Sister, Sister, Sister - 4

Printer-friendly version

Sister, Sister, Sister - Part 4
By Missy Crystal

Twelve year old Johnny wants to play Barbies with his sisters, but Barbies are for girls. How can Johnny join the game? A sweet, sentimental story about a young boy's discovery of the girl he should have been with the help of his sisters and mother. This is a story I wrote a couple of years ago and I am posting it here for those who would like to know more about Dr. Jenny Mitchell. It is complete, for those who anguish over being left hanging, but too long for a single post.

After I hung up from Mom, I started thinking. She was convinced that Mrs. Johnson didn't know that Jenny was a boy, but I wasn't so sure. There wasn't a lot of time for her to check me out when she saw me in the park. Did she really want to meet Jenny again, like she said, or did she want another look at me to be sure it was Johnny in girl's clothes? I didn't see any reason to take a chance. On the other hand, I liked going out as Jenny. I decided to wait and talk to Beth when she got home. She was really good at figuring things out. I wasn't sure when she'd get home from cheerleading practice, so I went down to the kitchen and started doing my homework. I tried folding my left leg under me and sitting the way Beth did. I managed it for a few minutes, but it was uncomfortable. There are some things that girls do that I guess I will never be able to do I thought. I had just finished my math and was reading my English book when I heard the door open and Beth came in.

"Hi Sis," Beth said and then did a double take. "Wow! Stand up and turn around." She paused as I modeled for her. "You look really cute."

"Thanks," I replied, "I had a very good teacher."

I smiled at her and tried to curtsey. I put my hands on the side of my skirt and started to bend down. It was more like a bow and Beth giggled.

"Well, there are still a few things I can show you."

She flared out her short cheerleader's skirt and slid her right leg back while bending her left knee.

"See, you dip down and keep you upper body straight. Girls don't bend over in skirts. Want to try it again?"

I followed Beth's example, although I was a little unsteady.

"Much better," she said approvingly. "A little more practice and you'll be a perfect lady."

"Thank you your highness," I kidded her as I tried again. As I straightened up, I told her, "seriously though, I have something I need to talk to you about."

"Okay, little sister, what's up?" she asked curiously.

"Well, Mom called. She said she was going to work another shift. Actually, she made me feel really good, because she said that she would have come home to make sure Johnny didn't get into any trouble, but she trusted Jenny and ..."

"Well, Mom's right about that," Beth interrupted. "Seeing you dressed up by yourself when I came in was surprising, but seeing you doing your homework by yourself was shocking."

"Thanks for agreeing with Mom," I said with mock anger, because I realized now that I really was a pain as a boy, "but, getting back to what I was saying, Mom will be working late, so she wanted me and you to go get Susie at Mrs. Johnson's and to make dinner. She said there's pizza in the freezer. That's the problem.

"Making frozen pizza?"

"No, the problem is my going to Mrs. Johnson's with you. Mom talked to her and she thinks that she doesn't know who I really am, but I don't think it's worth taking the chance."

"I need to change out of my cheerleader outfit. Come upstairs with me and we can talk about it."

I followed Beth upstairs to her room. I had never really looked at her cheerleader outfit before. She had on a maroon sleeveless jumper with a short pleated skirt with white between the pleats, a white long sleeved turtleneck, tan tights with white sneaker socks over them and sneakers. I was behind her on the stairs, so I could see maroon panties under her short skirt.

As soon as we got in her room, Beth stopped and said, "Unzip me please."

I hesitated.

"Are you sure?" I asked her.

"Well, let's see. I dress you up, right?"

"Right," I replied.

"And we wear our panties and bras when we get washed up, right?"

"Right," I repeated.

"And we're sisters, aren't we?"

"Yes," I agreed.

"Then what's the problem?"

"No problem. It's just that, well, it seemed like helping you to get undressed is, well, just different than your dressing me or my seeing you undressed. I don't know. It's just, well, I love being your sister and I wouldn't want to do anything to mess it up."

Beth turned around and put her arms around me.

"Nothing is going to mess things up between me and my sister Jenny. Ever!" She emphasized her assurance by hugging me. "If I ask you to do something, it's because I want you to do it. And right now I want you to unzip me. You didn't seem to mind when you did if for Cindy," she reminded me playfully, letting go of me and turning around.

I reached up and pulled the zipper down. Beth bent forward and wiggled her shoulders. The jumper slid down her arms and dropped to the floor. She stepped out of it. Next off were her sneakers and socks. After that, she crossed her arms, took hold of the bottom of her turtleneck and pulled it over her head. Then she hooked her thumbs in the waistband of her panties and started to take them off.

"Beth!" I exclaimed.

She stopped.

"What?" she said startled. Then she realized. "Oh," and she giggled. "These are cheerleader's panties. They're like bloomers."

She saw I had a puzzled look.

"Bloomers were baggy underpants girls wore in the olden days for modesty. I have on tights and my regular panties underneath." She continued to take them off, then her tights. When she finished, she was in a white sports bra and white cotton panties.

"Now then, let's talk about you," she said as she opened the closet door and took out a pair of jeans. "If you're worried about Mrs. Johnson recognizing you, why not just stay home?"

"That's what I thought too, but I like going out as Jenny. Mom said that Mrs. Johnson was really nice and even if she did know I was a boy she wouldn't say anything. If she did, Mom would just tell her I was being punished. Then again, she might have believed that story when she saw me the first time, but she'd have to wonder why I was still dressed up as a girl today. What would Mom say to that? Johnny liked wearing his sister's clothes so much that he just wanted to keep being a girl?"

