Jack and Jill by Trudy - 13 - The Twins

Printer-friendly version


Jack and Jill, by Trudy
13 - The Twins



By Jessica C



Melvin thought it was weird to be Jill for Halloween...
But his friend Trudy liked it and that made it okay...
A dare to act as a pregnant girl was credited to Mel,
Acting as that pregnant student is Melanie’s roll into February…

=^..^=

Melanie, next day at school, attracted many onlookers and many questions. The maternity clothes she had also looked modestly inadequate, which means the need to go shopping. But shopping for maternity clothes doesn’t excite one as much as girls regular power shopping. Several of Ron’s large shirts were given thus over by Marti for Melanie to use. Several pictures were taken to be sent to Ron overseas.

News that Melanie is now expecting at least twins drew the giggles for many girls and ribbing from the guys at school. By Wednesday there were three guys Melanie sees that are sporting shirts, “I’m not the Dad”. Melanie’s home from school and Sherry sits next to Melanie; “Untie Melwanie, yuu owkaay?” Sherry’s standing on the sofa next to her leaning with a hug, brushing Auntie’s hair with her hand. It’s enough to bring Melanie’s defenses down and tears gushing forth into her hands.


=^_^=~


“Mummy, Unntie Melwannie’s kwing! Mummy!! Mummy hurwie!” Melanie tries to recover but her plea to Sherry that she’s alright doesn’t sooth anyone as both are now crying. “O no,” Marti’s quick to come, “Are you bleeding already?”

Melanie looks up with mascara painted raccoon eyes. “No, it was just a terrible day at school. Nothing mean, it’s just everyone thinks everything is funny… Boys have shirts saying, ‘I’m not Daddy’ and girls treating me like I’m having a good time. One group got on my case, teasing that I should have had better protection. Penny kept asking who I’d like to be the father of my twins.” I caught my breath, “Mom… I mean Marti. They caught me looking around like I was thinking who the father should be?”

“So were you actually thinking who you’d want as the father?” Marti pauses, “Were you thinking just about a father or a father and husband?” Aunt Marti apologizes and is worries about me when I begin to cry big time.

“I’m okay Aunt Marti, I’m sorry. It’s nothing, but for some reason I cried and when little Sherry cares and hugs me, I just cried more. I don’t like emotions especially when I don’t know where they come from for no reason.”

“Well to those girls and me, you are kinda one of us.” Aunt Marti dares to hug and console her niece despite the risk of the mascara staining her clothes. “O Melanie, you got it bad. You’ll see more of my emotions like this when I’m closer to our due dates.” Melanie looks up and Marti begins to talk about the emotions that often swing more as she gets close to having a baby.

Marti also asked, “Has there been any classmates who became pregnant earlier as you were going through junior high or high school?” When Mel mentioned a girl in eighth grade and another two years ago. She said, “They may have been referring to a question they had then that was never asked or answered.”

Aunt Marti tells me about a time, “Once when I was carrying a vase of flowers that came before Sherry was born, and I turned and dropped them. I began to cry so loud that Ronnie came running to see how badly I was hurt. He began to laugh, ‘O’ its only flowers.’ I cried louder as I drew some of the flowers to me saying, ‘My baby’.”

“Melanie, I wouldn’t let him hug me the rest of the day,” she says smiling.

Marti suggests I take a shower or warm bath, but she doesn’t allow me to take off the baby bump. Since I choose a warm bath she allows me to bathe Suzi. Aunt Marti shampoos and conditions my hair as it is especially hard for me to do. I should have taken a shower for that, but Marti is happy to help me.


=^_^=~


School ends a little early on Friday for the Christmas break and I’m getting ready for my date with Trudy. That’s when I discover a red spot on my panties. My plan is not to tell Aunt Marti until Saturday morning, but Melanie isn’t as good of a liar as Melvin.

“What aren’t you telling me Melanie,” Marti asks? I didn’t answer and I don’t dare look her in the eyes. “Melanie if you don’t tell me, I will keep you home from your date with us. Now tell me what’s going on?” It’s nearly 5:00 p.m. when Marti forces the truth out of me. Come 6:00 I’m sitting on a wheel chair registering to be seen in the Emergency Room.

