Interview with a Lolita -chp3

Printer-friendly version

Interview with a Lolita

Debra Wallen had expected her day to be filled with the usual drudgery of an Interns life for Fashion Blitz magazine. She never expected to be interviewing one of the world’s newest and biggest fashion designers this day. Not only was the woman a force to be reckoned with but a true mystery as well. Debra would be the first person to ever had a one on one interview with Ren Nagata. This was Debra’s big chance and she really wanted to impress her boss by coming back with an interview worthy of her trust. Little could Debra see how this one interview would affect her life or how it would influence her career.


Chapter 3
Cincinnati Ohio, present day.

Debra couldn’t believe what she had heard over the past hour. It had to be a prank. There was no way that Ren Nagata was ever a boy. Yet she could tell by the way Alexie and his assistances were acting it was the truth. What Debra couldn’t figure out was why Ren had such a hatred for her boss. She would get her chance to ask when Alexie spun her around to face the mirror.

“Well, Ren, what do you think of your newest project so far?” Alexie demanded.

Ren took one look at the teen’s new makeup and hair color. “I think she would look much better with a French twist. Don’t you Alexie?”

Alexie stepped back and scratched his chin. “You’re right. It will give her just the right amount of sophistication.”

Seeing her chance Debra asked the question that was on her mind. “Miss Nagata, I know that you have probably been asked this before. Why do you have such animosity towards Mrs. Celso?”

Ren chuckled and smiled at the girl’s bravery. All while thinking ‘I need to keep an eye on this one. She will go far.’ “The answer to that question is not an easy one to explain without giving you a good deal more background. I will tell you that it has a lot to do with my senpai and how your boss set out to ruin their name. All over a stupid disagreement about teenage fashion trends.” At the look of disbelief on Debra’s face Ren chuckled. “You heard me correctly Debra. Your boss set out to ruin a person’s career over an argument about fashion. You may not have heard this, but she can be very petty.”

Debra didn’t say anything because she had heard that about Mrs. Celso. In fact, she had heard of her targeting those she felt deserved it. That she would do so over something so petty didn’t jive with Debra’s view of the world. Debra was still naive enough to believe that reporters and editors are supposed to be unbiased. Ren just sighed as she saw the look of disappointment in the teen’s eyes over her hero and boss.

“Debra, allow me to give you some advice.” Ren waited for Debra to nod her head. “First off, if you remain a reporter never let your personal feelings interfere with writing a story. Stick to the facts and respect the person you are interviewing. Remember there are going to be times that your interviewee will be at one of their lowest points in life. The second piece of advice I’ll give you is to keep politics out of your reporting. No matter your personal politics leave them at the door. Let your role models be the greats, such as Frances Lewine, Eldora Marie Bolyard Nuzum, Patricia Raybon. These women were all trail blazers in your chosen profession.”

“Wow. I never really thought about what you just said, Miss Nagata. Um… may I know where you came by this advice?” Debra asked timidly.

Ren chuckled. “It was no grand revelation Debra. In many ways my views towards the press has been influenced by my father’s view point and those of the troops he served with in the Army. As you can guess, most military personnel have a very low opinion of the press. The main reason behind this is because all too often reporters ignore those two pieces of advice.”

“I see.” Debra really did see what Ren was talking about. “I promise to always keep your advice close to mind Miss Nagata.”

“I’m sure that you will Debra. I see you going a long way as a reporter. Not as a fashion reporter though. I saw the fire in your eyes when I mentioned Frances Lewine. Not that I blame you, she was an Associated Press White House correspondent; not to mention being president of the Women's National Press Club. She was a true trailblazer for women in the world of reporters.”

Alexie turned Debra around to face the mirror for the first time before she had a chance to ask her next question of Ren. “Presto, the caterpillar climbs out of her cocoon as a beautiful butterfly. Now we just need to dry her wings and spread them for the world to see.”

Debra couldn’t believe the girl in the mirror was her. Gone was the plain, flat light mousy brown hair and pale skin of just a short half-hour ago. In their place was a stunningly deep rich brunette with purple highlights. Debra’s normal understated makeup had been washed away and replaced with a more dramatic look. Her eyes were now accented by ‘bedroom eyes’. Her small lips were made to look fuller and darker with the use of a deep red lipstick and liner. The foundation was a light ivory that brought out her cheek bones thanks to the light rose colored rouge.

In an awe filled voice that was barely above a whisper Debra slowly raised her hand to her face. “Is that really me?”

