What Milsy Did -23-

Printer-friendly version

Milsy's roll-out of clocks in the palace comes to an abrupt halt when one refuses to function. Tarvan gets ready to depart for Teldor while Fulvin disappears again. Matters are complicated further when a small group of strangely dressed visitors arrive, one of them of high status!

What Milsy Did

by Penny Lane

23 - Unexpected Arrivals


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2017 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Milsy frowned. She was standing at the top of a step ladder at one end of one of the palace kitchens, an environment she was very familiar with. It was hot and sticky, despite all the windows and doors being thrown wide. In front of her, on the wall, was a glass-fronted cabinet showing a double clock face; the door itself had been opened so that she could work on it and the dial plate had been unscrewed so that she could see what was happening inside the mechanism.

"I don't understand," she said to Yubold, who stood below, mopping his face. "I can hear the solenoid clicking, I can actually see it moving, yet it does not move far enough to pull the ratchet. The fact that it moves tells me there is no gap in the wires along the circuit but something is clearly wrong."

Yubold's expression was sympathetic. "I can offer you no remedy, Milsy. I now know enough to understand how such a solenoid circuit works but not why. I would like to learn more, to be able to better design and make these new clocks, but I think I am correct in saying that you know little more than myself?"

Milsy sighed and climbed down the ladder. "Aye, Yubold, you are right. From what Tarvan says, he knows little more than me, and Lady Garia - the Guildmistress - knows little more than he does. We - Tarvan and I, that is - have of course more familiarity with electricity than yourself or any of the other clockmakers... anyone else, really, but our knowledge of the subject must be considered small. Our immediate problem is that this clock does not work though all the others do. Why? What is different?"

Yubold shook his head. "Shall we go and tell young Sterret that he need no longer stand by the master clock? We can talk along the way."

"Aye, why not? I have worked in kitchens before and I know that if one has no business there it is an unpleasant place to be."

The clockmaker grinned. "Except in the depths of winter, I deem. Let me put this ladder out of everyone's way, else we will be accused of causing somebody to trip."

As they walked out of the great chamber Milsy remarked, "That wouldn't have worked in Dekarran, Yubold. The kitchen there is deep inside the castle and stays the same temperature all the year round, as indeed do most of the chambers. Master Samind, who oversaw the running of the kitchens, would not permit any inside who did not have a task there."

"I would think not. A kitchen such as this is in every respect a workshop, saving that it is not run by guildsmen, and I would expect a similar rule to that we follow ourselves with our own workshops." He looked up. "Would it serve our purposes to retrace the route that the wires take? I am now familiar enough with this part of the palace that I know a quicker way, though we could not route the wires that way."

"That's a good idea, Yubold. Mayhap there is something about the way we have strung these wires which makes the difference."

They continued walked the corridors of the lower floor, trailed by Bursila and two armsmen. As they walked they looked up to check the wires, strung along the paneling of the walls above the doorways. Every so often a flat wooden box indicated a joint or a change of direction.

"Where does that go?"

"Nowhere yet. When we receive enough repeater clocks and other materials, we may tap off that box to go to the Large Training Room and the Armory." Milsy shrugged. "There are no more yet planned that direction but I could see at least two more being placed in the barrack blocks, three if they include the stables."

"I can understand why. Even with the few we have already placed it becomes natural to look for a clock first when one must needs know the time. I am astonished how my own habits have changed and I cannot wait for clocks to become more commonplace."

"You'll have a long wait, I deem. Guildmaster Bayorn has yet to find a suitable site for his new workshop, so I hear. Until he can set that up, we are restricted to, what? Three clocks every two weeks if we are lucky. That was the last that I heard."

"You heard right, Milsy. I am amazed that we can produce them as fast as that myself, but it is only with the aid of your brass workers in Pakh Lane and elsewhere. That trick for making the wheels has made a huge difference to the speed of clock making."

"Aye! Oh, we turn left here." A little further on she pointed. "Look! That joint box now feeds the clock in the Family Dining Room and will also feed a clock somewhere in the Palace Wardrobe."

"So the master clock in the laboratory isn't connected any more?"

"As you say. We decided to leave it there to use for experiments but it has no repeaters attached at the moment. We removed the connections while you were setting up the clock in the Receiving Room, if you recall."

"Oh, aye! I do remember now. There is so much going on at once in the palace that it is easy to become confused."

"I can only agree! Now somewhere around here we must needs make a fresh joint, since His Majesty has decided to have a repeater in his sitting room, though when it will be fitted I have no idea. At this rate, probably some time in the new year."

Yubold looked at the wiring loom thoughtfully. "To do so, you'll have to take out all the wires and replace them with fresh, since they will not be long enough to be cut and accommodate a joint box."

Milsy wrinkled her nose. "Aye, you're right. In some places we have left extra wire but it is difficult to ensure that none of the spare loops touch each other. There must be a better way to do this, but right now we have not the time to consider such ideas, we are far too busy."

Yubold rolled his eyes. "As you say! I cannot remember a time I had so much to do." He studied the wall above the wires carefully. "How are you going to get the wires upstairs?"

Milsy grinned. "One of the drains people has told me that, somewhere on the other side of this wall, there is a space where the outlets from some of the upstairs bathing chambers descend. He said that one of the old Chivan sewer tunnels runs below the courtyard on that side." She pointed. "It is a fairly big closet, so I was told, though I have not yet seen it myself. Harion claimed that there would be plenty of room inside to run our wires up the walls without getting in anybody's way, and the best part is, the closet space goes right through the floor and all the way upstairs, so we can bring easily the wires out to the corridor above. What do you think?"

"An ideal solution to an awkward problem, I deem. Are there many such spaces in the palace, do you know?"

She shook her head. "Apparently not. Most of the plumbing is above the upper floor ceilings and all the call wires are up there too. Of course, most of the bathing chambers are on the upper level since that is where most people reside."

