Atalanta's Story Continued: Reaching Home Chapter 23

Printer-friendly version

I had hoped to post this chapter yesterday but my hip was hurting but the copy, paste, and adding lines between paragraphs takes concentration that when my hip hurts I don't have. These kidnappers have begun to realize in this chapter that they have a buzz saw on their hands. Thanks goes again to Ashleigh for her editing skills which helps me look better and hopefully a more enjoyable read.

red-hair-woman-1600x1200.jpg

As soon as the door locking mechanism clicked I began flexing my toes and feet thankful that I had chosen to wear pumps and not shoes with straps as the shoes slipped from my feet. Raising my right leg over my body and by twisting and arching my back I pressed my heel against the rope tied on that leg. Moving both legs in a bicycle type motion I eventually worked the knot off the meaty portion of my leg to my ankle. My hope was now to work it over my ankle by trial and error. I cursed the woman again for her ingenuity as my foot slipped from the rope leaving us still roped together.

After another failure, I breathed in deeply sending a silent prayer heavenward knowing time was running short. Feeling the rope with my toes I carefully began pushing it slowing down my ankle and when I felt it against my heel I straightened out that foot and the rope fell free.

The ability to now raise both my legs free of hindrance restored a sense of confidence.Unfortunately, the second step was going to be several times harder because my hands weren’t really tied to the bed columns. Instead, the rope was tied around my wrists with the other end fastened to the bed directly in-line with my shoulders reducing leverage. I was faced with choosing a more upright position or a more prone one. The closer I got to sitting upright reduced the leverage in my arms and body but while it closed the distance from my hands to the framework of the bed it cut power to my arms and shoulders. Lying prone maximized my lower body and core strength but the question was to what end?

Closing my eyes, yeah I was blindfolded but it created a safe space to work in as I imagined the next step and then the next and so on. I ran the risk of wrenching a shoulder or two. Jeannie stirring beside me added another unknown; would her awakening bring someone in sooner to check on us.

Bringing my legs together I raised them over my head lifting my butt off the bed wedging my toes against the iron framework and bringing my hands up with the motion and gripping the round railing. The next step was securing enough grip to swing out and up to perch on the railing.
Taking a deep breath I swung my legs out and up much like a gymnast does on the bars landing my feet crouched low feeling the wall against my back. That answered the question if the bed headboard was in a corner. I giggled at the image that cropped in my mind of perched on the railing of crouching tiger tethered dragon.

Carefully using my legs and back I pushed the bed a few inches farther from the interior wall giving me added flexibility. I knew they had turned the lights off and the room was in darkness but I wanted that blindfold off. While my low light vision washed out colors and details it would still give me a sense of space and dimension.

A couple of questions would be answered with some vision returned to me; how far was it to the floor from the railing and how strong were the columns my wrists were bound to? Raising myself off the rail and bracing my feet against the wall I then lowered myself back onto the rail resting on my knees and hunched over.

Bobbing my head I finally located the upraised thumb on my right hand and after repeated tries hooked my nail under the blindfold’s edge lifting it up or down depending on your viewpoint.

With the blindfold off I saw that in maneuvering onto the bed railing I had twisted the ropes to my wrists. Not enough to cut off circulation in my present position but had I opted to complete the turn 360 degrees and land on the floor I would have garroted myself.The round rods that I was tied to looked to be about a half-inch in diameter, hopefully, hollow and fastened at either end by decorative nuts.

Jeannie was now fully awake and terrified at waking up half-dressed in a strange setting and her lower body unencumbered began flailing on the bed searching for something solid to connect with.

I didn’t know if that would bring our captors sooner to investigate or if they would wait until she had worn herself out.My muscles were starting to cramp from excess lactic acid soon making the timing of their return a moot point.

After anchoring my backside against the wall, tightening my grip on the headboard frame, and securing my feet against the round columns I began to push with my legs while pulling back with my arms. I incrementally increased the pressure evenly hoping for a clean and even break.
Suspended and stretched tight my body began to tremble and shake from the exertion. Closing my eyes, I groaned at the brink of desperation before feeling a rage springing from my gut: calling an indomitable will that refused to quit or admit defeat. I felt an energy rush seemingly pulled from the ether that refueled and refreshed my muscles. Metal began popping and cracking reaching their stress levels splitting the decorative nuts freeing the columns from their moorings.

