A Second Chance -- Chapter 49

Printer-friendly version
SecondChance.jpg

A Second Chance

By Dawn Natelle

Okay, I messed up. Somewhere along the story I started thinking this was Bobby’s 11th birthday, when in fact he was 9, turning 10. I have corrected the last chapter, but want to mention so people aren’t confused at how he got a year younger: Dawn

SATURDAY, June 11, 2016

Saturday was a busy day for Rachael. She had an appointment with Gary and Mrs. Winchester, the older lady who lived next to the church. She wanted to look at a vacant room at the Riverview Nursing Home, and decide if she wanted to move there. Kevin Ripley, a Hobo Army member who had known the older lady when they were both in the Horticultural Society, was also coming.

Gary picked up Rachael before Mrs. Winchester, not wanting the woman to feel concerned about being alone in a car with two men. Rachael went into the house to help her get ready, and then aided her outside, where the two men were admiring the rose beds.

“They look wonderful Kevin,” Mrs. Winchester said. “It’s a pity I can’t see them from the house. It is just too much work getting the walker out to the porch, and then the chair here hurts after a little while. I don’t have the padding back there that I used to have,” she said in an aside to Rachael.

They arrived at the nursing home where Franklin Myers, the administrator, was waiting for them. He showed them the vacant room, which Mrs. Winchester decided was exceptionally small.

“Yes, but in effect it is only your bedroom,” Mr. Myers said smoothly. You can eat your meals in if you like, but most residents eat in the dining room. And there is a large parlor, where most of the residents spend their days. We usually have two or three televisions on in different parts of the parlor. A lot of the ladies still like to keep up with their ‘stories’.”

“I do like Coronation Street,” Mrs. Winchester said. “And Jeopardy in the evenings.”

“And look Myrtle,” Kevin said. “There is even a patio door that leads out onto a little porch. It is nearly ground level, and I think you could easily manage your walker out to the little patio.” With that, he opened the door, letting the fresh morning air in, and Rachael helped Mrs. Winchester out to the patio.

“I don’t like that,” Gary said, pointing out that frost heaves over the winter had displaced the pavers and left several of the stones raised up, and a tripping hazard.

“If you plan on using the patio a lot,” Mr. Myers said, “We can put a work order in to have those fixed. I can’t promise it will be done this summer.”

“It will be done next week, if you allow me to have my men do it,” Gary said.

“Well, we do allow residents’ family members make improvements to the rooms if they are approved by the board,” the manager said. “I think we can treat you as family. And the fixing of tiles is something that I will personally authorize.”

“And then there is this,” Kevin said, showing a pad he had been sketching on. It contained a plan for a garden just outside the window. It would have raised beds, so that residents could work on them without stooping. The front two or three feet were floral, with Mrs. Winchester oohing and aahing over the flower choices that Kevin suggested. Behind the flowers were garden plots for vegetables. The entire bed was 40 feet by 15 feet, with several park benches surrounding it.

“Something like that would cost over $20,000,” the administrator said hesitantly. “The budget …”

“It will cost the home nothing,” Gary said. “Kevin here would like to get a landscaping business going, and this would be a showplace advertising it. A small plaque saying that he donated the time and materials would be the only payment he would need. And Mrs. Winchester would have to get first call on the beds.

“But maintenance?”

“Included in the deal,” Gary said. “My men will come in every spring and till the soil, and Kevin will check it on a monthly schedule during the growing season, and do weeding and trimming as necessary.”

“Well, this will definitely need board approval,” the administrator said. “Can I have your sketch?”

“Actually, I would rather put together a professional proposal for you,” Kevin said. “It will detail all the elements as well as our commitments towards maintenance. I can have it for you by … Tuesday?”

“That is fine. The board meets on Wednesday night, so we will have some time in case I find something that needs tweaking. I can let you know that I approve of the idea, unless someone on the board can raise some valid reasons not to do it. We had garden spaces for the residents up until the last depression, when we had to make some cutbacks.”

“So what do you think of the room?” Rachael asked the older lady.

“It is cosy, and knowing that there is someone checking in all the time is a blessing. I fear falling at home, and no one coming for days and days. I like that there is a little kitchen here, and my own bathroom. The closet is small, but I really don’t wear most of the clothes I have. Will you help me move, dear?”

“I would love to,” Rachael said. “And I’m sure that the Hobo Army will move everything over.”

“What about my roses?” Mrs. Winchester asked. “I can’t wait until spring for the garden. I need my roses.”