Beth stepped into her jeans, pulled them up, buttoned the waist and zipped up the fly. She opened her bureau, took out a short sleeved top, slipped it over her head and tucked it in. She put her hands up and fluffed her hair. Then she turned and looked at herself in the mirror. She went back to her bureau and got out a pair of white sox. She turned to me.

"Yes, if you want my opinion, that's just what Mom should say. I think that you have to be who you are. If you're Jenny, then you're a girl and people will have to deal with you as a girl. If they have a problem, it's their problem, not yours."

I thought about what Beth had said for a while. I am Jenny. Why should I worry about Mrs. Johnson? Beth was balancing on one foot putting on her sock. I ran over and threw my arms around her. She lost her balance and we toppled over onto the bed.

"I love you, Sis," I said emotionally. "I can't imagine having a more wonderful sister. I hope Jenny grows up just like you."

Beth was rarely at a loss for words, but my show of affection took her by surprise. Either that, or I knocked the wind out of her. Either way, after we got untangled, she bent over and kissed me on the cheek.

"I love you too, Sis," she said, "but I don't want you to grow up like me. You're a very special girl. You should grow up like you. Now, if you will be a little less appreciative," she said with a grin, "I will finish getting dressed and we can go get Susie."

Beth went over to her make-up table and looked in the mirror. She touched up her lipstick.

"Come here, Sis," she said, waiving her hand holding the lipstick.

She looked me over from side to side and then she applied lipstick to my lips.

"Pucker and blot," she instructed me.

I put my lips together to spread the lipstick evenly and then used a tissue. Beth looked approvingly. She took a brush and began to fuss with my hair. When she was satisfied, she walked over to the closet and took out a pocket book.

"Here," she said, handing the pocket book to me, "let's get going."

I took the pocket book and followed her downstairs to the front door. Beth opened it and we stepped out. Beth took my arm. It was still light out as we headed down the sidewalk. Mrs. Johnson lived two blocks away. We walked slowly. If Beth had any concerns about being seen with me, she didn't show them. I was very happy and gave her arm a little tug. She looked at me and gave me a tug back. We just kept walking arm in arm, two sisters out for a stroll.

About half way to Mrs. Johnson's, a car went by and slowed down. Then it pulled over and stopped. Two boys got out.

"Hey Beth," one of them said.

"Hi Billy, hi Carl," she said back.

"Where you going?" the other boy asked, "and who's your friend?" he asked, giving me a long look.

"Not that it's any of your business," she said coldly, "but we're on our way to get my little sister Susie. And this is my cousin Jenny. She's staying with my family for a while."

"Hi Jenny," both boys said together.

"Hi," I replied shyly.

The woman driving the car honked to get the boy's attention.

"Gotta go," one of the boys said. Then he turned to Beth. "Are you going to the school dance Friday night?" he asked.

"I'm not sure yet," Beth told him. "It depends. We might be doing a family thing with my cousin. I have to check with my mother."

"Well," the boy said, "bring her along. We'll show her a real good time."

He winked at us and then got back in the car and closed the door. The other boy got in and the car drove off.

"I'm sorry, Jenny," Beth apologized, "those boys are really fresh."

"No problem, Sis. In fact, it was fun. They certainly thought I was a girl."

"True," Beth agreed, "a really cute one from the way Billy was eyeing you."

"Sis, please, you're making me blush."

Beth took my arm.

"Actually," she said as we started walking again, "would you like to go to the dance with me on Friday?"

"I don't think so," I told her. "Hanging out with your girlfriends was one thing, but I'm not ready for a crowd and especially not boys, if those two were any example."

"Unfortunately, they are," Beth said with a sigh. "You're probably right. I keep forgetting that you're my little," she emphasized 'little', "sister."

We reached Mrs. Johnson's house. Beth looked at me.

"Ready?" she asked.

I adjusted my skirt and fluffed my hair.

"Do I look okay?" I asked Beth.

"You look fine, Jenny."

"Then I'm as ready as I'll ever be," I told her.

Beth reached over and rang the bell. After about a minute, Mrs. Johnson opened the door.

"Beth," she paused, studying me, "and Jenny. How nice, come in."

She stepped back to let us in, closed the door behind us and then turned to look at me.

"Jenny, I'm very happy to see you again."

She took my arm.

"Beth, why don't you go upstairs and get Susie ready. I want to talk with Jenny a bit."

Beth looked at me. I nodded for her to go ahead. She went up the stairs leaving me alone with Mrs. Johnson. She continued to hold my arm. I wasn't sure if she was just being friendly or she wanted to make sure I didn't get away.

"Let's sit in the living room, Jenny."

She gently led me by the hand to a chair. I reached behind me, smoothed my skirt and sat down. I crossed my legs at the ankle and put my purse in my lap with my hands on it. Mrs. Johnson sat in a chair a few feet across from me.

"Well," she said after we got settled, "how are things going so far?"

I couldn't tell from her question whether she was just making conversation or she was asking me whether I liked being a girl. I decided to be honest.

"I'm very happy."

"Yes, I can see that," she replied pleasantly. "Everything seems to be working out well for you and you're family. You're happy, your sisters seem happy and from talking with your mother, she's happy too.

My face went blank. My family, my sisters, my mother! She knew! Mrs. Johnson read my expression.

