The Voyage of the Visund -9-

Printer-friendly version

The party have arrived in Joth and are taken to the Duke's mansion, where Duchess Fanis has prepared rooms for them. There are lots of questions over recent events and those in the know struggle to keep secrets.

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

9 - The Duke's Mansion


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2018 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



A conversation, dimly heard. The pain in her head was indescribable but she still listened.

"What do you mean, Eriana? Earth, did you say? Why should earth make this poor woman fall over?"

"Fanis, I thought you knew. No matter, we must see to her safety. Wallesan, is there a cart or something we may use to take her to your mansion?"

"Aye, they have brought several for our baggage. You there! We require healers at the mansion, immediately!"

"At once, Your Grace."

Eriana again: "Tor, see to the men's lodging."

"As you command, Highness."

"Wallesan? If I may give the men some coin, to pay for meals."

A laugh. "And beer, you mean? Of course. Here. Tell Tor to forward the bill for the hostel to the mansion."

There was a bustle and a delay, and then she was gently lifted into what she assumed was one of the two-wheel carts used for light loads everywhere she had been. She lay on something soft, possibly a blanket or a cloak. The cart rattled and bumped along darkened streets, the night lanterns glowing and fading through her closed eyelids. From the sidewalks there came cries of astonishment and some cheers, as people out late recognized their liege returning to his domain.

Fanis said, "Is this wise, Wallesan? Should we not have treated her where she was? Taking her like this takes time and her condition may worsen!"

Maralin tried to reassure her. "Your Grace, we have knowledge of this illness. She will be safest in the Duke's mansion."

Her eyes opened, to stare at the strip of night sky that showed between the crowded, ancient buildings lining the street.

Maralin noticed and placed a hand on her arm. "Rest easy, Mistress. We must get you to a place of safety. You know nothing about where you are now and even a well-run city like Joth can be dangerous. Rest, and let us take you somewhere where you may relax in peace and comfort. Our traveling is over for now."

Eriana, on the other side, placed a hand on Ursula's other arm. "Maralin has wise words, Ursula. You are safe enough now, there are men and women here with swords who will defend you to the death if needs be, but the middle of a darkened street in a strange city is no place to have a conversation."

"I don't understand," she said hazily, trying to focus on Eriana. "You spoke of Earth. It must have meant something to me but I do not know what."

Eriana glanced at Maralin before answering. "Your memory has not returned, then?"

"No... but my head is very painful. It feels like something inside is pulling it apart." Her tone became plaintive. "How long will it be before my memory comes, do you know?"

"It was five days for me," Maralin said. "Of course, since we have only two occurrences to go on, it could be shorter or longer for you. Rest now, I see the mansion ahead. Soon we will have you in a comfortable chair with a mug of pel. It is the best reviver, believe me."

"This is not the last time? O boje! I have to go through this again?"

Maralin's eyes narrowed. "What did you just say, Mistress?"

"What?" She was confused. "I don't know. I have to do this again?"

"Never mind."

There was a brief passage through some kind of arch and then welcoming lights. She rose on one elbow to see that they had entered a courtyard surrounded by buildings, a courtyard smaller than those at the hostels but still wide enough to turn a carriage in. Over the arch and to her left, and also ahead of her, the buildings were of three stories with a medieval look about them. To the left, another archway led through under a two-story building which looked much newer. Behind, as she was helped from the cart, she noticed an immense structure that rose much higher, but the impression was that it was just one large hall.

Around the edge of the courtyard stood perhaps forty or fifty people, who all waved and cheered as they saw their liege stand forward. There was a group of perhaps ten men dressed as Maralin was, in blue and white, while some others wore long undyed aprons. She winced from the noise, but it soon quieted as he raised a hand for silence.

"My people! Men!" Wallesan looked around at the eager faces and smiled. "Friends!"

That raised another cheer, but the Duke raised his hand again.

"I have - finally - returned to my mansion, after almost a year either living in Thorn or traveling away from Joth to Palarand. I see that you have all accomplished much while I was away, and no doubt you were grateful that I was not here to poke about and interfere with your good works!"

That brought a round of laughter. He continued, "Now that I am back, it seems that there might be matters that require my attention, so I have no intention of straying from Joth for a while again, at least not until after the rains! If I did think to wander far, I doubt not that the Duchess will have some strong words to say to me! Now, our journey today was difficult and the days before that even more so. It is late, we are all tired, and some of us have injuries, so by your leave I desire to spend the evening quietly.

"Before we go in I may draw your attention to Her Highness Princess Eriana of Palarand, who some of you may remember from last year as the leader of the Einnland Regiment which recovered Boldan's Rock for our allies. She brought us home on her ship the Visund, together with most of the brave men who went with her to Forguland. She will be our honored guest for some few days before they sail again.