“I was thinking about a little rose garden right here, alongside the patio,” Kevin said. “The light here is ideal. We will get you a comfortable deck chair or two, and you could sit out here with a friend to enjoy them whenever the weather is nice. And you will even be able to see the bed from inside the room, through the patio door.”

“I can approve that,” Mr. Myers said.

Then the tricky part came up: finances. Mr. Myers outlined the costs for the room, for meals, and for the nursing care. Even Rachael was amazed at how expensive the place would be.

“I don’t know. That seems a lot,” Mrs. Winchester said hesitantly. “I have a small pension, but it isn’t going to cover that.”

“Do you own your home?” Mr. Myers asked. “Many residents sell their homes and invest in an annuity that more than covers the costs.”

“I was planning on donating the house to the church next door,” the lady said. Gary’s eyes went wide at that. It was clear that he was not expecting it, although he had been hoping that the church could buy the house for a parking lot.

“I will have to take this to the deacon, and the church board,” Gary said. “But if you were to give us your house the church might consider paying your fees for the home in return, as long as you need it.”

“Do you have children?” Rachael asked. “It would only be fair that you talk it over with them.”

“I have one son and a daughter left,” the woman said. “They are both retired themselves. I lost one son when he was in college. But the others have blessed me with many grandchildren and great-grandchildren. And soon, I hope, my first great-great grandchild.”

“Do call them, and let them know what you are thinking of. If they are concerned, then we can set up a meeting and Gary and the deacon will explain it all to them,” Rachael said.

“And you dear? I feel so much better if you are around,” she said.

“Yes,” Rachael said. “I would love to help any way I can.”

“You do understand that the house would be torn down if you sell or give it to us,” Gary said.

The lady looked sad: “Yes, I suppose it must go. That is the way with all the old things, we just get bulldozed away.”

“Oh no,” Gary said. “We would take it down piece-meal. There are far too many beautiful components and valuable things there for a bulldozer to just smash and throw into a landfill. Things like the gingerbread trim along your eaves. People in Toronto will pay huge dollars for authentic work like that. And the lumber will be reused. In fact, Kevin might wind up using timbers from your house to build your garden beds.”

Myrtle was sobbing. “Oh, that is so sweet: to know that the old house is not gone, but lives on in pieces across the province. It is sort of like when a person dies and their organs are used so that others can see, and live. And I would like very much if Kevin can use some of the old house here. I would be able to look out the window and know my old house is right there, holding up the flower beds.”

“Now,” Mr. Myers said. “I don’t want to rush you, but I can only keep the offer open for 48 hours. There are many others who would like a room. I really will need an answer by noon on Monday. Now, I hope that you can all stay for lunch. I would like you to see what our kitchens can do. They have the top approval ratings from residents of all the homes that we manage.”

“I would love to join you,” Rachael said, “but I have a birthday party to get to. My little brother is 10. Ruby will pick me up in a few minutes.” The girl thought for a second. “After your lunch here, would you like to come to the party,” she asked Mrs. Winchester. “Gary is coming, and he would bring you along, I’m sure.”

“Oh my dear,” the woman said. “I don’t know. Well, yes I do. I had such a good time at the dinner you invited me to on Wednesday. I would be glad to come, if you won’t mind an old woman there.”

“My Grandma and Grandpa are coming too, so you will have company while us youngsters are skating. Oh, Gary, I got a text. Apparently my parents have their heads in some Clouds, and won’t be to the party until late. Can you pick up Grandma and Grandpa on your way in? Grandma is driving over to Grandpa’s house.”

“Sure thing, Rachael,” Gary said.

Rachael got to take the tour of the kitchen before Ruby came to pick her up in the bakery van, which was loaded with great smelling things, and then they headed to the arena to set up for the party. Geoff had rented the small hall at the arena, and the kitchen. Ruby had volunteered to be the cook for the party, which was just hotdogs, although the new spicy type her store was offering. Bobby was with Marc, and they were going to come in with the Stoners at 1 when skating would start. Ruby was planning a meal at 3, including cake and presents, and then the kids would be able to go back on the ice until 6, when parents were asked to pick up their kids.

Rachael helped carry the cake in from the back of the van. It took both women to carry it. It was huge and Mike had placed it on a foil-covered piece of plywood for ease of moving it around. The girls put it in the kitchen where it would not be seen until it was to be presented, and then peaked under the foil.

“Oh, Bobby is going to love this,” Rachael gasped. The cake was a goalie in front of a hockey next, with full pads on, and a helmet that had the word “Bobby” written in icing. The cake was reminiscent of the Ken Danby painting “In the Crease” but had the goalie front on, and more modern equipment, especially a newer mask.