"As you say. Ah, could we use that upper space, where the pipes are, to carry the clock wires?"

"It was something we considered, but because of the way that the attic space is constructed, so I was told, and with the pipes and call wires going everywhere, it isn't really practical to do it that way. Besides, if the wires are in the corridors it will be easier for us to install and alter them. Imagine crawling along above a bedroom ceiling somewhere and not knowing where to drill holes to drop the wires through! Whoever is below could be upset, especially if we happen to choose the wrong ceiling to make holes in."

"Could you not drill up from below? Then you could choose the right place to make your holes."

"We dare not, Yubold. If we did that, we might drill through a water pipe and that would cause real problems."

"As you say! Our task is hard enough as it is, Milsy."

She stopped and frowned. "Aye... I think that since we have connected in the new clock, we had better make sure that the others are still working. Something strange is happening and it might affect the other clocks."

She turned and headed back to the Family Dining Room. Inside were three servants she had never seen before, staring intently at the clock over the doorway. She smiled at them.

"If I may help?"

There followed the customary question and answer sequence that Milsy could now recite without giving it much attention. She saw, with some relief, that the clock still seemed to function normally. Once the servants had been satisfied the group resumed their way through the corridors to the new closet where the master clock was now located, along the corridor next to the Great Clock. Standing in front of the closet was Sterret, Yubold's journeyman, and with him were Faranar and Winto, the palace joiners who were charged with making the cabinets, along with Bassen, the palace's senior carpenter. All were apparently waiting for Milsy and Yubold to appear.

Sterret was the first to speak. "Mistress Milsy! Nothing unusual has happened here since you departed. Does the kitchen clock work?"

She shook her head. "No, Sterret, it does not, and we do not understand why. We have checked all the wires between the last joint box and the clock, the solenoid appears to operate but it is not sufficient to pull the ratchet over."

This news was received in silence by all those waiting. Until now the four clocks they had installed, or re-installed in the case of the one in the Family Dining Room, had all worked perfectly as expected. To have a setback, and for an unknown reason, was disturbing.

"Do you think you can find out why, Milsy?" asked Faranar.

She gave him a faint smile. "If I cannot work out the reason, then I doubt anyone can. You should all understand that my knowledge of electricity is not very great, even compared to that which Lady Garia knows, and she has told us herself that she has only a basic understanding of the subject."

Sterret began to object. "But -" He subsided into silence.

"It should not be a problem," she reassured them, "since electricity on Earth was developed the hard way, by trial and experiment. We are entirely capable of doing such trials and experiments ourselves, are we not? For now, it is enough that the four clocks we have already installed work as designed, to the benefit of all. When I am able to find some free time -" she grinned at them and rolled her eyes, "- I will attempt to discover what we have done wrong."

For the first time she noticed who had gathered by the master clock cabinet. "Is there some other problem?"

Faranar shuffled his feet. "Aye, Milsy. We have run out of the connecting blocks for the joint boxes, which is not surprising when one considers how many each box uses. Since they are of brass our supply comes, as you know, from some source arranged by Master Fulvin. I sought to find him to request more but he cannot be found."

Bassen added, "He is not within the palace, I deem. We have made a discreet search of the places he is usually to be found. I even asked his journeymen, they tell me they have not seen him since the day before yesterday."

She groaned. "Oh, no! I'll wager he has been distracted by his zipper project, and that he is in the workshop in Pakh Lane." Most of the others nodded, they knew about Fulvin's 'other projects'. She reached a decision. "Ah, if you would let me handle the problem, gentlemen. Master Fulvin has already suffered the wrath of Their Majesties, let me see if I may rescue him before he does something that has no remedy."

"As you desire, Milsy."

"Tell me, Faranar, is the lack of blocks causing you any immediate problem?"

The Master Carpenter shook his head. "Fortunately, nothing that we cannot work around." He shrugged. "From time to time we suffer shortages of nails or screws, this will be no different. We will simply continue doing as much of the other work as we can until the parts are delivered."

Milsy nodded. "Very well." She glanced at the dials of the master clock. "Now, if you will excuse us, we must needs get changed for lunch. After lunch I will have a messenger sent to Pakh Lane..." She paused and considered. "No, I think I'll go there myself. I have to speak with Master Dubanar about several matters and the carriage ride will give me a chance to think about the kitchen clock."

* * *

Entering the Family Dining Room, Milsy found Robanar and Terys talking with Kendar and Captain Merek. Terys noticed her come in and beckoned her over. She joined them and curtseyed.

"Ma'am?"

Terys smiled. "Dear, it has occurred to me that you may be of some particular assistance in the days to come. We have received word that an unexpected visitor will arrive at the palace this afternoon, a Princess from a far distant land, so we are told. In fact, the land is so distant that we know nothing of it at all. Indeed, we can say that since Garia came to us we know more about Earth than we do of Einnland!"

"Einnland, Ma'am?" Milsy screwed her face up over the unusual name.

"Indeed, dear, and you now know as much as I do. The King has of course exchanged the customary greetings with the King of Einnland from time to time but that is about the extent of our knowledge."

"You want me to find out more about... Einnland, Ma'am?" Milsy was doubtful. "I do not know how easy it will be to do that."

Terys tutted. "No, no, dear, we may safely leave such onerous tasks to our Questors and, perhaps, to some of our more widely traveled traders."

"Oh! You mean Master Tanon, Ma'am?"

Terys smiled again. "Did I not know you had a sharp mind, dear? Indeed we shall ask him when he next calls at the palace. No, we do not ask that of you, we will probably discover all that we must needs know from the girl herself, once she has settled in."

"As you say, Ma'am. But... do you know why she comes? It seems strange to me that such a person would travel so far on her own... What of her parents? Has there been some disaster?"