“Yes, dear. That really is you.” Ren chuckled beside her. “Just wait until Alexie and his assistants finish. I can guarantee that even you won’t recognize yourself.” Ren smiled as she saw a light in Debra’s eyes. “Let me guess. This is the first time that you have stepped away from your grandmother’s influence on your style.”

“Yes, ma’am, Miss Nagata. To be honest this is the first time that I’ve ever really changed how I look.” Debra answered truthfully. “Um… I don’t want to sound inconsiderate but how much do I owe?”

Alexie gasped while Ren just chuckled. “Young lady this is on my dime and time. There is no way that a mere Intern could afford my services. No, no. You are to be one of my greatest challenges. It is I who should be paying you young lady.” Alexie huffed and turned Debra over to Stephany, Tabitha the clothing style specialists. “Now you go with these lovely girls while Ren continues with her story.”

With a gentle push from Alexie, a soft tug for the girls, Debra found herself in the backroom changing area with Stephany and Tabitha. Ren just smiled and chuckled as she followed the trio into the backroom. Pulling up a stool Ren took a seat to watch Stephany and Tabitha work. “Where were we? Oh yes. I had just met my aunt Yoshi and was getting ready to leave the US.”

“Miss Nagata, how where you first accepted in Japan? I’ve heard from my oldest cousin in Yokohama that outsiders aren’t typically welcomed with open arms. With you being a Japanese American didn’t you face even more opposition?”

“Oh, I did run into that attitude at first. But I had one advantage over most visitors and immigrants to Japan. I spoke Japanese without an accent.” Ren just smirked at Debra’s facepalm moment. “Don’t worry, Debra. You’re not the first person to forget about my less than conventional upbringing. After all most American children don’t grow up speaking two or more languages. Nor are they exposed to more than one country’s culture.”

“So, your mother taught you more than just her native language but the customs as well?” Debra asked.

“Mother went out of her way to teach me about her family’s customs and culture. She knew that there was always the chance that my father could be reassigned to Okinawa at any time. She didn’t want me to be handicapped the way that a lot of other Army BRATS were by not knowing those things.” Ren let the joy at the memory of her mother fill her face. “It was my mother’s teachings that led me to my Senpai.”

“Miss Nagata, could you please explain that term for me?” Debra asked as she grunted from the corset that Tiffany had wrapped around her torso was tightened for the first time. “Do I really need a corset?” she complained.

“As the old saying goes. We must suffer for our beauty, Debra.” Ren chuckled then went on to continue her story. With the tape recorder in her hand Ren pushed the record button. Once more letting her mind drift back to her earlier years in her aunt’s care.

Okinawa, Japan, Sunday 3rd, 2004

Raymond and Yoshi landed shortly after nine in the morning at Naha Airport. Better known as Naha International Airport. The past week had taken its emotional toll on Raymond. Between the funeral for his parents, then the cremation, and finally the move to Japan. It had taken all of young Raymond’s hard-earned self-control just make it through the long flight from Cincinnati. His one solace was the three photo albums in his suitcases. Yoshi had found Raymond going through the albums one night back in their hotel room. It was the one with all the pictures of his mom, dad, and aunt Yoshi. Yoshi told the stories behind each picture.

It wasn’t long before Raymond was laughing at some of the stories behind those pictures. It was one of the few times over the past few months that Raymond truly laughed. Yoshi knew that the first few days in Okinawa would be stressful for the young man. First there would be the wake for his parents. It is normally held as soon as possible after death, a Japanese wake is called tsuya, “passing the night”. All the funeral guests would be in black. Men would be wearing black suits with white shirts and black ties, and women wear either black dresses or black kimonos. It would be held at Yoshi’s parents’ home in Okinawa.

Yoshi’s mother had already purchased a new suit for Raymond. Not to mention a new kimono for Yoshi. Raymond’s father was well respected among Yoshi’s family. Yoshi had contacted Steve’s sister before arranging for Steve to be interned in the Nagata family grave. A typical Japanese grave is usually a family grave, or haka, consisting of a stone monument, with a place for flowers, incense, and water in front of the monument and a chamber or crypt underneath for the ashes.

The funeral proper, called kokubetsu-shiki, would take place the day after the wake. It would be similar to what happens at the wake, yet the two ceremonies differ slightly as the deceased receives a new Buddhist name kaimyō; “precept name” written in Kanji. This name is said to prevent the return of the deceased if their name is called. The length of the name depends also on either the virtue of the person’s lifespan. The kanji for these kaimyō are usually very ancient, and sometimes with esoteric meanings. For Raymond this was already taken care of by his grandparents.