“Mike is a real artist, isn’t he,” Ruby said. “I can see why Geoff agreed that his cake last night was second best. This is gorgeous.”

“I guess he spent five hours doing it Thursday night,” Rachael said. “That means, with the cost of the cake added in, we would have to sell something like this for over $200. Let’s cover it up and protect it from snooping eyes.”

“Other than our snooping eyes, you mean,” Ruby joked.

There were another two loads from the van each. There were buns and wieners for the kids and their parents, ice cream to go with the cake in three different flavors (chocolate, chocolate chip, and Rocky Road), and pastries and donuts from the bakery. Rachael was content that it would be a feast that the kids would enjoy.

At about a quarter to one the birthday boy arrived with the Stoners, less Kyle who was working a long day at the bakery so that Doug could get away early for his date with Darla. They had also brought along Marc, who had been taking shots on Bobby all morning in his garage, to test out Bobby’s goalie stick.

Danni immediately ran over to Rachael to give her a hug, while Mr. Stoner brought in a box full of gifts. Mrs. Stoner was laden down with a collection of skates: Danni’s new figure skates, Mikki’s pair from last year, the pair of Kyle’s that fit Rachael, and the older pair that fit Bobby.

Rachael spent the next fifteen minutes tying skates for the kids out in the arena. The ice would not open until 1, but during that time she tightened a dozen pairs of skates. The Jackson’s arrived, and Robert tightened hers. Her Ron memories of playing minor hockey told her that tight skates were essential to skating well. She just wasn’t sure how well this newer body would adapt to having steel blades on her feet.

At one the lights went on and the kids got on the ice. There would eventually be another two to three hundred skaters from the community to the first day of summer skating, but for a few minutes it was like the rink was reserved all for the party while outsiders waited to pay at the booth and then get their skates on. The party folk had come in early through the hall door, and were prepaid by Geoff, so they could get started quickly.

Danni had never had any interest in skating or hockey when they were treating her as a boy, but now that she had official ‘girl’ skates, she was enthusiastic about trying. She fell on her rear many times, but just laughed as Bobby picked her up and got her going again. Soon Lisa Jackson took over, and Bobby went off with Marc, as the taller boy tried to teach Bobby how to skate. Robert was a good skater, as was Mikki, and they skated around as Rachael stayed near the little ones until she got her balance and adjusted to the new body mechanics. Then she took off, and soon was gliding with the rest of them.

Bobby was the surprise though. He followed Marc’s instructions meticulously, and as the taller boy had attended hockey classes in France for several years, he was able to give useful skating tips for a beginner.

After an hour Darla and Doug showed up. They both skated well, and caught up with Rachael as she made a loop around the ice. “Hey Rachael, wait up,” Doug called, and as he pulled to a stop, Darla feigned not being able to stop in time so she could grab on to her new boyfriend. She didn’t let go, and Doug didn’t seem to mind.

“You smell like bakery,” Rachael teased.

“Sorry about that. We were slammed at work today. We had to add another five batches of Clouds to the schedule, and it still isn’t going to be enough.”

“Don’t be sorry. I love that smell. It reminds me of my Dad. And my Mom sometimes, too.”

“I like it too,” Darla commented.

“Anyway,” Doug continued. “Your Mom and Dad aren’t going to be here at three like they planned. Your mom said you should take charge. They hope to make it by 5 at the latest.”

“Aw, Bobby will be sad that they are missing it. Did you see if Grandma and Grandpa made it?”

“Yes, and there is another very old lady with a walker. Gary is in the kitchen helping along with Ali. Is she his girlfriend?”

“I think so,” Rachael said. “They may not know it yet, though. That is Luke, her son.” She pointed out the boy, clearly new to skating, who was wearing his laces far too loose. “I need to help him tighten him up. You guys have fun.”

She skated off towards Luke. “Having a bit of trouble?” she asked.

“Yeah.” The boy was near tears. “It is my first time skating. Gary got me these skates, but I can’t skate as well as Bobby and Marc.”

“Well, part of your problem is your skates aren’t tight enough. That is half the battle. Bobby is skating for the first time, and he and I are both in used skates.”

“His first time?” Luke said in awe as Rachael pulled him to the hockey player’s box, and hoisted him up to the bench. His skates were so loose she could stick a finger in them. She retied them tight.

“How’s that?”

“It hurts a little,” Luke said.

“That’s perfect then. Here come Bobby, Marc and Jerry.” When the four boys got to their friend in the box with Rachael, Marc joked. “Are you serving a penalty, Luke?”