"Its okay, Jenny. Really. I've known since we met in the park. I'm a psychologist. My job is to observe people. Even though you were wearing girl's clothes, I could tell from the way you acted that you weren't born a girl. You could probably fool most people, but not me. And seeing you with Beth and Susie, it wasn't hard to figure out who you were."

She gave me a reassuring look.

"At first, I decided it was none of my business, but yesterday I noticed a change in your mother when she stopped by to pick up Susie. She used to complain to me about what a problem you were, Johnny I mean."

She paused and smiled at me, then went on.

"But that changed. She was happy and relaxed. I can't say that I understand it. I don't work with transgendered people."

She saw that I didn't understand.

"I'm sorry, I should have realized you didn't know all the words yet. "'Transgendered,' she explained, "means someone who is born one gender, but identifies with the opposite gender, although most don't come out as young as you."

"What do you mean, 'come out'?" I asked her.

"'Come out' means two things. It means to tell people how you feel about yourself and it also means to go out in public dressed as a girl, at least if you're a boy. It's the opposite of keeping how you feel a secret or dressing up when nobody's around." She paused. "Did you ever do that? Get dressed up in your sister's clothes. Is that how this got started?"

"No, it all started when I was pestering my sisters to let me play Barbies with them last weekend," I explained. "Beth wanted to get rid of me, so she told me that only girls played Barbies and if I wanted to play I had to wear a dress. I'm sure she didn't think I would do it and I don't know why I did. Maybe it was because I was stubborn or maybe I felt deep down that I was a girl, but I let her dress me up and, well, it just felt right."

"I see." She paused. "People's minds are very complicated or I wouldn't have a job." She smiled. "Usually we do things for more than one reason, so it was probably a little of both."

Just then we heard Susie, Beth and Julie coming down the stairs.

Mrs. Johnson stood up and looked at me and said in a serious voice, "Listen Jenny, I want to be your friend. If there's anything that you don't want to talk to you mother about or that your mother can't help you with, please come talk to me. Will you do that?"

I walked over and put my arms around her. She put her arms around me and we hugged each other.

"I'll take that as a yes," she said softly.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Beth looking at us with a worried expression. I nodded my head slightly to let her know everything was okay. I saw her face relax into a smile.

"All right, you kids, time to get going. Jenny, I am very glad you came to visit and hope to see more of you."

She turned to Beth who was holding Susie's hand.

"It was nice to see you too and Susie, I'll see you tomorrow."

She walked us to the front door and opened it. When we reached the end of the walk Beth stopped.

"Well, don't keep me in suspense," she said excitedly, "what happened?"

"I was right," I told her. "Mrs. Johnson did recognize me at the park."

"Oh!" Beth exclaimed.

"But Mom was right too," I continued. "She said Mrs. Johnson was nice. In fact she knows all about being transgendered. That means a boy who is really a girl, like me" I said, very pleased with myself to finally know something that Beth didn't, "and she wants to help me."

"That's wonderful," Beth said.

"And you were right too, Sis. You said I should be me and not worry what people think. It worked out fine."

Beth stopped walking and turned to me with a serious look on her face.

"Jenny, I'm happy that Mom was right about Mrs. Johnson, but I also know how the kids at my school talk about queers. And when you went to the mall as Jenny, you told Mom that if the boys at your school recognized you, they would beat you up. Maybe my advice wasn't that good after all. I'm not sure that the world is ready for Jenny or Jenny is ready for the world. Please be careful. I don't want to see you get hurt."

"I agree, Sis. Not everyone is like Mrs. Johnson. I remember how worried I was when I went to school yesterday with my earrings in and nail polish on.

Beth gave me a puzzled look.

"It's a long story. I'll tell you later, but I promise to be careful."

Just then Susie tugged on my arm.

"Jenny, what are you and Beth talking about? Come on, let's go home."

I knelt down and told her, "Susie, Mrs. Johnson knows that I'm a boy."

She became defensive.

"I didn't tell her, Jenny, really. You told me that I couldn't say anything and I didn't. I really, really, didn't."

I put my hand on her arm reassuringly.

"Calm down, Sis. I know you didn't. Mrs. Johnson recognized me when she saw me at the park. I'm very proud of you."

She looked relieved. We started walking again.

"And, I have a surprise for you." I paused dramatically.

"What, Jenny, what? Please tell me. What's the surprise?"

"Well, Mom is working late tonight, so it will just be us three sisters."

"Oh, that's great!" she said enthusiastically. "We can have cookies and ice cream and play games."

"Hold on, Susie," I cautioned her, "this isn't a party. Mom trusts us to be grown up and take care of ourselves while she works."

"Yes. You wouldn't want her to be disappointed when she gets home, would you?" Beth added. "Besides, we all have school tomorrow."

"Okay," Susie conceded.

We reached our house and went in. Beth, always Miss Efficiency, started giving us directions.

"I'll bake the pizza and make a salad. Jenny and Susie, you set the table."

She went to the freezer and took out the pizza.

"Jenny, come here for a second," Beth said as I was putting out the placemats. "Susie can finish that. Do you know how to use the oven?"

"No," I admitted.

"Well, you need to learn your way around a kitchen if you want to be a good wife."

She thought that was hilarious and started giggling. I didn't think it was very funny and gave her a dirty look.

"I'm sorry, Jenny. I was just joking," she said apologetically.

"Seriously, though. This is the oven. She pointed to a door in the front of the stove."

