Forgotten: Chapter 01

Printer-friendly version

When I woke up in the field, all I knew of myself was that I was a girl and my hair had a pinkish tint to it. That was it. I awoke from what seemed a veil of nothingness, and when I was fully aware, I realized I had no idea who I was. I didn’t know my name, my age, or who my family was, if I even had family. Nothing. My mind was blank, well, mostly blank. I still seemed to remember things that one would learn in school. I thought of George Washington and how he was the first president, commander-in-chief of the Continental Army, basically everything about the guy. But I still didn’t know shit about myself.

Sitting up, I looked around only to come face to face with a rather curious horse. The horse scared me for a few moments, as I hadn’t noticed it when I woke up. But there it was, staring at me. A bit creepy. However, when I reached up to pet it on the nose, it turned away from me and ran. In only about three or four seconds, it went from being curious about me to being deeply afraid of me. Strange, but when I slowly got to my feet, I quickly noticed that around the spot that I had woken up in was a circle of death. The grass was brown and crumbling. But what really gave it away was that there were four dead cows lying next to me.

Looking around what appeared to be a farm, I could make out a house and a barn in the distance, but as to where I was, I had no idea. I couldn’t remember anything, but even if I did, it still wouldn’t help me. But as I stood there, I slowly came to the realization of just how terrified I was. I had no idea who I was or where I was, and that was deeply unsettling. It was also at that point that I realized that I was not naked. I had on some sort of body suit, with pockets to my amazement, that hugged my body in a somewhat uncomfortable way. But it was creepy because I had no idea why I would be wearing this body suit because I remembered nothing.

It was at this point that I should've realized that both my appearance and the four dead cows would have attracted some sort of attention and sure enough, three men came running up the hill. Another thing I should've realized was that the hill that I was on had a clear view of everything, but the drawback was that everybody could see me. These three men all looked to be farmers, one old man, with a gun, a middle aged man, with a gun, and a younger man, almost teenage looking, with a gun. They all had guns. Big, scary looking guns.

“What in tarnation did you do to my cattle!” the older man with a gun demanded. Like I was in a position to give him answer. So I didn’t. But the older man quickly grew very impatient. Once again, he demanded an answer, pointing his gun at me, his language not as nice as the first time, although I highly doubted he was trying to be nice the first time around. Although I raised my arms in an attempt to protect myself, I did not give him an answer. I was scared, yes, but mostly because I had no idea.

“Cool it, Dad,” the middle aged man used his hand to lower the older man’s gun. “You’re scaring her.” The man looked at me, studying me, which made me feel a bit uncomfortable.

“So? She killed my cattle. My cattle. Not yours, not my grandson’s, not anybody’s. My cattle. And they were my prized cattle, my best breeders,” the older man informed his son and grandson, and by the looks on their faces, it seems like this wasn’t the first time he’d reminded them. The middle aged man walked over one of the cows, which happened to be the one closest to me. I quickly backed away from him.

“This cow doesn’t have any cut marks, so it didn’t bleed out. It doesn’t have any burn marks, so it wasn’t hit by lightning, and there is no signs of any viral cause to its death.” The man glanced at all the other cows. “It's the same with all the other cows. If you ask me, the only way that these cows could have died was they were all choked to death.” All three looked at me. “Which means this girl couldn’t have done it.”

“What makes you so sure?”

“Dad, do you even know how much it takes to strangle a freakin’ cow, let alone four of them? Look at her. She’s tiny. I bet she is only thirteen years old.”

“And very cute,” the kid chimed in. The kid’s dad flashed him a look.

The old man narrowed his eyes. “Looks can be deceiving. This girl is dangerous. I know it. I can feel it.” Both the old man’s son and grandson gave him a you are completely insane look. “What?” the old man inquired. “Doesn’t matter. I’m calling the police.” That was enough to send me into a panic, but I didn’t remember why that would cause me to panic.

“Why?” the grandson asked, “Dad said that is was nearly impossible for this girl to kill your cows. She’s harmless.”

“Harmless? Pfft… I believe she is far from harmless. Besides, she is trespassing and if the age guess is right, there is no reason for her to be on this farm in the first place.” The old man glared at me. “Unless she is a drug addict. Perhaps that’s the reason for her being on this farm.” The old man handed his gun to his grandson, then approached me. “Come on. Let’s go have a talk with the police. Maybe you can tell them why you were really here on my farm.” When he reached to grab my arm, I swatted it away. It wasn’t much a swat because I didn’t have much strength in my arm, but I wasn’t about going to let him touch me. His face twisted. “Why you little twerp!”

