A Piece in the Game of Gods part 26

Printer-friendly version

When the sparks and sparkles cleared, I found myself standing in my living room, which was exactly where I expected to be. This was where I’d been waiting right before the contest began, so this was where they’d transported me back to once it was over.

“That was AWESOME,” Teri exclaimed from beside me.

Teri and Matt had come here, to wait for the contest with Cassandra and me. It was a lot more convenient to gather here than it was at their house. After all, at their house, there was always the chance that their parents could walk in on us. Since none of us wanted to explain the armor, or why we were appearing or disappearing in bursts of sparks, this seemed like the smartest move.

“Those rock monsters were crazy,” Teri continued excitedly. “And a tiger… We actually fought a tiger…”

“I fought a tiger,” Matt pointed out smugly. “You were standing around and picking your nose at the time.”

I was not,” Teri protested.

“Congrats on the win,” I told Cassandra, trying not to feel jealous. I could have won, but I’d made a conscious decision to save her instead, and I refused to regret that.

“Thanks,” Cassandra told me, giving me an odd look. “And thanks for helping me…”

“You helped me first,” I pointed out. If it hadn’t been for Cassandra, then Spear Chick might have killed me. I didn’t know if Maelyne had any more rezzes available for me, or if Heather had already used them all up, but I really didn’t want to find out the hard way.

“So, what prize did you get for winning?” I asked, glancing to my own popup.

YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED A COMPETITION:

REWARD: YOU RECEIVE 1 ATTRIBUTE POINT AND 50 RESOURCE ATTRIBUTE POINTS.

Cassandra looked at her own screen and grinned. “Three attribute points that I can spend anywhere I want, and a hundred and fifty resource points I can slot…”

“Nice,” I said, nodding in approval.

“I also unlocked a new ability,” Cassandra continued a little smugly, though she didn’t explain what that ability was. “I think, one point in agility, one in dexterity, and the last one…charisma.”

While I watched, Cassandra seemed to change just a little. It was subtle, but she did become just a little more attractive, and she had more of a…presence. If I hadn’t been paying attention, or hadn’t been looking for it, I might have missed this entirely.

I nodded at that, then went to slot my own points. Strength and reflexes were my two weakest attributes, with both of them being at an eight. I definitely could have used more strength, though after a couple of these last fights, I realized that I needed better reflexes. The faster I could react to danger, the better chance I had of throwing up a shield in time. Strength would make me feel a lot better, but reflexes would improve my chance at surviving…and protecting my friends.

“There,” I said after slotting my new points into my reflexes and mana pool.

Matt scowled, staring at his own screen. “I didn’t get anything this time.”

I gave him a curious look, remembering how after our last contest, he and Teri had both been given armor, while I’d been given points to slot for them. I pulled up my companion sheets and saw no additions to their equipment, and no spare points to slot.

“Teri didn’t get anything after our first contest together either,” I pointed out thoughtfully.

“Companions don’t get rewards like champions do,” Cassandra explained. “As far as the game is concerned, you two are just extensions of Jeri.” She gestured to me. “You’re both here as part of her abilities, so whenever you two get upgrades, it’s because she’s ranked up her companion abilities. At least, that’s how I understand it.”

“It makes sense,” I said, feeling sorry for Matt and Teri. They helped me with all those fights, but didn’t get anything for it this time.

“That sucks,” Teri grumbled. Matt didn’t look happy either.

“If you think about it,” I said, trying to make them feel better. “You both got your rewards up front…with all those stat boosts.”

Teri immediately brightened at that. “Yeah, these are great…”

She made a show out of flexing her muscles, even though her armor made it difficult to see them. Still, I knew that beneath the armor, Teri was pretty jacked now. In fact, she looked like she could be a fitness competitor or an amateur bodybuilder.

Over the last couple weeks, Teri had definitely changed, and not only physically. Because of her new size and strength, she was much more confident than before. She was less likely to run away or avoid confrontations with other people, and a lot more likely to solve her problems with physical force. As they say, when the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail.

Matt’s own physique wasn’t nearly as improved as Teri’s, but he’d definitely received some benefits of his own. Compared to him, most people were slow and clumsy, and that was starting to change his own perspective too. What would it be like, knowing that you had that kind of edge over everyone around you?

