Tammy:Deathtrap - Part 14 "Dramatis Personae"

Printer-friendly version
 Deathtrap  

Part
 
Fourteen

 

"Dramatis Personae"

 

 
Saturday 3rd December 2016
 

Tammy's first task, after breakfast, showering, and so on, was to update her notes. Fleur had found a name for the miscreant boy, Colin Younger, age fifteen, so she added this information and forwarded the file to her father for onwards transmission to their solicitor.

She next phoned the understudy who would be playing Helga and explained how neither of the two actors were available for the extra performance.

"I'm sorry, but I didn't think you'd need me now, I'm in Edinburgh for the weekend, I've never made it to the Edinburgh Winter Festival before."

"Okay, enjoy yourself."

The reviews from the media websites were fair to good, but none of them was truly enthusiastic about the production. To be honest, Tammy was expecting something like that, this was a classic melodrama and didn't possess the razzmatazz that a musical, farce or a comedy would have. One concern was the allegation that she'd hit someone, but she couldn't find it in any of the papers, hopefully that was now a dead story, particularly bearing in mind the subsequent events.

Tammy put down her tablet and thought about what she still needed to do. She still hoped she could persuade Lucy to be available after all for Sunday's matinee as, right now, she was fresh out of actors who knew that part.

Today's matinee was a little earlier, at two, which would give Tammy and all the backstage crew a few hours off. Her phone rang, breaking her concentration.

"Ah, good morning Miss Smart, it's Mike Thompson."

"Good morning, what can I do for you?"

"I had an interesting phone call last night and it concerned you, when might you free to discuss it with me?"

"Now?"

"In person, I'm afraid."

"Monday afternoon, perhaps?"

"I'll see you then, thank you."

Tammy was none the wiser when she finished the call, but clearly the matter wasn't urgent. She did some coursework for an hour, or so, before heading into town.

"What have you done to your hair?"

"Sorry Sandy, but it's been a case of long days, short nights and quick showers."

"Well, let's see if I can't make you presentable."

After twenty minutes, and far too much hairspray, the hairdresser declared her task completed. "Are you going to the theatre now?"

"No, I have a lunch appointment."

"With James?"

"Err, yes."

"Why the worry? As far as I'm concerned you are allowed to have a boyfriend!"

"But he's not my boyfriend."

"Sure looks like it, to me at least. Off you go."

Tammy settled her bill and walked the short distance to the hotel, the Fraser Brothers were sat at the bar and it looked like OJ was their choice of drink.

"Hello Miss Tammy."

"Hello boys, are you joining us later?"

"We'll be there but we're working on Sunday."

"I'm hoping for a quiet and uneventful day?"

"You'll get one, we see to that."

James walked in behind Tammy and kissed her on the cheek.

"Not here!" She hissed.

"Why not? I hope you're not ashamed of me?"

"No, but, let's get a table."

Tammy had only managed two slices of toast with her coffee, because of a touch of indigestion from her late supper. Fortunately that had now passed so she ordered the all-day breakfast, whilst James ordered an omelette and wedges.

"Tammy, are you sure about that, I mean it'll ruin your figure?"

"Will it? By the time the day's out I'll have burnt off most of the calories, in any case, only I'm allowed to worry about my figure!"

"I thought I had the right to be concerned; as your boyfriend, and all that?"

"Really?"

James reached across the table and gently took one of Tammy's hands, pulling it to his lips where he gently kissed it. "If I have caused offence, may I apologise?"

"Apology accepted." Tammy giggled, a few feet away someone else was laughing.

"Tanya!"

"So he's not your boyfriend, mum told me what you said? Seriously Tammy?"

"Depends on your definition?"

"Rubbish, just because it's been a while doesn't mean you have forgotten what they look like?"

James seemed to take an interest in Tanya's words, Tammy thought she could hear his brain ticking.

"Where's John?"

"At the bar getting drinks, can we join you?"

"Err, it's a table for two?"

"Frances has prepared a bigger table for us, over in the back corner."

"Hey, what have you done with the Tanya I know?"

John now joined them as Tammy and James reluctantly started to relocate. "It's frightening Tammy, I'm pretty sure she's an alien who's impersonating my Tanya." That earned him a slap, on the rear.

"I see what you mean, John, the real Tanya would have slapped your face!"

At the new table Frances helped the ladies with their chairs; Tammy handled introductions.

"James, this is Tanya and John, who might eventually get married. Tanya and John, this is James, my boyfriend."

Tanya was, naturally, interested in how Tammy and James had met and how far their relationship had progressed.

"Hey, I don't ask you that question?"

"You don't need to, I'm pregnant, remember?" She patted her bump, although it was John's turn to blush.

"I guess your mum told you where to find me?"

"She did, but I'm subbing for Joanne this afternoon, she has appointments she can't swerve."

"Oh, okay."

"It means I can get my hands on your boyfriend, and the other guys?"

"The cast is small, Tanya, do you have Jo's stage kit?"

"It's in our car."