"For those of you who must needs have words with me, I will conduct a court tomorrow morning... Fanis, shall it be in the Great Hall?"

"Husband, the Great Hall is not yet fit for use, the men are still finishing the decorations.. You will have to make some other arrangement."

He shrugged. "We'll manage. And now, if you would let us retire. The Duchy has survived some months without me, I am sure it can survive one more night. We must go in, and with us our wounded."

Semma propped Ursula with one arm over her shoulder as she led her towards an entrance doorway, one of the doors darkened with age, the other raw wood and newly fitted.

Fanis came forward. "If you would take her to our sitting room, please. I think it would be the best place for now."

The Duke grunted. "The sitting room? I'm assuming that it is where it was before?"

His wife chuckled. "I may have made some changes, dear, but the downstairs remains much as it was. Upstairs? Well, you will see. I hope you approve the changes that were suggested."

Maralin helped Ursula to climb the steps. "Um, Your Grace? I do not know where your sitting room is. When I last came here, the household section was a charred ruin."

Fanis started. "Oh! Yes, of course, Maralin. If you would follow me."

Two liveried servants at the doorway bowed to Wallesan and Fanis before pulling the doors wide. Inside, the corridor was airy, well-lit and smelled of newly-sawn wood and fresh paint. Fanis led them a short way and then opened more double doors, gesturing for Maralin to help Ursula in. He did so, discovering a fair sized sitting room with all new furniture, the chairs and settees grouped around a fireplace in which a banked fire smoldered.

It was plainly obvious which chairs belonged to the owners of the mansion, so he chose a settee and allowed Ursula to sink on it. He perched himself down on the edge of the seat beside her.

"Still hurting?"

"Very much so. I wish this were finished with."

"As do we." He looked frustrated, Ursula saw. "Mistress, there is no real point explaining very much to you until your memory comes back, so what we do and say is going to seem a bit strange to you for now. Once your memory does come back, well, then we'll have to start out afresh, as though you are newly arrived, so to speak."

"Will I remember any of this? I mean, the journey on the river and staying at that house?"

Maralin nodded. "You will, but because it is all very recent you might not remember the fine detail. Enough will remain, it did for me."

By then all the others had entered and were standing around waiting for Wallesan and Fanis to sit down. They did so, taking no notice of the fact that Maralin was already seated beside Ursula. Two women came into the room and curtseyed to Wallesan.

"Your Grace, welcome home. If I may ask, have we come to the right place? There was a call for healers down at the docks but when we arrived we were directed to follow you here."

"That is correct, Senia. Your patient is on the settee there beside Tenant Maralin."

The healer crouched and inspected Ursula's face, paying close attention to her eyes. "If you would tell me what is wrong, Mistress."

Maralin decided to explain. "If I may, Mistress. Mistress Ursula is suffering a particular problem because of an... accident... she has recently had, which has meant that she has lost her memory. She gets periodic headaches which are an indication that her memory is about to return. Sometimes the headaches are powerful. What she needs now is a little of that green stuff, since we were forced to make a hasty departure this morning and she has had none today."

"Accident? Lost her memory?"

"Aye, Mistress. I suffered exactly the same way about five months ago so I can tell you what is needed here. It is a rare ailment that strikes very few people."

Senia regarded Maralin with suspicion but he seemed to be in earnest. She looked at the Duke who nodded agreement.

"Senia, for now you will have to accept what we say. This particular problem usually lasts about five days or so, it should resolve itself tomorrow."

"As you desire, Your Grace." Her brow furrowed. "If I may ask, why is it that I have not heard of this ailment before?"

"As Tenant Maralin explained, it is very rare. Please, your patient is in pain and desires your help."

Senia reluctantly dipped into her basket and pulled out the jar of green stuff. Ursula saw it and let out a sigh of relief, which encouraged the healer. A dose was administered and Ursula sank back into her seat, closing her eyes.

"Your Grace, this is most irregular."

"I understand your concern, Senia, but for this you will have to accept my word. We wondered if the crisis would be tonight, it seems now that it should happen tomorrow instead. Shall you attend us in the morning? I would not want to keep you from your other patients."

"Your Grace, I have learned that there are many on the newly arrived ship with injuries of various kinds. If you would give me leave to arrange for the work to be shared, I will probably be able to attend tomorrow morning at about the third bell or so."

"Done. We will expect you then."

Senia stood, curtseyed, picked up her basket and departed.

Fanis gave her husband a smile. "Everything has been running smoothly while you were away, Wal. I knew that things would start to happen when you returned but not this."

Wallesan gave her an embarrassed wave. "Ah, our voyage was not a straightforward one, my dear. First we discovered our newest friend, Ursula, on a mud bank in the river, and the next day we were attacked by the largest gogon I have ever seen. Not that anyone has ever seen that many, of course. Then, because of the attack, we were forced to spend last night at an out-of-the-way village which, just by chance, you must understand, had a certain Duke Jarwin staying with the local lord."

