Coyote Chapter 10

Printer-friendly version
coyotename.jpg

A Whateley Tale

Written by Nuuan


~o~O~o~

Chapter 10

Cleaning Nemi had been an ordeal in itself, luckily they did have a pressure washer for her to use but even with that it took the better part of 4 hours to get all the mud, dirt and debris out of the joints, nooks and crannies of the mech. Between that and the fact she had very little sleep the night before Angela fell face first onto her bed after she trudged into her room in Melville.

“Wake up,” Angela felt something nudging her shoulder, “Yer got yerself an a-point-ment doc.” An 18 inch tall stuffed Bugs Bunny was shaking her shoulder.

“Yes my dear,” Wile E. Coyote said as he used the bedspread to climb up, “You do not wish to be late for your appointment for your powers testing.”

“Yea,” Bugs Bunny chimed in again, “Up and At-em!”

“Uhhggh,” Angela groaned, “I’m tired.”

“That’s what yer get for letting that robot of yer’s run amok fer so long,” Bugs said then began waving his white glove in front of his face, “P-U, You smell like you’ve been hanging around Pepe Le Pew! You need a bath!”

“I’m going, I’m going,” Angela pushed herself up to get out of bed. “And I never gave you a sense of smell! So how would you know how I smell?” She argues with her stuffed toy as she disrobes, knowing full well she probably did stink after the cleaning she had to give her mech yesterday.

Jumping down to the floor Bugs picks up a corner of the tank top she had just taken off and thrown on the floor, holding it to his nose, “Methinks the smell will not wash out, we should burn these things after she leaves.”

“Don’t you dare!” she turned and glared down at the little rabbit. “Those clothes are new, Mom just bought those!”

“Alright, Alright already,” Bugs waves her away, “We’ll put em in the laundry hamper. But marks my word, this room will smell if in ya don’t wash em soon!”

“Okay!” she presses her lips together tightly, “Now stop badgering me!” putting on her robe as she picked up her shower bag and heading out of the room, she left her door wide open.

Going over Bugs leans out of the doorway and yells after her, “Hey you wasn’t born in a barn was ya?” Angela threw her free hand behind her back giving Bugs the middle finger as she walks away.

As the door swung shut a couple of the other stuffed animals had gotten down from the bed and were dragging the clothes Angela had left lying on the floor and putting them in the laundry hamper. Bugs could be heard, “I’ll tell ya, if it weren't fer me, nuttin’ would get done around here, nuttin’ I tells ya!”

~o~O~o~

“Hi, I’m supposed to see someone about testing?” Angela told the young man behind the desk while clutching Wile E. Coyote to her chest.

“You must be Miss Wiley?” he said after looking at his computer screen.

“Yes,”

“Follow me, I’ll lead you to the room,” he got up and motioned for Angela to follow him through a door into a long hallway. After passing a few doors he stopped and says, “Here we are, go inside and the doctor will be with you shortly.”

Angela walks in, sits in a chair on one side of a table and places Wile E. Coyote on the table facing her, then passes the time talking with Her stuffed doll. Around 15 minutes later, if the clock on the wall was correct a tall man wearing a lab coat walks in carrying a clipboard.

“You must be Miss Wiley?” The man looks up from the clipboard, “I’m Doctor Hendricks.”

“Hi,” Angela looks up at the doctor.

“So Miss Wiley, I see here that you have manifested as an exemplar.”

“If that means I used to be a boy and now I’m not, then yes,” Angela smiled halfheartedly at him.

“That kind of change usually means you have Body Image Template, although with your medical history it is possible becoming an exemplar could do that without the body image template. That is something they will have to test during the medical part of your testing. Does the metamorphosis you underwent bother you?”

Angela shrugged. “From what I have been told there isn’t anything that can be done about it.”

“True, true,” The doctor said, “Most of the time there isn’t as your BIT overwrites your old self-image.” Flipping through a few pages, “It shows here that you underwent a total hysterectomy when you were seven years old is that correct?”

“I had some operation about removing stuff that boys were not supposed to have. I tried to forget about that as it was painful and I hated all the times I had to stay in the hospital.”

“That’s completely understandable. And apparently you did have several stays in the hospital according to your records, but we are not here about your medical condition or how much it has changed.”

“We’re not?” Angela looks confused.

“No this meeting is to determine what mutant powers you may now have. So tell me have you noticed anything different about yourself, other than your outward appearance of course?”

“Not really, maybe I’m stronger I guess.” Angela tried to answer, “Oh there is one thing. I can read faster than I used to.”

“What about that robot of yours? Have you been able to always build those or is that something that is new?”

“Well programming seems easier, I upgraded several of my stuffed animals’ programming the first night I was alone in my room.”

“Oh upgraded as in how?”