Luckily the top end broke first freeing my hands though my feet were now on the bed. I didn’t care I was free and felt like roaring at the top of my lungs at the feral burst of energy as I ripped the tape from my mouth. I hustled to the top of the bed springing down to land lightly on the floor beside Mrs. Nelson who had stopped her struggles.

Leaning over her I whispered, “Jeannie it’s me, Atalanta. I’ll have you free in a minute but I have a few things to tend to first. Just lie still.”

Straightening up I noticed the diffused light under the door rendering one plan less than useful. A quick glance revealed no cameras activated and a door at the far end that I assumed led to the bathroom. Padding quickly across the room I did find that it was the bathroom. As I moved I unwrapped the paracord bracelet.I held it’s length between my fingers. Inside the room, I quickly took down the shower curtain and rod as the beginnings of a plan took shape.

Striding into the bedroom I removed Jeannie’s blindfold and tape before untying her wrists and helping her to sit.

“What happened, where are we?”

“I’m not sure where we are,” I whispered, “but things are going to get crazy here real soon and I need you to do exactly as I say. Okay?”

“What are you going to do?”

I rolled my eyes in the darkness feeling my lips part thinly, “Payback is a bitch and I’m about to exact some payback.” Helping her to her feet I guided her to the bathroom, “Stay in here and don’t come out until I come to get you.When the excitement happens, get into the tub and stay there.”

Moving quickly I gathered up the pieces of rope used on me and Jeannie tossing them on the bed beside the other useful items. Snatching the cordage I tied to the foot of the bed leaving the end dangling over the frame. Removing the curtain rings I piled them in a heap on the bed then ripping the curtains into six-foot lengths forcing the rings through the flimsy material and the two ends together to form a circle.

I didn’t know what they’d be useful for, but hey, can’t use ‘em if you don’t have’em.I separated the rod into its two separate sections each about four foot long hefting each piece. One section held the spring mechanism; the other section that fit into it was tapered. Neither was ideally weighted.

Lifting the desk I moved it closer to the doorway and using the longest length of rope tied it to the furniture about three inches off the floor.

Moving the chair I used it to remove the overhead light and its covering. In the bathroom, I only removed the glass covering leaving the light in place but handing Jeannie the light from the other room.

“Here hold onto this for now.”

“What are you going to do with that,” she asked pointing to hefty glass bowl left in my hand.

Shrugging into the darkness I mused, ‘have no idea, sister, but I whispered, “They’ll be into check on us at anytime and I want anything not bolted down to create as much confusion and chaos as I can. Meanwhile, I want you to stay put until I come to get you. That’s very important no matter what you hear or imagine happening don’t leave here until I come to get you.”

“Couldn’t we just barricade ourselves in and wait for help?”

I had considered and discarded that plan, “They’ll eventually starve us out or bust in depending on their goals. We need to take the fight to them.”

“I’m not exactly dressed for battle in my underwear.”

“Well for some battles,” I giggled in response then immediately somberly adding, “Okay back to the matter at hand; you get settled in back here and I me out there.”

Jeannie hugging me, “I’m praying for you.”

“Thanks, I can use all the help I can get.”

Once back at the outside door I reassessed parts of my plan removing the trip line and moving the desk to nearer its original location. Waiting I adjusted my bra settling my breasts into their cups and feeling Jeannie’s card. I certainly didn’t want an equipment malfunction and at the worst possible time. Waiting I began rethinking my options;breasts are a focal point and a man’s groin was their Achilles heel in a fight, but Jeannie was correct; bra and panties weren't ideal battle gear.

Why was I even thinking it?

Was there something besides chlorophyll in the chlorophyll? Or was it something else entirely interfering with decision making.

Now that I had moved to the side of the door opening away from the light switch the trip line made more sense and I moved quickly to reset it.

What was going on?

Satisfied at long last with my preparations I began slow probe of the room using my senses. We must be near either high tension power lines or near factories because a slight and steady hum permeated the air.

