Princess and the Plague: Erika goes to Hollywood 2

Printer-friendly version


Princess and the Plague:
Erika goes to Hollywood
2

by Anistasia Allread
313722-PartyintheHeavenLAYOUTMAHAHAIDER-1325172079-798-640x480.jpg

Chapter 2

Erika slipped her sandals on under her long loose skirt and tank top. Everyone else seemed to be wearing tank tops. She had brought hers to sleep in, but it would work to get her to the photo shoot.

Brook stood with one hand on the door waiting for her. “She’ll be fine.” She was assuring Erika’s mother. “I’ll be with her the whole time. Rest and enjoy Mr. Winter’s gift. We’ll keep you informed throughout the day.”

“Gift?” Erika questioned groggily.

“Mr. Winters gave me a gift certificate to a spa down the street.”

“Lucky.” Erika stated. She hated mornings yet as a model she would be expected to be available at ungodly hours.

Brook smiled and ushered her out of the room, once again assuring her mother that Erika would be just fine.

“No limo?” Erika questioned as Brook led her to a newer compact.

“Sorry. It’s just the two of us so this is easier.”

Erika hopped in and put on her seatbelt. The warmth that radiated from the concrete yesterday hadn’t returned yet. The air, now pleasant, promised to warm up. The blue sky hadn’t a cloud in it, although looking towards the distant brown hills the amber haze of smog seemed a strange thing for someone from Constitution.

It wasn’t long before Brook pulled into an underground garage and drove down a few levels before finding parking.

“We can stop for coffee in the lobby if you’d like.” Brook began getting out of the car. “We made good time getting here.”

Erika was surprised at the line of people waiting for their turn at coffee on a Saturday morning. The aroma permeating the lobby was delicious. It wasn’t long before she and Brook were standing in an elevator sipping on their brew.

“I’ve never had head shots taken.” Erika confided. “I’ve actually only done two modeling shoots.”

“Mr. Winters informed me.” Brook smiled. “He is a good man and because he only works with the best, he must know as much as he can about them. Everyone gets a thorough back ground check. In your case, even your parents were checked out.”

“Really?” Erika was impressed and a bit uncertain about everything being found out. Mr. Winters knew her secret, did that mean that Brook did? The elevator opened and Brook led Erika into a monochromatic shiny reception area being flooded with the mornings light streaming through the windows.

“Brooklyn!” an obviously gay man strode towards them. “I’m so thrilled to see you again.” He cast a glance at Erika then back to Brook. “This is Hal’s latest project?”

“Clyde,” Brook and he exchanged cheek kisses. “This is Erika Summers. The newest and soon to be hottest model in demand.”

Clyde stood back and studied Erika as if he were studying a prized dog or horse. “She has potential, definitely.” He stated. “She hasn’t developed quite yet. Late bloomer, huh? Well, with those blue eyes and that dark hair… well, too bad they are extensions. Skin tone looks great though.”

“I’m standing right here.” Erika almost growled. Who did this guy think he was?

“I see that, but you need to stand up straight, sweetie. Shoulders back, tits out. You need to own the room, not lounge in it.”

“Be nice, Clyde, she doesn’t have any experience.” Brook interrupted.

Clyde rolled his eyes and waved a hand as if waving away the conversation. “Let’s get you in front of the camera and see what it says.”

Erika looked at Brook “Seriously?” She mouthed.

“Just go with it. Clyde’s one of the best in the business.” She whispered as they followed the photographer through some doors.

Erika’s jaw fell open as they entered a large room full of camera equipment, lights and various other items. She didn’t know anything about photography, but she could tell that this stuff was top of the line and worth a fortune.

“Maria!” Clyde called. “Maria, this is Erika.”

A pretty Mexican woman approached.

“Maria is your savior.” Clyde told Erika. “Maria will do your hair and makeup.”

“Hello, Erika.” Maria greeted. Beautiful mocha skin and a white smile greeted her. “Wow, aren’t you pretty. I love those eyes. Those blue eyes with dark hair? You must have boys lined up in front of your house.”

Erika blushed. “Thank you, Maria.”

“I want to see what the camera is telling us, Maria.” Clyde interrupted her. “You.” He pointed at Erika. “Erika?” Had he forgotten her name? “Sit on that stool.” He pointed to a plain back drop with a stool sitting in front of a tripod.

Erika handed her coffee to Brook and did as he instructed. Brook and Maria stood off to the side speaking in hushed tones as Clyde began fussing with light meters and lights and other pieces of equipment.