“Now boys. This is Luke’s first time today too. I know Marc had a lot of experience, and it looks like Jerry has skated before. But if you could help Luke out the way that you did for Bobby, he’ll soon be on your team.”

Rachael caught up with Robert, and skated with him as Larissa skated with her boyfriend Mark. Mikki felt like a third wheel until Tony showed up. Both of the boys were not official guests at the party, but Rachael invited them to lunch and the cake and ice cream.

As she was skating, she noticed a young boy tearing through the center of the ice. It was tradition in Ingersoll Arena that slower skaters stayed in the middle, while the better skaters took the long way around. Fast skating was right near the boards, and couples skating leisurely skated in a middle track.

In horror, Rachael noticed the boy speed through the middle, knocking Danni down as she skated with Lisa, who had to dodge away from the boy to avoid the same fate. Rachael raced over to cuddle the crying girl, who had bumped her head on the ice when she tumbled.

Rachael looked up, and was amazed to see Bobby tearing after the boy who had hit Danni. Incredibly, he caught up with the boy, who was at least five years older, and then leapt at him, tackling him around the legs and nearly getting a skate in the face.

“Go help Bobby,” Rachael told Robert. The boy was back on his feet, and Bobby looked as though he was going to fight, although the boy towered over him.

“What did you do that for?” the boy said, Robert could hear as he approached.

“You ran over one of my friends,” Bobby said, his anger boiling. “You need to go back and apologize to her.”

“She shouldn’t be at the arena if she can’t skate,” the boy retorted. “Are you going to make me apologize?”

“No, but I will,” Robert said, skating over to stand behind Bobby. The other boy now hesitated. He was still taller than Robert, but fighting him would not be a walk in the park like a tussle with the little guy would. And like most bullies, he didn’t like to get into a fight he couldn’t win easily.

“Okay, okay,” he said. “I’ll apologize.”

“And be more careful next time,” Bobby said.

Almost the entire skating party was surrounding Rachael and Danni when they got there. Those who had seen it glared at the strange boy. He approached Danni, and apologized in a fairly sincere manner.

Just then a man approached the group wearing boots and Arena coveralls. “What’s going on here?” he said. “I heard that there was someone skating wild through the center ice and knocked a little girl over.”

“Yes, but it is all over now,” Rachael said.

“You.” The man pointed at Marc. “You are banned.” Apparently, for no reason except perhaps the boy’s height, the man assumed Marc was the culprit.

“No no,” Rachael said. “It was not him.”

“It wasn’t him, mister,” the new boy said. “It was me. That kid wasn’t even close.”

The ice man stood for a minute, trying to decide what to do. Rachael jumped in again, and suggested that everything was fine now, and he finally turned around and left, after announcing that the next hooliganism would result in a ban.

“Thank you for being honest,” she told the boy. “What is your name?”

“I’m Josh,” he said. “I really am sorry. Maybe I can take the little girls for a skate to make up for being so stupid.”

Lisa was first to agree, and then Danni finally nodded yes. Before they left, each one holding one of Josh’s hands, Rachael invited Josh to have lunch with them. The three skated off.

“And you, mister,” she said to Bobby. “Never, ever again tear off after someone like that. And never tackle a person on skates. The blades are dangerous, and you could have been injured badly. Going to the hospital kind of injured. What would Mamma say if I let that happen?”

Bobby suddenly realized what he had done, and apologized sincerely. Then Marc chipped in noting how fast Bobby had been skating when he had chased down the teen. “You were flying,” the tall boy said.

“I wasn’t thinking about anything,” Bobby said. “I just wanted to nail the guy who hurt Danni.”

“Well, I think we should have a race,” Marc said.

“Keep to the outside then,” Rachael warned.

The boys had a race, from the redline area (the ice was not yet painted for hockey) once around to the same spot. Rachael watched, and was amazed that Bobby nearly kept up with Marc, and stayed ahead of Jerry as they tore around the rink, Luke was better now, but still hadn’t made it halfway around when Jerry came in third. The three speedsters skated carefully through the center ice, and then the four moved to a middle track, where they continued to give Luke a chance to improve.

At five minutes to three, Rachael’s watch beeped, and she asked Robert to gather up all the folks for the party while she went to the ticket booth. Now that she saw that Bobby liked skating, she knew what to get him for a second present.

She got back to the hall to find that all the kids had skates off, and were slip-sliding along the waxed hardwood floor. She dropped her skates, and went off to greet Mrs. Winchester, who was sitting with Grandpa and Grandma, having a lovely chat.

“Grandma, Mrs. Winchester is coming to Sunday dinner with us. Would you like to join in?”