Then another question occurred to me. Was I changing too? Of course I was. That was obvious, and one of my biggest worries since waking up in this body. However, I realized that I was probably changing in some ways that I hadn’t even realized yet, and that worried me.

I used to be big and strong, but now I was small and weak in comparison. I used to be a guy, but now I was a girl, and still trying to wrap my head around everything that came with that. I used to be a jock, and while I still went to the gym regularly, my highest stats were in charisma and intelligence, and that was undoubtedly having an effect on my own perspective.

“Are you okay?” Cassandra asked me.

I gave a self-conscious smile. “Just thinking about things,” I said, deciding to leave it at that.

Cassandra had already changed out of her armor while I’d been lost in thought, so I followed her example and changed out of my own. Matt and Teri changed a couple seconds later.

“We’d better get going home,” Matt told me with an apologetic shrug. “I have to work in a couple hours, and want to get showered and cleaned before then.”

“You need a shower,” Teri told him with a smirk. Matt flipped her off. Then she turned to me and said, “See you later, Jeri,” before giving me a hug, which only emphasized how much bigger and stronger than me she now was.

Once Matt and Teri were gone, Cassandra stared at me with a smirk. “You remember at the start of the race, we made a little bet…”

My eyes went wide as I remembered the bet. “Crap…”

Cassandra gave an evil laugh, then ran upstairs. A couple minutes later, she came back, holding up a cheerleader’s uniform and a makeup case. “This time, YOU get to be the cheerleader…”

I stared at the cheerleader uniform and makeup with a sinking feeling in my gut. I was just thankful that Lauren had to work, because she probably would have encouraged Cassandra to take this even further somehow.

Letting out a sigh of resignation, I said, “Fine. Let’s get this over with…”

Cassandra grinned evilly at that, but instead of taking advantage of the opportunity, she paused to give me a thoughtful look. “I think Matt had the right idea. Shower first, paying off your bet second.”

“After all that, I think I’d rather just soak in a hot tub for awhile,” I thought aloud.

“A bath it is,” Cassandra said before gently pushing me towards the stairs.

I took Cassandra’s advice and went up to take a bath, telling myself that I was only doing it because she told me too. That was a nice little rationalization that let me avoid feeling bad about this new guilty pleasure. This was yet another reminder that I was changing, and that I was no longer the person I used to be. But as I slipped down into the hot water to soak, I didn’t really care.

“This does feel good,” I said with a sigh of contentment.

After that contest, with all the running and fighting, this was just the thing I needed. Of course, my regeneration rate was increasing with every victory over another champion, and that didn’t hurt with the rest and relaxation either.

I had no idea how long I remained where I was, soaking in the hot water, before I decided that I had better get out and face the music. It was with a great deal of effort that I climbed out of the tub and grabbed a towel to dry myself off with. And it was at that very moment that Cassandra came into the bathroom, almost as though she’d somehow timed it.

For several seconds, Cassandra and I stood there, silently staring at each other. The sense of awkwardness and deja-vu was incredible, especially since I knew for a fact that I’d locked the door this time.

Like the last time this had happened, Cassandra had an oversized towel wrapped around her mid-section. Her hair was wet and she’d obviously just come out of the shower since the house had a shower stall in the other bathroom, but only the one tub.

“Sorry for interrupting,” Cassandra said, giving me a look of interest. “I needed to grab my hair dryer.’

“No problem,” I responded, trying to act like this was no big deal.

This was just like being in the showers and locker room with a bunch of other guys after a game. At least, that was what I tried telling myself, without much success.

“It’ll just be a moment,” Cassandra promised with a smirk.

As she bent down to pull her hair dryer from the drawer, I was extremely aware of her close and nearly naked presence. At that moment, I clearly remembered the kiss we’d shared, and my body began to respond. I gulped at that, hoping she didn’t notice.

“Don’t bother getting all the way dressed,” Cassandra told me as she turned to leave. “I’ve already got your clothes all picked out…” Then she paused to look me over again, while I tried covering myself without looking as nervous as I felt. “Have you shaved since your…accident?”