Terys replied, "The message we have had from the Duke of Plif was brief and gives few details, dear. Only that she arrived by sea and that her ship nearly sank after several storms. She leads a small party only, the rest of her crew remaining behind to repair their ship. Why does she come? Well, you should know that it is the custom of the Valley states to send the daughters of their rulers away to marry the heirs of other states. I myself came from Stirmond, a country many, many marks along the Sirrel, far beyond even Yod, to marry Prince Robanar, as he then was. It is possible that she is coming here for that reason."

"To marry Keren? Oh, I see!"

Milsy considered. It had been a few weeks since she had seen Keren kiss Garia and she had no idea if that had developed into something more or if Keren had treated Garia simply as he would have treated a sister. On the other hand, she did know about the kind of alliances nobles, Dukes and Kings made in marriage and a Princess might be thought a more suitable match.

"But... Sire, Ma'am, what of her parents?"

"Dear, we will only discover the truth when she arrives some time this afternoon. Until then, it is pointless to speculate."

"Of course, Ma'am. My apologies. If you would excuse me, I do not know how such visitors are received in the palace."

Robanar answered. "My dear, as you may be aware anyone who requests hospitality throughout the Valley will receive it from anyone, be they the poorest farmworker, merchant, guildsman or noble of any rank. That is the honorable thing to do, after all. Our guest will arrive but, until she does so, we will not know her true purpose or how long she intends to reside with us. If I read the Queen aright, she will present herself differently to us, her hosts, than she might do to... others who reside in the palace, say, like yourself."

Milsy saw the point and nodded. "Ah! I understand, Sire. Aye, the like used to happen in Dekarran, when visitors came to the castle. Not that I ever saw much of them, of course." She continued, "You wish me to observe the visitor and give you my own impression of what she says and does."

Terys turned to Robanar. "There, dear! Did I not tell you that Milsy would understand immediately? She may observe without being noticed herself, and being clever, may see things that others miss."

"As you say, my dear." Robanar turned to Milsy. "You will do this for us?"

Milsy curtseyed. "As you command, Sire." She added, "I will do what I can, but of course I am as busy as both of you must be. If you feel that you require more or less of my attention on this matter, you have only to command."

Robanar said, "You are very thoughtful, my dear. We will greet her with an evening meal in the Receiving Room tonight, I think. Does the clock in there still function?"

"Aye, Sire, it does. Oh, I must needs report that the clock we are attempting to install in the kitchens does not work and we do not yet know why."

"Ah? I'm sure that you will keep me informed."

"As you say, Sire."

* * *

The carriage turned into Pakh Lane and traveled all the way to the end where the main workshops were. Milsy was interested to see that, unlike her first visit, there were very few people idling on the street. However, she was still spotted climbing out and soon Craftmaster Dubanar appeared from within, wiping his hands on a rag.

"Mistress Milsy! Welcome again to our workshop. Come into our office and you can tell me what we may help you with today."

"Several reasons, actually," she replied. "If I may instruct our escort first."

"Of course. I regret that you need them but I understand the dangers you still face."

As they walked inside she remarked, "Not so many about in the lane today, I see."

"Indeed not! We have employed almost all of them in this workshop or the five others along the lane." He grinned. "We have had complaints from the tavern keepers that trade is down, but I deem that most slake their thirst every evening after work so I doubt that they are losing much. Now, what may the Brassworkers do for you today?"

Milsy had a general discussion with Dubanar about various matters of common interest before she raised the first of the two which had caused her to make a personal visit.

"Are you making the little connecting blocks here that we use for jointing our wires? Faranar at the palace says that they have run out and that Master Fulvin arranged the supply."

Dubanar frowned. "Connecting blocks? We have so many new items to make, these days. If you would describe them."

"I ask your apologies, Craftmaster, I should have brought a sample with me. They are about this big," she said, holding her finger and thumb a short distance apart. "There's a threaded screw hole in the middle to fix them to the back of the box, and on either side there's a larger plain hole with a shorter threaded hole going halfway through it. You supply the screws for the threads as well. Does that make any sense?"

Dubanar nodded. "Aye, it does. Parsan," he spoke to his young assistant, "did you recognize the part from the description?"

"Aye, Master."

"Go and find out who makes them and see what the supply is. If Milsy has none we may be able to give her some to take back to the palace when she returns."

Parsan bobbed, said, "Aye, Master," and ran out of the office.

"What do you use them for?" the Craftmaster enquired. "So many! We must have supplied hundreds of them already."

"Oh, well that's easy to explain," Milsy told him. "When we need to joint our wires -" She briefly described the joint boxes and added, "Since we have six wires, and they can come out on any side or through the back, we could use up to thirty in one box, though that would be very unlikely. Normally we need twelve for a straight joint or eighteen when we have to branch the wires."

"That sounds complicated, if I may say so. Though," he added, "I never realized what complicated meant until I saw the inside of one of your new clocks! The steam engines were a puzzle also, until I perceived just how each part functioned."

"Just so, Master Dubanar. I think most things are like that. I was brought up, as you know, in the great kitchens in Dekarran and so I understood how everything in there functioned all the time. A visitor to the kitchen would only have seen a confusion of people running about and doing strange things." She smiled. "Perhaps if I bring a spare joint box when I next visit, you will understand how everything fits together."

Dubanar bowed his head. "If you would, Milsy. Many of the new items we make are strange to us, it is often useful when we can see how a part is to be used."

"As you say. Now tell me, if you can, have you seen Master Fulvin lately? I would have asked him about our joint blocks but he is nowhere to be found."

"I have not seen him lately. Is he not at the palace? I know the building is large, surely he must be somewhere you have not yet searched?"

Milsy shook her head. "His own subordinates have not seen him for two days. The Palace Guard would normally know where somebody is to be found, I enquired discreetly. Nobody has seen him at all, it seems."

Dubanar turned. "Then when Parsan has returned from his errand, we must needs search the other workshops along the lane. I know he is not within this one."

"Thank you, Master Dubanar. If Their Majesties were ever to discover his absence, there would be trouble."

"Aye, indeed! We must not let that happen if we can discover a different way."

