but as I walk out to our ride with my arm in his, I really do feel like the luckiest girl in the world.

“Oh my god!” Nicole exclaims as we climb aboard our ride- a giant, stretched out Hummer. The interior is unlike anything I've ever experienced before- with plush, leather seats, a self-service bar stocked with plenty of drinks (all non-alcoholic, of course), a widescreen TV showing music videos (including several by Out of Heaven, of course) and what feels like a million lights in the walls, ceiling and even the floor.

“Oh, wow!” Harriet gushes. “This is just SO amazing!”

“Our parents really went all out!” Megan squeaks as she sits down, carefully arranging her long, flowing dress around her.

“I think this calls for a group selfie!” I giggle, taking my phone out of my clutch bag (which is only barely large enough to contain it) and taking the photo while everyone poses behind me- everyone apart from Kain, of course, whose arm is tightly wrapped around my waist!

“Me next!” Suriya squeaks, taking my place and taking her own selfie. After everyone- including the boys- take turns taking selfies, we take our seats, though the atmosphere is so electric that if it wasn’t for the seatbelts, I’d probably be up and dancing around the Hummer within seconds of us setting off!

Even though the venue the school booked for the prom is only a few minutes’ drive away, the driver takes his time getting there, allowing us to get worked up almost into a frenzy by the time we pull up outside the hotel. When we step out of the Hummer, we’re greeted by several camera flashes, and even though the ‘paparazzi’ are very obviously our teachers using cameras borrowed from the school’s photography lab, our spirits remain high. However, as we approach the venue’s front doors, a group of boys step out to intercept us- and the looks on their faces tell me that they’re not a welcoming committee.

“Problem, guys?” Megan asks nonchalantly, though I can tell that she’s just as tense as I am.

“Yeah,” one of the boys- a known meathead from our year named Daniel- spits. “We ain’t letting that THING in!” I feel my blood start to boil as the knuckle dragger points his finger straight at me, but I keep my resolve- helped by the feel of Kain’s strong hand around mine.

“And are you gonna stop us?” Harriet sneers, defensively stepping in front of me before I have the chance to speak or protest.

“Yeah,” Daniel snorts, gesturing to the teachers, who have stopped taking their photographs and have moved toward the confrontation. “What are they gonna do, expel us?”

“No, but we’ll call the police if you lay even a single finger on Laura,” Mr. Allen says with a look of anger I’ve never seen before- and he is a teacher not known for having an easy-going nature.

“Ooh, I’m so scared,” Jack- one of Daniel’s gang- sneers. “She’s still going to get the shit kicked out of her.” I feel my legs start to wobble as the boys approach me, but before they get anywhere near me I feel a brush past my side as Mia moves next to her girlfriend. Slowly, but surely, all of my friends step in front of me, even the boys in our group- and especially my boyfriend, despite my attempts to cling on to his hand.

“…Fine then, we’ll just fuck all of you up,” Daniel snorts, but before he can take another step, all of the teachers present step in front of my friends, and for the first time, the smug look on Daniel’s face is wavering.

“…Then we’ll fuck you up as well,” Jack spits. “And you can’t hit back, ‘cause if you do then you’ll go to prison for hitting a child!”

“In self-defence?” Mr. Mitchell retorts. “Defending a victim from a hate crime?”

“Yeah!” Jack defiantly shouts.

“The police have been called,” Mrs. Houghton says, joining my ‘shield’. “They’ll be here shortly. I suggest that you five don’t be.” A tense moment passes between our two sides, before Daniel suddenly bolts, running off away from us (and the venue) with his goons in hot pursuit. I take a deep breath to clear my head, but as I try to take a step, I stumble in my heels and have to be caught by Kain and Megan.

“Easy, easy,” my boyfriend whispers as he takes my hand and walks me inside the building, eventually sitting me down on one of the chairs in the reception area. Seconds later, I’m handed a glass of cool water, which I eagerly sip from while taking several more deep breaths in a vain attempt to keep myself from bursting into tears.

“Laura, are you alright?” Mrs. Houghton asks softly, and this simple gesture is enough to turn on the water works.

“Five years!” I blub, prompting several pair arms to wrap me in a tight hug. “Five bloody years they’ve had to get used to the idea that I just want to- ugh!”

“Some people are too stupid, they’d need five hundred years,” Harriet spits.

“Are- do- do you want to go home?” Kain whispers, and this gesture has the exact opposite effect to Mrs. Houghton’s.