The cremation had been taken care of by the US authorities. This was normally the third step of the grieving process. Yoshie knew that Raymond wouldn’t have been able to handle the relatives picking the bones out of the ashes and transferring them to the urn using large chopsticks or metal picks. Known as kotsuage, this is the only time in Japan when it is proper for two people to hold the same item at the same time with chopsticks. At all other times, holding anything with chopsticks by two people at the same time, or passing an item from chopsticks to chopsticks, is considered to be a major social faux pas as this will remind bystanders of the funeral of a close relative. The bones of the feet are picked up first, and the bones of the head are picked up last. This is to ensure that the deceased is not upside down in the urn. The hyoid bone, which is located in the neck, is the most significant bone to be placed in the urn.

Another part of the burial taken care of by Yoshi’s parents and Raymond’s grandparents was the grave. The date of the erection of the grave and the name of the person who purchased it may be engraved on the side of the monument. The names of the deceased are often but not always engraved on the front of the monument. When a married person dies before his or her spouse, the name of the spouse may also be engraved on the stone, with the letters painted red. After the death and the burial of the spouse, the red ink is removed from the stone. The names of the deceased may also be engraved on the left side, or on a separate stone in front of the grave. Often, the name is also written on a sotoba, a separate wooden board on a stand behind or next to the grave. These sotoba may be erected shortly after death, and new ones may be added at certain memorial services.

Memorial services depend on local customs. Usually, there are a number of memorial services following the death - for example, daily for the first seven days, or a number of services within the first 49 days, or on the 7th, 49th and 100th day, depending on the local custom. Most commonly observed are the Buddhist service on the seventh day after death, shonanoka, and the 49th day, shijūkunichi. In many traditions, the urn containing the ashes is interred in a ceremony called nōkotsu on the 49th day, and the family stays in mourning until this day.

After that, there is a memorial service on the Obon festival in honor of the dead. The festival may be held in the 1st year, sometimes in the 3rd and 5th, 7th and 13th years, and a number of times afterwards up to either the 39th or the 50th year. One popular sequence follows the days of the Thirteen Buddhas.

A picture of the deceased is also placed at or near the family altar in the household. Also, in the first year after death, no traditional New Year's Day Postcard is sent or received. The friends and relatives have to be informed of this beforehand so as not to send a card.

Yoshi was surprised by Raymond’s desire to understand everything that went into his parents’ funeral, and the morning process that was involved. Raymond had been filled with questions on the customs concerning the dead in Japan. Yoshi had, had more than one late night talk with her mother and father on how to approach the topic. They were a little worried over the way that Americans cremated the bodies. The main difference was that the bones of the deceased were ground down unlike in Japan where they were left whole and placed in the urn. They understood that they had to abide by the different laws concerning the handling of the dead.

Raymond saw it as just another step on the long road of his new life. Raymond knew that he had a long way to go, and Rain would have to stay hidden until he was able to go out on his own. The only problems they had was at Customs when entering Japan. The Agent there gave Raymond more than a little grief over his paperwork. The man didn’t want to believe that he was there on a long-term visa.

“How did you get this visa young man?” the man demanded.

“My parents died, and I have been sent to live with my mother’s family, sir.” Raymond sighed. Fighting to keep his temper.

“Where will you be staying while in Japan?”

Raymond was really starting to hate the other half of his heritage by this point. He had been kicked around from pillar to post for the past two months. The boy was getting to the point of not caring who he pissed off anymore. “I’ll be staying with my aunt in Tokyo after my parents’ funeral, sir.”

“Why aren’t you staying with your father’s family?” the man demanded before asking. “You have some kind criminal record?”

That was the last straw and Raymond snapped. “Look you overpaid jackass. The only family I have left is my mother’s. My paperwork is in order. All you need to do is stamp it and tell me to have a nice day.”

The Agent smiled and then waved for two guards. “Detain this boy. He is trying to enter the country on a false visa and passport.”

Raymond was about to blow his top again when Yoshi stepped up to the counter. Yoshi asked the two guards in a polite and respectful tone “Excuse me, gentlemen. May I know why you are detaining my nephew?”

“Did you say this young man is your nephew, ma’am?” One guard asked her.

“Yes, I did officer. I am also his legal guardian.” Yoshi pointed to Raymond’s paperwork in the Custom Agent’s hand. “It’s all there in his paperwork with his visa and passport. The Agent just has to read it.”

“This paperwork is forged.” The agent huffed. “Take them both away guards. While I contact Immigration to have them deported.”