Parsan returned bearing a small cloth bag, which he handed to Dubanar.

"Master, Tanik gave me these and to tell you that there would be more only Master Fulvin took a box of the blanks away with him yesterday morning and he has to cast some more when he can get time at the furnaces."

"He did? Oh, thank you, Parsan." He opened the bag to check the contents. "Ah, it looks like there may be fifty or so here. Milsy, you may take these back with you."

The two exchanged a look.

Milsy remarked, "He's obviously thought of something, I deem. Some new kind of tool or machine which is intended to make the production of these -" she gestured at the bag, "- that much easier."

"Aye. So, let us go along the lane and find out what new device he has wrought."

Milsy secured the bag and gave it to Bursila. They then left the office, walking out of the yard into the end of the lane. She glanced at the motley of buildings along it.

"Where do we begin, Craftmaster? How many workshops are there along here anyway?"

"Five, now, apart from the main building behind us. When you first came there were but three. I suggest that we try the ones he used before, since we know he has machinery there."

"Mistress?" That was Tord, getting interested in Milsy's activities.

"Oh, we're going to walk along here to try and find a certain jeweler of our acquaintance," she told him. "The carriage might as well stay here until we have finished."

"As you wish, Mistress. I'll send two men with you, if I may."

"Of course."

Milsy remembered the little dwelling where Fulvin had set up his zipper workshop but he was not there. Neither was he in the rough shed where prodigious quantities of brass buckles were now being produced. However, the charge-hand in the latter place told them, "Master Fulvin is at number thirty-eight, Master and Mistress."

Dubanar nodded. "Oh, aye! Thank you, Korbin." To Milsy he explained, "A new workshop has been set up there to experiment with the new bearings which Lady Garia told us about. Doubtless Fulvin has some device which he considers will benefit from using them."

Milsy frowned. "Bearings?"

"Aye... They have an ingenious design where the two surfaces do not rub one against the other but are kept apart by little balls or cylinders, thus reducing friction. The newer models of steam engine have begun to employ such bearings on their axles, but I think the one you have at the palace is too old. The best way to explain is to go there and show you, I deem. Then you will understand."

They walked out of the workshop and diagonally across the street to another converted building. From its size and the placement of windows and doors, Milsy thought it might previously have been a tavern. They went in and were greeted by the charge-hand, who looked suspiciously at Milsy.

Dubanar put up a hand. "Calm yourself! Guildswoman Milsy has as much right to enter here as I do. In addition, being a woman, she must needs have a chaperone while in our workshops."

The man bowed and gestured for them to enter, raising an eyebrow at the two armsmen who had stationed themselves either side of the doorway.

"I reside at the palace," Milsy explained. "Because of my resemblance to Lady Garia... the Guildmistress, it was felt wise to provide me with an escort. The men will remain without and not interfere with your activities."

"As you say, uh, Mistress," the man said, obviously uncertain how to address her. He switched to a safer visitor and asked Dubanar, "If I may help, Craftmaster?"

"We seek Fulvin. Is he here?"

"Oh, aye! He is just there on the right."

The court jeweler turned as the group approached.

"Master Dubanar! And Milsy!" His face fell. "Am I in trouble again?"

Milsy said, "You will be if you do not return to the palace with us this afternoon. Bassen says you have been missing these two days... or was it three?"

Fulvin looked embarrassed. "I must admit I have not counted the passage of the days," he told them. "I came here... when was it? I do not know. I was given leave by His Majesty to visit and discover progress on the zipper project," his face became animated, "which is progressing very well indeed! Before we leave I must show you what has been done."

His expression changed. "Faranar asked me to bring back a batch of the little brass blocks you use for jointing wires, so I went into the main workshop. There I saw journeymen drilling the holes and it occurred to me that, since the drill need only go up and down, then perhaps a modified version of my press would serve to make more accurate holes. For that I would need bearings that would allow the axle to turn as well as slide up and down, so I came here where such things are made."

Huh? Oh, he means to put the drill... bit? on the end of the press and then it can just slide up and down.

Oh, but the drill must needs turn, so that's why... but how will he make the axle turn? Will he use some kind of electric motor, or... How does he intend to transfer the movement from a fixed axle to a moving one?

Milsy forced herself with difficulty to remain focused. "That, um, sounds interesting, but I doubt Their Majesties would agree, Master Fulvin. I think you must needs return with us and we will make it look as if you had only paid a brief visit here as you originally intended."

Fulvin gave her a grateful smile. "You are young but yet you have a good understanding of the ways of the court, Milsy. If I may give instruction to those who are making things here for me, I will join you as quickly as I can."

He was as good as his word and the enlarged party returned outside. Fulvin led them to what Milsy now thought of as the "zipper workshop" and waited outside until the jeweler reappeared with a small bag.

"I have here a sample zipper which actually works," he said, indicating the bag. "Perhaps it would be best if I showed it to you once we have returned to the palace."

Back at the carriage, Milsy gave Tord instructions to let Fulvin out the moment that the carriage was admitted through the service gates.

"He can sneak through the kitchen entrance and deliver these joint blocks to Faranar in the palace workshops," she explained. "People will see him wandering about the corridors but then that's where he is supposed to be, isn't it?"

Tord smiled. "Aye, Mistress. It seems you have as good an eye for intrigue as the Baroness does."

"Humph! You have to remember where I grew up, Tord. Now, perhaps we'd better be going. Remember, we are supposed to be having visitors this afternoon and we'll all need to look our best."

"As you say, Mistress!"

Of course Fulvin could not wait and once they were in motion he dug into the bag, to bring out a recognizable zipper. He handed this to Milsy to examine. It consisted of two strips of heavy cotton ribbon, each with brass teeth and a slide which went overall. At one end the two ribbons had been sewn together to prevent the slide falling off and at the other...

"What are these? They look like teeth that are too big."

