TANSTAAFL

Printer-friendly version

Tanstaafl. Sounds like a sneeze or something vaguely Russian. The meaning of the word is best shown in a story retold freely from the writing of Robert A. Heinlein, the inventor of the water bed and the coiner of the word. Seems a young man, newly hired as a traveling salesman, was passing through a new town about lunchtime. Stopping at a likely looking taproom, he enters to find a large sign stating: "FREE LUNCH WITH YOUR DRINK!"

This seems an inordinately good deal to the young man who immediately orders a beer and proceeds to the sideboard to stock his plate with a fine selection of food. He strikes up a conversation with one of the local patrons, orders a couple more beers and generally passes a genial hour at lunch. When he calls for the bill he is shocked to find his three beers have cost him $15.00. As he begins to express his outrage the local, who has seen it all before, patiently explains that someone has to pay for the food at the sideboard, and it sure isn't going to be the bar owner.

Tanstaafl. - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

True in the bar in the story, true when "You May Have Already Won One Million Dollars", and true in life and society in general. Every receiver has a giver, every pro has a con, and every right has a duty. You only get what you pay for, and payment is not exclusively in cash, it can come in time, effort, dedication, love or liberty. And turning it about, you pay for what you get, or what you do. These thoughts were uppermost in my mind as I read about Tammy White, a pre-op Transsexual in jail for a robbery she committed to get the money to finance her sex change.

Tanstaafl. It applies here, as everywhere else in life. By her own admission, Ms. White was "living and working as a female." Working as a female. Perhaps her income was not sufficient to make her dream come true, or perhaps it was too long to wait to save up enough. I don't know what drove her to break the rules and try to make someone else pay for her wants, but she broke them and paid the price. A little forethought would have revealed that failure would result in a long time in an "all-male, all macho prison", but she did indeed decide to violate the law and ignore one of the bonds that keeps our society together, the right to keep what you have earned. Tanstaafl.

As a TV I can sympathize with Ms. White's needs, and with the pressures that drove her to commit robbery, but I am most thoroughly annoyed that she seems not to have learned anything from the experience. Granted gender dysphoria is a mental illness, even one recognized by the APA, but in our society we are only created equal; after that it is up to the individual to work - and pay for - achieving his or her desires to become unequal in a way that best suits them. And, most importantly, this is not to be done at the expense of those innocent others in the society. Instead of learning from her mistakes, Ms. White is demanding that the State finance the treatment, which she could not gain by herself, simply because she is in jail. I find it deplorable that Ms. White, after thumbing her nose at society, demands that they grant her desire to be a woman. Tanstaafl. She has only herself to blame, and I do not want to pay, through my taxes, for what she was unwilling to do for herself.

If she is mentally ill, as defined by the APA, then counseling should be made available during her incarceration just like any other inmate. But to change the entire prison system to accommodate her needs as a TS is unrealistic. The prison didn't invite her to live there, she committed a crime in full knowledge of the consequences, and now must pay for that decision. At the end of her term she can start where she left off and use her own skills, time, determination and money to fulfill her desires.

Tanstaafl, Ms. White. After telling the world by your actions that you don't care if you hurt anyone else to fulfill your desires, please don't expect the world to do it for you.

up
80 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Mental illness?

littlerocksilver's picture

I believe that diagnosis is out of date. It is no more a mental illness than being gay, straight, or a redhead.

Portia

It's okay

Sometimes the cis are a bit behind the times. We can always help them reach the proper terminology.

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

I do find your entries

I do find your entries interesting sometimes, thanks for writing. You have a nice turn of phrase.

That said, shouldn't these daily missives be part of a blog? None of them seem to be stories, but rather to fall clearly under the blogging type of entry.

agreed.

It's confusing, when these pop up on the front page where they clearly do not belong.

Umm

What exactly kind of robbery did she commit anyway? You don't even describe that you just put "living and working as a female." She's already female, so if she's working then yeah she's a working female. Also the "working for it" isn't always possible especially for Trans women of color and Trans girls of color. Sometimes transitioning is too expensive so you have to take risks to get what you want because the system is against you.

Trans women of color are disproportionately placed in prison for no reason. Trans women get placed in them too just for being themselves. People assume we are sex workers even when we aren't and throw us in prison for no reason. Being a Trans girl/Trans woman is not an easy life.

Hell I know people who their boss found out they were trans women and fired them or didn't give them the promotion they were due. I've even known ones who were beaten to death because they were forced into the men's shelters.

And I pray this Tammy White was institutionalized with the other women as she should be because she's a woman. She doesn't deserve to be thrown into a male prison any way any other woman deserves it.

Rule of thumb, if you don't treat Cis women/girls like that, you don't treat Trans women/girls like that.

It's cool though I realize cis people are a bit behind the times when it comes to these things but I'm always happy to help :)

FYI the prison system is a farce, extremely filled with PoC who haven't committed violent crimes. Yet white people can commit violent crimes and never be committed as long as they wear a little blue badge. Or if they don't they get lesser sentences than People of color.

Also they took Gender dysphoria out of the DSM ages ago just like they removed homosexuality from it. We are not a mental illness, we are human, we bleed, we are whatever gender we say we are. And we have been here since the beginning of time. We are trans and we are proud! And science backs us up.

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

My apologies

this was written in response to a specific article and I didn't realize it makes less sense without that article before I clicked
the POST button.