There is Nothing like a Dame Chapter 16

Printer-friendly version
361304-pentax-645z-sample-image_0.jpg


There is Nothing like a Dame

A novel by Bronwen Welsh


Copyright© 2017 Bronwen Welsh

A sequel to 'The Might-Have-Been Girl' and 'All the World's a Stage'

Chapter 16   Planning a gala performance

Richard Jenkins laughed: “Well I thought I might get a more cordial reception than that!” he said. He bounded across the room, took my free hand and planted a kiss on my glowing cheek.

“I'm sorry, Richard, it was just so unexpected to see you here. I thought you were over in L.A. shooting a film.”

“I was,” he said. “It ran surprisingly smoothly, no 'creative differences' and we've finished early. I was on my way back to Britain, but when I heard that you were here, I couldn't miss the opportunity to stop off and say 'hello'.” He looked at me and smiled: “I must say that married life seems to suit you, you looking more radiant than ever. Reggie is a lucky man.”

I was recovering my composure by now and responded: “You should try marriage yourself some time.”

“Ah me! The only woman I ever truly loved went off and married someone else,” he said in a melodramatic fashion, raising his hand to his forehead in true 'silent film' style.

“She must have been very sensible,” I replied and suddenly realising that Magnolia was an interested observer of all this banter, and making goodness knows what of it, I said: “Richard, I don't believe you've met Mrs Thompson?”

Turning to her, he said: “Mrs Thompson, I'm so sorry; you must think me very rude ignoring my hostess. Thank you so much for inviting me to your lovely home.” I could hardly believe it when he took her hand and raised it to his lips.

She laughed, and there was a faint tinge of pink on her cheeks when she said: “You're very welcome, Richard, and please, call me Magnolia.”

“Magnolia! What a lovely name,” he said, and I'm sure that tinge of pink on her cheek deepened.

The trouble with Richard is that he is so devastatingly handsome, and what's more he knows it and uses it to great effect. Women, from teenagers to those in their eighties go weak at the knees when subjected to the full force of his charm. To be honest I can't say I am totally immune myself.

Fortunately, at that moment Hiram entered the room.

“Good evening, darling,” he said to Magnolia, kissing her on the cheek and turning to me said: “Well, Harriet, was that a surprise?”

“It certainly was,” I replied. “A nice surprise. I thought Richard was in Hollywood.”

At that moment, with a timing that could not have been bettered, the dinner gong sounded.

Ellen had excelled herself; we started with a baked French onion soup topped with toast and melted cheese. The main course was roast beef with potatoes and onions cooked in the same pan, with asparagus spears. This was followed by a tossed salad with cherry tomatoes, sliced onions, cucumber and celery, topped with croutons and balsamic vinigrette dressing. The dessert was blueberry cheesecake. How could I ever go back to baked beans on toast again?

Fortunately, by now I was learning to handle the meals, delicious though they were, by having relatively small portions. The scales awaited me each morning and showed no movement as yet and that's the way I wanted it to stay. During the meal we chatted generally about a variety of topics. Now I am blonde and I was quite young then, but even I wasn't so dumb that I didn't suspect there was more to Richard arriving than just wanting to see me. As we concluded our meal the front door bell rang, and a minute later, Miranda joined us. Now my suspicions were confirmed.

Miranda was introduced to Richard, with the usual reaction showing on her cheeks and it was obvious to me that his presence was no surprise to her. We all went into the lounge room where we sat down and coffee and liqueurs were served

Hiram said: “Right, now we're all together, I have a proposal to put to you all. As you know, our theatre company is currently rehearsing Romeo and Juliet, with two of the local actors in the title rôles. However, Harriet and Richard have made a name for themselves playing those parts, and I would love to present them to the New England community. Richard has informed me that he is available just before Harriet finishes her residency, so what I'm proposing, if you all agree, is that we present a special 'gala performance' of 'Romeo and Juliet' with Harriet and Richard in the title rôles.

“It wouldn't be in the East Devon theatre of course, the demand for tickets would be far too high. In fact I'm thinking of presenting it at Tanglewood Estate which isn't too far from here, either in the Seiji Ozawa Hall which holds twelve hundred people, or even the Koussevitzky Music Shed, which seats nearly six thousand. What do you think?”