“Shaved?” I asked in surprise, rubbing my chin and cheek, which still felt smooth and hairless.

Cassandra began snickering. “I guess we’ll have to get that taken care of…” She went into another drawer, explaining, “Heather kept her razors and stuff in here…”

Seconds later, Cassandra proceeded to give me a lesson on shaving…from the female perspective. I was less than thrilled with the idea of shaving my legs and pits, until my tutor asked me if I planned on going ‘hippie’ instead. Needless to say, just like when it came to my hair, my vanity stirred again, and I got to experience what it was like to shave like a girl.

After this, Cassandra and I both got dressed, her in her usual clothes, though she kept her makeup light, and me in the cheerleader uniform she’d provided. This wasn’t the same uniform that she’d worn previously, and it was actually a pretty good fit. That made me wonder where she’d gotten it from since I didn’t remember seeing it in Heather’s closet.

The real surprise came when Cassandra gave me the shoes, a pair of high heels. Back when I’d been on the football team, none of the cheerleaders wore heels like this when they were cheering. They could have broken an ankle or worse if they had. However, I didn’t bother arguing with Cassandra, just like I didn’t bother to point out that our bet had only been for makeup, not for a full costume. Still, I’d lost the bet and wasn’t going to be a bad sport about it, even if she was pushing things a bit far.

The high heels were a bit awkward to walk in at first, but I quickly got the hang of them. I was pretty sure that he only reason I managed so well instead of breaking my ankle, was the fact that I had an agility of twelve, which gave me a decent amount of grace and balance.

“Nice,” Cassandra said when she looked me over. Then she held up the makeup kit and smirked. “Have a seat…”

I let out a sigh and took my seat. I’d survived this the last time, so I could survive it this time. And though I wasn’t about to admit it to Cassandra, I was curious about what I’d look like when she was done.

Cassandra did something with my hair, then she put on the makeup. I just sat there, trying to be patient, though it wasn’t easy. And once she was finished with the makeup, she still wouldn’t let me get up or see what I looked like. Instead, she pulled out a bottle of bright pink nail polish and gave me another evil grin.

“Not exactly a great match for your skin-tone and hair color,” Cassandra explained, “but I couldn’t resist.”

Once Cassandra was finished, she finally let me see the results. I had blush, eyeshadow, pink lipstick, and of course, the polished nails. She was right that the colors didn’t quite match my skin or hair color, but it was still quite a strange sight.

“Its…interesting,” I said politely. The makeup was actually lighter than when Cassandra had done me up as a goth, but definitely more in the ‘bimbo’ style. “I never thought I’d end up as a cheerleader.”

“It suits you,” Cassandra said with a smirk, before looking me over with an expression of satisfaction. “Very hot.”

“Um…thanks,” I responded.

Cassandra moved closer, then leaned forward until she was almost in my face. We stared at each other for several long seconds without either of us saying anything.

“So,” she finally asked in a husky voice. “Do I have to get you drunk again or something?”

That was all the invitation I needed to kiss her. I’d been wanting to do that again ever since the last time, so I took immediate advantage of the opportunity.

“I’ve always wanted to make out with a cheerleader,” Cassandra told me once we broke apart.

“Well, I’m glad I could help fulfil your fantasy,” I replied with a smile. “But you know, I might have one or two of my own…”

With those words, Cassandra and I grabbed each other and began kissing again, even more passionately than before. And this time, Lauren wasn’t there to interrupt us.

--------------------

I was comfortable. I was sitting back in a recliner that was an absolutely perfect fit for my body, as though it had been custom made just for me. Off to the side, just the right distance away to keep me warm, but not too warm, was a fireplace with a blazing fire. And then, there was the cup of delicious smelling tea.

“Thank you,” I told Maelyne as I took a sip from my cup. It was good. Really good. This stuff was really starting to grow on me.

“You are welcome,” Maelyne responded with a faint smile.

I took another sip and then looked around the room. It was the same place that Maelyne and I had met the last time, so I wasn’t sure if it was based off a real place, or if she’d made it up just because it was nice and cozy.

“You have just finished a competition,” Maelyne said, “so we have another opportunity to speak. But as always, our time is limited, even here in a dream.”