When Dr. Kylie comes into the room I tell her, “It’s your fault you’re not home with your family.”

Dr. Kylie smiles, “You are alright, but your pregnancy might end prematurely. Symptoms like this often are a warning sign to a real girl or woman that she and/or her twins could be in major trouble. Luckily with Pre-natal Intensive Care Units close for many Moms, most cases will be stabilized and kept safe until the babies can be born with their best chance of a healthy survival.”

“Woe, is that what happened last year when Amy Hart stayed in the hospital all those weeks before her babies were born?” Dr. Kylie looks away and tries to tell me, “I guess I don’t know what happened to your classmate last year?”

I said, “Yes you do, it’s just that confidentiality stuff, I understand. But I don’t want such an ugly way of getting out of this pregnancy thing.”

Dr. Kylie tells me, “Well then, you are going to miss Christmas at home and you’ll will be here in the hospital.”

“Isn’t one of those Pre-Natal ICU things awfully expensive for pretending?”

“Yes, but we have enough beds free on the OB/GYN floor, plus the hospital hopes your report will be worth the use.”

I kinda regret my decision, as Dr. Kylie’s exam and the attention are quite embarrassing and gross as well. The hospital gowns are bad enough for a regular person. I’m waiting until Mom or Aunt Marti can bring a nightgown or pajamas. By the time I’m settled in my hospital room, Trudy my date finds me. Having a sheet over me with a nurse checking every fifteen to thirty minutes is not my idea of the romantic night I was hoping for.

Melanie is upset that they’re putting her through this, but Trudy tells her, “It’s to give you an easy out, as well as telling you things aren’t always so sweet and easy as a boy might think, that things aren’t as easy for a girl as a boy thinks.” We exchange a big warm hug and a number of kisses from Trudy that almost makes everything worth it. She says you should think about it with your heart attached.


=^_^=~


That evening I’m awaken at 1:00 a.m. by Nurse Kathy telling me I am alright for now. I’m exhausted and my gown is wet from perspiring. I hear a girl’s cry as I awoke. “Why was that girl crying?” Nurse Kathy’s a cute nurse thirty something, “Melanie, I think the girl you heard was you; can you remember anything?”

“I know it’s pretend, but if I tell you that my babies are important will you think I’m crazy or some kind of dumb boy?” Her quick warm smile already begins to help me relax.

“Not at all, while we weren’t sure how you might react, those who already knew you, say you’re a very sensitive boy. This is one of a few possibilities Dr. Kylie thought were possible and positive.” She tells me, “I just went off the clock, if you don’t mind I’ll stay for awhile.”

Melanie says, “I can’t ask you to do that.”

“Just close your eyes and see if you’re comfortable enough to sleep.” I close my eyes and I an feel her holding my hand. I smile, “You know, I appreciate you being here.”

I open my eyes to look at her hands. Seeing a wedding ring I ask, “So you must have young children like my Aunt Marti?”

“Close but not yet, I’m three months pregnant with my first. I do have three nieces and a nephew. I’ve been pleasantly jealous of you women coming here and birthing your babies. I will still be here when Marti and you come to give birth to your babies.”

“Well Marti’s will be exciting and wonderful; mind will just be pretend. Do you hope to have a boy or girl most?”

“Well, first I’m praying you will have dreams of having your babies and that it will be something you never forget. As far as I’m concerned, I’d love both. I would prefer a girl because I know Dave won’t stop until he gets a boy or two. I know he’ll be a great Dad for his sons. But I think a little girl will be able to charm us both.” We make a lot of small talk as I eventually drift off to sleep.

I’m awakened at 6:30 in the morning and Kathy’s gone. Another nurse tells me, “Kathy’s giving your morning report and then finally going home.” I begin to tear, “And why do you want to cry,” she asks?”

“I’m just moved that she stayed with me, I thought that was very nice of her.”

“Well you so called sweet boys usually knock up a girl and then don’t show up until the girl goes through all the hard stuff. You gloat over the baby and make promises you won’t keep if you show up at all.” Woe, she’s cynical; I wonder if I could be like that.

It is 7:15 and Kathy pokes her head into the room. “I just want to say good-bye. So how did you sleep?”

“I had one of your dreams and they’re both girls. The first one was the most painful.” Kathy asks if I nursed my babies. Without thinking I say, “I hope I have a dream like that too.”