Yoshi reached into her purse and removed her id along with her passport. She smiled as she handed them over to the guards. “I believe that you will find all of my documentation is in order gentlemen. As for my nephew’s paperwork being forged that is nothing more than this man’s bigotry showing through. Check for your selves.”

The second guard grabbed Raymond’s paperwork out of the agent’s hand and began reading. It didn’t take him long to see that Raymond and Yoshi were telling the truth. Reaching up to his radio he called for the Agent’s supervisor. The agent’s supervisor showed up took one look at Raymond’s paperwork and stamped his passport then visa. Handing them back the man wished Yoshi and Raymond a good day. As they walked away with their luggage Raymond heard the supervisor ordering the agent off the customs line and to report to his office. Raymond guessed that the agent was about to get his ass chewed out for his attitude. This was confirmed by his aunt giggling like a schoolgirl beside him.

“Pompous ass. One of these days the hardliners will learn that the world is changing, and they must change with the times.” Yoshi chuckled.

“Um… aunt Yoshi, what was that all about? I mean the way that Custom Agent was acting it was like he wasn’t going to let me enter the country.”

Yoshi sighed. “Raymond, I know that this is going to be hard for you to understand, but there are a good many Japanese that still wish for the days of isolationism. They believe that Japan does not need the outside world to survive.”

“Let me guess. My being here is a reminder that they can’t. They would happily show me the way to the plane to take me back to the US. If not outright buy me the ticket for the flight.” Raymond sighed. “Aunt Yoshi, it’s still not too late to send me back to the US and a foster home.”

“You are my nephew Raymond. That will not be happening. Besides, your grandparents would disown me, then have me stoned in the town square for abandoning you.” Yoshi leaned over and kissed Raymond on the cheek. “Besides, I have come to like the cute young man that is my nephew.”

Raymond just blushed at being called cute by Yoshi. Something that she spotted early on in their relationship. ‘He still blushes at being called cute. If I didn’t know better, I would swear that he enjoys it. I wonder?’

As they exited the airport Yoshi turned her thoughts to the matter at hand. They still had a long way to go before reaching her parents home. Her original plan of flying into Tokyo first had been overridden by her mother and father. It had taken some work, but she had gotten a direct flight into Naha from Cincinnati via Tokyo. Now she had to get them a car. The next hour and half was going to be a pain in the ass. Yoshi was thinking about the fastest rout to her parents’ home when Raymond handed her a map with the rout highlighted.

“Just grab the fifty-eight north. It runs close to the shore and we’ll miss the traffic for the main gate at Kadena Air Force base.” Raymond just smiled at the look on Yoshi’s face. “What can I say? Mom sucked at giving directions. So, dad taught me how to read a map before he taught me to read the alphabet.”

It took Yoshi’s brain a few seconds to catch up with what Raymond what saying. When it finally did she burst out laughing. “Your mother was an extremely intelligent woman Raymond, but you’re right. She would get lost in her own kitchen.”

“Why do you think I learned to cook? I would have starved before my eighth birthday. Man cannot live by takeout pizza alone. Despite what the guys in the barracks said.” Raymond joked. “Then again dad was no Wolfgang Puck either. He could barely boil water for coffee and Top Ramen Noodles. His idea of a proper meal was an MRE with the packaging opened for you. Oh, and a full canteen of cold water.”

The more Raymond joked about his parents the more Yoshi laughed. It was good to see that the young man was starting to come out of his shell around her. Yoshi, knew that he was hiding something but didn’t want to push Raymond to find out what. She had a good idea of what he was trying to hide by his mannerisms at times. They were just a little too girly for him to not be either gay or a shisutaabooi. Then there were the times when he would show a very masculine streak. The two sides of her nephew were constantly keeping Yoshi on her toes. Though she could see that, the masculine side was, more often than not, forced.

It didn’t take them long to rent a car and find it in the parking lot. Yoshi was happy that she had taken care to get her drivers license a few years ago. The cost of a taxi from the airport to her parents’ home would have been astronomical. Not that she couldn’t afford it, but she would need the car for their time on Okinawa. As they drove along the western coast of the island Raymond looked out the window at the ocean. This was one of his few times seeing the actual ocean. All of his family vacations with his parents had been to places like Orlando, or the Grand Canyon. They had never gone to one of those oceanside resorts. Mainly because his father flat out hated those places.

“Aunt Yoshi, before we head back to Tokyo, can we spend the day at the beach?” Raymond asked quietly as he stared out the window at the ocean.

The request surprised Yoshi. “Sure, Raymond. We can do that. Your mother always like the ocean. I’m a little surprised that you’ve never been to the ocean though.”

