A Piece in the Game of Gods part 43

Printer-friendly version

I was dead. Or at least, I was going to be in just a couple seconds.

I screamed as I fell, plummeting towards the waiting ground below. My life flashed before my eyes in an instant, though one small part jumped out at me for attention. An instant later, I knew what to do.

“Please work,” I cried out, activating ‘Maelyne’s shield’.

A familiar shield formed around me, though instead of being a dome the way I’d always seen it on the ground, it was a bubble, which completely surrounded me. I came to an abrupt stop, hitting the bottom of the bubble with a painful thud that would probably leave bruises. However, I was no longer falling. In fact, I was how hovering in the air, being held there by a bubble…the same way Maelyne had been held above that crater.

MAELYNE’S SHIELD HAS INCREASED TO RANK 4

“It worked,” I gasped, letting out a sigh of relief. Then I chuckled weakly at the rank up.

Now, I was about five stories above the ground, suspended in the air by a force field bubble. This was a hell of a lot better than falling all the way, but it did leave the question of how I was going to get back up to where the fight was going on.

When Maelyne had been in a similar situation, she’d actually moved the bubble with herself in it, so I tried to do the same. I tried willing the bubble to go back up, or even just over to one of the windows so I could climb back into the building. However, the bubble didn’t move at all.

“Crap,” I muttered in frustration. It seemed that I might be able to make a bubble like Maelyne had, but I didn’t have the ability to move it. Maybe I needed to get rank that shield up a bit higher. “Now, how do I get back up there?”

In this situation, it seemed that the best way to go up was to first go down. I released my shield and dropped, then quickly formed it again to stop myself. After this, I repeated the process again and soon found myself back on the ground.

“That took a lot of mana,” I said in annoyance, though fortunately, I now had enough mana to handle that kind of thing.

After taking a deep breath to steady myself, I looked around. I was on the ground just outside the building I’d climbed up through. And unfortunately, none of us had thought to clear the zombies outside the building.

Several zombies were already coming towards me. I clutched my spear and spat out, “This is freaking ridiculous…”

For a couple seconds, I considered summoning my companions to me. Not only would they help me deal with these zombies, but I’d also keep them away from Kr’aethar and Arakthiel. Without my being there to protect them, they were in a lot more danger. However, the reason I didn’t summon them back to my side, was because Lauren was now the only healer up there, and could make the difference between someone living or dying.

“It looks like I’m on my own down here,” I muttered. “Crap.”

More zombies had noticed my arrival and began coming at me as well. They weren’t moving especially fast, but it wouldn’t tale long for them to overwhelm me.

“Well, I’m not about to just give up like some little bitch,” I called out to the zombies. “That’s not my thing.”

When the first zombie reached me, I lunged forward with my spear, stabbing him right through the eye. He collapsed to the ground, no longer moving. I repeated this with the next zombie.

As more came near me, I created a shield wall on each side, forcing them to come straight at me through a narrow opening. I was channeling the zombies through a bottleneck where I could deal with them one at a time.

When my shield walls faded, I created another one and pushed it away from me as hard as I could, knocking back the zombies and giving me a chance to breath. I used this opportunity to create two more shield walls and repeated the process.

After taking down a couple more zombies, a popup appeared.

SPEAR FIGHTING HAS INCREASED TO RANK 4.

“Nice,” I said, not taking my eyes off my enemies.

It only took me a minute to finish off the remaining zombies, and I let out a sigh or relief when I did. Then I looked back up towards the top of the building and scowled, worried about how the fight was going.

“How do I get back up there?” I asked aloud, though the obvious answer was that I’d have to run up the stairs again. Of course, that just left the question of how I was going to get back into the building, at least until I saw a door.

I ran to the door, only to find it was locked. I grimaced in annoyance, then chuckled when I remembered my lockpicking skill. I’d finally get a chance to actually use it, so it was a good thing that I’d brought a lock pick set, just in case I ever got captured again.

Half a minute later, I was through the door and running across the building, and then up the stairs. While doing this, I made a mental note to get more stamina if I ever got the chance. At that moment, more stamina would have been great.

While I ran up the stairs, I kept a close watch on my status screen, or at least, on my companion’s statuses. They were all still alive, much to my relief, but I was worried, especially when Teri’s health bar suddenly dropped by half. A few seconds later, her health went up again, and I let out a sigh of relief since Lauren had obviously healed her. As soon as I was in range again, I put shields on all three of them.

When I reached the top floor, I found that the fighting was now occurring there instead of on the roof. In fact, there was a massive hole in the ceiling, where everyone must have come down from. After seeing what Kr’aethar had done on the roof, I wasn’t too surprised.