With a nod of acknowledgement, I admitted, “I could have won, but didn’t.” I felt bad for disappointing Maelyne like that, especially since I knew how important this was. However, I refused to feel guilty for saving Cassandra’s life.

“Yes,” Maelyne responded, taking a sip of her tea and then looking at me again. “Instead of finishing the race, you chose to stop and help another champion.”

“I’m sorry,” I told Maelyne. She’d been counting on me and I’d let her down. If only Crossbow hadn’t shown up when he did.

“Don’t be,” my patron said with a smile. “It does me no harm at all to have one of my allies win. In fact, in this situation, it may even benefit me…”

That made me blink in surprise. “I…don’t understand.”

Maelyne’s smile widened a little. “You chose to protect your friend instead of winning. You chose loyalty over victory. And while your victory would have helped me, I am proud of your choice. It was an action worthy of my champion.”

“Um…thank you,” I said, not sure what else I could say to that. I’d expected to get chewed out, not complimented.

“By acting as you did,” Melyne continued, “you have earned me some consideration… points in the game. And by protecting Armestia’s champion as you did, when you might have benefitted more by letting her fall, you have reinforced our alliance. You have earned Armestia’s goodwill and my favor.”

Since I still didn’t know what to say to this, I nodded politely and took a sip of tea. This really was good stuff. “I’m glad it worked out then. I was a little worried that you’d be mad.”

“I cannot be angry at you for protecting one you care about,” Maelyne told me with an amused smile. “I understand the value of loyalty and the importance of protecting those you care about more than most of my kind.”

“I imagine you do,” I responded wryly. Then, since we were on the topic of protecting the people I cared about, I cautiously said, “Matt and Teri were wondering how they could get stronger…” I quickly added, “The armor was great, and it’s really helping, but they were hoping to get some weapons or more attribute points too…”

Maelyne nodded faintly, not looking at all offended like I feared she might. “Your companions do not earn credit in quite the same fashion or rate that you do. However, you should know that by the time you complete the next competition, they should have earned enough to receive both attribute points and weaponry.”

“Thank you,” I said again, knowing that Matt and Teri would be happy to hear this.

Maelyne’s expression darkened. “Be careful, my champion. Our opposition is moving in unexpected ways. Two of my kind…allies who are not even involved in the current games…have disappeared. And as you already well know, they are likely to come after you again as well. The sooner your companions are fully armed and prepared, the better you will all be.”

“Then you should be careful too,” I said. I had no idea of what Maelyne was really facing in her world, but I knew that she was worried about it.

“Thank you for your concern, my champion,” Maelyne told me with a faint smile, as though amused that I would be worried about her. “Until we speak again.”

I woke up in bed and groaned, wondering why all my visits with Maelyne had to end this way. Couldn’t she just drop me back into my normal dreams? Why did I have to wake up each time? Then I noticed that I had a popup.

YOU HAVE EARNED THE BLESSING OF MAELYNE, GODDESS OF PROTECTION AND LOYALTY.

MAELYNE’S BLESSING: 20% PROTECTION FROM ALL DAMAGE. WHILE PROTECTING OTHERS, SHIELD STRENGTH AND SHIELD DURATION ARE INCREASED BY 50%

I bolted upright in bed, now fully awake. I stared at this popup in stunned amazement, hardly able to believe what it said. According to this popup, I’d just become quite a bit more powerful, at least when it came to protecting my friends.

In spite of the popup, ‘Maelyne’s blessing’ wasn’t entirely new. It had already been on my ‘character sheet’, in the ‘gifts’ section. However, until now, it had all been greyed out, saying that I hadn’t met the conditions to use it. But now that I’d unlocked the gift, I knew exactly what the requirements had been. I’d had to earn Maelyne’s favor, which I’d done, ironically enough, by helping the competition.

up
326 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Excellent!

I'd been hoping that her saving Cassandra would pay dividends. And it did in spades so to speak!