“Oh, I’ve been to the ocean, aunt Yoshi. It’s just that most of the beaches in the States are so over commercialized that dad hated the places. I think the only beach we ever went to was Flagler beach in Key West. That was a few years ago when he was TDY to NAS Bocachica for two months.” Raymond sighed as he thought about that time. “It was during the summer. Never did find out what he was doing there. Then again dad kept a lot of what he did to himself.”

The note of sadness in Raymond’s voice grabbed at Yoshi’s heart. “I guess I’ll never know what all he did now. He used to always say that he would tell me one day when I asked him. He always said it had something to do with protecting assets still in the field or undercover.”

“That sounds like your father, Raymond. He was always a man of honor. One who knew and understood the cost of duty.” Yoshi wanted to hug Raymond just then but couldn’t because she driving. “I don’t know if you have ever heard this saying. Honor is light as a feather, but duty is heavy as a mountain.”

Raymond chuckled then sighed. “I’ve heard it before aunt Yoshi. It was one of dad’s favorites. He would always drop something like that on his troops before they went on patrol. He had this massive book of sayings like that on his office desk. I packed it away with the other books from home. I used to grab one or two of them and just read for days in my room.”

“When the boxes and other whole baggage arrive, we’ll go through all of it together Raymond. We’ll put all of your parents’ books in your room.” Yoshi knew that Raymond had been missing something other than his parents. Something in that whole baggage. “Is there anything else in the boxes you want to keep at the house?”

Raymond wanted to say. ‘Yes, I want to get my footlocker with all of Rain’s clothes’ but was pretty sure that Yoshi would freak out hearing that. Instead he just shook his head no saying. “I’ll let you know when everything gets here.”

“Well, only the boxes and footlockers will be coming to the house. The furniture, household goods, and your father’s workshop tools, will be going directly into storage. I know that sounds a little cold, but I just don’t have the room at my home for everything.” Yoshi gave Raymond a sideways smile. “My apartment has only two bedrooms, one bathroom, kitchenet dining area, and a small living area.”

“I know that this is going to sound a little presumptuous of me, aunt Yoshi. But isn’t that awfully small. I mean shouldn’t you have something bigger? From what you told me, you own like eight what I assume are high-end clothing stores.” Raymond scratched the back of his head. “Would have thought that you owned a regular house. Not an apartment like you were saying.”

At first Yoshi was angered by the boy’s attitude until he explained his reasoning. When she heard his reasoning, Yoshi chuckled. “Raymond a small apartment like mine is normal in Tokyo. Space is at a premium after all in Tokyo. A place where they build up and not out. Why they even went so far as to engineer additional space by creating islands. Examples are the 115-acre theme park at the Tokyo Disney Resort in Urayasu, Chiba Prefecture. One of the first is Odaiba. A large artificial island in Tokyo Bay, Japan, across the Rainbow Bridge from central Tokyo. It was initially built for defensive purposes in the 1850s, dramatically expanded during the late 20th century as a seaport district and has developed since the 1990s as a major commercial, residential and leisure area.” There was a note of pride in Yoshi’s voice as she talked about her home. Now, Raymond’s home.

“Wow, aunt Yoshi, you really know your history. Did you want to be a teacher or something like that in school?” Asked Raymond with wonder.

“Nope. I just really like history. I couldn’t be a teacher if I tried.” Yoshi giggled. “I kind of lack the patience to teach.”

“So, what did you want to be in school?” Raymond asked.

“Would you believe that I actually have my dream job?” At Raymond’s disbelieving look Yoshi chuckled. “Okay, I guess I should tell you the truth. After all you’ll be seeing me in all my glory the first day back to work. You know that picture in the back of that one album. The one of your mom, and me.”

“Yeah. The one titled ‘Nagata Lolita Sisters’ or something like that?” Raymond asked politely. Trying to downplay his interest in the picture. Not that Yoshi was fooled, not one bit.

“You know exactly what that title is Raymond. You’ve sat and stared at that picture for at least an hour every day.” Yoshi chuckled at the blush that came over Raymond’s cheeks. “As you know my stores cater to a select clientele. Namely Lolitas.”

“Let me guess. You’re a Lolita yourself, right?” The smirk on Raymond’s face was all Yoshi needed to see to know that he was kidding. The only problem was Yoshi wasn’t kidding and she was about to drop a bomb on her nephew.

