Girl’s Night Out - 9 The Anniversary

Printer-friendly version


Girl’s Night Out - 9
The Anniversary


By Jessica C



Nera took Heath for his second time to their Girls Night out…
That night Heath became Dara and free to be…
The timid Heath easily directed by others blossoms…
There was Nathan and then Cortney…
She’s free and taking her time to be
=^_^=~


Grace was the only other person to realize Dara and the girls had arrived. When she came out, Teri was quickly out of her seat and up in Aunt Grace’s arms. Grace said, “My how you’ve grown Teresa, you’re not a little girl anymore. The women had gathered around Dara giving her a family hug with Katy in her arms included.

Grandma Elizabeth had a few bulky things to carry in; while Dara and Grace carried in the suitcases and extra. Beth carried in her little cousin Katy and Teresa was holding Grace’s hand. They walk up into the attic which was furnished for times like this. Grace, Dara, and their girls were going to be in the attic as would the other girl cousins if their parents were willing.

The idea that Dara’s nieces would be sharing the attic with her caused her to panic for a moment. It was nice that they were accepting but Dara didn’t think she was ready for this. ‘What would his/her oldest brother Colonel Patrick have to say about that?

Well, Patrick had already reserved a suite at the best hotel near the ocean. Pat sought Dara out as she and others came down out of the attic. Pat introduced his girlfriend Shelley. And gave a half arm hug to Dara, “Well Dara, it’s nice to see you. It looks like you've learned to do your makeup since the first time I saw you so dressed!”

Back behind Patrick, Shelley and others were Cortney waving and smiling to get Dara’s attention. She finally got Dara’s attention and a hug, but Dara was preoccupied with her brother.

Patrick’s blood pressure rose once he heard his daughters were hoping to stay up in the attic. “Dara better stay in the smaller room and not prancing around with the others or there might be some fireworks.”

Grace spoke up, “She, her daughters and I have an enclosed bedroom. But once we’re ready for the night we’ll spend some time with the nieces. Don’t go getting upset; your daughters are grown women and can handle it. They are able to decide that.” Shelley and Rick assured Pat things would be okay. The truth was Pat had trouble being around his daughters as they look more and more like his deceased wife Kathy.

Supper tonight was a smorgasbord of sandwich fixings, salads, and desserts. Dara, Grace, and others went to the reception hall to see what decorations, tables, and chairs they had to work with. The decorations made before looked amazingly professional.

Bethany was there working with me. “Aunt Dara you are doing very well.” I could tell she was surprised I was doing this well.

“Bethany, I gain more experience every week. I expect your mother warned you thinking I’d be more awkward in my speech and moving around.”

Bethany tried to deny that her mother said any such thing until Grace was the one to acknowledge she did. “It’s okay Bethany, I do appreciate you taking time to be with Dara.”

Teresa was with us and said, “My Mom is even better when we’re home and she isn’t thinking about what she’s doing. Katy loves it because she stops more to play with her and watch TV with us.”

The work at the reception hall went quickly and we were soon back to the house. It is late enough that I get Katy and Teresa ready for bed.

I see a pretty nightgown is on the bed I’m to sleep in. Grace had come into the room, “I wanted you to relax and have something nice to wear among us women. I wasn’t sure what you would have that enabled you to be out mingling with our nieces.” I pointed to an extra bed in the crowded room. Grace says, “I’m sleeping there that you and Cortney might be able to sleep together in the bigger bed. Come Sunday night we’ll have a lot more room as our brothers and families will be gone.”

I say, “I won’t need much room then as Cortney will have left as well.”

Grace interrupts me, “Cortney already asked if it would be okay if she stayed around till Tuesday. …Cortney would have told or asked you if you took the time to listen to her tonight.”

Grace says, “I like her. It sounds like you both have been hurt and have found someone good for the other.”

I’m trying to decide what to say. “I’m not sure what to say. I really like her but we both know I need to take my time.”

“You’re right,” Grace says, “You both know that. Just remember she like you needs to hear you appreciate her and a compliment now and then doesn’t hurt. Bethany even noticed that you are more comfortable in receiving compliments, Dara.”