I paused for a moment, just long enough to take in all the details and determine what was going on. The fight was now going on inside, but everyone was still using the same hit and run tactics, keeping our enemies from being able to focus on them. That seemed to be working, because as far as I could tell, we hadn’t taken any losses.

Kr’aethar’s massive metal form stomped through the large office space, smashing the walls, furniture, and anything in his way. He swung his fist at Marissa, only to have Alejandra leap at him from behind and hit him on the back of his head with her hammer. An instant later, several arrows struck his armored hide, though they did little but annoy him.

My eyes went up to the hole in the ceiling, and I could see Cassandra standing on the roof. She saw me, gave a smile and wave, then fired several shots at Arakthiel, who jumped to the side and avoided them.

“Good job keeping everyone alive,” I told Lauren, throwing up another shield wall.

Lauren had been crouched down behind a support column, but came rushing over to join me. She fired a force blast at Arakthiel, catching him from behind and knocking him off balance. Cassandra took advantage of this opportunity to send several arrows through him.

“Gotcha,” I exclaimed, throwing my spear at the god. Unfortunately, Arakthiel slipped to the side and avoided my attack.

“This one has become…annoying,” Arakthiel stated, staring straight at me. He raised his scythe and was about to attack me until Axe Guy charged him from the side and forced him to dodge.

“Glad to see you’re still alive,” Marissa called out to me. “I thought you were done for…”

“Takes more than that to kill me,” I responded, ignoring the fact that I’d already been killed twice.

“Can you do anything about Randal?” Becky asked.

I followed her gaze to Randal, who was standing back with a bone shield held up for protection. He wasn’t attacking, and it took me a moment to realize why. One of his arms was missing, severed just above the elbow. From the grimace of pain and determination, it looked like he was running on pure stubbornness and willpower.

“I tried healing him,” Lauren said with a worried look. “But I couldn’t do much…”

“Lesser healing,” I said, using my ability on Randal, though I didn’t expect to do a whole lot more than Lauren had. “I don’t think it’s powerful enough to grow new limbs…” From what I could see of Randal, I might have eased the pain and helped the stump to heal up a bit, but his arm hadn’t suddenly grown back.

Matt came forward and opened fire, shooting Kr’aethar in the chest with the glowing ammo that Maelyne had given him. Each hit exploded, creating softball sized craters in the god’s armor. I felt a surge of excitement since Matt was breaking through and was about to crack the armor above the area where Kr’aethar was already injured.

“Focus on his chest again,” I called out, throwing more shields out on my companions, then creating a shield wall to the side, between me and Arakthiel. “If we can crack him open again, we can finish the job…”

I didn’t have enough damage buff saved up to do a whole lot, but since Kr’aethar had already been seriously injured, I suspected that it wouldn’t take much. I just had to get past this extra armor.

Several arrows struck Kr’aethar’s chest, and when he went to block it, Alejandra took advantage of the opportunity to swing at his head again. Arakthiel tried rushing to Kr’aethar’s side, only to have Axe Guy, Becky, and Teri going after him with a series of attacks that forced him on the defense.

“I’m out,” Matt announced, quickly backing out of the way so that others had a clear shot.

My eyes were locked on Kr’aethar and the new opening that had been created in his armor. There it was…my opportunity. I hadn’t been able to take him down the first time, but this time was going to be different. This time, he wasn’t going to get back up.

I pulled my bulldozer trick and charged at Kr’aethar again, counting on Alejandra to and Marissa to keep him distracted. But just as I got within reach, he snapped around and punched at me. His fist crackled with red energy and smashed right through my shield wall.

“DAMN,” I exclaimed, desperately trying to drive my spear through the opening in his armor.

Kr’aethar reacted faster than I’d expected and grabbed hold of my spear, tearing it right out of my hands. A moment late, he drove my spear right into my own shoulder, doing so with enough force that he threw it at the same time. I screamed in pain even as I was thrown across the room where the spear sank into the wall, pinning me in place.

“JERI!” Cassandra screamed in horror before opening fire with a steady stream of arrows aimed right at Kr’aethar’s face.

I continued screaming in agony, though the truth was, I’d felt much worse pain. This hurt like hell, but was nothing compared to being burned alive. So after a few seconds, I clenched my teeth to keep from screaming and sent my spear back to storage, removing it from my shoulder in the process.

Lauren rushed to my side, hitting me with a heal. It felt good, but wasn’t nearly enough to repair all the damage. She didn’t have enough mana left to do much more.

“Hurts,” I gasped, trying to get back up but I only collapsed to my knees.

Kr’aethar slowly moved towards me, his fists both crackling with red sparks. His damaged armor melted and reformed as I watched, repairing the hole so that it looked completely undamaged. All that work for nothing.

