The Angel of Chicago: Part 18

Printer-friendly version

The Angel of Chicago

Part Eighteen: Aftermath

by

Rodford Edmiston

There were no empowered healers who could get there quickly. None, in fact, were known who could be there any time within the next several hours. Malak and Blackpool were both out of touch, but expected back soon. Meanwhile, Arielle would have to depend on mundane medicine.

Melody watched, numbly, as she and Arielle were taken to a side entrance by a circuitous route, under cover the whole way. They would dash to a place of safety, and the first two agents would resume CPR while others checked the route ahead; then they would repeat. They moved quickly and competently, and the entire trip took only a few minutes... though it felt like hours. Once through the entrance they were hustled down some stairs and into an infirmary, where proper doctors waited with proper equipment. Melody didn't see the sniper located, cornered and then choosing to jump rather than face capture. She didn't learn until later that several snipers had been hastily placed in vantage points around the White House shortly after the Vice President was seen entering the building. She barely noticed when the team working on Arielle finally called the code and pulled the sheet over her face. She just sat there, a rock in the slow stream of human movement as the exhausted people who had tried to save her love dealt as best they could with their failure.

Finally, Malak came ghosting into the underground room, not caring that he gave those present the frights of their lives. That finally roused Melody, and she quickly rose. Malak hurried to the covered form, ripped the sheet back and lay hands on his daughter. Several long seconds passed. Melody prayed for his healing to work, willed it to work with all her being. Eventually, though, he sagged, and sobbed.

Melody found herself having to catch a man with thirty foot wings and try to support him. None of the others in the room moved, until she turned and glared at them. Then they rushed in. Malak was eased onto a chair hastily pulled out from a wall far enough for his wings to clear, though the tips still pushed up from the floor and the elbows down from the ceiling. That must have at the very least been uncomfortable, but he didn't seem to notice.

"She saved my life," said Melody, kneeling in front of Malak to take both of his hands. "She... must have seen the muzzle flash from the sniper's rifle, and spun us around..."

He looked up at her and smiled. It was weak and sickly, but at least he tried.

"You made her happy."

He sighed, sobered and stood. Malak looked into a distance only he could see.

"There is still much to do. People are still in danger. People I can help."

Melody jumped to her own feet and grabbed him roughly by the shoulders.

"Listen to me! Stop holding it in! You just lost your daughter! If you don't let it out you're going to explode!"

He stared at her, eye to eye, for a long moment. Then, with a wail of pure grief, he fiercely hugged her. As Melody had so often seen him do to Arielle, he wrapped her in his arms and wings. He wept, loudly and unashamedly, for a very long time.

* * *

The White House saw many violations of both custom and regulation that night. The President and Vice President were both staying there, though neither slept much. There were several unexpected guests, any one of whom would normally have been kept well away from any high government official. Multiple members of the staff were rounded up and held, pending arrest and dispersal to widely separated federal holding facilities in the morning. The investigation would clear some, of at least the worst of the charges, but others would spend the rest of their lives in prison. Some White House personnel were simply put on extended leave, but warned to stay available.

Melody was roused by one of the maids in the middle of the next morning and informed that she might want to watch a special press conference on the 3V. When she realized what was about to happen, she quickly woke Aaron, in his adjoining room.

He was quiet, and barely spoke. However, he allowed her to pressure him into making himself presentable. While they waited she ordered breakfast for both of them and made sure Aaron ate at least the bare minimum. Soon after the dishes arrived in Aaron's room and were placed on their trays, the all-channel broadcast began.

The production showed the haste of its organization. However, there was also a palpable atmosphere of gravitas. Even before the President appeared the announcers were speaking in low voices, sounding concerned.

Sandusky stepped out onto the stage and walked - with straight back and sombre face - to the podium. He had no notes, and the stand was plain wood, with no teleprompter. He glanced around the room for a moment, evaluating his immediate audience; then he looked directly ahead at the main camera.