Hearing voices I flattened my body against the wall as a key turned in the lock releasing the latch and both men walked through the partially opened door, “—check on our sleeping beauties.”

“Sarah said—“

“—No names remember,”

“What difference does it make,” he remarked as his partner found the light switch at the same instant his foot found the trip line.

Hearing the switch click I charged ahead swinging the rod like a club hitting the second man in the temple sounding like a scattershot as it connected, cracking in my hand. He stumbled into the first man who was entangled in the rope and they both went down and I was on top.

My hand reached inside a coat pocket hoping they were packing heat, breathing a sigh of relief as my fingers closed on the handle of a semi-auto handgun. Pulling it free I used the butt to knock the squirming man on the bottom out and rolling off their limp bodies sent two warning shots down the hall. Using the momentum I rolled to a sitting position and reaching back with my free hand tossed the glass globes in the same direction following them with two more quick shots that shattered the spinning glass orbs sending pieces of broken glass flying. I snapped off a third at a shadow that peered from a doorway. A fourth broke the bulb and globe at my door.

Moving swiftly I closed the door dragging the bed against the wall and in front of the door. Continuing my frantic pace to secure our entrance way, and using the cordage,looping it around the door knob and then lashing it tightly securing the bed to the door.

Stepping back, over, and around limp bodies and overturned furniture I called to Jeannie, “Bring me the light bulb but be careful and oh you can turn on the light in there.”

A soft glow emanated from that room throwing shifting shadows against the wall and floor as Jeannie reemerged handing me the light bulb. Righting the overturned chair and dragging it under the overhead fixture I stood in the chair and replaced the bulb. The room was instantly bathed in light.

Seeing the prone bodies Jeannie gasped, “Are they—“

“Nah,” I replied flippantly, “they’re just resting. Here help me get them into an upright position.” Dragging one of the guys I propped him against the bed and then moving to help Jeannie with her cargo.

“Good, now let’s take off their shirt and coat. We don’t have time,” I admonished adding, “just toss them on the bed for now. We soon had the men stripped to their trousers which was about to change. Looking around I spied the desk and drawer and hustling over to it pulled out the drawer and set it and its contents on the floor between us.

“Jeannie I need for you to unbuckle their pants and then re-buckle them above their knees while I tie these bad boys up…and go through their pockets and take out everything you find and place it in the drawer.”

Retrieving the undamaged shower rod I tied their hands to the rod and each other limiting individual movement. Carrying the clothing to the desktop where Jeannie had placed the drawer I added the contents of the jackets and shirts to the loot.

“Here,” I handed Jeannie a jacket, “put this on and go through their wallets, look for ID, money, and anything else that catches your eye.”

The smaller of the two shirts fit tight in the chest while hanging loosely at the waist and hung halfway to my knees, and when buttoned up looked like a dress.

“That’s cute,” Jeannie smiled.

“Not the look I’m going for,” I snarked rummaging through the items. Another Ruger 9mm and two full magazines were much more critical and interesting. As was the 5” folding lock blade knife Jeannie had found in one’s pants pocket.

“Their ID,” Jeannie replied holding two Virginia driver licenses cards up and $2,000 in 100 dollar bills.”

Taking the cash I stuffed it inside my bra remarking, “I’m starting to fill out,” adding to her lifted eye, “Tuition is expensive.”

Among the loot, we found a small pocket notebook, pen, and two burner cell phones. Our initial excitement tempered at the poor reception bars and the weak batteries. At that moment the background buzz or hum died. My ears popped and crackled at the sudden quiet similar to altitude changes.

A woman’s voice, Sarah’s, her tone clear and precise emanated from each of the room’s four stereo speakers. I felt the delayed sound of her speech as it radiated in quick succession to each ear. I also now noticed the rhythmically measured beat hidden in the white noise played earlier.

“Mrs. Nelson you need to open the door and come out quietly. Your situation is hopeless and when we’ve received our demands you and your young companion will be free to go.”