He grimaced. "He has lost none of his ways, despite the lesson which Garia taught him last year. The evening was almost acceptable, the night definitely not. Maker!" He ran a hand through his hair. "That was less than a day ago! Has so much happened?"

Eriana laughed. "Wallesan, this is very much the life that I lead, unfortunately. It seems that you have become entangled in my fate, at least partially. Fanis, I deem that the girls and I will want to change before we eat this evening."

Fanis started. "Oh! Of course, Eriana. Yes, I must needs show you to your rooms... when I have discovered who is here and has need of rooms! Maralin, there is a chamber set aside for you but it is upstairs at the near end of the barracks wing. We must needs have a talk soon about what you wish to do once you are wed to Renita."

"Thank you, Your Grace," Maralin replied. "For now, a simple chamber will do for me, but we have Ursula to consider. I should be somewhere nearby for a day or two until she regains her memory and understands what is happening here."

The Duchess nodded. "There is a guest chamber on the main corridor, near to yours, which should suffice. Ah, that brings another question, does it not? Will Ursula require a maid, do you think?"

All the arrivals looked at one another. Eriana summed up their problem.

"Fanis, we do not know what the future holds for Ursula. It seems that Wallesan and Maralin hold information to which I am not privy."

They could hear the edge in her voice, and Maralin felt his cheeks flush.

Eriana continued, "Tonight, if the girls are willing, I think we may proceed as we did on the Visund. If Bennet will go with Ursula, and attend to her needs tonight, and Semma will attend to mine. Any more permanent arrangement can thus be delayed until we know what we are dealing with."

Fanis thought. "That will make the allocations easier, Eriana. Who else have we to satisfy, then? Ah, Lord Kalmenar, I believe your name was?"

"That is correct, Your Grace. As I will be continuing along the river with Her Highness, you should consider me as being a visitor rather than a possible resident here, so a modest chamber will be all that I should need."

Fanis smiled at Kalmenar. "This is the mansion of the Duke of Joth, so few of our chambers could be described as modest, My Lord, but I understand you. Yes, we can provide such a chamber for you."

Wallesan looked at Hambran. "Captain, I am certain that you desire to be reunited with your wife and family. You have our permission to withdraw."

Hambran stood and saluted. "Thank you, Your Grace. If I may speak of military matters?"

The Duke shook his head. "Not tonight, Hambran, you have done enough for now. Go, enjoy your reunion and I will speak to you during court tomorrow morning."

"As you wish, Your Grace. And... thank you." Hambran saluted again and left the room.

Ursula stirred and opened her eyes. "Eriana, I think I have to lie down somewhere for a while."

Eriana looked at Fanis. Bennet and Semma jumped to their feet. Maralin raised an eyebrow at Wallesan.

"Aye," the Duke nodded, "perhaps this would be the right time for us all to find our chambers and get cleaned up, change and relax until our meal is ready. Maralin, you will not need to wear your uniform again while you are within my house."

"Thank you, Your Grace. It is, as always, a privilege to wear the colors but plain clothing may be preferable... given the circumstances."

Everybody stood and Fanis led the way to the door. "If you would all follow me. Once we have found you all chambers, I will see that your chests are sent up."

Beside the entrance hallway a broad stair led up to the upper floor. At the top, a corridor ran in both directions, that to the right ending after a short distance in a T-junction. Fanis first led the group to the junction and then right again.

Fanis explained, for the benefit of the others, "This part of the mansion is actually one end of the armsmens' accommodation. From the further end of this corridor, and on the floor above, there is direct access to the city walls."

She indicated a door beside another stairway that led both up and down.

"Maralin, I believe that this will be the closest for you. I chose it originally to ensure that you were nearby should Wallesan require your thoughts, but you will also be near to the chamber I will assign to Mistress Ursula."

Maralin took a quick look inside before nodding. "Thank you, Your Grace. If I may see where everybody else will be staying."

"Surely, Maralin. Come this way, then."

Fanis led them back to the junction and stopped almost immediately.

"Lord Kalmenar, there are two small suites here over the carriage arch, one each side, designed for single male travelers. You may choose whichever may suit, both have been prepared for use tonight since I was not sure how many accompanied Her Highness."

"Your Grace, you are too kind." Kalmenar looked briefly into both suites and returned to the corridor. "Your Grace, it matters not, they are both excellently furnished and there is nothing to choose between them. Therefore, I will take the first, this one."

"Done, My Lord."

Fanis turned to a waiting footman and issued instructions to begin bringing up their chests before moving to the landing at the top of the stairs. She stopped at a doorway to her right.

"Mistress Ursula, Mistress Bennet, this will be your suite. It was designed for a noblewoman traveling with a maid, so should have all the facilities that you need."