Their food now arrived and Tammy's plate certainly surprised a few of them.

"I'm a growing, busy, girl. Plus I might not get another meal today!"

Tanya had ordered a salad and had clearly decided that John should do likewise, Tammy guessed that some things hadn't changed in that relationship. It had been months since Tammy had seen Tanya, and she'd heard virtually nothing of her friend for ages.

"Come on, Tanya, what's the big secret?"

"Well, I got over the morning sickness, the depression has also gone. I've stopped pigging on take-aways as well."

"Seriously?"

"Yes, Tammy. The wedding's back on and it'll be in March, we've asked Mike Thompson if we can use St Andrews."

"That'll be a first for a boys school? When's your babe due?"

"The bairn should be with us around the twelfth of April."

"That's cutting it a bit fine?"

"Look, it'll take months to set it up, to get it right, plus I would like some milder weather. Have you ever tried getting measured for a dress knowing that you'll be two sizes bigger by the big day?"

"Me, married? Come on!"

James had a sudden look of concern, which Tanya spotted, Tammy soon picked it up.

"What's up, dear?"

"I think I can cope with this marriage question, but didn't you go to St Andrews?"

"Yes, I was the first girl there."

"How long were you there?"

John and Tanya looked concerned, Tammy wasn't sure how to answer, but James waited and didn't push her.

"A few years."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, err, hadn't we better get to the theatre?"

It was gone half-past twelve and the audience was pulling into the carpark, Tammy found the rest of the cast in the Green Room, already dressed.

"Tanya will be looking after you today, be easy on her."

She left them to get finished and took Tanya's man up to the foyer. "Do you have a ticket, John?"

"Couldn't get one."

"There's always a few who don't show, so there'll be a seat for you. In the meantime, can you give Fleur a hand?"

"With what?"

"Anything she asks!"

Tammy checked with the volunteers that everything was set, the auditorium was starting to fill but there was still an hour before curtain up. There was no sign of Steven McIntosh but Tammy remembered he had said something about the golf club. She spotted Iain Davison walking towards where she was stood, just to the left of the stage.

"One of the local officers went to see the Younger family this morning, Colin was advised not to become involved in any pranks."

"I have no idea what they were planning, if Colin had let them in, but I guess it wasn't going to be a laughable prank."

"Unfortunately, Colin wasn't saying and Lucas wasn't at home."

"Were their parents understanding?"

"Lets just say they didn't have any kind words."

"What about Tom Lake?"

"A report has gone to the Sheriff, it's up to them to decide if he's broken the terms of his conviction."

"In the meantime?"

"He's not at home and his car hasn't been seen, beyond that I don't know."

"Thanks Iain, for the update."

"I should add that you do not pass it on, I can't even tell Lucy any of that."

"But?"

"But I know you could probably get the same information via other routes?"

"Possibly." Or probably not right now, she considered. "Are you staying?"

"'Fraid not, I'll be back at four."

She watched Iain leave, via the stage steps. Tammy waited for a few seconds then went to check with the cast, just as Iain was heading for the stage door. Tanya had clearly finished her make-up duties, for now, as she was sat gossiping.

"Tammy, you haven't told them much about yourself, so I filled in the gaps."

Tammy stared at the pregnant girl, rage building inside.

"It was a joke, right? Tammy, a joke!"

The Director turned and walked out, went to the stage door and exited into the carpark, slamming the door behind her. Her coat, bag and common-sense were all inside the theatre, meanwhile snow was falling, the air temperature was rapidly dropping and her lightweight skirt suit simply wasn't adequate. She stood unsure whether to walk away but chose, reluctantly, to walk into the warmth of the foyer.

"Tammy, what's up?"

Fleur was quite alarmed at the girl's sudden appearance, John then asked the same question.

"Go and ask your fiancée!"

He quickly exited, Fleur quietly asked if there was anything she could do but Tammy shook her head and walked into the auditorium, her rage dissipating. It took her ten minutes to reach the Green Room due to the many familiar faces in the audience, but was a useful distraction.

John met Tammy and sent her along to the girls' dressing room. "My wife-to-be would like to say something."

Tanya, instead, burst into tears, although her make-up was already a complete mess.Tammy took her hands and guided Tanya to a chair, taking an adjacent one. She waited for Tanya to regain her composure.

"I'm sorry, Tammy, I wasn't thinking straight. I thought it would be a laugh but now I remember those talks by the men in black suits. I knew I'd said something wrong. If you like, I'll just go."

Tammy pulled out a bunch of tissues from a box on the side and handed a few to Tanya, before drying her own eyes. "No, Tanya, you volunteered for this gig so you should stay! Yes, I was hurt, and you know why. If I'd had my keys when I walked outside, I'd be at home right now."

There was a cough from the doorway.

"If my two favourite ladies have sorted themselves out, we're only fifteen minutes from curtain up."

Tanya looked in a mirror, "gawd, I'm a mess." She looked at Tammy, "and I think you should sort yourself out before the public see you!"