Erika heard the sound of the camera before she realized that he had stopped fussing and was not snapping shots. He began speaking to her. First giving her easy instructions then asking for more abstract ideas and interpretations.

“Enough, enough.” He suddenly stepped back and planted hands on hips. “That’s enough. Go see Maria.”

Erika practically leaped off of the stool to get away from the strange man.

“That looked very good, Erika.” Brook smiled.

“I don’t think Clyde liked it.” Erika grimaced.

“He’s a bit gruff, but he spent more time taking those pictures than he normally does.” Maria added. “That’s a good sign. Come Erika, let’s get started.”

Brook handed Erika her coffee as they followed Maria to a makeup artists mirror and lights.

“I don’t think I like him.” Erika stated. “I don’t feel comfortable.”

“Many artists are like that.” Brook told her, “I’ve met much worse here in Hollywood.”

“Really?”

Brook nodded.

“Why did he want pictures of me without makeup hair?”

“He does that with everyone.” Maria waited for Erika to sit in the chair before beginning to brush out her hair. “He says that the camera talks to him and tells him how to shoot people. He’ll be over in a bit to offer advice on how I should create your look.”

Brook and Maria were familiar with one another. They began sharing what was going on with each other’s life’s as Maria carefully curled Erika’s extensions. When she was about half way done. Clyde emerged from somewhere with a tablet.

“Well, Clyde?” Brook asked.

“The camera likes her.” Clyde said. “I felt she had something, but I had to get the camera’s insight before I knew for sure.” He held the tablet out for Brook to look at.

Brook scrolled through what must have been the pictures that they just took nodding her head. She looked at Erika a time or two and then back at the tablet. “I see what you mean.” She said. “I can’t put my finger on it.”

“Yes.” Clyde agreed. “It’s the intangible.”

“The spark?” Maria asked.

Clyde nodded. “She has the spark.” He looked at Erika studying her once again. “Erika, Darling.” His voice and mannerism totally changed from just a few minutes ago. “You are going to be a star.”

Erika wanted to laugh at him. He was so fake and wishy-washy. She looked at Brook who was still studying the pictures. While Clyde made a few suggestions to Maria.

Once gone, Erika looked at Maria and then at Brook. “What just happened?”

“You have what Clyde calls the ‘spark’” Maria wrapped another tress on the curling iron.

“I see what he’s saying.” Brook said slowly.

“I don’t understand.” Erika almost whined.

“There are plenty of stars out there, Erika.” Maria began, but only a few have the ‘spark’.”

“Marylyn Monroe had it. Elizabeth Taylor, Audrey Hepburn, Maureen O’Hara.” Brook began listing.

“I still don’t know what it means.” Erika protested.

“It means.” Maria stopped what she was doing and locked Erika’s gaze. “That the camera falls in love with you. It means that if you go on to do films that when you are on screen, that everyone’s eyes follow you, even if you are in the back ground, you are the one that the camera showcases. It’s very rare, very powerful.”

There was a pause.

“I’m sure Clyde says that to everyone he shoots.” Erika began to dismiss it.

“I just saw your pictures without makeup.” Brooks tone was serious. “They were stunning. Having the spark doesn’t always mean that you are beautiful, it just means that something unspoken is communicated through the lens.” She paused. “I’d better call Hal.” This had to be serious, she had called Mr. Winters by his first name.

When Brook returned, she had Clyde in tow. “I spoke to Hal and sent him the pictures.” She told everyone. “He has asked Clyde to go ahead and do a whole session. He’s on the phone with Teen Magazine. You may be staying another day or two in Hollywood.”

“Seriously?” Erika exclaimed.

Brook nodded.

“I called my assistant.” Clyde told Brook. “He’ll be here in thirty minutes.”

“Did anyone tell my mom?” Erika wondered.

Brook nodded. “Hal was on the phone with her as soon as he saw the photos. Sorry Erika, but we won’t be going to the commercial casting today.”

As interesting as that had sounded, Erika was kind of glad. She had never, ever acted before. Well, maybe the first few weeks of camp last summer, but in front of a camera? That was terrifying.

Maria was finishing up Erika’s makeup when a young Asian man entered and nearly sprinted to Clyde. “I’m here, Clyde.”

“I see that.” The photographer almost sneered. “Mr. Winters has changed his mind and wants a full photoshoot with this young lady.” He waved a hand absently in Erika’s direction.

Erika wondered if he had forgotten her name again.

Brook picked out a spring dress with a blue flower print on it. As soon as Erika was done, she slipped behind a screen and changed.

“You’re going to get tired of changing clothes today.” Brook warned.

