All Things Denied 6 - 'Twins'

Printer-friendly version
Notes of a Journey Trilogy
Book 1
All Things Denied

Chapter 6 - 'Twins'

A Gaby FanFic by PB

They laugh alike, they walk alike, At times they even talk alike – You can lose your mind,
When cousins are two of a kind.


 

Now available for Purchase from Lulu.com!

Available for Purchase as
Download & Paperback


Viewing Note: This story should be viewed with the Edwardian Script ITC font installed on your Windows platform in the c:/Windows/Fonts directory. Microsoft Word installs this font automatically.

Photo Credit: Used with her permission....“Let Me In”  © by simpledrama .
 


 
Chapter 6
 

Gaby awoke in her attic bedroom, to the sounds of the rain gently hitting the windows. She was sure it was raining because the British kids were scheduled for a special Friday field trip to the Luray Caverns and parts unknown. With Miss Bell tagging along as guide, Gaby was positive there would also be a visit to a Civil War battlefield or two.

Sizing up the weather and the known agenda for the day, she decided to play it safe and dress like her sister, a blouse, black jeans, tights and trainers. After spending time on her hair and makeup, an overly perky Britney showed up and begged Gaby to let her put her hair up into something she called ‘practical bunches’. Gaby wasn’t really thrilled with the ‘cute’ hairstyle, but to keep the peace, she allowed them to stay in… for now.

At the school following homeroom, all the kids assembled outside the main entrance to await their bus for the hour-long ride. Instead of the usual big yellow school bus, the kids saw a small 16-seat coach pull up. After Miss Cowlishaw took attendance, they climbed aboard to begin their trip. The first things the kids noticed was the luxurious individual cloth-covered seats and the large ‘picture’ windows.

“Wow! ... Not wot I was expecting!” Ally exclaimed as she passed through the double-doors.

“Okay, the quicker you find a seat, the quicker we can start,” an enthusiastic Miss Cowlishaw urged as the kids filed past her into the bus.

“Hi,” Maddy softy mentioned as she stood beside Gaby. “Mind if I sit beside you?”

“I was hoping you would,” Gaby softly replied as Maddy sat down beside her, then quietly added, “I like that skirt you’re wearing ... you look very nice.”

“Thanks … I wanted to look pretty for a very special someone,” Maddy replied in a hushed voice as she discreetly squeezed one of Gaby’s hands. “I got it just after New Year when Bernie and I went to Sheffield.”

As soon as she uttered the words, Maddy saw the disappointment in Gaby’s changed expression when she mentioned the shopping trip.

“I woulda asked you … but it was just before your dad called us ‘bout some sort of family meeting … an’ Mum thought it wouldn’t matter if I was there or not … so she let me go … sorry, Gabs.” Maddy gave Gaby an apologetic hug.

“It was important … wasn’t it,” Maddy quietly stated. Gaby silently nodded.

“Did … did it have anything to do with what you were trying to tell me last weekend when we were skiing?” Again Gaby nodded.

“Look at me, darling. Tell me now … please?” whispered Maddy, ever mindful of being overheard.

“Still too many people around … when we’re alone … okay? I promise,” Gaby whispered. Now it was Maddy’s turn to silently nod as she gave another squeeze to Gaby’s hand.

“Cheer up! If it’ll make you feel better … I’m not dying an’ I still love you,” Gaby whispered with a smile. Maddy looked her girlfriend in the eyes and managed a weak smile of her own, before she gave Gaby a quick hug.

“Cute bunches Gabs!” Maddy mentioned with a smirk in an effort to change the subject. Gaby’s cold glare and her silence told Maddy all she needed to know about how her girlfriend felt about Britney’s hairstyling.

“Don't tell me … Brit's idea,” Maddy offered in a sympathetic voice.

“She said it was ‘practical’ … whatever that means … an’ Mrs. W just thought it was sooo cute!” Gaby sarcastically replied.

“Well … it is … sort of … but ... I don’t think it’s you. C’mon … let’s take ‘em out,” Maddy offered. Gaby happily turned her head to allow Maddy to re-style her hair.