Tammy rescued her bag from a corner of the Green Room and started to remake her face, using a wall mirror. A few minutes later she looked ready for the world but her eyes betrayed her, that called for more eye shadow in a darker shade, not strictly an afternoon style.

The cast waited whilst Tammy finished her ministrations. "Sorry about that, everyone, I should know Miss Smith well enough not to get wound up by her. She has offered to go home and leave us in peace but I refused her request. I happen to know she's not due to go into labour for a few months so we have plenty of time left to torture her?"

Tammy paused, "now, I believe, we have an audience waiting. Let's all break a leg and get on with the show!"

Tammy strolled onto the stage, taking a place in front of the curtain after collecting a microphone.

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen and a very warm welcome to the Mill Theatre, I'm Tammy Smart. Could I first please ask that you check your phones?" She paused for a few second. "May I present Deathtrap!"

By the interval the audience was getting into the swing of it with oooohs and ahhhhhs aplenty. When Tammy checked in the bar she saw a roaring trade, of mainly soft drinks. It seemed that the two part-time bar staff who were also part-time police officers, were keeping many drivers off the alcohol. Their speciality was alcohol-free cocktails.

Tammy then spotted Sgt Stuart St James near the bar, in plain clothes.

"Hello?"

"Ah, good afternoon Miss Smart."

"Are you enjoying the show?"

"Yes, although I'm not here to have fun, officially anyway."

"Understood."

That eased Tammy's mind, she'd known Sgt St James since her very first full day as a girl and the Sgt, then Constable, had been one of the first to learn of her new legal name, as well as being aware of her previous one. His attitude had been distant at first but she now considered him a friend, or at least an acquaintance.

She was, naturally, stopped by a few familiar faces on her way back to her seat for the second Act. John had clearly noticed the empty chair so parked himself in it.

"Whose seat is this one?"

"Dr McIntosh!"

"Oh!"

"You're safe, for now."

"Safe? I still have to deal with Tanya when we get home."

"Is this new personality an act?"

"No, no, she really has changed."

The lights dimmed and the curtain came up for the second time.

Tammy sensed that the cast were going a little quicker than normal and she tried to signal for them to slow down. When they did get the message, it was in the third, and final, scene and they were two or so minutes ahead of schedule.

The characters Helga and Porter, played by Lucy and James, were on the stage for the last time and were just concluding their lines when there was an explosion, then the lights went out. The emergency lights came on and Tammy took the cast to the Green Room, whilst Fleur took to the stage, without the benefit of amplification.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm afraid we do not yet know what has happened and I ask that you stay in your seats. The police are outside investigating and there is no risk to anyone in the building."

up
417 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

NOT ME!!!

Alecia Snowfall's picture

NOT ME! I DIDN'T 'SPLODE THE KUDO BUTTON! I just dinged it!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

wow, what now?

Tammy just cant seem to stop being a trouble magnet ...

DogSig.png

Wasn't me either, I wasn't

Wasn't me either, I wasn't there, you can't prove it, and if it has anything to do with the cops I don't want to get involved. :-) Saying all that, Tammy is really between a rock and a hard place regarding on the decision of keeping everyone in their seats versus having them exit the theater quietly and in single file vs still being in the building in case another explosion "brings down the house" so to speak.
Me thinks "dear old Tom" was in the theater earlier and set his calling card.

Wasn't me either, I wasn't

Wasn't me either, I wasn't there, you can't prove it, and if it has anything to do with the cops I don't want to get involved. :-) Saying all that, Tammy is really between a rock and a hard place regarding on the decision of keeping everyone in their seats versus having them exit the theater quietly and in single file vs still being in the building in case another explosion "brings down the house" so to speak.
Me thinks "dear old Tom" was in the theater earlier and set his calling card.

Poor Tammy,

It never stops does it?

They Never Let Up

joannebarbarella's picture

The perpetrators must be unduly stupid as there are so many indicators to their identities. The police will be on hand shortly to interview and detain them.....but, Oh, how pointless.

Tammy

More like a mousetrap than a deathtrap... for criminals.

at last!

An explosion of sorts, I think it may be a Shiraz red herring! and its about time Tammy got that Glock out and shot somebody!

Ladies and gentlemen

Podracer's picture

Please do not be alarmed, it's all part of the show!
Well, the quicker pace of the play would seem fortuitous, though the interruption has robbed the cast of their applause I would guess.

"Reach for the sun."

Someone is in deeep doo doo

Jamie Lee's picture

Bummer, James and Lucy never got to finish their lines. Hopefully the explosion wasn't man made, but if it was, someone is in a deep pile of doo doo.

And if Tom, Lucas, or Colin were involved they might as well kiss off their freedom. Because they can now be thought of as terrorists.

If Tom and Lucas were involved in the explosion, they have succumbed to a hate which runs to their souls.

And then again, because the lights went off at the explosion, it's possible that a power transformer simply gave up the ghost in a bang.

Others have feelings too.