Richard said: “Well I haven't seen the venues of course, but I'm all for it. What about you Harriet?”

I felt that I had been painted into a corner. It wasn't that I didn't want to do it, I just felt a bit miffed about being effectively ambushed. Perhaps I was still naïve and this was the way business was done. I had no option but to agree, and really I did want to do it, I would just like to have been consulted first. Did Hiram think I would refuse?

“I'd be happy to do it. My agent would have to be notified of course, since it isn't part of my contract,” I said, determined to show them that I wasn't a push-over.

“Naturally,” said Hiram. “And I can assure you, you'll be adequately compensated for the extra work.”

“Regarding the venue, I wonder if the smaller hall might be better,” I said. “I did perform in Singapore in a large stadium where they used video screens because we were so far from some of the audience that they would have found it difficult to see us without a telescope. We also had to use microphones, and to me that takes away from the immediacy of the actor/audience relationship.”

“Hmm. I see what you mean,” said Hiram. “Would you be willing to do a matinée as well if there is an overwhelming demand for tickets?”

“Rather than the large auditorium? Yes I would, but that's just my personal view. There's one other thing,” I said. “I appreciate that the whole point of the exercise is that Richard and I play the title rôles; however, while the rest of the East Devon cast will be needed, it seems unfair that Julie and James won't be required and will have to sit out the performance.”

“I've been thinking about that,” said Hiram. “How about we make them the official understudies for the night and compensate them, Miranda? They could also act as extras in some of the scenes if they want.”

“Julie or James could take on the part of 'Chorus',” I suggested. “It's a very small part, but it would give them the opportunity to have a speaking rôle too. There are Prologues to Acts One and Two, so perhaps they could perform one each?”

“An excellent idea don't you think, Miranda?” said Hiram. I realised he was so keen to have me act with Richard that he would agree to almost anything I said. I decided I had pushed him far enough; anyway, I had achieved what I wanted.

After a final coffee, and as they were leaving Miranda took the opportunity to have a brief word with me: “Well done! You handled Hiram superbly for one so young. Regarding Julie and James, leave it to me to let them know. I'll explain that you and Richard aren't taking over their parts, since without you two there would be no gala performance. I'll also tell them that you went into bat for them and I'll suggest they do the Prologues. It's a rare opportunity to act in front of so many people even if it is only for a few minutes.”

I took her hand: “Thanks Miranda, I really appreciate your support.”

“And I yours,” she replied and kissed me on the cheek.

--ooOoo--

That evening I was in bed running through the script and making some notes, when there was a tap on the door.

“Come in,” I said expecting it to be Magnolia or Blossom and was surprised to see it was Richard.

“Richard!” I hissed. “What are you doing here? If the Thompsons see you my reputation will be shot.”

He grinned: “I paused outside their bedroom doors. There were gentle snores from Magnolia, and Hiram's were rattling the windows, so no problem there.”

I instinctively drew the sheet further up my chest, and Richard's smile broadened: “You have nothing to fear from me, Harriet, I'm no Tarquin. I merely wanted to apologise for being part of the conspiracy that ambushed you. However, I'd like you to know that I had no idea that you were in the dark about the 'gala performance'.”

“I really didn't think you were part of it. Hiram could have told me that was the reason you were visiting here, but it seems he wanted to surprise me and have his little joke. I'm actually quite happy to do it, but on my own terms. I imagine my agent will be twisting his arm for a big bonus since he's so keen.”

“No more than you deserve, my dear.”

“Don't take this the wrong way, but how long are you here for?” I enquired.

“Just two nights. Miranda asked me to come to the theatre tomorrow to meet the cast and I thought that was a good idea.”

I had seen the way Miranda had looked at Richard and thought that she had more than one idea in relation to him. To my annoyance I actually felt a little jealous, despite the fact that as a married woman I was now 'off limits' and intended to remain that way.

“And what about the performance? How many days' rehearsal can you manage?”