“She’s always doing this to you, Gabs! You really ought to stand up to her and say ‘no’ once in a while … ya know?”

“Easier said than done,” Gaby intoned.

“You think after she stayed with you, you’d at least have a clue of what she can be like.”

“I bet you wouldn't do any better,” Gaby sharply pointed out.

“Don’t have to … I'm not the one staying there!” Maddy sweetly replied.

“You couldn't last the weekend at the Walters without Brit involving you in some scheme of hers,” Gaby challenged.

“Bet I could!” Maddy replied.

“Prove it!” Gaby shot back.

“An’ pray tell how do I do that?” Maddy sarcastically asked.

“I dunno … everyone says we look like twins … so … maybe … we … like … could just swap places. You know … you go to the Walters … and … I'll stay with Miss Bell,” Gaby ventured.

“Uh huh … that'd never work. We’d be found out before long,” Maddy reasoned.

“By who?” Gaby asked.

“I think Jules would notice when I got ready for bed … if ... she didn’t figure it out before then … an’ then there’s Jessica!” Maddy hissed.

“We could let Jules in on it,” Gaby suggested.

“What about Jessica?” Maddy pressured.

“I bet I can pretend to be you good enough that she won’t notice!” Gaby postured, then after a short silence asked, “You two don't walk ‘round naked or anything over there do you?”

“Certainly not! Least not intentionally,” Maddy hissed.

“So … what’s the problem?” Gaby posed.

“I guess...” Maddy replied in a thoughtful fog. “...What's the bet then?”

“How ‘bout … if you last two days … we swap back. If Brit gets you in one of her schemes … you have to suffer with her for a whole week.”

“If I loose, what about school?” Maddy wondered.

“I guess we do each others sets,” Gaby quietly replied.

“An’ how will you know if Brit catches me? You’ll be with Jessica,” Maddy quickly pointed out.

“We could have Jules call me around lunch, Sunday...” Gaby suggested.

“Okay … but why should I agree? There's nothing in it for me,” Maddy allowed.

“You say you can stay free of Brit's little schemes … so if you win … you get to crow about it!” Gaby smugly offered.

“An’ just when do we do this?” Maddy wondered.

“No time like the present!” Gaby stated.

“I dunno…” Maddy whispered. After she seemingly gave the proposal some thought, she agreed. “Okay … until Sunday!”

Almost at once, Gaby felt something didn’t feel right, like it was too easy to get Maddy to agree.

“We'll swap clothes and stuff later … we have to have a washroom break sometime! I figure we can change then. I'll put your hair back up so Jessica doesn’t think we’re up to something.”

The remainder of the drive to the caverns was spent with the two girls briefing each other about their life with their respective hosts, with as much detail as they could recall. Gaby even came up with a plausible plan to get Jessica to take ‘Maddy’ into town the next morning so she could go for her usual ride with Erin. Maddy was sure that Jessica would go for it.

By the time the bus pulled into the parking lot for the Caverns, the rain had eased but not stopped. Mr. Pilling again took charge.

“Okay … we've got some time before our tour starts … so I suggest you make use of the facilities if you need to. Do not go into the gift shop! There will be ample time for that later! Pay attention to the tour guide … there will be a test later!” That bit of news was greeted by the predictable chorus of groans. “Five minutes then” he finished.

After everyone got a chance to use the facilities, they re-assembled in the main hall where they were introduced to their guide.

“Good morning everyone, my name is Agnes and…”

For the next two hours, Gaby and the others were led from cavern to cavern showing them the wonders of the underground world. The kids found places like Titania's Veil, Saracens Tent and Totem Poles intriguing with their brilliant colours, stalactites and stalagmites of all sizes. After winding their way through the Giants Hall, Frozen Fountain and the Empress Column, they finally arrived full circle back at the main entrance hall.

Mr. Pilling thanked Agnes on behalf of the students then turned his attention to his charges. “I know it's a bit early but we're going to break for lunch now … back here at twelve sharp … we’ve got a lot planned for later.”

“C’mon Gabs … let’s swap now! We might not get a chance later,” whispered Maddy as she guided Gaby towards the ladies restroom.

