The Grand Masquerade: part 3

Printer-friendly version

Brooklyn Park was a quiet place. It had several jogging paths along with areas for young children to play. It also boasted several sports fields where many a game of football or baseball had been played. It even had a large lake. It was on the south side of the park and was fed by the Forest River. Many couples had picnics on the shores of the lake. Also, grandfathers enjoyed themselves teaching their grandkids how to fish there. But tonight, something else was happening.

The crickets quieted as over the center of the lake, a cloud was forming. The was dark and swirling. Multi colored flashes of light were appearing in its depths. Suddenly, a figure appeared in the cloud. It was hazy, but one thing was obvious. It wasn’t human. The long fish like tail made sure any witnesses knew that. The figure quickly cleared, and the cloud disappeared. With a large splash, the figure dropped into the water and sank beneath the surface.

For several minutes, all was quiet at the lake. The ripples spread out and vanished. Nothing stirred. The crickets started up again. If one had excellent eyesight, a shape could be seen rising out of the water of the lake.

Ardaniahna slowly looked around. She didn’t see anybody on water or the shore. That was good. She did not want any humans witnessing her arrival. She sank back beneath the waves and, once she was deep enough, flipped and dove for the bottom. There, she searched for a suitable place to make a temporary home. While she knew she was close to her target, she did not know how long it would take to find her. She needed a safe place to sleep until then. And, maybe take the emissary to.

After 30 minutes of searching, Ardaniahna found a suitable place. It was a small cave near the bottom of the lake on the shore opposite the river. It was too small for her to fit in, but she could dig it out. She placed the few belongings she had brought with her where she could see them and started digging.

“I don’t see why it had to be me,” Ardaniahna complained to herself as she dug. “Any one of my sisters could have done this. I do have 10 of them after all.” She continued to grumble to herself as she dug. It took her an hour, but she was able to enlarge the cave enough for her to fit comfortably. After scrapping what little mud that stuck to her hands and arms off, she went to her belongings.

Ardaniahna stopped as she saw something moving near her stuff. With a quick flip of her tail, she darted forward and grabbed the object. It was a fish. One she had never seen before. It was grayish black with two long tendrils coming from the sides of its mouth. The mermaid kept a tight grip on the fish as it struggled to be free. It was not one she recognized, but a fish was a fish and she could use a snack anyway. With a quick twist, she separated the head from the body. She let the head drop as she took a bite from the body.

The mermaid’s face screwed up in distaste. This fish did not taste like the ones from home. It had almost none of the salty tang she was used to. Now, she remembered why none of her sisters were chosen. She was the only one that could survive in fresh water. Ardaniahna studied the rest of the fish. She could hear her father: since she killed it, she’d have to eat it. Even if it was bland.

After finishing the fish, Ardaniahna picked up her belongings and went back to the cave. Once there, she picked out a crystal half the size of her fist and placed it on the cave’s floor. She made sure the area around it was clear. Opening her mouth, she started to sing. As she sung, she watched the crystal. Once it began to glow, she stopped. Now all she had to do was wait. She could begin searching for the emissary in the morning, after they sent her some supplies.

* *

Matthew found himself floating in a dark void. He immediately knew he was dreaming. His dreams normally weren’t like this. He quickly looked down, then sighed. Even in a dream he had that freaky female thing’s body. He could see his snake like tail coiled around him with his upper body in a seated position. It was surprisingly comfortable. After a moment, he started looking around. There was nothing to see. He was alone.

“Oh, you’re not alone, Matthew,” a feminine voice came from the darkness.

“Who are you,” Matthew called out. “Are you the one who did this to me?”

“I’m one of the ones responsible for your current appearance,” the voice replied. “As for who I am, let me show you.” In front of Matthew, a tall full-figured woman stepped from the darkness. She came with the scent of dark rich earth and green growing things. Somehow, this woman remined him of his mother.

Matthew stared. For some reason, he felt he should be kneeling. How he was supposed to kneel now, he did not know. He’d curtsey, but he didn’t know how to do that. And he was naked anyway.

“I am Gaia,” the woman said after watching him for a moment.

“That name sounds familiar,” Matthew said.

“It should,” Gaia said. “I’m one of the few Titans the Zeus let live. Even if most of my worshippers were not Greeks.”

“You were a Greek god,” Matthew asked.