"My friends, I am sad to inform you that my own Chief of Staff, Simon Dundee, was a major participant in a plot to overthrow the government of these United States. I am embarrassed that I trusted the man, and even more embarrassed that when I was finally convinced of his crimes and made an attempt to do something about them, he was able to intimidate me into passivity. The crisis has now passed - in large part due to the efforts of my friend and Vice President, James Duff, who acted when I couldn't - and nearly all the conspirators have been arrested. However, I now realize that I am not fit to be your President. The President of the United States must represent all her people, not just a favored few. Not just their own family and friends. Not just those in the majority. All the people. I have found, to my distress, that I am no longer - if I ever was - capable of this. I have therefore tendered my resignation. James Duff will be sworn in as President as soon as I am finished here."

There was a muted swell of sound in the room; something more wordless exclamations than questions or comments. Sandusky waited for that to quiet, then continued on for a few more minutes.

No further details were given of the plot, except to mention that the attempt on the chemical repository was part of it, and that this had been foiled by courageous volunteers, most of whom were empowered.

Sandusky closed by saying a final farewell as President, then walked off the stage. Those performing the public swearing-in ceremony for Duff then came out.

Perhaps because this entire production - from resignation to oath of office - was done so quickly, there was no objection or interruption. When the swearing-in was completed, the room filled with applause. It was muted at first, but soon rose in volume and enthusiasm. President Duff moved to the podium and waited for a moment, then called for quiet.

Overall, the following speech was not dramatic nor especially memorable. He did make a point of stating, firmly, that DNA testing in criminal investigations - long derided as too unreliable - would now be required for certain types of cases. Melody realized with a shock that this was due to her and those others who had been so misused by the torturers.

When it was over, Melody rose and turned off the 3V. Then she looked at Aaron.

"Did we win? Because it sure doesn't feel like it."

"We won," he said, quietly but surely. "Not the war, but a significant battle."

He sighed, and rubbed his face, understandably looking very haggard.

"No victory is without cost. This one cost more than most. Perhaps even... more than we can spare."

* * *

Somehow, Melody found herself back at Aaron's home in Haven that afternoon. She was alone, wandering around the house, feeling pangs of grief at reminders of being there with Arielle. She wanted to find Aaron, to be consoled by him, and help him as he had helped her, but he was not to be seen. At least inside the house.

Outside she saw people looking at the roof. There was Aaron, gazing sightlessly out over the seemingly endless fields. Melody sighed - from a mixture of exasperation, relief, fatigue and a few other things - and went back inside. She pulled down the overhead door, unfolded the ladder, went into the sizable attic and then through the hatch.

Once out on the roof Melody simply sat beside her host. They watched the wind blow through the fields, moving the crops in waves. They watched the birds circling. They watched the Sun move towards the horizon.

"I have been coasting," said Aaron, finally, breaking the long silence.

Melody wasn't startled; she had sensed him rousing himself. Now he shook his head, and gave a deep sigh.

"I had all this power early on, and for a while consciously and unconsciously worked at improving it. Improving myself."

He looked at her, now.

"That's the secret of empowerment. It gives those it affects the ability to change themselves. For most people it is purely unconscious, but it can be deliberate. We become what we want, if we work hard enough for that."

He returned his gaze to the infinite.

"I haven't been doing that. I thought I had enough. I invested myself instead in this town and its people. That has to change. I have to change. I must become stronger, to do what needs to be done."

"Aaron..." She put a gentle hand on his shoulder. "You're frightening me."

"I'm frightening myself. What frightens me most, though, is not being able to help because I'm weak. That will change. It has to."

* * *

For the US government, for the citizens of that nation, for the world as a whole, the next few days were full of uncertainty. This wasn't aided by those who claimed the transfer of power to Duff was the actual coup, with Dundee being a victim of that. This came in part from those who were sympathetic to the cause of the true conspirators, and in part from those who expected anything out of DC to be a lie.