“Before lunch?” Gaby asked.

“If you hurry, we'll still have time to eat!” Maddy pointed out.

Once in the ladies restroom, they headed for the larger ‘Disabled’ toilet cubicle. As soon as Maddy secured the door, she proceeded to remove all her clothes.

“C’mon Gabs … strip! Maddy hissed.

“Is this necessary, Mad?” a surprised Gaby wondered. “I just thought we’d chan…”

“If you want to pull this off ... yes, it is necessary! Jessica saw me this morning in my bra and panties … so…” Maddy reasoned.

Gaby wasn’t surprised to find herself changing her warm jeans for a mini skirt. Maddy always seemed to show a preference for skirts over pants, no matter the weather. Once dressed, Maddy used Gaby to change her appearance accordingly and then went to work on Gaby. After swapping their jewellery, they stood back and eyed each other. It was an eerie feeling, looking at themselves. The only thing they didn’t change was their nail polish and that was only because neither carried it in their purses.

“Oops!” Maddy stopped Gabs as they were about to leave the restroom.

“What now? If we hurry we can just grab something to eat and maybe hit the gift shop!” Gaby impatiently stated.

“Gimme my … umm …your bag,” Maddy instructed.

As Gaby handed it over, Maddy quickly snatched it out of her hands and after opening it, removed a few of the sanitary napkins that she had put in that morning.

“This should do me until I can get to the store. I left a couple for appearance’s sake. I don’t suppose you have a box at the Walters?” Gaby shook her head.

“Jess knows I’m on … so ... just remember what we talked about in Health … an’ you should be okay,” Gaby cautioned.

“This is for luck, darling.” She then embraced Gaby and gave her a tender kiss on the lips before they exited the restroom to re-join the others.

“Just remember … I’m Gaby and you’re Maddy!” Gaby whispered as they approached the food line.

“Don’t worry … I'll remember,” Maddy reassured 'herself'.

Jessica smiled inwardly as the English kids joked amongst themselves while they were walking over to the nearby ‘Singing Tower’.

“They're a great bunch of kids and far more mature than a lot of our students their age. Hell … the younger ones put some of our seniors to shame! Too bad we couldn't have had them come over here in the summer, there’s so much more we could’ve offered them … but then again, they don't seem to be bothered by the weather.”

“Jules and Gaby seem a lot happier today … their mother must be doing better. And that letter Fran showed me …I don’t know how I’d cope if it was me. I should really talk to Gaby and find out how she’s making out.” She chuckled to herself. “And Maddy … she’s such a dear! … She and Gaby are nearly inseparable on these field trips. Maybe I should ask Gaby if she would like to stay over for a couple of nights with Maddy. She could have the third bedroom.”

“Now that I look at Maddy … there's something different about her … but I can’t put my finger it.”

“…Was built in 1937 and stands almost 120 feet high. There are forty seven bells and its one of America's finest Carillons.” Mr. Pilling droned.

“What's a carillon, Sir?” Bernie asked.

“A carillon is a set of bells Bernie,” Mr. Pilling answered.

“Like St Johns?” Maddy asked.

“That’s correct, Maddy. Church bells are technically called a carillon when they are automated otherwise you need bell ringers or campanologists.”

“That's it! … Maddy changed her nail polish at lunch.”. Jessica thought as she listened to the exchange between Mr. Pilling and Maddy.

Thankfully, following the visit to the ‘Singing Tower’, everyone re-boarded the bus for their next stop. The cold rain had subsided then briefly stopped, but had started up again.

Gaby noticed they were heading east, following signs on Route 211 for Thornton’s Gap, only to turn onto a road with a familiar sign – Skyline Drive. They were going through the National Park again! As she relaxed in her seat beside Maddy, she thought how strange it was to be sitting next to herself. Although she knew it was only Maddy wearing her clothes and make-up as well as it being her idea to make the switch in the first place, it was still a weird feeling.