“YOU AREN’T GOING TO TOUCH HER!” Teri yelled, stepping between me and Kr’aethar. She held out her shield and her club, facing down a god to protect me.

“Ditto,” Matt said as he stood beside Teri, his paintball gun in one hand and his black dagger in the other.

I gasped in pain and fear. I couldn’t get back to my feet at that moment, and I couldn’t even see clearly. Everything was just a little blurry.

Suddenly, I could see strange glowing threads connecting me to Matt, Teri and Lauren. I could see something…some energy…flowing to me from these threads. Loyalty. I was seeing their loyalty. And as soon as I realized that, I also realized that I could see the same kind of energy flowing from me into them. It was flowing both ways, making a loop.

“Loyalty flows both ways,” I whispered, remembering what Maelyne had told me.

With that, I noticed more threads…ones connecting me to the other champions like Marissa and Becky. These threads were much finer and not nearly as powerful as the ones I had with my companions, but they were there. And then I saw the one connecting me to Cassandra. It definitely wasn’t the same as the ones to my companions, but it was still clear and bright.

My vision blurred further and I could make out even more threads, ones that weren’t connected to me at all. There were bright threads between Matt and Teri, between Lauren and Cassandra, between Marissa and Axe Guy, and strangely enough, even some faint ones between Kr’aethar and Arakthiel.

“Loyalty,” I repeated, growing more confident in what I was seeing, and becoming sure that it wasn’t just some hallucination. I was somehow seeing a web of loyalty, of how we connected to each other. I took a deep breath and felt the energy flowing into me, filling me with greater strength and power.

When I blinked, it was all gone. I could no longer see all the glowing threads, but I knew that they were still there. With a grimace of effort, I got back to my feet, healing myself several times in a row as I did so. I still hurt like hell, but it was much more manageable now.

Kr’aethar continued forward. I threw shields on my companions. Matt opened fire with his paintball gun, though he was out of the glowing ammo and had been forced to use the steal balls instead. They bounced off the god’s armor without even leaving any dents. And when Kr’aethar got close enough, Matt was forced to dive to the side.

Teri was more stubborn than Matt and not nearly as fast. Kr’aethar back-handed her with his massive fist, and she merely raised her shield and tried to block it. The hit knocked her back and caused her club to go flying. Her health went down a little, but between her shield and armor, not to mention the shield I’d put on her, she’d been protected from most of the impact.

“Gotta do better than that, jerk-face,” Teri exclaimed.

Kr’aethar took another swing at Teri, who merely grabbed his arm and pulled down, causing the massive god to roll over her body and slam into the ground. It was an impressive move, but Kr’aethar was far too strong for her to pin, even if she did have better leverage at the moment.

I threw another shield on Teri and prepared to summon her to my side. Then I had an idea.

“Come on,” I muttered, making my storage chest appear in front of me.

Before the fight, I’d thrown a few things inside of it that I thought might be useful. Unfortunately, a rocket launcher hadn’t been one of them. As useful as that might have been, I had no idea where to get that kind of thing. What I pulled out a moment later was a container full of paintballs, which I tossed to Matt.

“What am I supposed to do with these?” Matt asked, surprised since those were ordinary paintballs. Then his eyes widened as he realized what I intended. “Got it…”

Marissa, Axe Guy, and Becky were still keeping Arakthiel occupied while Randal tried helping as much as he could in his injured state. Once I made sure Arakthiel wasn’t coming at me, I looked back at Kr’aethar. Teri had him on the ground for the moment, while Alejandra was taking advantage of the opportunity to pound on him with her hammer, creating some nice dents in his armor. However, there was a flash of red light from the downed god. I immediately pulled Teri back, and just in time. Alejandra screamed and was flung back while her hammer exploded into shrapnel.

Matt opened fire on Kr’aethar, shooting him in the face with one paintball after another until his entire face was covered with neon orange paint. These couldn’t hurt the god, but they could make it very difficult for him to see.

“These mortals are annoying,” Kr’aethar announced in Oraevian as he tried wiping the paint from his face. However, all he did was smear it around since his massive metal hands weren’t good for something like this. “They are like insects that keep stinging…”

“Then we should finish this quickly,” Arakthiel responded in the same language. “Beginning with Maelyne’s pawn… She is the only one with a sting that can harm us…”

I couldn’t see Kr’aethar’s face beneath his armor, but I imagined that he was giving an evil grin. “Then we crush her between us…”

I gulped at that, suddenly more than a little worried. My defenses might be strong, but I couldn’t hold off both of them at once. Hell, I could barely hold off one of them when they were actually focused on me. Fortunately, I understood what they were saying, which meant that they’d inadvertently warned me of their plans.