"Well, duh, Sis. I know what an oven is."

"Oh really? Then turn it on and set it for 375 degrees," she challenged me.

I looked at her.

"Listen, if I knew that I was a girl, I would have hung out with Mom in the kitchen like you did and make cookies and stuff, but this came as a surprise to all of us. Now show me how it works."

Beth went into her teaching tone of voice.

"You turn this knob here," she pointed, "until the little red dot on the stove is over the 375. That's it. Then you just wait until little red light next to the knob goes out, which means it's ready.

"Wow, I'll have to practice to get it down," I kidded her.

Beth got the dinner ready and after we ate we cleaned up the kitchen. As I was putting the dishes away, I thought to myself how much I enjoyed being close to my sisters and how much I would have missed as their brother. I shrugged my shoulders.

Beth saw me and asked, "What was that for?"

"Nothing," I told her. "I was just thinking how different things might have been and how happy I am to be Susie's and your sister."

Beth put down her dishtowel. She put her arms around me and gave me a hug.

"Me too," she said affectionately.

Susie had been listening and came over to make it a group hug.

"Me three."

We all started giggling.

After dinner, Susie asked me if I would give her a bath and play with her. I had a lot of homework to do, so I told her I would get the bath ready, but that she would have to play and wash up by herself. She pouted, but went off to get undressed. I went upstairs and started the bath the way Mom had shown me. I turned on the water let the tub fill up. As I was bending over to check the water temperature, I heard the door open. I turned around and Susie was standing there without any clothes on.

"Susie!" I said hurriedly, "please wrap a towel around you."

Susie looked at me innocently.

"Why Jenny, what's the matter? Aren't you my sister?"

I turned my head away, so I wasn't looking at her.

"Yes, Susie, but don't you remember? Mom said that even though I'm your sister, I'm still a boy and boys don't see girls without their clothes on."

Susie replied with perfect seven year old's logic.

"That's silly. You're not a boy. You're a girl. If you were a boy you couldn't be my sister could you?"

"I don't know the answer to that question, Susie. All I know is that Mom said I shouldn't do it and I don't want to do anything that would make her mad at me. Do you?"

"No," she agreed, "I don't want to get you in trouble."

"Okay then. Your bath's ready."

I turned off the faucet and checked the temperature of the water again.

"Hop in. You can play for a bit and then you need to wash up. I'll send Beth up to get you out."

I went back downstairs. Beth was at the kitchen table doing her homework.

"Susie's in the tub," I told her. "Will you go up and get her out in about fifteen minutes, please?"

"No problem, Jenny," Beth said.

The rest of the night went very quickly. While Beth got Susie to bed, I finished my homework and stated to get ready for bed. I went in my room and stripped down to my panties and top. On the way to the bathroom, I passed Beth coming from putting Susie to sleep.

"Night, Sis," I said affectionately.

"Night, Jenny," she said and blew me a kiss.

After doing my nightly beauty routine, I went back to my room and slipped into my nightgown. I set my alarm clock for 7:00, to be sure that I had plenty of time to take out my earrings and make sure all of my makeup was off. Then I turned out the light, got into bed and snuggled down, enjoying the silky smooth feeling of my nylon nightgown sliding against the sheets. I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.

My alarm rang. As a boy, I could jump out of bed and get ready for school in five minutes, but I couldn't bring myself to change into my plain white cotton briefs and t-shirt. If I couldn't go to school as a girl, then at least I could I feel as feminine as possible. I pulled my nightgown over my head and stood there in my panties and cammie. After all, who would know? I stepped into a pair of jeans and slipped on a flannel shirt. The cammie had a low scoop neck, so it didn't show. A pair of white athletic socks and sneakers completed my outfit. Johnny on the outside, Jenny on the inside I thought and couldn't help a girlish giggle as I headed downstairs.

I ran into Susie in the hallway.

"What's so funny, Jenny?" she asked.

"Oh, nothing, really," I said with a big smile.

Then I realized she had called me 'Jenny' and gave her a stern look.

"Susie, I know it's hard, but please, please, please little sister, please be careful about calling me 'Jenny' when I'm dressed as a boy."

"I'm sorry, Johnny" she said with a sad look. "I'll really try."

"I know you will, Sis, and I love you very much."

I bent down and gave her a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"Eww, gross!" she exclaimed, wiping the kiss off with the back of her hand. "I don't like boys kissing me."

She paused and then gave me a silly look. We both laughed. Mom was waiting for us in the kitchen.

"Beth told me all about you going to Mrs. Johnson's with her. I didn't think she recognized you in the park, but I am glad that everything worked out alright."

"Me too, Mom," I agreed. "We had a really nice conversation. She knows about boys who are 'transgendered', that means who feel like girls," I added to show off my new vocabulary. "I wonder if she could do something so that I could go to school as Jenny?"

"Well, honey," Mom said thoughtfully. "I'm sure she could help you with your feelings, but I think you're too young to make that decision. I will talk to Claire and see what she has to say. Okay?"

"Okay, Mom," I replied.

Mom was watching me as I cut my pancakes into small pieces and used my napkin to wipe my mouth after each bite.

"Johnny better eat like a boy and get going," she said with a wink, "or he's going to be late."