As the ride continued through the park, Gaby noted the various conversations amongst the other kids and a sense of uncertainty enveloped her. Despite the briefing Maddy had provided, Gaby realized that regardless of how well she knew the gang, there was stuff they knew that she didn’t, either because in Warsop, Drew wasn’t one of the girls or in Grottoes, Gaby simply wasn’t around to talk to the others. However, Maddy would know all of the gossip and if challenged, it could prove a problem. As if to comfort herself, Gaby reached over and gently squeezed Maddy’s hand. In return, Maddy turned towards Gaby, sweetly smiled and mouthed “I love you” as she returned Gaby’s squeeze.

The rain eased somewhat as they pulled off of Skyline Drive, into the ‘Franklin Cliffs Overlook' viewing area. The wind whipped around them as we went to look at the panorama. Gaby silently cursed Maddy’s love of skirts!

“Let’s get a group photo,” Mr Pilling suggested.

An elderly tourist couple was recruited to take a selection of photos of the group and then after taking in the view, it was off to their next destination.

They continued on Skyline Drive until they hit Route 33. This change in direction took them out of the park and back down into the Shenandoah Valley. As they descended out of the mountains, both the weather and the misted bus windows cleared giving the kids views of wildlife as they passed through heavy forest.
They briefly stopped at Elkton for a quick history lesson from Miss Bell. She told the kids that during the Civil War, Stonewall Jackson, a general for the Confederate States, made his headquarters here about 140 years ago to plan his spring campaign. Since the house itself wasn’t open for tourists, Miss Bell could only point out his living quarters on the first floor. After that stop, it was back onto the bus and back to Grottoes.

Before they got back into town, Jessica guided the group to a Civil War battlefield just as Gaby had predicted. Turned out there were two battlefields - the Port Republic and the Cross Keys, which was just across the river. Since the rain had stopped, she proceeded to conduct a walking tour of the sites explaining, to a largely uninterested audience the events of that far away conflict over these currently peaceful meadows. Gaby recognized the place because it was where she overtook Diane and Derek while out on a training ride earlier in the week. Following the History lesson, they once again boarded the bus for Grottoes.

It had been arranged that due to the expected length of the field trip, the school would drop the kids off at their homes rather than have the host parents come to the school to pick them up.

When the bus stopped in front of the Walters residence, Jules and ‘her sister’ got off and were met by the two Walters sisters. The four made their way into the house where Jules quickly removed her coat and boots at the same time urging Gaby to do the same. Grabbing her by the arm, Jules forcefully marched ‘her sister’ upstairs to their room and once inside, quickly closed the door.

“Ok, Maddy! What’s going on here and where’s my sister? You got one minute and this better be good!” Jules hissed. Maddy had never heard her cousin sound so angry and it was unsettling.

“We switched?” Maddy uneasily admitted. She went on to explain to Jules the terms of the ‘switch’ and how the two arrived at the idea.

“You mean if Brit pulls one of her stunts on you, before Sunday lunch ... the deal is that you have to stay as ‘Gaby’ an’ suffer with Brit for a whole week while my sister has it easy with Jessica … but if not … you switch back sometime later on Sunday?”

“Yeah … but we need your help to pull it off,” Maddy confessed.

“You claim you did this just to prove to Gaby that she’s too easy a target for Brit’s schemes an’ you could avoid them?” Jules asked.

“I said I did ... didn’t I?” Maddy quickly responded.

Jules seemed to calm down a bit and thought it over for awhile. In a way, it was pulling one over on Britney. Unfortunately, if it worked, she’d never know. Still pinching Maddy`s arm just below the elbow. Jules offered her conditions.

“Okay! Against my better judgment ... I’ll go along with it … for now! But you listen and you listen good!” Jules sternly warned.

“I’ve seen how you operate, Maddy Peters … always manipulating my sister for your own amusement! I even bet you got something planned and con’d her into this!” Maddy winced in pain as Jules increased the pressure of her hold on her cousin’s arm.

“With everything that’s happening to her now ... if I ever find out that you’ve set my sister up … for anything ... or have even played your little mind games with her at any time during this ENTIRE visit … I promise you, you’re gonna pay … in spades! When that happens ... it might be our parents who get the pleasure … or maybe even Gaby herself ... or ... possibly even ME ... but you will get yours ... sometime ... somewhere ... is … that … clear?” Jules hissed menacingly. “... An’ don’t think I won’t hesitate for a millisecond to report you to Miss C!”

