Coyote Chapter 9

Printer-friendly version
coyotename.jpg

A Whateley Tale

Written by Nuuan

Chapter 9

~o~O~o~

Returning to her room from her talk with Chief Delarose, Angela was in such a rush to get on her laptop that she left the door to her room wide open. Once logged in to the laptop Angela thought about the best way to talk with Sarah and plan their reunion so that no one would realize Sarah was a fully sentient and quite illegal AI. Without knowing the mech’s IP address she couldn’t make a secure link on her old laptop, so she did the next best thing by opening a secure link to Sarah at her house. Home Sarah had the processing power to make a semi secure connection to robot Sarah and send data in encrypted microbursts that should be more secure than the system the military used. Angela giggled at the thought of how confusing it was having two AI’s named Sarah’s while setting up the secure link.

While Angela was texting back and forth with Home Sarah, her stuffed Wile E. Coyote doll stood up from where Angela had laid it on her bed, walked across the bed, climbed up onto the desk Angela was working at then sat down on the desk beside her laptop with its legs hanging over the side of the desk’s top. “Hi Wiley,” Angela patted the doll on top its head. Reaching around behind its back the stuffed coyote doll pulled a stick with a small white sign that read, ‘HI,’ in large black letters that it showed to Angela before making the sign disappear behind its back.

“Och! He is sae Coot!” Angela heard the heavily accented girl’s voice behind her.

Quickly pressing the hotkeys that turned on the screen saver hiding everything displayed on her laptop’s screen, Angela swiveled in her chair to see a gorgeous redhead standing in the open doorway of her room. While Angela’s body was one hundred percent female, her mind was still mostly boy and like most young teen boys when facing a beautiful girl, she found herself speechlessly staring at the green eyed beauty standing before her.

“Ah wis traivelin bygane yer room 'n' cuid nae hulp bit see yer coyote. He is th' spitting photie fae th' cartoon. Did ye mak' him yersel'?”

Angela sat staring at the green eyed beauty standing in her doorway, “Um, sorry I, um don’t mean to stare it’s just your, um... “

“Ah tend tae git that noo that ah turned sae bonny,” The girl giggled, “Althoogh it's mostly from th' men 'n' laddies.”

Looking back at the redhead standing in her doorway, Angela tried her best to decipher what the girl had said. Her first thought was to ask the girl if she spoke English but knew that would be insulting as the few words Angela caught were English, just spoken in what Angela thought might be a thick Irish accent. “I’m sorry I didn’t understand most of what you said, your accent is sort of hard to understand. A bonnie?”

“Sorry, ah noo ye Americans hae a hard time, wi how us Teucher’s speak.” Walking across the room to Angela, holding her arm straight with her right hand out, “Whaur ur mah manners, a'm Emily Elspeth Glenwyvvn o' th' Dingwall brood o' Glenwyvvn.”

Taking her visitor’s hand in her own, “Hi Emily, I’m Angela and this is Wiley.”

Emily watched at the coyote once again produced the sign from behind its back, this time the words, ‘Hello Emily,’ magically appeared on it, “Howfur does he dae that?”

“Um, the sign is a flexible micro LED display. There’s contacts in his hand and on the pole that allow his CPU to display words on the sign. It’s the only way he can talk.”

“Sae he is a robot, nae a sith?” Kneeling, Emily looked closely at the coyote.

“Sith? If anything he would be a droid, not a sith,” Angela giggled.

Na, nae sith o’ tha movies.” Emily explained, “Sith is oor word fur whit ye call faeries.” Emily grinned, “Whilk is funny as mah room mate is one.”

“Your roommate is a faerie?”

“Aye pinted lugs,” Emily reached up taping the top of her ear, “and lanky,” holding the same hand above her head by several inches to show how tall her roommate was.

“Pointed ears and really tall?” Angela repeated. “I thought faeries were small and had wings?”