Changes

It looks like the other gods might be cheating attacking others outside the competition. Earning Maelynes blessing is a game changer that will help a great deal.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

LoL

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Clearly you've spent some hours on Azeroth.... I've been thinking the same thing... to an extent. I've been wondering about "Smite" or an ability like it. Haven't been on the priest since... oh, about... beginning of Mists, and blank as to the priest spells (love getting older, fading memories means I can make new ones. LOL)

I wonder what Maelyne's Blessing means in regards to Mason's Soul Killer. He hacked up Heather's shield pretty quickly, how's it going to be now against Jeri? I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

Writing speed

We have been getting about one of these chapters a day, which is wonderful. I always appreciate reading a new one. Is Morpheus writing that quickly, or have these been written in advance?

‘Maelyne’s blessing’

cool! But two gods have gone missing? whoa ...

DogSig.png

Maelyne's Blessing

The way I read Maelyne's Blessing, if Jeri/Heather casts Maelyne's Shield and she is the only one inside it, there will be no effect, but that if someone else is also inside it, which is usually the case (otherwise she just casts her personal shield), Maelyne's Blessing will come into play, which is important given the fact that Maelyne's Shield doesn't last very long.

Shield companion

That should be more powerful too.

Reassuring...

...to see that Maelyne's on the good side of this loyalty issue. I wonder, though, since her own future was at stake, why she couldn't have provided the blessing and improved her own survival chances before now. Even if she needed an excuse, the success with the dragon ought to have provided it.

Sure is fortunate that Mason's original attack got previous-Heather out of the picture, though. Maelyne would never have had an excuse to provide her blessing given previous-Heather's performance and attitude. Brings up another question: it really turned out to be convenient that Heather was killed and expunged at a time and place where Jerry could replace her if Maelyne could figure it out. Did the arbiters -- or some other god -- deliberately set up that opportunity? Now that we know that "real-world" attacks aren't necessarily the anomalies we thought they were at the start of the story, that possibility seems to have opened up, if there's someone out there who felt Maelyne needed a better chance.

Eric

Deliberately set up

Maybe there is a God/dess of destiny and fate somewhere??

it would seem that some of

it would seem that some of the gods would rather scrap the competitions and go back to direct conflict amongst themselves.

If so...

That would be bad for everybody! Not just the 'gods', then again only some of them care more than a whit about 'mortals'. Sort of like the Fae of legend. They simply see humans as at best pawns to be used (and told they're champions) to play a high stakes game. But some would rather hunt humans directly than be blocked by those who at least see something more than objects to be used, sort of like livestock...

it would seem that some of

it would seem that some of the gods would rather scrap the competitions and go back to direct conflict amongst themselves.

Showing loyalty to

Maelyne probably isn' such bad career move either.

Wow

Beoca's picture

I thought that helping Cassandra would pay off. I wasn’t expecting this. Jeri is the personification of the WoW Discipline Priest, with slightly more direct damage that is melee instead of ranged. These buffs from the Blessing only augment this further.

Paladin

I wonder if Jeri/Heather is aware that she is headed toward becoming Maylene's Paladin? That just occurred to me. (S)he is certainly looking like that is where she is headed. If so, she will be a force to be reckoned with on the battle field (or in the dungeon) as she is also becoming a better mele fighter as well. Sure she isn't a tank, but contrary to what Jerry was accustom to in paper gaming or video gaming, a tank has some serious drawbacks, not the least of which Don pointed out to her. No speed at all. Oh spending point on agility? Excellent choice. Shows that the last spends on intelligence were useful spends. Though one wonders that as a priest(ess) why Jeri doesn't have access to a particular stat known as wisdom? I'd think at some point that would become something that she would want to build on as much as any other stat. Then again, if she has more than one point to spend in the future, she should spend one more (at least) on intelligence, and one more on agility. Then she needs to spend respectively on dexterity, and awareness. Possibly more emphasis on awareness than dexterity. Though she should not hesitate to throw more on her charisma score either. For the position she seems to be headed for she will need it as well. Hopefully she and Don and Cassandra (at least) can continue to work as a team.

That’s a bit far....

Beoca's picture

As powerful as it may be, she has all of one offensive ability and all of one melee ability of any significant strength. As strong as it is, that doesn’t make her a melee character. Paladins are as much warriors as priests. Jeri’s not a damage-focused Paladin by a long shot - I’ve played such a character. It’s solely about dealing melee damage. Jeri’s damage is all focused on and derived from protecting her allies and companions, and is thus secondary.