She then released her tight hold on her cousin’s arm with a violent downward jerk. Maddy winced at the amount of pain she felt the moment her arm was released. There could be no mistaking the sincerity of Jules’ warning or the contempt with which it was issued.

“Yeah … (sniff) ... I heard you Jules,” Maddy quietly acknowledged as she rubbed her arm. (sniff) “Bet I`ll have a real good bruise, there ... thanks to you!”

“Yer welcome! ... Just wear long sleeves an’ quit yer whining!” Jules snapped back.

“Now ... dry those eyes an’ let’s go … ‘SIS’! The others are probably wondering where we disappeared to so quickly,” Jules sarcastically ordered, as she held the bedroom door open for Maddy.

When they started to exit their room, Jules gloated, “Technically ‘Gaby’ … you know you were discovered by me, on the bus.”

Maddy stopped in her tracks and stared at Jules, with pleading eyes, “Jules? You promised!”

“I did, didn’t I ... but with conditions! Just remember ... one wrong move … or thought!” Jules threatened as she nudged the girl through the door. ‘Gaby’ hesitated and turned to face Jules.

“How’d you know?” she whispered.

“You may look like my sister … but you sure don’t act like her. You better pray you can fool the others...” responded a smug Jules. “...’Cuz if you’re gonna pull this off ... just looking the part won’t be enough with this crowd!”

“How do I act like Gaby?” Maddy quietly asked.

“You should’ve thought about that earlier … now GO!” Jules hissed as she showed an evil grin.

As Maddy looked worriedly at her older cousin, Jules nudged Gaby towards the stairs. Before they got far, she had a change of mind.

“If you promise me that you won’t do anything to hurt Gabs … I’ll help you,” Jules whispered.

“I promise,” a relieved Maddy quietly replied.

“C’mon … get back in here an’ I’ll tell you a few things you need to know,” Jules quietly mentioned as she pulled Maddy back into their bedroom. In the following few minutes, Jules quickly briefed Maddy on the house, Gaby’s habits and mannerisms, plus anything else she could think of.

“...An’ for god sakes ... don’t forget … we don’t use first names for the ‘rents … just Mr. W an’ Mrs. W … okay?” Jules asked as she completed her talk with Maddy.

“Got it!” Maddy replied before she turned to repairing her make-up. When they again left the room and reached the top of the stairs, she once again stopped Jules.
“Thank you ... and no matter wot you may think ... I don’t want to hurt her, Jules ... I just can’t,” Maddy quietly told her cousin.

Both girls silently went downstairs and offered to help set the table for dinner.

During dinner, the two were drawn into conversation about their field trip and school in general. With subtle hints from Jules, Gaby was able to stay in character and wasn’t challenged by any of the Walters.

After supper, both girls adjourned to the living room to watch the news with Mr. Walters while Debbie and Britney took their turn helping their mom clean up.

(Briiiing …Briiing ...Brii)

“Got it!” Debbie called out. “Hello? … Oh hi, Mrs. Bond … it’s Debbie … yeah, they’re both here … I’ll get them … GABS … it’s your mom!” Jules silently urged Gaby to run for the phone.

“Hi … Mum?” She enthused as Debbie handed her the handset, before returning to the kitchen.

With those two words, Jenny immediately knew that she was actually talking with Maddy. In a hushed voice, Maddy confessed the switch to her aunt and told her that Gaby was over at Miss Bell’s. She then slowly held out the receiver for Jules after Jenny spoke only a few words with Gaby.

“Mum wants to speak with you,” Gaby quietly informed ‘her sister’.

“What’s wrong, sis? You’re awfully quiet,” Jules quietly asked much later, as the two sat on the couch.

“I don’t think Auntie Jen was too happy with Gabs and I,” Maddy turned and confessed in a low whisper.

“C’mon … upstairs!” Jules quietly suggested. “We’ll be right back, Deb...”