“No,” I say firmly. “Just- no. I have been looking forward to tonight for- I don’t even know how long. I have EARNED tonight. And I will NOT let those- those morons ruin it for me! If they can’t handle me being who I am, it’s their problem, not mine!” I take several deep breaths, this time to soothe my anger rather than my terror, and as I do, I hear a solitary clap. Then another clap, and another, and before I know it, all of my friends and my former teachers are giving me a round of applause that equally empowers me and embarrasses me.

“Umm… Okay?” I mumble as I feel my cheeks start to burn. “Guys, seriously…”

“And THAT is why you should’ve been head girl!” Megan giggles as she gives me another gentle hug. “Seriously. That was AWESOME, what you just said. And you’re right, no one has earned this night more than you have.”

“So let’s go and enjoy it,” Nicole says with a wide grin, and as Kain takes my hand again, I grin widely too.

“Let’s enjoy tonight,” I whisper to my gorgeous boyfriend, who smiles and nods in reply.

With happy determination on our faces and in our walk, the ten of us sweep into the hotel's ballroom and gasp in awe at the sight that greets us. The whole room is just as we'd planned- right down to the napkins on the tables All of my fellow pupils look so smart and elegant, you'd never believe that we were all teenagers. And even if I do say so myself, I might be the most beautiful girl in the room. I know at least one other person who’d agree with me.

Before we have the chance to get a drink, our group is approached by Clarke, one of my fellow prefects, who has a look of real concern etched onto his face.

“Hey Laura, hey guys,” Clarke says. “I- umm, did- did you see Danny Shaw on the way in? ‘Cause he’s been talking all night, and-“

“Yeah- OH yeah, we saw him,” I snort.

“…And?” Clarke asks. “Are- are you guys okay?”

“We’re fine,” I reply with a smile. “It’s sweet of you to ask though.”

“If there’s any justice, Danny and his cavemen will be getting a lift home in the back of a police car!” Mia giggles.

“In- oh my god, did- did he do anything to yous?” Clarke asks.

“He tried,” I say firmly. “He failed. Because he was outnumbered.”

“Just like brain cells, there are more of us than there are of him, hehe!” Suriya says.

“Well- good,” Clarke chuckles. “Nice when the good guy wins for a change- sorry, sorry, I mean good GIRL, obviously.”

“You were closer the first time,” I say. “The good GUYS won.”

“Too right they did!” Clarke chuckles. “Well- you good guys have fun, okay?”

“Oh believe me,” I say as I link my fingers with my boyfriend, “I’m going to.”

And I did. I ate, I drank, I danced with my boyfriend until my feet hurt, but the smile never left my face as I realised that my five years at school may have had their ups and downs, but it was worth it to be able to say 'I am Laura, I am a girl and that's all there is to it'.

Eventually, the party starts to die down, and after what seems like hours of dancing, I breathe a sigh of relief as I sit down next to my boyfriend, who looks as bushed as I feel. I smile as I link my fingers with Kain’s, even though I know that our night isn’t quite over yet. The incident with Daniel Shaw had one positive- it made me forget all about ‘you know what’, but now that my adrenaline is running out and I can think more clearly, it’s virtually all I can think about, especially as Kain is fidgeting in his chair- and it doesn’t take a genius to figure out why.

“Hey,” I whisper.

“Hey,” Kain replies. “You- did you have fun tonight? I mean, apart from the whole Danny Shaw thing…”

“I did,” I say. “I really did. Even if it feels like this is the first time I’ve sat down since 7am, heh.”

“Same here,” Kain sighs. “My- my brother will be here in about 15 minutes. You know, to, umm, pick us up and take us home…”

“Okay,” I say as my heart starts to beat faster. “Did- did you have fun?”

“I did, yeah,” Kain chuckles. “Even though I’m not, you know, into the whole ‘dressing up smart’ thing.”

“I dunno,” I tease. “You did a pretty good job of it today, heh. Even if it is obvious you didn’t start getting ready at 7am.”

“…Did you REALLY start getting ready at 7am?” Kain asks.

“And that was barely enough time,” I giggle. “I wanted myself to look absolutely FLAWLESS.”

“Cool,” Kain chuckles as his cheeks start to redden- he obviously assumed, not entirely wrongly, that he was the reason I took so much care with my look. Before I have the chance to teasingly correct him, Kain’s phone bleeps to let him know a new text has arrived- the one we were both expecting.

“That’s Dave,” Kain says. “Do- do you want to say goodbye to everyone first?”

“Sure,” I say, though in truth, I am, as always, in two minds about the situation.