“More like I’m still a Lolita and one of the WEALTHIEST in all of Tokyo. Not mention one the top models for the number one Lolita designer, Takashi Shimizu.” They pulled to a stop at a traffic light and Yoshi looked over at Raymond. “Raymond, can I ask you a very personal question?”

“Sure, aunt Yoshi. Whatever you want to know.”

“I noticed that you hide your ponytail on the inside of your shirts. Just how long is your hair?” This fact was important to Yoshi’s plan.

To answer his aunt’s question Raymond pulled his ponytail out of his shirt. Raymond let it fall over his shoulder and into his lap. “When I stand up it falls just above my hips in a low ponytail.”

“You know, your mother had a ponytail that wasn’t longer than that at your age. If I remember right it just reached the top swell of her butt.” The light turned green and Yoshi pulled out. “Mom is going to go nuts when she sees that hair.”

“Grandmother is not going to make me get it cut. Is she?” Raymond was more than a little worried over having to cut his hair.

“I doubt it Raymond. Your long hair makes you look so much like your mother that your grandmother may ask you to grow it longer.” At Raymond’s stunned look Yoshi smiled as she entered the highway. “Did you know that you look a great deal like your mother at that age?”

“Um… no. I’ve never seen any pictures of mom when she was younger.” There was a wistful note in Raymond’s voice. It had gone soft and velvety. The tone alone had Yoshi fighting to keep her eyes on the road. The quality though was almost more than she could keep up with. It was as if a ghost had sat down in the seat next her. The ghost of her fifteen-year-old sister Mishi.

“Raymond, please take your hair out of the ponytail?” Yoshi asked him just as quietly. She didn’t want to let the moment go by being to load.

Raymond didn’t see the harm in his aunt’s request and did so. “Is this what you wanted Aunt Yoshi?” He asked as he shook his hair out.

The simple back and forth flipping of his long hair had allowed it to spill over both shoulders and down his back. Yoshi took her eyes off the road for a few seconds to really look at him. What she saw made her gasp for breath. Snapping her eyes back to the road Yoshi looked for a spot to pull over. The rest stop a half mile down the road was her new destination. Not for the first time Yoshi saw the uncanny resemblance to her dead sister in her nephew. Only this time it was closer to a ghost sitting next to her that drove Yoshi’s decision to stop and settle her nerves.

“Are you alright aunt Yoshi?” Raymond asked in worry as his aunt practically dove into the rest stop. He could see the tears forming in her eyes as she pulled to a stop breathing hard. Yoshi was close to a full-blown breakdown. She lost it when Raymond pulled her into a hug whispering in her ear. “Let it out aunt Yoshi.”

For the past week and half Yoshi had fought to remain composed and in control for her nephew. The loss of her older sister and brother-in-law had hit the young woman harder than she wanted to let on. It had been Mishi who had pushed Yoshi to step out on her own and explore her options as a young woman. It had been Steve who had staked her the startup capital for her first shop. Unlike her parents, it was Raymond’s parents who had supported Yoshi’s desire to become the business woman that she was this day. It had been their idea to seek out a mentor in the fashion industry. It had been Mishi’s contacts and Steve’s influence with the military that brought Takashi into the young woman’s life. Raymond sat there holding his aunt as she cried for her lost sister and brother-in-law for the first time in his presence.

A half hour later, Yoshi sat back, smiled at Raymond and wiped her eyes. “Thankyou, Ren. I needed that in more ways than I thought.”

“Um… aunt Yoshi, who is Ren?” Raymond asked quietly. He knew that it was someone special to his aunt. He had a feeling that it was an old lover. He was proven right.

“I’m sorry, Raymond. I didn’t mean to call you by that name.” Yoshi sighed as she looked out the window. “Ren was my roommate and first love in college.”

“What happened to her?”

“She was disowned by her family when they found out that she was in love with me. Ren took her life a few days later.” Yoshi fought to keep the pain out of her voice over that injustice, she failed miserably. “Your mother held me the same way that you just did, when I found out.”

“What does the name Ren mean?”

“Depending on the kanji either lotus or love. Ren is a unisex name in Japanese. Why are you asking Raymond?” Yoshi had an idea but didn’t want to push.

“Well, I think that it would be easier for me to fit in here, if I had a name that was a little more traditional for Japan. I know that Raymond will standout like a sore thumb. I kind of like the sound of Ren.” Raymond was hoping his aunt would go for the idea for two reasons. The first he had stated openly. The second was it would give him a more feminine soundly name for Japan.

Yoshi smiled and hugged Raymond once more. Then pulling back she kissed her nephew on the forehead. “I like the sounds of that Ren.”