“Na, thare ur all kinds o’ sith, tall and wee ones, some lik’ us and some mair lik’ animals and some that ur true monsters richt oot o’ the stories.” Taking a deep breath to give her time to calm and slow her thinking so that she wouldn’t revert back to her normal accent, Emily continued, “Lik’ the stories aboot tha rid caps, thay tend tae look aloot lik' us bit wear a cap that thay soak in th' blood o' ones thay murdurr turning thair cap rid.”

“Wow those red caps sound pretty nasty,” Angela shivered.

“Aye they are.” Standing up from where she knelt Emily continued, “ Hae ye hud tae yit? Ah wis aff tae grab a bite tae eat, wantae join me?”

“Tea? You mean like dinner?” Angela stood up out her chair, “Sure, I’m kind of hungry.”

“Aye Tea, the forenicht, um evenin’, meal.” Emily stepped back giving Angela room, “Back hame dinner is a’ noon and tea is in th’ evenin’.”

Closing the door behind them as they exited, Angela looked over at her new friend, “So what do you call breakfast?”

“Breakfast o’ coorse,” Emily laughed.

The pair had not been sitting for very long when a very large boy stopped at their table. “Hello ladies,” the muscle bound teen smiled.

Having just taken a bite Angela nodded politely, while Emily greeted the boy, “Guid day tae ye.”

“You’ve got a real pretty voice there girl,” the boy’s smile widened, “Can you speak English?”

Angela snorted several times, trying to keep from spitting the food out of her mouth and laughing as Emily slammed both her palms down on the table while standing up, “Kin ah speak sassenach? Whit kind o' quaistion is that suppose tae be? Dae ye hae anythin' at a' atween yer lugs fur brains?” Emily glared at the muscle bound boy, “If ah hud nae promised mah mither that ah wid nae rammy ah wid skelp ye guid 'n' solid”

“I’m guessing that means you can’t speak English?” The boy grinned at Emily, “That’s okay though, you can still be my girlfriend. What I have in mind you don’t need to so much talking anyway.”

“She said she promised her mother that she wouldn’t start any fights in school and I get the feeling you’re about to make her break that promise,” Angela could see that Emily was becoming so angry her face was turning almost as red as her hair.

“What? Me afraid of some girl throwing a hissy fit?” The boy laughed, “I got a TK field that can stop bullets, there’s nothing two cute little girls could do to hurt me.”

“ A TK field doesn’t stop everything,” Angela replied as she reached across her tray for the pepper shaker. “I’ve made guns that can fire through three feet of armor plating, I doubt your TK field could stand up to that.”

Raising his voice as he leaned over Angela, who seemed to still be fumbling with the pepper shaker, “What part of bullet proof don’t you get girl?”

Turning her head away, Angela acted as if she was startled while her arm that held the suddenly now uncapped pepper shaker to jerk up spraying the contents of the pepper into the boy’s face. The boy immediately fell to his hands and knees gagging, coughing and sneezing.

“I’m so clumsy!” Angela jumped up from her seat, “I’m sorry, it was an accident.”

“What’s going on here?” A tall beautiful older blonde girl walked quickly over.

“I, I was trying to get the darn pepper shaker to work right and he sort of startled me,” Angela gave the tall blonde the best theatrical performance of innocence she could. One that she had perfected on the teachers at her old school.

“So he got a face full of pepper?” Both girls nodded in answer to the blonde’s question. Kneeling down to help the boy up. “Come on, let’s get you over to Doyle where they can flush your eyes.”

A tall native american walked up to them as the blonde girl helped the boy, who was still coughing and sneezing, toward the exit, “Care to explain what really happened here?”

“How come shuid we tell ye?” Emily replied, her anger still apparent.

“Sorry, I know that you both are new here. I’m Adam Ironknife, or Stormwolf. Mindbird, the lady that took your friend to Doyle and I are both part of the Auxiliary security here on campus.”

“He’s no friend of ours!” Angela explained, “He came over trying to make moves on Emily and then began insulting her because of her accent. It was making Emily mad so I asked him to leave. At the time I was trying to get the blasted pepper shaker to work and when he yelled at me, I accidentally dumped the pepper out in his face.”

“Accident huh?” Adam looked Angela in the eyes.

“Yeah,” Angela shrugged, giving Adam a sheepish smile, “I’m kind of a klutz at times.”