“Show him Wiley.”

The stuffed coyote twisted around and stood up, and in a proper British accent, says, “Hello Doctor, I am Wile E. Coyote, genius. Pleasure to make your acquaintance,” Then reaching behind its back produces a business card that it offers to the doctor.

“Nice work, was the toy always this talkative? Or was this part of the new programming?”

“No it couldn’t talk before, it used a flexible LCD screen on a stick that made it look like the sign the one in the cartoon always used, I also improved his programming so he has a lot more actions and stuff so he thinks for himself.”

“Think for itself?” The doctor looked annoyed at Angela’s explanation.

“Well yes,” Angela tried to explain better, “But it cannot think outside of the personality that it is programmed with.”

“So are you saying that you not only programmed this small toy with a higher function AI, you also programmed it with a personality?”

“Yes sir.” She pointed at the stuffed coyote, “He is Wile E. Coyote, he thinks like Wile E. Coyote and acts like Wile E. Coyote. He is even clumsy like the cartoon.”

“I beg your pardon madam,” Wiley Turned to Angela. “I am far from clumsy! Just watch and learn!” Wiley Stepped over and picked up the pencil the doctor had laid on the table, “Excuse me sir, may I borrow this for a moment?”

“Yes,” Doctor Hendricks smiled.

Wiley Proceeded to hold the pencil straight up in the air then place the eraser on the tip of his nose and begin balancing it on his nose, Within a few seconds the coyote was pedaling his feet faster and faster back and forth trying to keep the pencil from falling until the coyote ran off the edge of the table. The coyote hung there in midair for a good ten seconds after the pencil fell before it looked down then reached behind its back producing a sign that read, “YIKES”, then fell.

“It can levitate?”

Angela giggled, “Gravity doesn't work until you look down.”

Doctor Hendricks even had to chuckle at that as he remembered the same cartoon from when he was a child. “So when did you create this toy robot?”

“I think I was five when I made Wiley.”

“And how many modifications have you made it to since then?”

“I haven’t done really anything but repairs until after I arrived here. The internal chassis is the same, the motors and servos all exactly like I first made him. Since I got here, I reprogrammed him to be more like the cartoon, that and added in the anti-gravity device that I made for him.”

“You designed, developed and built a miniature anti-gravity device in one evening?”

“When I finished programming Wiley, Bugs and Yosemite Sam, I was bored. And wasn’t sleepy yet. Oh the anti-gravity device doesn’t work for very long.”

“Because of its size?”

“No size doesn’t seem to have anything to do with it, it has to do with the amount of energy that it requires to cancel gravity increasing exponentially during each second the device cancels gravity. Does that make sense?”

“So I think we can safely say you’re a gadgeteer and possibly a devisor, but you said you could do most these things before you manifested.”

“Yes sir.”

“Can you explain how you do them?”

“Umm, I just see it in my head.”

“Has that changed since your manifestation?”

“Yes,” Angela perked up, “I see how to do things a lot faster now, before I may have had to think for a while before I knew how to make something, now it seems I know how before I even think about it.”

“Okay,” Hendricks got up and walked to the other side of the room, “I want to try a little test if you’re ok with it?”

“Okay.”

“I am going to give you a tray of parts, I want you to assemble something out of it as quickly as you can.”

“Alright.”

Hendricks brings over a metal pan the size of a large cookie sheet and set in it front of Angela. The tray has a white towel covering the contents.

“One second Sir,” Angela reaches down, picks up Wiley and sets him on the table, “Sorry, he was pulling at my pants leg trying to get my attention. Ok ready now.”

“Alright Angela I am going to time you on this.”

“Okay”

“Go.” Hendricks pulls the towel off the tray revealing the parts that lie in it as well as, a couple screwdrivers, pliers, and an adjustable wrench.

Angela cocks her head to the left as she looks at the assortment of parts, then to the right. Angela then turns the tray 90 degrees and does the same, turned the tray and repeating every 90 degrees until the tray was back in its original position. Angela’s then dug into the parts and began assembling them together. Several minutes later Angela stopped and set two small plastic and metal blocks about 2 inches on a side on the table.

Doctor Hendricks scratched his cheek as he pondered the two cubes the girl had made, “Not exactly what I expected. What do we have here?”

Looking at the cubes she had made carefully, Angela picked up one of them, “Your coffee, it’s cooled down quite a bit since you sat it down?”

Hendricks picked up his coffee and took a sip, “Yes, it wasn’t that warm when I came in actually.”

Angela gently dropped the cube in his coffee cup. Almost instantly the coffee started steaming, “That one will keep a hot drink at a constant 170 degrees.”

“And the other one?” Hendricks pointed at the cube still on the table?”

“That one will keep a drink cold.”