I loaded the last three pieces on my fork with the syrup dripping, shoved them in my mouth, turned to Mom and said, "mmpff." She laughed. Then I wiped my sticky lips, got up, grabbed my backpack and headed out the door with Susie following me. We walked to the corner and waited for the bus. As I stood there, I looked at the girls and thought to myself how we all had on our pretty undies. I wondered which ones were wearing bras and imagined what it would be like to have real breasts and need to wear one. My daydream ended when the bus pulled up. I waited to make sure that Susie got on and then followed her.

The ride to school was boring. I sat with some of the guys I used to hang out with, before I made up the excuse that my mother had grounded me for bad grades, so I could go right home and be Jenny. I got to my homeroom and started to look through my homework. Then it hit me. I had gym first period! What was I thinking this morning? I couldn't get undressed in the locker room. Everyone would see that I was wearing girl's underwear. I would have to drop out of school. The bell was about to ring and I needed an excuse to get out of gym. I had a sick feeling in my stomach and that gave me an idea. I headed up the stairs to the school nurse's office. Mrs. McGowan was always nice to me. I would tell her I had a stomachache and couldn't go to gym. I opened the door to her office. She was sitting at her desk and looked up.

"Johnny, hello," she said with a smile. "What brings you back so soon? Not another problem with your nails I hope?"

"No, Mrs. McGowan. I have a bad stomachache," I said with a pained look on my face. "I would have tried to see if it went away by itself, but I have gym first period and didn't think it was a good idea for me to be exercising. It really hurts," I added, holding my stomach for dramatic effect.

"Oh, dear," she said sympathetically, "let's go in back and check you out."

We walked into the examining room, where there were cabinets with medical supplies and an examining table.

"Hop up," she directed.

She took a thermometer out of a glass jar and wiped it with a piece of gauze, then put it in my mouth. Then she took my wrist and held it while looking at her watch. After a couple of minutes she let go of my wrist and took out the thermometer.

"Hmm," she said, holding the thermometer up to the light. "No temp and your pulse is normal."

She put her hand on my forehead and pulled up my eyelid with her thumb.

"Eyes are okay. Pull up your shirt and lay down."

"Huh," I said, taken by surprise. "You want me to get undressed?"

"Don't be silly," she said sternly. "You don't need to get undressed. Just lift up your shirt so I can check your stomach. Come on now, I haven't got all day."

I had no choice. I held my shirt with both hands and pulled it half way up my chest. I hoped that the cammie was short enough not to show as I lay back.

Mrs. McGowan began to press on my stomach with her hands. She started up under my ribs and moved down, going from side to side.

"Does this hurt," she would ask each time.

I said, "No," until she was right over my stomach and then, "Yes, that hurts a lot."

She continued until she was just above my waist.

"Please unfasten the top of your pants," she said.

I hesitated, hoping she would change her mind.

"Johnny, please unfasten your pants," she repeated.

I had no choice. I reached down and undid the top button of my jeans.

"Good. Now, just relax," she told me. "I'm almost done."

She slid the top of her hand under the waist of my jeans and continued to press. I was watching her face, to see if there was a reaction, but I couldn't see any. She appeared to be concentrating on the examination.

"Does this hurt?" she asked me.

"Just a little bit," I lied.

She finished her examination and said, "Okay, Johnny. I am going to go into the office and call you mother while you get dressed."

She left the examining room and closed the door.

I quickly tucked my shirt in and buttoned my pants. Then I opened the door and went into the office. Mrs. McGowan was on the telephone.

"I will give him an excuse for gym this time," I heard her say. She stopped when she saw me come in. "He's here now. I'll talk to you later, Carol. Bye."

Mrs. McGowan took a note pad and wrote on it.

"Take this to the office and give it to the secretary so you won't get detention for skipping gym. I think you will be able to go to the rest of your classes without any problem." She gave me a funny look, "don't you?"

I wasn't sure whether she knew or even suspected what was really going on, but my experience had been that it was better to be honest, so I said politely, "yes, Mrs. McGowan. I'm feeling better already."

I dropped the note off at the office and went to my next class. The rest of the day went by quickly, now that I was into doing my homework and enjoying school. At lunch I watched the girls and fantasized about what it would be like to be able to go to school as Jenny. Most of the girls wore fitted jeans and cute little tops. A few had on short skirts with blouses or sweaters. I thought to myself, if Jenny ever comes to school, she definitely will be a girly girl. Maybe Mrs. Johnson could help me get my wish. I hoped that Mom spoke with her.

As usual when I got home from school, Mom was at work, Beth was at cheerleading practice and Susie was at Mrs. Johnson's, so I had the house to myself. I was hungry, but couldn't wait to change into Jenny. I left my backpack in the kitchen and went upstairs to Beth's room to pick out an outfit.

I had worn a skirt and blouse yesterday and decided to try something dressier. I started looking through her closet and found a really pretty dress. It was pastel blue — Beth always liked blue — with a straight knee length skirt, a jewel neckline and three-quarter sleeves with white lace trim around the collar, cuffs and hem. I held it up and looked in the mirror. Definitely me, I thought with a smile. I took the dress off the hanger and laid it on Beth's bed. I went to her bureau and looked through her stocking drawer. Up to now I had worn tights or knee socks and I wanted to try pantyhose. I found a pair of sheer white ones that I thought would look good with the dress. Finally, I needed shoes. I looked through Beth's collection and found a pair of white high-heel pumps. I had never worn heels before and thought it would be fun to try. I quickly stripped down to the panties and cammie that had made such a problem for me this morning.

