Tragedy of the Spirit Part 33 Wheels to Go

Printer-friendly version

TRAGEDY OF THE SPIRIT PART 33

WHEELS TO GO

 ©2008 PRAIRIE_GIRL_64

May passed into June and my job was beginning to be quite enjoyable, I came out of my shy spell and I actually started to talk with others at work. Both male and female, I know uncanny, but true. I had to try and get over my fear of contact with the male species of this planet. Not an easy task to accomplish let me assure you. I made some strong acquaintances at work, a woman named Denise was on the same routine as me and we had the same days off and we ended up on coffee excursions almost weekly. She was married with no kids as yet; her husband was a labourer at the pipe fitting plant north of the city. Denise was short, and plump, not fat mind you, just round with blue eyes and long brunette hair. She stood a height of 4’11. That was cool. I sort of got to know a guy there on my shift as well, his name was Pete, and he was shy and quiet, thin like a rail. He stood 5’6 and about 145 if that. The pair made a combination let me tell you. Both had comic personalities, me I was again the odd out in the trio. Pete’s schedule ran one day longer than Denise’s and mine.

The three of us were returning from our 230 am coffee break, (I do not drink coffee, I had my usual tea). We all were in the stock room loading our carts and beginning to move the carts to the floor; I reached for a few extra items to place on my cart and then moved the cart to the floor. I had forgot a box on the table in the back and Denise went back with me as she needed to grab her extra cart that was loaded of fabrics and clothes for the clothes area. I had the baby are and the shoes. As I was returning to the floor, my lights went out.

I woke up in the medical emergency room. I was disoriented and groggy. I had blood on my face and hands and my smock was covered in dirt mixed with blood. The supervisor was in a chair near me, Denise was on the floor. She popped back a hour later and asked me how I was I said not good. I attempted to sit up and fell forward banging my head on the desk that was near the bed. I was out again. I woke up in the Emergency room several hours later, in a hospital gown. My first thought was ‘why me’. A doctor arrived and told me that she wanted x-rays and a CT scan done. I just nodded and did not want to communicate at that time. This was Déjá  vu .I began to wonder these stupid hospital visits are a common occurrence and when the hell were they going to stop. Sheesh, if it is not one thing after another. If you remember I was diagnosed earlier with having Multiple Sclerosis, well this was the nail that popped that balloon. I did not realize it yet; my life walking was going to be at a end. All sorts of Questions arose in me. Why me? What next? How was I going to live? Where was I going to live? Was my life over? I have always been smart, nothing I was even remotely prepared for even analytically speaking. I WAS DONE! They sat things come in threes, well if there was any indication I broke that record. Fuck. WHY? Was this some kind of punishment again for my life?

After a week in hospital again I was told I was never going to be able to walk again and that my life would be spent on four wheels. Okay, I thought, how the hell am I going to get about that way? Not that I had that much experience in a wheelchair to begin with. Sure, I had those days being wheeled in a chair to physio every day, but this was going to be completely different. My God, how was I going to adapt to this way of life? Was there a choice? Was there a chance I could survive this? At this point I had to say no way in hell. I was set up with a temporary chair from the Abilities Council. The next chore was how to make the chair more friendly and how was I going to get to and from work. Shit, my frustration level peaked again. I was sent back to The Rehabilitation Center and given a number of tests and challenges and then set free 12 days later. Shit, real life challenges and I was not comfortable with this new adventure. I began to think of ways to get about. I tried the city transit services and they only had a few low floor buses and they were not guaranteed to be running when I needed to be at work or when I was off work. A dilemma to say the least. I would soon find out that individuals like me now in chairs had more obstacles than those walking and this became my mission. I was going to master this chair and challenges that went along with it. I was now mobile and I was on wheels and this new adventure would begin…….

TO BE CONTINUED…

up
83 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Melissa, I Like Your Attitude Here My Friend

You Have turned lemons into lemonade. Take care my friend and know that there are those here that love you.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Resiliance, thy name is Mellissa

Wow, talk about taking the bull by the horns - you're a font of inspiration!

YW

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius