Going Home Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version

Lisa couldn’t believe that once she gave the Captain and the council the report on how Earth was currently. The decision had been made to just send any of the normal looking humans that wanted to return to Earth. They were told to keep their existence quiet. A plan had been made to establish an outpost on the moon for observation reasoning. They would use that as a staging area to send people back to Earth. People who had been modify couldn’t go back, unless they have the modifications remove from them.

The debate went on about people returning and how to transport them.

Then Captain Vellutus and the council had agreed that he would put the Viminacium and all her support ships at the councils use. Some personnel have been shifted around so crew members serving under Captain Vellutus could learn and serve on other ships in the fleet. Lisa and her husband were still stationed aboard the Viminacium. They only lost a few members, but most of them had come from non-critical departments.

They did lose a few fighter pilots, but they were replaced by a bunch of cadets from the Ailuros military. Her husband was running a lot of drills.
Her squadron had three new people in it. Her husband’s squadron had five members that had been transferred to other ships. The hardest thing was getting the new cadets use to their fighters. The Ailuros people had different types of fighters.

“What are you doing to your fighter, Lisa?” Calvin didn’t like it when the pilot’s tried modifying their fighters. It made things hard on his crew to figure and replicate when the fighter got damage.

“I was getting interference on my scanners, so I thought I would try calibrating them.” Lisa found the circuit board that that had been damaged.

“You know, you should have just asked me to look at it?” Calvin walks over and looks at the circuit board.

“You forget, I helped design this fighter. So, I know where everything is and which boards I need to check and replace.” Lisa walks over towards the supply room and grab a new board to install.

“I don’t care, next time just tell me please?” Calvin watches as Lisa installs the new board.

She shuts the sensor repair bay and climb up and into the cockpit and turn the sensors on and gets a good reading. She makes a few adjustments and the scans come in clearer. Lisa shuts her fighter down and climbs out.

Calvin just shakes his head. He does a walk around making sure nothing else was opened or wrong with the fighter. It was the only fighter that wasn’t like the rest of the fleet.

“I still don’t understand how you managed to construct this fighter, instead of what we are using.”

“Because I can’t see properly over the instrument panel of the other fighters. I can rely on the sensor, but I like to look out into space when I fly. Plus, the controls of this fighter are calibrated just for my reflexes. So, it responds faster.” Lisa heads towards the pilot locker room and changes out of her clothes.

She slips on her skin-tight flight suit and grab her flight helmet. She heads back out to the hangar deck and over to her fighter.

“Calvin prepare me for launch.” Lisa climbs inside her fighter.

“Load Echo 1 on launch rails and launch when ready.” Calvin watches as Echo 1 is loaded on the launch rail.

Once Lisa was ready to launch, she launches. She flies around the ship and then does a scan. As she is flying her instruments pick up an intermediate beacon.

“Echo 1 to flight control. Are you guys picking up a beacon signal?” Lisa wonders why no one had picked it up.

“Negative Echo 1. We’re not picking up on anything. Are sure your picking it up?”

Lisa locks onto it and manages to bring it in stronger.

“Yes, I’m picking up on it. I’m going to go and investigate. If I’m not back in one hour. Send a rescue squad.” Lisa sets the coordinates.

“Roger, Echo 1. Setting timer now.”

Lisa engages her jump drive and jumps towards the location. It doesn’t take her to long to make the journey to the system where the beacon was coming from. There were large sections of ships debris floating around. None of the ships she spots look familiar to her. She tries identifying them with the on-board computer system in her fighter, but everything was coming up blank.

The beacon leads her to the fourth planet in the system. Her sensors classify the plant as tropical and was a little bigger than Earth. Its gravity was slightly higher then Earth, but within tolerance levels. She follows the beacon to its source and spots an over grown structure. There was a natural clearing not far from the structure. She engages the lateral gravity landing drives and land her fighter in the clearing. She grabs her backpack and her pulse laser and climb out of her fighter. She activates the security systems and heads towards the over grown structure. As she gets near it. She could tell it had been rebuilt several times. There were blast marks on it from where an explosive device or object exploded near it. There were craters where the devices had exploded.

It takes Lisa twenty minutes to find a way inside the structure. It looked like some sort of observation/research facility. It looked like it had been rebuilt a few times. She was finding material that should had been on the inside of a Starship inside the structure. Even the main console that controlled the place, looked like it had been recycled from a starship engineering section.

She continues to look around and soon finds the source of the beacon. There was a medical stasis pod. She checks the condition of it and finds out it still had power. She looks around and finds an old fashion holo-cube. The thing was at least two hundred years old.

Lisa taps her communicator and relay the signal through her fighters comm unit.

“Echo 1 to Viminacium, echo 1 to Viminacium, are you receiving me?”

“We’re receiving you Echo 1. What did you find?”

“I found a person in a stasis pod. Can you send an engineering team and medical team to my location?”

“Right away Echo 1. Viminacium out.”

“Echo 1 out.” Lisa continues to look around the place.

She finds a hidden door that leads to crew quarters and a hidden hangar. Inside the hangar were fighters she hadn’t seen before and a transport shuttle that looked like it had seen better days. She checks the fighters out and find them fully armed and ready to fly. She also discovers they were equipped with a cloaking field. As far as she knows, there weren’t any cloaking fields installed on any fighters she knew about. She’ll have to ask the Princess when she gets back to the planet.

A few hours later, two long range shuttles show-up. She meets them by her fighter. Her husband was one of the pilots that came along.

“I see you found something interesting.” Henry walks over to his wife.

She just smiles at him “all I did was follow my nose.” She stands up on her tip toes and gives him a kiss.

“Oh, I found something you would like.” Lisa takes her husband down to the hidden hangar and shows him the fighters.

“They are equipped with a cloaking device. They don’t have jump drives like our fighters do, but they have a cool cloaking device built into them. Can you image how much of an advantage it would give a strike squadron.” Lisa wouldn’t mind having one in her fighter.

Henry just shakes his head at his wife. They help the engineering team and medical team at the site.

up
200 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Was that wise?

Jamie Lee's picture

Lisa taking off to an unknown by herself seems a bit foolish. It also seemed foolish to land and investigate the signal.

Luck was on her side, this time, but it's not good to stretch luck too far.

Others have feelings too.