What Yoshi didn’t say just then was that she had been thinking about Raymond’s name from the time they first met. How it would be so much easier to introduce him to people if he had a less masculine name. Especially in her line of work. The only thing that would make it easier on her was if Raymond was a girl. She knew that with his delicate and feminine features he would have problems fitting in as a boy. She didn’t want to tell him that he looked so much like a girl.

“Thank you, aunt Yoshi. I like the sounds of the new name myself. Ren Rockwell.” A frown crossed Ren’s young face followed by a small smile. “No, that is not quite right. Ren Mishi Nagata sounds better and more natural.”

Yoshi didn’t want to tell hm that both of those names while unisex were normally only given to girls. Basically, due to their less than masculine connotations. After all Ren means lotus and love, while Mishi means strong, and graceful. Not something most boys would like to be called. The problem would be how to introduce Ren to her parents. With his, no her long hair and pretty face she could decently be one of her greatest models. She knew that Ren’s looks would draw in her mother. While at the same time put off her father.

“Ren, for now let’s keep your new name between us. At least until after the burial for your parents is over.” Yoshi was trying her best to not destroy the confidence in her nephew or was it her niece. As she pulled out of the rest stop Yoshi though about how to bring up the topic of Ren dressing a girl to be one of her models.

“I understand, aunt Yoshi.” Ren said then smiled at her. “I think I can get by as Raymond until we get to Tokyo.”

Yoshi had to do a double take when Ren flashed her that smile. “For a minute there I thought that you were your mother with that smile. She always did have a wicked sense of humor. Mishi always was one for a good practical joke.”

“I know all about mom’s practical jokes, aunt Yoshi.” Ren blushed at one memory that happened less than a year ago. “Would you believe that last year at Halloween she suggested that we go to the MP battalion’s party as a pair of geishas?”

“Did you do it?” Yoshi asked with a smirk. Ren look at his aunt and could tell that she wanted to know more about that time.

“We did. I still have the kimonos that we used. I packed them in one of the footlockers.” Ren blushed bright red at admitting this to his aunt.

“Well, don’t just sit there. Tell me about the party.” Yoshi practically begged.

Ren chuckled and blushed even harder. “It was last year at Halloween. We were still stationed in Würzburg, Germany. Dad was still awaiting his promotion to First Sergeant. Anyway, his Commanding Officer at the time felt that the families of his troopers needed to celebrate Halloween in a safe way. His solution was to hold a post wide party at the post gym. The party was announced two months prior, so mom had plenty of time to order the kimonos for her and me. Mom made a traditional style costume of samurai armor for dad.”

Yoshi smiled as she could see what had happened before Ren even got to the punch line. “Let me guess. She didn’t tell you that your costume was more than just the kimono?” The twinkle in Yoshi’s eyes followed by a giggle let Ren know she had figured out his mom’s prank. “Where did she get all the right makeup? Did you look like a proper geisha? Did anyone spot you as being a boy?”

Ren was honest with Yoshi. “Nope, all she told me was that we were going to the party as a traditional family of the Tokugawa shogunate. I don’t know where mom got the makeup from, but we did look like real geisha. No one even guessed that I was a boy. I actually won the award for best costume.” There was a note of pride in Ren’s voice towards the end of the story.

As they drove Yoshi smiled Ren had just opened the door for her next question. “Did you ever dress up as girl before that?”

“No. That was the very first time.” There it was the second opening that Yoshi was looking for. This time Yoshi didn’t let it pass her by.

“Ren, what if I told you that you could make a good deal of money by being a model and translator for me? Would you be interested in something like that?”

“What kind of model?” Ren asked slowly.

“Do you think you could pass yourself off as a Lolita?” Yoshi knew that it was now or never. “Not just any Lolita, but a Goth or Princess Lolita?”

-----tbc-----

up
390 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Interview with a Lolita

I have to say how much I am enjoying this series. I enjoy the peek into a different culture, not only Japan but the lolita subculture. Most of all I am enjoying your writing and story telling.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Culture

WillowD's picture

I, too, am enjoying this peek into Japanese culture. Most of my exposure to Japanese culture is through anime. I am sure much of that is exaggerated or idealized. And there is some stuff that I've seen in anime that I assumed was not typical in real life that I later on learned is common.

Thank you Jess.

I am really enjoying this......

D. Eden's picture

In addition to the obvious things - great character development and plot - the interplay between the two different cultures is something very different.

As an American, especially one who travelled in uniform, it is unfortunately fairly common to be treated with some ambivalence by customs personnel when entering a foreign country. I can imagine that our current administration hasn’t helped that situation any either. Trump and his cronies really seem to have the “Ugly American” thing down to a science.