Inside was a room laid out in a way that Maralin recognized, with a four-poster bed at the far side of a chamber that could be divided by curtains at need. Doors either side of the bed presumably led to bathing chamber and dressing room. On the near side were a settee and two armchairs in front of a fireplace, cold now. Either side of the fireplace was a door, one of which proved to be the maid's quarters, the other, a toilet closet.

Ursula simply climbed onto the bed, arranged herself on top of the bedspread and closed her eyes. Bennet looked at the others and shrugged.

Fanis spoke in a low voice. "Mistress Bennet, we will leave you in peace now, but remember that your chests will be brought up shortly. Someone will come to warn you a quarter bell before the meal is ready."

Bennet curtseyed. "Thank you, Your Grace."

Outside in the corridor again Fanis smirked at Wallesan. "And now, husband, let me show you what our clever carpenters have wrought." She turned to Maralin and Kalmenar, who had accompanied them so far. "Gentlemen, I regret that I may show you the door to our suite, but tonight you must needs stray no further. I find that I need to give my husband a proper welcome home."

Maralin smiled faintly. "Indeed, Your Grace. I would expect nothing less."

"Ah! I am forgetting. When Heris arrives up here with the the chests, ask him to take you to the kitchens. You have a reunion of your own to complete, I deem."

Renita! I have been away for a long while. What will she think of me now? Only one way to find out.

Maralin bowed. "Thank you, Your Grace."

* * *

Maralin followed the footman along the corridor and into a large lobby. Facing him was set of double doors that looked as if they went outside, to his right was another set that were open. Through them he could just see a large darkened space. The footman turned left, through a third set of double doors.

Here was a fair-sized ante-room, with shelves, cupboards and tables. From the staff busily setting out cutlery and plates it seemed that this was part of the service area for the kitchen, which appeared to be through further double doors at the far end. Nodding his thanks to the footman, he studied those who were in the service room and then set off for the kitchen.

"Maralin!"

The voice was a shout over the clatter of staff busy preparing the evening meal. A small female figure in an apron put down the pot she was carrying and almost ran towards him. When she got close enough, however, she slowed to a stop and regarded him uncertainly.

"It is you? You are back?"

He smiled. "Renita, I would like to tell you that I came back to be with you, but you know that the Duke has returned and I have come with him. Like the Duke, I am now here to stay."

"Do you still..." She trailed off.

He opened his arms. "Come here. I understand what you must be feeling, but no, I haven't been seduced by those wicked Palarandi women. If I came back for anyone, I came back for you."

She started off slowly but by the end her arms were tight around his waist, her head pressed against his chest. His arms, in turn, had closed around her body.

"Welcome home, Maralin," she said softly. "I know that you must needs serve the Duke but sometimes it has been hard, with you away."

"I will admit that I haven't thought about you all the time," he said, "but that was because we are fighting off river monsters or getting away from randy Dukes."

She looked up at him. "What?"

At that moment the Head Cook joined them, wiping his hands on a towel. "Well met, Tenant. So you have had an exciting journey home, I hear. Shall you tell us?"

"Oh, I have no doubt it will be all over the mansion by tomorrow," Maralin replied. "But I'll be around to tell you all the real story, straight from the horse's... I mean, the frayen's mouth. So, Master Farren, back in the full routine now?"

"Aye, Maralin, and this newly refitted kitchen is a joy to work in. Your suggestions were argued against by the carpenters -"

"I remember."

"- but we got our way in the end. Will you be visiting us with more of those recipes and tips?"

"Ah, well," he said, looking down at Renita, "the Duke has visitors and I'll have to attend them. I'll try to fit in some visits here, though, but I can't promise you when."

Farren said, "I suppose you'll be wanting to walk out with Renita some times, then?"

"If you will give her leave, Master Farren, then yes I would. I would like that very much."

The Head Cook smiled. "Contented staff is what I desire in my kitchens, Tenant, so what makes Renita contented will suit me well. Aye, you may walk out with her but, I beg you, not at meal times, not with the Duke returned!" There was a clatter behind him and raised voices. He turned. "Turis, watch what you are doing! Fess, that pot is about to boil over!" He turned back to Maralin and rolled his eyes. "All is normal here, as you may see. Now, if I may have Renita back..."

"Of course. I have to go and unpack, anyway. I'll drop by later, if I may."

The kiss was brief, but all the more powerful because of the enforced separation. Maralin walked back into the main part of the mansion with shaking legs.

* * *

The meal had been a quiet one, in the family dining room. This was a much smaller space than the one in Robanar's palace, but there would still have been room to comfortably seat twenty people. The servants were silent and efficient, perhaps wanting to show their liege that the restored mansion was up and running as he would have expected.