Arakthiel swung his scythe around himself, releasing a wave of purple energy that forced all the champions away. This gave him the opening he needed to break free from the steady attacks and to launch himself straight at me. At the same time, Kr’aethar charged at me from the other side, even though he was still half-blind. Like they said, they were going to crush me between them.

I threw up ‘Maelyne’s shield’ and pushed as much mana into it as I could, trying to give it enough strength to hold. “MATT,” I called out. “Remember the Carver’s Park match a couple months ago, and that plan you came up with…?”

Matt’s eyes widened as I reminded him of a paintball match that had resulted in a rather painful defeat. “My plan didn’t work…”

“Not that time, but it might now,” I called back.

Matt nodded, looking around with a desperate expression as he did so. His eyes settled on Becky and he grinned as he ran over to her side.

I turned my full attention back to the gods who were attacking me. Arakthiel’s scythe was glowing purple and raised for a strike. What worried me even more was the fact that purple smoke was now writhing around the scythe. It looked like the same thing he’d used to kill Maelyne, only a much weaker version. I had no doubt that it would be more than enough to kill me.

Kr’aethar came at me from the other side with both of his hands crackling with red electricity. He didn’t scare me nearly as much as Arakthiel did, but I had no doubt that he was quite capable of killing me as well, and that he fully intended to do just that.

They reached my shield at the same time and struck as hard as they could, obviously intending to shatter my shield and kill me with a single blow. If I channeled all my divine power into my shield, it might even be strong enough to survive the attack. However, right before their attacks could hit, I dove to the side, dropping my shield in the process so I could get out of the way.

“NOW!” Matt yelled

At that instant, Becky blasted Arakthiel with her levitation attack. But instead of floating up into the air, he was suddenly pulled straight at Kr’aethar, who couldn’t see well enough to dodge in time. Their attacks struck each other instead of my shield like they’d intended. There was an explosion of light as red electricity and purple smoke collided, and when it cleared, two bodies were sprawled out on the ground.

“Holy shit,” Marissa exclaimed.

“Are they dead?” Teri asked nervously.

“Kr’aethar is missing half his body,” Alejandra pointed out.

I stared at Kr’aethar, feeling both triumphant and sick to my stomach at the same time. Half of his armor, the outer layer that he’d created from his throne, was missing, as was a great deal of his body beneath. This time, nearly his entire torso was gone, and I could see the floor right through his chest. Even his neck was mostly gone, leaving his head almost entirely severed.

“Nearly Headless Nick,” Matt joked weakly.

“But you didn’t touch them,” Teri said, looking more than a little nervous. “If you didn’t use your divine power stuff, they’re only going to get back up.”

“Teri isn’t the only one with divine power,” Lauren pointed out with a sick look on her face. “I bet both of them have it too…”

“They probably have more of it,” Matt agreed. “A LOT more.”

I let out a long sigh of relief, thankful that my plan had worked. A few months ago, Matt and I had played a paintball game at Carver’s Park, where his gun had broken in the middle of a match, so he couldn’t shoot back. He’d come up with the idea of tricking a couple of our opponents into shooting each other, though it hadn’t actually worked out like he’d planned. This time it had worked perfectly.

Since Kr’aethar and Arakthiel had taken each other out, there were no popups or rewards, much to my disappointment. However, considering the circumstances, I could happily live with that disappointment.

“So, it’s over?” Becky asked.

“Not yet,” Cassandra said as she dropped down from the hole in the ceiling. “I can still feel that fucker’s power…”

Now that Cassandra mentioned it, I realized that I could still feel the cold and hungry power of Arakthiel. Arakthiel twitched and began sitting up, revealing that while he’d been badly injured by Kr’aethar’s attack, it hadn’t been enough to finish him off.

“You will all face oblivion,” Arakthiel announced in English while a purple energy began to swirl around him.

Suddenly, an arrow appeared in his throat, then Cassandra fired two more. The arrows crumbled and vanished while the god started getting back to his feet. A second later, there was the sound of a gunshot and Arakthiel was thrown sideways with a hole in his head. Two more gunshots quickly followed, hitting him in the throat and shoulder.

“We can’t let this bastard get back on his feet,” Lauren exclaimed before firing several more shots into the god. She continued doing this until her clip was empty.

Lauren was right and everyone knew it. Arakthiel was too dangerous for us to just stand back and let him recover. Once he got moving again, his reflexes would make it far too difficult to hit him, and we’d be right back where we started. Well, almost back where we started. Kr’aethar was down for good.

Marissa, Axe Guy, and Cassandra all attacked Arakthiel at once, hitting him with enough damage that it would at least slow him down. Matt was standing beside me with both his paintball gun and dragger drawn, keeping back and out of the way, but ready to jump in and do any damage he could.

