Because I care: part 1

Printer-friendly version

It’s been some time since I’ve come back to my home city in Pennsylvania. It’s been a decade since I last saw the sign ‘Hattiesburg’. The weather is still the same New England winter. Cold and wet as it was an hour away from Lake Erie, one of the great lakes.

I drive through the city. A lot has changed and a lot hasn’t changed. The stores mostly haven’t changed. The schools have changed a lot as they have expanded them. I grimace as I remember the bullying I endured during my school days.

“BEEP!” barks the car behind me. I snap out of my daze and start going the speed limit. I take a left into my old house’s driveway. The place hasn’t changed at all since I left it a decade ago. Shutting off the car and walking to the house, my mom came out giving me a bright smile.

“Hi, Brent!” Giving me a hug.

“Hi, mom” I hug her back.

“Come on inside. I’ll make you some tea.” She walks towards the door gesturing me to follow her

“Ok mom,” I follow her indoors, taking off my shoes, and plopping on the couch. I turn on the television and stared blankly at it as I waited for mom to set up the tea. A minute later, she walks into the living room and sits in a chair beside the couch.

“So, how are you?” Mom initiates the small talk.

“I’m going pretty good actually. I’ve become a multimillionaire since the last time you saw me.”

Mom's eyes went wide, “Really? That’s wonderful, Brent! How much money do you have?”

“Mom, I can’t tell you that as that would end badly for me and you. I’ll just tell you I have close to ten digits and I’m expecting to hit ten by the time I turn forty.”

“That’s incredible! How did you earn it?”

“Well, first I somehow won the lottery and then started using the money for investments in real estate, stock, etc. A bunch of Venture Capitalism. I’ve had a lot of luck with that.”

“Then why did you come back here instead of buying a mansion or something?”

“Because I was getting bored with making money. It’s cool and everything. Having a lot of money, but I had no one to share it with. That’s why I came back home. I’m hoping to settle down here.”

“Why here? I mean, the last time you came here. You weren’t exactly on good terms with anyone. Hell, if I was you, I would’ve never come back after what happened.”

“Well, even if I was bullied and dad was murdered. I didn’t hate this place. I just needed time.”

“I understand.”

The teapot squeals letting us know tea was ready. Mom left to get it. I get up and walk out the front door. I inhaled the New England winter air as I heard a boy scream, “FAGGOT!” I whip my head to the right to find five boys surrounding a small kid.

I walk swiftly towards them as I shout, “STOP! What you’re doing right now.”

The boys didn’t even hesitate as they disperse. The petite kid didn’t look too beat up, but from how dirty he is, I couldn’t tell. His clothes are ragged and have unmanaged, dirty, long chestnut hair that hid the majority of his face except for his left eye.

“Are you ok?” I ask him as I take a step forward. In response, he crawls back with a frightened look on his face. I crouch to make myself less threatening. “I’m not here to hurt you. I just want to help.” I hold my hand out, gesturing for him to grab it.

“GET OFF MY LAWN YOU FILTHY RAT!” An old man shrieks as he hobbles with a cane in his hand. I turn to him and then back to the kid. The kid was gone.

“Well, that was interesting. I wonder who was that kid.” I muse to myself walking back to the house. Mom was standing in the front door with both our cups of tea. She hands me one as we walk back into living room. “Thanks, mom.”

“You’re welcome, sweetie.”

“Who was that kid?”

“Which one?”

“The petite boy.”

“Oh him, I don’t know much more than that he’s homeless, but anyone can guess that just by looking at him.”

A kid all by himself? Isn’t that illegal? Why hasn’t anyone helped him yet? Is he invisible or something? I mean, I turn my head away from him for a second and he disappears. I let my thoughts drift about the kid as mom and I sat there in silence.

“Brent?” Mom calls snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Yeah?”

“You ok?”

“Yeah, I’m just thinking.”

“Alright, I need to do my evening workouts. You should unpack your stuff. You’ll find that your bed is the way it was when you left it.”

“Thanks, mom.”

“You’re welcome, sweetie.” I turn to go upstairs to be interrupted with, “And Brent?”

“Yeah, Mom?”

“Welcome back.” Mom walks away leaving me with a broad smile. It feels good to be back.

The next day, I decided to start doing a morning jog. I wasn’t unhealthy or anything, but I needed to do something besides what I did before I came here. It was a nice day for a run anyway.

I got in about five minutes of running before I heard a somewhat familiar voice call, “Brent Blue?” I turn around to have a somewhat familiar face and golden blonde hair walking towards me.

“Do I know you?” I inquire the woman.

“I’m Brandy.” Everything clicked.

“You’re Brandy Dixon.” Brandy was the one who I talked to sometimes. She was nice but really shy. “Look at you. You changed so much since the last time I saw you.”

“Yeah, and you did change a day.” Thanks for reminding me of my childish appearance. I was hoping as the years went by. I would look older than sixteen. People still sometimes think I have a fake license.

I smile, “Sometimes I think I’m immortal.”

She giggles and says, “So, how are you?”

“I’m good. I decided to come back after I had gotten bored of being alone. You?”

“I’m married with beautiful twins and one on the way.”

“That’s awesome! who’s the lucky man?”

“Woman actually,” She paused, “I learned I was into women in college”

I blink twice at that then say, “Good that you found herself. The last time I saw you. You were very shy. It’s nice to see someone come out of that shell.”

“Thanks, the family is going to go to a local restaurant tonight. Do you want to come by and get to know what has gone on with our lives since high school?”