Placing a forefinger to my lips I pulled her into the bathroom and relayed some of what I’d heard. “We’re in this together,” I began tersely, “but I think our best bet is to push their hot buttons; to get them to wondering what we’re up to and second guess their actions. Their speaker setup is a brainwave entrainment designed to induce… cooperation.”

“Brainwashing,” Jeannie asked her voice pitched.

“A component of it, sure, but let me do the talking okay.”

She nodded and we walked back into the center of the room, “Young companion here; I don’t believe you, and I have a counter demand.”

“Oh, and what might that be.”

“I believe you should call 9/11 and just give up.”

“And why would we do this?”

“I don’t believe you understand the severity of the situation,” I returned flippantly and shooting Jeannie a lopsided grin, “You have messed up my social calendar and I don’t know how I’ll ever live it down,” ending in a high-pitched nasal singsong cadence, “This was supposed to be my coming out party this weekend and now you’ve ruined it all and I’ll never get invited to any cool parties.”

“Mrs. Nelson let me talk to you,” she cooed.

“Sarah, you’re time is running out,” and on hearing her sharp intake of air I pushed even harder, “Yes that’s right Sarah your minions have already given up your name—such tame fellows—marshmallows really you do need to do better vetting, and soon I expect to extract a list of contacts and numbers.”

I felt a cool breeze flow through the room as an influx of excited energy filled me with power and strength, “Sarah I don’t care what you do; the game is up and whatever plans you had is now DOA. And we have your accomplices who I’m sure will rat you out. Of course, you can try and break in but it’ll be costly. You can try and hide but I know who you are and you don’t have a clue about who I am. Your best bet is to give yourself up and turn State’s evidence.”

Silence greeted my monolog, “What do you think she’ll do?”

Shrugging I replied, “beats me but let’s see if we can use the phones.”

“I can’t get through,” Jeannie declared her voice quivering.

“I can’t either but a text might get through.”

“Yes, that might work,” Jeannie replied smiling broadly.

“You text your husband and I’ll get hold of Manny; one of us should get a message out. You send their ID numbers and I’ll send Manny our location.”

“You know where we’re at?”

“Close enough for government work,” I quipped adding, “We should probably hit redial and send those numbers too.”

I punched Manny’s number in and the message: “Fun Party: Having a Blast: Wish You Were Here: Loc. 40-50 miles N. or N.N.E. A.”

Then we waited for a reply; Jeannie clenching and unclenching her hands and breathing softly while I was busy working out a plan B. We needed to buy time and while I had planted seeds of doubt in Sarah she would take action. Breaching the door at the lock side or even at the hinges was a logical first step followed by shooting through the walls which I felt sure wouldn’t stop a bullet. The porcelain tub was the only item affording any protection in the apartment and only then by lying prone. A ricochet can wound or kill as effectively as a direct hit and we’d be pinned down.

My ruminations were interrupted by our cell phones ringing in concert which we quickly answered. Swiping the reply icon I read Manny’s message; “Recvd Loc clear: J’s text Also clear: The #s help: Tracing Phone Signal: Stay Put.”

Jeannie sent me a thumbs up, silently miming, “They’re tracing my number.”

I nodded ‘okay’ and sent Manny a reply, “Too dangerous: Have to move soon: Send Perp’s Info.”

Sun Tzu warning’s to know your ground ran through my mind; the apartment wasn’t an ideal Stand Your Ground type but it may have to do. Another of his recommendations was to Know Your Ground and now seemed like a good opportunity to do that though it seemed fruitless.
I handed Jeannie my phone, “I’m going to poke around a bit. Why don’t you take a few pictures of our abode and send them the best two or three? If you can send them that is.”

“We’re going to get out of this, aren’t we? They will find us in time.”

Her last words seared my consciousness and let me see the world through her eyes and most of the world as well. Rescue was a part of my plan but not the plan.

“Yes,” I replied, “we will make it.”

I crossed the floor to the desk examining the drawer contents again and looking for anything hidden but only rewarded with finding a penlight. Stepping lightly over obstacles I examined the room including the door and frame and finding nothing that swayed my opinion that it was a weak link.