I just stood back and scowled, silently cursing the fact that I didn’t have enough damage buff built up to do anything. At least not from my shields. With that thought, I reached over and snatched the dagger from Matt’s hands, willed divine power into the blade, and then threw it at Arakthiel as hard as I could. I might not have built up much damage buff from my shields, but I had taken some nasty damage to my body, and Maelyne’s Blessing meant that I could add twenty percent of that to my next attack.

“GOTCHA!” I exclaimed as the dragger hit Arakthiel in the stomach.

There was a flash of light at impact as the all that damage I’d added in my attack had been released. In addition, the dagger itself had the ability to deal three times the damage when it was thrown, so it had just tripled everything I’d put into it. Arakthiel collapsed back to the ground with a gaping hole through his body.

YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY DEFEATED AN OPPOSING GOD HOST.

REWARD: +1 ATTRIBUTE POINT. +300 RESOURCE ATTRIBUTE POINTS. YOUR COMPANIONS GAIN +200 RESOURCE ATTRIBUTE POINTS.

“It’s done,” I said, letting out a long sigh of relief.

“It’s really over?” Teri asked, giving Arakthiel’s body a wary look.

“Our part is,” I told her with a faint smile. “The rest is up to the gods.”

up
334 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"The rest is up to the gods"

At first I thought this statement was completely wrong. Then I realized it was accurate; it is just that Jaeri now is included in the category "gods".

Cliffhanger?

Also, does this ending qualify Morpheus for CLIFFHANGING RANK 8? One can almost feel the metaphorical anvil falling out of the sky onto our heroes.

Doesn’t feel like a cliffhanger coming up

I am guessing maybe a couple of parts to tidy up.

The anarchists are now not powerful enough to dominate the opposition anymore.

I am surprised the gods did not try to force battle at the same time though.

This is where it gets

interesting. As the pantheon sort things out from there side, Wonder if the game is truly over?

I Don't Hear The Fat Lady Singing!

JAERI got the Popup for Arakthiel, so it is safe to say that Not Robe is Dead and Gone!

We've been here before,

JAERI said:

"Kr'aethar was down for good."

JAERI DID NOT GET A POPUP DECLARING:

"YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY DEFEATED AN OPPOSING GOD HOST."

for Kr'aethar!!!

As far as I'm concerned, their part is NOT DONE!

**********

Well, looks like the gang didn't use my tactics!!!

**********

JAERI did use Elizah's idea to put equipment in JAERI's storage chest.

**********

Although Kr’aethar is dead........

D. Eden's picture

Jaeri did not kill him - hence no pop up that she had defeated him.

He was inadvertently killed by Arakthiel, which makes me wonder if his soul was killed as well? If Arakthiel killed Kr’aethar with his “soul killer” on our world, does that mean he’s dead on the god’s world as well?

D

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Good Question

My guess is that Kr’aethar is still alive on his native world. We know that all 3 of the gods whose host bodies have been destroyed on earth are weakened on their home planet. We'll just have to wait and see.

Arakthiel's Full Power...

...on the patrons' world wasn't enough to eliminate Maelyne's soul, though it managed to kill her. One would figure that the lesser power of his host body wouldn't be enough to end Kr'aethar's real existence up there, let alone eliminate his soul.

Eric

Hahaha.

It was Jaeri own idea that it would be useful. Just I thought she would keep some steel ball bearing but normal paintball is much better since it can blind the Gods' host.

“GOTCHA!”

yay!

DogSig.png

What if...

I wonder what would have happened if just before JAERI threw the dagger she told Arakthiel (Not Robe):

"The people of Earth are my people. You can't have them!"

???

**********

I wonder what would happen if JAERI's Companions would try worshipping JAERI???

**********

Jaeri is a goddess of loyalty

WillowD's picture

Granted, she is about as weak as anyone could be and still be considered a god, due to that divine spark. But given that she is a goddess of loyalty, I bet worship from loyal subjects would power her up far faster than for most gods.

Unfortunately, barring a few champions and companions, no one else on Earth has any reason to worship or be loyal to her. But half the Gods in the other realm would.

Don't they have?

At least one more GOD HOST to defeat? I could have sworn there were two, and they've only accounted for one! Watch out for the other baaaaad dude!

I Don't Think So...

There were five, one good guy (Mary's empty body after Arakthiel got her soul), and four bad. Mary eliminated Harker/Br'ieze before being eliminated herself, Jaeri took care of Pfath and Arakthiel, and Arakthiel inadvertently got Kr'aethar. We were told that the other bad guys upstairs didn't have champions. So unless either someone who does have a champion changes sides by negotiating with the anarchists for some personal advantage in exchange for an alliance (is there a god of greed?), or the anarchists do somehow succeed in getting keys or gates from the opposing gods who control them, or one of the anarchists can recruit a new champion and take him over, Earth is safe for the time being. (The fact that nobody's tried to recruit a new champion now that the rules are void makes me wonder if the referee's patron -- no longer with us -- had to be alive to make it happen.)