"I merely reproduced what was on the original, Milsy. The function of those two larger teeth is to prevent the slide from coming off the top of the zipper. The fact that they are bigger, and of a different shape, complicates the device we designed for fixing the teeth to the ribbon, but it is not such a big problem. At the other end, we have sewn the strips together for the time being but on the original is a kind of brass staple which holds everything in place. I am having some dies made to fix the staple into the cloth and then we will be ready to begin producing small numbers to prove our ideas. What do you think of it?"

"I am astonished, Master Fulvin, and so will the King and Queen be when they see this. I did not think you had come so far in such a short time."

Their carriage approached the palace compound and turned down a street which ran along the south-east side. Part way along the walls of the original fort a gateway had been knocked through and turned into a proper defendable entrance. Beyond was a yard where produce for the kitchens was delivered and a narrow lane also ran right, inside the wall, to the stables and the buildings where the carriages and wagons were usually housed. Today the heavy wooden gates were wide open as usual. Naturally, Milsy's carriage turned into the gateway and was nodded through immediately her escort was recognized.

Behind them, another carriage had seen them turn and followed them in. There was a shout and the dranakh halted, while guards tumbled out of the gatehouse to surround the vehicle. Milsy's carriage also stopped immediately and she climbed out followed by Fulvin and then Bursila.

"There's a distraction," she said to Fulvin in a low voice. "Look, go inside while everyone is looking the other way."

Fulvin nodded thanks with a smile. "Once again I am grateful to you, Milsy. I'll see you at table this evening?"

"Aye... remember, it will be in the Receiving Room."

Milsy could only recognize three liveries, those of Dekarran, the Palace and Master Tanon. As she turned her attention to the carriage that had been behind hers, the fact that the livery was different had no significance.

"Mistress, is this safe?" That was Tord, who had by then dismounted and joined her.

"I have no idea," she replied, "but that carriage has only one man on top beside the driver and no escort. Who could be within who could threaten me, with all the gate guard around them?"

"Aye, but look at that man! I have heard of barbarians but thought them fables. Yonder warrior would give Master Haflin a good workout, I deem. And that sword he bears is no toy, either. I would not care to face it, though doubtless the tricks the Baroness knows would tame him."

The man sitting beside the fairly normal-looking driver was huge. Milsy had heard of Haflin but had never seen him so could not make a comparison. This man looked large, ugly - and competent. He had a shock of unkempt red hair which seemed to flow down over his lower face and throat as well. Palarandis sometimes wore beards but they were usually kept well-tended. His clothing looked fairly nondescript except that he wore trousers, as certain trades occasionally did, and over his tunic was a sleeveless vest of thick rough fur. He climbed off the seat easily enough and opened the door to permit those inside to climb out.

The first person to appear was a tall blonde girl about the same age as Milsy, though age was perhaps the only thing they shared. She was well muscled and had broad shoulders, which the ill-fitting gown did little to disguise. She had travel-stained boots on her feet and thick tights on her legs. Her hair was plaited into a single thick tail which hung over her left shoulder. She glanced around with surprise before turning and speaking to the second person to emerge.

This was an older man, of middling height and probably somewhere in his late thirties. Like the other man, who Milsy refused to think of as 'armsman', he wore traveling clothes which included trousers, boots and a fur vest, though of a better quality than the first man. Two female faces poked out through the door and a window, though they did not climb out.

"Is this place the hall of the King of Palarand?"

The girl's voice was hard and used to instant obedience. The words were distinguishable but the accent was strange, with a curious lilt to them Milsy had never heard before. She realized suddenly what must have happened, and pushed forward despite Tord's warning hand on her arm.

Milsy curtseyed. "Your Highness, welcome to Palarand. Aye, this is indeed the palace but there has been a misunderstanding. This is the service entrance, I deem that your party is expected at the front, which is further along there." She pointed.

The girl turned to the 'bodyguard' and let out a stream of harsh words in what Milsy assumed was her native tongue. He merely turned and shrugged. The older man said something to her and she subsided, turning back to Milsy.

"We thank you for your assistance. This place is strange to our eyes, we did not know what to expect. Your name?"

"If it please you, Your Highness, I am called Milsy."

"Do all noblewomen of Palarand wear such attire as yours?"

"What? Highness, I am no noblewoman but a guildswoman resident in the palace. This is my working attire." Milsy was of course wearing her leather suit.

"What is a guildswoman?"

The older man spoke to her, presumably explaining what function Milsy had. The look she turned on Milsy was one of disdain.

"You are a craftswoman, then. Surely one such as you could not hew wood or hammer iron."

Milsy bowed her head briefly. "I am indeed a metalsmith, Highness, despite appearances. However, this is not the time or place for such introductions. If I may suggest that your carriage turn round in the yard and go around to the front, you will receive a welcome more befitting your status. Oh," she added, "I'm guessing your driver has never been to Palarand before?"

"This is true. We have journeyed here three days from Plif."

"I see. Then your driver would not know what the palace looked like or where to deliver you. If I may ask you not to blame your driver for something he could not possibly know about."

The girl stared at Milsy for a few breaths before saying, "As you say."

Without another word she turned round and climbed back into the carriage. The older man said a few words to the 'bodyguard' before giving Milsy a nod of thanks and following his principal. Beside Milsy, Tord let out a long breath.

"Whew! That could have turned into a difficult incident, Mistress. If I may, I think you handled it well."

"Aye, well, if she is to stay at the palace, we don't want her to get the wrong idea about any of us, do we? She looks a prickly sort."

"Aye, indeed! Come, let us move our own carriage so that theirs may turn around."

The gate guard were alert but permitted the carriage into the yard to maneuver. Milsy and Bursila climbed back into their own for the final few strides of their own journey.

"Come on!" she said as they climbed out again. "Let's get changed and down to the Receiving Room! I can't wait to find out what is going on."