The closet—really a recessed area in the far corner and near the headboard measured four foot by four foot with a curtain nailed over its opening. Pushing it aside I moved inside greeted by murky darkness as the material swung back into the entrance. Grinning I gripped the little penlight tighter pushing the plastic on button shining its narrow beam over the three walls and seeing nothing. No nails protruding to be used as hangers, no beefcake photos I thought grinning at turning the term pinups on its head. After striking the walls I was satisfied it was solid and not hiding a secret door.

What the hell was its Purpose?

Taking a mental step back I again examined the walls looking for anything that seemed out of place. To stomping my foot against the floor and finally to stepping to the rear of the alcove shining my light above the area behind the tacked up curtain. The beam of light fell on the ceiling that also didn't seem to serve any other purpose than a cap. But something seemed off.

I again swung the flashlight’s beam over the boxed-frame the curtain was fastened to and then up to the ceiling which seemed awful high. Stretching my hand over my head and standing on tip-toes I was short of touching the ceiling by at least 18 inches. At six foot on tip-toes,I could touch an eight-foot ceiling. It had to be ten feet off the floor but the apartment hadn’t felt that spacious.

Stepping out of the cramped space I stood on my toes my fingers briefly touching the ceiling. I was right the apartment’s ceiling was eight feet and the alcove a ten foot one? Positioning myself directly under the opening and comparing each side directly, the framed opening was about a foot short of the ceiling on the apartment side, but over two feet of space inside the boxed structure.

Perplexed I rubbed the back of my neck; there seemed to be an 18 inch to two-foot platform over the ceiling. The question was why and to what purpose? And could it help us? Walking back into the room and retrieving the chair I barely touched the wooden ceiling panel.
Muttering I walked back into the room locating the knife and damaged rod.

“Find something?” Jeannie asked one arm bent at the elbow while gripping the other arm.

Seeing her pained look I explained, “I think so; there seems to be a platform above our heads and if I can access it we can walk out of here.”

“Really that’s good news. Anything I can do to help?”

“Talk to Sarah when she comes back on the speakers; feel her out and see if you can learn anything, ask her why she kidnapped you.”

“Kidnapped us,” she corrected me.

“Nah, you were the one they wanted; I just happened to get in the way.”

Carrying my tools I climbed on the chair prodding the planking with the knife blade and then with the cylinder using it to push harder against the ceiling. Several points indicated some give but it wasn’t until I pushed at the edge opposite the room’s outside wall that my heart leaped as the board raised revealing a doorway.The door was hinged about 12 inches from the wall with enough of an angle to let it rest against the wall and not slam shut.

My little flashlight revealed 2X4 framing the trapdoor rested on and a solid wooden floor above that. The darkness ate up my mini light’s attempts to stab further into the dark pit that lay beyond.

Stepping off the chair I walked over to where Jeannie stood, “Ready to go?”

“You found a way out.”

“Yep, let’s gather up our stuff and get out of here,” I replied taking the shirt, shoes, and coat to the closet.

Not an ideal place to break but the next logical chapter break would double the length of this chapter. I do hope you enjoy this chapter and leave us plenty of kudos and comments. Thanks

up
288 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oooh!

She took down 2 of the evil empire and knows the name of a 3rd. Now that she has a possible way out this is looking to be a much better scenario for the girls, I can't wait to see what happens when Manny and friends get there, will there be anything left for them to do besides clean up the mess? heh

Thank you for posting this, sorry that you're having pain issues, take care of yourself first, we'll wait! =]

Sara

If I know Atalanta

I'll bet she'll have even more surprises in store for the evil empire.

Yep!!

Enjoyed this chapter....uuuh, I re-read a couple chapters and enjoy and this as one of my current stories..
Thanks
a

alissa

Atalanta's Story

Wow! what a great story. I read all of Atalanta's stories this weekend once I started I couldn't stop. Great job.

Atalanta

Great to see her back. Of course now I have to go back and read it all from the beginning. What a great excuse to do so, not that I need one. I am looking forward to finding out what happens next. I am sorry to hear about your pain and I hope life finds you better soon.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Great that this story

Great that this story continue.. this is one of the amazing story I would say must read.

Brava!

northmiester's picture

I so enjoy Atalanta's story! I love that you've continued and eagerly await more!!