My UEI (Unknown Entity Intervention) Chapter 16

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 16

I had another bad night. I don't really remember what I am dreaming, just wake up terrified. I usually wake to the sound of my own scream. I am shaking and crying and I don't even recall what has made me so scared. In the end, I can't get back to sleep, so even though it is the middle of the night I tried to get up.

I thought Gem, who had done her usual calming ritual and was holding me tightly, had fallen back asleep, but, either my getting up re woke her or she was just pretending. I didn't want Gem to be any more disturbed, nonetheless, despite my protestations she got up with me.

Since we had left Eve and Laura's place early yesterday, we had time and energy to go to the shops and get some groceries in. So I planned to make myself a cup of hot chocolate. Gem just sipped on a glass of water and tried to make me be easier on myself. I was so angry that I had disturbed her again. In the end, in the middle of the night she used that emotional energy technique again. Her opinion was that I wasn't dealing with my emotional issues and worries through the day so they were coming out at night.

I had been through a lot in a short amount of time. Swapped into another gender, become unsure about my relationship with Jen since I was now female, been assaulted strongly enough that I thought I was going to die, lost my body's parents who I was just getting to know, shipped off to another country in the company of a stranger and now have very limited contact with my real parents. I should be an emotional wreck. During the day there was little evidence of it, only anxiety related to strange men. At night, however, my demons seem to be let loose.

We went back to bed. Gem held me, offering me comfort and I tried to be as still as possible, pretending to be asleep, allowing Gem to get some rest. I may have dozed a bit, but not much before the alarm went off. The shower helped revive me a bit and we set off in the limo for breakfast with Eve and Laura.

Gem is not naturally a morning person and after the night we had, we both struggled to put smiles on our faces as I met Laura for the first time. I could see why she was an actress, she looked movie star gorgeous. She greeted me warmly with a gentle hug and a kiss on each cheek. They had prepared a much bigger breakfast than I normally had. Pancakes with sliced bananas and honey, melon balls in bowls, crispy bacon and scrambled eggs, with toast. Coffee was available, which made Gem happy. I preferred orange juice.

Despite eating with a pop diva and a movie star, the conversation and atmosphere was relaxed and enjoyable. Eve was full of energy and every movement felt like an explosion, whereas Laura was full of grace and femininity. The glances they shared showed their affection for each other without making it awkward for the rest of us. Then the talk became quite interesting.

“Tomorrow is Saturday, are you having the day off?” Laura asked Gem.

“I will be having the morning off. I think we have certain dishes the caterers are bringing in the afternoon that I will need to be present for.”

“Oh, goodie. I love trying the food.” Eve put in which caused Laura to laugh.

“I still get to decide. If it was up to you it would be sausages and mash with apple pie for dessert.” Laura replied. “So what are you going to do with your morning?” She ignored Eve sticking her tongue out at her, directing her question back to Gem.

“I think I will be going shopping.” Gem replied. “Soph only has what she bought in a suitcase, so we have a whole wardrobe to buy.”

“That sounds like fun. You'll never get that done in a morning though. Oh, I have an idea. I'll take her. I am not doing anything today, and I love shopping.” Then Laura looked anxiously at Gem. “If that is OK with you Gem, I don't want to deprive you.”

Instead of answering her immediately, Gem turned to me. “What do you think Soph, fancy shopping with a glamour model?”

Gem was smiling gently which was a difficult expression to read. Did she want me to say yes? Since I started making some decent money, I stopped worrying about spending it. That money was not available to me now and I suspected Laura would have expensive tastes. So I was a bit nervous about the money side, and I didn't know Laura very well, although she seemed nice. Still, I felt that pressure when someone offers something nice and if you say no it feels like you have kicked their puppy.

“Errr... that sounds nice.” I said uncertainly. “I do have a singing lesson at ten though.”

“We'll swap, you have the nine am slot and I will have the one after.” Eve suggested. “Laura will take at least that long to set up her evil plans. Better you than me, is all I am going to say. I appreciate you taking one for the team.” Eve winked at me and then had to muffle a swear word when I think Laura retaliated under the table with a kick, which made me giggle.

In a way I was relieved. It meant Gem would have at least a little time off. Maybe we would just sleep in. I didn't want to be the reason she was unable to have a bit of R&R. The singing lesson went well. I was actually allowed to utter some sounds, but I had to get the breathing right. Afterwards, I headed to the waiting lounge, so I would be ready when Laura was.

Laura's POV

Eve had told me that Soph had helped her come up with another song idea and really wanted to help her. The breakfast was a great idea, and Soph came across as a nice quiet shy girl. Really easy to like, but if I was going to invite her to live with us, I needed to know her better. That was why I had leaped at the chance to take her out today. I wasn't sure Gem would go for it since Soph is only fifteen. I knew Gem trusted me and was unsure how much she would trust Soph to behave. My experience with fifteen year old actors may have jaded me a little. Soph appeared mature for her age, then again, she had been through a lot. I didn't know the details, but Lisa had asked Gem and told us that Soph had just lost both her parents.

While Soph was having her singing lesson, I phoned Daphne, my fashion consultant and organised to meet her at the mall. I had to give her as many details as possible so that she could pre prepare. Eve told me that Soph had thought she wanted to be a man and had recently changed her mind and was exploring carefully, her feminine side. That explained her lack of earrings or makeup. I was going to push her today. She had a pretty face and I wanted to show her how beautiful she could be. I also wanted a look at her character and pushing her limits would be a good way to find out. Of course, I would be wearing a disguise so that we wouldn't be mobbed. I was looking forward to it. This was going to be fun.

up
149 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Pushing Soph's limits

Humm, I hope she is not too stressed out to enjoy it.

"This was going to be fun."

WillowD's picture

Yes! Alas, we will have to wait for the next chapter to enjoy that fun.

Pre-fun

terrynaut's picture

There you go again, setting up for another fun chapter. This one was a little sleepy and short, but gentle and nice. I'm really enjoying this.

Please keep up the good work.

Thanks and kudos (number 39).

- Terry

Fun

Podracer's picture

Just hope it will be fun for the new girl too. Who is thinking that Laura will be sensitive to Sophie's reactions and mood here, seeing as she is going at this with some thought and consideration, and already listened to some background, albeit misleading stuff. I think they'll be Ok.

"Reach for the sun."

Good story

It's great how Soph is settling into her new life. I keep wondering if her nightmares are not so much due to the trauma she experienced after her transformation into Sophie, but because of it.

Was her experience with the Unknown Entity a one-time thing or will she receive another visit? Besides the Men-In-Black might still want to talk to her.

I look forward to each chapter.

Shopping w/Laura

My5InchFMHeels's picture

This could go very good or very bad. Soph may open up more w/o the consultant. The consultant is likely to push too far too fast.... But filled in on recent loss of fam, she may know the exact amount to push.