Most of those eating kept looking around at their surroundings, since this was one of the rooms the artisans and decorators had concentrated on when the builders were putting the mansion back together. Wallesan, Hambran and Maralin had last seen the building as a cold, half burned-out ruin whilst Eriana, Ursula, Kalmenar, Bennet and Semma had never even visited the city before.

"Do you like what you see, Eriana?" Fanis asked the Princess as she craned her neck at one point.

"I am impressed, Fanis, at the abilities of your decorators. I would not dare to compare this house with the King's palace but the craftsmanship is much better than anything known in Einnland."

"As you say, Eriana. They have made a special effort to replace what was lost when the invaders came, to make it worthy again to be a Duke's residence." She paused. "There may be some guilt over the way we were thrown out of our own homes, I deem. That may have driven our people."

Wallesan grunted. "Aye. I trust that events like that will never happen again, now that we have our Federation."

Fanis frowned. "You must tell me more, Wal. I know that you have written me several letters about this Federation but there are things that puzzle me."

The Duke waved a hand. "Both Eriana and Maralin were there with me, my dear, so I am sure that between us we may answer your questions."

At the end of the meal the party moved across the corridor to the sitting room. Most used the same seats they had chosen before.

Maralin spoke to Ursula. "How are you feeling now, Mistress?"

She smiled at him. "Much better, thank you. I don't know what that green stuff was but it does help. I think eating something has also made a big difference. And you were right about the tea. It does wonders for one's state of mind."

"Tea?" Fanis asked. "What do you mean, dear, tea?"

Maralin explained, "I would guess that tea is the nearest equivalent on Earth to pel here, Your Grace. It is used the same way, although the herbs in it must be completely different." He had a thought and turned to Ursula. "What do you remember about tea, Mistress?"

She looked puzzled. "I don't know, it was just the word that came to me. Why did it sound different when I said it? There was another word I used earlier that sounded different as well."

Maralin glanced at Wallesan and then shook his head. There was an explanation, but not to be given in front of all those present.

"It must be something to do with your returning memory, Mistress. Tell me, after your other attacks you usually remembered something. Can you tell us what it was this time?"

She thought. "There were rows of seats, with people sitting in them. It was noisy. The clothes were strange, but maybe I was dressed that way as well. I don't know."

"Rows of seats? How many rows? Were the seats all facing the same way, or each other? Were there aisles between them? One aisle or more than one?"

Ursula's face showed surprise at the number of detailed questions Maralin asked. "Well... all the same way, I think. And there was only one aisle, with maybe two... or was it three? seats on each side."

"Hmm. That sound like it could have been a coach, or a bus, or even a plane. Oh, I know! What about the windows? Were they big or small, round or square?"

Ursula concentrated. "Round, I think, or maybe sort of oval. Is that what you mean? And smallish. Oh! I was sitting beside one of the windows, that was it! I could look out and see the Earth below. That was why I thought of the Earth, then."

"Ah! That explains it. Mistress, you were sitting in an airplane." Maralin looked at the others, most of whom had blank expressions. "Uh, this is something that ought to be left, Your Grace," he said, addressing Wallesan. "I know everybody is curious, but it would perhaps be better if this conversation was left to another day."

The Duke caught on. "Until she regains her memory, do you mean? Aye, I would agree."

Ursula looked from one to the other but knew that anything said would be meaningless until her memory fully returned. She could also see the tension in those sitting around her, some of which she understood, some apparently from causes she did not know.

"Your Grace," she said to Wallesan, "I think it might be a good idea for me to go and rest in my room. The last few days have been very strange and there has been much that I found confusing."

"Mistress, you have my complete agreement! There is much that we have all found confusing. I would not wish you to stay if you desire to rest, of course you may go. Eriana? If Bennet and Semma may go with Mistress Ursula."

"Of course, Wallesan. Girls, go and relax, unpack your chests. I will call for Semma when I come up later."

The two guardswomen came to their feet, and curtseyed first to Eriana and then to Wallesan. Maralin helped Ursula up from the settee and the three women left the room. Once the door had closed behind them, Eriana put a question that had been near the surface of her mind ever since the day they had sailed from Dekarran.

"Your Grace, now that we have arrived, and are fed and settled, I require an answer to my questions." She fixed Wallesan with a stare. "The first one must be, what happened to Garia that day?"

"Yes, Wal," Fanis agreed. "What has happened to Princess Garia? I have yet to meet the young woman who promises to bring so much change to the Great Valley. I think you said that, the next time you went to Palarand, we would go together so that I could meet her."

"The simple truth, Fanis, Eriana," Wallesan replied heavily, "is that I cannot tell you. For two reasons, really, the first being that I have no idea where she might be or what she is doing, and the second being that certain people, including Maralin and myself, have given oaths not to speak of certain matters surrounding her departure."

"Departure?" Fanis echoed. "She has left Palarand, then? And so soon after her wedding? Yet I know that Prince Keren remains, since I have had letters from him since the wedding, so what might be so important that she must needs go by herself? Or has she companions with her, as Eriana does?"