“Nurse Thatcher responds as she’s checking me, “O gosh, you are bitten with sweetness aren’t you. Well young girl you’ve continued to drip some, so if you want to birth your twins, you will have to earn it.”

Jennifer says, “You needn’t scare her. Melanie, she is correct. If this were Marti it would be hard enough and nerve racking. A first time mother especially someone your age it would be even more so. Your patience and stamina probably would be pressed beyond your limit.” Kathy smiles and pat my hands, “What Dr. Kylie has in store for you will be manageable if you look on the bright side. You can demand to go home and the doctor will take it real easy on you.”

Mom’s coming into the room with Marti and asks, “What’s the bright side?”

Melanie and Nurse Kathy respond simultaneously, “Two daughters.” My mother smiles and looks at me with joy, “What about two daughters?”

I feel a little embarrassed, “I dreamt about giving birth to two daughters. But what can I say that’s what I dreamt.” Mom leans over to give me a kiss and her hand is on my baby bump like she expects to feel the babies. I’m not the only one into what is happening.

Mom and Aunt Marti each have an early Christmas gift. Mom’s is a Pink nightgown with a pretty robe. I giggle when I open and see one of Uncle Ronnie’s football jerseys. He was a 240 pound linebacker in college. He’s now a trim 6’ 3”, 220 pound naval officer in the gulf overseas. Luckily the Jersey has shrunk over six years and is actually snug around my bump.

I wear the nightgown and robe for the first of three walks today. I walk to the end of the hall, past the nursery and turn around. A Candy Stripper is helping and tells me over and over to slow down. On the way back we look into the nursery and count seven babies in their basinets. Once I’m back in and lying down a nurse comes and checks me thoroughly, O’ how embarrassing. She changes a pad and I see some spots, she says I need to be very careful.

Trudy shows up at the hospital and I ask, “I thought you’re scheduled to work.”

“I told them I needed the day off to see you and threatened to call the owner’s wife, Mrs. Kendral.” She smiles, “Ms Kendral asked me to find out if it’s alright that she visits?”

“Did you tell her that is silly?” Trudy quickly, “You can tell her if you want and don’t want a job this spring.”

I got male doctor whose one of Dr. Kylie’s partners; it is especially embarrassing to have Dr. Sam Johnson doing a check-up. And no, Sam is not short here for Samantha. “I’m sorry,” he says as he smirks, “but I’ve never seen a boy in this position before.” Dah, if he thought humor would break the tension he was wrong. The best thing he did was leave the room.

Mom took the opportunity to inform me my brother would soon be home from Europe that his semester of study there is over. I know he is not happy with what I’m doing, so I don’t look forward to his coming home. “That makes staying in the hospital look better. Mom, don’t force him to visit me.”

My phone rings and it is Dr. Kylie and she talks first to my Mom and Aunt. Mom tells me, “Dr. Kylie wants you to stay in the hospital until you go back to school, is that okay with you? She says, really you would have been staying until the babies are born. However, she doesn’t want you to be missing high school.”


=^_^=~


I agree to stay; the days up to Christmas pass slowly as I am limited to bed or sitting with my feet dangling. I get to wall the corridor once in the morning and then before or after my evening meal. I pass time going through times of shopping via the internet and maternity publications for what I’d need for the babies when I took them home. “Yipes,” I ask, “How would a single mother handle all of this?” One day a social worker visits and one of the thoughts share is allowing the girls to be adopted. My parents say they would consider raising the girls if they were Sara’s. Aunt Marti says one maybe, but two would be impossible.

Mrs. Hannah Kendral visits the day after Christmas and she brings me a gift. “I compliment you on all you’re putting up with. I’d have no question that a girl could do it. And it would be hard enough on her.” I am surprised how easily we visit and I’m doing so all as Melanie.

“Melanie, I hope you won’t take this as an insult, but I think you’ve become more of a real girl.” There’s a knock on the door and though I can’t see anyone I tell them, “Come in please.” It is Carol the reporter who helped start all of this. Her presence doesn’t please me.

“Well are you surprised to see me?”

“Surprised and disappointed,” is my response.