I picked up the pantyhose and started to roll up one of the legs, the way Beth had shown me with the tights. They stockings were smooth and silky and I couldn't wait to see how they felt on me. Then I felt a snag and saw a thread had caught and was sticking up. Beth had warned me that pantyhose were more delicate than tights and I had to be careful not to run them. Darn! Stupid rough boy's hands I thought to myself. I put the pantyhose down and went over to Beth's dressing table. She had all sorts of lotions that she was always rubbing on herself to make her skin soft and smooth. I found a bottle that said 'extra moisturizing lotion' and squirted some into my hand. I rubbed it in and then remembered watching Beth do her feet and legs, so I squirted some more and did them too. It felt really nice and creamy.

As I was looking at my feet, I noticed that the nails were long. Beth and Susie gave me a manicure as part of the makeover they did when they first dressed me up as Jenny and I had kept my fingernails shaped, so I could polish them. I rummaged through the table until I found Beth's nail clippers and an emery board and gave myself a pedicure. I had watched Beth twist her leg around so her foot was in her lap pointing up, but for the life of me I couldn't duplicate that exercise; just one more annoying reminder to me that I was not a girl. I ended up bending over and working on my toes, trimming the nails and smoothing them. When I was finished, I looked longingly at the nail polish. It would make me feel really girlish to have polished toenails, but I remembered I had another period of gym this week.

When I was satisfied that my hands, feet and legs were ready, I went back and started to put on the pantyhose. This time it went smoothly and, when I had one leg bunched up, I pointed my foot and pulled the sheer material over my toes and up over my knee. Then I did the same with the other leg. I stood up and continued to gently pull and smooth the stockings until the panty was at my crotch and then tugged on the waistband until it was above my waist. I went back and smoothed the legs and panty. The stockings felt light and cool on my skin. It was such a wonderful sensation; I wondered why girls didn't wear stockings all the time. I guessed that it was because they were easy to run and a nuisance to pull up and down when you had to go to the bathroom. As far as I was concerned, it would be worth it to feel so pretty and feminine.

I spent a lot of time admiring myself in the wall mirror. I turned and posed, ran my hands over my legs and enjoyed my first experience wearing pantyhose. Finally, I turned to the bed and picked up the dress. It zipped up the back. I pulled the zipper down to the waist and stepped into it. Then I pulled up the top, put my arms in and slipped it over my shoulders. The dress was a silky material and I could feel it sliding over my pantyhose as I moved. When I had it on, I reached around and found the zipper. I started to pull it up and got to the middle of my back, but my arms wouldn't reach any higher. I struggled to grab the zipper by reaching back over my shoulder and figured out that if I bunched up the material with my fingers, it would move the zipper higher and I could grab it. I finally managed to get the zipper all the way up. It took me a few minutes more of struggling to fasten the hook at the neck, but at last I was in my dress.

I wanted to model it, but I thought that it would be more fun if I did my hair and makeup first, so I could see my full transformation into Jenny. Then I remembered Beth telling me that girls usually did their hair and makeup before they put on their dress, so they wouldn't anything on it. Rats! Well, it was too late now. I went to the linen closet and got a big white towel to drape over my shoulders and sat down at Beth's dressing table. I used the blow dryer and styling brush to make my hair full and fluffy. When I was satisfied, I found a pale blue hair ribbon and slipped it on. I remembered watching Beth tweeze her eyebrows, so they were smooth. I found her tweezers and moved closer to the mirror to see if there were any stray hairs that I could remove. I found one and grabbed it with the tweezers. Ouch! That really hurt. I found a few more and pulled them out too. Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Being beautiful really was painful. I didn't want to do too much or someone would notice. Finally, some red lipstick. I was getting really good at putting on lipstick. I puckered my lips to get a smooth, even coating and admired myself in the mirror. I noticed a tiny jar of lip-gloss and decided to put that on too. Wow! I really liked the way I looked.

Beth always said that accessories make the outfit. She would spend hours at the mall looking for just the right belt for a new skirt or earrings to go with a blouse, even though she had lots already. I thought she was nuts until now. When you put a lot of time and effort into your appearance you want everything to be perfect. I found a silver chain with a pearl on it in her jewelry box and fastened it around my neck. The pearl hung against my skin just above the neckline of my dress. I remembered that Beth had me buy a pair of pearl earrings when we were shopping at the mall and found them. I still wasn't good at getting the posts through the holes, but eventually managed to put them through and get the backs on. I started to walk back to get my shoes and then decided on some perfume as the finishing touch. I picked a powdery lilac scent that I always liked when Beth wore it.

Last, but definitely not least, I thought, high heels. I smoothed my dress under me and sat on the edge of the bed. I slipped on one of the pumps. It slid easily over the nylon stockings. I crossed my leg and the stockings felt wonderful as they glided over each other. I slipped on the other pump. I stood up and had trouble balancing on the spike heels. I took a couple of small steps, using the dresser for support. The shoes I had worn with my other outfits had heels, but they were not this high or this narrow. I practiced walking, keeping my back straight and looking ahead. I turned to see myself in the mirror and almost fell over, but what I saw made it all worth it. Looking back at me was a pretty girl. I smiled and the pretty girl smiled back. The high heels raised the hem of my dress higher and I loved the way the arch of my foot made my legs look longer. Whatever it took to learn to walk in heels, it was worth it.