I comment, “I find it easier to talk with your girls now. I don’t remember hearing them talk before about what they hope to go to university for.” Grace just stops and stares waiting for me to say more. “I guess, it’s me. I don’t remember taking time to listen as I did tonight.”

Grace gives me a hug. “It is good to see how you are growing as a person Dara. Just as good I like the parent you’re being for your girls.”

“They have become my biggest motivation for slowing down and to think about them. It’s a help to have Cortney’s support through all of this.”

=^_^=


My girls are down in bed by 9:00 p.m. and soon after that the nieces, Grace, Cortney and I are sitting around the attic floor immersed in girl talk. The cousins were texting things back and forth; mostly personal things they didn’t want us to know.

I was embarrassed when the older nieces asked about my sexual desires and needs as a woman. Bethany took the time to say, “We’re not prying to embarrass you, but honestly want to know this new side of you. I for one like to know if we, I, could talk to you privately on such subjects concerning you or me?” I looked to Grace wondering if Bethany was being as sincere as she came across to me.

It was then that Cortney leaned over to me, “I think your nieces and Bethany, in particular, are opening themselves up to you. They are sincere. You should thank your lucky stars.”

Cynthia, squeezing Diana’s hand, said, “Diana and I have been impressed with you. While we think it will be good for you to take a year before deciding exactly how you will transition. I, we want to come to know this side of you. I’m not big on social media, but I’d like to do a lot of email, text and keep in better contact with you.”

=^_^=


Come morning, we went downstairs together and ate breakfast. It was 9:30 when we began to get dressed for family pictures. I was thankful that the older cousins helped me with Katy and Teresa. But it also meant I had less privacy as I changed. Katy and Teresa continuously kept opening the door until I finally decided to leave it open.

I was wearing Grace’s dressing robe as I first got the girls ready. I had put one dress on Katy, but I had my choice ready to put on her closer to picture time. Teresa had asked Diana to help her with fingernail polish.

Diana had asked my permission and suggested she put the slightest amount of blush and lipstick on her. The blush and lipstick were actually made for little girls.

I would get separate pictures with me and my daughters and another one with Cortney and me as well as the four of us them alone. I feel more and more that I begin once again to feel I want Cortney permanently in my life. Watching her with my girls and me, I like what I see.

Before we could have our pictures taken, my mom required she and I visit her bathroom. “Dara, you’ve done an excellent job in getting your girls ready. Now I want you to go do a little better job with yourself. I want you to go pick out a pretty dress both for the picture and going out to dinner. I want your makeup to be done for the evening with some jewelry as well. If need be you can ask Grace or Cortney to help you.”

I was heading back up to the attic when Grace called me to her. “We’ve already narrowed down your choices and have them over in the guest room.” The choice was half made for me as the sundress I’m wearing tomorrow is one of three possibilities they have for me.

I tried asking what was wrong with what I was wearing. Grace said and Cortney agreed, “That is good for every day around the house. But it is neither dressy nor flattering for you. This is your first family picture, Dara. You look far too nice not to look better than you do.”

I like the shimmering dark blue dress but had thought my brothers wouldn’t like me that dressed up. When I tell Grace, she said “Even if you were right. You don’t let your brothers have their way with your decisions. You’re getting on with your life and the photos will be of Katy and Teri with you as their parent. You should have pride in yourself.”

I changed everything and started with the satin lace bra and matching panty. A long slim slip, but I had to change out of that to put the stockings on. I was getting happier with myself as I was doing well dressing piece by piece. The sensation going over my body as the slip again slides down caused me to make a sound of enjoyment as it slipped down my body.

Cortney had unzipped my dress and she and my sister helped me getting in it so my hair would not be messed up. I was seeking to zip it up myself. Grace stopped me, “Please, let us do it and make sure it is fitting perfectly.” Grace has a giggle on her face as they’re done and I’m slipping into my heels.

“What’s so funny,” I ask?