“Yes dear, I would,” Grandma said “I know I’m an entire generation younger than her and your grandfather, but I find their talk about the old days fascinating. Plus I know what a good cook you are.”

“Dear,” Mrs. Winchester said. “I wasn’t able to get your brother a present. I just don’t know what a boy that age would like. I wonder if he would like this.” She showed a beautiful red rose, just starting to open.

“Oh my. One of your roses,” Rachael was touched. The woman treated the roses as her children, and she was willing to cut one for Bobby.

“Will he like it?” the old lady asked.

“Well, roses are not a boy thing,” Rachael admitted. “But he does have a special someone, and if it wouldn’t bother you if he passed it on to her …”

“Of course, dear. That would be fine.”

Rachael stood up and clapped her hands until all the sliding stopped, and the adults became quiet. “Okay people. I thought Mom and Dad would be here, but they got held up at work feeding all of Ingersoll. Luckily, we are part of who is getting fed, with the buns for hotdogs, and donuts and pastries from the bakery. There is also rumor of a cake, but I don’t see it anywhere.”

“Before we start, I want to have one present given. We will do the rest after we eat. Bobby, can you come up?”

The boy had met Mrs. Winchester at the dinner on Wednesday, but was still a little shy in front of her. “Darling boy,” the lady said. “I don’t have much at my age, but I would like to give you this.” She handed the rose to Bobby.

“Thank you ma’am,” Bobby said politely. Rachael whispered in his ear and his eyes brightened. He then walked over to where Danni was standing in front of her parents, and handed the rose to her.

“This is the prettiest flower I have ever seen,” he said, holding the rose out to her. “It should go to the prettiest girl I know.”

Danni gasped as she gently took the flower, looking first at it, and then at the boy who had given it to her. Tears appeared in her eyes and she passed the rose to her mother, and then leapt onto Bobby, embracing him in a hug.

“First you are my hero, ready to beat up a big kid for me, then you give me this. I love you Bobby Baron.” She kissed him on the cheek, and refused to let go for several minutes.

There was a chorus of oohs from the women in the crowd, and Mrs. Winchester beamed at the attention her modest gift had gotten.

Mark Russett, Doug and Tony were nudged by their girlfriends, in a ‘that’s how you treat a lady’ way. Robert was not with Rachael, so he might have thought he was going to avoid that, but then Mrs. Jackson gave him the same nudge.

“So if anyone is hungry, line up at the booth for a hotdog,” Rachael called out. “There are condiments on the first table. I suggest kids go first, then adults. Mikki, Larissa and I will look after the seniors. There will be enough for everyone to get seconds, but do take one at a time. Same with the bakery goodies.”

“Finally, the hotdogs are a special production of Chuck and Sisters Meat Market, which is opening in a few weeks next to the Bread Baron.”

“Six days,” Ruby shouted from the booth. “We will open at 9 next Friday for a soft launch, with a grand opening a few weeks later. We will be closed on Sundays.”

Rachael took over again, even as kids were racing to get in line for the food. “Remember, there is cake and ice cream after we do the presents,” she said, but wondered if anyone heard in the mad dash for food.

The dogs were Ruby’s B brand for the kids and a many sets of eyes widened in surprise and delight when they bit into the flavored wieners. Only one child complained about the different taste, and Ruby cooked him a Schneider’s store bought dog, which satisfied him. While the kids were eating the adults came up to order, with Mikki, Larissa, and Rachael getting dogs for the elderly guests. Mrs. Winchester was pleased with the hot dog Rachael served her, and commented on the unique and unusual taste.

Adults and teens had a choice of the B dogs their kids got, or the spicier D dogs. Some asked for E, but the super hot level were not available to make it easier to handle the crowd.

The girls got back into line after serving the seniors, and found that they were being swarmed by kids looking for a second dog. Donuts and pasteries were out as well, and many of the kids in line were eating a donut as they waited for their second hot dog. Rachael smiled at that. All the exercise skating certainly would explain the healthy appetites.

After a few more minutes everyone was happily full, with a few teens getting third hot dogs.

Rachael stood up: “While we are all down to the nibbles stage on our food, I want to start with the gifts. I do notice that there are quite a few lemon Danish pastries left, and I need to tell you that they are to die for. Hopefully Ruby will grab one, and put it aside for me, since I don’t think it would be polite to be talking with my mouth full of Mike’s awesome lemon.”

“We have some gifts for the birthday boy, and I want him to pull his chair up here so I can hand them to him. I have a special request for the first gift, which is from the little girl holding the rose.” With that Rachael handed him a small package, while Danni danced on her toes in front of her mother.