“Yes and no,” Gaia answered. “The Greek gods are my children.” She studied the snake-girl for a moment. “I know mortals study the Greeks and other peoples of that time. So, why don’t you know this?”

“I’m not really fond of religion,” Matthew. “Even the ones I wasn’t raised to believe.”

“And that is why you’re the perfect emissary for us,” Gaia said. “You don’t hold with any religion. You won’t favor one over the other.” She paused for a moment. “Now let’s get down to business. Prolonged contact with a god’s mind is not a good thing.

“As I just said, your neutrality toward religions is why you’ve been chosen as our emissary. We need an emissary because we’re coming back to the world. An old foe is returning soon, and we need to prepare. You are essential for that. You need to prepare the world for our return.”

Matthew opened his mouth, but the goddess continued over him.

“Bur it’s not just humans you need to prepare,” Gaia said. “There are several non-human races still living on the planet. And some will return as the level of magic rises. You need to convince these beings that they will be safe. The best way to do that is for you to not have a human appearance. That is why you look the way you do.”

Matthew blinked. He had wondered why his body had changed the way it had. Now he knew. But it didn’t make him feel any better. Now, if he only knew what he was. He opened his mouth to speak. Again, the goddess cut him off.

“We, the gods,” Gaia said, “know that humans are reluctant to accept things that are different or too strange. You have to admit; your body is both different and strange. So, it has been arranged for you to have a guardian. She has been chosen and should be at your home soon.”

The goddess paused as if listening to something. She nodded once sharply. “Okay,” she said. “That’s all the time we have now. We do not want to damage your mind. One of Us will be speaking to again soon. For now, you need to WAKE UP!!”

Matthew startled awake. His body jerking upright. Even though he knew he was in his bedroom, he couldn’t help looking around. Even though his room had changed, he recognized that nothing was wrong with it. He laid back down, grimacing as his massive breasts settled against his body. He though about what the goddess, Gaia, had told him.

It was a relief to know that his body’s changes had a reason. Not so much to find out that it literally was an act of God, or gods. Then there was what they wanted. They wanted him to prepare the world for their return. Both the humans and the non-humans. Then there was that fact that some humans would not accept him because he no longer looked human. He was going to need some body guards. Probably several. And they had better be very good at their job. Or he was toast.

There was a knock on his door. Before he could answer, it swung open to reveal his cousin, Briana, standing there. “Yes,” he said. “Do you need something?”

“Can I sleep with you,” Briana asked.

Matthew blinked. He had not expected that. “You want to sleep with me?”

Briana nodded. “Yes, please,” she said.

“Why?” a puzzled Matthew asked. “I’m not exactly cuddly, you know.” He really wanted to know why Briana wanted to sleep with him. Usually, when she had trouble sleeping, she slept with her parents.

“You have a nice tail,” the girl answered.

Matthew could have groaned. He had forgotten about Briana’s fascination with snakes. “Does Aunt Carol know you’re here?”

Briana just stared at him.

Matthew sighed. “Okay,” he said. “You can sleep with me.” Briana ran excitedly toward him. ‘But, you have to be careful. I’m not sure, but I think this body is very heavy. I could crush you if we’re not careful.”

“I’ll be careful,” Briana said as she climbed into Matthew’s bed. She quickly crawled across the covers and the coils of his tail. Once she was next to his chest, she got under the covers with him and snuggled up to him.

Matthew could barely hold back a gasp as Briana rubbed against his breast. ‘Were breasts supposed to be this sensitive,’ he wondered. “Comfortable,” he asked.

Briana nodded causing Matthew to wince. “Yes,” she said.

“Good,” Matthew replied. “Now go to sleep. I think we’re going to have a busy day tomorrow.” He watched as Briana’s breathing slowed. Soon, she was asleep. Once he was sure Briana wouldn’t wake, Matthew let himself relax. Thanks to Gaia’s visit, he now had information he needed to give his aunt. With that though, he fell asleep.

* *

Ardaniahna looked up as the crystal flashed. They had finally sent her supplies. They had even sent them earlier than expected. Which surprised the mermaid. Even though she lived in the underwater city humans called Atlantis at the West Pole, magic still was rationed. She sighed. Humans had forgotten about the East and West Poles. Even if they recognized their affects. They were the causes of the Dragon’s and Bermuda Triangles. She knew another group of merfolk lived there. Why couldn’t they have been chosen to guard the emissary?