Hendricks took another drink of his coffee, “Interesting, perfect temp I might add. Although this is not what I expected you to build from those parts,” he takes another drink from the now hot coffee, “What inclined you to build these from the tray?”

“I saw that your coffee was getting cold.”

“So you found nothing else that you could build from those parts?”

“Oh no, there were several things I could have built. Obviously those parts were from some type of electrical firearm. Maybe a weird Taser or something but I thought I would get in trouble if I built a gun here.”

Angela suffered through several more hours of this and other tests before Doctor Hendricks and the two other doctors that administered some other tests had come to their conclusions. Doctor Hendricks came back in the room and told her that she was a Gadgeteer 6, Deviser 1 possibly 2, Exemplar 1 and then explained each of these to her before telling her that she could go. Angela went back to her room, exhausted from the day she had.

up
414 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Gadgeteer 6

Well she is up there almost a 7. It's possible she could get to a 7 later in life. I like the hot and cold cubes since she wasn't sure she should build a gun. Thanks for the new chapter Nuuan.

gadgeteer levels

Per Whateley wiki, a level 7 in this ability is so good that many of their creations would appear to be devises because either the equipment or technology does not exist for others to recreate or duplicate it and thus prove it is a gadget instead of a devise.

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Yes, thank you!

WillowD's picture

Thank you for the story. I find this one particularly amusing.

I think Angela

Sammi's picture

was being coy, by saying that

She prodably meant something more like
"I thought that I would get in trouble for the type of gun that I could build"

Remember the Dr's reaction when she mentioned the AI in 'While E.'


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Sure she’d get in trouble

She may have built something that is already covered by a NDA and/or classified.

If it’s new then patent protection is needed else momma is upset.

can you imagine

She builds gun the military is interested in yet she refuses to build any at Whateley because she fears they may try to meddle with her patent?

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

The ability to just look at a

The ability to just look at a pile of parts and "know" what to make out of them, would be a great ability just in itself. Factoring in that from the same pile of parts you could build more than one type of thing or item is an even more amazing ability. I liked how she told the Dr. that if she had built the 'raygun" or taser, they would have most likely been mad at her.

Coyote

Once upon a time showing off her plushie friends would have sent people looking for Jade , although I could see bugs being very popular with Bunny. It sounds like shes got a good hold on bugs he could be trouble. I dont know how many of these you've got for us, or if you're writing new chapters but I hope there are many more to come.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Three is one more...

That is done and going thru editing. It was the original "final" chapter when it was written but as it leaves way too much undone, I'm writing a 12th chapter to bring things to a conclusion

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

“Gravity doesn't work until you look down.”

giggles. I remember one cartoon where a young Elmer Fudd was able to disobey the law of gravity because, as he put it, "I haven't studied law yet".

DogSig.png

Gotta love

Cartoon physics :)

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

For some reason

I get the feeling that Angela was holding back some during the testing. I suspect that her Deviser rating should be a little bit higher, and maybe her Gadgeteer.

Can we say - AI?

- Leona

Angela a devisor?

I thought most everything she has done could be lumped under gadgeteer so far. Now her coyote on the other hand... How many can paint a picture of a tunnel on a wall and it work as a tunnel? Now that has got to be a devisor rating that is off the scale :)

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

How can you tell?

If it is something a devisor made or a leap of understanding by a high level gadgeteer that is so far advanced that it falls under Clarke's law....

Exactly

That would be a level 7 gadgeteer, science and or techniques so far advanced above the norm that the item cannot be copied.

But not being able to copy it would put the item in the devise classification when tested to see if it was a gadget or devise. So how many gadgeteers with very high ratings (gadgeteer 5 or 6) that also have low to mid ratings in Devisor are in fact really gadgeteer 7?

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

I guess the question would be...

Can Loophole reproduce their work? She's a well known person who did have the ability to 'know' how something worked until she ended up hosting Grizzly, that is! Now she has to re-learn that. Well not exactly. She just has to have time to accommodate Grizzly as there is a mismatch between Hallow and spirit... Something about the fact that she wasn't a natural avatar...

Please sir may I have some more

Gianna Michelle's picture

This is getting really interesting and the robot cartoon characters are great can't wait to see what crazy stuff they get up to in the story. Hope you can post more soon thanks for the great story and God Bless.

Wile E Coyote, Super Genius

Ms. Coyote may have come a little too close to getting unwanted attention on her AI systems. Her stuffed animal is just a bit too real for comfort. I hope that Heartless doesn't feel the need to snoop around.

Hide by not showing off

Jamie Lee's picture

Angela needs to be very careful who she tells about what she has done with the plushies. If others learn what she has done one or more plushy could come up missing with the thief wanting to discover how to recreate the toy and sell it. Unless of course each one has a built in self defence system.

Others have feelings too.