Just make her happy

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Permission: 

“Come in and sit down Francine,” I said to the girl.

She came in and sat down.

“Now Francine, this is the third time Ms Hoare has sent you to me this term. You do know why you are here don’t you?”

Francine sighed.

“Yes Headmaster. Ms Hoare thinks that I'm wearing too much makeup.”

I smiled back at her. She was right there. Her face was a deathly white, her eyes and lips jet black with lots of black around her eyes. She wasn’t unattractive and that was why Ms Hoare probably sent her to me.

“I have to agree with her,” I replied.

Francine started to say something but I raised my hand to stop her.

“Francine, you are an attractive young lady yet you go out of your way to hide it. Why is that? Don’t answer yet. Are you afraid of being yourself?”

“Yes,” she said quietly.

“Why is that?”

“Don’t you know Sir? I’m ashamed. Ashamed to have to come here and see you not being yourself.”

She was right, 100% right.

“I know Francine but sometimes we can’t always be who we want to be. I have told you that many times.”

“What are you going to do to me? Detention?”

I smiled back at her.

“Will that work?”

She just grinned back at me.

“I rather think that doing the dishes for a month will suffice, don’t you?”

She nodded her head.

“You may go. Please go home and tell your mother that Rose will be around for dinner later.”

“Sir? Can I ask you something?”

“Ask away Francine. We are done with the school stuff are we not?”

“Sir, will it be you or Rose that marries my Mum?”

I chuckled.

“We’d both like it to be Rose but I need to keep my job a little longer. A couple of years and I’ll retire. Then if your mother will have her, Rose will come to stay. Does that answer your question?”

Francine smiled.

“Just make her happy. She deserves some happiness in her life?”

Francine got up from the chair and went towards the door. Before she got there, I said,

“Francine, how about toning down the makeup a bit? Lose the white face and Ms Hoare will be happy. Save the Goth look for the weekend eh? I know that both your mother and Rose would appreciate it as well.”

Francine smiled and walked out of my office. I swear that she did a silent ‘Yes’ as she walked away.

[the end]

up
273 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

its a pity

that she would have to give up the job to be herself.

But a nice story!

DogSig.png

Teen rebellion!

Looks like Francine is pushing Rose to be more present in her's and her mother's life. What an unusual thing for a teen to do. Not typical, but very loving.

Good one Samantha,

Santacruzman

well observed

If there were things in the past that made Francine and her mother very close then it is not out of the ordinary for Francine to want her mother to be happy in the future. Not all teenagers (I loathe the word 'teen' with a vengance') only communicate with their parents by text or with one syllable words apart from 'whatever'.
I wrote this little ditty after watching the TV series on UK Channel 4 called 'Ackley Bridge'. One of the techers has a daughter at the same school.
Just a bit of fun so thanks for commenting and I am glad that you enjoyed it.
Samantha

Very sweet!

laika's picture

I think this little family is going to be a happy fit for moms and daughter alike. And what the school doesn't know is probably a wise move in this less-than-ideal world. Although our "headmaster"'s retirement party might be a golden opportunity to drop a big old reveal-bomb on everyone she'd worked with for all those years.
~hugs, Veronica

.
The closest approximation to what it's like in my brain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u08E7c-FRbU&t=4s

Nice Story!

I had to read it through twice before I got it - what a cool idea. Samantha, every time I see you name after a story, I keep thinking you're a doctor :-)

As usual

another enjoyable story and fun story.

Thanks for sharing, just one thing where can I enrole at this school.

SamanthaAnn

Sorry...

The school is oversubscribed :) :) :wink:

I'm glad that you liked it.
Samantha

Not being yourself

Jamie Lee's picture

A very sweet story, and a very happy young lady.

Others have feelings too.