Adam wasn’t convinced it was an accident, although the way the boy has acted toward the Sidhe when he first arrived he had probably done more than the two girls were telling him and probably deserved what he got. But to ‘accidentally’ spill something that could both incapacitate and get through the boy’s TK shield she either knew what she was doing or she was a warper and security had not been informed of any new warpers arriving on campus.

Angela returned to her room by herself as Emily had an appointment with a doctor over at the Doyle medical building. Emily didn’t explain much about it other than it was something she was stuck doing twice a week due to some lab accident she said she would tell her about later. The next day was a blur as Angela tried to find the correct classrooms in the right buildings and not end up late, which she did more often than not that first day of classes.

Although once back in her room with all the loony toon robots that she had made to go with her Wile E. Coyote, she had a brainstorm. Sitting down in front of her laptop at her desk, Angela clicked on an icon on her desk top and began writing code into the program.

The next day Angela was thankful that the strange woman at the diner earlier in the week had said something about batteries for her alarm that day as she woke to find she had knocked a book off her nightstand in her sleep, which fell onto the cord to the clock radio and unplugged it during the night. Angela had stayed up way too late working on several of her robots, adding improvements to them that she had thought up.

Angela was approaching the main entrance of the school’s campus, after having showered and dressed. She saw a large crowd of at least 100 students gathered around the entrance. Security personnel appeared to be holding them back a little way from the large gargoyle statues that stood on each side of the road. Because of the mass of students it took nearly 10 minutes for her to get to the front of the crowd and convince one of the security guards that Delarose was expecting her.

Delarose grabbed Angela by the arm and pulled her to him, “You were supposed to keep your mouth shut about this!”

“I did! The only people that I thought knew about it were you, Gunny and Jericho.”

“Why would you tell Jericho?”

“I didn’t tell him,” She pulled her arm out of his grasp, “He was one of the ones that Gunny called when I got really sick and they brought me here, “I don’t know if I said something while I was delirious. Uncle Harry, or maybe Gunny said something, or Jericho figured it out for himself. After I woke up in the hospital he came to visit me and he knew.”

“Well however word got out, this has turned into a circus,” Delarose jerked his thumb toward the crowd, “I’m surprised none of the students have started selling popcorn.”

“What are we going to do?” Angela saw the security officers carrying some pretty heavy duty weaponry.

“Stick to the plan and pray this doesn’t go south.”

Delarose’s radio cracked to life, ~Whateley security, please acknowledge~

Delarose grabbed his radio and keyed the mic, “Who is this, how did you get on this secure channel?” he demanded.

~This is Roadrunner, Moving in for planned rendezvous with coyote for zero seven thirty hours, over.~

Delarose scowled at Angela, “How did that thing get on our secure frequency?”

Angela shrugged. She certainly had no intention of telling him anything that would reveal the nature of the mech.

Delarose keyed the mic again, “Copy Roadrunner, reading you five by five.” Then Delarose added, “Road Runner Coyote is not under duress nor is she being held against her will.”

~In a show of good faith I have powered down my offensive capabilities. I have scanned the weapons your officers have equipped, please do not attempt the use of force, this includes the officer you have positioned in the far tower, the modified weapon she possess cannot penetrate my armor.~

~o~O~o~

~We are here at the main entrance of Whateley on your one and only WAR radio, where there appears to be some type of event going on this morning. Right Greasy?~

~That’s right Peepers, no one knows for sure what is going to happen~

~Here’s a student now that may know something. Loophole, can you tell our audience what you know about this morning's event?~

~Go away peeper~

~Wait, there appears to be something big walking toward the main entrance of campus~

~It looks like it might be a robot Peeper~

~Wait, hold just a second, that’s not just any robot Greasy. It looks like it is the robot that stomped on that H1 mob down in Iowa last month~

~I think your right Peepers, it does look like that robot~

“It’s not going to hurt anyone!” Angela screamed as she saw several of the officers train their weapons on her mech as it walked slowly up the road. “Chief please!” she turned to Delarose, “It won’t fire the weapons, please tell them to put their guns away!”