Trump is such a moron that he actually thinks people admire him for it. Well, some do - the same ignorant, beer swilling idiots that think he deserves to be President.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

I assume you mean white American

At least as a tourist, being Asian myself when I visited Korea, there was a lot less of that kind of bias that I can see. I do not speak Korean but there is a distant similarity with the Cantonese I speak, though I was birn in the US.

Racial prejudices flow both ways *shrug*

The concept of the Ugly American.......

D. Eden's picture

Has nothing to do with skin color. Rather, it’s all about attitude and arrogance.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Ugly American

mountaindrake's picture

Obama was worse I had explain that many of us did not like his kissing up to terrorist the way he did he was worse for foreign business than the 2008 crash.

Have a good day and enjoy life.

I never voted for Obama........

D. Eden's picture

But I truly fail to see how anyone with a modicum of intelligence can say that he is worse than Trump.

This Republican is ashamed of what has become of the Party of Lincoln; ashamed of just how twisted the party has become.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

I did

Vote for Obama. He was not perfect, no president ever is.

He supported LGBT and he is one of the more humane of the presidents we’ve had.

As for the current party of Lincoln, I am not surprised they are this way, not in the least.

Japan has a problem with

a high rate of suicides among its children this suggests they need to tweak how they treat their kids. I know nothing about their culture, I would not be surprised if my Dad spent time there on TDY and whatnot. I do know the military jargon I picked up had a skosh of Japanese words.

I do know the military culture I grew up in had no tolerance for transgender people, which is why I spent most of my life in the closet until I was 50 or so.

Military support for trans

Well that should be to their shame then. Their mission is to protect ALL Americans, not only those who are like them.

Banning LGBT from any part of our American culture and institutions is ridiculous and a waste of talent and life.

I work for a company who does not discriminate against lgbt, and our work goes into the defense of our land by helping to provide the military the tools to do so. The would not have that talent otherwise.

Close Bond

My5InchFMHeels's picture

I sense a close bond developing between Yoshi and Ren. That bond I think will be as strong as it was between Raymond and his Parents. I'm sure that they would also like to be a fly on the wall when that custom's agent was getting a good chewing out, I know I was hoping to catch some of that myself.

I like so far

Lee's picture

I love the story that you have come up with wolfjess7 as we already know and can guess what the ending is going to be the question is how long and how fun it is to get there the pace you said looks to be on the long side to me which is a lot of fun for us readers .

On the Lolita fashion side I hope you give a good representation of the fashion I love
One last thing to point out to the readers is that Lolita fashion is for everyone regardless of gender or age

I am a male lolita.
So what is lolita fashion http://lolita-tips.tumblr.com/faq

Well Now

It looks like Aunt Yoshi is smart enough to take advantage of an opportunity and press a bit on something she has noted about our protagonist.

Let's hope that the newly dubbed 'Ren' is A) smart enough to see the other side of the same opportunity and realize that Aunt Yoshi is NOT going to become all judgemental, and B) brave enough to show the inner self that has been kept in hiding for so long.

- Leona

Oooh, you had to stop there

at the crux of the plot. Tease. Oh well, just have to wait until the next chapter. As usual, a very interesting and well written story.

Understanding the road ahead

Jamie Lee's picture

Gads, Hill's boss is a real caring JA, he has all the personality of a ice cube. He should plan on never retiring because his attitude won't get him very far as a civilian.

Yoshi has shown how caring she really is, and how to control herself when she encounters the JAs of the world.

The grandparents have already made plans for Raymond and yet no one has broached the subject with Raymond. So far Raymond understands he has a lot to learn, and a long way to go in his life, now he's living with his mom's family. That's a very good thing, since it shows that Raymond has not closed himself off to what may be asked of him.

Raymond provided Yoshi with the opening she was waiting for when he told of that Halloween. His being rather proud of winning best costume told Yoshi that Raymond had not been embarrassed when they attended the party. Had Raymond been embarrassed his attitude when talking about the party would have been bitter.

Yoshi's questions are also giving Raymond the opening he needs, if Rain is to appear. Going by the order of Yoshi's questions she would then ask if he has dressed as a girl since the party. If this question comes up then, as Yoshi did, he should go for it and explain about Rain.

Others have feelings too.

link needs to be fixed.

dani4familyfun's picture

delete this comment after it is fixed - but the link to the next chapter takes it back to chapter 3 rather than on to chapter 4.

Dani

Dani4FamilyFun