"All I can tell you both is that she has in all likelihood left Anmar, at the request of those who brought her here originally. Where she has gone or for what purpose I could not say."

"Anmar? What do you mean, Wal? She can't just have flown away, that would be absurd!"

Wallesan sighed. "Fanis, this is a secret that has been known in Joth until now by just three people who are Maralin, myself and Renita, by virtue of her relationship with Maralin. It was necessary to keep it that way since we are so close to Yod and there was considerable danger, should the truth be known. In Palarand, matters are somewhat different because of the way that Princess Garia arrived. You see, both Garia and Maralin, together with a young man named Yves Perriard, are not originally of this world but from another, a world named Earth." He grimaced, with a quick look at Maralin. "There are proofs that they come from somewhere else entirely, my dear. Their origin may not be questioned."

"From another world? Wal, you're making a joke, surely?" She looked at his face, and then at Maralin. "Is it true, Maralin?"

"Aye, Your Grace, it is true. The world I come from is an interesting place, perhaps, but it is nothing like this one. We are more developed than countries in the Great Valley. I have knowledge - we all have knowledge - that could be extremely dangerous if not managed properly. Do you remember when Prince Keren came to Thorn?" Fanis nodded. "On his way through he learned that someone had used the word gun and that was me. I met him - and you - when he returned from Forguland and that's when I found out about Garia... uh, Princess Garia, and when he found out about me."

"Guns..." Fanis mused. "But, surely, guns came from Yod! Did not those of Yod invent them?"

"Indeed not," Wallesan told her. "The third person I mentioned, Yves Perriard, appeared in Yod the same way as Maralin appeared here and Garia appeared in Palarand. It seems that those of Yod tortured the knowledge of guns from him some time ago. Regrettably he was killed in that attack on Keren and Garia in Palarand last year, when they were returning to the city."

Fanis was bewildered. "But why? What is the purpose of all this?"

Maralin took up the story. "We think it is intended to help the countries of the Great Valley develop, Your Grace. We bring ideas and knowledge from Earth, knowledge of two hundred years of advancement. Palarand is already unrecognizable and Joth will be the same in time. The point His Grace is making is, we didn't get here by ourselves. Somebody or something, creatures unseen that we call the Beings for short, brought us here for some purpose of their own. We also suppose that those same Beings have now taken Garia... uh, Princess Garia away again."

Eriana leaned forward, her face intent. "Do you know how long she will be away, Wallesan?"

"Eriana, I cannot say. Do not press me, I beg of you. I know little more than you do."

She sat back, but her expression showed that she was unconvinced. "Is she safe?"

"Eriana, I cannot say. How could I? Please, let this matter be. All I may add is that we... have had assurances that she will return to Palarand at some time later this year, but no date has yet been determined."

Her eyes dropped. "Thank you, Wallesan. You are right, I should know better than to ask such questions, especially when oaths have been given. Forgive me, it is the reaction of someone who cares for a close friend."

Wallesan gave a reassuring smile. "We are all concerned for her safety, Eriana."

Fanis shook her head. "This is all so amazing! It will take me some time to understand the significance of all this, Wal. But I think you want it to remain secret, is that so?"

"Please, Fanis. With due respect to Maralin, he is not as well-known or well-loved in Joth as Garia is in Palarand. If there are rumors..." he shrugged, "there could be problems for him, and he is important to us. To the Federation. Doubtless all will learn in time, when they have become used to the idea."

Eriana said, "But Ursula is another! She has also come from Earth, which we call the mother world in Einnland."

"Aye," Wallesan agreed, "but there are significant differences with her arrival, compared to that of the others we know about. I cannot overstate that, Eriana. Garia, Maralin and perhaps Yves were left to be discovered by passers-by who were ignorant of whom and what they were. Ursula, however, was intended to be found by us, I am certain, the only people along the river who have knowledge of Earth and those who have arrived from there. She is meant to be here in Joth, I deem, where we can look after her and advise her once her memory returns."

"As you say," Eriana agreed, but slowly. "I do not like being the plaything of creatures I cannot see or touch - or test with the edge of my blade."

"A thought," Maralin said into the silence. "It might be a good idea, Your Grace, to increase the guard about your mansion tonight. If her memory returns before breakfast, and she wanders off..."

"Indeed! Maralin, again you prove your worth. Fanis, you have managed the household these several months, find me whoever is in charge tonight and bring him here. With everybody in residence it will be worth considering our precautions tonight anyway, and Maralin has a good point. We did not bring her here at great risk just to lose her again."

Fanis smiled. "Of course, Wal." She rose and crossed to the newly-hung ropes beside the fireplace and pulled one.

A tenant appeared, knocking respectfully at the door before entering. He saluted Wallesan and gave Maralin a nod before looking curiously at the others.