Eric

There were three. Pfath, Kr

There were three. Pfath, Kr'aethar, and Arakthiel. They killed Pfath 5 chapters ago, leaving these two. Our heroes' little friendly fire maneuver caused Arakthiel to kill Kr'aethar inadvertantly before they took him out themselves. So yeah, three down.

One more God Host to defeat?

No, Kr’aethar host was apparently finished off (after being seriously hurt by Jaeri earlier) by Arakthiel’s purple glowy smoky attack, meant for Jaeri when they tried to make her the Demigod meat in their God Sandwich. Jaeri wouldn't get the status report about that because she didn't kill Kr’aethar, Arakthiel did. So he probably got the message (and probably the attribute points to upgrade his champion host body, hah!). Kr’aethar's own attack hurt Arakthiel, but not enough to kill him.

Not Over

I some how doubt this story is over. Jaeri is still the best hope of the pantheon to tip the scales there way. I thought the loyalty ties were interesting, what if she cut them between her opponents? Would they turn on each other? Can she draw on the power of loyalty? I still think the idea of worship is interesting . . . I can't wait to see what happens next.

Morpheus, bravo!

Cheers
Zapper

JearI might have to go help fight

Samantha Heart's picture

But somehow I doubt she will be much use in the gods relm. They are WAY too powerful for her. However I think that she will.be summoned before long.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Really Good!

Exciting battle. I like that Jaeri didn't just out power her primary adversaries throughout the series, but had to think on her feet and come up with new ways to use her powers or just clever thinking to defeat her enemies.

Thanks so much for sharing this exciting and compelling series. It's been a lot of fun so far. I've recently read several of your completed series. As much as I enjoyed reading the series straight through, I think (although it is frustrating at times) that it's more involving and fun to read series like this as they are posted especially given the every other day posting rate of this series. It's fun to read other people's comments and thoughts about what is going to happen (even those that I think are totally off the rails) and to make comments myself. The last several episodes I've felt a bit of nervous anticipation when I've seen that there was a new posting available to read. So much fun!

Twists

Looks like this story is winding down, I don’t think there is much left for Jaeri to do unless arakathiel has some surprises. Jaeri might be needed over there for some reason. Jaeris Powers are still developing and could she be able to severe bounds of loyalty.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Missed snark opportunity

Too bad there were no members of the zombie apocalyse brigade who shambled at Jaeri while staring at an undead smartphone in their hand.

Smartphone Zombies! Why did it have to be Smartphone Zombies?!

So Why Did Our Author...

...have the champions collect the keys, if they weren't going to be used against Kr'aethar? There's no reason to think that they'll be of any use on the patrons' world, and if they were worth any points, there should have been a pop-up saying so by now.

They'll need the Cleaner to get up there, if there's really any point to any but Jaeri making the trip. (If he'd been at the scene, he could have gotten Jaeri back up to the fight without draining her abilities against the remaining zombies.) Was Cleaner's absence just the better part of valor, or was he doing something else -- consulting with his patron for new gifts, perhaps? Or did we lose him in the battle?

Eric

Keys

My guess is that the prize vault is still intact and is filled with rewards.

Yes, I know Cleaner gave the previous prizes to Jaeri but I think there may be new ones.

Randal can use a new arm.

Maybe Jaeri can gain ‘Greater Healing’ and heal Randal.

I was thinking maybe she

I was thinking maybe she could apply some divine power to her healing and see if that can grow Randal's arm back.

With both of the Gods' host

With both of the Gods' host gone, they can relax a bit.

Oh hope they don't forget to heal Randal.

Now my question is what will happen next? Maybe someone need to consult their patrons.

"...From a certain point of view." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Before everyone spends the next two (2) days celebrating, you might want to consider:

JAERI did not receive a Popup declaring:

"YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY DEFEATED AN OPPOSING GOD HOST."

for Kr'aethar!!!

On of the commenters declared that there was no Popup because. JAERI did not kill Kr'aethar.

However, according to this chapter, JAERI set a trap for Arakthiel & Kr'aethar. A trap that was very successful in temporarily damaging both Arakthiel & Kr'aethar.

In Chapter 17 (during the dungeon crawl), using her Flirting skills, JAERI tricked Axe Guy into stepping on a trap (which opened up and killed him when he fell into the trap)! Jeri got a Popup and received the credit for defeating an opposing Champion!

Anyone have an explanation WHY Jeri would get credit for using a trap to kill a Champion but NOT get a credit for using a trap to kill a God Host???