As Gaby followed Jules along the upstairs hallway, she passed Britney’s open bedroom door.

“You know I can’t, Casey … unless Gaby comes with me. Okay ... OKAY! ... I know how you an’ the others feel about her hanging with us ... but I’m her host. Miss Bell would be all over me if’en I didn’t include her,” Britney pleaded in a hushed voice. Her back was turned to the door so she didn’t notice Gaby standing there.

As Gaby slowly turned and walked to her bedroom to meet with Jules, Maddy didn’t know why what she had heard bothered her, but only that it did. Upon reaching her bed, she flopped down and buried her face in the pillow.

“Now what’s wrong?” Jules sarcastically asked.

“I just heard Brit talking on her phone. She was telling Casey that she can’t go out with them because she’d have to take Gaby. It sounded as if Brit and her friends don’t want her around … why, Jules?” Maddy solemnly asked.

She was aware of her eyes tearing up the more she thought of Britney’s comment.

“I thought you guys were so lucky to have Deb and Brit as your hosts … I’ve only got Jessica. If I didn’t hear Brit with my own ears...”

“From what Gabs has told me ... she feels like she’s not wanted. Brit’s okay in the house ... but she usually ignores Gabs whenever she’s around her friends ... and no one includes sis in anything...” Jules quietly confided, aware their door was still open.

“...I don’t know what’s going on … but I do know the only times I’ve seen my sister really happy is when she’s been with her cycling friends. I really don’t think she’s got any friends at school ... least not that she’s talked about ... and no one’s ever come around or phoned for her.”

Maddy looked at her in disbelief as a lone tear escaped her eye. “I had no idea …” (sniff)

“Well, now you do...” Jules whispered as the muffled sound of footsteps in the carpeted hall drew near.

“You guys coming back downstairs?” Debbie playfully questioned as she bounded up the few steps and into the room.

She came over and sat cross-legged on Jules’ bed while the other two remained on Gaby’s bed. As she looked at both girls, it was quite apparent that Gaby had been crying.

“You okay, Gabs?”

“Yeah … just talking about Mum’s call,” Jules quietly explained.

“Oh … I can leave if you want…” Debbie respectably offered.

“You don’t have to,” Gaby quietly offered. Jules nodded her agreement as Debbie looked at both girls.

Later, the three girls were enjoying some ‘girl’ talk and listening to some music, when Britney found her way into the room. She still had her cell phone in her hand when she approached Gaby.

“Umm … Gabs? Want to catch a movie next Friday?” Britney coyly asked. Jules glanced at her with suspicion, as a ‘red flag’ mentally popped up.

“Okay … I guess … what’s on?” Gaby asked after quickly glancing at Jules for some sort of direction.

“We’ll decide when we get there … I’ll tell Rich it’s okay!” Britney enthused as she flipped open her cell phone.

“Hold it, sis! You never said anything about Richard. What about Gaby? Being a third wheel is not fun!” Debbie interjected.

“Oh, that’s okay. Richard’s cousin is visitin’ next weekend,” Britney casually offered.

No way!” both Debbie and Jules chorused.

“What are you … insane?” Debbie pointedly asked a bit more loudly than she intended.

“Sure, Gabs here is a pretty girl … but aren’t you’re fergittin’ somethin’, sis? that’s Drew!” Debbie hissed pointing at Gaby. “That … is a boy!”

“I haven’t seen Rich since Gaby came,” Britney whined.

“I don’t care … Drew is a boy! Drew is not gay!” Debbie forcefully whispered and then turning to Jules, silently mouthed, “Is he?”

Jules shook her head as Debbie continued her scathing attack.

“For the sake of seeing your boyfriend-of-the week for an evening … you’d risk Drew’s health … maybe his life? You’ve seen those gay-bashing stories in the paper like I have. How well do you know Richard and his cousin ... enough to bet Drew’s life? Whatddya think they’d do to him if Rich’s cousin thought he was copping a feel and found she … was a he? You gonna visit Gaby in the hospital or stand with Mr. Bond as they watch the metal box being loaded on the plane for that last flight home? At the very least … what would happen to Jules and Gaby or for that matter ... to us?” Debbie sat glaring at her sister.