"Your Grace, if I may welcome you back to your home."

"Thank you, Parnal. As you can see, I have brought some guests home with me to stay for a while."

"Your Grace, it has been noticed."

Wallesan smiled. "Of course it has. Now, did you notice three women, who are not present now?"

"Aye, Your Grace, it was reported to me that they went up the main stairs a few moments ago."

"Very well. Two of them are guardswomen of King Robanar, so mind your manners around them." He grinned. "In the coming days, you may find out how a woman may be a warrior, since they will be training with us."

Parnal's eyebrows rose. "Your Grace, I have heard the exploits of Her Highness, naturally, they are the talk of the whole city, but I did not know there were others with such abilities. With your permission, I will warn the men."

"As you will. Now the third is not a guardswoman but a special guest of mine. Unfortunately, she has lost her memory and this means that she may waken and wander off, not knowing where she is or what dangers there may be in the mansion or city. I want you to station men at the ends of the central corridor, such that they may safely and gently prevent her from leaving and thus becoming lost, or accidentally coming to harm."

Parnal thought. "I know just the men for such duty, Your Grace, though at least one will grumble at being on duty tonight." He nodded. "Leave it with me, Your Grace. We will keep her safe."

"Thank you, Parnal. You may go."

The tenant saluted again and left.

Fanis leaned forward. "Now, husband, if we may not discuss our unusual guest or related matters, you must tell me all about this strange federation I see mentioned in all your letters. What meaning has it for Joth?"

* * *

Maralin firmly closed the door of his chamber and stood for a long while in thought. Finally, shaking his head, he went to his chest and brought out three objects, a small glass ball and two dishes made of different metal alloys. These three objects he placed on his night stand and then sat on the edge of the bed, staring at them in thought. Eventually, he picked up the glass ball and dropped it gently into one of the two dishes and waited.

He did not know how long he sat there, but the building was quiet now, near midnight. Someone came past, in the corridor outside, most likely one of the guards posted to keep an eye on Ursula. A glow caught his eye as the mansion quieted again and he turned to locate the source. It happened dimly at first and then brightened rapidly.

In the glare was a bizarre creature, a strange apparition of frilly fronds that waved atop a thick stalk with stubby feet around the base. He recognized it as a hologram but not what it was, nor what its function was.

It spoke with a hollow, artificial voice. "This is most irregular. We are not trained for these interactions. The one who you want to talk to is not here. It has gone to the other world with... the Solid called Garia."

"Thank you for taking the time to come here," Maralin said softly. "I know you are very busy but there are questions I have to ask, and if Senusret isn't here then you'll have to do. What I want to ask about is the new arrival, who is sleeping nearby."

The fronds waved with what Maralin thought was a level of agitation. "We warned that this would happen! What do you need to know? You know I cannot promise answers."

"Simple, really. Was it intended that people who know about you should find her? Everybody else has just been left somewhere to work things out for themselves."

The apparition froze in such away that Maralin thought it must have gone away for advice. Soon, it resumed activity and responded.

"You are correct. You and the other who knows of us were intended to find the new Solid. I can tell you some minor details, but nothing of its future. An opportunity was noticed on the other world and taken. Probabilities were examined and certain advantages were discovered, just as in your own case. For that reason it was brought here and delivered."

So, just like me, eh? Not part of the Grand Plan, then.

"Thank you again. I have no further questions. It is unlikely that I will be calling you again, not until Garia returns. I just wanted to make sure that no mistake had been made, or that we were supposed to do something specific."

"You are correct," it said again. "The actions taken so far were deliberate and accord with the chosen probability." It hesitated. "If you use your own judgment and proceed as normal the correct outcome is most likely to occur. I will leave you now."

The glow faded, so that in a very short time it was almost dark again, the only illumination a little moonlight seeping through the cracks around the window shutters. Maralin sighed, carefully packed away the ball and dishes and went to bed.

up
250 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

7K words go so fast

Thanks for the new posting. I'm hoping next time we find out about Ursula's past/skills. Sounds like she was plucked from a sure death plane crash.

Assumptions!

Life isn't that easy, I'm afraid.

To begin with, the transferees we have encountered so far have been hazy about their movements before departure. I suspect that Ursula will be no different. Don't assume that a flight on a plane is a memory from near or at her death, it is just a random memory surfacing.

Secondly, Ursula will be unlike anyone you have come across before. You will learn certain things, it is true, but she is a much more complex character than Garia or Maralin.

In other words, don't hold your breath.

Thank you for reading,

Penny

Works for Me

Thanks for the response. I don't mind if my guesses are wrong. If the answers are more complex and take longer to be revealed, all the better.

Universal truth

Even in the land of the VMB the phone will always ring at the most inopportune time.

