Catfish Part 6: The End

Printer-friendly version

catfish, noun: a person who sets up a false personal profile on a social networking site for fraudulent or deceptive purposes
Merriam-Webster.com

Jason and Mark make up.


I lie there vaguely trying to sleep for what feels like forever. Finally I hear Mark come in at probably around 12. I just lie there pretending to sleep. I really don’t feel like interacting with him right now.

I hear him making the soft noises of a bedtime ritual, probably taking his clothes off and whatever else he does before bed. Suddenly he mutters, “Oh, I guess she got back before me.” I have to wonder where he was but it’s not like I’m gonna ask him. It’s none of my fucking business anyway.

I’m thinking about him doing… whatever the fuck he was doing earlier, and kicking ME out of OUR room to do it, and I’m starting to get angrier and angrier. For some reason I guess it takes him fucking FOREVER to take his fucking clothes off, and I finally just get too pissed off and turn over.

“Can you STOP making that fucking NOISE?! I’m TRYING to SLEEP.” He looks all apologetic, as if he actually regrets what he’s done. Yeah right. If you really regretted it you wouldn’t’ve done it in the first place.

“Oh I’m really sorry, I didn’t mean to disturb you,” he says softly. “I was trying to be quiet.” He peers more closely at my face, which if emotions are anything to go by is probably bright red and covered in throbbing veins. “Are you okay?”

The dam finally bursts. “NO, I’m NOT fucking ‘okay’, moron. Who the fuck WAS that slut earlier, and why did you have to make me leave?! I thought we HAD something?” Shit shit shit SHIT that’s not what I meant to say. I’m mad at him for making me leave, not for anything else. Not for anything else. He’s just an inconsiderate roommate. Just a roommate.

At this point my anger is starting to turn into sadness. The steam I let off is condensing into water.

His stupid dumb face wrinkles in confusion. “I was studying earlier. What did you think was going on? I asked you to leave because you… kind of distract me. I have a big midterm on Monday.”

Oh god, goddammit, why am I so dumb, why did I say so much, why did I leap to conclusions.

“You know,” his big broad stupid, handsome face continues, “I didn’t realize—you know, I’m really sorry if I didn’t make it clear, but I’m open to the idea of dating. We can be exclusive if you want. I just thought after you said that was a prank you wouldn’t be—“

I finally shut up his stupid, dumb, horrible, wonderful face by kissing him. He blinks at me with his beautiful eyes for a moment under the fluorescent lights.

“I’m guessing that’s a yes?”

up
72 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Short but

Podracer's picture

sweet end. Argh, the perils of mis-communications. We're too quick to jump to the worst conclusion, and one too much about ourselves.

"Reach for the sun."