She says, “The pictures are going to be taken at the church and I’m sure some of the members will come interested in seeing our family before tomorrow’s reception. And I know people who haven’t seen you get as Dara Martin will not know who you are. They will also comment to mother and father that they do not recognize the beautiful young woman. …When mother comments that you’re their youngest daughter Dara with their granddaughters Katy and Teri. Others will be speechless and then someone will comment: ‘O yes, it’s just been a while since we’ve seen her. …I’m hoping they don’t comment on how beautiful you are after having two daughters.”

I say, “They won’t do that.”

Grace says, “Tomorrow, you’ll have to decide about dancing with any of the men who ask for a dance. You will be surprised about how people see you.”

All of us ride in one of two limousines our parents have to take us to have the pictures and then to the restaurant for tonight’s dinner. Whenever I pick up Katy to carry her, she consistently comments. “Daddy, you are too pretty for me to call you Daddy. I hope Mommy doesn’t mind but I’m going to be calling you my Mommy.” Teri said, “Ditto Dad.”

Then Teri told me, “And do not cry and mess up your makeup.”

There were too many pictures: several of the full family including Grandma Martin and Grandmother Strong. Grandfather Martin is in a care facility and too fragile to be here. There are pictures of each family; all of Mom and Dad’s children with them, another with just the grandchildren; the picture of us adult kids and our spouses. Then there’s one with all of us women including me.

I am so happy that I’m included among them. It made sense, but I was afraid I wouldn’t be included. Grandma Martin comments, “I am happy to see you smiling more Dara. I didn’t see this coming but I long thought something was missing deep down under your façade.”

Grandmother Strong smiles, “I had the advantage of my daughter confiding in me. This was a long time coming. …You might not remember but I helped take care of you as a girl once when you quickly came down poorly sick.”

I said, “You did that more than once.”

She replied, “Only once when you were in girl mode. You were already in bed and had on your sister’s nightshirt. Then the next day, you got up, showered and changed into one of her sweatshirt dresses plus one of her panty’s. You even put on a little makeup which I thought was strange for a sick boy.”

I shook my head as it was a memory I had stuffed down and tried to forget. I remember that when I was still a little sick but getting better. Grandmother helped me to dress like a girl who was feeling better. That was when I met a girl named Denise. She often visited my grandmother. And I wasn’t contagious, so grandmother allowed me to play with her.

“You will possibly see Denise here tomorrow,” Grandmother Ruth Strong.

“Grandmother I have trouble believing neither you nor Grandma Martin both easily accept me as Dara.”

“You shouldn’t. We’ve experienced a lot more of life than you have. Plus as grandparents, we’ve always wanted the best for all of you. You’re no longer playing dressed up; you’re a grown woman. I hope when your father’s nieces are here, it will also be a help to you.”

=^_^=


The dinner was very enjoyable as my nieces shared responsibility with me for my girls. Almost everyone stayed a little while longer to enjoy being together and having family time. Tomorrow we could sleep in and need not worry as the Anniversary celebration was to start at 6:00 p.m.

Come early evening tonight Katy was the first to tire. She cried herself to sleep cuddled in my arms as she fought, going to sleep. Katy slept in my arms as I danced with my father. Being protective, I held her for two hours. I was learning first hand, how heavy a young child feels in one’s arms and hips.

Cortney encourages me to let her and others help, but for a while longer I continued until my mother sends Bethany to help with Katy. Bethany giggled, “Don’t argue with me; it was your mother’s request.”

=^_^=


Come Saturday morning I couldn’t sleep as long as I hoped. I had to go to the salon. My nieces Cynthia, Michele and Bethany went with Grace, Cortney and I to the salon Grace likes. Teresa came with us, and to be truthful I didn’t realize how big of a deal it would be to her.

Teresa sat quietly watching her older cousins, going from one cousin and chair to another. She informed Aunt Grace, “I think Cyndi looks like Jessica Alba, don’t you?” Luckily she asked her Aunt who knew who Sofia Carson is and not me.

“Mommy, Sofia is on the Disney channel. She’s a beautiful dancer and singer. You’ve seen her watching TV with Katy and me.”

My sister Grace agrees with her that there is a very good resemblance. “You need to remember Dara that girls are now more important. They shouldn’t just be a pretty face or someone your girls like. She’s a rather wholesome image for young girls.”

