Take Two Girls - Part 2

Printer-friendly version

Andrea was already sure that Lucy was going to be her ticket away from this flat and some of the problems her neighbours had been giving her in recent weeks. The recent damage to her face was clear evidence of that.

She closed the door with a sigh and looked at her watch. Time was getting on and she'd have to be on her way out in a little while. For the past three and a half months she'd been working the nightshift at the local depot of a National Delivery Company. Decent jobs for someone like her were few and far between so it was unskilled zero hours contracts all the way for the foreseeable future.

At least this was not in one of the many fast-food joints that seem to concentrate close to Universities these days. The pay she received wasn't that great but it allowed her to put some away each week towards the next phase of her transition to Andrea. Despite being on a 'zero' hours contract, Andrea had kept her head down and done her job not only meeting expectations and targets but exceeding them. This was probably why she'd lasted so long in the job.

That night in her meal break, Andrea began compiling a list in her mind. The list contained her demands and the changes that Lucy will have to complete before they headed south and the birthday bash.

Over the next few days, she edited the list several times until she was finally satisfied with its contents.

On her way home from work, she dropped a small note through the letterbox at Lucy's home. It was inviting her to come to Andrea's for lunch the following Saturday.

Andrea spent most of that Saturday morning cleaning the already spotless flat and preparing lunch for the two women. Her domestic credentials were two things that she was particularly proud of. She had her grandmother Elsie to thank for that. The word for it was 'house-proud' and Andrea was certainly that.

She prepared a nice meal for the two of them. She hoped that Lucy would agree to her terms with a nice meal and a glass or two of wine inside her.

Right on schedule, Lucy rang the bell at Andrea's flat.

Andrea opened the door to let her in. Lucy had made a bit of an effort to smarten herself up and was wearing a clean pair of jeans that didn't have the seemingly obligatory holes in the knees, a clean lavender coloured top and a pair of the all too common 'ballet pumps'. She'd even done something with her normally very unruly hair.

"Come on in Lucy, you look very nice today," said a smiling Andrea.

Lucy saw Andrea and felt distinctly under-dressed. Nevertheless, she entered the flat and slipped off her shoes. At least these were easier to remove than the boots she normally wore.

Andrea was dressed in a simple Mary Quant Black and White two-piece suit from the late 1960's. This was matched with a simple white turtleneck jumper and topped with a single band necklace made of Jet. She also wore seamed, fully-fashioned stockings and 2in heeled black patent court shoes. Everything apart from the jumper and the stockings had been bought from charity shops. Despite the low price she'd paid, it felt good on her, very good indeed.

"You don't look so bad yourself," commented Lucy.

"Oh this? This is mostly from Charity Shops. I do like to dress nicely when I have someone to dress for," replied Andrea.
Lucy laughed.

"You don't have to go to any trouble for me you know," responded Lucy.

"Oh Lucy, but I do, I really do."

Lucy looked a little surprised by that remark.

Andrea saw this and changed the subject.
"Come, sit down and we can talk as we eat," suggested Andrea.

Lucy saw the food already lay out on the table and did as Andrea suggested.
"This looks good," said Lucy.

"I hope you like it. There is chicken casserole in the large dish and some vegetables and potatoes in the other one so please help yourself;" said Andrea as she sat down and removed the lids on the dishes.

Lucy's stomach gave a small rumble as she savoured the delightful smells emanating from the dishes.
"I didn't expect this," said Lucy as she helped herself.

As she did so, Andrea poured them both a glass of an excellent Chilean Merlot.

Andrea helped herself to some food and then raised her glass.
"Cheers."

Lucy responded.
"Cheers."

They both sipped the wine and then tucked into the food. Lucy smiled, as she tasted the casserole. It was delicious.
"This is very good. Slightly hot but not too hot."

"Thanks Lucy. It is not that often that I get to cook for someone."

They ate some more.

Then Andrea said almost offhandedly,
"I'll be your partner for the weekend."

Lucy almost choked on her food.
"You will?" she gasped.

"Yes, I will, but there are a few conditions though."

Lucy groaned inside. It had seemed far too easy.

As much as Lucy wanted to, she held back from any questions until they'd finished eating. The food was far too good to waste.

As Lucy put her knife and fork together down on an empty plate, she asked,

"What are the conditions?"

Andrea smiled back and said,
"Look around you. What do you see?"

"I'm not sure what you mean?" asked Lucy.

"This is my home, well at least for the moment. Then compare it to yours. What do you see?"

Lucy thought for a while.
"Ok, yours is much neater and sort of retro. Is that what you want me to say?"

Andrea smiled.
"Not really. How neat and tidy is your home? Especially with those two you live with? Do you want to live like that for the rest of your life? Remember I did see your place at your graduation party."

"Ok, I need to tidy up."

"No Lucy, that's not it."

"What is it then? I don't understand?"

Andrea sighed.

"It is you that is going to have to change. I'm most certainly not going to change. I've changed enough to get there I am today. "

"Ok. I get it."

Andrea looked at Lucy.

"I don't think you do, 'get it'."