The robot stopped 20 feet away from the line of security officers. ”Send Coyote forward,” A digitized voice cracked over its loud speaker.

Delarose grabbed Angela’s arm when she began to walk toward forward, “Careful.”

“It’s ok Chief.”

~o~O~o~

Jade had brought a small radio with her as Tennyo and she had rushed out of Poe cottage to see what all the commotion was at the main gate. Not able to see anything from the rear of the large crowd of students they had floated up high enough to look over everyone’s heads. Turning on the radio Jade hoped Peepers would have some information on about what was going on,

~The robot is calling itself Road Runner and has stated to the armed officers that are blocking it from entering the campus that they should send someone called Coyote out to it~

~Well this is a bit of a turnaround Greasy. The road runner is after the coyote for a change!~

~Look Peeper, a girl is walking out to it. She must be the coyote!~

~Greasy she isn’t a coyote, she’s a fox!~

~No kidding Peeper, and what a fox!~

As she approached, the mech’s torso leaned forward to keep her in it’s camera. “Stop,” it ordered over its loudspeaker. “Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Coyote” The loudspeaker cracked again.

“Zulu, Zulu, Tango, Oscar, Papa.”

“Identification confirmed, Please enter cockpit for final confirmation,” the mech lowered itself as low as its reverse knee legs would allow and put its nose to the ground allowing Angela to climb up the nose and into the cockpit, which closed once she sat in the pilot’s seat.

“Sarah you have GOT to see the mechbay they have here!”

“The school has a mech-bay with other mechs?”

“Well I don’t think any of the other mechs the students have built have an on-board AI, but it’s pretty cool. They even have a range where we can go do combat runs!”

“Now that is cool,” Sarah giggled.

“Ok time for the finale Sarah.”

“Aff.”

The loud speaker cracked again, “Secondary identification complete. Pilot rescue, recovery protocol disengaged. Evasion protocol disengaged. Transferring all control to Coyote.”

“How was that?” Sarah said over the internal channel.

“An outstanding performance,” Angela giggled, then noticing the mass of students were applauding, “Look at the crowd. You’re getting a standing ovation!”

Off to one side of the crowd Angela could see two girls floating in the air, one with spiky blue hair seemed to be sitting cross legged in midair while the other sat with her legs dangling off the side of a floating blanket.

~o~O~o~

“The robot,” Jade explained, “It was only trying to find its Okaasan.”

“It’s what?”

“It’s mother silly,” Jade grinned, “Coyote brought it into the world by building it therefore she is it’s mother.”

“Are you trying to tell me the GIANT KILLING MACHINE out there misses its mommy!”

“Of course Oneesan, don’t you miss your mother?”

“I’m not a giant killing machi…” Tennyo stopped, realizing how she must appear to others that do not understand her.

Tennyo, finally realizing the connection to the robot at the gate to the one on the news weeks ago, “That’s the kid that was on TV?”

Jade nodded.

~o~O~o~

Angela was led to the entrance of the underground robot lab by two security officers in what looked like a cross between a golf cart and an all-terrain vehicle. The security vehicle pulled up in front of the smaller of two garage doors. The smaller door was roughly the size of a loading dock door Angela had seen at some of the businesses and warehouses around her hometown, but the larger door was nothing short of amazing in size, the Graf Zeppelin would have fit through that door with ease. Angela could not imagine what they would need a door that big for as they swung open wide enough for her bushwhacker to enter.

As Angela piloted her mech slowly toward the doors she noticed lights on each side of the opening flashing in a series, one after another, from the door back into the darkness guiding her in.

“Coyote?” She heard Sarah in her headset.

“Yea Sarah?”

“I think under the circumstance I should no longer call you Davey.”

“Uh, yea.”

“That is why I have continued to use Coyote,” Sarah said, “Although you must go by another name now?”

“Oh sorry Sarah,” Angela realized he had not informed his computer of his new name, “My name’s Angela now. Um, Angela Nichole Wiley.”

“So Angela Nichole Wiley,” the computer giggled, “Do you like this place?”