* * *

Back in her quarters Milsy discovered Tarvan in the laboratory, playing with a remote solenoid-switch setup she had devised the previous week. He pushed one button and there was a distant click, starting a fan whirring, then he pushed a different button to hear another click while the fan spun to a halt. He turned and smiled as she approached.

"You've been to Pakh Lane, I take it? That was what Yubold told me when I returned to the palace."

"Aye." She grinned. "Master Fulvin disappeared again and I had to rescue him before Their Majesties noticed. I hope."

Tarvan grinned back. "We guild members have to stick together, do we not?"

They shared a brief kiss before she replied, "It was self-preservation, really. If Fulvin gets into trouble the King might start looking at my own activities."

"You should be safe enough. You reside in the palace, it is true, but you do not have an assigned post as Fulvin does. I think His Majesty expects you to be out and about, since that is where the workshops and factories are."

"If you say so. Speaking of factories, how was your morning?"

Tarvan sighed. "I never knew something could be so complicated. You'd think I was designing the Great Clock instead of a simple wire-drawing factory. Expensive, as well. The planning department think they have remembered everything, but you know how well that seems to work in practice."

"Aye, indeed! So, when do you leave?"

"Day after tomorrow, or mayhap the day after that if there are any further delays. From what I have heard I'll pass His Highness and Lady Garia somewhere along the highway to South Slip. Perhaps we'll have time for a few words if we meet."

"Indeed. I wonder where they are now?"

"Why don't you ask Captain Merek? I believe that he is getting daily reports via semaphore and messenger concerning their every move."

"I don't see the point. It isn't as if I'm the King or Queen, is it? I'll let them worry about Keren and Garia's safety while I worry about the new arrival."

"New arrival? What's this?"

"Oh, right, you probably went out before the message arrived. There's a foreign Princess coming to stay at the palace. It's possible she may be intended for Keren, if you know what I mean."

"A Princess! I wonder what she'll be like?"

"Tall, well-muscled, blonde, the bluest eyes I have seen on anyone apart from Bayorn, sounds peculiar and acts like I thought a Princess should act. Haughty."

Tarvan was surprised. "You've met her already?"

"By accident. We were turning into the service gate and her carriage followed ours. I think the driver had no idea and just saw our livery so followed it. The gate guard weren't pleased."

He laughed. "I bet they weren't! I assume they were directed around the front?"

"As it happened I did the explaining. She couldn't work out what I was, though." Milsy grinned back. "The next few days could be interesting."

"And I'm leaving for Teldor."

"Personally, I think that you'll be better off somewhere else. If It were possible, I would come with you but we know that can't happen now."

"As you say."

"So, stop playing with my toys and go and get changed, Tarvan. Find some decent attire, too. I'm told it will be a proper welcoming banquet in the Receiving Room tonight for our guest."

Tarvan straightened and thumped a fist to his chest. "As you command, Mistress. I'll see you in a bell or so, then."

Milsy stuck her tongue out at him.

up
248 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Resistance is futile

She will need bigger gauge wires or use relays like discussed in SEE. It's going to take a lot of work to replace all that uninsulated wires once they get rubber.

The Bitch has arrived ^_^

I love how offshoots of SEE are still around. Once Julina appears I will have the fun of finding all the errors since it is so big. I can't wait.

Power supplies

Miley may need the spare space in the drains closet for more batteries as well as the relay system. It's not just the wire lengths that have resistance, each joint has resistance as well, and it all adds up.

Wiring resistance

As somebody who had a soldering iron for my 10th Christmas, I am well aware of all the potential problems... but of course, they are not.

Garia will partly solve the problems when she gets back from Blackstone but of course she will have other concerns by then.

When she eventually returns from Earth both the physics textbook and the digital multimeter will prove of great assistance, but by then I expect the locals to have found out most of it by themselves.

Penny

Digital?

Frankly an analog one is more useful a lot of the time for me. When I was 13 I got an analog multimeter with a single digit ua level movement. The movement had low damping to you can visually see the meter respond to 10 Hz dc pulses.

It is not always the resolution or accuracy of the reading that counts but visually seeing value trends with a needle can be a lot better than digital displays that confuse the eyes when values change rapidly.

Not to mention for Anmar, not needing batteries would be a distinct advantage as well as being reproducible now, instead of in another decade or more for a digital one.

Analogue meters

As kimmie says, analogue instruments are more valuable at this stage as the operation of a moving coil meter is akin to that of a motor, and something that Milsy and Tarvan can make fairly quickly, accuracy not being important as Anmar has yet to scientifically define what a 'Volt', 'Ohm' or 'Amp' is.
As an Anmar day is 71 minutes longer than an earth day (Somewhere Else Entirely - Epilogue 1) any earth instruments will give a false reading because the physics behind them will be based on Earth's shorter time reference.

False readings

Well a correction factor can be calculated to normalize it OR just go ahead and use Earth standard units. It's no different in a way than using metric vs non-metric with the exception that even the second will be different in this case.

Now, if one were to bring a DMM, then hopefully the one brought can be used as a secondary reference. Some modern DMMs have insane levels of precision and accuracy thanks to modern temperature and drift stabilized voltage references inside of them. Bringing an 8.5 digit DMM make the most sense.

reference accuracy

I think that is why Garia brought a digital multimeter, instead of an analog, for frequency they may have to use their own unit, to make developing an AC grid easier. They can then make an analog one, of course it may initially be little more than a volt meter, without the components developed to automatically do the math. Of course having the accuracy on Earth units IS important but more for maintaining the other items Garia brought back from Earth when they need to replace any of the batteries on any of those devices, they need to know how to arrange an appropriate substitute, after all rechargeable batteries don't last forever, even Lead Acid cells die (though that is usually more to do with how it is used or the environment it is in) and Li-Ion will die from normal use eventually.

Anmarian oopsies

Yes, we know there are a few, and we have a crack team even now poring over every line, dot and comma.

(Well, you knew I wrote fiction, didn't you?)