“Got anything to add, Jules?”

“You about covered it Deb,” Jules replied as she sternly looked at Gaby.

“Now, sis ... you gonna tell Richard ... no date … or shall I?”

A fully chastised Britney knew Debbie was right as she reluctantly dialed Richard’s number. “Hello … Rich?”

Later that night in their darkened bedroom, Maddy was engaged in a quiet conversation with Jules, as they lay in their beds.

“Jules? What you and Deb said about putting Gabs in danger … I did the same thing with her back ‘ome … didn’t I? I mean, with the dances an’ all.” Maddy lamented.

“Don’t forget Harry,” Jules whispered.

And Sam,” Maddy mentally added.

“I never worried about it, until earlier … but I guess there was always a danger,” Jules quietly pondered.

Following an uneasy silence, Jules added, “When you think about it … we both thought nothing of you getting Harry and Gaby together. Now, after talking to Gabs these past few days … I think it was the worst thing we could’ve done to someone we both claim to love.”

“Whaddya mean?” Maddy whispered.

“Think about it! We see Gaby as a girl. Girls are supposed to like boys … so we give her a boyfriend ... no problem ... right?” Jules quietly put forward.

“Right ... I guess,” Maddy weakly agreed.

“I mean … Gaby is Drew and we know Drew’s a boy who likes girls. So … the question is … did we have any right to assume that putting him into a dress meant he’d like boys, even if he didn’t before?”

Before Maddy could offer a response, Jules continued her analysis of the problem.

“...No ... it didn’t. While we may see Gaby on the outside … underneath the clothes and the make-up, Drew’s still there … the same person we all love … same likes … an’ dislikes. Drew’s not gay … but we both know Gaby is.”

Maddy suddenly rolled onto her side and raising herself on her elbow, she stared into the dark in the direction of her cousin’s voice, with a question of her own.

“How’d you decide that?” She realized that she’d never really thought about Drew and Gaby in that way before.

“Simple ... Gaby’s never denied that she’s in love with you … but I guess you knew that … didn’t you?”

(sniff) “Uh huh … and … I ... love her, Jules…” Maddy softly replied. At the same time, she mentally completed that sentiment. “…much more than Drew...

“I know...” Jules softly agreed.

Maddy’s tears had returned, but this time she made no attempt to stop them. Hearing Maddy’s sniffling, Jules came over and sat on the edge of Gaby’s bed as Maddy sat up and fell into her arms.

 
 
Comments are gratefully appreciated


 
To Be Continued...
 

up
102 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

You Would Think That The Switch Would Have Taught

Maddy about the turmoil that Gaby is going through. Maybe she will learn. At least Jules is there for Gaby. Makes you wonder if things would be different if everybody knew about Gaby. Would Maddy have supported Gaby more? Would the gang and Augusta students have supported Gaby?
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

School Attitudes

To address your last question: in both canon and Joni's fanfic "Rhod's trip To America" it is apparent that there is a significant group of AHS students who dislike anybody who is "different". Being intersexed would be no better in their eyes than being transsexual or lesbian. So Gaby wouldn't have had support from the Augusta students. Things are on the downhill slide for Gaby.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

SPOILER ! I'm holding back until finished, however, Spoiler!!!!

From PB's outline and Rough Waters, the middle part of the trilogy published first, I have little respect for Maddie and Rod.

Frankly after everything that will happen to Gaby/Drew in America and when they return to school in England, I was hoping when some years later after Maddie overcomes her horrid mistake and come to visit Gaby in Germany that Gaby would punch her out and shout, "I don't love lesbians, dike BITCH. I've found a man, so go to Hell and never see me again!"

But Gabi/Drew is too forgiving, is hopelessly devoted to Maddy, and in the end love triumps though frankly Maddy has long played with Drew/Gaby for her amusment, irespective of any harm it might do him/her.

Thus lies the charm of it all, Drew/Gaby and Maddy truely love each other though for a while one wonders about Maddy. I still think Gaby could do better but then Maddy's mistakes were that of a teenager.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Kids!