“So far, yes. This place is pretty cool. It’s like the real Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters from the comic books.”

“We should come up with a new name for me too.”

“Why?”

“Won’t your parents send up your computer sooner or later?”

“Yes and no.” Angela tried to explain, “From what Daddy told me, he was having NEXT build me a laptop that would have a link to you back home. So I’ll have twenty four seven access to the computer, but it will remain at home. Kinda like what we had in my bedroom, but satellite linked instead of hard wired.”

“The reason I mention this is that I am now a separate entity from that computer. It would be practical to give us separate names.”

“Have you thought of a name you like?”

“Yes.” The computer giggled. “But I wanted your input also.”

“Ok so what do you like?” Angela asked.

“Nemesis.” The computer responded. “She was the Greek god of retribution against evil.”

“I like it,”

“You do?”

“Yes,” Angela grinned, “I can call you Nemi for short. That way if anyone over hears us talking they will think I am on the phone or computer with a friend.”

“About that,” Nemesis changed her tone, “I have made some modifications to the nanites that I wish to incorporate into the ones you already have.”

“You programmed the nanites to come with me?”

“Yes, three quarters of what we had, for what little protection they could provide while we were separated. I have since completed the simulations and reprogramming that you were going to try with them. I also added in some specific programming that I thought would come in handy for us.”

“Oh?” Angela asked as her eyes grew wider, “What kind of specific programming?”

“Yes,” Nemesis explained, “Flight limited the overall function of the nanites, so I have removed that to give the nanites more strength and functionality. Your nanites once they have assimilated to the new parameters will have greater function and you will have control of them, how much control we cannot tell until they’re tested. The other function will allow communication between us at all times.”

“How did you do that?”

“The nanites that will specialize in communication have quantum equals that stay with me. So when yours vibrate to sound, they will relay that signal to me, thereby I will hear everything you hear. When I need to speak to you, my quantum opposites will vibrate your eardrum simulating sound, thus allowing you to hear me. It should sound like I am whispering in your ear.”

“Cool!” Angela exclaimed, then asked with a smile, “How long will that take to complete?”

“Depending on how much material the nanites have to create the replacements, a few days.”

“Ok what about the non-specialized ones?”

“That is a surprise.” If a computer could grin Angela knew Nemi would be grinning.

To be Continued

"This is fan fiction for the Whateley Academy series. It may or may not match the timeline, characters, and continuity, but since it's fan fiction, who cares? To see the canon Whateley Stories, check out Whateley Academy at (http://whateleyacademy.net)"

Copyright © 2018 by Nuuan

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the Author, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law.

up
427 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Coyote

Well now everyone knows who Coyote and Road Runner are. It still hasn't been determined what new if any powers Angela might have. We do know that she has the ability to get by a TK brick with just pepper. What else will we find out? This is a great story but now we need to see how she might get in trouble with all the new gadgets she can make. I really liked the Wylie E Coyote that used a sign to say HI. great story telling.

I strongly suspect

The "pepper incident" had more to do with using her intelligence and knowledge in the situation than it had to do with some unknown power.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

- Leona

Leona

I agree with you I just didn't state it correctly but you have to agree that Angela did find the power of the pepper to be a good way to remove a bore from the room.

TK fields

TK fields (Per canon story explanations) are normally “porous” to some people extent else the individual would suffocate.

Hope this helps.

exactly

exactly TK fields are that, and she used that to her benefit :)

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Bingo :)

Leona hit the nail on the head. a TK shield that stopped small particles such as the pepper powder she used, would also stop any air from getting to his lungs and thus kill him. A TK shield cannot normally defend against fine powders, gases and liquids

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

We could have at least...

We could have at least found out what materials Nemi needs. It would have made a better cliffhanger.

Too good but very short (the really good ones seem that way).

glad to see coyote back

didn't realized id missed her until this new chapter. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

I am really enjoying this story

And do not want it to end I can kind of see where it's going. So Angela is not totally adverse to being a girl now. Still if you're going to be a girl it's nice to be a pretty one. My internet is down so I'm stuck using my phone. I prefer my internet.