Bobby opened the package, and it was a book. To be specific, it was the Third Harry Potter book. He looked at it, and then turned to Rachael, asking: “From the library?”

“No Bobby, that is your very own book. Danni bought it for you.”

“My own book? My very own?” He clutched the book to his chest. “I’ve never had a book of my very own.” He then ran over to Danni and hugged her tightly, whispering ‘Thank you,’ to her.

And the next present is from Mikki. She handed the boy a similar sized package. It was Harry Potter book four. “Two books,” he squealed, and ran over to give Mikki a hug.

Harry Potter book five was the next present, from the Stoners and Alison got the hug for this.

Book Six was from Kyle, who was still working, and then the final book in the series was from Rachael, who also got a hug. “Look inside the front page, Bobby,” his sister prompted. It was a small card, and Bobby was confused.

“That is a pass to use the arena for the next three weeks, until the hockey schools start,” she told him. He leapt up to give her an even bigger hug, and whispered “Best present ever” to his sister, who thought ‘until you get Mom and Dad’s.’

“Finally, finishing off a theme, could Gary get his gift for Bobby?”

The caretaker brought out a present larger than the boy, covered in Kraft paper. Bobby tore away the paper to reveal a beautiful bookshelf made of wood that had been in the shed. It was three shelves high, and four feet long.

“I can keep all my books in it,” Bobby squealed, putting the five books he had received into the shelf. “I wonder if I can fill it up?”

“Well, it will be a good place to keep your library books safe,” Rachael said. “And I know that by the time you get into college you will have it filled.”

Bobby was about to run and jump on Gary when the man raised his hand. “There is more,” he said. “A secret compartment.”

He whispered into Bobby’s ear, and then stood so people could not see the boy trip the compartment. It took three tries for Bobby to get it, but suddenly a compartment at the top of the cabinet popped open. Gary moved so that everyone could see. There was a false back on the top shelf and a compartment that was about 2.5 inches wide running the full width of the cabinet. The secret compartment was spring activated by the trigger, and the top of the cabinet split into a long door that gave access, and could be closed with a click.

“That is so awesome, Gary,” Bobby said, completing his hug.

“What little boy doesn’t like a secret compartment,” Rachael said. “And I know that there are a lot of adults here that are impressed by your workmanship, and will want to talk to you about other furniture contracts.”

The next present was from Luke, and Rachael was pretty sure that Gary had been involved in it as well. It was a light for his bike that used the motion of the wheels to power the lamp. “And that comes with installation and a lesson in bike repairs,” Gary said. “Luke and you will both get a lesson on how to fix a tire, put a popped chain back, and some other things that a boy wants to know. You can even bring along your other friends.”

There were more presents, and Bobby got more and more excited. He had never had more than two small presents before and now he was getting dozens, between the two parties he had.

“Now, skating time is slipping away,” Rachael said. “So perhaps we should just skip cake and ice cream and get back on the ice. Is that okay?”

There was a chorus of ‘No’ from the kids, so Rachael nodded and Gary and Ali went into the kitchen to bring out the cake, as Ruby went and got the ice creams out of the freezer.

The cake was covered in foil, and when Rachael lifted it, to show the goalie in his net, the entire crowd was in awe. “Mike made that for me,” Bobby said in a whisper.

“Yep Tiger. I think you will have to make one of your special hugs up for him.”

“I will. This is so awesome. I wish I could just keep it. But I want to eat it too.”

“We have a picture of it, and we can put it in your room to remember it by,” Rachael said. Meanwhile, Ali had placed ten candles on the cake, scattered across the cake, and then lit them.

A chorus of Happy Birthday was sung, and Bobby tried to blow out the candles. Since they were not close together, he only got four in his first breath, but then got the rest in a second breath. Rachael handed Bobby the knife, and told him he should cut the first slice, and find out what kind of cake was underneath the colorful icing.

He cut in, and after that cut he could see: “It’s chocolate” and cheers came up from the kids in the crowd.

Rachael helped Bobby put the first slice on a paper plate, and then told him to deliver it. He immediately carried it over to Danni, who got a huge smile.

“Remember, Ruby has ice cream ready, so take your cake to her if you want a scoop. Stand in line nicely. There are chocolate, chocolate chip and Rocky Road flavors, so make your mind up when you are in line. Not when you get to the front.” Rachael took over the cutting duties after the first slice, and kids lined up: first for cake, and then for ice cream. Mikki and Larissa took slices over to the seniors. Grandpa was the only one wanting ice cream, asking for vanilla. Larissa gave him a small scoop of chocolate chip, which pleased him as being mostly vanilla.