Once Michele was finished getting her hair done; she was happy to help Teresa with her appointment. I wanted to wait for Margi being free with the chair next to Teresa. Grace said, “I’m sorry, but I you’re getting the works and I want you to enjoy yourself being pampered.”

I was getting some tinted extensions put in my hair and then a permanent. Niece Cyndi was sketching me as my hair and nails were done. She showed the colored in sketch to Grace before showing the beautician how she wanted my face made up.

I was glad that while it was beautiful; it wasn’t overdone or a heavy makeup job. I gather that Cyndi was hoping she’d get the task of my makeover.

=^_^=


We were done by 1:30 at the beauty parlor. The girls and I had a light lunch and then waited an hour to get dressed. I was happy how I looked coming away from the beauty salon. And was even more pleased with how I look with the sundress. It was there with my breasts that Cyndi got to help blend my breasts and upper body to seamlessly match.

I wanted to change dresses rather than let Cyndi do my boobs. But as usual I didn’t win out and it wasn’t a problem for Cyndi. Her mother Kayla was amused by how prudish she thought I was acting. “You’re niece is very comfortable with helping you. Like the other nieces, she is wanting to bond with you.”

Cyndi is in her junior year of college and will be there for a few more years as she wants to be a psychologist. “Aunt Dara, I won’t ever be your psychologist, but I would like to do a practicum later if you’re willing.”

We visit and I learn she has had two friends who were transgender. Syd was a year behind her in high school and took her life the year after Cynthia had gone to the university. Maureen is a transgender lesbian who had some trauma in growing up. But was making a very good adjustment in maturing as she’s a university student.

It is mind-boggling listening to my nieces and nephews sharing their lives. I am shaken more once I realize I have been through so much. My blessing was I saw things a day at a time and hadn’t realized how much I had been through.

“Aunt Dara, I can see you’re realizing the significance of some of the things you’ve been through. As I said, I am not your counselor but I know you have one. …One, can you focus today on the celebration and be okay? …Now that you’re realizing you’ve been on quite a life journey. Will you promise me to begin to open up and share this with your counselor and your women’s doctor?”

She waited for me to answer and I felt relieved having agreed.

=^_^=


Most of us were there before the Anniversary reception began. Patrick and his girlfriend Shelley Gordy were the last of the immediate family. They weren’t sharing whatever their delay was. Somehow I had the feeling that it had to do with me. Patrick flatly said to me, “You’re not that big a deal for someone to get upset with.” He said that to Grace who hadn’t even mentioned me.

True to what Grace said the day before. There were a number of people wondering where Heath was. Even some who knew I was transitioning could not recognize me even when I took my turn in the reception line.

Mom had Grace, I and my sisters-in-law wear silver and diamond necklaces and matching earrings. It was our gift for celebrating with them as the family. My Dad had given my brothers golf balls and tees with their anniversary date engraved on them.

It was near the end of the dinner reception that Grace led the short program that honored our parents. I took part in two readings. My brothers added their reflections of different times in our parents’ lives together.

I was tickled when Denise Roberts, the girl that met me as Heather when I was sick and with my grandmother. She and Sheila (Miller) Anderson cornered me. “We want to talk to you. Sheila said, she knew you in school and you were wearing girl stuff under your clothes.”

Denise went through her story when she met me with my Grandmother Strong. I didn’t know that Grandmother had taken a picture of me. Denise had the picture. Sheila said, “I want you to meet with some of the girls from high school tomorrow. I invited Denise to come along. …Now we want to know if you want to go out with us. Or would you prefer we visit at your parents’ house? …One way or another we want to become friends.”

I knew Patrick said he was leaving early Sunday afternoon. We agreed to meet at my parents at four o’clock then. Denise and Sheila were delighted when Katy was in my lap and Teri was sitting with us. Denise asks my girls, “How it is that you look like your Daddy?”

Teri said, “Why shouldn’t we look like her. She one of our parents. We are pretty and so is she!”

Teri wanted Sheila to tell her about my being a girl for Halloween. “Was she pretty or was she an ugly witch?”