I looked at the clock. I had spent more than an hour getting dressed. Whoever said time flies when you're having fun was right. Mom and Susie would be home soon and I decided I better get downstairs and start on my homework. I got to the top of the stairs and considered whether I should take off my shoes before I tried to go down. A girl has to learn sometime, I though to myself, and cautiously inched my way down, holding onto the railing. It took a while, but I made it to the bottom and tottered into the kitchen. I was sitting at the table, working on my math when I heard the back door open and Susie rushed in.

"Jenny!" she squealed when she saw me. "Wow! You look beautiful."

I stood up and turned around for her, forgetting that I had on the high heels and had to grab the back of the chair for support, making Susie giggle.

"Well," I said with a big smile, "we'll just have see how you do wearing heels for the first time, won't we little Miss Giggles."

"Oh, yes, yes!" Susie replied gleefully, "I can't wait. Can I try your heels on now? Can I Jenny? Please?"

Before I could answer, Mom came in. She looked at me and did a double take.

"Jenny, my goodness! I love your dress and you've done such a nice job with your hair and makeup. I wish we had someplace to go, so I could show off my glamorous daughter. Turn around, Honey, let me see."

This time I remembered I had on heels and was much more careful how I moved. I slowly walked in a circle holding my arms away from my body with my hands out and fingers spread, the way I had seen models walk on TV.

"Mom, she has on high heels," Susie pointed out. "I want to wear high heels too. Can I Mom? Can I?"

"Of course you can, Susie," Mom agreed, "but not right now. The next time you have a party I'll see if I can find some heels for you, but they really don't make heels this high in your size. You'll need to grow a little more."

Susie pouted.

"You can try mine on if you want, Sis," I offered to cheer her up.

"No, Jenny. It's okay. You wear them. They're too big for me anyway. I guess I can wait a little bit."

Suddenly she was her happy self again and turned to Mom.

"Can Jenny play with me Mom?"

"Well, its almost dinner time," Mom told her, "and I have something I need to talk to Jenny about, so why don't you go upstairs and wash up."

After Susie left the kitchen, Mom turned to me.

"I had a nice chat with Mrs. McGowan today," she said matter-of-factly."

"Yes, I know. I was there when she called you about my stomachache."

"No, after that," Mom said.

"Oh," I said, as if I was clueless, about what?"

"She wanted to know why you came to school wearing your sister's underwear?"

My heart sank. I looked up at Mom. She didn't look mad or upset.

"Oh," I said nervously. "What did you tell her?"

"I told her that it wasn't your sister's underwear, it was yours."

"Oh," I said again, afraid of what was going to come next. "What did she say?"

"She said that it explained why you had pierced ears and came to school wearing nail polish."

I forgot all about my ears. She must have seen them when I lay down and my hair fell back.

"Is that all," I asked hopefully.

"No."

My heart sank again.

"Am I in trouble? Am I going to get thrown out of school? Did I get you in trouble?"

"No, no and no," Mom said reassuringly.

"Really?" I couldn't believe it.

"Really!" Mom emphasized.

"Then what did Mrs. McGowan have to say?"

Mom paused and then she said with a smile, "Mrs. McGowan said that in the future you should be more careful about what you wear to school on gym days, because she can't give you medical excuses for non-medical reasons."

I was so relieved I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, so instead I just hugged Mom and put my head against her chest. She put her arms around me and hugged me back. We stayed together for a long time, a mother comforting her daughter. Then she relaxed and let go of me.

"It's okay, Jenny. I'm not mad and luckily Sally McGowan is a good friend and an understanding person. She is willing to let me deal with this. But why on earth did you take a chance and go to school in your girl's underwear?"

"I know it was dumb, Mom," I answered. "But, well, it's just that I didn't want to give up being Jenny completely and I thought that nobody would know if I kept my panties and cammie on under my boy's clothes. I forgot that I had to get undressed for gym until I got to school. Then it was too late. I thought that if I pretended to have a stomachache, Mrs. McGowan would excuse me from gym. I never imagined that she would give me an examination and when she did, I tried my best not to let her see anything. Actually, I thought I got away with it." I looked down. "I guess not. I won't do it again," I added. "Promise."

"This is exactly what I was afraid of, Jenny. I love having a third daughter and Beth and Susie love having you as their sister, but I think it was a mistake for me to encourage you. It's just too complicated for someone your age."

I thought for a bit and then tried my best to explain my feelings.

"Mom, it is difficult, but it's not a mistake. I don't know how it happened that I was born a boy, but I should have been a girl. I know that now. I can pretend to be Johnny, but Jenny is who I am. I can't change how I feel about myself and nothing you can do can change things back to the way they were. I may have problems being Jenny, but I definitely will be miserable not being Jenny."

Mom didn't say anything. She just opened her arms and I moved back in for another mother and daughter hug. I thought I heard her sniffle, and then she was back to normal.

"Jenny, dear, please set the table. I am going upstairs to change out of my uniform and then we will have dinner. Beth called me at the hospital and said she would be staying at Cindy's house after practice to work on a cheerleader fund raising project and that she will eat there."

Mom stared to go upstairs and then she stopped and turned around.

"Oh, my!" she exclaimed. "With all the goings on I completely forgot. I have a surprise."

"A Surprise, Mom? What is it?" I asked excitedly.

"Well, you'll just have to wait until Beth gets home so I can tell you all at the same time. She would be upset if she wasn't here when I told you."

As soon as we finished dinner, Mom sent Susie off to her room to get ready for bed. I helped Mom clean up the kitchen and then she went upstairs to check on Susie and left me to finish my homework. I was working on an English essay when Beth came in.