With that, Rachael announced another round of skating, which brought cheers again from the sugared up kids. She again had a session of skate tying and tightening, and soon had everyone back on the ice.

She headed back to the hall to clean up, and found it was spotless. Mr. Stoner and Gary had taken all the presents out to the bakery van and all the women had cleaned the hall.

Rachael walked out to the arena with the women, and stood with Ali, Ruby and Mrs. Stoner as they watched their kids enjoying themselves. “Danni never wanted to skate before,” Mrs. Stoner said. “Same with Darla,” Ruby noted. “Now look at her, skating along with a boyfriend.”

“You might want to put Danni into figure skating this fall,” Rachael said. “Darla is probably a little old, but she will definitely want to keep coming to public skating, if it means being able to hold onto her man.”

“Oh, look. Luke fell,” Ali gasped. But the boy got right back up and continued to skate. “I can’t believe how well he is doing for his first time.”

“Marc is a good teacher,” Rachael explained. “It is Bobby’s first time on skates too. Does Gary skate?”

“Gary can do anything,” Ali said in a breathless voice. This girl is so much in love, Rachael thought.

“You might want Gary to give Luke some lessons. He really seems to like the boy,” Rachael said.

“Luke loves him too,” Ali said. “I guess I haven’t had provided him with any good father figures before. I hope that Gary sticks around.”

“I suspect he will,” Rachael said. “Gary is the sticking around type. And I know he really likes you.”

“Does he? Do you really think so? Oh, that would be so special.”

“I do. Now if you three don’t mind, I want to get back on the ice. There is a young man out there that needs a partner.”

It was six o’clock when the public skate was over. The ice needed to be resurfaced, and then another layer of ice added, as well as the hockey markings. Apparently a summer league had been formed and was playing each evening until the end of August.

Rachael and Robert were busy untying skates, and making sure that the right skates went out the door with the right child. When they were done, Rachael saw her parents standing with Ruby and Ali. The Stoners had already left.

Gary then came out to Ali, with Luke in tow. “Come my dear,” he told her. “We need to get to the babysitters and pick up your other two darlings.”

Ali took a quick glance at Rachael that said ‘that is the first time he called me dear’ and smiled broadly as she left the arena.

Darla came over to join her sister, and Ruby said: “We should go now, too, I guess.”

“Come into the hall for a moment,” Rachael said. “You are family, darn near. There is one more surprise.”

Bobby had dragged his parents in the hall, wanting to show them all his presents, and was sad to see they were all packed away. That didn’t stop him from animatedly recounting all the events of the day.

After he had wound down a bit, Geoff reached into his pocket and said. “This is our gift to you, son.”

Bobby looked at the paper but couldn’t make head nor tail of it. He handed it to Rachael, who was his go-to for reading problems. She didn’t need to look to know it was a receipt for the hockey school.

“It is the receipt for hockey school,” she said. “Mommy and Daddy have decided that you deserve to go to the school for two weeks. It costs a lot of money, but they had enough, and feel you are worth it.”

Bobby sat stunned. Marc had bragged about hockey school, but said it cost $1000. He didn’t know that Rachael had gotten him in for half that cost. Bobby started to cry.

“These are happy tears,” he finally was able to say as he hugged his mother. “I never thought we could go to something like that. We are poor.”

“Not so poor, anymore,” Geoff said as the boy transferred his hugs to him. “We are just a hard working family, that can do things when we save up for them. And this is something we saved for.”

“I am the luckiest little boy in the world,” Bobby wailed, moving over to Rachael. “I love you all so much.”

They got home that night to find that Gary had loaded all the gifts into the living room. Grandma and Grandpa were home now and Rachael wasn’t sure how. Then it hit her. The Hobo Army was at work, and apparently had driven a thrilled Mrs. Winchester home as well.

Bobby had another hour of excitement as he showed all his gifts all over again to his parents. Maria insisted that he show her the secret of the hidden compartment. She didn’t want her son to have a hiding place from her as he went into his teen years. Bobby didn’t mind showing it off anyway. At his age, it was more for his imagination than for actually hiding anything from his family.

Geoff and Rachael wrestled the bookshelf into his room, where Bobby immediately filled one shelf with books, both his new ones and his library books. The remaining shelves were then filled with other treasures he had gotten on his birthday.

Rachael made a light supper of soup and sandwiches, and the family had a wonderful family time until just after eight, when there was a thump on the living room carpet. It was Bobby’s head. He had totally run out of gas and fallen asleep as he watched TV. Geoff picked him up and carried him off to bed.

Grandma then asked for a ride home, and by the time Geoff was back Rachael had also put Grandpa to bed.