Erika shrugged. Brook obviously had never been shopping with Samantha.

When she emerged from behind the screen, she saw the young assistant scurrying around checking and double checking everything, including extra cameras.

“I’m ready for my close up.” She kidded.

Clyde rolled his eyes and pretended like he hadn’t heard it. “Please take a seat again.”

Just as Erika had smoothed the skirt under herself, a racket from the door almost had her standing again.

“Got here as soon as I could. It’s a bit of a short notice.” A woman in her late twenties grumbled as she pulled a wheeled rack full of clothes into the studio. “Where do you want it?”

Brook looked to Maria who stepped forward and directed the placement of the cart just in front of the changing screen.

Clyde handed his camera to his assistant and rushed over and shooed the woman out. “I’m trying to work here. Leave.”

“I aint leaving until you’re done with those clothes. I’m in charge of them and if anything happens to them, it’s my job.”

“Fine, go sit in the lobby.”

“No.” She affirmed. “I stay with those clothes.”

“Fine, but be quiet, I’m working here.” Clyde growled. He rushed back, grabbing his camera from his assistant and monitored his voice. Sweetly, “Okay Erika, sit with your back to me and toss your head over your shoulder.” He began.

The next few hours were a blur. Between direction from Clyde, changing outfits put together by Brook from the rack and more photos, she had totally lost track of time until her stomach growled loudly. If Clyde had heard, he gave no indication, but Brook looked her way and then at her watch.

“Okay Clyde, we need to take a lunch break.” She touched the photographer’s shoulder.

Clyde startled at the touch as if being awakened from a dream.

“Huh?”

“Lunch.” Brook stated.

Clyde looked at his watch and frowned. “Fine. Be back in thirty minutes.”

“We’ll be back in an hour.” She took a defensive stance next to him.

He stared at her for a moment then grunted before storming off, tossing his camera to his assistant. Erika was shocked and relieved that the young man caught it with ease and began working on it.

“I promised you In-n-Out.” Brook smiled. She turned to Maria, “You want anything from In-n-Out?”

Maria’s head jerked towards them with a smile. “Yes please. Number one with vanilla and grilled onion.”

“She needs to change first.” The woman in charge of the clothes directed. “Can’t be slopping animal sauce on it.”

Erika darted behind the screen and quickly changed back into her tank top and skirt.

In-n-Out, she realized could be the death of her and her modeling career. The Double/Double was as delicious as it was filling. The fries were totally different than what she had experienced before, and the shake was fantastic. She could totally see wanting to visit the burger joint weekly at least. On second thought, perhaps twice weekly.

The hour lunch flew by, but Brook had her back in Clyde’s studio and behind the dressing screen before the time was up.

Brook had her slipping into a royal-blue figure-hugging long gown with spaghetti straps. When she emerged, Maria began artfully pinning up her long extensions into a loose, romantic chignon. Once she fitted the sparkly earrings in, she stepped over to the lights.

“Damn.” She heard Clyde’s assistant whisper not realizing that he had been heard.

Erika smiled. She was starting to not only get used to the idea that men found her attractive, but that she was starting to enjoy the reaction. Her heart sped up just a touch and she blushed a smile the assistant’s way causing him to turn bright red and turn away in embarrassment. What would he say if he knew her secret? Would he still be awestruck, or would he be sickened? This was Hollywood, she supposed there were many more like her here. Mr. Winters had even suggested that he represented several like her. She would have liked to have known who they were, but then she decided, it would be better she didn’t, after all, she wouldn’t like others knowing about her.

An hour and a half later, she had reached her max. she definitely didn’t want to try on any more clothes. There were definitely some very cute clothes in the sample that she tried on, outfits and pieces that she wouldn’t mind adding to her own closet, but the attitude of the woman guarding the rack persuaded her to not even ask about keeping any.

She was wiped by the time she slipped into her own clothes. Who knew that posing for a camera was so tiring?

Erika stifled a yawn in the car as Brook drove back towards the hotel. “Oh no you don’t.” Brook shook her head. You still have a full night tonight.”

Tommy Kincaid. How could she forget? She would definitely need to take a nap before going. Her hopes for a nap however, were dashed.

“We have just enough time to get you changed before the limo picks you up for the ball.” Brook informed her.

“Ugh. I need a nap.” Erika protested.

“I’ll stop and get you some coffee.” Brook promised.

“Will you be coming with me tonight?” Erika asked.

Brook chuckled. “Oh, no. that is for you stars. I’m perfectly happy in my role.”