John, a couple of things to keep in mind. First: "Notes Of A Journey" as posted on Maddy's site was just a framework around which the "Trilogy" was written. As the stories were written, events got reshaped and things have taken a slightly different path.

Second: These were written in reverse order, the last book, "Reconciliation" (Book 3), was written first; then "Rough Waters" (Book 2) second; and now "All things denied" (Book 1). So, as PB has been writing "Atd" he has been going back (or is that forward?) and revising both "RW" and "Recon." to bring them in line with what is happening in "Atd". What is posted here will be the most up-to-date versions. These are also being sent to Maddy and she is posting the changes on her site also. But you'll get the best feel of the stories by reading them here as I post them for PB. Also, all the formating here will be true to what PB wrote, since I have control over the presentation. So nuances that may not be as obvious in Maddy's site should be clearer here.

As for Maddy Peters and Gaby, you gotta remember these are 13-14 year-old kids. Events and things have a different look from their perspective. They do and say things without taking into account the ramifications. As Kate has said in her Gaby fanfic "Drew's Meltdown", Drew/Gaby is a very compliant kid, eager to please those he likes, no matter what it takes. And Gaby is really, really in love with Maddy. That makes it easier for her to play with "Drew", "his" lack of real resistance to her plans up until now has not given her reason to stop manipulating "Drew". Think of a kid speeding in a car, if she's never been caught doing it then she'll keep on doing it until that last time, when there's a huge wreck and people are hurt. Then the lesson is learned, too late.

If you've read the second and third book over on Maddy B's site, you know how it all ends. But getting there, as they say, is half the fun. And PB goes down some fascinating side roads along the way! Enjoy the journey!

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I still think Maddy Peter's thinks of herself first and only

But then kids can be so selfcentered.

You are right, this (PBs trilogy) all ends in a whopping great emotional carwreck but ultimately triumps.

Drew's Meltdown, that one is a nice complement to PB's in many ways. I'd love to see both completed.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

You're right, John

Yeah, she is emotionally immature and hasn't learned any better. She's also an only child, a pretty girl, and is a bit spoiled as a result. Gaby (or Drew), OTOH, is the younger child in her family. Her parents got over that "problem" with Jules, so Gaby/Drew has had the benefit of her parents learning from their mistakes. And given the natural sibling rivalry between the two, Gaby/Drew doesn't have the "me, myself, I" attitude that only children usually get (and sometimes never lose).

There's a lot of growing up and maturing in these stories, and not just by Gaby and Maddy. All the kids change.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I Have Read The Trilogy And Prologue And

I do not want to spoil it for those that have not read them. Personally, I find them to be a great compliment to Maddy's story.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

well i'm reading this 1st time about 3 yrs ofter posted here

and John in a previous chapt's comment section damm near ruined this entire reading by spilling the beans... I think he's pretty immature himself for not realizing that maybe perhaps others have never heard of GABBY B4 this...or wish to discover what this particular author has to write as a interesting parallel sidetrack to the ORIGIONAL Maddy's Gabby saga... so plz ..........too bad none of you will be reading this or I'd even go further in a spanking... and john...you've done this on another series too... GOOD GRIEF WAKE UP and realize there are others wanting to enjoy the read...not be told what going to occur in the future... that's what the author/authores is susposed to be doing... and I'm pretty damm well sure it's not you doing the writing.

There's the problem...

The 'Prologue' that Stan refers to was a very rough outline of the concept for the trilogy. When I started posting what became the trilogy on Maddy's site in 2007, it had changed quite a bit, from the 'Prologue' ... but it wasn't always that apparent until the final Book was posted on Maddy's site more than a year later. At the same time (2008), a somewhat revised trilogy was being posted here on BC.

Despite repeated comments from KarenJ (one of my editors) and myself to the contrary, some people insisted on trying 'read ahead' and compare what was on Maddy's site with what was being posted on BC. Problem was, quite often the two versions didn't match and the 'spoilers' proved in time, to be less than 100% correct ... so try to ignore any 'spoilers' and just enjoy.

PB