**********
{Chapter 42}:

[JAERI] "slammed my spear into Kr'aethar's chest, directly into the weak spot in his armor. There was a flash of golden light from my spear as all my damage was released in a single burst.

"GOTCHA!" I exclaimed triumphantly.

Kr'aether was thrown back from the attack, with his armor being torn apart and shredded. There was a gaping hole through the armor now, enough so that I could see his ruined flesh. There was blood, and gore, and bone, enough to make me want to empty my stomach in disgust.

"YES!" Teri cried out excitedly. "you got him..."

With Kr'aether down, I turned my attention to Arakthiel..."

***

Later in the chapter:

"...I turned to stare at Kr'aether, who was getting back to his feet. Most of the armor on his chest had been destroyed, along with the chest itself, but that didn't seem to be stopping him.

"CRAP!" I exclaimed, realizing that I should have expected something like this. I hadn't received any Popup about him being defeated..."

**********

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "Soul Kill" a "consuming spell" that totally destroys the body???

******

Even if Arakthiel had killed Kr'aether, there should have (if both were "defeated") been a Popup notifying the Champions to "CEASE ALL HOSTILITIES"!

**********

I recommend they place three (3) keys on Kr'aether.

That's my feeling

That is that they still have to deal with Kr'aether. I could be wrong, but every time they failed to take into account that one of the 'gods' was not actually dead it ended up coming back to bite them on the backside!

It was Becky who used her

It was Becky who used her powers to push Arakthiel into Kr’aethar. Maybe she got the popup?

The Only Time...

...I can recall that we saw the equivalent of "cease all hostilities" was when a round of the game ended and the winner was announced.

This wasn't supposed to be a game round. There's an argument, I suppose, given the location and nature of this, that we're still officially in the uncompleted contest round that involved the keys and the vault. But Cleaner, who should know, told Jeri when he opened the gates that sent everyone but Jeri and Matt away from there at the end of #30 that “This competition has been cancelled,” and he gave Jeri the prizes that he said would have been awarded.

Is it possible that those were intermediate prizes as seen in the other rounds and that there are intact vault prizes? I don't think it's at all likely -- after all, had it been properly played, the round would have ended as soon as the vault opened, before anyone could remove anything -- but I guess it's not impossible. Doesn't sound fair to the reader, though, given what Cleaner told Jeri and therefore us.

There hasn't been a "You Have Successfully Completed a Competition" pop-up doling out points at the end of a round -- which, regardless of whether that's an automatic AI function or someone trying to fake it, indicates this doesn't qualify as a "cease all hostilities" situation. (We discussed this back in the race that ended in the Western town: it certainly seemed that the leader wasn't willing to finish the contest before they could take down some champions for extra points.)

I believe you're right about Soul Kill, but I don't think we can be certain that it affects god hosts the same way it does champions and nonplayers. (Then again, the god-level version did wipe out Maelyne's body, though not before she saved Jeri's.)

I can't accept your assertion that making one individual eliminate another is no different from enticing someone into an inanimate trap. For one thing, trapping an opponent seems to be part of the game, based on what we've seen in previous rounds.

As for the discussion as to whether Kr'aethar's host body is gone for good, Cassandra perceived Arakthiel's energy still around after they attacked each other, but not Kr'aethar's. Ditto Jaeri.

Interestingly, the part of Kr'aethar's armor that came from the vault wasn't destroyed as I thought I'd read:

Half of his armor, the outer layer that he’d created from his throne, was missing, as was a great deal of his body beneath.

And earlier,

That throne was the only thing on the roof besides us and our enemies. From the look of the throne, it had probably been made from the vault which had been placed there the competition.

So we have "probably" on one hand and "missing" on the other. There may still be something that the keys will fit -- but if so it's not on Kr'aethar's dead or unconscious host body.

Eric

Jaeri pushed Axe guy with her

Jaeri pushed Axe guy with her staff to the pit. In this case maybe Becky should have gotten the popup?

I wonder what Jaeri will get

I wonder what Jaeri will get with her rewards this time. Also wondering if she did somehow manage to get back to the gods world could they help raise her levels so that she would be more powerful and be able to help them more.

Stamina?

I don't know what Jaeri will pick, but I suspect it will be stamina. She has a tendency to pick what was useful in the last battle, and she did think that she wished her stamina was higher.

That would be

Useful, even if only one point is added. Of course I wouldn't hesitate to add a point to intelligence either! Being able to out think your opponent has many points in its favor!

Maybe

Thing is, previously she figured out she can gain stamina by just going to the gym.

So, it can be one of the others.

I would do intelligence simply because she has her companions to help out with her weaker stats (e.g. strength) and Cassandra for awareness.

She is the coordinator type so intelligence it is.