Sheila says, “He was one of the Spice Girls when he was twelve years old. There was to be another boy dressed as a girl, I’m told. But Mike Getty wasn’t allowed by his parents to look and sound like a girl. I think your daddy was being punished for something bad he did at school. Then when he was in ninth grade he was dressed as a cheerleader. Both times he was a pretty girl.”

=^_^=


My parents had their first dance and then others began to dance after that. Mom’s nephew, Lance was my partner soon after that when all the immediate family was to dance. I appreciated him doing it and he was actually a good dance partner. I had a number of dances, mostly with young men. Some had asked if I could find a babysitter for my girls.

Steve Jordan danced with me for two dances. The second one is slow. He had been three years ahead of me in high school and was now thirty-something. We went out to talk and cool off. He was nice enough to ask me if he could kiss me. He wasn’t patient enough to wait for my answer. The first kiss was light and nice, but the kiss grew more passionate. Surprised, I actually had begun to kiss him back. But that was the end of that.

Come ten, when people started to go home; I saw Kevin Baker. He had been watching me and finally worked up the nerve to ask me to dance. It took him over a half hour, and I kind of felt sorry for him. Then again I thought he was handsome and probably didn’t have any problem in getting dates. He had worked in my dad’s store when he was in high school. I was probably 10-12 years old then.

I became a shy girl when he walked up to me and we began to talk. He was a nice guy then and now I was comfortable though shy in talking to him. The announcer said they were only playing a few more songs. Kevin asked me, “Would you mind dancing with me.” We were halfway through the song and I move closer and leaned my head on his shoulder. The next song was from the Righteous Brothers and so we continued to dance.

Kevin complimented my dress and said I was attractive. “This is awkward as I don’t mean to come on to you. But I find you to be an attractive woman. Knowing your parents and you from before I know you’re a neat person.” The song was ending and I knew Kevin felt bad as he was now at a loss for words.

“Kevin, I’m not sure what you were hoping to say, but I’m thankful that you cared to talk with me. The dances were nice. If a girlfriend wasn’t here. I, I don’t know what to say but I do like you.”

I changed the subject and then asked if he had spoken with my parents. It was kind of a silly question as that is why he came. But I pulled him over to where my father and mother were. We stood there until they were free to visit.

My parents looked at me and then to Kevin. Dad said, “I’m glad you’re friends now. The differences in your ages aren’t such a big deal.” After we talked a few minutes, Dad said, “You know you could give her a ride home. I just suggest it’s late enough not to come in.” I was embarrassed at that point, but it wasn’t something I heatedly objected.

Mom was the one who said, “Dara, I would suggest if you kiss. That you fix your makeup before coming into the house.”

It was another twenty to thirty minutes before we left. Kevin did invite me to ride with him and I accepted. We didn’t kiss but we exchanged information and talked about getting together…

The story will continue…

up
85 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Enjoying the Series

I'm a little puzzled that there was no mention of Dara interacting with Cortney at the anniversary celebration. It was all about Dara's interaction with various men. Earlier Dara had mused about wanting Cortney in her life permanently.

Thanks for sharing.

At least Dara is finding

Samantha Heart's picture

Acceptance among her female cousins & neice's. Her brother the Clo or Gen what the hell EVER he is can go stuff him self in his stuffed shirt!!!@

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Dara is finding comfort...

with the support of those you have mentioned. I cannot say her heart doesn't hurt from her brother or her wife. Things however are coming into focus about what counts more. Katy and Theresa are first along with this new peace for herself. Her parents, sister and nieces as well as Cortney and Jodi.
Thanks, it is always good to here you.
Hugs, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Bonding

Jamie Lee's picture

Dara's past experiences are making her cautious in getting close with the other girls in the family, even the two girls from school. Even so, those girls are not letting her off the hook in getting to know them or interacting with them.

When it comes to Patrick, he should have been ground under mom's heel when he first started thinking he was the head of the house. It would be best he never retire from the military or his attitude against those things which are different is going to make it hard for him to live in a non-military world.

Dara needs to relax and realize there are quite a few people who are rooting for her.

Others have feelings too.