“Well the date hasn't been finalised of course, but I would hope to get here about five days beforehand,” he said. “I'm giving myself a much-needed holiday after shooting the film, so I have nothing else booked for a couple of months, although I might be recording a 'talking book'.”

“Oh I've done a few of those, they're great fun,” I replied.

“Yes I know. I saw 'Alice in Wonderland' in a book store and bought it. You sounded great! Not everyone can act when they're talking into a microphone but you did it so well.”

'Dammit, Richard. Why do you make me blush so easily?' I thought, thankful that the light was dim and he probably wouldn't notice. A forlorn hope of course as his chuckle proved.

“Anyway, nice though it is to chat with you, I really must get my beauty sleep, and don't say anything!” I said.

Thank goodness he took the hint. He came over to the bed and kissed me on the cheek and said: “See you in the morning”, and with that he left as silently as he arrived.

--ooOoo--

The following morning we met again at breakfast, and afterwards I drove him down to the theatre. I suggested that we didn't get there too early so that Miranda had time to talk to Julie and James about us taking over their parts at the 'gala performance'. After I received a phone call from her to say that they understood the situation and accepted it, I pulled into the theatre car park and we entered through the stage door.

As you might expect, Richard's arrival resembled that of a rock star, especially for the young women in the cast. It was as if a member of the Beatles or Rolling Stones had suddenly appeared to work with a pub band. His work on screen, both television and cinema, had made him a 'star'. Strangely I didn't feel jealous, even though I realised that I would have to follow the same path if I wanted fame and fortune. In the meantime I was perfectly happy with what I was doing, predominantly working on stage.

After shaking the hand of every cast member and having numerous 'selfies' taken, Miranda took Richard aside and spoke quietly to him. After he nodded, she came over to me.

“I just asked Richard if he'd mind performing the 'Balcony Scene' with you to give our company an idea of the sort of standard they should aspire to. Would you mind?”

I hesitated but then agreed. After all, perhaps it would be a good idea to show the company what I could do to order to persuade them that my ideas were worth following.

Miranda made the announcement to the company: “Ladies and gentlemen, we have a special treat for you; Richard and Harriet have agreed to perform the Balcony Scene just as they will during the gala performance here in America in about six weeks time with you all. They will also be performing a season with the Imperial Shakespeare Company in Shakespeare's home of Stratford-Upon-Avon in England, later in the year."

There was an excited buzz and some applause as the company came down to sit in the stalls and watch us perform. The balcony set had now been constructed so I was able to use it. I walked up the steps at the rear of the set and reaching the top looked out over the auditorium. It was fortunate that the lighting director was present and he was able to set the night-time scene with some blue floodlights covering the whole stage. He was also able to highlight the balcony and the area of the stage below it where Richard would be standing with dimmed white floods to represent moonlight. When he saw us standing in position, he dimmed the auditorium lights. I stood back waiting for Richard to speak his first line: 'He jests at scars that never felt a wound. '

Then I moved forward into view and Richard started his first speech:

'But, soft! What light through yonder window breaks?
It is the east and Juliet is the sun.'

I lost myself in the beauty of the poetry as I always did, and suddenly I was a young girl in Verona, deeply in love. It may sound boastful, but I believe we acted the scene together as well as anyone has, before or since. Occasionally I take out a video recording and look at that younger version of me and it is as though I go back in time watching it. As I do so, I confess, I have been known to shed a tear.

We performed faultlessly if I say so myself and all too soon said our final words and the auditorium lights came up. The company spontaneously applauded us, and when I came down from the balcony, Richard took my hand and kissed it before leading me to the front of the stage to acknowledge them. Then we walked down the steps from the stage to join the rest of the company.

I confess I was feeling rather pleased with myself and it was then that I noticed that Julie was not present. When I asked about her I was told that just after we finished the scene, she got up and left the auditorium. A cold shiver ran down my spine. I quickly approached Miranda, told her I was going to look for Julie and hurried out of the auditorium through the door by which she had left.

To be continued.

Many thanks once again to Louise Ann and Julia Phillips for spotting my 'typos', thus allowing me to correct them before publishing. A special thank-you to Karen Lockhart, a native of New England who has provided me with local knowledge, some great local dinner menus and correct American idioms for this and the following chapters while Harriet visits the United States.