When he reached for me again, I bolted. I wasn’t very strong, but I quickly found out that I was a very fast runner. The old man stumbled for moment, then gave chase. He may have been old, but he was also fast. Faster than me, and he caught up to me in a matter of seconds. When he went to do a bear hug to catch me, I turned 90 degrees without slowing down and kept on trucking. I felt like a bunny rabbit. Wild and fast.

The sudden turn jarred the old man and he fell face first into a pile of cow dung. “You fucking twerp!” he yelled at me. I laughed at that, but the old man’s son and grandson were not pleased at that. The grandson even aimed his gun at me. With an eep, I dove under the fence as fast I could and tried to disappear into the woods, with them right on my trail. I knew that I wouldn’t be able to outrun them and quick maneuvering doesn’t work so well in the woods, as I found out when I tried to turn and slid right into a tree. “Ouch,” I yelled, drawing the attention of my three pursuers. Great, the first word I say since I woke up other than a laugh is a response to my cockiness, and as a bonus, drew attention that I seriously didn’t want. So I had to hide. I dropped to the forest floor and covered myself with leaves. Being small allowed me to hide with very little, so I hoped that I would blend in and not be seen.

Sure enough, when the three caught up to where I hit the tree, they took no notice of where I was hiding. “Where did that fucking twerp go?” the old man demanded. I couldn’t really see his face, but I was sure it was twisted in rage. I would be too if I was chasing someone who was responsible for me landing in cow dung. “Calm down, Dad,” I heard the old man’s son say to him.

“Calm down? CALM DOWN? I am not going to fucking calm down. That little twerp needs to be taught a lesson. You don’t trespass on my farm, you don’t kill my cattle, and you especially don’t cause me to land in cow shit!” The old man sounded like he was steaming.

“Again, calm down. Now, we can’t chase the girl in these woods, especially with the snowstorm approaching. We get lost in that and we are all screwed. Let’s go back to the house and call the police. Let them find the girl with one of their K9s.” The old man didn’t voice a response, and I couldn’t see his face to know whether or not he agreed, but with the resumption of the sound of their footsteps, this time heading away from me, I could only assume that he did in fact agree to his son’s suggestion.

When I was sure they were back on the field and started down the hill, I shook myself free from all the leaves, stood, and started walking in the opposite direction. “Stupid…. Un… um… me. Why did I run?” I asked myself as I was walking. It was a really good question. Why the fuck did I run from them? While they had guns and seemed off, I suspected I ran because of something that I couldn’t remember. But thinking about them reminded me of something. Something that the grandfather’s son had said to him. He talked about a snowstorm. Snowstorms mostly took place in winter. I looked up at the trees. The trees… that had absolutely no leaves on them.

I don’t know how long I stared at the leafless branches before I finally decided to accept what I had learned. I didn’t remember what the season it was. I didn’t remember what day or month it was. I didn’t even fucking remember what year it. I’m so fucking screwed.

Another thing I should've remembered was to also take notice where I was stepping, although this was a result of my inability to pay attention because I tripped over a root and fell down a bank… right into a creek. A frozen creek. When I hit the ice covering the creek, I learned three things: One, it was really cold; two, I’m clumsy; and three, I’m light enough to not break the ice. But I did manag to knock myself out for a few minutes. When I came too, my memory problem was still with me and it had started to snow.

“The crazy man’s son was right, I can’t be out here. I need to find help.” I scrambled off the ice before it could change its mind and break. Following the creek was any good idea as ever. At some point I would hit a road. From that road, I could find help. Hopefully though, I could avoid the crazy old man. Anyways, the walking gave me a chance to think over what I remembered again and yet again, it was depressing as fuck. I had no idea who I was, where I was, or when I was. Perhaps the old man was right, I was a drug addict. Wait, do I even remember what a drug addict is? This whole losing memory thing sucked. But I did know enough to look for needle marks on the arm.

The creek came out of the woods and turned right, and I followed. And as I followed, I rolled up my sleeves to check for needle marks. What I found was not needle marks, but something deeply troubling. My arms were full of scratch marks and scars. Bruises on my wrists, indicating I had been tied up, my hands bloodied and bruised as well. I reached up and felt my neck underneath the color of my body suit, feeling the soreness of a bruise, most likely from me being tied down. This meant only thing. Wherever I was before I ended up on that hill was some place good people never in their lifetimes venture into.

