Burger Queen Chp. 10

Printer-friendly version

Bobby shows up early the next morning all dress and ready to go. Alissa had gotten up early and came out to start loading the food truck with everything she already pre-made.

“I brought coffee, Alissa.” Bobby comes walking into the food truck with two cups in her hands.

“Oh, thank you, Bobby.” As Alissa accepts the coffee cup.

“You’re welcome, so where is our first stop?” Bobby takes a sip of her coffee and watches Alissa as she double checks everything.

“Downtown near the park.” Alissa moves to the driver seat and sits down.

“Onward!” Bobby sits down in the passenger seat as they start moving

After twenty minutes, they arrive at their first stop and set-up shop. Alissa gets the grill ready and get a few orders right away. Alissa cooks and prepares, while Bobby takes the orders and handle the transactions.

Several guys order her suicide chicken burgers and regret it right away. Bobby warned them that it was extremely hot. Bobby took pictures with her cell phone of them eating the burgers and chasing down the bites afterward.

A few cops come by to check their license and food handling card. Which Alissa shows them and gives them a twenty percent discount on the cost of the food. One cop orders a Hawaiian burger, and his partner orders her pull pork barbeque sandwich with her homemade sauce to go on it.

Word spreads as she moves on to her next stop. She sets up there and within twenty minutes after setting up, she is swamped. Bobby and she stay very busy.

The kids love her macaroni and cheeseburgers. She gets a few special requests and prepares them for the customers. Her Angus steak burgers are a hit with a lot of men. They also liked her buffalo burgers.

Her vegan burgers were popular with the vegan crowd that came by her truck. One woman orders five burgers to take with her. There is a little break between orders as the crowd dies down some.

Alissa wasn’t going to have a tip jar out originally, but people kept on insisting on leaving tips. So, she put a plastic container out for tips. She’ll give all of them to Bobby.

“Wow, your burgers are going over well with the crowd.” Bobby turns around to look at Alissa.

“This is only the first day. We’ll see how the week goes. I’m fixing myself a barbeque sandwich. What would you like?” Alissa was steaming a bun for her sandwich.

“I’ll have the mushroom filled burger.” Bobby grabs a patty out and put it on the grill as Alissa does.

She had watched Alissa as she cooked the burgers. She wanted to help Alissa out more. So, she cooks her own burger and does the fixings herself.

Alissa watches Bobby as she cooks her burger. Bobby was doing fine as she watches her flip it.

“You are doing a wonderful job, Bobby.” Alissa was proud of her.

“Thanks, I’ve been watching you.” Bobby serves up her burger and put the fixings on it.

They eat their lunch in peace. Another police patrol stops and checks their business license, health card, and food handler cards. Alissa gives the police the same discount she gave the first set of police. One officer orders her buffalo wing burger. She does warn him about the sauce he picked.

He assures her that he could handle it.

“Famous last words.” Bobby just shakes her head as she prepares the burger.

He regrets it after the first bite. His partner teases him about it.

“We warned you officer.” Bobby and Alissa had a humorous smile on their face.

A couple of firefighters were walking by “what’s wrong? Too hot for you flat feet?”

Gary looks at the police officer with an amused look on his face.

“Let’s see if you can eat this burger.” Officer Markus looks towards Alissa.

“One hot wing burger please and fix it just the way you did before.” Officer Markus wanted to see if Gary could eat the burger.

Alissa fixes it just likes she normally does.

“Here you go, Officer Markus.” As she hands the tray to Officer Markus.

He accepts it “let’s see if you can survive this.” As he hands the burger to Gary.

“Thanks.” Gary accepts it and takes a bite.

Bobby and Alissa watch as he takes a bite and then another. They could see sweat beading on his forehead.

“I don’t think he can take it either.” Both she and Bobby had a smile on their faces.

Even Gary’s friend could see the sweat beading on his forehead. Gary holds his hand out for a bottled water.

Bobby hands him one “it won’t help.”

Gary accepts it and drinks it down. He looks towards Alissa and Bobby “do you carry milk?”

“Yes, sir.” Bobby gives him a bottle of milk.

A few people had gathered around to watch the antics going on. Bobby looks at Alissa “maybe you should make the sauce a little milder.”

“I think you are right.” Alissa makes a note to cut back on the sauce and make it milder.

By four in the afternoon, she heads back to her house. As she is backing the food truck up in the driveway, Gregory was pulling in as well.

“How did you girls do today?” Gregory carries a few empty containers from the truck.

“We sold out on almost everything. We need to cut the sauce on the buffalo chicken burgers. They are too hot for some of our customers.”
Bobby couldn’t wait to show Gregory the pictures she took of people eating those burgers.

Gregory fixes them some dinner from the supplies they had in the catering walk-in. Alissa grabs the second set of containers she filled and prepare those for tomorrow. Bobby helps her with those containers. By the time the dinner Gregory made was ready. Bobby and Alissa were prepared for tomorrow.

After dinner, Alissa counted how much they made and set aside the pay for Bobby. Alissa hopes tomorrow is as profitable as their first day.

The next few days they are busy at the various locations they stop at. They had a huge following on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. The local newspaper does a piece on them and their food. A few of their people had stopped by them and bought some of their food.

The Barbeque sandwiches with its homemade coleslaw was a big hit. The vegan burgers were selling well. The Hawaiian burgers were her biggest hit, and so were the chicken wing burgers.

Word had gotten around at the local police precinct about the discount she gives police officers and the food she served.

The fire stations around town also searched her out and wanted to try the chicken wing burger. She had made the sauce milder, but still a little
stronger than normal. Bobby got a lot of compliments for her artwork on the truck when asked who the artist was.

When she and Bobby got home each day, they restocked the food truck and replenish their supplies of burgers and fixings that went on them.
The suppliers she used for the catering business, supplied her with what she needed for the food truck.

A few jobs have come in for the catering business, so what her and Gregory decided to do. He couldn’t get away from the garage. So, they needed to hire additional people. Bobby suggested a person she knew from the local LGBT center that was having a hard time finding a job.

“Bring them in and I’ll interview them.” Alissa trusted Bobby’s judgment.

“Thanks, Alissa. You don’t know what this will mean to them.” Bobby could now help her friends that needed it.

Especially, Carol who was working a job where she got bullied and picked on. Carol bared the abuse because she needed the job. Even when they cut her hours down to six hours a week. She got another one cleaning toilets at a gym and an office.

up
204 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I would think that Alissa

I would think that Alissa would have given the same 20% discount to the fire fighters as well.

discount

She is. I just forgot to write about it.

garfieldwritingsf.jpg
If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
― Toni Morrison

It's a good marketing idea

WillowD's picture

And it certainly doesn't hurt to have trouble repellent (police, big strong firefighters, etc.) showing up regularly, whose mere presence will discourage trouble makers.

I'm surprised the jakes

I'm surprised the jakes bought lunch, rather than cook in the station.