If you go off of WoW, at least, (and that’s the game I have experience with which is why I return to it) shields are the work of priests (Discipline priests, specifically). Paladins focused on healing focus on healing damage that’s already been done - a Discipline Priest like Jeri prevents the damage from being taken in the first place.

Re: "Reassuring..."

Eric,

"In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way."

(a) if we assume that Maelyne's Blessing needs to be EARNED, it makes sense that the description of Maelyne's Blessing was "greyed out". Otherwise, the Champion would know what needed to be done to EARN the Blessing. In other words, the Blessing cannot be "given", it must be earned!

(b) If my conclusion that four (4) Forfitures results in a "God Kill", then at least seven (7) Patrons would benefit [four (4) by the death of Maelyne - three (3) by the replacement of the Soul in Heather's body] from the "soul killing" of OldHeather.

Which Patron benefits the most from the death of OldHeather?

If you are Maelyne and:

(1) Your Champion is a poor Champion, and

(2) If OldHeather is killed for a fourth time or is "soul killed", YOU ARE GOING TO DIE - A bitter fate for a woman who thinks she is immortal!

Wouldn't you be desperate for a method to replace your most unworthy Champion?

I would have launched a through search for a suitable replacement and when I found a human worthy to be my Champion, I would set in motion a plan...

I pretty sure even she know

I pretty sure even she know how, she simply could not, Maelyne i mean.

You forgetting a simple fact, she is Goddess of Loyalty and protection, i have serious doubt she can betray someone even if she gonna die because of it.

I think she is the personification loyalty, maybe even bounded to it. IMO
And breaking her own dominion problaby would be worse then dying. IMO

By Miri-tan


"People don't change. They may want to. They may need to. But they simply don't." House M.D


Sorry my poor english, i am from Brasil >_<

Re: "I pretty sure even she know" & "Can't Dispute your logic"

Mirielle:

Please go back to Chapter 13 and read my comment "Why Heather Died ...Part 4" followed by Eric's comment "Point on 'Loyal Meat Shields'" for my observations on what LOYALTY means in this story.

**********

For Eric & Mirielle:

Did Maelyne have any knowledge of Jerry Tanner's suitability to be a successful Champion?

{{Chapter 3}} "..."You [Jerry Tanner] are familiar with [computer] games," she finally said. "Both athletic and simulated [paintball] combat."...If Gorath had been allowed to complete in this round, I believe he might have chosen you as his champion."...In our latest round of games, many of the rules have been inspired from the games of your world. This should make it easier for you to understand what you have become involved in."..."

Having this level of knowledge about Jerry Tanner's suitability to be a Champion PRIOR to "first contact" appears to be a pretty damming piece of evidence to me!

**********
How did Jerry Tanner interpret Maelyne's description of a Champion?

{{Chapter 3}} "..."You use people as pieces in your game," I [Jerry Tanner] responded, thinking of the strange fight I'd gotten caught up in. "Like GLADIATORS [emphasis added]... it's not exactly rocket science."

Well, it seems Jerry and I agree that he who has become a she is now a gladiator! Now, IF you read carefully the [very staged] scenes and how Jerry reacts when in the [very controlled] presence of Maelyne, can you understand why I believe she [Jeri] is a slave?

**********

What are the consequences for a Patron when the Patron's Champion has been killed four (4) times or "soul killed once?

{{Chapter 3}} "..."They forfeit," I [Jerry Tanner] repeated quietly.
"Indeed," Maelyne responded with a grim expression. "Without my champion, I am vulnerable. My enemies can sieze or destroy my home, territory, and people, while I will be powerless to stop them."..."

**********

Which LOYALTY is more important, LOYALTY to a GLADIATOR-SLAVE and her LOYAL MEAT SHIELDS or LOYALTY to your home, your lands, and your people???

*********************

Footnote:

Just because I am highly critical of the False Gods (I mean Patrons) and some of the Jaffa (I mean Champions), doesn't mean I don't like the story! I really liked STARGATE and I am enjoying this story as it unfolds.

Knowing About Jerry...