Penny

A pressing inovation

The Drill Press, that is going to be useful, and with it potentially a routing table, it is functionally similar, though his version would be much more stationary than even the first of Earth's, as those were just modified versions of the portable power tool form, they are making bevels and channels in wood, right now they are chiseling it. Still a drill press will enable them to do so much more, more consistently

Edit:
The drill press is one of the few tools that hasn't changed much since its invention, with few tools displacing it in function, (one could use a CNC router for the job but that only makes sense if you are already using a CNC) regardless of power source they all operate on the same essential mechanical design, with some minor changes over the years. The moving axle/spindle is going to be very useful, all moving towards less expensive interchangeable parts. Its easy to take for granted how important interchangeable parts are, and the complications in their development.

The radial arm saw is one of

The radial arm saw is one of the other tools that hasn't changed much since its inception. You don't find them as much anymore in normal stores, because of the "dangers", but every large scale woodshop will have one. (If you use them as a ripsaw, it's easy to have them bind and throw wood if you're being stupid.)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Saws displace other saws a

Saws displace other saws a LOT while they all have their niches but there is overlap

The Miter Saw

Significantly displaces the Radial arm unless you need a rip cut at an angle, or other cuts that a Miter simply cant do, a combination of a Miter and table saw can still get you most of the capability of a Radial arm, which is part of what I mean, if you compare the power tools used 100 years ago for a task to the ones used for that task now, with only the only true difference might be if they are set up to take a belt from a line shaft or if they have an electric motor, some of the various power plains and the table saw wouldn't have changed much, beyond accessories, band saws have lots of different varieties at any period, mainly the belt arrangement, the basic lathe hasn't changed much, but it is also the basis of many of our more advanced tools especially in the realm of automation.

It is the simpler power tools that work REALLY well and are extremely useful that dont change much and don't get displaced by other tools, but other than the chuck and the power source a drill press made 100 years ago is going to be nearly identical to the one made last week, even Table saws have greater differences, blade guards, splitters vs rising knives, heck the ability to angle the blade (thanks to electric motors) the blades themselves have also changed significantly.

Should be an interesting

Should be an interesting reception when the Princess meets Milsy again, along with the King and Queen and the rest of the Court; and sees how she is dressed. Wonder what she will think about Milsy then; being a little snippy at her when they first met by the carriage.

The princess

Being snippy is the princess's default mode. Only later will Garia help her become a nicer person.

Dawn

Snippy

Eriana is definitely snippy, but she also has a good streak of self-preservation.

As will become clear in the next chapter or two, she is seriously out of her depth and because of events 'Somewhere Else Entirely' we know that she is desperate to remain in Palarand for her own reasons. Therefore, she has to try and project a pleasant persona in public. She's a Princess; she can do these things... most of the time.

As for Milsy, she is now a recognizable face who seems to know how to get things done. Eriana will try her best to be friendly but it probably won't always work out as she intends.

Penny

I like the way this is going

And it is a sure-fire close-fit to SEE

I have now updated the Appendix entries for the chapter links.

((( http://www.bigclosetr.us/topshelf/fiction/61505/what-milsy-d... )))

I must apologise (ish) for being out of contact for the best part of a month - this is what happens when you have two apartments in different countries, hundreds of miles apart, and your car's engine blows up when travelling between the two.

I am now back in Switzerland and settling back into my regular (well, what USED to be regular) routine. Julina is bursting to get posted.

Thanks for this Penny.

There are a couple things

That just registered based on Milsy 22,
1 they either built the regenerative heat exchange system for the blast furnace extremely quickly or they used metal instead of fire brick, you need at least 2 structures for it to work, one in "storing heat" mode and the other in "releasing heat" mode.
2 the fact that they decided to use a different engine design because it was for a "fixed purpose" (stationary) means that they are doing some serious experiments with engine efficiency, we don't see it as significantly anymore because we are getting better at making things smaller and more efficient, but it is still true today, if you dont have to worry about space and weight, or moving it around, you can make an engine more efficient than you would other wise. and there are 2 basic ways of making a heat engine more efficient assuming you cant significantly change the thermal conductivity of the engine material, increasing entry temperature, and decreasing exhaust temperature (relative to entry temperature).

The Pakh lane workshops are expanding a bit too rapidly, overtaking buildings from local businesses, at this stage it is unavoidable, interesting though that they are putting a workshop that experiment with bearings in an area that deals more with brass than steel (you can do it with any metal but there is the factor of strength to consider). Perhaps they need to arrange an additional workspace for Fulvin at the Palace, a place that while it would have reduced access to parts, would be set up just for his experiments, maybe an addition to or rearrangement of the space he has there as the jeweler, wouldn't stop him from needing to go to Pakh Lane, but it would stop him from over taking a workshop every time he has an idea, and disappearing from his other duties. His journeymen will benefit too, from learning to think like manufacturing engineers, and they also already have a skill set advantageous to prototyping. Fulvin will be looking at installation and use more as well, yes he sees some of that living at the Palace, but he will be thinking more about how things can be improved.

I think

If I'm reading SEE correctly that they have barely begun working in steel. Therefore to attempt to use steel which until now has been rare and expensive (as well as hard to work) versus brass which they know well and have been using widely would be trying to run when they haven't even begun to crawl so to speak would be trying to take too large of a step. Meanwhile, improving what they do now will allow them to make the next steps easier. The concept of bearings is almost more important than the material they are made of, because once you get them working and know how to make them then moving to more durable material is a natural step.

Steel

Like most pre-industrial societies, I would think that the only people with much experience of steel would be those smiths making armaments.

Most others would be making implements of wrought or cast iron for practical use, (pots, lamps, hinges, etc - but no horseshoes here!) but for blades you have to have good steel. At that time, even armor would be mostly sheet iron.