There’s a large part of me that wants to go back to Kain’s house right now and make love to him, to cap off today with the perfect ending I’ve been imagining for so long. But there’s also a part of me that’s anxious, that wants to delay the inevitable as long as possible- but I also know that it IS inevitable. If I refuse to be ‘physical’ forever than Kain will ultimately get frustrated with me and dump me- and after what happened today, the way he stood up for me, that’s something I simply can’t allow to happen.

But then again, once I ‘do’ it, I can’t ‘undo’ it…

As we head out to Kain’s brother’s car, I mentally chastise myself for repeating the same mental argument for what must be the millionth time. Ultimately, I know what I’m going to decide to do- and there’s no time like the present.

“Hi you two,” David says as Kain and I slide onto the back seat of his car, an action that makes him roll his eyes. “So I’m your chauffeur tonight then, am I?”

“Yep,” Kain replies. “Now drive!”

“I’ll drive you to the nearest tube station if you mouth off like that again,” David snorts. “You two have fun tonight?”

“Loads of fun, thanks,” I reply. “Well, apart from a couple of knuckle draggers deciding to start a scene, anyway…”

“What, ‘cause of your- well, you know?” David asks, frowning as I nod. “Hope you stuck up for her, Kain.”

“He was my knight in shining- well, ironed armour, hehe!” I giggle as I wrap my arms around my boyfriend’s waist.

“Glad to hear it,” David says with a proud chuckle. “Mum and dad have gone to a pub quiz tonight so they won’t be home until late, and I’m going to head to Beth’s after dropping you off. Will you two be alright by yourselves?” I take a deep breath before answering- this is THE big question after all.

“…Yes,” I say confidently, smiling as I feel Kain’s heart start to beat faster. “We’ll be alright.”

A short while later, we arrive back at Kain’s home, and after bidding his brother farewell, we head to the living room where we sit down on the sofa hand-in-hand. An awkward silence fills the room briefly, before I take a deep breath to speak.

“Okay, then,” I say with a nervous chuckle.

“Okay,” Kain says, breathing so heavily he’s virtually panting. “Do- do you want- umm, I mean-"

“Let’s-“ I say before sighing. “Kain, we both know what’s supposed to happen next, right? Even if it is a TOTAL cliché?”

“We- we don’t have to if you don’t want-“ Kain stammers.

“No, no I do want to,” I say. “It’s just- I don’t to HAVE to, if you know what I mean. I want to do it when we’re both ready.”

“…We’ve kinda had this conversation a lot,” Kain reminds me. “And you know I’ll, like, wait if you want me too.”

“And if I don’t want to ‘wait’ anymore?” I ask.

“That’s also okay,” Kain says. “I- I kinda want it to be special, you know-“ Kain grunts in surprise as I lean forward and give him a long, deep kiss on his lips.

“It will be,” I say with a warm but eager smile.

The following morning, I wake up in my bed and try to blink the tiredness out of my eyes as I recall the events of the previous night. However, the tingling in some of my most sensitive areas is all I need to remember that last night, I finally made the decision I'd put off for so long. Kain and I were finally physical, and as cliché as it sounds- even more so than losing my virginity on prom night- I genuinely feel different for having done it. It's like I woke up yesterday as a girl, but I woke up today as a woman. Consciously, I know that I'm no different today than I was yesterday, but unconsciously, I feel stronger, more confident- and certainly more relaxed now that I don't have to worry about this decision anymore.

"Morning," Ricky says in a dark voice as I enter the kitchen and pour myself a mug of coffee. "Good night last night?"

"I enjoyed it," I shrug with a cocky grin on my face. "What are you doing round so early?"

"Early?" Ricky snorts. "It's 10:45am! It's practically evening!"

"Meh, if you say so," I shrug. "Where's everyone else?"

"Mum and Sean are at work, Lily's round at her friend's, I think," Ricky replies.

"Aww, so you're here to see me? How sweet!" I tease, giggling as Ricky snorts and rolls his eyes at me. Growing up, he'd mercilessly tease me in much the same way, but in recent years I've been able to give just as good as I've got- another sign that I'm not the child I used to be.

"I wanted to see if you're alright," Ricky says with a scowl. "To see if- well, you needed anything."

"What I need," I say firmly, "is for people to butt out of my sex life. What happens between me and Kain is our business- no one else's. All you need to know is that I'm alright, and I'm happy. Okay?"

"Yes, yes, okay," Ricky scoffs. "So sue me for trying to be a great big brother and looking out for you."

"Your concern is nice but not needed," I say.

"Fair enough," Ricky says. "What time'd you get home last night?"