As I continued to study my arms, I walked into something. Yet again I had failed to pay attention because the creek was no longer beside me and the thing that I had walked into was a car. A police car. “Police car?” Then it dawned me, “Police car!.” Stepping back, I looked to find four police officers looking right at me. To my shock, I also found the old man, the middle aged man, and the teenager also looking me. I had walked right up into the front yard of the farmhouse. Fuck, I walked right into the lion's den. Before anybody could notice, I rolled my sleeves back down, but I bet the officers had already taken notice.

“That’s her, officers. That’s the fucking twerp!” the crazy old man yelled. The officers looked at each other, who already seemed to be informed of the events that had transpired a few minutes ago. The looks on all their faces confirmed that they shared the son’s opinion that I was too small to strangle cows. Still, they had to be sure of everything.

“Young lady, what is your name?” one of officers asked me.

“I… don’t… know,” I stammered. The officers looked at each other again, finding my answer strange.

“Bullshit,” the crazy old man declared. “Of course she knows. She is just lying to protect her ass.”

“Cool it, Frank,” one of the officers told the old man. So, the old man’s name was Frank? Cool, but I didn’t seem to care. The officers approached me slowly. “Why don’t you come with us so we can help you.” The officers got within a few feet of me and for the second time today, for reasons unknown, I bolted, diving underneath the legs of one of the officers and away from the crazy old man. I proved to be far more agile than everybody else and was able to quickly get away. One of the officers attempted to tase me. The bastard actually managed to hit my arm with the taser, and while I felt a current, it had no physical effect on me and I was able to pull at it, snapping the wires.

The police were stunned at what just happened. No, wait, everybody, even the old man was stunned at my victory over the taser. Hell, even I was surprised. I still knew enough to know what happens to the body when it suffers the effects of a taser, but strangely, it had no effect on me. Still, regardless, I wasn’t about to wait around here. I ran as fast as I could, up onto their porch and through the door. Literally, I ran through the door. I actually shattered it. At my size, I should have bounced right off the door. Yet one moment I was outside the house, then in between, then finally inside.

It was the result of panic and fear that I ran into the house because it was a really stupid decision to do so. I ran into the house of the crazy old man. Not a very smart move on my part. Still, I was inside, so I had to decide my next move, as it wouldn’t be but a few moments before the police caught up to me. I could have decided to run out the back door or jump out a window, but no, being an idiot and having a fear induced panic, I hid underneath a kitchen table. Seconds after I did, a face popped up from the couch in the living room, which was directly across from the kitchen.

“Hello!” a little girl said. I freaked and headed for the back door. The snow had picked up, and the second I hit the porch I slipped and fell butt first onto the porch. My hips hurt, my legs hurt, just about everything in my body hurt. You ran through a door, dummy. That’s why you’re hurting, I thought to myself.

“There she is!” I looked to my right, seeing Frank just a few feet away from me. Scrambling to my feet, falling over a couple of times, I tried to run away, but I was caught by the teenager. He looked at me, smiled, and then proceeded to pick me up and body slam me into the ground. The jar of the impact stunned me enough that I couldn’t move a muscle. I was caught. All the police officers, Frank, and Frank’s son surrounded me to prevent me from bolting again. Didn’t matter, I was going nowhere after what the teenager did to me. Frank leaned down, putting his face inches away from mine. “Twerp, you are so much fucking trouble!” I could do nothing but stare at those twisted eyes.

up
250 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I think Frank needs some

I think Frank needs some serious mental health treatment for anger management issues.

or survived the cow killer

I wonder if it isn't actually that she survived whatever it was that killed the cows and that's the reason for the amnesia.

She is...

...of course the bull that came to protect his herd, transformed!
:)

Intelligence = shoe size

Jamie Lee's picture

Frank is the epitome of stupidity, his shoe size his intelligent quotient. He jumps to a conclusion before he has any facts. How did his cows die? Did he see the dark spot on the ground where the girl found herself? Nope! He went off more than half cocked and proved to anyone who ever doubted that he was intelligent, that he isn't.

Who is this girl? How did she get where she found herself? How did she get the scars? And why can't she remember the most basic things about herself? And how did she have the strength to run right through the front door of old man Frank's house?

Others have feelings too.

GREAT!!

To find a new story (to me) of your's I've yet to read!!

alissa