Well, that is truly

Well, that is truly interesting that Maralin has a communication device with those who places the various humans on Anmar. I don't remember Garia having such a device, I thought she could contact them via her mind?
Wonder if Urulsa was sent to setup Garia's return?

They arranged a kind of

They arranged a kind of signal, not necessarily a communications device but a sequence of events that is unlikely to happen normally.

Something so unlikely to occur as a random thing

LibraryGeek's picture

I can see how that could work.

You can't be monitoring in detail all the time, it's just not feasible.

But a low level surveillance, that could be done. One that would send out an alert for an operator to intervene if certain predefined events were observed.

So you devise, as a signal that you need to communicate with someone, a sequence of events that just aren't going to happen without deliberate intent, and which accomplish absolutely nothing in and of themselves so that no one would do them just for the sake of doing them. Make sure they aren't an aid to meditation or exercise, just to be on the safe side.

Having them involve easily portable but rather odd items that have no useful purpose but have to be manufactured is just the frosting on the cake, as it were. As there is no market for them, no one is going to create them except as a special commission.

Just make sure that their design doesn't look too aesthetically pleasing, so that they don't find a market as art objects.

On the other hand, if they had a market as art objects that required all the components to be present, but where combining them in the manner required isn't something that anyone would normally consider doing, would allow you to have copies spread all over the place and make a profit while doing so... In which case you wouldn't need to worry about misplacing your set, you'd be able to lay your hands on a replacement so long as you were in the vicinity of an authorized merchant.

Yours,

John Robert Mead

Talking to the VMBs

Garia can communicate directly with the VMBs as she has begun (barely) the process which will end in her becoming one herself.

Maralin, so far as we know, is unlikely to follow in her footsteps.

Since Maralin and Wallesan have been separated, so to speak, from the rest of those 'in the know', the VMBs have provided them with a simple call device. It is entirely possible that the call device can operate in both directions if required.

Ursula, well, she will have a number of different purposes, as seen by the VMBs.

Penny

Another

Excellent chapter which I read entirely too quickly! Thanks for sharing Penny. No I don't think that the plane is part of how Ursula died. But it might be an important clue as to 'her' former life!

Great Story

Kathy Leigh's picture

Once again we get another superb story with wonderful details and of course another cliff hanger about Ursala's awakening

Love it Penny. Don't ever stop

Hugs,

Kathy

Lots of little hints but nothing substantial

BarbieLee's picture

Ursula is an unknown dropped in on Amari. Unlike the other thousands of other transfers over the centuries. Seems as if the Beings might be getting their act together on selecting certain persons for specific tasks rather than a balance such as Garia who was tossed in to balance a war.
I'm guessing Ursula was chosen specifically rather than a random drawing?

Good attention to detail and the story flows smoothly without any gaps or jumps.
Excellent wordsmith skills in telling of the tale where we are pulled in with the actors and actresses.
always,
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

What a delightful chapter

Vast potential vistas open up.

A little something in there suggests to me that Ursula may be of Polish, possibly even Russian, extract. A nice touch that, Penny.

I have updated the chapter links, now I need to do the more complicated Index updates.

Thanks for a great continuation.

Edit: Index now updated

Still

Ursula must have some abilities the aliens deem important, which we will find out in due time. Still loving the story.

O Boje!

joannebarbarella's picture

That is a clue to Ursula's origin. Unfortunately I know nothing of Polish or Russian so it's a clue that went right over my head.

I guess I'll just have to wait until Penny enlightens us. It doesn't really matter as it doesn't stop me from enjoying the story.

Ursula being from eastern

Ursula being from eastern Europe or Eastern European descent does not eliminate a lot of possibilities, just adds some. Not going to speculate on her past much.

It will be interesting to see different perspectives on the federation.

it will be interesting to see

it will be interesting to see Uniform design, its gotta be a balance between having useful things like pockets, and being easy to fabricate.

You forgot...

Aine Sabine's picture

To show where Eriana and Semma where staying! LOL!

I think it is more likely she is needed on the boat instead. Partially because the story is about the Voyage of the Visund. That means on the boat. Now the question is how is Maralin gonna end up Sailing on a Boat?

Wil

Aine

That was only supposed...

Aine Sabine's picture

To last two days. So but it has been extended. So in other words, that's only for now. I honestly don't think they need to worry about Yod. I think this is only setting some things for later. It really depends on how long this story is expected to run.

Wil

Aine

Their assumptions are correct

Jamie Lee's picture

Strange how even in Joth at night it isn't safe to walk the streets. After Yod took over Joth, a person would think those of Joth would remember how they were treated and treat others better now Joth is again free of Yod.

So another mystery begins, until Ursula regains her memory. And then maybe some questions won't get answered. But Maralin's belief she was to be found by the ship was correct.

Interesting how the being hesitated at times before answering Maralin's question.

Others have feelings too.