Player One chapter 2 part 2

Printer-friendly version

I walked out of Mom’s bedroom to my computer. I booted it up and went to Google.

I typed in ‘Metaphysiologist’ in the search bar and pressed enter. The best way to discover something is by googling it.

A definition appeared on my computer.

Metaphysiologist: A studier of anatomy and power of supers and mutants.

Then I typed, a metaphysiologist in my area. There was only one place and it was in the Epsilon City Hospital. One of the first hospitals in Epsilon City. Also, a hella expensive place to go.

I wrote down the name and number of the department of Metaphysiology.

I opened up For Courage. Ding. I closed my eyes and go into skills. There was nothing new in skills, so I go to stats and there was something listed under the perks:

Effects:
Gamer: Playing games helps your dexterity and heal your mind of stress. +1 dexterity per hour and +10 mind per hour of gaming time.

Well, that’s interesting. I didn’t think about effects. I wonder what other effects there are. Oh shit, don’t tell me there are negative effects too.

Whatever my ability is, it’s just like a game. I try to play For Courage, but I couldn’t keep myself focused. Too many things are on my mind that I stopped playing and followed my nose to the kitchen.

The smell of pancakes smelled much stronger than before. I wonder if that’s one of the perks of having high perception.

I sat down and a plate was put in front of me. I looked at my mom and queried, “What’s the special occasion?” I always cooked and it was only pancakes on special occasions. Syrup is very expensive ever since the world fell to the oblivion of the Ghoul Invasion.

“Oh nothing, we had some syrup left and some pancake mix.” She said, flipping a pancake.

“What time is it?”

“Hmmm,” Mom looked at her phone, “It’s 6:22.”

“Want me to wake up Sam?”

Mom snorted, “I sent Suzy to do it while she was hyped up on the ‘My brother’s a kitty girl’ situation.”

Speaking of the devil. Sam walked in with Suzy bouncing behind him, “Momma, why is-” He gazed at me. “Momma, why is thewe a kitty girl in the kitchen?”

“Silly, Wowo tuwned into a kitty girl.” Bouncing around Sam. Sam and Suzy look like identical twins rather than fraternal. Both kept their dirty blonde hair short and both often exchanged clothes. The only difference is their personalities which are like night and day.

I looked like Dad in appearance. Mom showed me pictures of him when he was my age. I looked like his clone with brown hair and brown eyes. Now, not so much. Another thing that’s shit.

“Sam, Suzy, why not you two sit down and have some pancakes.” Mom said softly.

They did and two plates of pancakes slid in front of them. Suzy forced it down her throat while Sam carefully ate it with eloquence. Gently cut into it, putting it into his mouth and savoring it. Mom often joked that Sam was the reincarnation of Dad.

A slid a plate in front of me, “Eat up, Motorboat. We have a long day ahead of us.” I nodded and chowed down on the plate in front of me. The warm fluffiness of the pancake combined with the syrup and the meat and saltiness of the bacon was something to taste.

“Momma,” Sam began after finishing his plate. “Where’s Wo?

Mom smiled mischievously, “Well, right here, honey.” She pointed straight to me.

“That’s not Wo, Momma.” Sam began to sound irritated. “Where is he?” Looking at me. “Where’s my big bwother?”

I softly said, “Sam, it’s me, trust me, buddy.”

Sam’s eye twitched as he got up and yelled, “You’we not Wo, you’we just a stupid catgirl! NOW, WHERE’S WO!!” I could feel a stabbing pain in my heart. Is this a ten top anime betrayal? Tears began to well up.

“SAM!” Mom screamed. That put Sam at attention. “Go to your room!” Sam stomped off angrily. “Stubborn like Philip.” She laughed. Mom faced me, “Are you okay, sweetie.”

I sighed at I just look down in hurt, “Do you even have to ask that?”

“Oh, motorboat,” Mom hugged me. “It’ll be okay, Sam is just confused right now.”

“Him and me both.” I laughed. I felt someone stroke my tail. I looked down to see Suzy.

“Don’t be sad, Wowo. Sam is nice, he’s just having a timeout.” She gave me a big smile that just melted my heart.

“Suzy, you wanna pet me?” I don’t mind being petted. It feels so good even though I know logically its shit.

Suzy bubbled, “YES PLEASE!” She got on my lap and began petting me. It felt good the way she stroked behind my ears and the back of my neck. I began to purr, “Oh mah gosh! You’we puwwing, you’we so cute, Wowo. I’m so happy you tuwned into a kitty girl.”

God, she’s so cute.

“Bye kids, have a nice day at school!” She called out to Sam and Suzy.

“Bye, Mommy!” Suzy bounced back. Sam didn’t say anything. He just pouted as stomped onto the bus.

The bus sped off.

Mom faced me, “We need to figure out a few things.”

I handed her the paper with the phone number and address of the Metaphysiologist. I sat on the couch. “I’ve already done research, so now all we have to do is make an appointment and go.”

Mom smiled at me, sat next to me, and held me. She’s never been this touchy before with me at least not since I was a little kid. “I’m so proud of you, motorboat!” She patted my head and rubbed my ears as I melted in her arms and purred. She stopped abruptly and sighed, “We need to discuss the near future.”

I nodded, I knew this would come. I no longer look like myself, therefore I am no longer Roland Alder. Which is scary as fuck considering that I’m no longer legally my mother’s kid until they could prove that I am. Which I’m not even sure is possible.

There’s plenty of stories of supers being kicked out of their house because their transformations went too quick and no one believed that they were who they were claiming to be because of how different they looked.

An idea popped into my mind, “If I can’t be Roland Alder anymore. Then I can be someone else.”

“Motorboat,” Mom said tenderly, “I’m so glad you grew up to be so strong and responsible.” Oh Mom, if you only knew how weak I truly am. “Have you decided on a name?”

“Uh name?” I said awkwardly. I didn’t think about that. “I don’t know. It has only been an hour or so since I manifested.”

“I know, I know. I’m jumping the gun, but I need something to call you. How about Ayla?”

“Ayla? Noo. It sounds like I live in the 60s.”

“Monica?”

“What? No! I don’t think I’m ready for a new name right now.” I flustered.

Mom bit her lip, “I’m sorry, motorboat. It’s just, I need something else to call you besides motorboat.”

“I know mom, you’re just trying to help. I’m just not ready for any of this. I don’t think I ever will.” We sat there in silence. This is difficult. The most difficult thing I’ve ever done so far in my life besides Dad dying. I wonder what he would do or say now? He’d probably say, ‘Son, you had to move forward if you want to get anywhere in life.’ Maybe that’s what I should do. Move forward. The future is full of anxiety and fear. Especially now that I’m a catgirl. The only way to deal with it is by going one step at a time.

“Molly.” I rasped so gently.

“What?”

“Molly is a name for a stray female cat. Considering my situation. It’s fitting.”

Mom grinned sincerely, “Okay, Molly.” The name, so foreign and weird that it was directed at me.

Though, I don’t mind it.

up
147 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thus Molly is born

I had to go back and reread the previous chapter to remember the name Roland. Wo and Wowo didn't didn't do it for me Still loving the story.

Molly is a great name.

WillowD's picture

And now that I'm thinking of it, I wonder why I see it used so rarely. Outside of Molly Ringwold I can't think of anyone in real life with that name.

Two out of three ain't bad

But little brother needs an attitude adjustment. He's probably feeling outnumbered about now. But maybe when big bro sis starts showing some superpowers, Sam will think she's cool.

Player one

Thanks for another chapter I glad it's flowing fpr you and I am looking forward to finding out what the heck happened to Roland and what will he tell people at school when or if he goes back.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.