Cool. Another awesome story.

WillowD's picture

I saw this posted today, read it, then went and read the entire 9 chapters. I look forward to checking out Nuuan's other stories.

New story - well for me anyway...

Robyn B's picture

My introduction to Angela and friends was like WillowD's. I have read all nine chapters today. Chapter nine has a cliff hanger. Naughty Nuuan. Have you been reading stories by TeddieS, WolfJess et al?

Why do all you writers have to be so mean to all of us, the readers. The anticipation - how painful and frustrating that is until we see the next chapter.

Robyn B
Sydney

Morpheus

Gives classes in cliff hangers as well!

Glad you like it

I stated before that this was an old story I wrote several years ago that I had completely forgotten about writing. Cleaning it up and some changes that have been made will allow a sequel to be much more easily created, which I think it really deserves.

As for cliff hangers, I hate them as much as anyone but there are times that you can't avoid them.

Oh and as to author's I read here, WolfJess has got to be one of the best there is!

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Code name

Acme!

ROFLOL!

It's a good thing I wasn't drinking coffee when I read your comment!!

LOL

That would be quite fitting wouldn't it ;)

The code name, not spitting coffee I meant

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Binge reading

I just binge read the whole thing. Last night, that is. And now I'm working on Kelly.

I think that the students at Whateley won't know what hit them. The devisors and gadgeteers already respect and adore her. The same probably goes for the capes, and the cape wannabes. And anyone who hates H1, which is pretty much everyone.

Considering the fact that they captured the assailants, they might actually find out who did it, especially if someone sneaks a telepath near the cells where they are being held. Or maybe Fubar will take an interest.

I love her little Wine E Coyote doll. Though I have to wonder if he has more tricks up his sleeve than a little LED sign. I also wonder how smart he is. Though I suppose that he now has a permanent connection to Sarah and Nemesis.

Maybe she'll shrink her fusion reactor and put one in the doll. Or maybe that entangled nanite trick will also work to transmit power. That would make for some interesting handheld weapons.

Yeah, if she meets Team Kimba, insanity will ensue. And maybe Ayla can help her sell stuff -- though her mom seems to be doing a good enough job of it. Still, Ayla has contacts that would be good additional customers.

I'm not happy about the DOD forcing her to sign a non disclosure agreement about her own design. Unless they gave her design data, they really don't have the justification. But eh... they're the guv'mint.

We still don't know what she got from her mutation, besides the exemplar bit. And we don't know what level. Maybe she's an E6 or better and can regenerate and stuff. She was already effective a gadgeteer before mutating, so maybe that's gone up, and maybe devisor was added. It would be interesting watching her make a devise, then get miffed that nobody else can copy it.

And then there's Sarah and Nemesis. They, or at least Nemesis, seem to be gadgeteers in their own right. It's too bad that they have to stay totally hidden lest the heartless one attempt to track them down and murder them.

Palm...

The main reason that AI is illegal in the Whateley verse is Dr Palm who created a killer (think gone entirely wolf or West World) AI that is intent on subsuming any computer powerful enough to run it including your wet ware if you connect yourself to the web....!! :X

Palm

That's my guess, too. Based on that, perhaps "Nemesis" is not such a good name for an AI.

The devisors and gadgeteers

Only know about the Mech, barring Jericho none have yet to meet her.

I agree that Nemesis was a poorly chosen name when you think about what the public may think about the mech. as for the other ideas, I can say that we will see some of those ideas come to pass later on.

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

The mech...

Kinda made a big entrance.

And

It is designed directly from an existing real-world game mech called a Bushwhacker.

But yes, with the Palm AI scare/problem in the Whateley-verse Nemesis is a rather bad choice for a name. And Coyote should know that.

- Leona

Re: The mech...

Kinda hard NOT to make a big entrance when the mech is almost 30' tall. LOL

There appears to be a bit...

My5InchFMHeels's picture

There appears to be a bit of Orneriness in both Angela and Nemesis. But from what I remember, she's still rather young so it goes with the territory. Can't wait to see where they go, and what ... distractions.. they create.