Missing Popups (Plural)

My5InchFMHeels's picture

As far as I can tell, the only missing popup is for throwing Matt's Dagger. Throwing the dagger at Arakthiel should have caused a Popup for a new weapon usage.

As for the {missing} popup for Kr'aethar that was a soul killer attack, destroying him by friendly fire. It was pointed out that Jaeri didn't get a Popup about his demise, but she did get one for killing Axe-Guy. Jaeri used a skill to trick Axe-Guy into falling to his death. Therefore, Jaeri got credit for that, but wouldn't be entitled to one for Arakthiel's attack missing Jaeri and killing Kr'aethar instead (or rather destroying his host body).

I think a Pow-wow with the Patrons is overdue. Not sure who was watching Maelyne that she couldn't spend as much time talking to Jaeri as Jaeri would like, but wonder if it wasn't one of the anarchists, or if it was someone else, like a referee or a "Dungeon Master". I guess Morpheus will let us know in due time.

Popups

If anything, it was Becky who used Arakhiel like a weapon and pulled him into contact with Kr’aethar so she can arguably be the one who got the bonuses.

Indeed

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Since we are only getting Jaeri's point of view, if that's the case, Becky could say so, if she got a "God Host" kill credited to her.

While I think this battle is

While I think this battle is done for, it doesn't feel like the fight is over. My guess is that some or maybe even all of the champions make it to the god's world with some help from the cleaner.

And maybe now that the god-hosts have been dealt with we'll find out if somehow Maelyne is still able to somehow communicate with Jaerie or not.

Oh, no, it wasn't the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the beast!

Oh, no, it wasn't the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the beast!"

https://youtu.be/zw3O30xGTvE

.

I do not believe Kr'aether has been "defeated"! Some of the commenters have asserted that Arakthiel "defeated" Kr'aether and others have asserted Becky "defeated" Kr'aether.

If Kr'aether had been "defeated", Morpheus would have included the (reporting) Popup in the chapter.

JAERI has a history of assuming one of these guys is "dead" without seeing the (reporting) Popup.

JAERI used a tactic from a paintball game to set up a trap that resulted in serious damage to both Arakthiel & Kr'aether.

JAERI brought paintballs (kept in her storage chest) as a backup weapon for Matt. When Matt ran out of glowing spheres, she gave the paintballs to Matt for use to blind Kr'aethar.

The Patrons JAERI faced didn't know she spoke their language. When the two Patrons speaking in Oraevian agreed to charge JAERI crushing her between them, she used her Oraevian skills to her advantage -allowing her to implement a trap that would severely damage both Patrons.

She informed Matt of the plan with only two (2) sentences that only Matt would understand.

Matt set up his part in the plan by running over to Becky and quietly explaining to her (Becky) what needed to be done.

JAERI enclosed in Maelyne's Shield stood her ground risking her life to present herself as a tasty morsel of cheese for the two hungry rats.

At the last possible moment, JAERI dropped her shield and dove out of the way.

At the perfect moment, Matt yelled "NOW!" And Becky blasted Arakthiel so that he was unable to dodge Kr'aethar, who could not dodge Arakthiel because the paintballs obscured his vision.

The two (2) Patrons attacks on JAERI's shield missed the shield (which had been dropped) and hit each other - a perfectly executed trap on the unsuspecting Victims!

Arakthiel didn't attack Kr'aethar - his strike missed his target and hit Kr'aethar because of JAERI's SKILL AS A SMALL UNIT LEADER!

Becky didn't make the critical attack on Kr'aether, she merely FOLLOWED AN ORDER ISSUED BY MATT. AN ORDER ISSUED BY MATT AS PART OF A PLAN CONCEIVED BY JAERI.
MATT AIMED THE WEAPON (Becky) AND PULLED THE TRIGGER ("NOW" Matt yelled)!

The damage inflicted on Kr'aethar was a direct result of JAERI's superior intelligence, superior leadership, superior tactics, and "bravery in combat, at the risk of life and above and beyond the call of duty."

Competitions done?

If so, will all the champions lose their abilities since they are no longer needed?

I wonder if Jaeri will play a role in the politics of the gods from now on as she has that divine spark as well as being Maelyne’s inheritor?

Their part is completed

Jamie Lee's picture

It does appear the champions part in this opera is through with the removal of the last two hosts. It appears...

Arakthiel took out Kr'aether so he must have got the defeat points, but his points went to Jaeri when Jaeri stuck him with Matt's dagger and finished him off.

Kicking the two back into their world injured might be enough for the other gods to finally finish them off. And restore peace once again.

If this does happen what happens to the power each champion was given? There's no longer a game, the host bodies have been destroyed, and the bad gods have been kicked off the Earth. What now?

Others have feelings too.