“Have you ever been to something like this?” Erika stifled another yawn.

“A couple of times.” Brook nodded. “They lose their luster, but it is the duty of a celeb to be seen so they must attend.”

“Is it alright for me to take pictures of celebrities with my phone?” Erika asked. “They won’t get mad or anything, will they?”

“Most don’t mind, but always ask.” Brook instructed.

“Tricia and Samantha won’t believe that I’m going to a Tommy Kincaid ball.”

Brook smiled as she pulled into the drive of the hotel. She handed the keys to the valet and told him that she wouldn’t be too long before joining Erika in the lobby.

“It’s about time.” Her mother greeted as they walked in. “I was beginning to worry.”

“Haven’t you been getting my texts?” Brook asked.

“Yes. Of course, but still a mother worries.” Erika’s mother stated. She turned to Erika. “Mr. Winters was excited with what the photographer said about you. How did it go?”

“I’m exhausted.” Erika collapsed onto the sofa.”

“You don’t have time for that, Erika. You need to start getting ready for the ball.” Brook admonished. Jump in the shower and freshen up. I’ll help you with your hair and makeup.”

“Coffee?” Erika raised an eyebrow at Brook. The assistant becoming friend nodded.

Erika closed the door on her room, trudged into the bathroom and slipped out of her clothes. She piled the long hair on top of her head and used a clip to keep it there before standing under hot, relaxing water.

Her tired mind drifted to her friends back in Constitution. She wondered how school was going. Well, school for Samantha. Tricia was suspended until Monday. Stupid ‘no tolerance’ policy. At least Strange Stephanie got the same sentence. She didn’t feel bad calling her ‘Strange Stephanie’ anymore. She did try to be friends with the girl. It was she, who decided to be nasty. She even started wondering what Jake was doing? Why was he still drifting into her thoughts? He was a nice enough guy, but did he really need to intrude on her thoughts of friends?

Erika stifled a yawn. She really needed to stop that. She needed to stay awake and even perky for Tommy’s ball. She thought of her dress and decided she had better shave her legs. Who knew who would be there. She wanted to impress, not be seen as a backwards hick from Constitution.

Erika turned off the shower, grabbed the towel and began drying off her face and shoulders as she exited the shower.

“Oh my God!” a voice exclaimed.

Erika dropped the towel to see Brook standing there looking from Erika’s face to her genitals and back to her face.

Erika nearly screamed, she dropped the towel to cover what wasn’t supposed to be seen and turned bright red.

“I’m so sorry.” Brook stammered as she turned bright red. “I – I didn’t realize you were done in the shower.” Both hands held coffee.

Erika was speechless. What was she supposed to say? ‘don’t look behind the curtain’?

up
174 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

OOhh, that wasn't meant to be, was it?

Monique S's picture

Now the question of whether brook knows or not has been answered, but not in the fashion Erika expected, poor girl.
Very nice story.

Hugs,
Monique.

Monique S

My guess is that Brook Can Handle It

Assuming she didn't know already; she was just surprised. Hopefully Erika can perk up for the ball. She's definitely wide awake at the end of this chapter.

Thanks for sharing.

Another great chapter

Awesome chapter can’t wait for the ball

Knocking

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Lol, guess the concept of knocking is foreign to a PA?

Just a taste

Jamie Lee's picture

Erika's time with Clyde was not a real shoot like it would be if she was modeling for a client of Hal's. If she thinks she tired after such a short time, if/when she goes on an actual shoot she'll be wiped afterwards.

Now she's tired and must attend a ball without getting a chance to rest. How will it be after a real shoot? Will Erika's mom finally understand everything Erika WILL be expected to do as a model, and put a halt to it? Mom needs to keep her arms around Erika at that ball to make sure no one takes advantage of Erika--drugs included.

So Brook didn't know about Erika's secret. But why did Brook feel it was okay to enter the bathroom in the first place? She didn't know Erika so she didn't know if Erika was modest of not. Now that Brook knows about Erika, will she keep it to herself? And does Hal know or will Brook feel the need to tell him?

Others have feelings too.

Clyde seemed a bit of a jerk

laika's picture

but as high paid artistes who consider themselves above social niceties go he wasn't as downright cruel as some. I'd be surprised if Brooke's walking in on Erika causes any trouble, she's not in Kansas anymore, so to speak, and a long way from the mindset at her school. Anyway, on to the ball, where hopefully no lecherous Hollywood douchebag will ply her with champagne + try to do what's so often in the news these days...
~hugs, ronni

well, Brook knows

assuming she didn't before

DogSig.png