My best wishes to all my kind readers for the Festive Season and your support during the year; a special thank you to those who sent 'kudos' and an extra special thank you to everyone who left a comment, all of them kind, some very informative, and so a great help with my writing.

I may be taking a week off since I'm only one chapter ahead of posting (shameful I know, but sometimes life gets in the way of writing), and I don't want to pressure Julie, Karen and Louise Ann to give up their precious spare time to proofread during this season when they have more important things to do.

A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all.

Bronwen

up
256 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I HATE YOU!!!!!!!

Christina H's picture

You have gone and done it again! But this is even worse; You Lady have left a two week cliff hanger ------- TWO WEEKS!! I know
you are the queen of cliffhangers but give you poor readers a break (and not an arm or leg)

Anyhow I hope you have a great festive season and your weeks break is deserved (said through clenched teeth) I wish you a happy, peaceful and healthy New Year.

Christina

A "nice" surprise...

I’m not so sure about the "nice". Hiram is clearly about pushing his own agenda. I imedddiately felt for Julie and James. Even the 'surprise' performance at the East Devon theatre, I thought might undermine the Julie and Jame's confidence and display their performances as wanting to the rest of the cast.

At least Richard behaved. Photos and news must surely hit the rags. Harriet needs to let Reggie know.

Now I need to waaaaaiit.
Happy holidays!

Yes

I imedddiately felt for Julie and James. Even the 'surprise' performance at the East Devon theatre, I thought might undermine the Julie and Jame's confidence and display their performances as wanting to the rest of the cast.

It does send a "see how shit you are" message, doesn't it?

Richard's Presence

joannebarbarella's picture

I was right that the surprise visitor was Richard. However, I knew that Harriet would be able to resist his charms.

It may adversely affect Julie and disturb the chemistry she has with her Romeo. We shall see in the next episode.

Hiram is more than a little devious but maybe Magnolia will have a little dalliance with Richard.

In somewhat of a reverse to the "rock star" effect I actually saw The Rolling Stones in 1962 at a London club called The Marquee when they were the support group to another more famous (at that time) group called Georgie Fame And The Blue Flames who were the main attraction. I was impressed but never realised that they would go on to become superstars.

Jealousy rears its ugly head.

Julia was already intimidated by Harriet. I hope this doesn't interfere with ability to perform in the future.

Pretty Sure It's Not Jealousy

Julie does feel inferior to Harriet and is likely crushed and feeling very inadequate after watching Harriet's performance. Harriet wants to find her and help her. It's also possible that there are issues in her relationship with James.

Thanks to Bronwen. I've been enjoying this new addition to Harriet's story.

Uh oh

I hope she doesn’t do something drastic

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Us old people need the week off.

Masterfully done, ending with Julie in the wind for 2 WEEKS. The queen of the cliff hangers strikes again !
Of course, I still expect you to review my story.

Karen

Wonderful

Another wonderful chapter in an amazing saga. As one married to a costumer, I have enjoyed the theatrical aspects. The 'future asides' are interesting. The year, for Harriet, must be well in our future, not at the present.
Best wishes for a Merry Christmas.

I had a feeling that might

I had a feeling that might backfire on them and Julie would react like that. she didn't have the greatest confidence in herself to start with.

Surprise not always good

Jamie Lee's picture

Some surprises are nice, even welcomed. But sometimes a surprise has a detrimental effect, angering the recipient.

Hiram's Richard surprise could have backfired had Richard and Harriet had serious issues. His surprise could have also backfired had Harriet refused to give a performance with Richard. But that isn't Harriet's nature; maybe her agent will make Hiram pay for his actions.

Julie needs to be found, sat down and find out her problem. Julie is comparing her performance with an actress whose performed longer and with several different directors and actors. An actress who has also performed several of Shakespeare's plays.

There is no way Julie can be of the same caliber as Harriet, an experienced actress. This fact needs to be pounded into Julie's head, or Julie needs to stop acting if she can't understand it.

If Julie continues acting she needs to understand that every performance she gives will be compared to a performance given by another, whether she likes it or not. It's a down side of acting.

Others have feelings too.