The market dropped a huge amount, then began slowly recovering. The news agencies began revealing what had actually happened, or at least what they were able to learn about the recent events. Even those individuals and agencies with a history of sympathy towards the causes of the conspirators for the most part kept their coverage neutral. Melody was a bit surprised to see her rejected column on Duff now given national - and even limited international - coverage. The decision to do this being made before she revealed her continued existence to her boss and coworkers. While she and the others directly involved were asked to keep much of the events of that night at the rear of the White House secret, there were some things they could reveal.

The nation could not simply go back to how things had been, however. Some parts of the overall situation were better, some were worse, some merely different. Only a few were unchanged. This state of change was driven home a few days after the death of Arielle when James Duff had a request for a meeting from one of those instrumental in him becoming President.

Aaron walked in, escorted by unusually deferential (though still professional) Secret Service personnel. He and the President shook hands and the latter offered Aaron a seat. Aaron politely declined.

"I won't be here long," said Aaron, his expression revealing nothing as the new President sat back down behind that huge desk. "I want to first offer my congratulations. The Oval Office looks good on you."

"Thank you," said the new President, appearing honestly modest. "I admit I was hoping to be President some day, but I didn't want to come into office like this."

"Second," said Aaron, his tone now more stern, "I want to warn you. It's going to be different from now on. Empowered are much less tolerant of abuse after this, much less likely to toe a line they see as unfair. Many have already said that they will not hide any longer, that they will no longer keep a low profile. As well as that when their empowerment becomes known they will not register with the government."

"That's... worrying," said Duff, looking tired. "Though not surprising."

"There will be protests, civil disobedience, and most likely violence. As always, many of us empowered will do what we can to rein in the abuses of other empowered. We will also - as before - do what we can to protect other empowered. However, we have never been enough in number or ability to stop everything. There are only a few more of those willing to participate in such exercises, these days, while there are many more willing to act out."

"That could very easily backfire."

"We are very aware of that. Most people - empowered or not - are. However, they're also tired - we're tired - of being scapegoats."

"This is a social issue," said President Duff, firmly, "not a technical one. It will require a social solution. Changes in the law and in the rules, regulations and procedures will help, but can't do it all. Society, itself, must change. We've done that before and you have my word we will make our best attempt to do it again, and do it right. However, it will be neither quick nor easy."

"You have my word that as long as you are sincerely trying I - along with most empowered - will also do my - our - best to work within the system. However, time and patience are running out. I fear many will not be willing to wait much longer."

With that, he turned and walked out of the Oval Office.

There you have it. This was an experiment, and I don't know if I will revisit this universe. While it told a unique story about unique characters it did also include themes which are common with me. Including things from my Gifted Saga stories.

I hope folks enjoyed it. It was darker than my usual material, though not as persistently dark as originally intended.

up
133 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I already have a start on

Stickmaker's picture

I already have a start on Masks XX. No idea when it will be finished, though.

Just passing through...

Yes, did enjoy.

Podracer's picture

Sometimes the sour flavours go down well too.

"Reach for the sun."

Great story

I enjoyed the story even with it's dark tone. While I would like another story in this universe I'm a firm believer in letting an author write what his muse is inspiring him to write.

Heh

TheCropredyKid's picture

When Melody and Arielle first fell into bed i briefly wondered if i was actually reading a Niall Teasdale story...

 
 
 
x

Excellent story telling

Jamie Lee's picture

Duff became President not because Sandusky wasn't a good President but because his holding office put his wife in danger, as was demonstrated.

James Duff is right, perception of the empowered is a social problem perpetrated by the conspirators. But effectively done. It will take time for the whole truth to come out and attitudes to change.

But what of the General? Did he finally get what he deserved, in full? Maybe he had a road accident? Or bumped his head on a rock?

This story is nicely told and interesting to read. It's well worth the time to read.

Others have feelings too.