Probably because she had been closer, Ardaniahna answered herself. She didn’t think a mermaid would have been chosen if she hadn’t said anything. She was Chalchiuhtlicue, Aztec goddess. She was a goddess of water. All water. Which meant she had the merfolk’s attention. She was also the protector of women and children. As the emissary was supposed to be a young female, that explains why she was interested in her. She was also a lot meaner and nastier than Poseidon, the god the merfolk followed.

Chalchiuhtlicue just appeared in their temple and demanded they send someone to guard the emissary. She said that some humans and others would either try to control or kill the emissary. She was not going to allow that to happen. And if the merfolk wanted to continue living her ocean, they’d better send someone to guard her. All of the priests could feel her power, and none doubted a word she said. Soon after, Ardaniahna found herself being sent to land. Even if it wasn’t as dry as she feared.

Not that she was going to tell the scary goddess no. She was not an idiot. She was going to do her best to protect the emissary and hope it would be enough. She looked at her surprise. She might as well get started. As much as she wanted to wait until morning, she wasn’t sure if the Chalchiuhtlicue would wait. The Aztec gods were not known for their patience. She started to gather the things she needed to cast a divination spell.

* *

Matthew found herself floating in the void again. She looked around trying to figure out why she was here again so soon. From what Gaia had said last time, she didn’t think she’d be back here so quickly. Especially since the gods had a task for her. Matthew blinked. She just realized she’d been referring to herself as a girl. That was new. She looked down at her body. Of course, it was female, but she’d been born male. It should have taken much longer than this for her to change how she though of herself.

“That would be our fault,” a masculine voice said. There was something off about that voice.

Matthew turned to face the voice and blinked. Before her stood ten men and one woman. The woman was holding a baby. She opened her mouth to speak but was cut off.

“There is no time,” they people said as one. “Your mind has been tasked enough this night. We are Yahweh, Jehovah, God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, The Father, The Son, The Holy Ghost, Jesus Christ, Christ, Mary and her son Jesus. As you may have guessed, we have a bone to pick with the Jews, Catholics, Christians, and everybody else who worships Us.”

Matthew opened her mouth.

“Allah as the Moslems,” they said. “He has a list of atrocities he wants to cover.” Mathew shuddered at the quiet menace in their voice.

“But we don’t have time for that,” they continued. “We are sorry for the death of your parents. If We could have, We would have prevented their deaths. No child should be without their parents. We know Gaia informed you of your body’s changes. You are now a member of and extinct race. The Titanobocca, the ancestors of the Naga and Lamia. In a few years, you will be fertile and able to give birth to young.

“Be wary of those who approach you. Not all will be friendly. Some may even try to kill you. Others may try to control you. Eventually, you will be taught how to tell your friends from your foes using magic. For now, rely on your mother and the guards coming to you.”

Guards? Gaia only mentioned one guard. But then, the other gods may have decided that one wasn’t enough. Matthew began to fell a pain in her head.

“Rest now,” they said. They had noticed her pain. “We will provide healing while you sleep. Again, we are sorry for not protecting you better when you were younger.”

Before Matthew could say anything, she passed into a deep and restful sleep.

* *

A dark figured appeared in the darkened room. Huge, bat like wings flared to help keep the figure upright as it stumbled. The figure snarled as it slowly straightened. It folded its wings as it looked around. There wasn’t anybody in the room and nobody appeared. All was quiet. It settled on the couch to wait. It would meet the emissary in the morning.

Things would get interesting then.

up
140 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Satan Perhaps

I shall wait and see?

Maybe

maybe not. I'd like to think I have some unforeseen twists in this story.

Same ol' same ol'

Jamie Lee's picture

Yep, the gods are at it again, doing what they want to humans without asking if the humans wants to be involved.

Matthew couldn't have been the only human who doesn't subscribe to any religion, or who've lost his parents. So exactly why him? And why a form that will get many humans to believe he's a demon, many humans who'll want to take him apart to see what's inside, and like he was told, those who want to use him for their own gain.

For a bunch of powerful gods, they sure lack the needed wisdom to reintroduce humans to magic. Matthew will be lucky if the military isn't called out to capture the monster. Or he isn't locked away in some deep, dark, out of the way prison. None being a good way to reintroduce magic.

Others have feelings too.