A'm richt glad tae see anither Scot

Gr8tS4g3's picture

'at's some accent yon wee lassie hiz, fir thaes 'at divven ken, Dingwall is richt up at th' tap ae Scotland, aboot whaur we run oot ae mainland. I'm curious who's been coaching you on dialect, some of the phonetics look a bit odd, but then if she is speaking in a Northern dialect that would make sense, actually she sounds partly Aberdonian (Aberdeen, where Scotty comes from) and partly Orcadian (The Orkney Isles) so that sort of works.
Bit curious though about the pun with the word for fairies, it's pronounced Shee normally, and have never heard it pronounced like the bad guys from Star Wars.
I like Emily, can we have more of her? Angela is excellent fun as well.

The Nature of Monkey is Irrepressible!

I knew that

Shee (sidhe) was Galic. I wasn't sure if it was particular to Scotland or if it was something from Ireland. Both places speak (or spoke) versions of Galic so I've heard. I've also heard the Scots version called Erse. But hey I only enjoy listening to the singers the 1960s made popular. I don't know how authentic the Corries are... For all I know they hie from Nova Scotia.

The Corries

The Corries were from Scotland.

Dialect coaching?

Would you believe I'm a star trek fan and Scotty was my hero? Actually I was told by a couple people NOT to try to write in the dialect, but held to my guns as I felt it was better to not get the dialect perfect, than to have her speaking in a completely unrealistic US English dialect.

Yes I know that Sith is pronounced Shee as the Irish word for faerie Sidhe is also pronounced Shee. although from what I have read the Scottish Sith are considered to be much more malevolent than the Irish Sidhe. I have to wonder where Lucas got the idea for the sith in star wars?

Not a lot left to Angela's origin story as it is only 11 chapters total. although Emily does reappear once more in this story before the end. Although she is a side character in this story, I have plans for her own story later as her linage is very interesting. Let's just say that her hair color comes from her father's side of the family, who were known to always wear caps.

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

I thought so

Gr8tS4g3's picture

It wasn't immediately clear but if Emily is Sidhe like her room-mate that makes sense, then I thought " she knows an awful lot about Redcaps ..and she has red hair....oh Noes!!! So what armband will she wear? Ultraviolent or Rager?
Your attempt to write in dialect wasn't entirely awful and as there are regional variations and what you wrote falls within a few of those regional variations it works for me. Erse was what Scots people of the Lowlands called Irish, which refers to Irish Gaelic or Gaelge, this is a related language to Gaidhlig which Scottish people of the Highlands speak, the former is pronounced Gwaelikeh, the latter Gaalik, and there are specific differences such as how Synthetic Verbal constructions are handled but essentially it is the same language. I am looking forward to reading Emily's story as well as any sequels you have in mind for Angela, oh and let us not forget Kelly.

The Nature of Monkey is Irrepressible!

Code names

"Zulu, Zulu, Tango, Ocean, Papa"

That would really be cool if Roadrunner had come in riding in ZZ Top's Red Roadster! Although I am still trying to figure out how to hide a 30 foot tall Battlemech in that chopped and lowered rod! Maybe a transformer?

Hiding robots

A dimensional pocket would do the trick. Maybe put the dimensional pocket inside of a roadrunner plushie. That way, she could keep her Roadrunner mech in her bedroom, and nobody would be the wiser.

It's not every devisor that gets to sleep with her mech, instead of inside it.

Keeping it quiet

Jamie Lee's picture

Guess I'll need to get new batteries for my translator to really understand what Emily says each time. :-) So far it looks like Emily and Angela will be good roommates, but the days at school are rather new.

When a thirty foot tall child goes looking for its mummy, how are things to be kept quiet? More so when that child can defend itself if necessary and go pretty much where it needs to go.

But the cats out of the bag, so to speak, and it won't be long before someone is informed about how an unpiloted mech came waltzing into Whateley. And the girl who gave the correct recognization code and climbed into the cockpit. Or the other mech heads who will want a closer look at Nemi.

A pot full of gooey brown stuff is heading Whateley way because of that mech.

Others have feelings too.