Hannah comes and stands next to me, “If you are the reporter who did Melvin’s first article; I hope you will be more careful to get things right this time.”

Carol takes a half step back but one can see her setting herself. “Well, even the School Board and the public found in favor of my article.”

Hannah surprises me, “I’ve done better homework and even your fellow reporters have shared what you’d be willing to do for a story. Either you can do all of us favor and either write something good or I’d suggest nothing at all.”

“Are you suggesting I not be truthful?”

Hannah smiles, “Just the opposite. Melanie is now known and a truthful human interest story is all there is. She could… he could even help you to write a good article on others caring about teen mothers and problem pregnancies.”

Carol asks me if I would help her. “I would tell you I haven’t enough experience but I don’t want to be misquoted.”

Carol smiles, “Can I sit and visit a little if I promise to be good?” I knew Hannah was ready to leave so I’m happy to see her sit down again. The visit goes well and Carol takes one picture from the side, another kind of behind me standing and looking into the nursery. Hannah has even brushed out my hair.

Marti and Sherry visit with special permission from Dr. Kylie. That allows Sherry onto the floor to visit.

With two days of not bleeding, Dr. Kylie is considering to discharge me during the weekend. Dr. Kylie says, “If you started bleeding again you’d need to come back and stay in the hospital.” I knew she had taken the tube through which the blood substance went through. So I’m pretty sure I’m safe.


=^_^=~


Sandy, Deb and Sharon are over with Sara on New Year’s Eve day. They all chip in to give me a makeover at home. Deb who has an older sister even gives me a back and shoulders massage. Nurse Kathy had spoiled me with them during my hospital stay. Sandy remarks, “Melanie you don’t really need much makeup, your complexion is glowing.” Sharon giggles, “I remember when my mom was pregnant with my youngest sister. She looked radiant most of the time, maybe pregnancy agrees with Melanie. I don’t think I would fare as well if I were in her shoes.”

Deb giggles, “She’s in our shoes.” Everyone including me giggle loud enough to attract Marti. She giggles as well when told what we’re laughing at. Marti present gets me thinking that Marti should be the one enjoying a makeover. I get Suzi up from her nap and change her and begin feeding her. She’s now eating more along with having a small bottle.

The other girls have begun the Makeover, and are surprised when I start giving Aunt Marti a massage. Marti chuckles lightly, “She’s the only grown up girl I usually get around here especially at night.”

Sharon asks, “Doesn’t that upset or embarrass you to have Mel help you?”

Aunt Marti smiles, “You girls have for over two weeks been treating her 100% as a girl. She’s been one of my best friends since she was ten. I’m more comfortable with her doing some things as my niece than I would be if Ronnie were home. She’s been a little godsend.”

Sandy asks, “Do you think like some people that God wouldn’t approve what Mel’s doing?”

“I have no problem with God; we’re doing everything in the light. Melanie probably even has a greater ability to love and accept people now. I’m also sure Mel is more churchy than I am” Marti looks at all the girls as individuals, “You’ve helped the past two months, do you think taking Melanie into the girl’s room or talking to her as another girl made you more sinful?” They looked back at each other, no one thought of that.


=^_^=~


When school starts back, our classmates and others in the school are surprised and have a load of fun with the size of the baby bump I am now carrying. Luckily it isn’t until that Sunday the newspaper article comes out about the pregnant boy. The story of young mothers and struggles of those with problem pregnancies is well done. It over shadows the story concerning me.

I had hoped that the baby bump and all my experiences are over, save announcing the two births. But the third week of January my baby bump increases in size and my discomfort becomes even worse. Allyson and Sarai are due to be born the last week of January, with Aunt Marti officially due February 16. Allyson is a variation of my mother’s name and Sari is a variation on my sister’s name.

I am glad I am not having a boy as my brother’s attitude has me angry right now. Aunt Marti confirms for me that male stupidity and sense of humor has a way of getting to a pregnant woman as she gets closer to delivery date.

Memorable dreams are now nightly. Some are about being pregnant or the birth of a child, and of regular life, but they’re all about Melanie.

I’m attending all of Aunt Marti’s Lamaze classes, which have been a blessing. It is one time a week I don’t need to act like I’m having a troubled pregnancy. Watching Marti and my getting up off the floor is a source of amusement for the others taking the class. It also makes for a funny dream with Dr. Kylie having me crawl to the delivery room, saying, “You need to get up on the delivery table; I am not going to deliver the twins while you’re on the floor?”