Geoff slumped on the sofa. “I’m beat. I know we worked harder during the Love Bread crisis, but this seems worse. I know we certainly made more money than ever before, thanks to Rachael raising the price on Clouds.”

“Do we need to hire another baker?” Maria suggested.

“I don’t think so,” Geoff said. “It is a situation of diminishing returns. Mike doubled our production, but a third baker would leave us getting into each other’s way. Maybe we can handle a third student, since Clouds seem to be a weekend thing. We will have to think it over. Partner.”

Maria just cuddled in closer. “Let’s go upstairs, partner. I want to show you what I think of your management style.”

Rachael just rolled her eyes at the love talk. She really didn’t mind, unlike any other teen on the planet. She liked that her parents were in love, and willing to show it. She really didn’t have any schoolwork to do, so she read in bed for a while, and then slid over the side.

Dear Lord

Please help Mrs. Winchester make her decision on whether she wants to move into a home. I am worried now that she might have had trouble getting ready for bed. I should have gone over to help. I am so sorry.

It’s just that the afternoon was so special. I know that it was the best day of Bobby’s life. I think it might have been the best day of my life too. My birthday is August 25 and I hope they don’t feel they have to equal this celebration. I would love just a small party with Bobby and my parents, Grandpa and Grandma, Helen and Steve, Gary and Alison, the Stoners, some kids from class, and gosh, I think I am already over the numbers Bobby had. I want a small party, but I want all the people I love there too, and there are so many.

But that is far away. Let’s take it one day at a time.

Amen

up
310 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A joyous read.

Robyn B's picture

Dawn, this story is such a wonderful read.

What with all the bad news in the media, the negativity within the community, the deceit and treachery of politicians and people of power, it is a positive joy to read this story. A story of delight, goodness, passion, caring, renewal, new beginnings, positive role modelling, the infectious good attitudes developing within the children and adults alike.

I look forward to the posting of each new chapter...

And to think that the story line is only a couple of months old.

Robyn B
Sydney

Best chapter ever.

To quote a birthday boy. A very fun one too.

last depression?

dani4familyfun's picture

I didnt think there was a depression since the 1930s. Shouldnt that read last recession?

By the way - well organized party.

Dani

Dani4FamilyFun

You ok Dawn?

dani4familyfun's picture

You ok Dawn? We all are anxiously awaiting the next chapter.
Dani

Dani4FamilyFun

Sore throat

Should be something soon.

Dawn

The has to be at least 1

Samantha Heart's picture

Bully at the ice rink but Rachel, Bobby, & Robert took care of the situation. Bobby had a good birthday, I wonder what Rachel''s will be like... stay tuned on that & the older lady who owns the house next to the church. I hope everything works out in the end for everyone involved.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Old house

Perhaps she can pass some of the parts of the old house, along with any money she makes selling it, on to her family. And then, she can still give the land to the church.

"Diminishing Returns"

Beoca's picture

I would imagine that if they hired a third baker, it would be to enable the bakery to essentially run three eight hour baking shifts, separated from any action or lack thereof going on up front (which would enable production to increase by the theoretical amount if they increase staffing as appropriate). Have one going from 7-3, one from 3-11, and one from 11-7. Or is the bakery small enough that there is no more than a walkway between the machines and the counter (making it impossible for full scale baking operations to be going while serving customers)?

If they can do this, the returns might not be as diminished as Geoff thinks. And the smells of products baking would constantly be in the air, which would definitely attract business.

Bobbie and Danni sittin' in a tree...

Jamie Lee's picture

Bobbie may not know it, or realize it, but that one act of giving her that flower boosted her confidence ten fold. It also brought the two of them a bit closer in their relationship.

Bobbie may have chosen his career because of his love of books, but he won't realize it for some years.

Rachael's second chance has touched so many lives, changed so many lives, that people are again concerned about people. Mrs. Winchester is the latest person she's worried about, even thinking she should have helped Mrs. Winchester get ready for bed.

At some point someone is going to bring Rachael to the front and everyone she's helped in some way is going to publically thank her, much to her chargrin.

Others have feelings too.

You forgot...

You forgot to add 'Hankie Alert' to the header.

Now, I have another two stories to read. Or, rather, two chapters. But it's getting late, so I'll have to do it tomorrow. And also squeeze in some writing of my own.

hope for a new chapter soon.

dani4familyfun's picture

i miss my second chance. Hope we get a new chapter soon.
Dani

Dani4FamilyFun

So many happy tears

This story just brings joy to my life, and at this time of rioting and pandemics, I need joy.