Penny

Most of the steel they would

Most of the steel they would have been using up until then would be along the lines of puddling iron, or wrought iron. (This is what the Eiffel Tower is built from.) Technically, it's still _steel_, but it's not an alloy, and the carbon content is often low, and always somewhat uneven. So, they know how to use steel, and how to work with it, but they don't have any idea how to make it consistently good - and inexpensive.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Even early cannons and other

Even early cannons and other guns if they weren't made of bronze (due to cost), were made out of stuff like cast iron, which is brittle from having too much carbon.

Come to think of it, Fulvin

Come to think of it, Fulvin getting a prototyping space at the Palace makes perfect sense as to how all of the equipment in the laboratory gets upgraded and how they got to having properly machined solenoids and such, the upgrades to the steam engine and dynamo are likely a direct consequence of Fulvin's recent visit to Pakh Lane and Milsy dragging him from there. Also I would put this about 1 week before Garia and co reach the Palace. So in that time, a considerable amount has to be arranged though the steam engine could have been modified before this point, the generator would explain comments on how much wire they use.

Before long (though it may be

Before long (though it may be a while), there is going to need to be some massive renovation, both in the Palace and in the Pakh Lane area, in the Palace it will be to enable proper electrification, maybe at some point when the Royal family is traveling, thus they and a large number of the people living there will be elsewhere enabling easier work. Pakh Lane they need to demolish old buildings and replace them, to enable more efficient production and space utilization, Once Bayorn finds a place for a clock factory, they might be able to start reorganizing to enable construction without harming production, this would likely be after they start using trusses to help make their factories larger. Of course even just conjoining a couple that are next to each other will open up all the space that is in the middle for machinery.

Another quick fix option

Another quick fix option would be to up the supply voltage by either adding more plates to the battery or adding another battery.
That way with the longer runs by the time they got to the solenoid it would be the right voltage, and it would be a quick way to prove that the voltage drop was the problem.without having to run the heavier wires to find out.
In order to find out what is happening without a meter they could hook up a light to the battery and see how bright it glows then hook up the same light at the repeater clock and see if it was dimmer, this would prove the voltage drop issue, but I forget if they have developed a light bulb yet.
But in the long run heavier wires would be the way to go to keep the heat build up in the wires down.

Not so much a quick fix, for

Not so much a quick fix, for one you need to start with thicker wire to hand the current, then you need to consider the clocks closer in the circuit will get more voltage then they need potentially causing problems, and they would have to redesign the battery, or the battery cabinet, a lot of additional work that would involve completely redoing what they already have set up, and stuff beyond their scope of knowledge, they know next to nothing about battery design, resistance or anything beyond bare bones dc electricity, because that is what Garia told them, with the scope of knowledge they have, without redoing what they already have set up, or at least minimal alteration, relays are pretty much their only option.

Also they don't have electric lighting, they have, solonoids, buzzers, bells, DC motors, generators (dc), batteries, switches and arc welding as the limit of distinct electrical components and uses they have, the clocks are just an arrangement of solonoids and switches, even Milsy's rs latch is a solenoid.

It would be easier for them to make and use even a crude meter that has no useful numbers on it, than it would be to make a light bulb, with no idea on how to make a filament, (or knowledge of resistance) no vacuum pump, and no way to seal the bulb, also the power going through the clock circuit is very small, might not light an incandescent bulb, especially not with a pulsating current

Correct

Correct. We don't have lights as yet. Garia will bring back a sample from Earth, actually a pack of auto-related samples, but they will just be to show how it is done.

Fortunately, Milsy has a simpler way, which will appear in #25 if she doesn't get completely enmeshed in the big problems that face Eriana. Is it any wonder that the Princess will be a little out of sorts by the time Keren returns to the palace?

Penny

Plus even with the sample to

Plus even with the sample to show how to do it, electric lighting is not going to be easy to accomplish, despite the Incandescent light bulb being what we typically think of as the simplest electrical device out there, and in operating principles that may even be true, from a manufacturing stand point, there are more than a few challenges involved before you can have a practical and economically feasible bulb. Gas lighting will probably have considerable time before electric lighting competes, especially as the cost of implementation is extremely low, they can get fuel gas from a wide variety of processes, from pyrolysis to anaerobic digestion, and thats ignoring the gas trapped under ground, I can see that in a few years time, they will start to shift towards gas as the primary domestic and industrial fuel, hopefully with oderizer of course, simply because of cost and convenience.

Simple way, place a buzzer along the power wire at the connection box, or use a solenoid in a similar position and measure the solenoid's movement not unlike some older voltage regulators on cars.

As for Eriana, I always figured it was largely a bad case of culture shock, combined with Clark's Third Law (contributed to by Milsy), and the difference in scope and scale compared to what she is used to. I mean just in the Palace and on the road there, she will see works that at her home would be attributed to the likes of Thor (electricity), Heimdall (telescopes and semiphores), sheer quantity of steel and that very little of it is intended for military use will be bewildering.

Of course as a candidate for Paraland's next queen, it would be completely irresponsible of their Majesties to let her remain ignorant of Paraland's state of rapid advancement, planned developments, and current technological achievements as far as it doesn't effect security. And of course with Keren soon to return it would be best if she were brought up to speed before she says something that highlights her ignorance...

Who isn't sidetracked?

Jamie Lee's picture

Milsy sees the solenoid move but not far enough to do as it should. What she doesn't know, and can't measure, is the voltage drop each time a clock is added to the system. The kitchen clock won't work until she understands how to mitigate the voltage drop which keeps the solenoid from functioning properly.

Oh brother, the princess has arrived, and already showed her attitude. And looked down her nose at Milsy. However, Milsy has made a friend by telling her hinsass not to be upset at the driver since he was new to Palarand. Also, judging by the armsman's reaction he doesn't think much of the princess either.

Fulvin owes Milsy big time, for getting his fat out of the fire before it was known he was AWOL again. And yet, Robanar should be grateful that Fulvin is as excited about that zipper as others are of their own projects. Fulvin could have been like Morlan in every respect.

Others have feelings too.