...doesn't mean that she'd studied up on him beforehand. Remember the "You are neither insane nor hallucinating" comment, when Jerry considered precisely those two alternatives. She's obviously able to read his mind, and can therefore know his background just from encountering him now.

And as we've established, if Maelyne had been good at evaluating potential champions, there's no way she'd have picked Heather in the first place, short of some previous penalty giving her little or no choice in the matter.

Maelyne did give Jerry the option of declining -- dying but keeping his soul intact -- even though (assuming we believe her) doing so would have put her in extreme peril. (Not sure what to make of the "home, territory and people" sentence you quoted, especially the "people" part.)
Having read Jerry's mind, could Maelyne be certain that she was making him an offer he couldn't refuse? Quite possibly. But it was an offer, not an order.

So if Jerry's presence wasn't coincidence -- and as you've said that does seem to be the better bet -- I'm still looking at someone else and not Maelyne having done the vetting. We know she has allies and enemies among her peers; an ally may consider her survival in the game a priority. But I'm still partial -- especially since Matt's weapon was approved -- to the arbiters as the source: having accepted the "loophole" that allowed Mason's patron to provide him with his literally game-changing power, they needed to come up with a counter, and enabling Jerry was it. We know that the cleaner's mind-altering powers extend to "NPCs"; we don't know that the patrons can do that, and I'm uncomfortable with the possibility that they can, since it'd make assassinating a champion much easier if the bystanders could get in the way of the victim or even assist in his demise.

Eric

Can't Dispute Your Logic...

...in pointing out that Maelyne was the one with the most to gain by engineering the change. But I'd agree with the last commenter that it's not the kind of machination we'd expect from her, especially if she took her loyalty quality seriously. Granted, someone on the verge of dying herself may not be overly concerned with morality or gaming rules, though you've certainly not convinced me that Maelyne was one champion strike away from permanent death herself. Unless the game started a lot more recently than they claim -- which is certainly possible -- there can't be a lot of gods with fewer than three losses by champions. (I also don't think we're looking at death as the penalty here for a god: indenture's my guess.)

There's also the question as to whether Maelyne is capable of doing something that sophisticated, given how badly she fouled up her starting point. I have the feeling that if she did it, her allies did a lot of the work. I'm wondering if Mason's patron was an accomplice. But if it's not coincidence, I'd rather see it as a test from the arbiters (or their bosses, if such exist). I can see the cleaner coming up with Jerry a lot easier than Maelyne or an ally.

Eric

It would seem to me

that Maelyne is fighting a two front war with the other powerful beings. She has to play the game through her proxies, and survive direct confrontation with her enemies in RL (whatever a god's RL is).

In order to survive the seemingly never ending game it would make sense that Jeri, Cassandra, Matt, Teri and other allied champions are going to have to fight and defeat Maelyne's and Armestia’s enemies (the gods) directly at some point. That way they hopefully neutralize the entities that assembles a never ending army of lethal opponents against them.

Since the enemy's champions know them by sight, and are trying to ambush them outside the game, I don't understand why Jeri, Cassandra, Matt and Teri aren't using disguises outside the game as other comments have suggested. The opposing champions could just follow them home if they are recognized, and then lay traps and ambushes against them or their friends and loved ones. I would expect that Lauren, or Matt and Teri's parents are at high risk.

Attacks at home

True.

At least her companions should be capable of getting disguised as they were not introduced at the beginning of the competition.

Also, I am surprised Jeri is incapable of creating other magical effects such as wards for protection and hiding.

I'll bet she is

And because she as Jerry isn't used to playing a character like Heather, (s)he hasn't thought to explore for that ability. That would also buff her ability wouldn't it? After all she'd get some benefit from a ward that prevented an attack I'd think through Maylene's blessing. Heather is looking more and more like a priestess in the making, and I bet she doesn't even know it.

Mayline''s blessing

Samantha Heart's picture

Given that she is the goddess of loyalty & protection it makes since that by helping Cansanda win an allie to her patron so Heathers patron did win some consideration points by her helping Cansanda win. Heathers in turn gained Melines blessing a powerful shield boost when protecting others 0 damage is done to her or her companions or allies but only when she is porotting them. However her shield strength & duration have increased as well a good thing too as she is up aginst several stronger opponents.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.