Feel a bit nervous, I reply, “I don’t want to be a bother.”

“Nonsense! I really need an adult to talk to besides other parents.”

“Well, if you’re fine with me. I’ll come. Where are the place and what time?”

“We’ll be at Peter’s Pizza Pies around six o’clock. Want me to put my contact info on your smartphone?”

“Sure.” I quickly pull out my cell phone and pull up the ‘add new contact’ page. I give her my phone. A minute later, she gives me it back.

“It was nice seeing you, Brent.”

“You too.”

“I’ll see you tonight.” She walks away. Peter’s Pizza Pies? That’s a new one.

I make it to the restaurant right at six.

“Perfect timing.” I muse as I walk through the front entrance.

“Hello, welcome to Peter’s pies. How many?”

“A friend of mine invited me to eat with her and her family.”

“Alright, sir, have a nice night.”

“You too,” I say as I walk off to find Brandy.

“Brent!” I hear from behind me. I turn and see Brandy with a beautiful wife who is really pregnant sitting with her twins. They seem to be about middle school age.

“Hey Brandy!” She walks up and gives me a hug.

“Glad you could make it.”

“Glad to be here.” I sit down and so does Brandy.

“Let me introduce you.” She gestures to her wife. “This is Erika,” she gestures to the twins “This is Jessie and James.”

“Hello, I’m Brent Blue.”

A waiter came up and asks, “Sir, do you want something to drink?”

“A coke please,” I reply. “Jessie James. That’s pretty neat. How old are you two?” I ask the twins. The waiter gave me my drink. I give her a quick “thanks” and she walks off.

James shies away, but Jessie replies enthusiastically, “We just turned twelve.” James just nods in agreement.

“How cool? Are you in middle school”

“Boring as elementary school.” Jessie answers and James nods again in agreement. An idea came up to my mind.

“Do you two know of a petite boy with dirty brown hair with ragged clothes? He tends to cover his whole face, but his left eye with her hair”

The two looks at me thoughtfully, but Jessie answers “You mean Charlie Davis?”

“Am I correct? I never got his name.”

James softly says, “Yeah, he’s a friend of mine.”

“Can you tell me about him?

James smiles, “He’s a loner most of the time, but he works hard and helps people in a subtle way. I haven’t seen him at school much since his parents died a couple years ago. Why?”

“Because when I saw him he looked homeless.”

Tears formed in James’s eyes, “He was my only friend besides Jessie. I can’t stand to see him suffer.”

“It’ll be ok. I’ll work something out.”

Erika’s, Brandy’s, and Jessie’s jaws drop. They stared at me like I just grew five more arms.

“What?” I ask them.

“Nothing, it’s just…” Brandy pauses.

“Just that James doesn’t talk to anyone. Especially strangers and men.”

Huh, I wonder what’s different about me? “Huh,"

“Why are you so interested in him?” Erika asks curiously.

“Well, I was outside my house when I saw five boys gang up on him. I manage to make them retreat. When I turned away from him for a second. He disappeared before I could ask him if he wanted to come with me.”

“Huh, well, it’s not like you’re not going to see him again. Anyway, what have you been up to since we last saw each other.” Brandy asks.

“You did hear about my dad being murdered, right?”

“Yeah,” Brandy says solemnly.

“After that, I had enough of this town and let. Since then I won the lottery and started investing. When I had enough money, I decided that I needed to settle down, and so I came back.”

“How much is enough money.”

“Enough to keep me and my future family comfortable for the rest of our lives.”

“Come on tell me the amount.”

“I can’t do that. You know, people here and they’ll blackmail me or worse.”

“Can you at least tell me the digits?”

“10.”

“10!?’ everyone blurts.

“Yeah, ten. Well, close to ten. It should be ten by the time I’m forty.”

“Wow, I didn’t know we were sitting next to a multimillionaire on the verge of billionaire,” Erika whispers.

“So, what do you use that money for, mostly,” Jessie asks

“Anything I need and charities.”

“Don’t you splurge?”

“No why?”

“NO WHY!? Because I would expect anybody with that amount of money to splurge once in a while. If I was you. I would be buying a car for later, a new phone, and a bunch of other things.”

“Meh, money doesn’t buy the things I really want. It only keeps me comfortable.”

The waiter comes over and asks, “Are you ready to order?”

“Yes,” Brandy says, “I would like a pepperoni pizza for the twins and a supreme for me and her.” She gestures to her wife.

The waiter looks to me, “You, sir?”

“I’ll have what they’re having.” I gesture to the twins. The waiter walks off.

“You eat like a kid.” Brandy jokes.

“I never was fond of anything green and edible.”

“I thought he was a kid.” Jessie states.

“Thanks for the vote of confidence,” I told her sarcastically.

“Any day.” Jessie and Brandy proudly reply then everyone bursts into giggles. Even James.

The rest of the dinner was fun, the pizza was amazing, and I made a friend out of Brandy. Good, because I don’t have very many friends as I was a recluse before coming here.

up
159 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hmm...

Not your typical story but not bad either, this might turn into a hidden gem later down the road. I’ll be keeping an eye on this story.

Seems to much more to Brent

Seems to much more to Brent that what we are seeing or hearing right now. Will be interesting to see what it is.

Almost ten figures

Jamie Lee's picture

Brent seems to understand money better than the others. He's learned buying things doesn't give him what he wants.

Why were those five boys ganging up on Charlie? Why does Charlie appear to be homeless? What idea does Brent have to help Charlie? And why would people of the town want to blackmail him?

Others have feelings too.