She took one look at me and ordered, "Jenny, stand up. Turn around and let me look at you."

Why did everyone want me to do ballet routines in high heels I wondered, as a tried my best to keep my balance.

"I hate you," Beth said angrily.

I was startled.

"Beth, I'm sorry. I, I, I thought it was okay for me to borrow your clothes. I, I, I didn't mean to make you mad. I will take your dress off immediately."

I turned around and stumbled towards the stairs.

"Stop, Jenny," Beth called after me. "Come back here. Please. I'm not mad at you. I was teasing."

I stopped and looked back at her. She was smiling at me. I walked back slowly.

"I don't hate you because you're wearing my dress. We're sisters and whatever I have is yours. I hate you because you look better in it than I do. The stockings, the shoes and the jewelry you picked out, even your makeup and hair, they're all perfect. I was born a girl and you're better at it than me." She pretended to pout. "That's why I hate you. I'm jealous of my beautiful little sister."

"Stop it Beth. You're making me blush. There isn't anything I would rather have than a compliment from you, but I know it isn't true. I wish that I had a figure like yours, then I really would be beautiful; but I never will." I sighed.

Beth got serious. "Listen, Jenny. I may look sexy when I fill out, but you have a natural beauty. You'll see. It won't be long before the phone starts ringing with boys asking you for a date. You're going to be a real heartbreaker. I can tell."

I stared at her in surprise.

"Beth, what in the world are you talking about? I'm not dating boys. Are you nuts?"

"Maybe, maybe not," she replied. "You say that now, but a girl doesn't get dressed up for herself. She gets dressed up to look better than the other girls so the boys will notice her."

"Even if that were so Beth, I'm around boys all the time. I don't find any of them attractive. I see the girls all whispering and giggling when some good looking guy goes by, at least they must think he's good looking, but I wouldn't want him to ask me out."

Beth paused, then said with her usual logic, "Of course not. Johnny is a boy and he's not gay, so why would he be romantically interested in another boy. But Jenny is a girl and it's only natural for her to want to have a boyfriend."

As usual, Beth did have a point. I wasn't sure how it worked, but I definitely did feel differently about things as Jenny.

"Well," I joked, "maybe I will break hearts one day. But if you don't give me a lesson in how to walk in high heels, I will more likely break my neck."

The change of subject must have caught Beth off guard. There was a few seconds of silence and then she started laughing so hard I thought she'd wet herself. When she finally stopped, she walked over and took my hand.

"Of course, little sister, that's what big sisters are for. Here let me put on the pumps and I'll show you. It's easy once you know the secret."

I sat down on the chair and took off my shoes. Beth sat down on the other chair and pulled off her sneakers and sox. Then she slipped on the heels. She stood up and walked confidently to the stairs, did a graceful turn and walked back. I watched as her hips and behind swayed and made a note to try to copy her walk.

"The trick is to keep your weight forward on the front of your foot, where the shoe is widest." She walked back to the stairs and slowly went up a step." She turned around and started down. "Coming down, you put the front of your foot down first and then your heel. It takes a little practice to be able to walk in heels, but you'll get used to it and before long you won't even think about it. You'll just do it automatically."

I looked at Beth appreciatively.

"Thanks, Sis. Then I remembered that Mom had a surprise for us. "Oh, silly, me, I completely forgot. Mom said she has a surprise for us and wanted to wait for you to get home before she told us."

"Well, what are we waiting for?" Beth asked impatiently. "Let's get Susie and go see Mom."

I padded up the stairs in my bare feet while Beth went up like an Olympic athlete in her heels. We got to the top and went to Susie's room. Mom was sitting on her bed reading her a story. Beth and I hurried in and plopped down on the bed next to her.

"Okay, we're here. Tell us. What is the big surprise?"

TO BE CONTINUED

up
72 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

sister4

wow i love it getiong relly hot so please keep going .love n hugs oldhippie

mr charlles r purcell
verry good story i wood love to see a lot more of this all i can say is wow verry good thanks for shareing

good stories

oooh i love how this stories going keep up the good work

Oh, No, a cliff hanger to

Oh, No, a cliff hanger to tantilize us all until the next chapter. I really, really hope it is something neat for Jenny and her sisters, say like her being able to remain Jenny all the time. J-Lynn

Sisters

laika's picture

I'm really enjoying this series. I'm one of those people who wanted to know more about,
or just to continue visiting with some of your memorable characters from ALL DOLLED UP,
so this is a real treat. This one sure has a different feel to it than the other story ......
Whereas that was very much a transcript of Virginia's thoughts and concerns about Jamie,
and with a lot of dilemnas and ethical cul de sacs to it---a stream of consciousness tour de
force---Jenny's tale is nonstop sibling interactions and small adventures, with a manic energy
to rival the best of the t.g. coming-of-age stories on this site. I don't know if I like it as
well as the unique & somehow "literary" ALL DOLLED UP; but it's maybe kinda funner for me
at this moment, because two like that in a row might have been a little heavy for my taste.
Which is not to imply that this is some kind of fluff. It's warm, it's sweet, but it's not facile;
with passages hinting at the sort of depth that would characterize the other story,
and if not exactly forshadowing anything, there's a sense that this could
detour into some gnarly social realism that wouldn't be pretty at all.
But that's a guess, and I guess we'll see...
~~~hugs, Laika