"Let me try to explain…"

"If you and more importantly we, are to pull this stunt off it has to be totally believable. Not just a veneer but really solid and convincing. It is clear to me that your parents will put the two of us under the microscope the minute we appear on the scene. If you really want to fool them into thinking that you are a Lesbian or appear to be then both of us will have to be word perfect, polished and faultless. Your Mother, if she is like mine, will pick up the slightest imperfection in our story in an instant and once she has calmed down she will pull our story apart at the seams and destroy you in the process."

"Are you with me so far?"

"I think so."

"Comments?"

"Yeah, I think you are right about my Mother."

"Most mothers only want what they think is right for their offspring. Sadly, this vision does not always coincide with the actuality does it?"

Lucy nodded her head in agreement.
"In my honest opinion, the only way we can succeed is that we have to live together from now until the weekend. We become the couple we are supposed to appear to be. We learn everything there is to know about each other so that when we are grilled our stories match perfectly."

"So, I move in here? That's easy."

Andrea sighed.
"It is not as easy as that. Not by a long chalk."

"What do you mean?"

"Do we look like a couple?"

Lucy had to admit that they didn't.

"Ok so I buy a few clothes."

Andrea shook her head again.

"No, once again, it is not that simple."

She continued.
"There is a type of acting called Method Acting. This is where the actor immerses himself or herself totally in the part they are playing so that they create themselves in the thoughts and feelings of their character. They sort of become one with the character. Actors such as Jack Nicholson follow it. Between now and the start of that weekend, every day and everything we do is our rehearsal. We don't have the luxury of press previews. From the instant, we arrive at your parents we are on stage for the extended first night. Are you with me so far?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"Good. Following on with the theme of demonstrating the new improved and grown up you, you are going to clean up your act and live like me. I'm going to move from here into your place and together we are going to transform it into a decent place to live, most certainly not a student house and along with what all that implies. What happens if your parents decide to make a surprise visit to your home and see the state it is in right now. Ok, I've seen a lot worse student houses but if you are to prove to your parents that you have grown up and are making adult decisions then the place has to look… more like this. I know this style if a bit eclectic but compare this to the virtual doss house that your place has become… Which one would say 'A responsible adult lives here'?"

Andrea paused to take a breath.

"I don't know if this will work or drive us insane and hate each other. I know I can do it simple because I've been acting most of my life. Remember I had to play the role of a boy for sixteen years. Yes, that was how long from when I first realised that I should have been a girl to when I came out. If I could to then a few days pretending to be your lover is going to be difficult but not beyond me provided I prepare properly. The problem Lucy is you. How convincing can you be? That is why we need to make it as real as we can."

Andrea looked at Lucy. She sat there with her mouth open in amazement.

"Hopefully this will prove to your parents that you are grown up and can make her own decisions and they can let go of their darling baby. By proving that you are a responsible adult in a steady relationship they, with any luck will not throw a wobbly at the fact that you appear to be a lesbian. While there is nothing wrong with being a lesbian, many people of their age may well find it hard to accept. Therefore, the more that we can do to make their acceptance of us as a couple a easy and painless as possible."

Andrea smiled at Lucy.

"Oh, and by the way, you will get your hair done and I mean done properly and start wearing makeup every day. Then you will start dressing as an adult and not a teenager. Well, you aren't one any more, now are you?"

Lucy continued to sit there with her mouth open. She couldn't believe what Andrea was saying and her demands on her.

"How… How did you know all this? All this needs to be done? It must have taken you hours to think of all that…" stuttered Lucy.

Andrea smiled and stood up offering Lucy her hand.

"Come with me and I'll show you."

Slightly bewildered, she followed Andrea into her bedroom.

"There is the answer," said Andrea pointing to her bookshelf.

The bookcase was completely filled with 'Mills & Boon' romances.

[Continued in part 3]

up
300 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Had to smile

Podracer's picture

at that last line :)
And yeah, there's that acting experience, right up until pulling the mask off.

"Reach for the sun."

It did bring a smile to me

when I wrote it.
It just seemed to fit.
Samantha

I kije this

I like it mostly because I don't have a certainty of where it is going to end up

Andrea may

not be acting long term

Mills & Boon??

joannebarbarella's picture

Hardly primers on Girlhood 101. What is Andrea's plan?

Unforeseen requirements

Jamie Lee's picture

From Andrea's requirements, it seems evident that Lucy was never taught how to take pride in her appearance or her living quarters. It's as though everything was done for the family, so pride was never learned. And it's evident that Lucy was never given responsibilities she had to deal with, hence not knowing how to properly take care of herself or her apartment.

Andrea's requirements are going to be difficult for Lucy to comply with, especially when they meet the parents. Lucy will be too worried they will uncover the truth and once again try to force her into an unwanted marriage.

But, how earnest is Lucy's desire to keep her parents off her back with a forced marriage? Is her resolve enough to make the fake partnership work?

Now for the big question, what happens afterwards? What occurs after the party is over and they come back to school? Will Lucy have really changed after spending the week and weekend with Andrea? Will Andrea continue living with Lucy? Will the fake partnership become a true relationship once Lucy realizes Andrea is the person she wants to be with?

Others have feelings too.