"Ugh, late, can't remember what time," I reply. "Mum, Sean and Lily were all already in bed, Kain's mum gave me a lift home when she got home from the pub."

"...Fair enough," Ricky sighs. "I can see when I'm getting nowhere. So what you got planned today then? Meeting up with Kain, I take it?"

"That's the plan," I reply with a smile.

And sure enough, an hour and a half later, I sit down opposite my boyfriend in a local coffee shop (not the one I work at, but somewhere we can get some privacy). From the look on his face, it's very clear that he's just as happy about last night as I am.

"...So, then," I say with a smirk.

"So, umm, yeah!" Kain chuckles, and much to my surprise, despite last night he's just as nervous and bashful around me as he's always been.

"I- I enjoyed last night," I whisper. "If- if you ever, you know, want to do it again?"

"Yeah," Kain chuckles, before grimacing. "I- I didn't mean it like that, I just- I dunno."

"You seemed pretty 'sure' last night," I say. "But it's okay. And... Thanks."

"For what?" Kain asks.

"For not being weirded out by me being, well, 'me'," I reply.

"That's never bothered me, you know that," Kain says.

"I know," I reply. "But when it came down to, well, 'it', I thought- well, part of me worried that you would- ugh, I dunno."

"Never gonna happen," Kain says, reaching across the table and gently- albeit awkwardly- squeezing my hand. "I- I l- I, umm, really like you, Laura."

"I really like you too," I reply, giggling as I lean over the table to give my boyfriend a gentle kiss.

I know what Kain was trying to say, but it's okay that he couldn't quite say it this time. I'm not sure I'd have been able to say it back to him, but what I did say was most definitely true- I really do like him, and even if we do split up, he'll always have a special place in my life as my first 'physical' boyfriend.

My life is changing, and just like five years ago, it's changing for the better. School is finished, behind me, a part of my past. My transformation from a boy to a girl is finally complete. Now it's time for my transformation from a girl to a woman to begin- and it's begun in the best way possible.

However, I have my whole life ahead of me for that. For now, I can sit back, relax and enjoy living my life. I have a nice, long summer holiday before I start drama college in September. I have friends and family who care about me- more friends and family that I imagined, in fact. And I have a boyfriend who has both said and 'demonstrated' that he really, really likes me. Sure, I'm growing up, but I'm not in any rush to- not when my life is as great as it is!

up
71 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

More Laura!

Our little girl just won't stop growing up. :-) This was a really, really tough chapter to write, trying to be sensitive without being explicit (the kids are only sixteen, after all) and I was ill quite a bit during writing. Chapter 22 will be different, though, kicking off the start of a new part of Laura's life. :-)

A list of upcoming chapters can, as always, be found here. :-)

Debs xxxx

She's growing up so quickly...

Gosh, your stories are pretty amazing in general, but Laura's story is honestly so amazing, just the right amount of drama (by now), and you put so much love into her story... It always brightens my day when a new chapter on this story shows up and I can read about her growing up a bit more, it's quite a shame I gotta wait such a long time for the next one, but I know it'll be worth it!

Carry on the amazing work!

Hugs,
Filas

Main topic of conversation

Jamie Lee's picture

Why the rush to lose their virginity? Where did the idea come from that part of Prom night was losing one's virginity? Why do the girls seem to have one topic when they get together? Or feel it's a rite of passage to have sex when they turn 16?

Laura's mom was hoping she would hold off having sex with Kine because of all the hurt they experienced. This same thing applies to the other girls because no one has considered that they could be dumped once their boyfriends got what they wanted, except Mia and her girlfriend.

Both Kine and Laura wanted to be intimate but both weren't sure they were ready. Neither wanted to have sex just to have sex and be part of the crowd. Both wanted it to be special, wanted it to mean something to them, and it was.

Laura has a wonderful boyfriend with Kine. Unlike some others may do, he never pressured Laura to have sex with him. His brother was proved wrong because Laura had no intention of dumping Kine if they didn't have sex. She like him for who he is, not for what she can get from him.

He, and the others, proved their concern for Laura when they stood between the moron Shaw and her. To bad the group didn't wipe the sidewalk with those morons, but their clothes would be a mess. Why did Shaw care who went to the Prom if they weren't going themselves? They weren't involved in its planning or any other aspect, so what was it to them? And where was hotel security, given the event was held at the hotel?

The ending of this story would make a perfect place to end this story, it felt like an ending. But now that Laura will be more out into the real world it will be interesting to see what other issues she faces. And how long she and Kine stay together, because they are good together.

Others have feelings too.