One of the joys is Trudy continues to grow more precious to me. She and I practice the Lamaze procedures every week on our own. She comes over to help me study and for a movie dates at home. Sherry now takes to giggling because of my size and whenever Trudy tries to kiss me. Trudy is usually trying to be fresh with me but luckily Sherry does not understand that.


=^_^=~


It’s January 27th, when Marti falls with a package and Mom and Dad take her to the hospital to be checked out as she was hurting. Marti needs to stay overnight; my Mother and Grandmother stay there late at the hospital with her, while I’m given charge of both nieces for the night. It is pretty certain Aunt Marti is alright and the stay is a precautionary formality.

I haven’t told anyone, but my stay in the hospital and now Marti’s fall and the concern for her pregnancy weigh upon me as Melanie. I have grown attached to the idea of giving birth to healthy babies. Part of me mentally knows I am not really pregnant, but wanting to be a real girl, I feel a need to prove myself to others.


=^_^=~


The growing anthem at school by teachers and staff is that I am taking this too seriously about being a girl. Sandy’s house is one of my refuges away from my homes. Sandy’s boyfriend has become very supportive of me as well as Sandy’s time with me. Once I ask if he thought I’m becoming too much of a girl, his reply surprises me, “So what, if Melvin becomes Melanie you might be as well off or better. I don’t remember when I last noticed you before this. You have gained the respect of all who matter, don’t sweat about others.”

Tom is two years older than Sandy or me, but he and I had known each other since we were in grade school and our neighborhood. His young brother is our age and we played together at times. When we were alone once I dared ask, “Tom you are serious about me being a girl?”

Tom has Sandy and me sit down, “Melanie, can you tell me that you wouldn’t rather be a girl?” Sandy tears as I say, “Well of course Melanie would want to be a girl she is one.” Tom knelt before me and presses my hand, “Mel, there is only one person in you; I’m not saying you’re not a boy or a girl. Even when you were growing up; I didn’t think much about it then but you played more with the neighbor girl. You even dressed in her mother’s clothes to play house.”

I had forgotten that but then again I had been sure no one ever saw me do it. I cried and mess up my makeup, but I also refreshed my makeup before going home that night.

It’s Thursday night at 10:00 that Marti gets a call and I am to go into the hospital to have my babies. It’s a slow night at the hospital and both Dr. Kylie and Nurse Kathy are on duty to deliver my babies. I thought it would be a simple thing of me going in a room and maybe having to stay overnight and coming home with two dolls or a certificate. Mom, Dad, Sara, as well as Aunt Marti, one grandma and Trudy are soon there. Now I’m thinking things will be that simple…

Story to be continued…

up
93 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I do hope that Melanie does

I do hope that Melanie does not wind up with "complications" at the birth that causes her to "lose the babies". I'm wondering if Marti is or has gone into labor herself, so Melanie has to also do the same?
This is a fascinating story and the premise within it is one that I feel would be an excellent teaching method to both girls AND boys about REAL life and how it can impact both lives in a way not wanted until much later in life.

Nurse with a wrong attitude

Jamie Lee's picture

Melanie trying not to tell about the spotting until Saturday, the day after her date with Trudy, didn't work as she thought. Marti has an uncanny ability to read Melanie, likely because they are very close.

Melanie still keeps to much in her head, but has gotten better in some ways with sharing what she thinking. This habit is likely of Melvin's past at being ignored the majority of the time. Or because of the misconception that guys shouldn't share their feelings.

While Melanie isn't going to actually deliver, going through many of the physical experiences seems to have actually affected her. Mainly in her dreams. Melanie thinks she will just go through the motions of delivering but it's likely Dr. Kylie might have a way to induce the pain associated with the delivery. That will be a real eye opener for Melanie.

That nurse who read Melanie the riot act about something she apparently has experienced was way off base. Her personal opinions have no place in a hospital where she is supposed to be caring for patients. Melanie is a seventeen-year-old who has never made any promise to be there for any pregnant girl. She has stay with her Aunt and has been there every she was needed by her Aunt.

Others have feelings too.